This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
    Broke my thumb hurling years ago..spent about 3 or 4 days working etc in pain all swollen...Medic in the Fitz took one look ..broken no question.

Had to go to a GP to get referral. Hardly looked at the thumb said he was more worried about my wrist!! Very slight bony protrusion on my wrist and hes all over it like hes made a major discovery . Now my thumb was swollen to about 1.5 size.. tight and sore black and blue. Told him it was a specific hurling injury definitely on the thumb and him mesmerised with my wrist. Me dubiously checking the framed qualification certs on the wall. "Oh, was that an online course you did on skeletal systems?".
    Was the wrist ok in the end?

I assume a broken thumb is obvious. But a bone sticking out of the wrist is hardly normal. Sounds like both where done.

@HH
    A customer of mine was into ETH last year. In Portugal now trading due to massive CGT bill of over 300k on his ETH profits.
    Tipped Cardano as a mover. It was 1.12 when he tipped. Went to 2.40 now @ 1.93 or so.
    I've heard a lot of people doing similar due to crypto CGT. I wonder what the plan is. Portugal means no tax on future crypto. The current 300k bill doesn't go away.
    But no idea how they are policing this, if at all.
    Last edited by Mellor; 07-10-21, 08:42.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'd be happy to use them.
      Mighty. Send me your email address and I'll forward them on

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

It is.
        ‘Let’s keep the interesting parts of Dublin sacred’ – fears for character of Cobblestone pub in hotel plan

Friend of mine is heavily involved in the scene and was in there last night.

​​
        Wait. I thought they were knocking it down. They are just building a hotel around the structure, while retaining the pub. Planning applications are most definitely the opium of the Irish people. Worrying about if a pub will lose a backroom while the gov says how it will shape the actual physical future of the country with €165 billion spending, unopposed.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

What we need to do in Ireland is everytime there's a news story about a ramshackle building being knocked down for apartments is to personally hand deliver a letter to the journalist who wrote about it saying: fuck off and do some actual journalism. It doesn't matter. We've been made to believe it matters, but it simply doesn't. There's going to be loads more city centre hotels as tourism is maybe 50,000 jobs in Dublin alone, there's going to be hundreds of thousands of more apartments, over the next few decades, as we modernise the city making it capable of handling almost double the population. That's the way it is. We fit the city around who we are now, not who we were in the past. The fabric of the city will change. Things will turn into memories.

Comment

Sky Glass, I'm blown away!! The excitement is real
            Her sky-ness
            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
              Will they be on sale here soon ?
              This too shall pass.

Comment

I hate to be all grumpy mcgrumpersome in my posts this morning, - but their innovation to replace the dish they put on your house, is to charge you an extra €40 a month, on top of your regular channels subscription charge, for a tv with the sky version of a cheapo chromecast dongle? And its a telly you don't need, at a cost of €40 a month, given everyone already has a telly, and whose only purpose is to fix a satellite problem that is sky's problem not the customers. This is a shit sandwich, packed with oozing shit, and made of solid shit bread. The only reason it makes sense to you is that Sky gave you the telly for free. Its surely not going to work in the market, as the cost is huge.

Comment

If the Cobblestone wasn't a rancid shithole tourist trap it wouldn't be up for replacement by something better.

FFS! it wouldn't make it onto any reasonable persons list of 50 Dublin pubs worth preserving and you can be certain that the overall quality of traditional music in Ireland will increase when the filthy kip is expunged from history.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    If the Cobblestone wasn't a rancid shithole tourist trap it wouldn't be up for replacement by something better.

FFS! it wouldn't make it onto any reasonable persons list of 50 Dublin pubs worth preserving and you can be certain that the overall quality of traditional music in Ireland will increase when the filthy kip is expunged from history.
                    Its not even up for replacement. They are building the hotel around it in order to preserve it. The protests are about how, maybe, a backroom might be altered.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I hate to be all grumpy mcgrumpersome in my posts this morning, - but their innovation to replace the dish they put on your house, is to charge you an extra €40 a month, on top of your regular channels subscription charge, for a tv with the sky version of a cheapo chromecast dongle? And its a telly you don't need, at a cost of €40 a month, given everyone already has a telly, and whose only purpose is to fix a satellite problem that is sky's problem not the customers. This is a shit sandwich, packed with oozing shit, and made of solid shit bread. The only reason it makes sense to you is that Sky gave you the telly for free. Its surely not going to work in the market, as the cost is huge.
                      You'll be back to eat your words, I can't say much more
                      Her sky-ness
                      © 5starpool

