This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'd have Jazz<<<<<Trad<<<<<Baroque. Don't get to experience much live ever.
    We did some Baroque with the choir in the beforetime m9. Would have invited you if I'd known. Your Monteverdis, your Purcell's. Some serious bangers:

That's me at the back on the left obvs
    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Sorry m8 am gluten intolerant tha knows
      Rice cakes give you tonnes quick healthy of options to avoid processed snack foods.

Savory treat. Rice cakes. Anchovies. Pesto.

Sweet treat. Rice cakes and lashings of honey.

They were made for whacking on a fried egg with some, greens and a nice sauce or salsa.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Ethan Hawke has made some great movies. I love the Before Trilogy, Training Day and Boyhood.

Anyway seeing as Jazz popped up, why not give his Chet Baker biopic Born to Be Blue a spin. You don't have to be a Jazz aficionado to enjoy.

Sure while we are at it the Ken Burns Jazz documentary is well worth the watch.

Comment

We did some Baroque with the choir in the beforetime m9. Would have invited you if I'd known. Your Monteverdis, your Purcell's. Some serious bangers:
          That's class m8. I only ever sang with the DIT Kevin St choir, and my vocal range is pure shite. Being able to read music, and doing sight singing up to grade 6 in the DIT college of music made it feel ok though.
          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

No offence but Culture isnt so easily defined or dismissed .
            It sounds like people are fearful. That they think the mere act of taking a backroom from a pub is enough to topple a culture that lasted through 800 years of heartache. If the cultural interest is there, and it is, then the cultural outlet will simply switch to a new venue. The shutting down of The Screen cinema didn't end Dublin cinema going, in fact most people just remembered stories of how crap it was, and hence why it didn't have enough customers, and the business switched to the likes of the much better Lighthouse. Maybe it was the Cobblestones (backroom) time to die. Maybe we need some new dedicated venues that fix the problems of the old ones.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

There is nothing wrong with tradition. In fact it's super important. Odd to not agree IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                There is nothing wrong with tradition. In fact it's super important. Odd to not agree IMO.
                Who's disagreeing with it? Just pointing out that tradition isn't tied to a physical building. And turning a city centre building into something that will actually be used is not a bleedin attack on tradition.

Comment

Listening to trad music in a Dublin pub isn't a tradition though is it? I'd have fighting/smoking/raping well above it as things that could have been preserved as cultural norms.
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Who's disagreeing with it? Just pointing out that tradition isn't tied to a physical building. And turning a city centre building into something that will actually be used is not a bleedin attack on tradition.
                    We fit the city around who we are now, not who we were in the past. The fabric of the city will change. Things will turn into memories.
                    Maybe you don't mean it but your posts just seem very anti-tradition to me. Nothing in the past matters.Tear everything down - it doesn't matter, something else will replace it.

I've no connection to this pub- never been in it. Know nothing about it really. Could be a shithole for all i know. Maybe it should be replaced. But there seems to be genuine dismay about it so maybe it's the wrong decision?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'd have Jazz<<<<<Trad<<<<<Baroque. Don't get to experience much live ever.

Not sure what happened when I tried replying last time.

I grew up with Jazz. My Dad was a huge into it and we'd regularly head somewhere on a Sunday afternoon to listen to a band. I bizarrely remember that the airport hotel nearly always had a jazz band on a Sunday. I've always loved it since, but don't get to experience it live. Must try to route out some good live sessions.

Comment

I think the real culture of Dublin is happening on the likes of Capel Street. A street built from the ground up by a ragtag collection of eccentrics and foreigners, and its brilliant as a result. Thats what culture is - as in that's what the current generation of out and abouters are up to. Old places crumble and get mashed up and new places emerge and they are blends of cool new ideas. The lads in Smithfield obv weren't making a bomb if this is the situation - the people had moved on. To Capel Street, or *wherever*. The new culture is kimchi mayo korean bbq chicken, not auld lads thinking they are in the wilds of Kerry in the centre of dublin. Maybe, maybe not.
                        You do know that there are many forms of culture - food, music, film, theatre, literature, etc, etc?

