Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lao Lao will be getting paid by Christmas at this rate.

Although at least the rampant narcissist got put in his place by the Young Boys. A name from a more innocent time.

Edit: just googled them. Do they really play at the Wankdorf Stadium?
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

The mobile phone data was really the only piece of evidence that in any way tied him to the death. The DPP had mountains of evidence of him having violent sexual proclivities and of him threatening and harassing Ms. O'Hara. But nothing that physically tied him to the murder. They used the mobile phone data to put him near the ultimate location of the body. That was the key element that allowed them to identify Dwyer and to tie him to the murder. Without it, the prosecution case is probably too weak to survive a retrial.

That's assuming there would be a retrial. Could you find 12 people to serve on a jury who didn't know who Graham Dwyer was or the issue with the mobile phone data? Even if it was excluded by the ECJ, this has been a phenomenally high profile matter since the initial verdict. No chance he gets a fair trial again. So if he wins this, the Supreme Court then has a decision to make. The outcome of the ECJ ruling is not likely to determine the matter outright. It just answers a question the Supreme Court here asked, which in turn will assist them in making their ultimate decision.
      Is the AG's argument at the ECJ not a bit crap though? "We should be able to use data, that we preciously agreed was off limits, because it will help us lock up baddies".

Is the data not clearly fruit of the poisonous tree?
      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

If you think 33% is bad wait until the Donegal IRA are running Finance
        The only good thing that will come out of them (inevitably?) coming into power is to see them squirm, dodge and try and defend the shite that their members will get up to. Cause the vast majority of them are morons of the highest regard. Will make Zapponegate and all this other malarkey look like nothing.... cause it kinda is.

Comment

Ah bollix. Norm Macdonald dead. I didn't even know he was unwell https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ormer-snl-dies

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Beat:Strimmed through a wasps nest this evening around 6ish. Thankfully was wearing a face shield and ear muffs. Back of my head and neck got the brunt of stings. Ran inside, but was at least 400M to safety. Don't know how many times I was stung. I would guess >50. Only coming right now. Felt like I was going to throw up a couple of times. Few whiskeys seem to have done the trick.

Brag:didn't cry
            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Comment

Jaysus, think i'd be off to A&E if i got 50+ stings to be on the safe side

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                  When I was making trips to South Africa, there were periodically news stories about people being killed when they disturbed bees nests. South African bees being particularly ferocious.

There was one particularly unlucky chap who (a) crashed his car and broke his legs, (b) the crash hit an electricity transformer which (c), contained a nest of killer bees which, suitably enraged, flew into the wreck of the car and stung what was left of him to death.

The perfect trifecta of misfortune.

Comment

From googling it, apparently the average adult can handle 1,000 bee stings (kids, half that).

Also this interesting tidbit.

In the United States, 3 or 4 times more people die from bee stings than from snakebites.
                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

From googling it, apparently the average adult can handle 1,000 bee stings (kids, half that).

Ha! I did too and saw the article you saw. I also saw another one that said it could be as little as 40 or 50 (and 1 obviously if you were allergic) so seems rather arbitrary.

Comment

RIP Norm

Comment

What could they really do for ya? Bit of aloe vera and some painkillers? I've overdone it on aloe vera and some 16 year old Bushmills I got about 2 years ago for Christmas. A&E have more serious stuff to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

What could they really do for ya? Bit of aloe vera and some painkillers? I've overdone it on aloe vera and some 16 year old Bushmills I got about 2 years ago for Christmas. A&E have more serious stuff to deal with.
                            Probably yeah - i guess many would panic though and therefore it would be a fairly natural reaction.

Comment

Can’t find the first part of it but the burn of Matt later in first 30 secs of this video of Norms roast of Clinton is rest is great too , easily best roast ever

this is great too
                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Remember a great article in one of those godawful poker mags that used to be sitting around in the fitz/emp where norm was being interviewed on a Vegas bender and managed to get the journalist to charge 10’s of thousands to his credit card to stay in action- never been able to find it since but was terrific degen stuff
                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Also this interesting tidbit.
                                  he said it was a wasps nest though, and as few as 50 could possibly kill you, and those cunts can sting you multiple times. god i hate wasps (and hornets).

Comment

"Bioscience firm claims it will bring back extinct woolly mammoth". Can we get pterodactyl and saber-toothed cat next please?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                      "Bioscience firm claims it will bring back extinct woolly mammoth". Can we get pterodactyl and saber-toothed cat next please?

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/202...46744-mammoth/
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/202...46744-mammoth/
                                        Tasmanian tigers.

Although drunken Tasmanians have been reporting sightings of them for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Tasmanian tigers.