Comment

@HH, where's the list of insider tips for Denmark?
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

What we need to do in Ireland is everytime there's a news story about a ramshackle building being knocked down for apartments is to personally hand deliver a letter to the journalist who wrote about it saying: fuck off and do some actual journalism. It doesn't matter. We've been made to believe it matters, but it simply doesn't. There's going to be loads more city centre hotels as tourism is maybe 50,000 jobs in Dublin alone, there's going to be hundreds of thousands of more apartments, over the next few decades, as we modernise the city making it capable of handling almost double the population. That's the way it is. We fit the city around who we are now, not who we were in the past. The fabric of the city will change. Things will turn into memories.
                          Yep sick of all the NIMBY crap Dublin seems to be full of it- not knocking buildings because someone tangentially related to 1916 slept there a few nights etc
                          we need progress and I’m putting my feelings out there for all to see
                          7FD27BC5-A13E-4460-82A1-BFECA4873BB8.jpeg
                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

What we need to do in Ireland is everytime there's a news story about a ramshackle building being knocked down for apartments is to personally hand deliver a letter to the journalist who wrote about it saying: fuck off and do some actual journalism. It doesn't matter. We've been made to believe it matters, but it simply doesn't.
                            Are you saying it doesn't matter in any case? That's an impressively bad take if so.
                            Whether or not it matter in this case is is not the point.

There's going to be loads more city centre hotels as tourism is maybe 50,000 jobs in Dublin alone, there's going to be hundreds of thousands of more apartments, over the next few decades, as we modernise the city making it capable of handling almost double the population. That's the way it is. We fit the city around who we are now, not who we were in the past. The fabric of the city will change. Things will turn into memories.
                            None of that justifies ignoring the past. Dublin isn't stuck for hotel potential.
                            It's quite easy to change something without deleting it.

Comment

the firestick is IN the tv and I'm paying for the TV on tick?
                              This futuristic model of renting tvs is inspiring
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Hitch is the dastardly guy in the movies trying to build on Indian burial grounds.......

An Bord Pleanála said it is 'not satisfied that the site was not previously used as, and does not contain, a children's burial ground'
                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Meanwhile decrepit Moore holds up what should be a huge devolvement in center of the city. That hoarding on O'Connell street has been there for as long as I can remember.

Comment

How much would a petrol station make, approximately, for selling, say, €50 of electricity?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                      Was the wrist ok in the end?

I assume a broken thumb is obvious. But a bone sticking out of the wrist is hardly normal. Sounds like both where done.

I've heard a lot of people doing similar due to crypto CGT. I wonder what the plan is. Portugal means no tax on future crypto. The current 300k bill doesn't go away.
                                      But no idea how they are policing this, if at all.

The wrist was perfect and I knew that going in. It's just a bit knobbly looking (but well within knobbly bone parameters)where the forearm meets hand on the outside edge.He didnt even think the thumb was broken!! I was basically just wanting a referral letter so I could get it treated quicker in ER

On the Crypto dont know if he had to swallow and pay it and hes protecting future earnings. Either way he made a chunk and if be was into Cardano then another chunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

It is interesting and skirts around some interesting points, but it's also pretty self-serving and a little lacking in intellectual rigour! Matt Levine has been writing about problems with ESG in Bloomberg for the last few months, it's pretty interesting reading.
                                        Looking at this a lot more for work, the FT pieces especially with BlackRocks former head of ESG were interesting.

Comment

Our house hunting journey seems to have finished today with the vendors signing on the dotted line. A somewhat unimaginative journey given that we bought a house we saw on the very first day.

Quite an interesting situation on the close though, which I have to thank my car driving instructor for. The basic situation is that we agreed to pay €610,000 for a bog standard council house measuring a grand total of 80sqm, and everything was going grand until the bank valuer came back and said its not worth a penny over €550,000 - so the mortgage was stuck to that amount.

That left us with a €60,000 hole to fill as we genuinely like the place and the vibe it gives off, despite me dismissing it above as a small run-down council house.

