This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dobby View Post
    I've never had sushi and want to try it. Can anyone recommend the best sushi place I can go in Dublin? Somewhere that wouldn't mind a noob not having a clue what to order would be a bonus.
    +1 for Yamamori
    First time I had sushi was there, must have been 15 years ago. So might not have maintain standards.
    Was recommended the aburi salmon (lightly grilled/torched salmon). I think that's still my main go to if I'm grabbing sushi.
    Soft shell crab is also amazing, but not sure if that'll be there.

Comment

The kidney stones must have been causing some fluid retention. Have lost .5kg a day since last week, without any dietary changes. First time to get below 120kg since last September 12th.
      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

He's correct in that electric is the future. But it is also talking bollox in typical over eager sales fashion.
        Ireland is probably behind the rest of the world in electric car infrastructure. It's better here, but I'd still need to see more wide spread adoption of charging stations before I'd consider it +EV. It's been a while since I've been back, but don't remember seeing many public fast chargers the last time. Maybe in business parks and the like.

On that note. What charger do you have? I imagine quite a few people are getting screwed on the fine print there. Promised 2 hour charges on the forecourt, but managing 24 hours at home.
        I know your not likely to be a high distance user, would still be good to inspect that.

You were absolutely right to learn in a manual. but autos should really be more widespread for city drivers. There's a lot of terrible drivers out there who just need to keep it simple.
        Many people report similar the first time they drive and automatic. Feels like a go kart compared to a clutch. I imagine the latest ones have more sophisticated brake assist.
        I've used a car share for about 2 years, since my own was mangled by a truck. One of the cars I use regular is an electric, the other is an auto. Both have drive assist. Which makes long highway drives a doddle. Similar to cruise control, but instead of maintaining a speed it tracks cars around and adjusts speed. You go from doing 120km on the motorway, down to 80km without even noticing.

Obviously the like of Tesla take it to the next level.
        He's only failed the driving test twice, don't know if he falls into terrible category just yet.
        Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

He's correct in that electric is the future. But it is also talking bollox in typical over eager sales fashion.
          Ireland is probably behind the rest of the world in electric car infrastructure. It's better here, but I'd still need to see more wide spread adoption of charging stations before I'd consider it +EV. It's been a while since I've been back, but don't remember seeing many public fast chargers the last time. Maybe in business parks and the like.

On that note. What charger do you have? I imagine quite a few people are getting screwed on the fine print there. Promised 2 hour charges on the forecourt, but managing 24 hours at home.
          I know your not likely to be a high distance user, would still be good to inspect that.

You were absolutely right to learn in a manual. but autos should really be more widespread for city drivers. There's a lot of terrible drivers out there who just need to keep it simple.
          Many people report similar the first time they drive and automatic. Feels like a go kart compared to a clutch. I imagine the latest ones have more sophisticated brake assist.
          I've used a car share for about 2 years, since my own was mangled by a truck. One of the cars I use regular is an electric, the other is an auto. Both have drive assist. Which makes long highway drives a doddle. Similar to cruise control, but instead of maintaining a speed it tracks cars around and adjusts speed. You go from doing 120km on the motorway, down to 80km without even noticing.

Obviously the like of Tesla take it to the next level.
          Charging infra has grown a bit but it's unreliable and not well thought out. Often terrible locations in cities/towns and you still have to pay on street parking costs in Dublin which really adds to the cost.

The charging infra at train stations tend to have one car plugged in for the day, a lot of broken chargers as the nationwide rollout had a very wide arrange of chargers which couldn't be efficiently maintained. The Leaf has the added issue of CHAdeMO vs CCS which means it's going to really suffer in 5 years time on the resale market (basically fast charging infra on Leafs will no be generally supported very much anywhere outside of Japan or you'll need a converter).

If you're going electric you need to have the home set-up and you need to be confident that it will meet your commute/travel needs most of the time and accept that it won't suit everytime and have a plan to deal with that (other car (hybrid is a good option) or a car rental scenario). If that's the case then they are a nice comfortable drive and as the range of models and types grows they will become increasingly attractive. If carbon taxes begin to seriously rise that may make them more attractive but we also have rolling electricity blackouts to look forward to so nothing is certain....

