This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Would many of ye have just given up the telly altogether? (not watching shows, but watching TV channels)
    Not quite what he was getting at
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Was also in Dun Laoghaire yesterday and never seen it so busy - was really lovely, the outdoors market set up split across the library garden and the People's Park is so great. DL is such a weird place otherwise, some streets/squares look like heaven and others just around the corner are massively run down.

Comment

Anyone looking for a job or know someone who is? I posted our last opening here and we ended up hiring a friend of an IPBer, and he seems like he's enjoying it! Two roles open at present for people who know something about poker.

One thing to mention that isn't really obvious here is how generous the performance/annual bonus element of the package is; as people might know I worked at both Paddys and Full Tilt/PokerStars and our bonus is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than either, I'm pretty sure for most roles our bonus % is multiples of our competitors.

https://ie.indeed.com/jobs?q=ggpoker&l=North%20Dublin%2C%20County%20Dubl in&advn=6847671775805959&vjk=5d24e6d73fdaf356
        Last edited by DeadParrot; 20-09-21, 14:39.

Comment

This is the last week of Angela Merkel's Chancellorship.

Surely the most important European political figure of our adult lifetimes, yet also the most low-key.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post

I am extremely passionate about people have a right to decide what goes into their body. [...]There are millions upon millions around the world who share my beliefs that this right is worth something.
            The Irish State agrees with you Sam. It's been recognised as a right here for decades. Thing is, rights are not immutable. There are no truly absolute rights because each person's rights necessarily, at certain points, come into conflict with the rights of others. The right to refuse a vaccine, for example, means that the general populace will be more at risk from you and that the rest of us, through the State, may need to accommodate your medical needs in the event of you contracting the virus. So there is a conflicting rights issue. Those are not easily resolved.

Generally you need to examine the relative degrees of harm caused by the exercise of each right. If not taking the vaccine meant that you and you alone were at risk then there's no issue. You can refuse it. Jehovah's Witnesses refuse life-saving blood transfusions all the time, as is their right. For adults at least, this is not a controversy. However, when your choice impacts on the well-being and health of others, then we have to assess the risk to them from your action and decide what the proportionate response should be.

I think it is probably reasonable to arrive at a conclusion where the State will not actively force you to take the vaccine but, if you make that choice, that certain restrictions are placed on your ability to interact with society for the protection of those people who have taken the vaccine or, more to the point, for those people who wish to but cannot take the vaccine. That seems to me to be a proportionate balancing of rights, where you can make the choice you wish but you must do so in the knowledge that it will have certain consequences for the protection of others.

I know you aren't against the vaccine Sam, lest that be unclear. Rather against mandatory vaccination. As I've said before in this thread, it is not an easy question to answer and I think people with good intentions and fully armed with the facts can have genuine disagreements about the right approach to take. This is not a case of good faith v bad faith arguments. It's a genuinely difficult moral and social problem that, like most issues of that nature, probably has no absolutely correct answer.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

The Irish State agrees with you Sam. It's been recognised as a right here for decades. Thing is, rights are not immutable. There are no truly absolute rights because each person's rights necessarily, at certain points, come into conflict with the rights of others. The right to refuse a vaccine, for example, means that the general populace will be more at risk from you and that the rest of us, through the State, may need to accommodate your medical needs in the event of you contracting the virus. So there is a conflicting rights issue. Those are not easily resolved.
              Any idea how the other EU states that have implemented mandates have done this?

Surely we can't be that much of a legal outlier?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Any idea how the other EU states that have implemented mandates have done this?

Surely we can't be that much of a legal outlier?
                Different constitutional regimes give different balances to rights. Ours is a classic common law constitutional order which gives a lot of weight to individual rights over community rights. A lot of civil law systems balance the rights more on the community side. It's really a political choice.

I also think a general mandate might survive legal challenge here if it was done right. The political will just isn't there to do it.

Comment

Had an extremely large dose of luck today. 5 year old punched me full force in between the legs and managed to miss by mms. I was waiting to drop but its seems the todger took the full brunt . I will never again doubt that I run good .
                  1st time I was ever close to kicking him up the hole. Little fecker. Still hurt a bit .

Lotto tickets bought for Weds.

Comment

Different constitutional regimes give different balances to rights. Ours is a classic common law constitutional order which gives a lot of weight to individual rights over community rights. A lot of civil law systems balance the rights more on the community side. It's really a political choice.

