Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a PhD-era photo! Thought academia.edu shut down ages ago.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Do you think they'll keep all this outdoor dining stuff when covid is over? The local-ish place has converted their entire parking lot to an outdoor marquee and it's class, but I'd imagine all these places are viewing that as a temporary expense and can't wait to get back to not having to serve tables outdoors, and have everyone drive in for their six pints.

Was talking to someone about meeting up in a pub next week and he was saying we can go inside as we're both vaccinated, and I was thinking - why the fuck would anyone want to go inside in the summer? So seems there's a fairly trenchant mindset out there.
      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 16-07-21, 08:48.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
        Mellor should edit that post to remove identifying material imo. Bad form.
        Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

The photo is so old that no-one would recognise him

I do always find that to be an interesting form of vanity. People who put up photos of their much younger selves on company intranets, linked in etc. Not to generalise too much (OK, I will), it tends to be the people that age has not treated too well.

Then you meet them in person and wonder where the youthful glow has gone. And where the extra 6 stone came from.
        Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
        Updated now
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Yep. I was careful not to make the link when I posted one of his tweets the other day. Was going to say 'this guy made a good point' but figured somebody would assume I didn't know and out him.
          IPB Doxing Gate 2021 Update Above.
          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Do you think they'll keep all this outdoor dining stuff when covid is over? The local-ish place has converted their entire parking lot to an outdoor marquee and it's class, but I'd imagine all these places are viewing that as a temporary expense and can't wait to get back to not having to serve tables outdoors, and have everyone drive in for their six pints.

Was talking to someone about meeting up in a pub next week and he was saying we can go inside as we're both vaccinated, and I was thinking - why the fuck would anyone want to go inside in the summer? So seems there's a fairly trenchant mindset out there.
            I'm in complete agreement there.
            Like most things, people covet what they can't have/do.
            We all wanted more beer gardens, now we have them, we don't want to go inside.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Updated now
              Name in URL. Still funny though.
              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Name in URL. Still funny though.
                well fixed that too

Comment

I had similar - group of lads from school that still meet up once a month for a few beers. I suggested this Saturday to take advantage of the weather but the majority opinion was to wait two weeks so we can have a few pints indoors instead. Its just strange.

Comment

Somebody needs to develop tech that allows you to look at someone's eyes and for the other user to experience you looking at their eyes.

Always find that off putting. I look at the camera so that it appears I'm looking at their eyes, but that's also off putting.

Comment

I genuinely think that moustache looks very well on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                        That's a solution to a different problem. He's clearly well used to looking directly into camera. Pretty sure Lazare was wanting some way to look directly at a camera, while not appearing to look away from the screen.
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

That's a solution to a different problem. He's clearly well used to looking directly into camera. Pretty sure Lazare was wanting some way to look directly at a camera, while not appearing to look away from the screen.
                          More like being able to look into someone's eyes and it appearing that way for the other person.

In order to do it you've to look into the camera which feels unnatural for you. If you look into their eyes, it feels unnatural for them.
                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

If it's not currently a thing, maybe the combined efforts of the bbv can make it a thing, while making billins and billins

Comment

Although. I didn't watch the full vid Emmet posted yet, just in case it is in fact a thing.

Comment

Always thought that it was a huge missed opportunity when we allowed all the prime outdoor spaces to be allocated to smokers making them unpleasant spaces for the majority.
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Brag : 2nd Pfizer jab received last night

Beat : Woke up this morning in a heap, sweats, aches and absolutely exhausted, couldn't lift my head off the pillow.

Variance: 3 day weekend!

Comment

If it's not currently a thing, maybe the combined efforts of the bbv can make it a thing, while making billins and billins
                                    you'd get some mental uncanny valley stuff artifically positioning eyeline for users depending on where they appear onscreen.
                                    Though with deepfakes and neural network improvements, I'd imagine it's definitely doable.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Always thought that it was a huge missed opportunity when we allowed all the prime outdoor spaces to be allocated to smokers making them unpleasant spaces for the majority.
                                        Very True but we are migrating to it. Remember the smoking indoors so next step to push them into the snarling traffic .
                                        no offence JBrav

Comment

Mellor should edit that post to remove identifying material imo. Bad form.
                                          I didn't it was remotely a secret around here as to who Hitch was. Hitch on Twitter lols are practically a weekly subject.
                                          Apologies Hitch if there was any offense taken.