How we did that was first to get the mortgage valuer to increase his valuation. We tried to get him to go half the distance, but he would only reluctantly go up €10,000. And that was just a favour to the broker. €10,000 down and €50,000 to go. We were going to give up and then I decided to give it a last push remembering what my driving instructor said about him and his siblings selling their parents house. He said the broker, when they were selling, had implored him to wait another another month or two before closing and there might be an extra €20,000 in it. He said - well whats €20,000 to me - it will be divided four ways with the rest of the family and what if the sale falls through. Grab the duck in hand not the 20k richer duck in the bush.

And that's what our situation was, approximately. Three siblings selling for their father who had lived there happily since 1959 and was now in assisted living. I sold €30,000 of my precious crypto, narrowing the remaining gap to €20,000, and we went back and said - look we can close tomorrow, everything is ready to sign. The bank has the mortgage ready to pay out. Except that we can't go over €590,000. Really sorry, we'd love to pay you what we initially promised, but we physically can't due to that darned valuer. They came back the next day saying no bother, let's sign. Everyones happy. And I get to write about how I negotiated 20k off a house at the height of the boomiest boom in boomtimes. (leaving unquestioned the idea that maybe we agreed to overpay so much, that even the seller felt sorry for our cluelessness).
                                          Congratulations and well done on negotiations and getting the 20k off. No doubt you'll write a paper on it, "The Art of the Property Deal" would be my suggestion.
                                          Just can't get over 590k for a 80sqm gaff in Deansgrange.
                                          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

This is a terrible take - People aren't against progress. People are against the cleansing of the city of all cultural centers. We've lost so many venues over the last few years, it absolutely ridiculous. Will the Cobblestone be knocked down, no, but it will be structurally altered, reducing the size of it and changing the character of it. Putting a building that is donkey's years old into a brand new shiny building isn't a good idea. I saw them do it in Singapore with an old Chinese market and the place was just sterile as fuck.

We do not need more hotels, we have a shit ton of them already.

Comment

The wrist was perfect and I knew that going in. It's just a bit knobbly looking (but well within knobbly bone parameters)where the forearm meets hand on the outside edge.He didnt even think the thumb was broken!! I was basically just wanting a referral letter so I could get it treated quicker in ER

On the Crypto dont know if he had to swallow and pay it and hes protecting future earnings. Either way he made a chunk and if be was into Cardano then another chunk.
                                              Ah right I was thinking it was a new knobby bone, or a boney knob that wasn’t there before.

as for the crypto, he probably just pissed office without paying. No idea who actively they police or chase these guys

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To...

Comment

PSV is back, in Strewel form!
                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

This is a terrible take - People aren't against progress. People are against the cleansing of the city of all cultural centers. We've lost so many venues over the last few years, it absolutely ridiculous. Will the Cobblestone be knocked down, no, but it will be structurally altered, reducing the size of it and changing the character of it. Putting a building that is donkey's years old into a brand new shiny building isn't a good idea. I saw them do it in Singapore with an old Chinese market and the place was just sterile as fuck.
                                                    It's literally the worst part of the pub being removed. Nothing of value will be lost. Yes there is a pattern of cultural hubs being replaced by sterile, modren buildings. This is not one of them.

We do not need more hotels, we have a shit ton of them already.
                                                    The market and pricing indicate the exact opposite of this is true.
                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Our house hunting journey seems to have finished today with the vendors signing on the dotted line. A somewhat unimaginative journey given that we bought a house we saw on the very first day.

Quite an interesting situation on the close though, which I have to thank my car driving instructor for. The basic situation is that we agreed to pay €610,000 for a bog standard council house measuring a grand total of 80sqm, and everything was going grand until the bank valuer came back and said its not worth a penny over €550,000 - so the mortgage was stuck to that amount.

That left us with a €60,000 hole to fill as we genuinely like the place and the vibe it gives off, despite me dismissing it above as a small run-down council house.

How we did that was first to get the mortgage valuer to increase his valuation. We tried to get him to go half the distance, but he would only reluctantly go up €10,000. And that was just a favour to the broker. €10,000 down and €50,000 to go. We were going to give up and then I decided to give it a last push remembering what my driving instructor said about him and his siblings selling their parents house. He said the broker, when they were selling, had implored him to wait another another month or two before closing and there might be an extra €20,000 in it. He said - well whats €20,000 to me - it will be divided four ways with the rest of the family and what if the sale falls through. Grab the duck in hand not the 20k richer duck in the bush.