I'd imagine Hitch has no home charging at the moment until he moves into his new gaff.
          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Greatest tennis player to ever do it still on course for the calendar grand slam. Roger who?
            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

* Portable/ Granny charger (plugs into any 3pin plug) will draw 1.8 kW into a battery. Useful for overnight when you've driven to a pal's or whatever but I'm not sure about long term feasibility of every other night outside your house.
              * EVSE installation (grant of €600 available if you own an electric car) can be installed at your house and draw 6.6kW. This will be the bread and butter charging done by people who have driveways, and this is the setup that would give someone huge discounts vs Petrol if doing lots of miles.
              * Fast Charging is anywhere from 50kW to 350kW (depending on installation and also your car's on-board charger / inverter) and requires serious infrastructure to get that power output, as a result ends up being 5-15x as expensive per kW compared to home charging.

Now the rest is pretty simple to figure out. Ioniq needs to use 12/16 kWh of battery to do 100km. Leaf probably 16-18. Other larger cars / depending on motorway driving may be up to 22/24.

So if I need to drive 100km tomorrow, I need 16kWh into the battery (if I arrive ~0% at destination). That's;
              ~ 10hours on portable (I better plug in when I arrive - and if off early, I may need a top up somewhere along the way)
              ~ 3hours from EVSE
              ~ 20mins @ fast charger (Ioniq charges ~ 50kW at standard fast chargers)

I made the analogy before with electric cars about when we moved from Nokia 3310s that we charged (filled up at petrol station) once every 2 weeks, to the smartphones that we charge every single night, however that's already an outdated analogy as for 99% of Irish people, even with second hand EVs like 2017 Ioniq / Leaf, you will not be burning through the range each day.

There will definitely be a few people who 100km of range wouldn't suit, as they do Dublin-Galway and back again on a Friday night / Saturday morning regularly, but that's < half the battery capacity of my car, and sub quarter of most new batteries. There's a mindset shift involved, how many times in the past 2 years have you driven more than 100km in one day? Most people will have a handful of times. Cool, no problem, any electric car can handle that. What about 200km? Most people will have once or twice I would guess. This is still do-able by just about every electric car on the road since 2017. 300km and above? Some of the 2nd hand cars will require a 30min or 2 15min stops at fast chargers to handle this. Most of the newer cars can do this no problem. 400km? You have left the Island, please turn back.

The charging infrastructure that needs to improve is the proliferation of slow / cheap to install - on street chargers so that people without driveways can 'trickle charge' overnight.
              The charging infrastructure that is decent (but will need expansion) in Ireland is the motorway fast-chargers.

The latter should be a really really small % of the charging that you aim to do, pretty much just 'top ups' to get you to the next time you sit your car down on it's arse for 4+ hours, plug a cable into it and wander off absent mindedly with your car filling up with fuel at a nominal rate vs petrol or diesel equivalent.
              Last edited by Emmet; 07-09-21, 08:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                * Portable/ Granny charger ...
                Good post Emmet and very helpful for folk who are thinking about this for the first time. The unplanned factor and range anxiety are bits that people struggle with and it's not until you live with owning an electric car that you get over those in my view. I've had a few close shaves (missing a turn off and having to come off a motorway and get a quick splash and dash up against a deadline) and once or twice memorably forgetting to charge my car overnight.

But once you do those things you just become more relaxed. People run out of petrol, cars breakdown etc. and you just learn to live with it and adapt and having an electric car is no different.

The really big issue is the electricity infrastructure - both physical supply and the means to get it to your home. When 50% of the folks in my village are drawing 6 or more kWh in the evenings the local sub station is going to have a serious problem. That day is probably only 5-7 years away and the challenge is going to be much bigger then rolling out broadband.
                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

One thing I was wondering about - has there been much vandalisation of charging points or are they basically scumbag-proof?
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    One thing I was wondering about - has there been much vandalisation of charging points or are they basically scumbag-proof?
                    I saw a guy(In a van +trailer) reverse over the ones outside Microsoft in Sandyford a few years ago, and drive off. Gone by the time I got my phone out of my pocket, and I wasn't about to follow him. Completely destroyed them.

