This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    We're off to Legoland tomorrrow. A first time in Denmark, to celebrate the youngest birthday on the grounds that he had to hide in a cupboard for his own safety last birthday due to corona lockdowns. Has anyone been to Denmark, and recommend anything to eat? I tried to google Danish fastfood as often fast food is the purest insight into a nations mindset, but it seems surprisingly empty. I would have thought battered and deep-fried bacon would be a minimum.
    Trying to remember visiting Copenhagen but almost drew a blank without google photos. The pastries and bakeries are a must-do for breakfast every morning. Food-wise it's meant to be amazing for fine dining but ordinary cuisine I don't recall. Fish and open sandwiches (smorgasbord) seemed to be offered everywhere though. It's a trendy capital city and if kids are fussy you'll have no shortage of similar options to Dublin. Somebody feed Phil (Netflix) did an episode there iirc. Probably worth giving that a look as he always tries to see what the local cuisine and street food scene is like.

Other info on the trip to follow. Went to the Mikkeller bar which was quite cool but pricey (lol scandi alcohol taxes) - the cherry wine they had was amazing but it's probably not family-friendly stop. Nyhaven looks class and is well worth a spin just don't go for food or drinks there (think temple bar tourist trap).

Other highlights were exploring the Rosenborg Castle (preserved condition from Renaissance I believe), and museum (royal treasure/artefacts there under armed guard). The star-shaped fort at the harbour is worth a walk around (little mermaid nearby also). Christiania which is really cool but maybe not be that interesting for kids (must-see for adults). I wasn't too bothered with the little mermaid statue, it's tiny and mobbed by 100's of tourists. Tivoli Gardens theme park is meant to be cool but it was closed when I visited. Loads of bicycles everywhere, even more than in the Netherlands so be careful with little ones. Pretty much everywhere you go there's an amazing blend of old and contemporary architecture. Lovely city to walk around aimlessly in.

Comment

We're off to Legoland tomorrrow. A first time in Denmark, to celebrate the youngest birthday on the grounds that he had to hide in a cupboard for his own safety last birthday due to corona lockdowns. Has anyone been to Denmark, and recommend anything to eat? I tried to google Danish fastfood as often fast food is the purest insight into a nations mindset, but it seems surprisingly empty. I would have thought battered and deep-fried bacon would be a minimum.
      Controversially we're also going to Denmark in a few weeks, but staying in Copenhagen and swerving the delights of Legoland. Thus upholding my lifelong refusal to bring them to such places (Disneyland etc).

TR would be welcome.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Somebody Feed Phil episode is a top idea! I'd imagine Billund (topic of this - lovely - book) has some knockoffs of the Copenhagen top food dogs. I'd heard, for the benefit of Raoul, that Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen is lovely.

Thanks so much coillcam.

(will also try to find rotten shark)
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Danes will always find an occasion to have a pølser (sausage)- as a quick lunch, after a late night out, or during a ferry ride to one of the islands. This goes to say that hot dogs are served during numerous occasions, whether it’s during the Easter day celebrations, or even in the late hours of a wedding party- as a way to signal to the guests that it’s time to leave soon. 

this seems to be the type of thing you are after?

There's also the always fun scandanavian pizza toppings.
          Banana, curry etc
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Controversially we're also going to Denmark in a few weeks, but staying in Copenhagen and swerving the delights of Legoland. Thus upholding my lifelong refusal to bring them to such places (Disneyland etc).

TR would be welcome.
            Bring loots - IIRC a couple pizzas and bottle of vino set me back e150 or something redic when we were there. Tenner a beer etc etc

Comment

Copehagen is a bore. Nice restaurants, very clean but minus craic really.
              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Bring loots - IIRC a couple pizzas and bottle of vino set me back e150 or something redic when we were there. Tenner a beer etc etc
                Pretty much this. I did manage to get a couple of smaller places with a beer for a 5er but in general, a standard longneck heineken was minimum €7.50.

Comment

I'm also intending to be in Copenhagen in the next few weeks to visit No2 Son if I can make time. might manage a HHE lunch if our paths cross there.

