Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ghosts of a few thousand dead missing black girls cheering on the renewed public interest in finding missing dead girls and then they see a pic of gabby (rip) and slump back to a longer-term wait.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Better catch up on Chinese history Hitch.
      Looks like there's a new chapter incoming.
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

What's the info saying that (only one I saw was fraud), all the science sources I've seen say something along the lines of:

There are hundreds of papers looking at ivermectin vs. COVID-19. In general, the larger and more carefully conducted the studies are, the weaker the effect that's seen with ivermectin. That's a pattern that's seen with things that don't actually work well.

A couple of the more recent, large, randomized controlled studies are not optimistic, but don't completely rule out possible weak effects:

In this randomized clinical trial that included 476 patients, the duration of symptoms was not significantly different for patients who received a 5-day course of ivermectin compared with placebo (median time to resolution of symptoms, 10 vs 12 days; hazard ratio for resolution of symptoms, 1.07).

The findings do not support the use of ivermectin for treatment of mild COVID-19, although larger trials may be needed to understand effects on other clinically relevant outcomes.

--Effect of Ivermectin on Time to Resolution of Symptoms Among Adults With Mild COVID-19

It's obvious that the possible role for ivermectin hasn't been automatically dismissed -- all the major players included trials for it, there are hundreds of papers, and there are dozens of registered clinical trials investigating it.

And yet there are no large, randomized controlled trials that clearly show a clinical effect of ivermectin on COVID-19 mortality, sickness, time to recovery, etc. Sometimes there are marginal effects on surrogate factors (lower virus titers; effects on cultured cells). But the thing about useful, effective treatments is that you don't have to look at surrogate measures. If some studies find a weak effect and others find no effect -- If you have hundreds of people in your randomized trial and you need more to decide if there's any effect at all -- then any effect must be weak or non-existent.

We're at that point with ivermectin. It's been given a long, hard, careful look, and the conclusion is that there may be something there but it's really marginal.
        Like I say the effect is probably mild. I wouldn't be that surprised if there is actually no effect, but I'd say it's 4/6 to be an effective treatment (just nowhere near as effective as vaccination). But don't you think it's strange that the large scale RCTs are only being done now, meanwhile it has been used as a treatment all over the developing for nearly a year? Something has gone very wrong in either or both directions simultaneously.
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
          Better catch up on Chinese history Hitch.
          Looks like there's a new chapter incoming.
          There could well be some temporary shocks, but probably nothing. Usually these types of asset-backed situations get sorted out with short sharp interventions. Forced mergers, forced takeovers. And the Chinese gov has no shortage of these tools in its arsenal and no shortage of willingness to deploy the big bazookas (they actually have quite impressive regulatory management there, no bullshit allowed on monopolies etc). Of course, sometimes it gets worse but that's when we know that at least we'll get some glorious movies out of it, so its really a win-win.

Am open to other opinions btw on whats happening in China, but it just seems to be at big-country = big-bankruptcies (but-slightly-worrying) levels at the moment?

a27475b737c62d707861d9d297fa337c.jpg
          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 20-09-21, 17:38.

Comment

It's not a new problem, but it seems it's approaching it's zenith

Beijing will need to back up a truck sized printer to bail them out.
            But once they do, there's a multitude of business up to their gills in debt in china that'll be looking for the same.
            It could honestly be a massive implosion of the chinese economy.
            I'd be interested in Denny Crane 's take on it. Or indeed, any of our market savvy friends.
            I think it's a huge deal.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Yeah maybe. Probably not though. I think about 1 in every 20 market events that seem like they are about to cause massive financial implosions actually end up being financial implosions. Not that China isn't built on a house of cards - but every country is, fundamentally. It doesn't really seem to be serious yet I think, given that China collapsing would be the equivalent of the US collapsing. And indeed would cause the US to collapse. 2007 would be nothing compared to a serious problem in China. Its too big too fail.

Comment

I have liquidated some of my gambling stocks to free up some cash for the juicy discounts today or potential juicy discounts in the coming weeks.
                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Here's my stupid question of the day. I googled it, but could only see an answer for Australia. A standard driving test question and answer is: 'when can you cross a solid white line on the road?'. Answer: Never. Can I confirm the common sense intuition that you can cross a solid white line to get to your own parkway on the other side of the road?