You also get that lots of different types of culture can exist at the same time and that if anything, they help to support and breath life into each other, right?

How many of those ragtag eccentrics and foreigners on Capel St do you reckon own their own premises. What happens when the landlord discovers a more profitable trick and turfs them out regardless of whether people have 'moved on' or not?

The lads in Smithfield, i.e. The Cobblestone, don't own the building. The pub is operated by Tom Mulligan but the building is owned by Peter Marron of Marron Estates Ltd. The planning application is being made by the building owners as they feel that a hotel will make them more cash and obviously don't give a fuck about anything else.

Hotels aren't culture.

Comment

Tremendous sense of me heroically holding off a sneeze for nearly 13 minutes during O Sing Unto The Lord
                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

fucken nailed it tho

Comment

Midnight Mass is more my cup of tea. Netflix.

Comment

Insanely good theatrical experience this evening. To back up the shit one from last week.

Eight audience members sent down to the Pump House in Dublin Port. Then divided into two groups of four. Followed by a performance that took place around, and occasionally on top of, we audience members as we were whisked through various indoor and outdoor locations while the script unfolded. The actors included us in the play, both physically and emotionally. I volunteered myself to be shot at one stage.

The play is The Book of Names. Still buzzing after quite a few post-show sharpeners. 100% strongly recommend.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

You do know that there are many forms of culture - food, music, film, theatre, literature, etc, etc?

You also get that lots of different types of culture can exist at the same time and that if anything, they help to support and breath life into each other, right?

How many of those ragtag eccentrics and foreigners on Capel St do you reckon own their own premises. What happens when the landlord discovers a more profitable trick and turfs them out regardless of whether people have 'moved on' or not?

The lads in Smithfield, i.e. The Cobblestone, don't own the building. The pub is operated by Tom Mulligan but the building is owned by Peter Marron of Marron Estates Ltd. The planning application is being made by the building owners as they feel that a hotel will make them more cash and obviously don't give a fuck about anything else.

Hotels aren't culture.
                                  Hotels aren't culture. Office blocks in the IFSC aren't culture. Shipping containers aren't culture. Thank you Captain. I hate to break it to you, but we do some things for jobs also. Like the huge number of people supported by tourism in Ireland. Hotels are for tourists. The people who make those jobs for that sector.

I'm sure none of us would want to look at another sector and declare their jobs, being created out of largely a set of buildings that are derelict, as disposable.

And the whole point about a fluid city culture is that it keeps on moving around, adapting and flowing into new forms. Maybe premise insecurity is a good thing. The people who own their own premises are Costa and Weatherspoons. Maybe new forms of culture are meant to be precarious. If you can't handle change get out of the city perhaps. I'd say Dingle is wonderfully consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                    Insanely good theatrical experience this evening. To back up the shit one from last week.

Eight audience members sent down to the Pump House in Dublin Port. Then divided into two groups of four. Followed by a performance that took place around, and occasionally on top of, we audience members as we were whisked through various indoor and outdoor locations while the script unfolded. The actors included us in the play, both physically and emotionally. I volunteered myself to be shot at one stage.

The play is The Book of Names. Still buzzing after quite a few post-show sharpeners. 100% strongly recommend.
                                    That sounds amazing.

And I won't lessen your experience by noting that you managed to have a cultural experience without any premises at all, and most certainly didn't need to rely on a dastardly Finland-hating establishment.

Comment

I'd say Dingle is wonderfully consistent.
                                      Might fit that description.

It's also chocobloc busy pretty much all year round so maybe not the best example!

Comment

Maybe you don't mean it but your posts just seem very anti-tradition to me. Nothing in the past matters.Tear everything down - it doesn't matter, something else will replace it.