Great city to visit, lots of good food KinKin was class IIRC that was an IonaPaul recommendation. There is a streetfood area called Broens Gadekøkken with a particularly good pizza.

here https://www.google.com/maps/@55.6776...7i16384!8i8192

Another place in that general area that I remember as being above average value for money was

Right across the road from there, Cafe Wilder did a decent breakfast and would be a decent lunch for kids place.

It's expensive but not much worse than Dublin, lots of things to do and see, cycle everywhere.
                  Last edited by Strewelpeter; 23-09-21, 12:14.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

We'll be there 22-27 Oct sp.

We can smuggle in some MarcoMeat and Irish cheese and have a picnic afloat the canals.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                      Copehagen is a bore. Nice restaurants, very clean but minus craic really.
                      That's Stockholm you're thinking of.

Copenhagen had plenty of funky shit going down last time I visited, although that could just have been the (Danish) company I was in.

Comment

Finished three episodes and its ridiculous at the highest level. Great stuff.
                        milled through 5 of them over the last 2 nights. Loving it so far. Best series in a good while.
                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Somebody Feed Phil episode is a top idea! I'd imagine Billund (topic of this - lovely - book) has some knockoffs of the Copenhagen top food dogs. I'd heard, for the benefit of Raoul, that Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen is lovely.

Thanks so much coillcam.

(will also try to find rotten shark)
                          We're going to Bakken, which will be a lot less touristy although no doubt will end up in Tivoli at some stage. Cruise the canals. Eat fish. Discover.

I have a friend who's married to a native Copenhagenite so will hit her up for other ideas.

Comment

CopenHot is pretty fantastic.

Hot Tubs where you jump directly into the Baltic for your plunge pool.

Comment

That's Stockholm you're thinking of.

Copenhagen had plenty of funky shit going down last time I visited, although that could just have been the (Danish) company I was in.
                              No I've been in both and thought they were both pretty drab, Stockholm is much worse than Copenhagen, I'll give you that. I've got relatives in Malmo, so I've been there a couple of times.
                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Don't mind all the other advice so far. I can tell you from my one visit to Denmark, that they cannot do fast food.

It was November 2017 and we were playing Denmark in a two leg world cup play off - We flew in the morning of the game and as is tradition, the drinking started at around 6am in the airport ahead of boarding the plane, which was followed by as much drink as we could get on the plane to the point that we were half cut arriving in Copenhagen only to start a full day of drinking before an 8pm kick off.

Somewhere around 6pm, we decided that we should eat something before heading to the stadium and settled on a nice looking burger joint for optimum soakage. I ordered for myself and the other two lads and when doing so, the lad behind the counter embarrassingly told me that they had run out of burger buns as they weren't expected so many football fans to be around for the game who would want to eat burgers & chips after a day of drinking.

He said he could just give us the patties with the toppings, chips and a knife and fork so we could eat it. At this point, I couldn't be arsed going elsewhere, especially as one of our group was already completely legless so agreed and paid him. In my drunken state, I kind of forgot that they had no buns until the food arrived down at the table and the two lads looked at me in a WTF? type way

'They ran out of buns lads - Best I could do in a difficult situation' as I shrugged my shoulders

The drunkest of our trio tried to eat it and then decided, no, this isn't happening and started to make his way to the toilet, failed miserably, and ended vomiting all over a table and chairs a few rows down - Thankfully, nobody was sitting there at the time. Oddly enough, the staff were not impressed with this so we had to make a quick exit.

The lad in question still blames the lack of a bun for his sickness to this day, it had nothing to do with the 27 pints consumed beforehand

Comment

In fairness, the man sent you for burgers and you brought back something entirely different. No wonder the poor fella was queasy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Danes will always find an occasion to have a pølser (sausage)- as a quick lunch, after a late night out, or during a ferry ride to one of the islands. This goes to say that hot dogs are served during numerous occasions, whether it’s during the Easter day celebrations, or even in the late hours of a wedding party- as a way to signal to the guests that it’s time to leave soon. 

this seems to be the type of thing you are after?

There's also the always fun scandanavian pizza toppings.
                                    Banana, curry etc
                                    oh class, that's right on point! I saw some excellent smorgebord sandwiches in the Someone Feed Phil episode also. Legoland apparently has a restaurant where kids can construct their own meals on a screen at the table and send them off to the restaurant.