Comment

Always had issues with our 5 (nearly 6) year old putting her to bed and then waking loads in the middle of the night. She’s never been a good sleeper. Both other kids are good sleepers. Anyway last night we did meditation from a YouTube video for kids and out like a light in 10 minutes and slept through the night. Same again this evening so hopefully it works. Nice to actually do it as well to help clear the mind a little. Never really did it before.
                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      Here's my stupid question of the day. I googled it, but could only see an answer for Australia. A standard driving test question and answer is: 'when can you cross a solid white line on the road?'. Answer: Never. Can I confirm the common sense intuition that you can cross a solid white line to get to your own parkway on the other side of the road?
                      Probably illegal in the eyes of the law? Are there real life examples though? Wouldn’t have thought it’d be very prevalent.

Potential to challenge any fine possibly as i’d guess the council shouldn’t be marking the road as a solid line at entrances

All just a guess

Comment

To add: the chances of you being ‘done’ for crossing a solid line to get into your own driveway must be, conservatively (i think), in the hundreds of thousands to one.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Probably illegal in the eyes of the law? Are there real life examples though? Wouldn’t have thought it’d be very prevalent.

Potential to challenge any fine possibly as i’d guess the council shouldn’t be marking the road as a solid line at entrances

All just a guess
                          This is the actual place! So crossing at the yellow-box thing into the driveway on the right, from the laneway that the red car is in.

I get that its a thing that people can practically do, just wondering if you are actually allowed, or if you are technically meant to go down to a point in the lane without a solid white line to cross.

gGk07zul.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Like I say the effect is probably mild. I wouldn't be that surprised if there is actually no effect, but I'd say it's 4/6 to be an effective treatment (just nowhere near as effective as vaccination). But don't you think it's strange that the large scale RCTs are only being done now, meanwhile it has been used as a treatment all over the developing for nearly a year? Something has gone very wrong in either or both directions simultaneously.

I mean if people were being given this drug anyway then people should have been studying that, 250 million people take it per year as a matter of course.
                            As for running more trials elsewhere, there are a ton of places that could study this but I don't really have insight into how they choose what to do, maybe initial trials were not positive enough to garner more attention and attention is elsewhere, people weren't really looking for marginal at best benefits I gather. Some were running, the one I mentioned above was published 6 months ago and started running over a year ago.
                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 20-09-21, 19:49.

Comment

I looked up the law for you:
                              9 Continuous white lines 9. An authorised continuous white line along the centre of a roadway shall indicate that traffic must drive to the left of the line, and when on a stretch of roadway on which such a line has been provided a driver shall, save for the purpose of entering or leaving land or premises adjoining the right hand side of that roadway, drive to the left of the line.
                              ​​​​​​​

Comment

This is the actual place! So crossing at the yellow-box thing into the driveway on the right, from the laneway that the red car is in.

I get that its a thing that people can practically do, just wondering if you are actually allowed, or if you are technically meant to go down to a point in the lane without a solid white line to cross.

gGk07zul.jpg
                                Ugh, that is such a pain in the bollox. To the letter of the law, you're not allowed to turn right there. It also looks like it's quite close to a junction?

But in the real world, you need to get in and I'm.not sure you'd get "done" for it as such. Its probably best to use a bit of common sense each time.

If there's a decent flow of traffic coming towards you or up behind you, I probably wouldn't sit there waiting to make the turn but if it looks alright, I'd just turn in. There is a notoriously similar one in Killarney, almost on top of a set of traffic lights and it's a shambles so I feel your pain.

Is there a roundabout up ahead or anything where you could swing round so you're on the correct side of the road?

Comment

Hmmm. That doesn’t look like a driveway per se?

Maybe it’s an estate or something but I took you to mean a driveway a house.

Left and right turns are prohibited alot. Usually for safety, close to a bad bend etc.

That looks to be a main (ish) road so same rules apply.

In saying all the above, the grey car seems to be in a yellow box too? A yellow box means you can’t stop in it. Inherently perhaps indicating that you can cross as why would there be a yellow box otherwise?

Comment

I'd move house

Comment

Tar's reply surprised me. Would have also said you should be driving on and looking for a turnaround.
                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                        Hmmm. That doesn’t look like a driveway per se?

Maybe it’s an estate or something but I took you to mean a driveway a house.

Left and right turns are prohibited alot. Usually for safety, close to a bad bend etc.

That looks to be a main (ish) road so same rules apply.