I've no connection to this pub- never been in it. Know nothing about it really. Could be a shithole for all i know. Maybe it should be replaced. But there seems to be genuine dismay about it so maybe it's the wrong decision?
                                        Personally, I think official Ireland puts far too much emphasis on tradition when its clear that aspects of that tradition have no popular support.

Like a century of teaching Irish because of tradition, pumping it down everyone's neck like a foie gras duck, and we have a few thousand full-time speakers. Its done, let the thing die.

Every school is Catholic because of tradition, despite the traditional religion being dead, except among the nearly-dead and kids on their communion day. Let it die. Yet the state supports it.

GAA I even have doubts over. Is it really popular, or would soccer be far more popular if given the same financial supports? Yet you get judged as a parent for not having the kids in the GAA club.

Irish dancing - just odd. Fair play on us for extracting a few billion out of it, but there's a reason it wasn't popular before or after.

Irish music, great. Love it. Ronnie Drew - top bloke.

But you can't help a man for being a bit anti-tradition when so much of shite traditions are pushed down our throats, and then people going around judging other people for thinking the whole tradition thing is a bit shite. We spend too much time preserving the past and not enough enjoying the present, and making the future better.

Comment

Personally, I think official Ireland puts far too much emphasis on tradition when its clear that aspects of that tradition have no popular support.

Like a century of teaching Irish because of tradition, pumping it down everyone's neck like a foie gras duck, and we have a few thousand full-time speakers. Its done, let the thing die.

Every school is Catholic because of tradition, despite the traditional religion being dead, except among the nearly-dead and kids on their communion day. Let it die. Yet the state supports it.

GAA I even have doubts over. Is it really popular, or would soccer be far more popular if given the same financial supports? Yet you get judged as a parent for not having the kids in the GAA club.

Irish dancing - just odd. Fair play on us for extracting a few billion out of it, but there's a reason it wasn't popular before or after.

Irish music, great. Love it. Ronnie Drew - top bloke.

But you can't help a man for being a bit anti-tradition when so much of shite traditions are pushed down our throats, and then people going around judging other people for thinking the whole tradition thing is a bit shite. We spend too much time preserving the past and not enough enjoying the present, and making the future better.
                                          I'd love to be able to speak Irish better. Annoyed i didn't apply myself better in school with it. Many of my friends are similar. I get that it has no real use abroad etc but it's still ours. I do think they need to concentrate less on it in school though. Like i think i had 6 classes a week of it in Secondary compared to probably 3 of Business, Economics etc - subjects that should probably matter more. A couple classes a week was probably sufficient.

GAA is deeply popular. No doubt about it. While soccer may not have the same financial supports you still have to remember it's rammed down our throats repeatedly by Sky and co.

Dancing i agree with you. Get rid of it!!

Comment

You are getting confused with tradition and culture.

Off to bed im traumatised by the last Episode of Midnight Mass

Comment

it's interesting to catch up on the above posts as I watch 'the hunger' on RTE. Like it or not, it does contextualise Irish history well, the seeds of GAA, the Irish Free State and the horror of (fucking) English rule back then. We do need to move on always there are too many anchors to the past held up as sacred. We trust that a small number of people will preserve our original language but we speak English. And I would double down on Hitchhiker's Guide To.... 'We spend too much time preserving the past and not enough enjoying the present, and making the future better.;

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                You are getting confused with tradition and culture.
                                                They are both intrinsically linked

Comment

Hotels aren't culture. Office blocks in the IFSC aren't culture. Shipping containers aren't culture. Thank you Captain. I hate to break it to you, but we do some things for jobs also. Like the huge number of people supported by tourism in Ireland. Hotels are for tourists. The people who make those jobs for that sector.

I'm sure none of us would want to look at another sector and declare their jobs, being created out of largely a set of buildings that are derelict, as disposable.