Comment

Home charge points are being robbed. The general charge points tend not to be vandalised but they definitely break

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                        Greatest tennis player to ever do it still on course for the calendar grand slam. Roger who?
                        Like a lot of people I suffer from nostalgia bias when thinking of sports rivalries eg McEnroe, Borg , Higgins , Davis , Coe, Ovett, Lauder , Hunt , etc but one thing cant be argued the Golden age of tennis is just passing us now. Nadal, Fed , Djokovic and perhaps Murray playing the greatest tennis matches ever seen in terms of quality time after time is something we wont appreciate enough until it's gone. Enjoy the remaining games.

Comment

Have one of those q4 E-Tron's pencilled in for next car purchase in 3/4 yrs time. By that stage hopefully the infrastructure will be reasonably developed. Last few years I have been thinking through my journeys, and a home charger, a work charger, and a stop at applegreen/barack obama plaza on the longest trips I have done would see me right. Could have to be a bit judicious in choosing accommodation that have chargers somewhere close by or option for the portable charger.
                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Like a lot of people I suffer from nostalgia bias when thinking of sports rivalries eg McEnroe, Borg , Higgins , Davis , Coe, Ovett, Lauder , Hunt , etc but one thing cant be argued the Golden age of tennis is just passing us now. Nadal, Fed , Djokovic and perhaps Murray playing the greatest tennis matches ever seen in terms of quality time after time is something we wont appreciate enough until it's gone. Enjoy the remaining games.
                            You might be about 8 years late with this post! Djokovic has been the last one standing of those in any meaningful way for a couple of years.

Comment

E-ow4pqX0AQf4dD?format=jpg&amp;name=900x900.jpg

F
                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

He was fantastic in just about everything I've seen him in
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                  Any ideas for a gift for somebody retiring (early). They don't drink, live in rural Galway, and wouldn't be the type to get use of a voucher for a hotel/restaurant.
                                  A nice framed Irish Times photograph (I got the 'murmuring of starlings' pic for somebody as a gift and it has pride of place in their abode). Failing that an 'Only Fans' sub ))

Comment

Omg the fucking weight of this meat order
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                        better get eating

Comment

Any ideas for a gift for somebody retiring (early). They don't drink, live in rural Galway, and wouldn't be the type to get use of a voucher for a hotel/restaurant.
                                          Attending a retirement planning council training course is a really great one if you think they'd go. Link below.

Alternatively a night course in something they have an interest in but not really developed their skills like photography, woodworking or an art class would be cool. Personally I'd love to get a decent telescope with motorised tracking etc. and go down that rabbit hole...be a great one in rural Galway I'd say....

If they are into hiking it would be great to book something and spend a few days together doing it. Especially in Autumn/Spring when things are a bit quieter but beautiful.

Comment

It seems WhatsApp have loads of ability to moderate content. I'm just glad I'm not the type of petty insecure person to recall the fervent messages of the less technically gifted on here who proudly proclaimed that only an idiot would think WhatsApp could countenance moderating content. It seems I'm the type of upstanding person who can just acknowledge the story and pass on the information without snide remarks.
                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Attending a retirement planning council training course is a really great one if you think they'd go. Link below.

Alternatively a night course in something they have an interest in but not really developed their skills like photography, woodworking or an art class would be cool. Personally I'd love to get a decent telescope with motorised tracking etc. and go down that rabbit hole...be a great one in rural Galway I'd say....

If they are into hiking it would be great to book something and spend a few days together doing it. Especially in Autumn/Spring when things are a bit quieter but beautiful.
                                              They are some great ideas! Mushroom hunting fits with the time of year also and combines a mixture of activity, novelty, and learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                It seems WhatsApp have loads of ability to moderate content. I'm just glad I'm not the type of petty insecure person to recall the fervent messages of the less technically gifted on here who proudly proclaimed that only an idiot would think WhatsApp could countenance moderating content. It seems I'm the type of upstanding person who can just acknowledge the story and pass on the information without snide remarks.
                                                Instead, WhatsApp reviewers gain access to private content when users hit the “report” button on the app, identifying a message as allegedly violating the platform’s terms of service. This forwards five messages — the allegedly offending one along with the four previous ones in the exchange, including any images or videos — to WhatsApp in unscrambled form, according to former WhatsApp engineers and moderators.
                                                I don't think this counts like you think it does.

