X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Interested to hear what you think!
    Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Must have been you talking about it. The opening to ' this town isnt big enough' is my fav . Infectious.
    Not sure what to say about that without ruining it for anyone. It joins the very short list of times when I left a cinema because I just couldn't be bothered wasting any more time on it. (previous ones were Hellbound: Hellraiser 2, and Breakfast on Pluto.) Really has lowered my opinion of everyone interviewed and involved in it (with the exception of Johnathon Ross).
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Not sure what to say about that without ruining it for anyone. It joins the very short list of times when I left a cinema because I just couldn't be bothered wasting any more time on it. (previous ones were Hellbound: Hellraiser 2, and Breakfast on Pluto.) Really has lowered my opinion of everyone interviewed and involved in it (with the exception of Johnathon Ross).
      Well I wasn't expecting that Hope they're better live!

Comment

Wouldn't want to put anyone off going to see it. Was really only going on fond childhood memories from the 1970's. Not a fan of modern music, and by that I mean the last 120 years, when I'm sober.

Comment

Caught the new Swedish TV series based on the hugely enjoyable Backstrom character form the Lief GW Persson books.

The Americans already made an dogs dinner of trying to bring him to TV with Rainn Wilson, this time its made in Sweden and they seemed to have learned from what went wrong with the US version, in this we see a much subtler Everet smoothed out for TV while retaining essential elements from the books. Here he at least starts out as an altogether more sympathetic character who we get to know more about the kind od bollix he is as the series progresses. The other cop characters are well drawn but them and the plot seem to the best of my memory to have been lifted in small parts from across the three books. That results in a bit of a paint by numbers crime plot being overlaid on top of a crime story we know from the books.
          Very enjoyable will be looking out for the next series even though its not as good as the books but then what is?
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Wouldn't want to put anyone off going to see it. Was really only going on fond childhood memories from the 1970's. Not a fan of modern music, and by that I mean the last 120 years, when I'm sober.
            And you bought my album? Masochist much?

Comment

And you bought my album? Masochist much?
              Well I am often drunk. That's when I can listen to the likes of the Beatles, and not be too offended by the out of tune instruments.

Comment

Of to the movie tomorrow. Will give feedback.. I love music documentaries so I'm intrigued about the story to date.

Collie that out of tune Beatles instrument ? Was it a Sitar by any chance

Comment

Of to the movie tomorrow. Will give feedback.. I love music documentaries so I'm intrigued about the story to date.

Collie that out of tune Beatles instrument ? Was it a Sitar by any chance
                  Meant the brass section in Sgt Pepper, though I suppose it might have been deliberate.

Comment

That's when I can listen to the likes of the Beatles, and not be too offended by the out of tune instruments.
                    Reeling from being categorised as 'the like of The Beatles'.

May never recover frankly. Finally, someone gets it.

Comment

Reeling from being categorised as 'the like of The Beatles'.

May never recover frankly. Finally, someone gets it.
                      When I first listened to it, I wanted to call it the album 'Metal Machine Music' could have been https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Machine_Music

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Watched the trailer, this is a level right?
                        For context, I gave Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Jane the Virgin a fair few seasons of watching before giving them up. So that's who I am as a person.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

When I first listened to it, I wanted to call it the album 'Metal Machine Music' could have been https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Machine_Music
                          Now Lou Reed. That's even better. <feint>

Comment

Saw them at primavera a few years ago, good fun

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                              The Card Counter

I love Oscar Isaac, I saw him recently in A Most Violent Year which is great.

Comment

I remember in The 80s I ran a 10k road race . I had delusions about myself sure tis just running and I'm super fit right. I started off at the front and the last 2k I was practically dying on my feet as every shape and size past me out. Lesson learned . I really wish I knew my times from back then. .
                                Anyone know how to access archives from then. My memory was best time between 34_36 . Which wasnt bad for a Joe soap who just entered from the Herald.but I'd love to see them confirmed.

I remember the folks were heading to tramore for the weekend. Back then. Sure I'll cycle it. Arrived later , went out for pints , cycled back next day. Feck what has happened to me.
                                Fair fucks. That’s a class 10km time, but I’m more impressed by the fuck I’ll cycle to Tramore attitude - knowing you’ve to cycle back after a feed of pints. About 6 hours? Maybe on roads 8 back then.