And the whole point about a fluid city culture is that it keeps on moving around, adapting and flowing into new forms. Maybe premise insecurity is a good thing. The people who own their own premises are Costa and Weatherspoons. Maybe new forms of culture are meant to be precarious. If you can't handle change get out of the city perhaps. I'd say Dingle is wonderfully consistent.
                                                  Of course we do things for jobs. Nobody is saying that we don't and that's separate to the issue.

Hotels are for tourists. Cities should mainly be for the people that live there first and for tourists second. When we get rid of all the things that tourists visit your city for, what are they going to do? Are they all going to come here, book into a hotel and then look at other hotels as part of their itinery?

Of course culture should adapt and flow into new forms but again, this is not what is happening here. Whole elements of culture are being wiped out as there is nowhere for them to go to. We have huge amounts of cultural spaces gone and not replaced, not because people wanted this to happen but because cash hungry people saw more dollars signs in a hotel.

Premise insecurity is a good thing? What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. I'm sure every person out there trying to run any sort of business regardless if it is around culture or anything else thinks how great it is that everything they do could be taken away at the drop of a hat. Your point on Costa and Wetherspoons is also bizarre. They don't add anything to this city in terms of culture yet they are the building owners, why would we want that, how is that ever a good thing?

Comment

That's it. Nah, it's 80sqm, they dodgily included the dimensions of the garage in the house size specs.
                                                    It should be the norm to include the garage. Ideally it would be made clear - Total Area: 100m2 (inc. Garage 20m2) - but real estate is all smoke and mirror right.
                                                    The negotiation part is interesting. You get to tell everyone about the 20k discount. The vendor are telling people that managed to sell it for 40k over valuation - almost had them at 20.
                                                    Both sides are happy, congrats.

Who's disagreeing with it? Just pointing out that tradition isn't tied to a physical building. And turning a city centre building into something that will actually be used is not a bleeding attack on tradition.
                                                    Whether or not the individual building is the worth is a case by case thing. But is seems like you have these notions across the board. Which is an extremely utilitarian, epicly bad take.
                                                    "But we need hotels, we need jobs" is a false dichotomy. You can build hotels and create jobs where preserving and respecting the past.

Comment

Of course we do things for jobs. Nobody is saying that we don't and that's separate to the issue.

Hotels are for tourists. Cities should mainly be for the people that live there first and for tourists second. When we get rid of all the things that tourists visit your city for, what are they going to do? Are they all going to come here, book into a hotel and then look at other hotels as part of their itinery?

Of course culture should adapt and flow into new forms but again, this is not what is happening here. Whole elements of culture are being wiped out as there is nowhere for them to go to. We have huge amounts of cultural spaces gone and not replaced, not because people wanted this to happen but because cash hungry people saw more dollars signs in a hotel.

Premise insecurity is a good thing? What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. I'm sure every person out there trying to run any sort of business regardless if it is around culture or anything else thinks how great it is that everything they do could be taken away at the drop of a hat. Your point on Costa and Wetherspoons is also bizarre. They don't add anything to this city in terms of culture yet they are the building owners, why would we want that, how is that ever a good thing?

My point about Costa and Weatherspoons is that those are the types of places you get when you have premise security. They can't operate in uncertainty.

And you are falling into a trap of "of course jobs are important, but you know my job, we don't need these pesky hotel jobs"

Anyway, the music isn't going to die. It will just move on, if the changed premise isn't quite right. Culture is not a building.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

You can build hotels and create jobs where preserving and respecting the past.
                                                        Did you read the story? They are keeping the pub, just building around it.

Did you see the specific buildings? They are turning a few derelict single-story buildings into a hotel. What large city in the world wouldn't use city centre space for things like building up? Certainly not Sydney.

Comment

Based on my TikTok viewing, what Dublin is crying out for, is not auld lads wailing on banjos or whatever, but honest-to-god proper speakeasys. The type where the place looks like a laundrette but actually one of the washing machines in the laundrette opens into a slide that you slide down to a hidden pub. Or Evans and Peel.

Cultural reawakenings ahoy.