I also think a general mandate might survive legal challenge here if it was done right. The political will just isn't there to do it.
                    So jbravado should take the fight to Italy . Forza Sam

Comment

Not sure if you will know but in health care the hep vaccine seems to be standard - is that mandatory or just a case that everyone gets it so it seems so.

I know my wife has to give proof that her shots are up to date when she moves job for instance?

Comment

Tipped up to Dublin for culture night. Ended up in the National Museum (Archaeology) as our first stop. Pretty cool to see the Ardagh Chalice, Cross of Cong etc. All things that I remember reading about in history books at school over 20 years ago. I was in a kind of stunned drooling state to see them and the condition of some of the artefacts is unbelievable. It's a really great little visit and completely free. Went across the road to the Irish Freemason's Grand Lodge on Molesworth Street. That is a very interesting building and has a pretty cool background. Its only public open day is culture night and well worth booking a tour some time. I knew little of the place and the tour only really touches the surface. The last place we went to was the Little Museum of Dublin which is a trove of recent Irish history and pop culture. Minus points for the U2 room but I won't hold it against them. The guides in the museum are good skins and really get into the role.

The next place I'm most keen on visiting is the Natural History Museum but I believe it's being renovated at the moment. Can't believe I've been in Dublin so many times and never went to any of the museums bar Collins Barracks on a youth club tour.

Loads of employees do medicals in work, no? Or at least to start a job. The system for recording is already in place. Whatever it is.
                        In our place, everyone does a medical as part of the hiring process. They do a drug screen before you start but that's it once you're in the door. Numerous people have never turned up or ghosted once they heard about the screening. The previous HR manager said you wouldn't believe the number of people that popped for weed/pills - I would actually have thought this could have been higher than they suggested but anyway...

Managers were told that they can't ask staff about vaccination status and we only stopped mandatory antigen testing last week. Expecting to see a lot more people encouraged back to the office in October.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Not sure if you will know but in health care the hep vaccine seems to be standard - is that mandatory or just a case that everyone gets it so it seems so.

I know my wife has to give proof that her shots are up to date when she moves job for instance?
                          Literally no idea. But I would suspect it's entirely reasonable and proportionate in those circumstances. Plus, if they're a medical professional then they shouldn't really have an issue with vaccines and if they do that's probably a decent red flag.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                            Anyone looking for a job or know someone who is? I posted our last opening here and we ended up hiring a friend of an IPBer, and he seems like he's enjoying it! Two roles open at present for people who know something about poker.

One thing to mention that isn't really obvious here is how generous the performance/annual bonus element of the package is; as people might know I worked at both Paddys and Full Tilt/PokerStars and our bonus is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than either, I'm pretty sure for most roles our bonus % is multiples of our competitors.

https://employers.indeed.com/j#jobs/...d=d2db6029512c
                            think you need to fix that link?
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              Had an extremely large dose of luck today. 5 year old punched me full force in between the legs and managed to miss by mms. I was waiting to drop but its seems the todger took the full brunt . I will never again doubt that I run good .
                              1st time I was ever close to kicking him up the hole. Little fecker. Still hurt a bit .
                              Very Freudian.

Comment

Q for BBV, random drug test in the place you work, what's the % rate that will come back positive? I know if you work in a smaller company the numbers will be skewed. Self employed or sole traders we already know its 100% so no need to post
                                Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Generally you need to examine the relative degrees of harm caused by the exercise of each right.
                                  Extending it beyond rights I have observed that people are as bad at evaluating competing ethical principles in a complex ethical issue as they are at Bayesian probability. Very few people get educated in bioethics, and I almost always see people merely holding to one principle in situations where there are competing ones.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Extending it beyond rights I have observed that people are as bad at evaluating competing ethical principles in a complex ethical issue as they are at Bayesian probability. Very few people get educated in bioethics, and I almost always see people merely holding to one principle in situations where there are competing ones.
                                    Could not agree more.

Comment

Literally no idea. But I would suspect it's entirely reasonable and proportionate in those circumstances. Plus, if they're a medical professional then they shouldn't really have an issue with vaccines and if they do that's probably a decent red flag.
                                      I either had a head cold (most likely as herself had similar the week before) or mild reaction to the first vaccine dose. I rang the health insurance advice line and they said go to the GP as they need to log stats on reactions and also likely get a Covid test. Ended up in the out of hours doc with an older Saffa chap seeing me. I was a bit taken a back when he started telling me to google Ivermectin and he actually wrote it down on a piece of paper gave it to me after. He couldn't understand why it was being given to Irish patients as it was "proven to have worked" on some group of African people who were being treated for parasites. According to him the side effect of the parasite treatment was a super fast recovery from Covid.....