Comment

Watched a few of the more obscure events the last few days. I find the gymnastics incredibly impressive, certainly up there in terms of combined max strength and skill combo.
                                  But the inmate subjectivity of it just makes it not very casual viewer friendly. More spins, tidy landings etc are obvious. But at the pointy end, the events boiled subtle imprecations that only a judge perceives. Feels detached.

Contrast with timed events, it’s entirely objective and clear the event how an athlete is progressing. I watched the women’s canoeing yesterday. A gold medal run blowing everyone away is what the olympics should be about.

Comment

Had to outlay a wad of cash on car repairs this week. Just under 3.5K

What made it more painful was that I had most of that earmarked for 2020 En Primeur wine buying so had to seriously scale back on my purchases. Managed to pick up 5 dozen bottles by hopefully buying smart.

I know, full on first world problems mixed with absolute notions.
                                    Last edited by Lao Lao; 31-07-21, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Fair fucks. That’s a class 10km time, but I’m more impressed by the fuck I’ll cycle to Tramore attitude - knowing you’ve to cycle back after a feed of pints. About 6 hours? Maybe on roads 8 back then.
                                      The roads were fine and I did it on a Peugeot Ventroux touring bike . I actually took the coast route pre M50 at the start with a small back pack on with a radio turned on in it. I remember thinking in miles the whole trip then when I got to Waterford thinking . Its 10k more . Also fell off the bike at the traffic lights trying to stand up in the footstraps at the red lights for too long. In those days a cycle of the Wicklow gap was normal Sunday morning fare so not exactly much of a feat really.

One tipp guy I knew who didnt cycle decided to do the maracycle with me on short notice . (Subbed in) he did the whole thing and I only had to wait for him a couple of times. The remarkable thing was., he did it on an old war horse bike. Everyone was looking at him like WTF . A legend.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

What made it more painful was that I had most of that earmarked for 2020 En Primeur wine buying so had to seriously scale back on my purchases. Managed to pick up 5 dozens bottles by hopefully buying smart.

WTF that's expensive. Did they need sparr parts shipped in from China or wha?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                          Watched a few of the more obscure events the last few days. I find the gymnastics incredibly impressive, certainly up there in terms of combined max strength and skill combo.
                                          But the inmate subjectivity of it just makes it not very casual viewer friendly. More spins, tidy landings etc are obvious. But at the pointy end, the events boiled subtle imprecations that only a judge perceives. Feels detached.

Contrast with timed events, it’s entirely objective and clear the event how an athlete is progressing. I watched the women’s canoeing yesterday. A gold medal run blowing everyone away is what the olympics should be about.
                                          Probably not funny(poor girl) but I used to date a girl with the surname Ging . When in a romantic clinch I'd joke about the release and Gienger hold. Much like some here she HATED my corny joke repeated ad nauseam but I got a great kick out of it. We broke up due to sports actually( long story ) and not corny jokes as you might think. At least with my 2 young kids I have a captive audience for a couple more years
                                          everytime I hear of the Gienger hold I think of her.

Comment

WTF that's expensive. Did they need sparr parts shipped in from China or wha?
                                            Ha ha! I know, redonk prices. It needed a good few things done though. Car is at an awkward age (sounds like a teenager) where it's old enough to be outside any warranty but young enough that a few grand is still way cheaper than replacing it, especially when I'm still paying for this one.

Comment

Got a new work laptop this week, a Lenovo Thinkbook.

The charger is USB-C and I now can't understand why that hasn't always been the case.
                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Ha ha! I know, redonk prices. It needed a good few things done though. Car is at an awkward age (sounds like a teenager) where it's old enough to be outside any warranty but young enough that a few grand is still way cheaper than replacing it, especially when I'm still paying for this one.

I bought a Focus 03 2 years ago for €150
                                                Perfectly sound just needed a few bits done, another €150 and it passed the NCT.

Running perfectly, feels solid, good FE.
                                                Obviously nothing special but a nice clean car all the same.

The place I bought it from also do servicing.
                                                Been in with them 3 times to get things done/phenomenal value and great service
                                                €150:replace corroded fuel line where they needed to driop the tank to get at it and rear swaybar link replaced
                                                €30: misfiring spark plug, fixed while I waited.
                                                €25: headlamp bulb replaced and part of bulb housing fixed
                                                New nut and bolt
                                                Headlights alignment for NCT
                                                Tyre pressurised

Father and son business.
                                                Father knows the car and previous owner and had been servicing it for years.