Comment

Based on my TikTok viewing, what Dublin is crying out for, is not auld lads wailing on banjos or whatever, but honest-to-god proper speakeasys. The type where the place looks like a laundrette but actually one of the washing machines in the laundrette opens into a slide that you slide down to a hidden pub. Or Evans and Peel.

lol marketing. been to a few in London. novelty wears off very quickly. it's just a bar!

Comment

Hotels are not just for tourists. Booked into Regency (now theres a hotel with a fine history and culture to it ) for a few nights for the IPO in a couple weeks. JUST TO GET AWAY FROM WIFE AND KIDS. Shall enjoy it and told her its on in Kerry and i have to play it coz i won it last year, hence the nights away. Sure what can go wrong.

Plus i just finished supplying a new 90 bed hotel in Dublin. Moar Hotels i say.

Comment

My point about Costa and Weatherspoons is that those are the types of places you get when you have premise security. They can't operate in uncertainty.

And you are falling into a trap of "of course jobs are important, but you know my job, we don't need these pesky hotel jobs"

Anyway, the music isn't going to die. It will just move on, if the changed premise isn't quite right. Culture is not a building.
                                                                I'm not falling into any trap. I have never said that we don't need tourism or that we don't need hotels or that people shouldn't have jobs in that sector.

There must be approx quater of a million people in Ireland working in tourism and tourism is a vital part of our economy but there has to be a balance and we are fast losing the balance and not in a good way.

A city should be first and foremost about the people who live there. It should be operated in a such a way that it is a great place to live. It should have jobs from your IFSC's, your shipping containers and what not and it should be a vibrant cultural place. Because that is what will make it a place that tourists want to come and visit.

Tourists want to go visit somewhere to experience life in a new place. Obvs, there are tourists traps everywhere that don't reflect real life but with just the tiniest bit of effort, tourists can experience the real character, atmosphere and culture of the place they visit.

The problem we have now is that we are getting rid of so many things that make this city great, things that pull tourists in. If we keep going in this direction we'll get to a point where the tour itinery will be

1) Collection from hotel
                                                                2) Look at outside of buildings in IFSC
                                                                3) Visit another hotel lobby
                                                                3) Scabby, tasteless, overpriced sandwich at Costa for lunch
                                                                4) Looking at containers in Dublin port from the bus
                                                                5) Visit another hotel lobby
                                                                6) Microwaved cheese burger in Wetherspoons for dinner
                                                                7) Return to your hotel

Comment

This post just shows how out of touch you are on the subject.

We have had speakeasys here over the years. Ones that are behind a hidden door, ones that you have to call a mobile number at meet at a.certain point and they come collect you and bring you in through a back lane.

They were grand as a novelty but it soon wore off and most have closed because you know, culture changes, it moves on, we live in a fluid city. It you haven't noticed the change from us having speakeasys to not having them, could I suggest Dingle to you? *Insert tren emoji, can't do it on the phone*

Comment

Snip. Tis Friday . Too heavy .
                                                                    Last edited by Solksjaer!; 08-10-21, 09:55.

Comment

fucken nailed it tho
                                                                      Not all heros wear capes m8.
                                                                      But you totally should
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Welcome to immersive theatre, pretty much all I go to! That sounds great, all sold out now though.

They really went with dtf as an acronym
                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-10-21, 10:48.

Comment

Seems to be a lot of confidence in O'Callaghans first string in the 1.50 at Newmarket today

Comment

What weekend is the IPO?

Comment

This post just shows how out of touch you are on the subject.

We have had speakeasys here over the years. Ones that are behind a hidden door, ones that you have to call a mobile number at meet at a.certain point and they come collect you and bring you in through a back lane.

They were grand as a novelty but it soon wore off and most have closed because you know, culture changes, it moves on, we live in a fluid city. It you haven't noticed the change from us having speakeasys to not having them, could I suggest Dingle to you? *Insert tren emoji, can't do it on the phone*

No, I'd looked at the hidden pig, or whatever it's called, and been to vintage cocktails. But they lack the immersive theatre aspect of what I linked to.