Comment

I met KPnuts this week as he has joined the D-C-U massif. He said he was working as a travel journalist for a while (which sounded like easily the best job in the world) and Helsinki was the best city he visited in recent memory. Strange that Stockholm, Copenhagen, might be a bit dull, if Helsinki is rocking it.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

This. I have noticed I am in a wanting to buy things phase atm, and it's a combination of that Diderot effect and enjoying researching the things to get. I am slightly hampered by not really wanting anything, so I'm buying things for other people. Having bought an Amazon Echo Dot to listen to Audible a few weeks ago I am now a big fan of these devices, as I'm listening to lots of music now whereas before Spotify wasn't worth listening to on my phone or tinny Chromebook.

So I decided a relative needed her Internet radio in her kitchen replaced with a Google Nest Audio which I picked up yesterday, and her bedroom clock and stereo needed to be replaced with an Echo Show 5 which arrived today. I decided an elderly aunt needed 3 new home phones which I got, and that she needed Netflix which she has been happily watching for a week. The strangest being on Sunday when a friend who is heading off on a retreat soon where you can't use your phone as an alarm asked if I had a travel alarm clock to lend him and I told him I would buy him a good LED one.
                                        I'm the same, I never really want anything but I do enjoy it for others immensely. And you might want to try this purchase too. I know my girlfriend wants to travel and loves theatre but is too poor to atm so I'm just after buying tickets a few minutes ago to go to the latest Punchdrunk immersive show (the audience is free to choose what to watch, where to go and there is a lot of audience immersion) in London. I've never gone to one of their shows but they are supposed to be the nuts best and sell out rather fast. https://www.punchdrunk.com/
                                        The Burnt City:
                                        “AS THE SMOKE SOARS ON WINGS TO HEAVEN, SO SINKS OUR CITY”

In the smouldering promise of the fall of Troy, a mythical world of Gods and mortals rises from the ashes.

As Greece teeters on the brink of victory, the neon backstreets of Downtown Troy give way to a sprawling labyrinth hiding secrets even the prophecies could not foretell.

In this colossal playground, the furies watch on as mortals play out their fate.

And as night falls, the city comes alive.

One last time.

You generally wear a mask, split up from your group when you go there and experience things alone, then can discuss it after. You might not see all the scenes even though they are on in a loop as it is massive (in a review one guy went 8 times and was discovering more stuff). One my brother went to was in a huge 4 floor building (20000 sq metres - probably why people have complained about the audience having sex at these things) where even scraps of paper in drawers were clues to what was going on, I believe that was a murder mystery one and you were trying to solve the case. On the 4th floor there was an attic and a guard blocking the entrance saying it was not part of the show, at a certain point he takes a break and my brothers girlfriend saw an actor near the stairs and followed them up. They talked to her and led her to a chair in a pitch dark room. They strapped her in and turned on the lights, and it was somebody looking maniacal and she was in an electric chair, she freaked the fuck out and the actor had to break character to make sure all was ok haha.
                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 23-09-21, 14:08.

Comment

that seems mad brilliance tar

Comment

Lego brick shaped chips. Fast food discussion over.
                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Thankfully the EU have stepped in to stifle Apple's exploitation of dimwits. Who said the nanny federation was a bad thing?

Comment

Pity they didn't do laptops at the same time. USB-C is perfect for charging laptops (and ironically what apple use for their laptops), but laptops still seem to come with a huge range of unique chargers.

Comment

The wife's boss said there is a motorway on the way to Mayo where they take a timestamp picture of you getting on to the motorway and a timestamp picture of you getting off the motorway, and if your time elapsed is less than the time it would take to travel the distance at the maximum motorway speed, then they issue you with a speeding ticket as you must have been speeding even though they haven't directly observed you speeding.

That's clearly a rumour, rather than real, isn't it?

Comment

got two pizzas for a tenner in Naples the other week.

Probably > a beer in Denmark

Comment

The wife's boss said there is a motorway on the way to Mayo where they take a timestamp picture of you getting on to the motorway and a timestamp picture of you getting off the motorway, and if your time elapsed is less than the time it would take to travel the distance at the maximum motorway speed, then they issue you with a speeding ticket as you must have been speeding even though they haven't directly observed you speeding.

