X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Into new employer or your own?

Been meaning to move mine from Irish Life and gave up a couple of times. Finally did the research yesterday. Davy (0.75% Annual, + 0.06 + €25 per trade) or Standard Life (0.65% for transfers and they offer Vanguard) seem to be the best two options. Probably saving 1-2%+ a year. Only snag with Standard Life is that you have to go through a broker. No idea how much that might cost. On their site they have a list 87 pages long of brokers , so I messaged a few for a quote.
    Going into an individual policy is such bad value. Double the fees for what is on offer in a similar corporate arrangement. Mastertrusts will be mainstream within the next few years which should give you some cheaper options but it’s very painful for an individual pension saver at present.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Current employer rather than 'new'. Looked at the performance (ILIM-old vs Zurich-current) and it was substantial. So I was burning money by leaving it in the old scheme.

Plus I like the convenience of having it all in the one scheme, much easier to do projections etc when not having to aggregate across different schemes.

If the performance gap had not been so stark, it would have made sense to leave it as then I could have staggered activation of the schemes as it suited future me. V would be the man for chapter and verse obv.

Interestingly your former employer didn’t really give a fuck about Zurich’s performance when reviewing things a few years ago. They didn’t even make the final stage….

What’s important to a sponsor and a member are often vastly different things.

It probably did help Irish life’s cause that they are a pretty big customer of your former employer as well!!

A good admin platform and an easy life for HR gets way more air time then a piddling thing like investment performance. Zurich don’t present very well to corporates either. Very much in the old school insurance company/broker mindset. They absolutely blew a recent tender I was running by spending the majority of time talking about investments when the key HR stakeholder wanted to hear about member comms and seamless management of the scheme. The investment performance numbers speak for themselves so show a few good charts showing how well you’ve done and move on.

The dynamic share to cash overlay that ILIM use on their equity exposure in their MAPS funds meant they lost a lot of ground from April until august in 2020 which has really hurt their performance numbers. If you strip that out they’ve done reasonably well. You can avoid that product by just selecting a portion in passive equities with no market factor overlay if your prefer.

I do like having separate pension savings if possible to facilitate phased retirement in my 50s and access to cash for paying off the mortgage and kids college fees etc. But it’s all manageable via an ARF anyway so no big deal.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
      RTE have been pretty shit.
      So much pointless talking about any kind of half tangible Irish connection to athletes while there are records being smashed and finals running.
      Discovery+ app is excellent. 5.99 for a month covering all the Olympics and then just cancel. No brainer.
      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Ah, can't be bothered. as am in a food coma after Jack's of Cromane in Kerry. What was glorious spot that is.
        Absolutely top class spot. I've recommended it here before and really couldnt recommend it highly enough. It's worth the spin out for anyone visiting Kerry no matter where you're staying in the county.

Comment

Also up for R2 of jab this week, 18days since R1.

Comment

Think I'm utterly snookered on the pension front being the sole employee of my Irish Office.

PRSA looks my only option - where I'll be handing money over annually to someone just for introducing me to the company that hold my money. sigh

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Going into an individual policy is such bad value. Double the fees for what is on offer in a similar corporate arrangement. Mastertrusts will be mainstream within the next few years which should give you some cheaper options but it’s very painful for an individual pension saver at present.
              my company plan is 0.65 with a poor selection of Aviva funds and the administrators are buffoons. Otherwise I'd fold my prsa into it.

0.65 + vanguard fees probably works out at a lower TER.
              Last edited by Denny Crane; 01-08-21, 16:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                Think I'm utterly snookered on the pension front being the sole employee of my Irish Office.

PRSA looks my only option - where I'll be handing money over annually to someone just for introducing me to the company that hold my money. sigh
                Your employer could sign up to Irish life’s master trust on the basis that you might be growing the Irish employee base over time. But they’d want to know ye were going to be 10+ employees over time I’d say.

Alternatively you could at least get an exec pension plan which is cheaper than a standard PRSA with 1% amc.

Comment

my company plan is 0.65 with a poor selection of Aviva funds but the administrators are buffoons. Otherwise I'd fold my prsa into.

0.65 + vanguard fees probably works out at a lower TER.
                  Aviva are horrific in ireland. I wouldn’t even include them on a long list of potential options for clients.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                    Denny Crane , where have you been?
                    Just had less spare time + the added friction of using the site.

Comment

It probably did help Irish life’s cause that they are a pretty big customer of your former employer as well!!
                      Pretty small in the overall scheme of things.

Yeah, I did make a few treks down to Abbey St to do product demos alright so that would make sense.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In town shopping* with my daughters. Mad busy, mask compliance pretty mixed.