Plus, if you think that post was a serious request for cultural development, I have an idea around Tesco Speed Dating I want to pitch you. *insert emoji*

Comment

On a slightly related note. I'm just into town for a lunch to welcome a Chinese PhD to Ireland. I'd initially booked Boxty House as perhaps a culturally appropriate signal of Irish cuisine, and then my wife said wtf - who wants to eat potato cakes. I said, easy there cabbage eater. As that's how we call each other. Potato and Cabbage. But then when I had a moments reflection I did think - why am I inflicting Irish potato culture on this poor Chinese guy just off the plane? So I rebooked us into Fade Street Social as a better signifier of modern Dublin culture. Living my words. Out with the old, in with the new. Together we engage on the long march forward.

Comment

That sounds amazing.

And I won't lessen your experience by noting that you managed to have a cultural experience without any premises at all, and most certainly didn't need to rely on a dastardly Finland-hating establishment.

My final word on all this malarkey. I love the way you read the Duke's review and then choose to completely ignore it and make up something to suit your argument. I think this is your debating style

Originally posted by The Duke
                                                                                  we were whisked through various indoor and outdoor locations
                                                                                  Hitch

without any premises at all

An indoor location is no longer a premises

Comment

No, I'd looked at the hidden pig, or whatever it's called, and been to vintage cocktails. But they lack the immersive theatre aspect of what I linked to.

Plus, if you think that post was a serious request for cultural development, I have an idea around Tesco Speed Dating I want to pitch you. *insert emoji*

Who hasn't been chatted up in Tesco?

Comment

Did you read the story? They are keeping the pub, just building around it.

Did you see the specific buildings? They are turning a few derelict single-story buildings into a hotel. What large city in the world wouldn't use city centre space for things like building up? Certainly not Sydney.
                                                                                      Nothing in my post related to the specific building.
                                                                                      And nothing in your bad take related to the specific building either.

Had you said, it’s of entire no significance and not worth preserving or respecting. That’d be an opinion. People might disagree, but they can’t fault your logic.

“The past is meaningless and can be left to memories. Build for progress” is the lol bad take. Which is why I asked if you were talking about the building specifically or just planning in general - it very much sounded like the latter.

Absolutely Sydney builds up. I’ve says fir tears that Dublin needs to build up. To do that you don’t need to bulldoze the past.

Comment

I've no idea. But I'd also say there were more concerts in 2019 in Dublin than there were in 2000. So they're going somewhere.
                                                                                        Concerts are not the same as small music venues. Do you think aspiring new musicians get their breaks at big concerts?
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Was prob only there about 10 times spread over a few years but I do miss it.

The Sunday afternoon session upstairs was phenomenal.
                                                                                          These posts prove the point. We all like to reminisce about places we were in once or twice and hope they will be there for ever. But if they are not 'supported' by sufficient regulars they will not be profitable enough and will go into other potentially more profitable uses. I doubt many here (Dub's included) frequented Smithfield on regular nights out.

Comment

On a slightly related note. I'm just into town for a lunch to welcome a Chinese PhD to Ireland. I'd initially booked Boxty House as perhaps a culturally appropriate signal of Irish cuisine, and then my wife said wtf - who wants to eat potato cakes. I said, easy there cabbage eater. As that's how we call each other. Potato and Cabbage. But then when I had a moments reflection I did think - why am I inflicting Irish potato culture on this poor Chinese guy just off the plane? So I rebooked us into Fade Street Social as a better signifier of modern Dublin culture. Living my words. Out with the old, in with the new. Together we engage on the long march forward.
                                                                                            Etto would be good too - excellent local food in a relaxed setting: https://www.etto.ie/

Comment

For me it's not about any specific pub or venue, sure some of them I would have visited regularly and miss when they go, but venues come and go that will always be the way.