And that's what our situation was, approximately. Three siblings selling for their father who had lived there happily since 1959 and was now in assisted living. I sold €30,000 of my precious crypto, narrowing the remaining gap to €20,000, and we went back and said - look we can close tomorrow, everything is ready to sign. The bank has the mortgage ready to pay out. Except that we can't go over €590,000. Really sorry, we'd love to pay you what we initially promised, but we physically can't due to that darned valuer. They came back the next day saying no bother, let's sign. Everyones happy. And I get to write about how I negotiated 20k off a house at the height of the boomiest boom in boomtimes. (leaving unquestioned the idea that maybe we agreed to overpay so much, that even the seller felt sorry for our cluelessness).
                                                      Congrats! Is that the one you wanted to renovate/expand? Thought it was ~100m^2. A friend sent me a house in Stoneybatter that put up a for sale sign the other day, they put up a sold sign the next day haha.

Comment

Off the top of my head, we've lost;
                                                        The tivoli, andrews lane, Jigsaw, The bernard shaw, Ri Ra, the globe, Jam Park, the pod, the red box, the metropolitan, the belvedere, rogue, hanger to the progress of more hotels in the last few years. Vicar street & merchants arch are other places on the chopping block
                                                        I'm sure I'm missing loads more. Whether you personally value them as culturally important, we seem to be in a habit of destroying or replacing large parts of what attracts people to visit Dublin or venues that are important to people living in Dublin in order to house people who visit Dublin for a short time.
                                                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 07-10-21, 14:55.
                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Rome

Food
                                                          drink
                                                          Women ​​​​​​

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

It's literally the worst part of the pub being removed. Nothing of value will be lost. Yes there is a pattern of cultural hubs being replaced by sterile, modren buildings. This is not one of them.

It'd be absorbed into the hotel. Only the small front bar would remain and according to Tom would be a residents bar. Him and the family are gonna fight it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                              Rome

Food
                                                              drink
                                                              Women ​​​​​​

Someones on their third glass of vino

Comment

There is a certain type of Roman lady that drops you dead with a Godfather style lightning bolt of pure love and lust. The perfect beauty. Poised and perfect. We've all seen her.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                  Congrats! Is that the one you wanted to renovate/expand? Thought it was ~100m^2. A friend sent me a house in Stoneybatter that put up a for sale sign the other day, they put up a sold sign the next day haha.
                                                                  That's it. Nah, it's 80sqm, they dodgily included the dimensions of the garage in the house size specs.

Comment

the firestick is IN the tv and I'm paying for the TV on tick?
                                                                    This futuristic model of renting tvs is inspiring
                                                                    It is clever in a rather insidious way.
                                                                    Now the yearly call to get a better deal can be answer with, ok we'll be around monday to pick up the tv.

Comment

There is a certain type of Roman lady that drops you dead with a Godfather style lightning bolt of pure love and lust. The perfect beauty. Poised and perfect. We've all seen her.
                                                                      Remember that old adage,
                                                                      if you want to see her future look at the mother.

Comment

Off the top of my head, we've lost;
                                                                        The tivoli, andrews lane, Jigsaw, The bernard shaw, Ri Ra, the globe, Jam Park, the pod, the red box, the metropolitan, the belvedere, rogue, hanger to the progress of more hotels in the last few years. Vicar street & merchants arch are other places on the chopping block
                                                                        I'm sure I'm missing loads more. Whether you personally value them as culturally important, we seem to be in a habit of destroying or replacing large parts of what attracts people to visit Dublin or venues that are important to people living in Dublin in order to house people who visit Dublin for a short time.
                                                                        But what you are describing there is just a bit of history progressing as to specific location. I would wager that there's far more concerts happening now (covid effects aside) than happened in e.g. these venues heyday of the early 2000s. So it's not stopping the flow of concerts. We're just changing the location. Culture isn't actually being destroyed.

​​​​​​

Comment

1200 users for *B u m p* now, 800 of which are active weekly. Which, in the grand scheme of things, is .01% of what I'd like to get too. But its some going for literally zero marketing, and 5 golf courses using it.