Safe to say we probably have covid licked if this level of social activity has us at the current level only. Party on.

*i.e. I stand outside shops and they occasionally come out to ask for money

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                          Also up for R2 of jab this week, 18days since R1.
                          Looking at the stats coming out of Israel, you might be better off rescheduling it. Seems to be much longer protection with a bigger gap between doses. Probably we're all going to need boosters early next year.
                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Cant go wrong taking a hike to Ticknock Hitch. Just on the doorstep and ticks a few boxes .

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Looking at the stats coming out of Israel, you might be better off rescheduling it. Seems to be much longer protection with a bigger gap between doses. Probably we're all going to need boosters early next year.
                              I really dont see the big deal with a booster each year . We've been vaccinating ourselves for decades , throw another one on the fire and on to the next panthreat. Climate mayhem.
                              can one invest in Water ?

Comment

Pretty small in the overall scheme of things.

Yeah, I did make a few treks down to Abbey St to do product demos alright so that would make sense.
                                Every Irish financial services business is small on a global scale. But its the sort of thing that does matter for the purposes of winning biz in ireland.

Comment

Got an SMS for 2nd jab there, scheduled for Thursday. 1st one was 13th July. Hopefully not the guts of an hour and a half in Punchestown again.
                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Discovery+ app is excellent. 5.99 for a month covering all the Olympics and then just cancel. No brainer.

I've about 40 Olympic channels on the go
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Transitioning from bus to city centre Red Luas during a weekday afternoon is rather ridiculous atm. Bus has every other seat blocked off, then get onto Luas and when it reaches Abbey Street it turns into a Mumbai train with no distancing or blocked off sections. The discrepancy is quite jarring.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                        Transitioning from bus to city centre Red Luas during a weekday afternoon is rather ridiculous atm. Bus has every other seat blocked off, then get onto Luas and when it reaches Abbey Street it turns into a Mumbai train with no distancing or blocked off sections. The discrepancy is quite jarring.
                                        We are quickly getting to the point where those kind of discrepancies are no longer ignorable. I'm going to London tomorrow, it will be interesting to see how it feels post 'freedom day'
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I've about 40 Olympic channels on the go
                                          The official website is incredibly good at displaying live data from all the events.
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

We are quickly getting to the point where those kind of discrepancies are no longer ignorable. I'm going to London tomorrow, it will be interesting to see how it feels post 'freedom day'
                                            2 years ago - This could be the opening lines of a dystopian novel

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                              Whelp.

Looks like I’m going to Bandon.

Shot a 69 tonight.

First time under par, and under 70 to boot.

Absolutely delighted, the dream of scratch this summer is still alive!
                                              That is some shooting. Well done and keep doing whatever you're doing.

Last Sunday I shot a new PB of 84 gross for 43 points which also won my first comp! My previous best was 90 in a casual round and 93/34 points in a comp.

Was walking down the par 5 18th thinking to myself I'm going to break 90 if I card better than a 9 . I also knew I was on for a 39/40 pointer already and would likely get a category prize. All I wanted was a reasonable drive in play to give me a chance for a decent approach from the fairway. For my 3rd shot I had a 70-yard wedge and stuck it to inside 2 feet. Rolled in the birdie and I won on a card countback. For approximately 4 hours I actually felt like I was impersonating a decent golfer! The wedge shot was probably the most satisfying shot ever. The practice area has a green exactly this distance away so I practice it before every round - knockdown SW or 90% LW.

I had a 102 at the K club two days previously, 109 in Moate a few weeks back and got murdered 5&4 in matchplay on Monday to put it in context. I mostly shoot low to mid-90s so this was a massive breakthrough for me. HC has now dropped from 17.1 to 14.5 so I won't be challenging for too many comps for a while.
                                              Last edited by coillcam; 01-08-21, 20:50.

Comment

That walk from Malahide to Portmarnock is glorious. The weaker members of the troop (ahem) started to flag a bit towards the end because of the amount of rock balancing involved, but it was something special. We really do have the scenery, don't we?

Finished up in Hilan on Capel Street, their sizzling beef chilli is such a wonderful kick in the nuts. Read a review for there recently saying they would never eat there again after having a seat near the kitchen and witnessing some of the crap that goes on in the kitchen. But the joy of outdoors is we didn't have to see the sausage-making - keep doing what you are doing you health and safety abusing bastards.