At that point I hadn't heard a lot about the drug but when I googled as I was instructed, I didn't find any reference to what he was talking about. Only that it had been effective in killing Covid in-vitro with 20x times the safe human dosage. Also that it was a particularly harsh drug that should very carefully administered to humans. Plus all of the alarming psuedo-science claims about it. That was probably only my 2nd questionable interaction with a health professional. The only other-time was a vaccine sceptic nurse but that conversation was not in a clinical setting. Fwiw I was all clear after the test and back at work in a few days.

Comment

Generally you need to examine the relative degrees of harm caused by the exercise of each right. If not taking the vaccine meant that you and you alone were at risk then there's no issue. You can refuse it. Jehovah's Witnesses refuse life-saving blood transfusions all the time, as is their right. For adults at least, this is not a controversy. However, when your choice impacts on the well-being and health of others, then we have to assess the risk to them from your action and decide what the proportionate response should be.

I think it is probably reasonable to arrive at a conclusion where the State will not actively force you to take the vaccine but, if you make that choice, that certain restrictions are placed on your ability to interact with society for the protection of those people who have taken the vaccine or, more to the point, for those people who wish to but cannot take the vaccine. That seems to me to be a proportionate balancing of rights, where you can make the choice you wish but you must do so in the knowledge that it will have certain consequences for the protection of others.

I know you aren't against the vaccine Sam, lest that be unclear. Rather against mandatory vaccination. As I've said before in this thread, it is not an easy question to answer and I think people with good intentions and fully armed with the facts can have genuine disagreements about the right approach to take. This is not a case of good faith v bad faith arguments. It's a genuinely difficult moral and social problem that, like most issues of that nature, probably has no absolutely correct answer.
                                        It's the precedence that would be set I'd be concerned about. Like in software development, when fixes are applied, bugs and exploits are often unwittingly introduced too.

Being vaccinated has a massive impact on your ability to fight the virus. Like maybe only 17% of those in ICU these days are fully vaccinated. Employers are mainly concerned about the spread of the virus right. I'm not sure if being vaccinated has a massive impact on transmission on a micro scale.
                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I either had a head cold (most likely as herself had similar the week before) or mild reaction to the first vaccine dose. I rang the health insurance advice line and they said go to the GP as they need to log stats on reactions and also likely get a Covid test. Ended up in the out of hours doc with an older Saffa chap seeing me. I was a bit taken a back when he started telling me to google Ivermectin and he actually wrote it down on a piece of paper gave it to me after. He couldn't understand why it was being given to Irish patients as it was "proven to have worked" on some group of African people who were being treated for parasites. According to him the side effect of the parasite treatment was a super fast recovery from Covid.....

At that point I hadn't heard a lot about the drug but when I googled as I was instructed, I didn't find any reference to what he was talking about. Only that it had been effective in killing Covid in-vitro with 20x times the safe human dosage. Also that it was a particularly harsh drug that should very carefully administered to humans. Plus all of the alarming psuedo-science claims about it. That was probably only my 2nd questionable interaction with a health professional. The only other-time was a vaccine sceptic nurse but that conversation was not in a clinical setting. Fwiw I was all clear after the test and back at work in a few days.
                                          That's insane - you should report him to the Medical Council before somebody actually takes him up on this 'advice'.

Comment

NFL really delivered last night
                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

It's the precedence that would be set I'd be concerned about. Like in software development, when fixes are applied, bugs and exploits are often unwittingly introduced too.

Being vaccinated has a massive impact on your ability to fight the virus. Like maybe only 17% of those in ICU these days are fully vaccinated. Employers are mainly concerned about the spread of the virus right. I'm not sure if being vaccinated has a massive impact on transmission on a micro scale.
                                              Hard cases make bad law. And this sort of case is about as hard as it comes. You can get a sort of mission creep with legislation like this. It opens the door to other, more severe, restrictions in future. The Overton Window can shift permanently once we accept something like this and I am not sure if that's worth the pay off. As I've said before, this is an incredibly complicated question.