In saying all the above, the grey car seems to be in a yellow box too? A yellow box means you can’t stop in it. Inherently perhaps indicating that you can cross as why would there be a yellow box otherwise?
                                        Yellow box is to allow people to pull out from the driveway. Not for people to turn right. Technically.

Comment

But once they do, there's a multitude of business up to their gills in debt in china that'll be looking for the same.
                                          I'd be interested in Denny Crane 's take on it. Or indeed, any of our market savvy friends.
                                          storm in a tea cup.

more like china heading off future overlevaged disasters than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Yellow box is to allow people to pull out from the driveway. Not for people to turn right. Technically.
                                            Yeah, i know you’re being facetious. I kinda was a bit too!

City driving is no joke though tbf

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                              Always had issues with our 5 (nearly 6) year old putting her to bed and then waking loads in the middle of the night. She’s never been a good sleeper. Both other kids are good sleepers. Anyway last night we did meditation from a YouTube video for kids and out like a light in 10 minutes and slept through the night. Same again this evening so hopefully it works. Nice to actually do it as well to help clear the mind a little. Never really did it before.
                                              Link?

Comment

Link?

we used the new horizon ones so far
                                                Last edited by elbows; 20-09-21, 21:11.
                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

That picture looks vaguely familiar HH. Somewhere down near Carysfort Avenue?
                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Jesus Stricker is awful here

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I looked up the law for you:
                                                      9 Continuous white lines 9. An authorised continuous white line along the centre of a roadway shall indicate that traffic must drive to the left of the line, and when on a stretch of roadway on which such a line has been provided a driver shall, save for the purpose of entering or leaving land or premises adjoining the right hand side of that roadway, drive to the left of the line.
                                                      I should get that more detailed book! It's only questions and answers you get for learning the test. Indeed the specific answer I'm reading from the handout says a continuous white line means "you must not cross the line/lines or park opposite". No mention anywhere of the (logical) exceptions.

​​​​​​​Cheers Tar - Not just a finance god!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                        That picture looks vaguely familiar HH. Somewhere down near Carysfort Avenue?
                                                        Stillorgan Road then immediately after you turn on to Newtownpark Avenue. Lovely part of town. Cripplingly expensive to rent!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                          I'd move house
                                                          Surely must be a better option available somewhere like ..... Bray???

Comment

oh jesus christ. what a trailer. Just landed on netflix.

Comment

Of course I'm an excellent driver..an excellent driver

Yeah yeah

Gotta watch Wapner..gotta watch Wapner

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                If we all did it daily the world would be a much better place.

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post

If we all did it daily the world would be a much better place.
                                                                  if we could all just be a little more like jbrav

Comment

oh jesus christ. what a trailer. Just landed on netflix.

Fuck me, that was a spectacular opening episode!!! Experimented with the languages - the dubbing is ferocious. Korean and English subtitles worked vastly better.

Comment

This picture was produced at the table one night with the question "if you could have the two at the ends but you had to take the one in the middle as well ..... would you?".

After the usual innuendo laden comments one lad piped up with
                                                                      "ah ffs lads, it you're getting the two at the ends, sure you'd be priced in for the one in the middle".

Remains to this day the finest example of a poker mindset at work I've ever heard.
                                                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                                                                      Last edited by DeeBrown; 20-09-21, 23:48.

Comment

There's a good podcast on it here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7GW...Sw&dl_branch=1

Comment

Safe to revel in Britain’s supply chain and CO2 disaster? Or is it on its way here too?
                                                                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Getting in those post 5 o clock hikes with the kids is drawing to a close as the shorter evenings make their presence felt. Saggart Woods is a great little spot on the doorstep . This time of the year is perfect as the flies are in low numbers . I think trees are my fav thing in nature after wimmins arses

Comment

Had some tasty food in Gushi on Capel St. last night, will be back.

Also the first place to ask me about a covid/vaccine cert

Comment

gGk07zul.jpg

Whatever about the rules, imagine that right is a nightmare to take given how busy that bit is most of the time

Comment

HH . drive around the Walkinstown roundabout a few times and you'll no longer fear any other part of Dublin driving. Remember to put the boot down and have all the car shout fffkkkkkkkk as you drive around it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                    HH . drive around the Walkinstown roundabout a few times and you'll no longer fear any other part of Dublin driving. Remember to put the boot down and have all the car shout fffkkkkkkkk as you drive around it.
                                                                                    Weirdly Dice mentioned that specific roundabout a few weeks ago also. Looking forward to eventually attacking it, once I master turning into my own apartment driveway.