Like getting maximum value from things.
                                                Most likely that car would have been scrapped if I hadnt taken it and spent a few quid to pass the NCT.

Still have my old DVD player!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                  Got a new work laptop this week, a Lenovo Thinkbook.

The charger is USB-C and I now can't understand why that hasn't always been the case.
                                                  Literally the only reason nowadays is so the computer company can make money selling you new chargers. Think it might be a new EU regulation that makes USB-C standard in order to reduce cable waste, or maybe thats just mooted rather than implemented. Apple being the fuckers that mainly try to stop standardisation, so they can charge €150 for a replacement cable.

Comment

Was thinking of casually popping down to Tayto Park. €140 for two adults, two kids. wtf. I could fix lao laos bike for that money. Surely that price is massively out of whack with what you get from the experience.

Comment

And the zoo has their *outdoor* play areas shut.

We seem to be drawing a blank on anything to do for the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        And the zoo has their *outdoor* play areas shut.

What about the model railway museum at Malahide Castle. Lots of other stuff to do there too, great playground.

Comment

Was thinking of casually popping down to Tayto Park. €140 for two adults, two kids. wtf. I could fix lao laos bike for that money. Surely that price is massively out of whack with what you get from the experience.
                                                          Seems fine to me - for that you get unlimited access to all the rides, and there will almost certainly be one thing that each kid want to go on multiple times.
                                                          Remember Funderland where you had to pay each time so you were strictly limited by your parents to one go on each thing, but the money was still being gone through at a frightening rate.
                                                          Probably should go early and get the maximum time for your money though, the people who amble up at 4pm are getting done.

Comment

Legoland Windsor (which I think is roughly the same size and type of attractions as TP) was a place I got dragged to a few times when nieces/nephews were that age. Its £53 if you rock up on the day (though a more comparable £29 if you buy in advance). Trick is to avoid being a further cash cow once you have paid - they were big into getting you to pay an extra £10 for a mug/tshirt with a picture of you on the rollercoaster yokes. Not sure if TP do the same upselling.

Comment

I remember the pricing being 'casual day out', it's now mega day out.

Was looking at Legoland prices last night as chance would have it as we are thinking of popping over to Denmark for the youngest's birthday at the end of September due to a fairly miserable attempt at a birthday last year. €120 a day, it seems to be. Seems a much larger experience though.

Comment

We went to Fort Lucan a few weeks ago and the kids had to put on hurling helmets in order to play mini golf. I shit you not. Insurance has killed the possibility of a functional Irish theme park.

I really don't get the fundamental reason why a kid hitting another kid with a golf club in mini golf has any liability for the theme park. But you see that type of decision throughout the park - everything shut down. No running on a hill as you trip. And that's somehow the responsibility of the park. And they need to hire someone to police that, as otherwise they would be liable for not actively telling kids to keep off a hill.

It all boils down to a shit experience dollar-for-dollar compared to other countries as so much of the cost base is injury prevention. So I'm not sure you'd be getting €140 of value for Tayto Park. And it's a fucktonne of money.

Comment

Something in the pasta !
                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Seems reasonably priced when you consider the price of individual rides - think they are about €4 nowadays? So basically if each kid goes on 9 rides you are getting "value" for money.

The €35 for adults might be considered a bit dear though - like especially if the adult doesn't want to partake in the rides. Could potentially be two different price points for adults?

But yeah, when you combine travel, food and drink etc, it's not an inexpensive day out.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                      Legoland Windsor (which I think is roughly the same size and type of attractions as TP) was a place I got dragged to a few times when nieces/nephews were that age. Its £53 if you rock up on the day (though a more comparable £29 if you buy in advance). Trick is to avoid being a further cash cow once you have paid - they were big into getting you to pay an extra £10 for a mug/tshirt with a picture of you on the rollercoaster yokes. Not sure if TP do the same upselling.
                                                                      Don't take public transport to get to legoland windsor though. You'll get there easily enough but may end up waiting for a few hours to get a bus to take you to the train station at the end of a long day. Appalling and shambolic service. And it's a pretty crap park anyway, only about 3 fun rides in the whole place.

Comment

We can put a helicopter on Mars, take pictures of the birth of the universe, develop vaccines for a novel virus in months but no one has managed to develop a better way of attaching numbers to Olympic athletes than sheets of A4 paper attached to high tech aerodynamic clothing by randomly placed safety pins

Comment

Would any live poker be up and running yet?

