This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Well I was blown away. What a pair of guys . I will review more later. I'm deffo going to see them Benny. The Documentary will only add to the experience. Collie polar opposite baby.
    Nice one. Maybe we'll get a pint on Thomas Street before the gig!

I believer Summer of Soul is very good too, and currently in cinemas. Record Collector called it the best concert movie ever. 5 stars in The Guardian.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      That's hilarious, ref totally bottled it there because he's scared of Rassie
      Kolbe should have been red and the forearm touchdown mind boggling.

Comment

I'm literally the only person in the cinema room for a movie starting at 7pm. Barring some late arrivals, it's all entirely mine. Slightly creepy.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

My default when stuck for something to do (or without the car for the day) with is to just hop a bus into town with the 'objective' to get an ice cream or a book more than enough to get the young fella excited. The bus ride is still a bit of a novelty for him so that's a good start.

We usually choose a different area to wander around, I'll tell him a bit of the history of the area and what not like what pubs I used to drink in or where I used to work.

Generally we'd get something to cheap to eat too, often a M&S sandwich and crisps to approximate a picnic which allows him to fight off the seagulls in Merrion Square or Stephens Green.

I usually manage to angle a record shop detour into the equation.

Great way to put down an afternoon for cheap.

Today we had our first indoor pizza in a year at Sano at the quiet end of Temple Bar which is fantastic primarily cos of it's value - excellent Neapolitan pizza for e8.

Was sorry to see Cafe Noto on Thomas street closed for good. and the building for rent. Was one of my favourites. Also surprised to see plenty of pubs still closed - Gogartys in Temple Bar, Batchelor Inn on the Quays, Morrisey's and Lowes on Cork Street.

Got off the bus outside McGregor's The Black Forge Inn - menu looks decent for a pub which is a shame as I'll never see a circumstance where I'll be able to justify spending a cent in the place.
          Substitute record shop for the Hugh Lane and that's pretty much what we did!

Saw some Black Forge food videos on TikTok and looks pretty great in a pub-grub category.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

mixed foursomes would be great
            I decided today that the boxing needed a relay, well really a tag match so you could jump in and out, and that it should be mixed sex.

"Anna has tagged in Mongo! Bertha is going to have to tag Goliath...wait a minute, she isn't doing it! G'wan Bertha ya trooper."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              Backed SA -13 today on the assumption they will be like rabid hyenas.

Probably don't get to see the game though as very slowly meandering our way back from southern parts with a social call in Abbeyleix. Oop de Bokke etc.
              Arooooooooooo! Caught the last 15.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Well I was blown away. What a pair of guys . I will review more later. I'm deffo going to see them Benny. The Documentary will only add to the experience. Collie polar opposite baby.
                I probably should have mentioned that it was the first time in a cinema that I ever heard one of the audience snore so loudly that he woke himself up. Kinda summed up my feelings about it.
                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  I'm literally the only person in the cinema room for a movie starting at 7pm. Barring some late arrivals, it's all entirely mine. Slightly creepy.
                  What film?
                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

What film?
                    You might catch him before it starts to tell him it's shit.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

You might catch him before it starts to tell him it's shit.
                      I didn't say the book was shit, am saying it is the praise that DP and Hitch gave it is OTT. Personally thought it was about 6/10.
                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I didn't say the book was shit, am saying it is the praise that DP and Hitch gave it is OTT. Personally thought it was about 6/10.
                        Meh.
                        I think 6/10 is pretty harsh rating. But sure to each their own.

In other words, castleknock Hotel will never see a penny of my money again.
                        Brothers wedding Friday, got there Thursday and just home a while. They seem to have gone out of their way to fuck up my stay.
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

What film?
                          Assume it's that truffle one.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Meh.

Brothers wedding Friday, got there Thursday and just home a while. They seem to have gone out of their way to fuck up my stay.
                            What happened?

Comment

Speaking of films, I caught Nomadland in the cinema yesterday. Stunning. Chloe Zhao is a remarkable filmmaker, will be very strange to see her doing the MU's Eternal film and then Universal's Dracula. I can't even begin to imagine how her filmmaking could translate to a superhero film.

Comment

Passed out the UK in vaccinations now too. Excellent news.

We'll be running out of people to jab shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                  Speaking of films, I caught Nomadland in the cinema yesterday. Stunning. Chloe Zhao is a remarkable filmmaker, will be very strange to see her doing the MU's Eternal film and then Universal's Dracula. I can't even begin to imagine how her filmmaking could translate to a superhero film.
                                  I watched that recently with friends, I though it was interesting but quite dull - this is more about me than the film though, I just don't enjoy this sort of film. My friends all loved it. I also watched Rider which I found a lot more compelling - it's in a similar vein but about a Rodeo rider who gets badly injured. If you enjoyed nomadland you would definitely enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

What about the model railway museum at Malahide Castle. Lots of other stuff to do there too, great playground.
                                    ty ty. noticed it in passing last November, when everything was shut. Have booked it for tomorrow now.