There is a disproportionate amount of women using it....

Way more than the proportion of women playing golf v men.

I figured, hey maybe women are just smarted and more patient about getting tee times.

nope.

It's because it sits amongst all the pregnancy apps.

I used to make fun of devs for naming things horrendously. Looks who's laughing now.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

But what you are describing there is just a bit of history progressing as to specific location. I would wager that there's far more concerts happening now (covid effects aside) than happened in e.g. these venues heyday of the early 2000s. So it's not stopping the flow of concerts. We're just changing the location. Culture isn't actually being destroyed.

​​​​​​
                                                                            The years have made me bitter, the gargle dims me brain
                                                                            'Cause Dublin keeps on changing and nothing seems the same.
                                                                            The tivoli and the Pod have gone, the Cobblestone long since pulled down
                                                                            As a hundred thousand hotels makes a theme park of my Town.

Comment

​​​​​​
                                                                              What are the new locations they have changed to?
                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Fish jumping in the canal up by Baggot St bridge just now. Strange days.

In the good auld days they would have been dead on the toxicity of Ronnie Drew's piss which was pumped in raw from O'Donoghues.
                                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The market and pricing indicate the exact opposite of this is true.

The back room is the gig venue. It'll only be left with the front bar which is used for sessions and can fit what, 50 max?

Upstairs will also be gone which held music and Irish classes.

If this goes ahead as planned, it will become a hotel lobby bar and will have all the character, soul and atmosphere of one too.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

What are the new locations they have changed to?
                                                                                    I've no idea. But I'd also say there were more concerts in 2019 in Dublin than there were in 2000. So they're going somewhere.

Comment

The years have made me bitter, the gargle dims me brain
                                                                                      'Cause Dublin keeps on changing and nothing seems the same.
                                                                                      The tivoli and the Pod have gone, the Cobblestone long since pulled down
                                                                                      As a hundred thousand hotels makes a theme park of my Town.
                                                                                      I'd campaign for you to have a historic venue to recite slam poetry. Sign me up, good sir.

Comment

Give us your top 50 Dublin pubs there worth preserving?

Your beloved Lankum think very differently about The Cobblestone...

Comment

I've no idea what I'm talking about on this topic!
                                                                                          FYP

Comment

Your beloved Lankum think very differently about The Cobblestone...
                                                                                            It reminds me of the JJ Smyths debate. When was the last time anyone was actually there?

For me it was 1996, and I only used it as an early house. Doubt I was ever in it past 11am. Tried going in October 2019 and it wasn't even open at 4pm.
                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Got some Njuda. Spread it on some rice cakes. It was fine. Then I sprinkled some Henderson's Relish on it and it was fucking whopper. Unbelievable combo.

Comment

AndyPoshBastard
                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

It reminds me of the JJ Smyths debate. When was the last time anyone was actually there?

For me it was 1996, and I only used it as an early house. Doubt I was ever in it past 11am. Tried going in October 2019 and it wasn't even open at 4pm.
                                                                                                  Was prob only there about 10 times spread over a few years but I do miss it.

The Sunday afternoon session upstairs was phenomenal.

Comment

One of the best gigs I've ever been to was in there one Sunday afternoon. My first time there.

A band called Raindogs. The lead singer was a rough looking Dublin oul lad, sinking pints and growling out his take on Astral Weeks.

Sitting there drinking Budvar by candlelight in the middle of the afternoon.

We stumbled upon it too.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                      AndyPoshBastard
                                                                                                      Tha saying Hendos from Sheffield is posh lad? Ya wanna beef or wat?

Comment

Tha saying Hendos from Sheffield is posh lad? Ya wanna beef or wat?
                                                                                                        Ay up, if it was a breadcake m8.

Bleedin rice cake

Comment

Two weeks before the 1st lockdown last year was the last time I was there. Haven't been in it since but I've been in a very small number of pubs since.

Mate lived in Smithfield so it was always a good option. I do remember getting a few funny looks early one Sunday afternoon, before the music session started for the day, when four of us pulled out two chess boards and started playing a few games while sinking pints.

I'd have no problem stating that Trad music isn't my number 1 go to genre but I've had some great nights at Trad sessions and The Cobblestone is a huge focal point & hub for that element of culture. I don't think we can just stick up for/fight for one element that we like the most, we need to fight for it all as otherwise, it'll only be a heap of sterile shite in the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Ay up, if it was a breadcake m8.