Comment

better get eating
                                                  Need cheese recommendations.
                                                  And recipes.
                                                  And storage advice.
                                                  And cutting advice.
                                                  ​​​​

Have literally bitten off more than I can chew with this order.
                                                  ​​​​​.
                                                  ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

He's only failed the driving test twice, don't know if he falls into terrible category just yet.
                                                    In case it’s not obvious, that wasn’t directed at Hitch.
                                                    It was the many drivers who haven’t a clue what they are doing on the road. The type that owns if approaching a roundabout.

Comment

If anything - the article utterly vindicates those less technically gifted.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                        Charging infra has grown a bit but it's unreliable and not well thought out. Often terrible locations in cities/towns and you still have to pay on street parking costs in Dublin which really adds to the cost.
                                                        That’s the kind of stuff I was imagine.
                                                        If the idea is to encourage EV use, you’d expect free parking for EVs in EV only spaces would be the obvious move.
                                                        Train stations/park and ride feels like the complete wrong location. It should be shopping centres, or places with high turnover. Staff car parks.

I'd imagine Hitch has no home charging at the moment until he moves into his new gaff.
                                                        Not familiar with the leaf’s options. But agree there’s no point spending on something that can’t come with you.

Comment

man up
                                                          This'll be me soon, and it'll be your fault.

Comment

man up
                                                            This^^. Sounds like you can't handle your meat.

My advice would be to be working on about three different ones simultaneously - a charcuterie plate needs a bit of variety.

Omelettes, pizzas would be my main non-raw form consumption. The salaminis ('Happy') would probably go nicely in lots of pasta dishes.

Comment

Emmet any issue with standard ESB connection and/or switchboard no being cut out for ~7kW charging.
                                                              or is it simply a case of upgrading to a 32A circuit.

I’m just thinking if cases were people tried to install a second electric shower and board isn’t cut out.

Comment

Emmet any issue with standard ESB connection and/or switchboard no being cut out for ~7kW charging.

I’m just thinking if cases were people tried to install a second electric shower and board isn’t cut out.
                                                                This reminds me of a holiday in Portugal 3 years ago. The apartment was a dinky little one, recently refurbished and in good nick. Just that you couldn't put on two hobs on the cooker simultaneously as the poor little thing would overload the board . Thankfully the shower worked at least.

Comment

if you have electric shower/ heat pump you need to get a load-balancing EVSE - which does add cost. I'm stillwaiting to actually buy my own in fairness! House will have heat pump and electric showers so will need to get a 'smarter' model than 'just the basic'. Will feed back here with costs etc when I get them.

There's probably only a few houses in the country rated @ 32A, and I imagine it's pretty pricey to get upgraded to it (though would give you 11kW if you wanted to get it!),

Comment

I literally talked about the report function at the time as a way of seeing content. Italicised-literally!

Comment

That’s the kind of stuff I was imagine.
                                                                      If the idea is to encourage EV use, you’d expect free parking for EVs in EV only spaces would be the obvious move.
                                                                      Train stations/park and ride feels like the complete wrong location. It should be shopping centres, or places with high turnover. Staff car parks.

Not familiar with the leaf’s options. But agree there’s no point spending on something that can’t come with you.
                                                                      Yeah. There's loads of ESB super-charger points around, so will just drive to one of them and wait 30 minutes while browsing IPB and commenting about how great it is to have a bit of free time to just think with no distractions. Might get a beret for those thinking times.

Edit: and bring some salami

Comment

if you have electric shower/ heat pump you need to get a load-balancing EVSE - which does add cost. I'm stillwaiting to actually buy my own in fairness! House will have heat pump and electric showers so will need to get a 'smarter' model than 'just the basic'. Will feed back here with costs etc when I get them.

There's probably only a few houses in the country rated @ 32A, and I imagine it's pretty pricey to get upgraded to it (though would give you 11kW if you wanted to get it!),
                                                                        I just have the timers for the EV and PHEV set differently. EV charges from the start of the night meter (23.00 or 24.00 depending on the season) and the PHEV kicks in to be fully charged by 7.00am on the granny cable so generally that starts around 4.00am when the EV is just rebalancing if it's drawing any load at all.