Both the lunch (Malahide New Street) and dinner (Capel Street) were newly pedestrianised places and its such a nice feel. We were on Capel Street by 6pm, so got to witness the 30 minutes before car stopping and afterwards. The cars don't seem to be making all that much noise and yet once they stop you start to hear sounds of people laughing, shouting, begging. All the sounds that were there before but suppressed by the white noise of cars. Its such a great feel. I don't get how Malahide New Street was ever not pedestrianised. Its just this lovely collection of great restaurants that are made infinitely better by filling the streets with their seats and sights of their different foods. Kids running around and laughing.

We've really caught a glimpse of a potential future here. Hopefully we grab it. I'd imagine its more hassle for restaurants having to manage tables outdoors, and for pubs as well, but surely we're not going to let that fade away because it doesn't suit old styles of operating.
                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Laurel Hubbard the trans was a dude now competing as a woman is competing in the 87kgs weight lifting. Held the junior record as a 23 year old man 20 years ago in New Zealand 9/2 seems decent odds joke that biological males can compete with women and it’s endorsed by certain circles may as well try make a few quid from the circus.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                    Laurel Hubbard the trans was a dude now competing as a woman is competing in the 87kgs weight lifting. Held the junior record as a 23 year old man 20 years ago in New Zealand 9/2 seems decent odds joke that biological males can compete with women and it’s endorsed by certain circles may as well try make a few quid from the circus.

Comment

9/2 is terrible odds tbh. Hasn't a hope of getting anywhere close on ability. Outside chance of massive DQs I guess.
                                                      Top female lifters are bigger, stronger, and have more testosterone in their veins that Hubbard ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        That walk from Malahide to Portmarnock is glorious. The weaker members of the troop (ahem) started to flag a bit towards the end because of the amount of rock balancing involved, but it was something special. We really do have the scenery, don't we?

Finished up in Hilan on Capel Street, their sizzling beef chilli is such a wonderful kick in the nuts. Read a review for there recently saying they would never eat there again after having a seat near the kitchen and witnessing some of the crap that goes on in the kitchen. But the joy of outdoors is we didn't have to see the sausage-making - keep doing what you are doing you health and safety abusing bastards.

Both the lunch (Malahide New Street) and dinner (Capel Street) were newly pedestrianised places and its such a nice feel. We were on Capel Street by 6pm, so got to witness the 30 minutes before car stopping and afterwards. The cars don't seem to be making all that much noise and yet once they stop you start to hear sounds of people laughing, shouting, begging. All the sounds that were there before but suppressed by the white noise of cars. Its such a great feel. I don't get how Malahide New Street was ever not pedestrianised. Its just this lovely collection of great restaurants that are made infinitely better by filling the streets with their seats and sights of their different foods. Kids running around and laughing.

We've really caught a glimpse of a potential future here. Hopefully we grab it. I'd imagine its more hassle for restaurants having to manage tables outdoors, and for pubs as well, but surely we're not going to let that fade away because it doesn't suit old styles of operating.
                                                        Moving to Portmarnock was the best life decision I’ve made.
                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Took the kids to Clara Lara yesterday. Hadn’t been there in over 30 years. Great day out but you need decent weather and get there early as it’s crazy busy to get in and nab the picnic tables.
                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Saw 2 dogs riding yesterday. You dont normally see that as much these days . Durty dogs .

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

9/2 is terrible odds tbh. Hasn't a hope of getting anywhere close on ability. Outside chance of massive DQs I guess.
                                                              Top female lifters are bigger, stronger, and have more testosterone in their veins that Hubbard ever did.

Insane that semedo is still barred from racing because she won't take performance limiting drugs.
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

This is mind blowing...

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Insane that semedo is still barred from racing because she won't take performance limiting drugs.
                                                                  Do you mean Caster Semenya?

I don't think that's insane at all tbh.

Comment

I just don't get olympics, compared to say professional sports like football. What's the life plan after misallocating all of your youth to something that niche so people can sit on a couch and critique your performance.
                                                                    ​​​​​
                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I just don't get olympics, compared to say professional sports like football. What's the life plan after misallocating all of your youth to something that niche so people can sit on a couch and critique your performance.
                                                                      ​​​​​
                                                                      That is the life plan. And it's not niche to them.

Also, the drive/focus that any Olympian exhibits surely transfers very well into whatever post-competition life they choose.

Comment

Also, the drive/focus that any Olympian exhibits surely transfers very well into whatever post-competition life they choose.
                                                                        It is the very definition of niche.
                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I see NZ are getting knocked out in the women's hockey. A friend of mine is the attack coach (and an Irishman is the head coach, Graham Shaw, who got the Irish team to silver in the WC before being ousted by his own squad).