Bleedin rice cake
                                                                                                            Sorry m8 am gluten intolerant tha knows

Comment

I'd have no problem stating that Trad music isn't my number 1 go to genre
                                                                                                              I'd have Jazz<<<<<Trad<<<<<Baroque. Don't get to experience much live ever.
                                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I think the real culture of Dublin is happening on the likes of Capel Street. A street built from the ground up by a ragtag collection of eccentrics and foreigners, and its brilliant as a result. Thats what culture is - as in that's what the current generation of out and abouters are up to. Old places crumble and get mashed up and new places emerge and they are blends of cool new ideas. The lads in Smithfield obv weren't making a bomb if this is the situation - the people had moved on. To Capel Street, or *wherever*. The new culture is kimchi mayo korean bbq chicken, not auld lads thinking they are in the wilds of Kerry in the centre of dublin. Maybe, maybe not.

Comment

If you ever go to a traditional session , the inner circle are the regulars, the supposed best musicians and less so on the outer circles ( normally) a kind of clannish seniority. We had a professional Finnish musician who was visiting with his friend travelling Ireland and taking his squeeze box on tour.
                                                                                                                  we went to the Cobblestone one night. He unpacked and requested to play . Him and his friend were head and shoulder the supreme musicians in the room. He upped the game and the standard. However , one or two asked him to opt out of one or two tunes. I was mortified. We left . He continued on his tour of Ireland and made great memories. To this day the reaction we got that night sticks in my craw.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Someones on their third glass of vino
                                                                                                                    You are not far off in fairness .

In all seriousness though, it is an amazing city just to chill out in. Been 25 years since I was last here, but with flights only 2.5 hours, seems mad I haven't be going over more often... Plan to remedy that though .
                                                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I think the real culture of Dublin is happening on the likes of Capel Street. A street built from the ground up by a ragtag collection of eccentrics and foreigners, and its brilliant as a result. Thats what culture is - as in that's what the current generation of out and abouters are up to. Old places crumble and get mashed up and new places emerge and they are blends of cool new ideas. The lads in Smithfield obv weren't making a bomb if this is the situation - the people had moved on. To Capel Street, or *wherever*. The new culture is kimchi mayo korean bbq chicken, not auld lads thinking they are in the wilds of Kerry in the centre of dublin. Maybe, maybe not.
                                                                                                                      No offence but Culture isnt so easily defined or dismissed .

I meant tradition .
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Solksjaer!; 08-10-21, 09:54.

Comment

I would wager that there's far more concerts happening now (covid effects aside) than happened in e.g. these venues heyday of the early 2000s. So it's not stopping the flow of concerts. We're just changing the location. Culture isn't actually being destroyed.

​​​​​​
                                                                                                                        With all due respect HH I'd wonder how many gigs and clubs (of the music not lap dancing/gambling variety) you've been to in the last 20 years?

Places change. I get that. Musical trends change too and venues fall in and out of fashion as promoters move on, management want to maximise profit and change use etc... Places get developed and that's generally ok too. I agree that creative people usually find a way to keep the music and arts alive.

But what's happening now is different and there's a palpable anger and fear at the destruction of genuinely valuable cultural spaces, especially places with "character" (whether it fits with SPs version or not).

There's no doubt that corporate cultural appropriators like Press Up (buy up a bar, tip out the 'locals',rip its insides out, take the insides from another bar and shoehorn that in then and sell it back to tourists as authentic - JJ Smyths being the perfect example, or John's Haberdashery or any of a dozen others in the city centre in recent time), lifestyle aparthotel developers, and small picture, planning jobsworth don't care and don't get it.

Yes there may still be gigs to go to but not everyone wants to go and see Garth Brooks at e150 a ticket or be virtually strip search on the way into the The Point.

Not much culture or authenticity in any of that if you ask me and many others huddling on the edge of a rapidly evaporating landscape of basements and backrooms where we largely (and happily) entertain ourselves free from the gaze of the normies who'll never get unless they see a buck to be made.

Comment

I remember comparing NFT's to star naming registries here some time ago, this guy gets it:

Also GL with getting out of this solvent

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 07-10-21, 21:01.
                                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X