Comment

What film?
                                      Sadly The Suicide Squad. Simply because the closest cinema is Stillorgan and that's the type of thing they show. Wasn't horrible, wasn't great, was a wee bit boring mainly. Had a ridiculously good batterburger in Aprile afterwards though, so all is right and correct with the world.

Comment

On a side note: possibly not requiring a third post in a row, I had a glance in the windows of three pubs I passed on the way home, all a maximum of a handful of people. Maybe its the time of the year. But maybe we've simply changed our habits - much more likely to have meals and drinks with friends in the home rather than going out? Two years is probably enough time to change many habits.

Comment

Hitch did you delete your Twitter account or just taking an aul break?

On the cinema note, went to see space jam last night and wasn't as terrible as expected. First 30mins was just completely needless waffle but once Bugs bunny and the lads came into it, shit kicked off. Nostalgic as fuck and the perfect tonic to just zone out and forget the outside world for a while. Some good LOL lines too.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                            Hitch did you delete your Twitter account or just taking an aul break?

On the cinema note, went to see space jam last night and wasn't as terrible as expected. First 30mins was just completely needless waffle but once Bugs bunny and the lads came into it, shit kicked off. Nostalgic as fuck and the perfect tonic to just zone out and forget the outside world for a while. Some good LOL lines too.
                                            Lovely. That and the rocks new movie (jungle cruise) were the other choices.

Deactivated twitter, but will reactivate it before the 30 days for permanent account deletion are up. I find it quite exhausting and not mentally all that great a mindset to be always having opinions on things. A month off will be good. Find myself looking at things and wondering how I'd summarise my opinion of it, in a slightly controversial way, within the size constraints of a tweet. That can't be healthy. I'll just increase posting here to 30 posts a day. Pick a few fights with Raoul instead, that prick.

Comment

On a side note: possibly not requiring a third post in a row, I had a glance in the windows of three pubs I passed on the way home, all a maximum of a handful of people. Maybe its the time of the year. But maybe we've simply changed our habits - much more likely to have meals and drinks with friends in the home rather than going out? Two years is probably enough time to change many habits.
                                              I'd say that was more a reflection of those particular pubs and either the fact that the main clientele of those pubs may not be big boozers or are just your regular few pints every night or maybe that they are quiet as they have no outdoor area and can't accommodate the young unvaxed folk.

I was in two outdoor pubs today, one for the Lions game and one for birthday drinks for a mate later on and both were packed to capacity.

Comment

Meh.

We had a work Christmas party there a few years ago. I couldn't help but feel that it was a Celtic Tiger monstrosity and was all fur coat and no knickers.

There is quite a few of those hotels around the country, Seafield in Wexford is another that springs to mind off the top of my head.

Comment

The Spa in Seafield is World class.

We had our 2019 Xmas party in Castleknock, yeah, Celtic Tiger is a good description. Have to say though I really enjoyed it.

​​​​​​

Comment

Booked in for round two of the vaccine next week, 17 days after my first*. Flies in the face of the evidence that a longer duration seems to be better. But probably worth the trade off.

*possible last longest winner

Comment

I don't believe those cancellation stories are anyway as widespread as they are made out to be and I believe there are many good reasons to not want deposits. Why would we volunteer to become the only country in the world with a deposit-as-standard system. We have so little pro-customer protections, why would we volunteer to give up our rights for nothing in return.
                                                      We're paying higher prices and getting reduced availability due to no-shows. And the deposits are refundable when notice is given. I had to pay one for a group on the first day back and it didn't bother me at all. It was a small place so it was understandable that they were maximising their capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

We're paying higher prices and getting reduced availability due to no-shows. And the deposits are refundable when notice is given. I had to pay one for a group on the first day back and it didn't bother me at all. It was a small place so it was understandable that they were maximising their capacity.
                                                        I'd imagine there's a fairly standard economic model (of which I'm unaware) that shows that buyers accepting restrictions on their flexibility is a clear net loss on average for buyers even if some individual buyers benefit in the short term.

Similar to deposits on houses, it'll obviously be abused eventually.

Comment

What are we getting in return? Nothing that we didn't already have. So we're giving up something on behalf of everybody for nothing we didn't already have. That's just gimpish behaviour - volunteering to be weaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Is this true though?

I would personally view people in relationships like this as weird eggs. Hippy types. Burning man, summer of love, hotwifing oddballs.

There is literally nothing wrong with it, but my perception of it is clearly skewed.