Comment

That's insane - you should report him to the Medical Council before somebody actually takes him up on this 'advice'.
                                                That was my first thought but it's very much a non-runner. "Yes I told Mr Coillcam about this promising case with a limited study which was very much early days at that point but at no point did I ever suggest xyz....". There is a huge requirement in terms of pushing something like this forward, which I believe is to protect the patient as much as a doctor. I have an old friend who had a sizeable tumour missed on a scan that was clearly visible but only discovered almost a year later on a separate scan. Thankfully they recovered fully. The just of the advice was to them was that everyone has a bad day at the office and nothing would come from it. Something would need to be objectively massively negligent to proceed rather than a speculative conversation.

Comment

That was my first thought but it's very much a non-runner. "Yes I told Mr Coillcam about this promising case with a limited study which was very much early days at that point but at no point did I ever suggest xyz....". There is a huge requirement in terms of pushing something like this forward, which I believe is to protect the patient as much as a doctor. I have an old friend who had a sizeable tumour missed on a scan that was clearly visible but only discovered almost a year later on a separate scan. Thankfully they recovered fully. The just of the advice was to them was that everyone has a bad day at the office and nothing would come from it. Something would need to be objectively massively negligent to proceed rather than a speculative conversation.

It's not a speculative conversation. At least not how you reported it. It's a doctor's advice to a patient.

He basically told you to take Invermectin and even wrote it down to assist you. That's pretty clearcut.

he started telling me to google Ivermectin and he actually wrote it down on a piece of paper gave it to me after. He couldn't understand why it was being given to Irish patients as it was "proven to have worked" on some group of African people who were being treated for parasites. According to him the side effect of the parasite treatment was a super fast recovery from Covid
                                                  This guy is dangerous.

Comment

A consultant doctor friend of mine yesterday insisted that Ireland is the most litigious country in the world. Other than the insurance scamming "accident" brigade I found that hard to believe. Well, I insisted that we simply couldn't be as litigious as America, at least 94% of the population are lawyers. Are there any metrics that would suggest the relative litigiousness of Ireland?

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                      Q for BBV, random drug test in the place you work, what's the % rate that will come back positive? I know if you work in a smaller company the numbers will be skewed. Self employed or sole traders we already know its 100% so no need to post
                                                      I would have thought drug tests are illegal, but it just hasn't been properly tested in the courts. It can't be against an employment contract for someone to do drugs in their own private time, so the only thing that can affect your job is whether you are currently under the influence of drugs while working. But drug tests afaik only test whether there are traces of drugs in your system, not whether they are affecting you. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

A consultant doctor friend of mine yesterday insisted that Ireland is the most litigious country in the world. Other than the insurance scamming "accident" brigade I found that hard to believe. Well, I insisted that we simply couldn't be as litigious as America, at least 94% of the population are lawyers. Are there any metrics that would suggest the relative litigiousness of Ireland?
                                                        Insurance costs

Comment

I don't have stats, but we make doctors legally liable for the most bizarre stuff, so there are probably loads of extra cases as a result.

Like all those €10m payouts for kids born with defects - that's not based on widely-accepted science, its an odd 'Irish science' based on an assumption that if the birth process isn't procedurally perfect, and realistically no birth process can as its a messy process, then any illness born by the kid is 'caused' by the birth process. Its proper 'edge science' they rely on, and judges accept, to prove liability. Hence why the cases always take ten years with the HSE as the HSE just can't accept the general principle on medical grounds.

The cervical cancer thing and making hospitals legally liable for probabilistic errors that are a feature of the cervical cancer test are another example that has been widely discussed.

Comment

I don't have stats, but we make doctors legally liable for the most bizarre stuff, so there are probably loads of extra cases as a result.

Like all those €10m payouts for kids born with defects - that's not based on widely-accepted science, its an odd 'Irish science' based on an assumption that if the birth process isn't procedurally perfect, and realistically no birth process can as its a messy process, then any illness born by the kid is 'caused' by the birth process. Its proper 'edge science' they rely on, and judges accept, to prove liability. Hence why the cases always take ten years with the HSE as the HSE just can't accept the general principle on medical grounds.

The cervical cancer thing and making hospitals legally liable for probabilistic errors that are a feature of the cervical cancer test are another example that has been widely discussed.
                                                            Every word of this is bullshit.

EDIT: Actually the cervical check thing I sort of agree with.