It's the crazy trend of pulling down cultural venues for hotels, with no thought into how to maintain a good level of cultural venues throughout the city. What's the point of loads of hotels for tourists of the hotels were built over what they might come to see.

For example the Tivoli was a kip, and it had to go eventually but somewhere that big that meant so much to so many should not be allowed to he destroyed without delivering a similar venue elsewhere or at the same site.
                                                                                              ​​​​​​​
                                                                                              Needs to be a proper approach to ensure a decent level of both can be maintained.
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

These posts prove the point. We all like to reminisce about places we were in once or twice and hope they will be there for ever. But if they are not 'supported' by sufficient regulars they will not be profitable enough and will go into other potentially more profitable uses. I doubt many here (Dub's included) frequented Smithfield on regular nights out.
                                                                                                The bit you are missing is that The Cobblestone is supported by sufficient regulars. It's a viable going concern. The owner of the building (who doesn't run the pub) just wants to milk it for all the cash it can and they feel that is through a hotel.

It was similar for JJ's - it was very well supported but new owners came in and wanted to change the music venue upstairs into tiny (10 - 14 sqm sized) short terms lets. Again - all down to money.

I've no problem with culture changing, people moving on and places closing, that happens, it's life - it's when somewhere is a cultural hub, that is a viable going concern, that people want, is taken away to be replaced by a hotel or short term lets, that's what annoys me, the sterilization of the city.

Comment

I believe what Lao Lao is proposing is called ... *whisper it* ... communism. All buildings, even if individually owned, must be used for societies benefit. Why wouldn't the person who owns the building use it for what maximises their value within the legal uses? Its *their* investment - their hard-earned money. The person who rents the building wanting to dictate its longterm economic value is a bizarre idea. There I was thinking I was the commie plant, but it was Chairman Lao all along.

Comment

On a less flippant note - how did the likes of the Lighthouse get its funding? Do we need that type of model to support new venues. Outside of Dublin a lot of these cultural spaces are built by the government. Maybe that would be a more permanent space.

Comment

Random question that the likes of sickpuppy might know: do truffles grow in Ireland?

Comment

Former Nazi camp guard, 100, tells German court he is 'innocent'

Interesting case for many reasons. Part of me wonders what's the point at this stage.
                                                                                                        I expect the prosecution will present irrefutable evidence that he aided and abetted.

..........he insisted that he "knows nothing" about what happened.
                                                                                                        Interesting that this was the defense the whole country used after the war, in relation to the camps and it is now being held up to scrutiny once more.

The bit about the use of Zyklon B is interesting. Sachsenhausen wasn't a "Death Camp" per se, but was used for R&D to develop the most efficient system for mass killing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                          Welcome to immersive theatre, pretty much all I go to! That sounds great, all sold out now though.
                                                                                                          It was great.

At one point, we were in a larger hall with a bunch of actors doing a scene where they were planning an attack on the Brits (was set in the War of Independence) and I sensed movement in the dimly-lit room behind me. Went in there and there was an actor rolling around on the floor doing a scene all by himself. So I stayed there to give him some company for a while and he told me his character's story. Later on in the show, my friend got taken into a backroom where he got drawn into the play and was choosing faces out of a photo album. Then he found out that he had chosen people to be executed by the IRA.

Was seriously high octane, plenty of very physical dance moves thrown in as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                            Former Nazi camp guard, 100, tells German court he is 'innocent'

Interesting case for many reasons. Part of me wonders what's the point at this stage.
                                                                                                            I expect the prosecution will present irrefutable evidence that he aided and abetted.

Interesting that this was the defense the whole country used after the war, in relation to the camps and it is now being held up to scrutiny once more.

The bit about the use of Zyklon B is interesting. Sachsenhausen wasn't a "Death Camp" per se, but was used for R&D to develop the most efficient system for mass killing.

Given some of the trends in politics in the last decade, it's probably more important than ever that we have real examples of what happens when your politics become toxic.