Comment

Walkinstown Roundabout is all about having the heart and commitment, Tony G style imo
                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

You would typically see a continuous line become a broken line at entrances and junctions. Would work much better if you could only turn right where that happens to delineate where it’s not safe to turn right.
                                                                                        Suppose a double solid line fufills that a bit.

Comment

The Swedes gave us plogging . Did it with the kids , 2 bags collected from the woods . People are scummy.

It should be part of PE in schools .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                            The Swedes gave us plogging . Did it with the kids , 2 bags collected from the woods . People are scummy.

It should be part of PE in schools .
                                                                                            If it wasn’t for the mention of the kids. I’d have assumed plogging was some sort of sexual practice. Maybe related to pegging. With more onomatopoeia.

Comment

Thinking of becoming a black tea wanker. Want to explore the types that make up the blended tea most people drink. Going to kick off with lapsang souchong, then assam, cylon and darjeeling. Not sure yet if I need to upgrade from fannings and dust.
                                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                Thinking of becoming a black tea wanker. Want to explore the types that make up the blended tea most people drink. Going to kick off with lapsang souchong, then assam, cylon and darjeeling. Not sure yet if I need to upgrade from fannings and dust.
                                                                                                Been a tea wanker a few months now. Buy it from Nik's tea in Greenogue. She's a lovely person and great with advice and samples etc.

Two favourites are Salted Caramel and Coffee Pu-erh. Coffee flavoured tea, amazing. Tastes like the smell of Bewleys in Grafton St.

Also love Earl Grey.

Comment

Former rugby hero Brendan Mullin accused of nicking half a million.

Vaguely remember him from the days when we were properly shite.

Comment

Salted caramel tea? Intriguing.

Comment

Jesus, and I thought I was a tea wanker because I spat PG Tips out and brought my own Barry's Tea bags to work.

Comment

I'm a teatotaller and and a coffeetotaller. I have been made feel like a leper all my life . Strange. Although I used to get cold sores a lot too which didnt help with the leprosy feeling.

Any other non domestic beverage drinker ? What's you alternative ? For me it's a hard to break diet coke habit.

Comment

Texas tea.

Comment

I don't drink tea (unless a fancy very favoursome tea like lemon & ginger or peppermint or whatever, maybe once a year at a restaurant when driving) or coffee at all - also understand the feeling of being an outcast as a result! All old people drink tea and seems like most young-ish people are obsessed by coffee.

Comment

I do like cream soda if it's available, which is rarely here.

Suspect it's probably something that would give you diabetes in a hurry.

Comment

Draftkings reportedly make 20bn stock offer for Entwain (Ladbrokes, Party, Bwin).

Big offer…

Don’t think I like it.
                                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Been a tea wanker a few months now. Buy it from Nik's tea in Greenogue. She's a lovely person and great with advice and samples etc.

Two favourites are Salted Caramel and Coffee Pu-erh. Coffee flavoured tea, amazing. Tastes like the smell of Bewleys in Grafton St.

Also love Earl Grey.
                                                                                                                  Just to highlight how sound Nicola is, she just called me to let me know a bottle of olive oil I really like is back in stock.

She does a lot of artisan stuff too, and a mini farmers market on a Fri. Sadly no longer on a Saturday, was a nice Sat morn routine for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                    Former rugby hero Brendan Mullin accused of nicking half a million.

Vaguely remember him from the days when we were properly shite.
                                                                                                                    He was a class centre at a time when we were shite.

I heard about this 7/8 years ago. He was known for driving a Maserati around town (which has a trident as the car badge) and when this story broke he tried to kill himself in his garden with a garden fork which always stuck in my head…a pretty fucking extreme way to go about killing yourself.

I’m some ways I can’t believe how long this thing has taken to come before the court but this seems to be unfortunately standard for financial crime. Custom house capital delays are an absolute disgrace as well. I suspect it may have suited BOI to keep this hushed up for a while as it’s not exactly a good look to have the head of your private wealth business stealing from you and your clients.
                                                                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Great player , shite cashier

Comment

Those 2 day hangovers are a real pain. Though I guess a bottle of wine, followed by a bottle of vodka, over even several hours would make most people feel unwell for a while. Have to stop calling 50 year old women girls though.
                                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Casey Fitz. Rory Shane. Westwood Victor. Fleetwood Hatton. Rahm Cheeseburger. Sergio Poults.
                                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X