Comment

No, we are not number 1. It's hard to get precise stats. Some Harvard studies exclude smaller jurisdictions so perfect comparisons across the board aren't really available but generally Germany, Canada and Australia are the top countries for litigation per capita.

Comment

It's not a speculative conversation. At least not how you reported it. It's a doctor's advice to a patient.

He basically told you to take Invermectin and even wrote it down to assist you. That's pretty clearcut.

This guy is dangerous.
                                                                Ivermectin will probably be shown to be a mildly effective treatment. I've a big problem with our establishments suppressing that info because they're worried it will cause people to not get vaccinated. There's absolutely no reason why we can't have prevention as well as treatment. We're always going to have vaccine hesitancy for various reasons.This is a good doctor being weighed down by institutional corruption, trying to do his job to the best of his ability.
                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Ivermectin will probably be shown to be a mildly effective treatment. I've a big problem with our establishments suppressing that info because they're worried it will cause people to not get vaccinated. There's absolutely no reason why we can't have prevention as well as treatment. We're always going to have vaccine hesitancy for various reasons.This is a good doctor being weighed down by institutional corruption, trying to do his job to the best of his ability.
                                                                  There in lies the problem. Where did you get this information?

Comment

No, we are not number 1. It's hard to get precise stats. Some Harvard studies exclude smaller jurisdictions so perfect comparisons across the board aren't really available but generally Germany, Canada and Australia are the top countries for litigation per capita.
                                                                    Not have a pop at you but I would imagine the availability and cost of legal services is a large barrier to entry in Ireland and would lower our stats.
                                                                    Most people who are wronged in a minor way here, and consider legal action, often balk for fear of being left with a massive bill if unsuccessful.

Fair play to this girl for sticking to her guns. Most wouldn't bother considering the hassle, complexity and cost of the legal stuff.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-40860477.html
                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Not have a pop at you but I would imagine the availability and cost of legal services is a large barrier to entry in Ireland and lower our stats.
                                                                      Most people who are wronged in a minor way here, and consider legal action, often balk for fear of being left with a massive bill if unsuccessful.

Fair play to this girl for sticking to her guns. Most wouldn't bother considering the hassle, complexity and cost of the legal stuff.

I don't take it as a pop. Legal costs here can be too high. Not in all circumstances by any means but certainly in a great many. I actually suspect Covid will help to bring them down somewhat, with the new efficiencies being put in place by the courts service. It'll make work for the services side much more cost efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

think you need to fix that link?
                                                                        Shit, you're right and the system isn't letting me save the edits!

Here are the two correct links I hope

https://ie.indeed.com/jobs?q=ggpoker&l=North%20Dublin%2C%20County%20Dubl in&advn=6847671775805959&vjk=5d24e6d73fdaf356
                                                                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 20-09-21, 14:38. Reason: fixed

Comment

You're free to interpret it that way (my missus agrees with you btw) but I don't. He never advised me to take anything. I perceive it to be a case of: "read about this drug that I'm going to write down... it's interesting reading." There's not enough evidence here for anything to ever happen.

My PoV is that he was basing his opinion at that time around cases that were reported through his compatriots back home. There's plenty of info out there about SA being one of the original leaders in using Ivermectin. A poor country with limited treatment options and the vast majority of people with limited access to healthcare. If you look at the countries that were originally reporting the use of the drug, they're all developing countries where healthcare is massively expensive for the average Joe. From what I can see it's desperation in looking at anything affordable that could treat patients. I think the advice on using Ivermectin in SA has since been rolled back.

This guy is dangerous.
                                                                          I can't say for certain but I'm my initial inclination was to agree with you. I think it was a very stupid conversation for him to have had with a patient and I can only believe he meant it in good faith based on the positive reports from his compatriots. I just think it doesn't go any further than a stupid conversation to have but there's not enough there for anything further to happen.

I'm going to stop talking about Ivermectin as I'll end up appearing alongside Joe bRogan acolytes if someone googles it. If the manufacturer of the drug says it's not suitable for covid treatment you can be fairly fucking sure they're worried about its use, that tells its own story.​

Comment

Not have a pop at you but I would imagine the availability and cost of legal services is a large barrier to entry in Ireland and lower our stats.

Costa has a depressing culture and anyone above the on-site manager will never get involved. So there's nowhere to go with a complaint or procedure to handle grievances. My sister worked for a few months in a branch and the bullying of her plus colleagues was horrible. Staff were routinely cut hours or culled from the roster to force them to quit but most left before it got to that.