It's basically how the Port Tunnel works. I think that's used in France too in some regions. Actually makes perfect sense.
                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

They have average speed cameras somewhere around Birdhill but it's just in trial at the moment and they won't actually book you for it so far as I know.

The port tunnel has them fully operational. They're totally standard in the UK AFAIK.

Comment

That's only in the Dublin port tunnel and the Jack Lynch tunnel in Cork.

I'm sure it may eventually come into effect on Motorways.

Personally, I nearly always speed on motorways (except the M50) once I get out past the Dublin suburbs - There is usually very little traffic on them so I just stick the cruise control to around 130Kph and settle in to a relaxing journey.

Comment

Average speed checks are everywhere in the UK

Comment

It's crazy that we still use speed vans and police with radar guns in a world where not only average speed technology exists but where it is trivial to fit every car with a devices that could be as simple as reporting speed and location or if we wanted to splash out we could go a long way towards 0 road deaths by using a mi of speed limiters cameras and existing auto drive tech to overrule peoples stupidity and incompetence.
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                It's crazy that we still use speed vans and police with radar guns in a world where not only average speed technology exists but where it is trivial to fit every car with a devices that could be as simple as reporting speed and location or if we wanted to splash out we could go a long way towards 0 road deaths by using a mi of speed limiters cameras and existing auto drive tech to overrule peoples stupidity and incompetence.

Surely, it's all down to the revenue that speed vans and radar guns generate?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

It's basically how the Port Tunnel works. I think that's used in France too in some regions. Actually makes perfect sense.
                                                                  It makes perfect sense, I just didn't trust they would be sophisticated enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I wouldn't underestimate the stickiness of an old, bad, idea combined with public sector lethargy. Hence, why the HSE is stuffed full of Windows 95 computers.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

got two pizzas for a tenner in Naples the other week.

Probably > a beer in Denmark
                                                                      How did you rate Napoli in terms of vibe?

Comment

This story has it all: Dilbert, Iarael, underage sex-trafficking, politics...no surprise it's Florida based.

Comment

How did you rate Napoli in terms of vibe?
                                                                          Had a 1970s Bronx vibe when I was there.
                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

You won't be speeding in your Leaf Hitchhiker's Guide To...

Above 110kmph the car absolutely drinks energy. It's the same for all cars, not electric specific, but you'll be noticing that you don't want to drive that fast for very long...

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                              You won't be speeding in your Leaf Hitchhiker's Guide To...

Above 110kmph the car absolutely drinks energy. It's the same for all cars, not electric specific, but you'll be noticing that you don't want to drive that fast for very long...
                                                                              Was he correct is saying there is a motorway in Mayo though? That was the bit that seemed like balderdash to me.
                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Was he correct is saying there is a motorway in Mayo though? That was the bit that seemed like balderdash to me.
                                                                                I drove on one up there and had the whole thing to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

If it has a hard shoulder in Mayo tis a motorway

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

If it has a hard shoulder in Mayo tis a motorway
                                                                                    Looking back, he only said 'on the way to'. Really must go back there some day; must be 20 years.
                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Stayed in Athlone for the first time recently. Its a good aul town, I found the pubs use dodgy boxes unabashed for the sports. The streams are about 90-120s behind live and regs take delight about telling the more dedicated football regs about upcoming goals from their phone intel!.

Comment

If you were on a motorway, you weren't in Mayo.

M6 goes to Galway, or the M17 to Tuam if coming from the south, M4 only goes to Mullingar and the N5 is a notoriously slow road heading west and I really dont miss it from my delivery driving days.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

If you were on a motorway, you weren't in Mayo.

M6 goes to Galway, or the M17 to Tuam if coming from the south, M4 only goes to Mullingar and the N5 is a notoriously slow road heading west and I really dont miss it from my delivery driving days.
                                                                                          Ah maybe so. I had left a customer in Castlebar and was driving on some new road. Could've been anywhere.