Can I blame the church?
                                                            Going off a limited sample size here but I think they are oddballs.

They didn't get a chance to follow the advice Mountbatten gave to Charles about sowing wild oats as much as possible. So they're trying to make up for it. Giving their partner the same rights is just a trade-off. So they spend an extraordinary amount of time reading/talking/thinking about the emotional turmoil and setting rules. It's all inherently unstable.

It does seem to be more and more common. A girl I know says she comes across it regularly on dating apps. Maybe it can work for an older stable relationship, but I think anyone that's looking for it from the outset is probably best avoided.

Comment

What are we getting in return? Nothing that we didn't already have. So we're giving up something on behalf of everybody for nothing we didn't already have. That's just gimpish behaviour - volunteering to be weaker.
                                                              We avoid price increases because restaurants are running below capacity. I don't think we lose much of anything. The only people losing flexibility are the people who overbook. And fuck them

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                Another bit of financial gardening complete - old pension transferred into new.

There were some perfectly valid reasons not to do this but it came down to returns and the old scheme was via Irish Life, who are consistently below benchmarks.
                                                                Into new employer or your own?

Been meaning to move mine from Irish Life and gave up a couple of times. Finally did the research yesterday. Davy (0.75% Annual, + 0.06 + €25 per trade) or Standard Life (0.65% for transfers and they offer Vanguard) seem to be the best two options. Probably saving 1-2%+ a year. Only snag with Standard Life is that you have to go through a broker. No idea how much that might cost. On their site they have a list 87 pages long of brokers , so I messaged a few for a quote.
                                                                Last edited by Denny Crane; 01-08-21, 10:00.

Comment

Booked in for round two of the vaccine next week, 17 days after my first*. Flies in the face of the evidence that a longer duration seems to be better. But probably worth the trade off.

I am also second jab next week.
                                                                  The plot thickens...

Edit, 19 days between jabs.
                                                                  Last edited by Micknail; 01-08-21, 10:11.
                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I spent the whole film waiting for her to get punched in the back of the head and get raped. Kinda took from the whole feelgood thing.
                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

It’s pretty common to leave card details when booking at high end, ie in demand, places. I think such a system is fine when places are limited. But should be no charge if you cancel with notice.

Only if it’s last minute or no show.

Comment

Denny Crane , where have you been?

Comment

Into new employer or your own?

Been meaning to move mine from Irish Life and gave up a couple of times. Finally did the research yesterday. Davy (0.75% Annual, + 0.06 + €25 per trade) or Standard Life (0.65% for transfers and they offer Vanguard) seem to be the best two options. Probably saving 1-2%+ a year. Only snag with Standard Life is that you have to go through a broker. No idea how much that might cost. On their site they have a list 87 pages long of brokers , so I messaged a few for a quote.
                                                                          Current employer rather than 'new'. Looked at the performance (ILIM-old vs Zurich-current) and it was substantial. So I was burning money by leaving it in the old scheme.

Plus I like the convenience of having it all in the one scheme, much easier to do projections etc when not having to aggregate across different schemes.

If the performance gap had not been so stark, it would have made sense to leave it as then I could have staggered activation of the schemes as it suited future me. V would be the man for chapter and verse obv.

Comment

Men's 100m final at 1:50pm. I always seem to catch it completely serendipitously, but yesterday I put some finals in my phone's calendar.

Comment

Fish Shack Malahide was a super strong bbv recommendation.

Comment

Jab number 2 on Tuesday. 20 days after the 1st. Missus has her covid cert already. Actually cannot wait to just book a restaurant and go for a meal again with her.

The whole thing about being able to drink indoors has been blown out of all proportion by the media and Lazare.

Comment

Immediate disqualification seems pretty harsh

Comment

All this cancellation and deposit talk reminds me!

If the bbv collective and their infinite network know any restaurants, barbers, chiros, physios or whatever that want their late cancellation problem solved and some pretty neat pricing analytics send em my way!

wwe.getbump.ca

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                      Immediate disqualification seems pretty harsh
                                                                                      It really does. The amount of hard work just up in smoke. Sick for him.

Comment

Super Sunday for Irish competitors went pretty badly
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Italians on top of the world though.

Comment

Super Sunday for Irish competitors went pretty badly
                                                                                            An appeal in the 400m hurdles may see Barr through.

Comment

Italians on top of the world though.
                                                                                              It depends on the disqualification of the Italian

Comment

The old system used to be that you got a yellow for your first false start, then a red for your next one.
                                                                                                Problem was that everyone saw the yellow as a freeroll giving you one shot at a quick start, so you sometimes ended up with 4 or 5 runners on a yellow and the race taking 6 attempts to get going.
                                                                                                Then for a while they changed it to one yellow for the first false start, then red cards even if the second false start was a different runner. Which wasn't really fair, so they ended up with this harsh system instead.