Comment

Would any live poker be up and running yet?
                                                                            Doubt the kids would be let in.

Comment

Fuck, one of those penalty corners was going to pay dividends eventually

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

I bought a Focus 03 2 years ago for €150
                                                                                Perfectly sound just needed a few bits done, another €150 and it passed the NCT.

Running perfectly, feels solid, good FE.
                                                                                Obviously nothing special but a nice clean car all the same.

The place I bought it from also do servicing.
                                                                                Been in with them 3 times to get things done/phenomenal value and great service
                                                                                €150:replace corroded fuel line where they needed to driop the tank to get at it and rear swaybar link replaced
                                                                                €30: misfiring spark plug, fixed while I waited.
                                                                                €25: headlamp bulb replaced and part of bulb housing fixed
                                                                                New nut and bolt
                                                                                Headlights alignment for NCT
                                                                                Tyre pressurised

Father and son business.
                                                                                Father knows the car and previous owner and had been servicing it for years.

Like getting maximum value from things.
                                                                                Most likely that car would have been scrapped if I hadnt taken it and spent a few quid to pass the NCT.

Still have my old DVD player!
                                                                                Yeah, I used to have a one man lad do all my car work and he was great but he's got so busy it's next to impossible to get hold of him, let along book him to do work so had to go with the dealership which definitely adds to the price. I'm not really a big car head but work requires a certain standard of car when out visiting customers. Has to be professional looking without looking to flash so they don't think we're charging them too much!

Comment

They used to do a yearly family ticket. Can't remember the exact price but think if you went two or three times a year, it paid for itself.

Comment

Yeah, I used to have a one man lad do all my car work and he was great but he's got so busy it's next to impossible to get hold of him, let along book him to do work so had to go with the dealership which definitely adds to the price. I'm not really a big car head but work requires a certain standard of car when out visiting customers. Has to be professional looking without looking to flash so they don't think we're charging them too much!
                                                                                    I just park around the corner!

If I had a few extra quid handy I would get a Citroen C6..beautiful car

Comment

What made it more painful was that I had most of that earmarked for 2020 En Primeur wine buying so had to seriously scale back on my purchases. Managed to pick up 5 dozen bottles by hopefully buying smart.

What make of car is it?
                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

What make of car is it?
                                                                                        BMW

Comment

Fuckity fuck fuck RTÉ.

I watched the mixed relay in the car park of the playground then drove home with it over the speakers. Intention was to pull in at 1:50 for the women's 100m.

Fucking hockey.

Had they not got the rights or something?

Comment

I've got a 2010 passat that was due for an NCT during the full lockdown last year, that was put off when they were closed and was eventually done last august.
                                                                                            I'm not well versed on the workings of the NCT but I know you have to do NCT every year after 10 years and I remember noticing that that the cert I got was for two years and not thinking much about it except that I 'd have to be getting the yearly from Aug '22 onwards. But I'd never thought about it again and was not surprised a few weeks ago when I got an email with a reminder that NCT was due and around the same time a letter came in the post the email was left unread as a reminder to book it when I get back in a few weeks and the letter was lying around unopened waiting to go the into bin except after spilling coffee on it the other day I noticed it was thicker than I'd expected and opened it. There was an NCT cert in it with an expiry of next month and a letter saying Oops we made a mistake last year and shouldn't have given you a two year cert here's your new cert.
                                                                                            If I had put the letter straight in the bin I'd probably not have remembered I have a cert till 08/22 and just turned up but now I'm inclined to just ignore them until then. Odd one there isn't really any upside for me in doing it.

Comment

Managed to snag a table in Mae, Grainne O'Keefe's new place for late August.

All bookings for Aug, Sept and Oct booked out in just over an hour which is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                Fuckity fuck fuck RTÉ.

I watched the mixed relay in the car park of the playground then drove home with it over the speakers. Intention was to pull in at 1:50 for the women's 100m.

Fucking hockey.

Had they not got the rights or something?
                                                                                                They switched from the hockey and showed it on TV

The TV rights are severely restricted in terms of the number of live events that can be shown for all the terrestrial broadcasters.

Comment

Unless you are putting a brand new engine in a <5 year old car that sounds like it would usually be the -ev option.