We only have one electric shower upstairs that doesn't generally get used. Automower charges up around 2.00am-3.30am and we don't bother with putting on washes or drying at night but might stick on a load at 7.00 in the morning.

All in all a fair bit of electricity usage and we'll probably add a heat pump in 2021, and some PV cells and a battery over the next few years..so the whole system will need a full review then!!

I just think the whole thing is going to be mad when every household is drawing a similar load. I'll be installing a wind turbine to go with my solar and a backup refurbished leaf battery in the shed to try and keep the show on the road....

Comment

Yeah. There's loads of ESB super-charger points around, so will just drive to one of them and wait 30 minutes while browsing IPB and commenting about how great it is to have a bit of free time to just think with no distractions. Might get a beret for those thinking times.

Edit: and bring some salami
                                                                          Download the various apps so you know when they are available...I had no charge point for the first week of EV ownership so was stopping off in Supervalu in Lucan at 6.00am every morning.

Just myself and another guy greeting each other, but it was more reliable availability wise then trying to charge up at 16.30 in the afternoon when all the shoppers were topping up...Now that they are charging for fast charge it probably won't be so bad.

Comment

Are you thinking of kVA rather than A?
                                                                            Standard ESB connection is good for c.60A.
                                                                            Electric shower draws 36-40A depending on power.
                                                                            So two showers exceeds supply (unless one overrides the other). There is an upgrade option. Used to be about €1k for 25% extra.

I assumed a 6.6-7kw charger would be drawing close to 30A and need to be treat like a second shower. Load balancing sounds like a more sophisticated solution than override.

Comment

Spent a weekend here in Spiddal Rise | The Float Experience | Galway (risefloats.ie)
                                                                              It was quite the experience, can still tap into the tranquil feeling if I sit in a certain position
                                                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Huh, Avant approved our mortgage on 3-Aug but the broker forgot to tell us. Was wondering why it was taking so long.

Never discount sheer incompetence.

Comment

Another broker to avoid :P

Comment

We're 45 minutes deep into a French schooling institution - the teacher explaining to parents their teaching approach for the year. I once spent 3 hours in an evening seated at my kids tiny baby sit while his teacher went through 60+ powerpoint slides on her planned teaching for the year. My kid was three years old at the time

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                      Another broker to avoid :P
                                                                                      In fairness they answered every query at warp speed, except for this one minor detail of not confirming that the approval was indeed complete.

Comment

Need cheese recommendations.
                                                                                        And recipes.
                                                                                        And storage advice.
                                                                                        And cutting advice.
                                                                                        ​​​​

Have literally bitten off more than I can chew with this order.
                                                                                        ​​​​​.
                                                                                        ​​​​
                                                                                        My choice of cheese can vary from time to time but I do like all of the below - Would normally have 4 on any cheese board

Manchego (I prefer the mature option of 12 plus months)
                                                                                        Hegarty's cheddar
                                                                                        Gubbeen
                                                                                        Durrus
                                                                                        Pouligny Saint Pierre
                                                                                        Blue
                                                                                        Brie
                                                                                        Camembert
                                                                                        Gouda

Plus

Portion of quince paste
                                                                                        Onion Marmalade or a chutney

And

Miller's Damsel Charcoal Wafer crackers

Comment

Nice course Horatio. Got roasted out of it. Played poor but I'm no man for the heat . I know the trees more than the fairway. Lost 3 balls . Some fking heat .

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                            My choice of cheese can vary from time to time but I do like all of the below - Would normally have 4 on any cheese board

Hegarty's cheddar
                                                                                            Gubbeen
                                                                                            Durrus
                                                                                            Pouligny Saint Pierre
                                                                                            Blue
                                                                                            Brie
                                                                                            Camembert
                                                                                            Gouda

Plus

Portion of quince paste

And

I was of the understanding that cheese is considered racist these days, though maybe people are just pulling my leg.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Hegarty's cheddar
                                                                                              Gubbeen
                                                                                              Durrus
                                                                                              Pouligny Saint Pierre
                                                                                              Blue
                                                                                              Brie
                                                                                              Camembert
                                                                                              Gouda

Plus

Portion of quince paste

And

God knows, I appreciate pretentiousness but .