Comment

Ah maybe so. I had left a customer in Castlebar and was driving on some new road. Could've been anywhere.
                                                                                            There's a good enough road between Westport/Castlebar to the Roscommon border and then it all goes to shite through Strokestown.

Comment

If you're Northside and want Asador, but local - go to Prado. Same crowd.

I'm nearly burshted altogether after the feed in there tonight.

Comment

Its been so long since I've been in a country with non-euros - am I right in thinking that you can just leave money in the regular revolut euro account and whenever you buy a smorgasbrod it'll all be converted behind the scenes into danish krone at a decent rate? As in, you don't need to specifically set up a danish wallet on revolut, presumably. just wondering, not a big deal as it'll all become very evident the moment after setting down in billund and trying to buy something.

It seems like that should be a highly googleable question, and yet...

Comment

If you're Northside and want Asador, but local - go to Prado. Same crowd.

I'm nearly burshted altogether after the feed in there tonight.
                                                                                                  oh nice. and the option of chimichurri sauce also. Very good. Thats the only correct answer to: what sauce would you like with your steak. Although I'm a belated discoverer of that.

Comment

I love watching and playing golf but jeeeez it's high up it's own hole.

Comment

On a food note. In a podcast I'm listening to, they keep going on about how every hip restaurant* in London is full of halloumi chips. That its everything in the London hip scene. Has anyone seen them in Dublin, worth a try?

* apparently the other hip thing is brussels sprouts. Which have become a Californian obsession. Endless ways of serving brussels sprouts. Part of the reason being that the yanks don't have our mental connections with sprouts and so have just discovered them from scratch.

Comment

Its been so long since I've been in a country with non-euros - am I right in thinking that you can just leave money in the regular revolut euro account and whenever you buy a smorgasbrod it'll all be converted behind the scenes into danish krone at a decent rate? As in, you don't need to specifically set up a danish wallet on revolut, presumably. just wondering, not a big deal as it'll all become very evident the moment after setting down in billund and trying to buy something.

It seems like that should be a highly googleable question, and yet...
                                                                                                        Just leaving everything in yoyos and let revolut do the rest. Not sure if you can hold kroner as a wallet on Revolut but it may well be the case.

Comment

Perfecto, thank you. Bought something from Switzerland recently and was charged a few euro of a 'non-euro transaction fee', so won't be bringing the regular bank cards out except in case of extreme emergency.

Comment

Match 3 a bit nasty for Europe but the rest are very doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                              I love watching and playing golf but jeeeez it's high up it's own hole.
                                                                                                              For sure. Nothing would delight me more than see Poulter get his arse handed to him repeatedly over the next three days.

Comment

I hope Lao held firm in his work negotiations :tren;

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Match 3 a bit nasty for Europe but the rest are very doable.
                                                                                                                  Doing a treble .

I'm bored so my picks. My treble

My 2c on the opening matches.
                                                                                                                  Speith and Thimas are capable of running away with it but lately both are inconsistent. Rahm is in great form and Segio is showing well in tournaments this year . I think Rahm will inspire him. Sergio irons are superb. I give this 1 to Europe

Hovland is a great player with an even temperament that's perfect for golf . His occasional triple bogeys really hurt him in stroke play , however in this format hs should shine and in Casey he has a partner who is equally easy going with a very accurate game . Johnson and Morika could be anything. Strange season for Dustin and Morikowa seems to have gone off the boil since the Open Europe

Match 3. Not touching this . A strange choice Paddy. I will say Fitzpatrick does start tournaments well. The opponents look too strong here though . No bet

Last match to Europe . Poulter bleeds the Ryder Cup and Rory has game when the crowd are deafening. Schauffele is hot and very cold and Cantlay whilst on top form may be wasted after the FedEx exploits .

Comment

Steve Stricker is so boring.
                                                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Nope, they lose significant money on them each year.

Comment

oh nice. and the option of chimichurri sauce also. Very good. Thats the only correct answer to: what sauce would you like with your steak. Although I'm a belated discoverer of that.
                                                                                                                        I was a bit shocked to find that Mrs D3 didn't know what chimichurri sauce was. On our wedding anniversary too.

It's the kind of thing that makes you question your entire existence.

Comment

0-4 to yanks after first session possible!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X