Comment

​I can't say for certain but I'm my initial inclination was to agree with you. I think it was a very stupid conversation for him to have had with a patient and I can only believe he meant it in good faith based on the positive reports from his compatriots. I just think it doesn't go any further than a stupid conversation to have but there's not enough there for anything further to happen.​
                                                                              I think you're being generous but your call.

For me, it'd be the equivalent of going in to see Kayroo about a boundary wall dispute and walking out with advice to sue Bill Gates.

Comment

There in lies the problem. Where did you get this information?
                                                                                There's more than enough studies out there. The problem is they're all from small, independent, 3rd world groups so many of them are unreliable, some even fraudulent. But there's still enough info to suggest it is an effective treatment. The UK are testing it as part of their Principle trial at the moment. When we get those results we'll know with very high certainty. Thing is they started testing it 3 months ago and still haven't published anything... Something fishy is going on here and it's extremely worrying.
                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Every word of this is bullshit.

EDIT: Actually the cervical check thing I sort of agree with.
                                                                                  Its quite possible. Thats why I'm trying out the idea here rather than on twitter. But I did some search of the scientific literature before on the relationship between, say, birth problems and cerebral palsy - as in this case, for example. It seemed a very fringe scientific literature and far from mainstream that there is a definite link between birth problems and cerebral palsy. In most cases, it simply isn't known what the cause of cerebral palsy is. Yet, the assumption - and the massively expensive assumption of the public - is that it must have happened during birth.

Comment

Turns out the dentist up the road here in Newcastle has been done for dealing drugs . Know him for ages . Never knew the fucker was a dentist.

Comment

Something fishy is going on here and it's extremely worrying.
                                                                                      Go on...what's fishy and why are you worried?

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                        Mikey Fogarty, Cheltenham winning jockey came on as a sub for St Annes in Wexford hurling final. Thought it was a shame he retired a few years ago. Thought he could have become one of the best in Ireland.
                                                                                        He hasn't been nearly as busy or as prolific as he was in the lead up to his retirement in 2017 but Mikey was back riding since late '19 he's had about a dozen winners from over a hundred rides and afaik is riding out at Closutton. His last ride was at Fairyhouse in April so perhaps he has bowed out again he's definitely one of the more talented lads riding?
                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Its quite possible. Thats why I'm trying out the idea here rather than on twitter. But I did some search of the scientific literature before on the relationship between, say, birth problems and cerebral palsy - as in this case, for example. It seemed a very fringe scientific literature and far from mainstream that there is a definite link between birth problems and cerebral palsy. In most cases, it simply isn't known what the cause of cerebral palsy is. Yet, the assumption - and the massively expensive assumption of the public - is that it must have happened during birth.
                                                                                          Well, I have sat through cases where we had expert evidence for weeks on the connection between hypoxic-ischemia and cerebral palsy. The evidence, from experts in Harvard, the UK and Japan, was thoroughly tested and examined. Catastrophic birth cases are awful. The evidence is traumatic and the science is thoroughly tested but rarely challenged anymore in terms of the connection between an ischemic injury and cerebral palsy as the scientific consensus, so far as I understand it, agrees that a hypoxic-ischemia is a cause of cerebral palsy. The negligence, and the issue normally determined in Irish courts, is whether or not the hospital acted within the bounds of what is called "generally approved practice".

I have seen cases where the hospital claimed that the delay between birth and intubation was 6 minutes (not great but not seriously unsafe) whereas the evidence clearly established it was closer to 25 minutes. Without a child breathing.

In terms of the sums awarded, they have been criticised by our own judiciary but not for being too large really. The issue was that the law only provided for a once-off lump sum payment. That payment had to be calculated to assess the total financial needs of a young child with cerebral palsy for their entire lifetime. It was an attempt, as one judge famously called it, at judicial crystal ball gazing. It was impossible, even with the best actuarial evidence, to work out the costs. And it created perversions. If the court awarded €10,000,000.00. (for example) and the child died 6 months later then the parents/next of kin took the benefit. If the court awarded too little, then when the child reached a certain age the money would run out and they would be without proper financial provision.

The courts called for, and finally were given, the power to make staged payments. So they award less up front and then periodically review it as the child grows. This is a smaller up front hit for the insurance company (or the State) which allows for better long term provisioning. It also means there is less waste and less chance of the money running out.