Possibly the man with the best timing in the world as he moved to NZ in early Feb 2020, just as we all started seeing news stories about this covid thing in China.

Comment

Don’t think testosterone levels should count the man has a cock and balls or had no matter what you do get them chopped tucked sellotaped to the side of your leg you are still a man. No matter what fad you want to be identified as. My first cousin played a few Games for the women’s Irish rugby team as a tight head prop. She wasent even 14 stone the average 16 year old boy playing the same position in school would be heavier and stronger.

Comment

We should hand back those niche rowing golds so.

And scoff at those silly rowers for wasting their lives when they should have been sitting in an office or posting tweets.

Comment

Don’t think testosterone levels should count the man has a cock and balls or had no matter what you do get them chopped tucked sellotaped to the side of your leg you are still a man. No matter what fad you want to be identified as.
                                                                                I think they should put you in charge of entries.

"Ok, no 1 - drop the shorts. Cock, balls. You're in lane 4"

"No 2. Cock, balls. Lane 6."

"No 3. Cock, sellotaped to leg, balls. Give him the gold."

Comment

It is the very definition of niche.
                                                                                  Hammer throw, discus, maybe.

Athletics?

Comment

With the accuracy of electronic timing, force detectors etc. They have to draw the line somewhere. And 0.1sec (which is standard) is far more fair than 0.0sec.

Say the line was 0.000sec and in one race, a guy is bang on 0.000 and is DQ’d for not waiting for the gun.
                                                                                    next race a guy is 0.001 and that’s considered a clean start. Pretty unfair considering they nose made the same conscious decision to start before the gun.

It’s not supposed to be about trying to angleshoot the starting gun. Your supposed to hear it and go.
                                                                                    And it’s a bit shitty that one false start is a DQ. It’s unfortunately necessary, as AJ described, allowing 1 false start each was basically a free crack at shaving .1-.2 off your time.
                                                                                    I don't know. Like, can they definitively say that someone who started at 0.099 seconds consciously started before the gun and someone who started at 0.101 didn't? Maybe they can but i'd imagine that reaction times can potentially vary alot between competitors. Reaction times probably get better as time goes on also. World records are constantly improving in disciplines due to better training, nutrition etc etc so it stands to reason reaction times are also.

I guess that while there is no perfect way of doing it, it's getting the best way. Maybe they should just scrap the reaction times totally and if you start within .0001 seconds of the bell, fair play to you; but if you false start it's an instant DQ? May be a terrible idea, i know very little about it.

Comment

I would 100% devote my life to take part in the Olympics if it were possible at any stage in my life .

Later that year.
                                                                                      This guitar wanker is ruining our party , I cant hear myself talking shite with that noise in the kitchen.

Leave him alone he was in the Olympics.

Wha? Hey do you know moon shadow ?

Comment

What's the life plan after misallocating all of your youth to something that niche so people can sit on a couch and critique your performance.
                                                                                        ​​​​​
                                                                                        Surprised you think professional sports are beyond the critique of armchair analysts. Definitely not the case in any sport tbh.

Probably have above above average dedication. But a significantly number end up having to having to retrain and basically start a career when they retire. Some end up in positions coaching or with the NGO. But many going back to school - like Michelle Smith DeBruin.

Most of these guys are doing it for the love of sport not any great reward. It probably ends up costing some of them just to keep going into the sport.

Comment

We should hand back those niche rowing golds so.

And scoff at those silly rowers for wasting their lives when they should have been sitting in an office or posting tweets.

​​Not knocking them that all. Niche is not a dirty word.

It is niche however you look at it. Olympians by their nature are niche otherwise they wouldn't be Olympians.
                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

The commitment needed to become an Olympian even a very average one is insane. I was a decent swimmer till about 12 was long lean big hands big feet all the natural ingredients. The thoughts of doing a couple of hours training before school a few times a week was enough to make me quit the swimming club. The kids are nearly professionals from a young age need family support and a huge will to succeed and win. Guy in my school Des Ryan used run the 400m. Every break he would be basically sprinting laps it looked boring and lonely he represented Ireland but was never going to beat or get near Michael Johnson. He was not naturally very academic but hard work he recently left a job as Arsenals head of sports medicine and athletic development to join Setanta college to become a director of coaching and performance. I am sure his drive as an athlete is what drove him in his career.

Comment

​​​​​
                                                                                              Watched an RTE interview with Kenny Egan recently and how his life disintegrated after his Olympic success.
                                                                                              Partied hard and spiralled downwards into alcoholism.
                                                                                              He had no plan afterwards and there was none to help him on that phase of his life. In good shape now thankfully having pulled himself out of a very dark place. Testament to his fighting spirit and resolve that he was able to overcome it.