Comment

Was a great hours entertainment though, the Italian high jumper seems a really cool dude.
                                                                                                  And the Venezuelan triple jumper - genuinely looks like she could add another metre to that world record seeing as she made a bit of a mess of the second stage.

Comment

Just caught that GB girl on the BMX, holy shit it was a joy to watch.

Comment

RTE have been pretty shit.
                                                                                                      So much pointless talking about any kind of half tangible Irish connection to athletes while there are records being smashed and finals running.

Comment

How did you (and dobby) manage that? Would be super handy for the wife to get her vaccine before going away on Friday.

Comment

How did you (and dobby) manage that? Would be super handy for the wife to get her vaccine before going away on Friday.
                                                                                                          I just ignored Pokerhands opinion on the vaccine being fatal for me and signed up through the HSE portal at the first opportunity I could. Got a txt 2 days later with an appointment and was jabbed 4 days after signing up. Got another txt 2 days ago giving me an appointment for Tuesday morning.

I literally did nothing apart from stick my name down. Seems like a good system overall considering it's the HSE.

Comment

Class! Pokerhands came at the (Stephen) King and missed, now science.

Comment

Saw myself in a crowd shot from the 2000 Leinster final replay in the opening sequence on RTE. Doubt we'll be seeing anything like that performance today.

Never seen such a downbeat build up for a Leinster final, was jogging around Naas today and saw more Tricolour and Olympic flags out than Kildare flags and sickeningly far more Dub flags and Jersey's out and about. Its one thing for oul lads to be wearing them but it should be treated as child abuse to be putting them on kids who play in Kildare.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 01-08-21, 14:49.
                                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                The old system used to be that you got a yellow for your first false start, then a red for your next one.
                                                                                                                Problem was that everyone saw the yellow as a freeroll giving you one shot at a quick start, so you sometimes ended up with 4 or 5 runners on a yellow and the race taking 6 attempts to get going.
                                                                                                                Then for a while they changed it to one yellow for the first false start, then red cards even if the second false start was a different runner. Which wasn't really fair, so they ended up with this harsh system instead.
                                                                                                                And an even older system (Ancient Greece) the penalty was a whipping!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                  Was watching some event yesterday where anyone who started within 0.1 second of the start was deemed to have false started (this may be standard).

The following times are approximate from memory but some British athlete started within 0.092 seconds and therefore false started but was not disqualified.

On the next start another athlete false started at 0.097 seconds but WAS disqualified even though his reaction was worse than the aforementioned British athlete.

Commentators were at a loss as to why. Maybe there was a subsequent explanation.

In any case it seems to be incredibly harsh to disqualify anyone for starting after the bell has rung. The rationale i believe is that anyone can not react within 0.1 of a second and therefore someone who did, actually consciously (or un-consciously) decided to move before the bell......... or something like that

Comment

Weren't there two false starts in the semi and no one was carded for the first one.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Class! Pokerhands came at the (Stephen) King and missed, now science.
                                                                                                                      Ah, can't be bothered. as am in a food coma after Jack's of Cromane in Kerry. What was glorious spot that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                        Yup, which definitely increases the price
                                                                                                                        Straffan motors/Allen recovery are very good independent BMW servicing and repairs. Particularly for big jobs like replacing a timing chain.
                                                                                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Was watching some event yesterday where anyone who started within 0.1 second of the start was deemed to have false started (this may be standard).

The following times are approximate from memory but some British athlete started within 0.092 seconds and therefore false started but was not disqualified.

On the next start another athlete false started at 0.097 seconds but WAS disqualified even though his reaction was worse than the aforementioned British athlete.

Commentators were at a loss as to why. Maybe there was a subsequent explanation.

In any case it seems to be incredibly harsh to disqualify anyone for starting after the bell has rung. The rationale i believe is that anyone can not react within 0.1 of a second and therefore someone who did, actually consciously (or un-consciously) decided to move before the bell......... or something like that
                                                                                                                          With the accuracy of electronic timing, force detectors etc. They have to draw the line somewhere. And 0.1sec (which is standard) is far more fair than 0.0sec.

Say the line was 0.000sec and in one race, a guy is bang on 0.000 and is DQ’d for not waiting for the gun.
                                                                                                                          next race a guy is 0.001 and that’s considered a clean start. Pretty unfair considering they nose made the same conscious decision to start before the gun.

It’s not supposed to be about trying to angleshoot the starting gun. Your supposed to hear it and go.
                                                                                                                          And it’s a bit shitty that one false start is a DQ. It’s unfortunately necessary, as AJ described, allowing 1 false start each was basically a free crack at shaving .1-.2 off your time.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X