If you want to read an excellent text on this topic you could try Doireann O'Mahony's book "Medical Negligence and Child Birth". It's very accessible and really covers the whole area brilliantly.

Comment

My main task for the first day back in work was to order a door sign with my name, as seemingly the school was too busy over the last 13 months to do this. Then, when it arrived saying 'Dr Hitch', I sent it back asking for it to be reissued as 'Prof Hitch'.

I feel that will go down in the annals as one of my more productive days.

Comment

Thanks kayroo that looks really interesting. I guess we have the same fundamental point, as both your post and mine said birth trauma is a cause of cerebral palsy. I feel that in the way you've written that you've tried to gloss over the a. The issue which I was noting is that there are quite a few possible causes of cerebral palsy and there's no way of specifically connecting birth to cerebral palsy as far as I could read, absent some specific pre-testing which rarely exists. Although I didn't read deep, but I do understand medical articles.

I think regarding expert testimony that it's also well enough established that there is always a medical expert willing to say anything. No medical case was floundered for want for available medical experts for hire.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Shit, you're right and the system isn't letting me save the edits!

Here are the two correct links I hope

nope still wonky.
                                                                                                Indeed's site is a pain at times.
                                                                                                I've linked them above

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                  Those who enjoyed don’t fck with cats series might enjoy a quick search online for gabby petito. A don’t fck with cats as it’s unfolding presently. IG account houseinhabit story has lots. Mad stuff.
                                                                                                  Went down a bit of a rabbit hole on this today.
                                                                                                  Absolutely mental story altogether. Her body was found today and the guy has gone missing.
                                                                                                  His parent's behaviour is only the latest weird thing.
                                                                                                  They reported him missing friday after not seeing him since Tuesday.
                                                                                                  He apparantely went for a hike, they went looking for him, drove his car back home and waited a few days before telling anyone

Comment

The doctors and the hospital never accept responsibility afaik - just seems like an Irish solution to help parents pay for the long term care rather than having a good system in place that’s fully free to access. That’s my take on it in any case.

Comment

My main task for the first day back in work was to order a door sign with my name, as seemingly the school was too busy over the last 13 months to do this. Then, when it arrived saying 'Dr Hitch', I sent it back asking for it to be reissued as 'Prof Hitch'.

I've never had a door in my entire career.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

The doctors and the hospital never accept responsibility afaik - just seems like an Irish solution to help parents pay for the long term care rather than having a good system in place that’s fully free to access. That’s my take on it in any case.
                                                                                                        Well there is one cartel of vested interests who benefit greatly from this 'system' that I can think of.
                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Went down a bit of a rabbit hole on this today.
                                                                                                          Absolutely mental story altogether. Her body was found today and the guy has gone missing.
                                                                                                          His parent's behaviour is only the latest weird thing.
                                                                                                          They reported him missing friday after not seeing him since Tuesday.
                                                                                                          He apparantely went for a hike, they went looking for him, drove his car back home and waited a few days before telling anyone
                                                                                                          Never heard anything about this. Is there a link with cliff's etc ?

Comment

Ha I once had an office with my initials on it WC .

FML

Comment

I was just thinking today, on the first real day there in six years that it's the flaw of the place - that everyone's hidden behind doors. It would be much better for people talking to each other if the place was more open.

Comment

I was just thinking today, on the first real day there in six years that it's the flaw of the place - that everyone's hidden behind doors. It would be much better for people talking to each other if the place was more open.
                                                                                                                I was given an office once and moved out of it after a day.

Comment

I've had one for a weirdly long amount of time despite being relatively junior within the company, popping into it for the last time tomorrow, might steal the name plate

Comment

I was given an office once and moved out of it after a day.
                                                                                                                    I don't have an office atm unless I share a small office with windows and doors open while masked up. I can't even hot desk as other departments have higher priority to be on-site. I don't mind WFH where possible tbh.

Comment

Never heard anything about this. Is there a link with cliff's etc ?
                                                                                                                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disapp...f_Gabby_Petito

Couple doing a cross country trip and doing IG vblog type thing.
                                                                                                                      27th Aug Couple have fight and police called (police have since released bodycam footage)

girl seems a bit of a headcase and fella is advised to stay in hotel for the night without her
                                                                                                                      --scene missing--
                                                                                                                      tik tok blogger type says she picked fella up hitch hiking on 29th sept
                                                                                                                      https://www.her.ie/news/tiktoker-cla...chhiker-534579

---

1 September - Mr Laundrie returns to North Port in Ms Petito’s van without her, according to police reports.

10 September - Ms Schmidt says she texted Mr Laudrie and his mother, Roberta Laundrie, making inquiries about her daughter but received no reply.