I found a new favourite Irish cheese lately: Mount Leinster.

Comment

God knows, I appreciate pretentiousness but .

I found a new favourite Irish cheese lately: Mount Leinster.
                                                                                                The crackers are a complete game changer. Had them for the 1st time about 9 months ago and have never looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I was of the understanding that cheese is considered racist these days, though maybe people are just pulling my leg.
                                                                                                  No black cheese allowed

Comment

What would be an approximate price per kilometre of petrol?

I think this link suggests 10 cent per km, but don't know if it's realistic.

Got 60km there for €2.83 at the fast charger. So about 5 cent a km.

That seems like a decent savings given that is, I guess, a lot more expensive than home midnight charging.

That's going to be a demolition job on the petrol car industry as you just surely couldn't justify a new petrol car when theres an electricity equivalent. Which presumably there increasingly is.

Comment

I see McGregor's pub, The Black Forge Inn, hasn't shaken off its previous reputation as a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

The hard men who dished out this unprovoked attack were treated with kid gloves by the judge too. Shocking. Not too surprised though, there was plenty of dodgy loudmouth dicks hanging around on Sunday.

I'll look on with interest to what happens on Friday when these Einstein's are back in court.

Plenty of former locals boycotting the place due to it being too expensive according to what I hear in the local turf accountant's office but I see a steady stream of dolled up outsiders gormlessly rolling into it every day.

Comment

I'm kind of backwards converting, but pretty sure I averaged about 8c per km on a 500cc bike in very average conditions. Much more if caning it, or badly stuck in town.

Comment

The jingoism was beyond nauseating from Hamilton and Kelly there.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                            The jingoism was beyond nauseating from Hamilton and Kelly there.
                                                                                                            Probably not golf

Comment

What would be an approximate price per kilometre of ?

That seems like a decent savings given that is, I guess, a lot more expensive than home midnight charging.

That's going to be a demolition job on the petrol car industry as you just surely couldn't justify a new petrol car when theres an electricity equivalent. Which presumably there increasingly is.

im sure the government aren’t going to start adding more and more charges on top of that especially when the impact of the power draw of socially and economically useless data centres start to bite and the spoofers promises about renewable energy turn out to fall well short of promises

im not too gloomy about it as there is a proven solution ready to rock- Nuclear power plant in Sandymount please
                                                                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

im sure the government aren’t going to start adding more and more charges on top of that especially when the impact of the power draw of socially and economically useless data centres start to bite and the spoofers promises about renewable energy turn out to fall well short of promises

im not too gloomy about it as there is a proven solution ready to rock- Nuclear power plant in Sandymount please
                                                                                                                Renewable is so completely the future, I don't think anyone has any serious doubt that most oil is going to end up stuck in the ground. The tech has just changed with oil left behind alongside peat. Solar is the global game changer.

Comment

Has anyone been listening to The Witness podcast?

Jesus it's riveting stuff. The guy tells his story so well.
                                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

omg

Comment

Another grim story breaking in the shticks. In very rural North Kerry this time again. Bodies of a woman, her son and husband found with a gun at the scene. Seems the husband killed both before doing himself. Wtf goes through peoples heads.

Comment

What would be an approximate price per kilometre of petrol?

Most efficient cars are approaching 4L/100lm. (Toyota hybrid is 4.2, Peugot 308 claims 4L petrol engine). If petrol is 1.50, then 100km is €6.00-6.50.
                                                                                                                        Emmet mentioned 17kWh for the Leaf's consumption. Would depend on the electricity rate, maybe 20c per kWh standard tarrif. So €3.40 per 100km. A night rate would get it below €2.00 I'd guess.

Renewable is so completely the future, I don't think anyone has any serious doubt that most oil is going to end up stuck in the ground. The tech has just changed with oil left behind alongside peat. Solar is the global game changer.
                                                                                                                        Solar is great for small scale residential supplementary power. But takes up a lot of space at a large scale. Nuclear really has had terrible PR.

Comment

I used to think John B Keanes the Field was a bit OTT exaggerated.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X