Although drunken Tasmanians have been reporting sightings of them for decades.
                                          My ex has both covered . More wolly mammoth though. To think she was once such a gazelle .

WASPS are vital little bastards unfortunately. Dont kill em drill em or strim em .

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

he said it was a wasps nest though, and as few as 50 could possibly kill you, and those cunts can sting you multiple times. god i hate wasps (and hornets).
                                            That would be an unfortunate time to confuse wasps and bees.

Comment

But without, in any way, dissing Pat. I would imagine 'up to 10 stings' in the heat of the moment from wasps could be mistaken for 'up to 50 stings'. You're not there ticking off each sting on a counter.

Comment

But without, in any way, dissing Pat. I would imagine 'up to 10 stings' in the heat of the moment from wasps could be mistaken for 'up to 50 stings'. You're not there ticking off each sting on a counter.
                                                Wasps less potent dose than bees I'd say as they might need to sting you again etc.

Comment

I feel this post to be somewhat lacking in empathy.

We will note this for several months time when you are expressing frustrations with the conveyancing process.

Comment

I'd say Pat himself, when he finally works the wasp poison through his system and is back on his feet, would also acknowledge that 50 wasps was a rough estimate. And every wasp that has the temerity to sting Pat is now my personal enemy, so take that for lack of empathy. I just need to acknowledge the maths.

Comment

We will note this for several months time when you are expressing frustrations with the conveyancing process.
                                                      What the what? We're turning up for our first meeting with the solicitor next week to sign contracts and hand over the deposit check. Is that not it? (genuine question, I was thinking we could be moved in by the end of the month if we pushed ourselves).

Comment

Is that the first thought on my spectacular achievement?!! Haven't worked out the tax fully. I think its a few grand - the betting gain on Biden is taxfree. AIB gain was from around 8k up to 15k. So a 7k taxable gain. I then topped up that 15k to 16.75k with cash for investing in crypto. 5k of the 27k crypto value is still unrealised as I've clung on to it desperately to maintain some semblance of investment. So only some of the 10k crypto gain is taxable at this moment.
                                                        That's pretty good going considering he last few weeks/month. Look at the CGT in detail. It's an absolute scandalous 33%, but its also not calculated on the lump sum, it's per disposal.
                                                        May work out in your favour. But without ever testing it, I always kinda figured the individual -/+'s come to the same number as the lump sum method.

FWIW, the CGT on 22k crypto would be 4714. Can knock off another 400 or so, if any gains were last year.

I imagine way less than 50% of crypto investors are paying tax. Just an observation.

Comment

Trinity library room, or old Palace bar.

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I'd say Pat was too busy breaking the land speed record for 400 metres to be worried about an exact count

At least he was wearing a mask

Comment

What the what? We're turning up for our first meeting with the solicitor next week to sign contracts and hand over the deposit check. Is that not it? (genuine question, I was thinking we could be moved in by the end of the month if we pushed ourselves).
                                                                Ah, the innocence of youth. It's charming really.

Comment

What more is there? I've actually no idea.

Comment

What more is there? I've actually no idea.
                                                                    They're gonna check if the maps are right, outstanding charges against the property etc.
                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I'd say Pat himself, when he finally works the wasp poison through his system and is back on his feet, would also acknowledge that 50 wasps was a rough estimate. And every wasp that has the temerity to sting Pat is now my personal enemy, so take that for lack of empathy. I just need to acknowledge the maths.
                                                                      You're right, bit of an exaggeration but felt like 50. Just to be transparent, I've counted the little bumps on my skin left from the little bastards and the grand total comes to 23. Maybe doesn't take into account an area I was stung twice.

Comment

The New Roger Casement Statue at Dun Laoghaire is perfect. Well done whoever decided on it. Puts the Luke Kelly monstrosity to shame.

Keep away SP.

Comment

You're right, bit of an exaggeration but felt like 50. Just to be transparent, I've counted the little bumps on my skin left from the little bastards and the grand total comes to 23. Maybe doesn't take into account an area I was stung twice.
                                                                          Be on the lookout for strange new powers and an urge to fight crime!

Comment

The way they protect your money for 4-6 weeks in their account.
                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

They're gonna check if the maps are right, outstanding charges against the property etc.
                                                                              ah cool. Think that's all been more or less done. Just needing some final ticks of boxes.

Comment

Uncanny foresight from 1976.

Comment

Is the AG's argument at the ECJ not a bit crap though? "We should be able to use data, that we preciously agreed was off limits, because it will help us lock up baddies".