11 September - Missing person’s investigation opened after Ms Schmidt reports Ms Petito’s disappearance to Suffolk County Police in New York. Search begins near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, her last known intended destination.

13 September - Laundrie family refuses to allow North Port police to speak to their son and issues statement via their lawyer, Steve Bertolino, saying they will be “remaining in the background”. Ms Petito’s parents Nicole Schmidt and Joe Petito host press conference, appealing for information.

14 September - Police declare Brian Laundrie “person of interest”. James Schmidt, Ms Petito’s stepfather, flies out to join search in Wyoming. Mr Petito appears on Fox News to berate the Laundries for declining to co-operate with detectives.

15 September - Police release body camera footage of Moab City encounter with officer. Gabby Petito’s stepfather, James Schmidt, flies to Wyoming to search for Ms Petito and hang missing person fliers.

16 September - Petito family issues statement through their lawyer begging the Laundrie family to help them with the search for Ms Petito.

17 September - Mr Laundrie’s family call investigators to their home and admit that Brian has been missing since Tuesday.

18 September - FBI and Florida police launch a major manhunt to find Brian Laundrie, focusing their search on Florida’s Carlton Reserve

19 September - Footage is released by a couple on YouTube that appears to confirm the van that Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie were travelling in was in the Grand Teton National Park on August 27.

as of an hour ago, FBI are issue search warrant and enter his parents house
                                                                                                                      and it's live
                                                                                                                      #BREAKING POLICE ACTIVITY AT BRIAN LAUNDRIE'S HOME: Law enforcement officers swarmed the home of Brian Laundrie's family this morning and put up crime scene ...

oh yeah
                                                                                                                      reddit internet sleuths are on the case too

fucking headcases in that subreddit
                                                                                                                      Last edited by DeadParrot; 20-09-21, 15:49.

Comment

There's more than enough studies out there. The problem is they're all from small, independent, 3rd world groups so many of them are unreliable, some even fraudulent. But there's still enough info to suggest it is an effective treatment. The UK are testing it as part of their Principle trial at the moment. When we get those results we'll know with very high certainty. Thing is they started testing it 3 months ago and still haven't published anything... Something fishy is going on here and it's extremely worrying.
                                                                                                                        What's the info saying that (only one I saw was fraud), all the science sources I've seen say something along the lines of:

There are hundreds of papers looking at ivermectin vs. COVID-19. In general, the larger and more carefully conducted the studies are, the weaker the effect that's seen with ivermectin. That's a pattern that's seen with things that don't actually work well.

A couple of the more recent, large, randomized controlled studies are not optimistic, but don't completely rule out possible weak effects:

In this randomized clinical trial that included 476 patients, the duration of symptoms was not significantly different for patients who received a 5-day course of ivermectin compared with placebo (median time to resolution of symptoms, 10 vs 12 days; hazard ratio for resolution of symptoms, 1.07).

The findings do not support the use of ivermectin for treatment of mild COVID-19, although larger trials may be needed to understand effects on other clinically relevant outcomes.

--Effect of Ivermectin on Time to Resolution of Symptoms Among Adults With Mild COVID-19

It's obvious that the possible role for ivermectin hasn't been automatically dismissed -- all the major players included trials for it, there are hundreds of papers, and there are dozens of registered clinical trials investigating it.

And yet there are no large, randomized controlled trials that clearly show a clinical effect of ivermectin on COVID-19 mortality, sickness, time to recovery, etc. Sometimes there are marginal effects on surrogate factors (lower virus titers; effects on cultured cells). But the thing about useful, effective treatments is that you don't have to look at surrogate measures. If some studies find a weak effect and others find no effect -- If you have hundreds of people in your randomized trial and you need more to decide if there's any effect at all -- then any effect must be weak or non-existent.

We're at that point with ivermectin. It's been given a long, hard, careful look, and the conclusion is that there may be something there but it's really marginal.

Comment

My sister worked for a few months in a branch and the bullying of her plus colleagues was horrible.
                                                                                                                          I initially read that as they were bullying the plus-sized colleagues.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X