Comment

Random question that the likes of sickpuppy might know: do truffles grow in Ireland?
                                                                                                              Truffle season is winter, so I’d guess Ireland has the weather for it. Plenty of other wild mushrooms grow in winter. Some delicious, move magical

Comment

It was great.

At one point, we were in a larger hall with a bunch of actors doing a scene where they were planning an attack on the Brits (was set in the War of Independence) and I sensed movement in the dimly-lit room behind me. Went in there and there was an actor rolling around on the floor doing a scene all by himself. So I stayed there to give him some company for a while and he told me his character's story. Later on in the show, my friend got taken into a backroom where he got drawn into the play and was choosing faces out of a photo album. Then he found out that he had chosen people to be executed by the IRA.

Was seriously high octane, plenty of very physical dance moves thrown in as well.
                                                                                                                I went to a similar one in London that had my brother acting in it. It was about a real life event where one night the brits stormed a pub in Dublin and killed people. One moment you are there having tea and bread with the family, next there are people banging down the door and my brother is drawing a gun with his wife pleading me to take it from him. An interesting thing about that one was that groups see scenes in a different order and it affected whether you would take the gun from him or not. My group was a bit confused since my brother looks like me, am I in the play too? At one point I was consoling a woman whose husband had just been killed, there were a lot of the crowd actually crying during it.

Which brings me back to the play I posted the other week here that I will go to see in London, it's essentially the tiptop of this kind of performance, when it gets taken to the next level.

Comment

I went to a similar one in London that had my brother acting in it. It was about a real life event where one night the brits stormed a pub in Dublin and killed people. One moment you are there having tea and bread with the family, next there are people banging down the door and my brother is drawing a gun with his wife pleading me to take it from him. An interesting thing about that one was that groups see scenes in a different order and it affected whether you would take the gun from him or not. My group was a bit confused since my brother looks like me, am I in the play too? At one point I was consoling a woman whose husband had just been killed, there were a lot of the crowd actually crying during it.

Which brings me back to the play I posted the other week here that I will go to see in London, it's essentially the tiptop of this kind of performance, when it gets taken to the next level.
                                                                                                                  Seen a similar one here. Based on a true story of two warring matriarchs in Sydney’s 1920s. One running a brothel, the other a speakeasy. The cast was various burlesque brazzers, bootleggers and a drug peddling magician.
                                                                                                                  The venue was a speakeasy place, different rooms of a kings cross back lane. And depending on whether you sat you seen a different sequence.

Comment

Given some of the trends in politics in the last decade, it's probably more important than ever that we have real examples of what happens when your politics become toxic.
                                                                                                                    Another case this week was a 96 year old who was a secretary in a nazi camp. I didn't read much into it, but I can't imagine she had much of a choice in the job, so theres hardly much of a lesson to be learned except that if you are fighting a war, make sure to win it. Just to be clear she wasn't an office manager, just a secretary. It seems very old testament eye for an eye, as befits the faith. Not sure it's the right modern approach.
                                                                                                                    ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

The venue was a speakeasy place
                                                                                                                      Proper culture

Loving all these immersive theatre ideas

Comment

I believe what Lao Lao is proposing is called ... *whisper it* ... communism. All buildings, even if individually owned, must be used for societies benefit. Why wouldn't the person who owns the building use it for what maximises their value within the legal uses? Its *their* investment - their hard-earned money. The person who rents the building wanting to dictate its longterm economic value is a bizarre idea. There I was thinking I was the commie plant, but it was Chairman Lao all along.
                                                                                                                        No I'm not and you know I'm not so give over.

Comment

I've probably got this arseways but I know the BBV will clear this up. A good friend of mine mentioned some immersive performance (supposedly a very well known one) gained some unwanted notoriety due to audience over-participation. Some clandestine and not so clandestine riding and other high jinks were happening during the scenes but had nothing to do with the show itself.

Attention seekers aside though, I'm fascinated by the idea of immersive theatre. Sounds like the makings of a good night out. Was bummed to see the show RD3 linked to sold out.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X