Is the data not clearly fruit of the poisonous tree?
                                                                                  "Fruit of the poisoned tree" doesn't really full grasp the concept. Makes it seem too simplistic. In Ireland we used to have 2 standards. Evidence gained in an illegal manner was admissible at the discretion of the judge, applying a reasonably strict test to ensure the Gardai didn't end up being incentivised to break the law. The higher standard was evidence gained in breach of a constitutional right. Up until 2015 the law was reasonably clear (DPP v Kenny) that unconstitutionally gained evidence was a hard no. In 2015 the case of DPP v JC changed the law to allow unconstitutionally gained evidence to be admissible under certain circumstances. That was, to say the least, controversial. The rationale for the change was, in part, that the prosecution and prevention of crimes was of such a public good that a hard barrier on evidence innocently obtained in breach of a constitutional right threatened the public's trust in the criminal justice system.

The argument of the AG in this case is more complex than just "it'll help us lock up baddies". Ireland, along with Germany, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Spain, France, Cyprus, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Finland and Sweden are all arguing that the previous ruling of the ECJ was far too restrictive and failed to take into account practical difficulties with issues such as how long data could be retained for, the scope of the permissible retention and whether metadata should be subject to the same restrictions as individualised data such as text messages and emails.

The law enforcement argument is a persuasive one and is a nuanced and difficult argument. Ultimately, the court is being asked to rule on whether Ireland's law on this is compatible with the treaties and EU law generally. The ECJ have previously given a very narrow interpretation to certain elements of that legal regime and it is clear that the governments of a dozen member states feel sufficiently strongly about it that they want the ECJ to revisit that position with the benefit of full argument.

On a side note, court reporters are usually hamstrung in trying to interpret legal arguments without the benefit of the papers and the written submissions. It can be easy to misinterpret a very nuanced point or, even where the journalist absolutely understands it, to translate a nuanced point that was teased out over several hours into 500-1000 words of text for the morning paper. I wouldn't put too much weight on the characterisation of the arguments. Better to read the judgment, whenever it comes out, where the arguments will be summarised (in part).
                                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

That's pretty good going considering he last few weeks/month. Look at the CGT in detail. It's an absolute scandalous 33%, but its also not calculated on the lump sum, it's per disposal.
                                                                                    May work out in your favour. But without ever testing it, I always kinda figured the individual -/+'s come to the same number as the lump sum method.

FWIW, the CGT on 22k crypto would be 4714. Can knock off another 400 or so, if any gains were last year.

I imagine way less than 50% of crypto investors are paying tax. Just an observation.

Its surely 'per gain'.

Invest 8k in AIB, sell for 15k - pay €2,320 CGT.

Invest 17k in Crypto. Sell 80% of it (22k/27k value) for 22k. Implied purchase base is 80% of 17k = €13,600. Imputed gain is €8,400, so tax is €2,770.

Total taxable gain is €2,320 + €2,770 - €1,270 (taxfree allowance) = €3,820.

Comment

FAO Guitar wankers.

Im going to make a conscious effort to learn the guitar, as stated in the past if i had actually started when i said i would id be Claptonesq at this stage no doubt.

Im obv wasting my time with this from Amazon ? ?

Mate of mine has said to physically go in and try several in a music shop, the right one will feel right...and something about solid wood, be willing to pay 350-500.

I have wasted a lot more money on lesser fads in the past but if i am monetarily bought in may make me practice more!

This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                        FAO Guitar wankers.

Im going to make a conscious effort to learn the guitar, as stated in the past if i had actually started when i said i would id be Claptonesq at this stage no doubt.

Im obv wasting my time with this from Amazon ? ?

Mate of mine has said to physically go in and try several in a music shop, the right one will feel right...and something about solid wood, be willing to pay 350-500.

I have wasted a lot more money on lesser fads in the past but if i am monetarily bought in may make me practice more!

My 2 cents. For starting off any basic model will do but make sure the action isnt too high. The shop will tell you. 300 max starting off then as you progress you might like better models .

I'd also recommend finger exercises on the guitar to develop finger independance. Then learn some chords and some songs and enjoy. You may prefer to simply learn scales and jam etc . I'd also advise to have set times every day to spend to practice but try to have the mindset that's it's not a chore

Journal your practice and tick off as you gain competence.

Comment

Uncanny foresight from 1976.

Further proof of one of my favourite ideas that it was reasonably easy to predict mobile communications and even conceptually the internet but everyone saw the wrist watch being used as a mobile phone but no one predicted that your mobile phone would become everyone's pocket watch

In fairness to Clarke there he does mention that a screen would be an essential component.

Comment

He slaughtered their gaff!

If I had a sword sticking out of my arse I'd plunge it into him too.
                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Do ye driving professionals put dashcams on yer cars? It seems like maybe a two-way thing. You've both a record of others mistakes as well as a record of your own mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

He slaughtered their gaff!