Comment

They switched from the hockey and showed it on TV

The TV rights are severely restricted in terms of the number of live events that can be shown for all the terrestrial broadcasters.
                                                                                                    Really??

They didn't on the player. Wouldn't mind, I got home about two minutes too late.

Comment

Backed SA -13 today on the assumption they will be like rabid hyenas.

Probably don't get to see the game though as very slowly meandering our way back from southern parts with a social call in Abbeyleix. Oop de Bokke etc.
                                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Unless you are putting a brand new engine in a
                                                                                                        2 months from being 5 years old. Needed new clutch, flywheel, brakes pads and disc plus one or two other small bits
                                                                                                        Last edited by Lao Lao; 31-07-21, 14:03.

Comment

Pity golf isn't a two player team event.
                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

2 months from being 5 years old. Needed new clutch, flywheel, brakes pads and disc plus one or two other small bits
                                                                                                            BMW garage?

Comment

BMW garage?
                                                                                                              Yup, which definitely increases the price

Comment

Got diesel down in Kerry last week, a few hours later a "clean diesel filter" code appeared, rang Renault, €160 to replace it, a quick google and youtube showed me how to remove it and drain the water, if there was any, 10 min job, fault came back, rang motor factor and official filter was €40, job done and saved 120.

June 20 it was in for a service, you need new wipers, its a 182 car so knew i didnt, ill sort them myself i says, serviced last month with same set of wipers and they were fine this time.

This time was rear discs and pads, €350...its getting a pain at this stage, a good independent is worth their weight in gold, I have to use a main dealer for the 5 year warranty, I know you can use an indie but it could get messy with a big warranty job.

I despise them as much as estate agents and old men in lycra.
                                                                                                                Last edited by oleras; 31-07-21, 15:01.
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                  Got diesel down in Kerry last week, a few hours later a "clean diesel filter" code appeared, rang Renault, €160 to replace it, a quick google and youtube showed me how to remove it and drain the water, if there was any, 10 min job, fault came back, rang motor factor and official filter was €40, job done and saved 120.

June 20 it was in for a service, you need new wipers, its a 182 car so knew i didnt, ill sort them myself i says, serviced last month with same set of wipers and they were fine this time.

This time was rear discs and pads, €350...its getting a pain at this stage, a good independent is worth their weight in gold, I have to use a main dealer for the 5 year warranty, I know you can use an indie but it could get messy with a big warranty job.

I despise them as much as estate agents and old men in lycra.
                                                                                                                  Good stuff. You can save a chunk doing small.jobs yourself not to mention the hours saved leaving the car in, collecting etc. Easy saying that when you have an old car like mine!

That headlamp bulb I had replaced myself (an absolute bitch to get at but got it done) but only noticed after that the housing for it was damaged so wasnt too confident about fixing that.

WD40 first fix for a lot of stuff too like buttons not working properly.

Comment

My default when stuck for something to do (or without the car for the day) with is to just hop a bus into town with the 'objective' to get an ice cream or a book more than enough to get the young fella excited. The bus ride is still a bit of a novelty for him so that's a good start.

We usually choose a different area to wander around, I'll tell him a bit of the history of the area and what not like what pubs I used to drink in or where I used to work.

Generally we'd get something to cheap to eat too, often a M&S sandwich and crisps to approximate a picnic which allows him to fight off the seagulls in Merrion Square or Stephens Green.

I usually manage to angle a record shop detour into the equation.

Great way to put down an afternoon for cheap.

Today we had our first indoor pizza in a year at Sano at the quiet end of Temple Bar which is fantastic primarily cos of it's value - excellent Neapolitan pizza for e8.

Was sorry to see Cafe Noto on Thomas street closed for good. and the building for rent. Was one of my favourites. Also surprised to see plenty of pubs still closed - Gogartys in Temple Bar, Batchelor Inn on the Quays, Morrisey's and Lowes on Cork Street.

Got off the bus outside McGregor's The Black Forge Inn - menu looks decent for a pub which is a shame as I'll never see a circumstance where I'll be able to justify spending a cent in the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                      Pity golf isn't a two player team event.
                                                                                                                      mixed foursomes would be great

Comment

Well I was blown away. What a pair of guys . I will review more later. I'm deffo going to see them Benny. The Documentary will only add to the experience. Collie polar opposite baby.

Comment

That's hilarious, ref totally bottled it there because he's scared of Rassie

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X