It must be very difficult for them to train so hard make so many sacrifices and depending on age, body condition thats it.
                                                                                              Its suddenly over and the body starts to degrade.
                                                                                              No more glory or limelight.

Obviously there are many with successful careers, books, endorsements, coaching, commentating etc but I would imagine there are a significant percentage struggle with just not being able to compete anymore and they are forced to leave that zone they have been in for x number of years

There probably should be coaches for life afterwards.
                                                                                              Maybe they do have psychologists on Olympic teams that help with that transition but considering what some countries put their athletes through (treatment of some gymnasts basically child abuse) I doubt it's much of a priority.

Comment

Olympians - do things none of us could even dream of doing.

Us - do things pretty much anyone could do.

That is the essence of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Athletics?
                                                                                                  Yep.

Olympics are all about finding out who the best in the world in a given event. Only a few can realistically claim that, ergo it is niche.

Comment

3 failed attempts for Hubbard in the snatch.
                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                      I would 100% devote my life to take part in the Olympics if it were possible at any stage in my life .

Later that year.
                                                                                                      This guitar wanker is ruining our party , I cant hear myself talking shite with that noise in the kitchen.

Leave him alone he was in the Olympics.

Wha? Hey do you know moon shadow ?
                                                                                                      I remember marking an Olympic gold medallist (Jimmy Kirkwood) in a match once upon a time. About 5 years after Seoul so he was still very good indeed.

There was definitely an aura about him, although a very nice guy so not arrogance, more like confidence. He could just execute the skills at a level nobody else could even dream of.

Comment

The three Irish Olympians I know were all "supported" by their families. Needing a career was never an issue.

Comment

I remember marking an Olympic gold medallist (Jimmy Kirkwood) in a match once upon a time. About 5 years after Seoul so he was still very good indeed.

There was definitely an aura about him, although a very nice guy so not arrogance, more like confidence. He could just execute the skills at a level nobody else could even dream of.
                                                                                                          Hockey went shit after the St Trinians died .

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Athletics?
                                                                                                            those are both part of athletics (also known as track and field). i'm assuming you mean "running"?

Comment

​​​​​
                                                                                                              You are looking at it from the pov of a comparatively rich person with a successful life plan. Giving that up to spend 50 hours a week of lonely tough training to be heat-fodder in the 5K or 14th in the kayaking isn't an attractive proposition.
                                                                                                              But if your alternate lifepath was at the Tesco checkout, the Eircom call-centre or the warehouse loading bay then it might look different - a €30K grant to keep playing your sport, and multiple paid trips abroad to see parts of the world you'd likely never otherwise get to. And the chance that you might eventually get the big win (presumably when they start out they all believe they'll be the winner). It's a no-brainer for a lot of athletes, even more so in poorer parts of the world.

Having said that there is doubtless some who had a more difficult decision - if a lucrative career in law or finance or something like awaited them then it's a tough call. Go the sports route and you could end up in your thirties with no victories or money to your name and have to 'start over'. Or take the career and be that boring middle-aged businessman who tells us all how he was a 14:00 5Ker or Leinster champion swimmer in his youth and wonders whimsically whether he should have stuck with it.

Comment

The three Irish Olympians I know were all "supported" by their families. Needing a career was never an issue.
                                                                                                                I think nowadays you will get funding from Sport Ireland if you're full time. Nothing major but allows you to dedicate yourself to competition.

I imagine by definition if you're in equestrian, then you're self-funding. Maybe other traditionally elitist sports like sailing, fencing too.

Comment

Ha, RTE got more than they bargained for when they landed an interview with one of the top US athletes.

"So Sydney, what do you put this year's great form down to?"

"God." (walks off)

Comment

Not related to AJ post but I really enjoyed this working class monologue about the telly box from the 70s . Very considered thought processing.

Comment

That's some rain to be jumping over hurdles in. The woman who fell in the last heat was carried forward about 5 metres by the stream.

Comment

Yep.

Olympics are all about finding out who the best in the world in a given event. Only a few can realistically claim that, ergo it is niche.
                                                                                                                        Obviously the best in the world are a niche group, although they can be discovered in many more ways than simply the Olympics. Hitch, which you agreed with, claimed being an Olympian is a niche pursuit, which obviuolsly it isn't. Olympics may be a main goal and focus, but an athletes schedule will be packed for all the years they compete.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

those are both part of athletics (also known as track and field). i'm assuming you mean "running"?
                                                                                                                          Yeah, my bad.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X