If I had a sword sticking out of my arse I'd plunge it into him too.
                                                                                                I now have a hilarious mental picture of you chasing Pat Mustard and stabbing him 50 times with your arse sword. ( or maybe 30)

Comment

Has anyone dealt with Japanese Knotweed? Strange situation in that it seems to exist / did exist on the property of a cottage my parents own in Wexford that nobody has stayed in in 20 years. The latest Google Maps photo from Aug 2019 shows signs on the fence saying Japanese Knotweed and that it has been chemically sprayed. They have no idea who did that, or over what period of time.

I'm pondering doing something with the cottage (making it a little meditation solo retreat place), but the existence of Japanese Knotweed is disinclining me somewhat due to the hassle and uncertainty / cost of what to do about that.

Comment

Do ye driving professionals put dashcams on yer cars? It seems like maybe a two-way thing. You've both a record of others mistakes as well as a record of your own mistakes.
                                                                                                    Yeah, they're so cheap and easy to install that it doesn't make sense to not have it. Gives you almost 100% peace of mind for any incident or collision you have.

Comment

Its surely 'per gain'.

Invest 8k in AIB, sell for 15k - pay €2,320 CGT.

Invest 17k in Crypto. Sell 80% of it (22k/27k value) for 22k. Implied purchase base is 80% of 17k = €13,600. Imputed gain is €8,400, so tax is €2,770.

Total taxable gain is €2,320 + €2,770 - €1,270 (taxfree allowance) = €3,820.
                                                                                                      Did your crypto consist of a single purchase of 17k a single asset, And then a single sell of 22k worth. That would be one event.

But, if you bought bits and pieces of multiple coins. And trading some crypto for another, moving around etc. To end up as current holdings. Every trade is a taxable event. This could go in your favour.
                                                                                                      I used 22/27*16500 as acquisition cost. So a 8550 gain

The 1270 is a tax free allowance. Not a tax rebate.
                                                                                                      That comes off pre taxable gain, not the post tax bill.

7000 + 8550 - 1270 =14,280 * .33 = 4710

I

Comment

Beat:Strimmed through a wasps nest this evening around 6ish. Thankfully was wearing a face shield and ear muffs. Back of my head and neck got the brunt of stings. Ran inside, but was at least 400M to safety. Don't know how many times I was stung. I would guess >50. Only coming right now. Felt like I was going to throw up a couple of times. Few whiskeys seem to have done the trick.

Brag:didn't cry

Comment

Did your crypto consist of a single purchase of 17k a single asset, And then a single sell of 22k worth. That would be one event.

But, if you bought bits and pieces of multiple coins. And trading some crypto for another, moving around etc. To end up as current holdings. Every trade is a taxable event. This could go in your favour.

I
                                                                                                          Just never stop hodl'ing

Like that Paddy Irishman one joke where he stabs himself with the fork.
                                                                                                          That taxman ain't making a canoe out of me
                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Sandro Tornali 14s to score anytime v the pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                              Sandro Tornali 14s to score anytime v the pool.
                                                                                                              He's on the bench

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

He's on the bench
                                                                                                                Void so pftt

Comment

I've only ever been stung once by a wasp.

It was about 25 years ago and I was sitting on the jacks in work having a shit when I felt something crawling on my neck.

Immediate reaction was to flick whatever it was off my neck and as I did so, the fucker stung me.

I somehow managed to flick him into the undercarriage of my boxer shorts which were down around my ankles and to make matters worse, I didn't kill him, I just stunned him.

By the time I realised he had gone into my jocks, he was already started to come to so I had to stand up and gently try to hoosh him out of my boxers without propelling him up into my balls, all the while holding in the shit I was in the middle of only moments earlier.

It was a tad traumatic...

Comment

I
                                                                                                                    Ah! Wow that's super shit. Thought it was the same as a regular tax allowance where the first 1270 of tax due is not due. They're such bollixes.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                      Has anyone dealt with Japanese Knotweed? Strange situation in that it seems to exist / did exist on the property of a cottage my parents own in Wexford that nobody has stayed in in 20 years. The latest Google Maps photo from Aug 2019 shows signs on the fence saying Japanese Knotweed and that it has been chemically sprayed. They have no idea who did that, or over what period of time.

I'm pondering doing something with the cottage (making it a little meditation solo retreat place), but the existence of Japanese Knotweed is disinclining me somewhat due to the hassle and uncertainty / cost of what to do about that.
                                                                                                                      It will have been the council that organised the treatment, surprising that they didn't contact you though. must be worth calling them about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Void so pftt
                                                                                                                        Not when he comes on in 88th minute

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                          The Joey Diaz episode when he was a guest on that was probably the funnest half hour ever. The woman with the wooden leg story...
                                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X