Yep. I was careful not to make the link when I posted one of his tweets the other day. Was going to say 'this guy made a good point' but figured somebody would assume I didn't know and out him.
                                          To be fair, that's a bit different. I wouldn't ever link somebody's profile on social media. Tweets, links, a name in plain text is all crawlable which could be found by a nosy bollox out there armed with google and a grudge.
                                          To find a screen shot from within, you have to be here already.

That's a PhD-era photo! Thought academia.edu shut down ages ago.
                                          To be honest, at first I though it wasn't even you tbh. Looked like a placeholder lifted from the American Eagle 2005 catalogue.
                                          Again sincere apologies screenshotting the real name was in bad taste.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                            This guy doing this and me not using a camera since covid started.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

This guy doing this and me not using a camera since covid started.
                                              It mostly reminded me of Macspower, and his cardboard box solution to playing online poker on a sunny day outdoors.

Comment

Screwdriver and torch as altar gifts for our dealy departed scumbags.

They were probably nice lads until they took the wrong road .

Comment

Sure you're saying this now when its scorchio out but don't know how practical it is for the other >6 months of the year. I would like to see some places like rooftop bars and bars & restaurants with ample outdoor space to offer a non smoking section though.
                                                  Always annoyed me (even when I was a smoker) when I went to Italy, France, Spain etc and people at the table next to you would smoke at their table in-between courses.
                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Dice75 did you lump on Dicebox yesterday?
                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

Sure you're saying this now when its scorchio out but don't know how practical it is for the other >6 months of the year. I would like to see some places like rooftop bars and bars & restaurants with ample outdoor space to offer a non smoking section though.
                                                      Always annoyed me (even when I was a smoker) when I went to Italy, France, Spain etc and people at the table next to you would smoke at their table in-between courses.
                                                      Smoking the least of your worries in France Pat!
                                                      Me sitting there savouring an al fresco lunch and an ice cold pression and this big fucker begging for food, head practically on my lap, his owners gazing in adoration at their little fur baby his razor sharp fangs inches from a major artery not to mention the swonnicles.

"Oh look at Jacques begging for food the little rascal"
                                                      "Oh look at him baring his teeth and growling, so cute"
                                                      "Oh my God! Quick, get the camera, hes ripping chunks out of that tourists leg, so adorable!"

like dogs

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                        Dice75 did you lump on Dicebox yesterday?
                                                        Assuming thats a horse ,no. Didnt see any racing all week really.

Comment

Still remember the sense of absolute culture shock when I went into a McDonalds in suburban Paris about 30 years ago and seeing an oul lad sitting at a table nursing a beer and feeding scraps to a mangy looking dog under the table.
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

1,100+ cases today

With the weather we have, that is only going to at least double over the next week.
                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Still remember the sense of absolute culture shock when I went into a McDonalds in suburban Paris about 30 years ago and seeing an oul lad sitting at a table nursing a beer and feeding scraps to a mangy looking dog under the table.
                                                              Was it any worse than ones first time witnessing a stranger casually knocking one out on the NY subway 33 years ago?

Comment

Some day. Didnt take advantage other than a nice lie down in Merrion Park.

its gas the way people ask for directions.
                                                                This well dressed gent hops out of a people carrier and asks would I know the way to the National Gallery. I laugh and reply that Im on my way there it's just at the end of this road.
                                                                "oh he says do you know where the govt buildings are"

"You can see them from here" I say pointing.
                                                                Like he couldn't entrust me with that weighty information at the start and thought he would work up to it. (I can just imagine the conversation he had before he set out ending with a testy "it's right beside the national gallery for fucks sake!, just ask someone")

Hope hes not consulting on anything related to infrastructure.

Anyway picked up a few arty books for my sisters 70th.
                                                                Fairly empty but nice and cool inside.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                  1,100+ cases today

With the weather we have, that is only going to at least double over the next week.
                                                                  It will be a spike of the unvaccinated. Some will suffer out of stupidity . The herd wont be exactly trimmed , but they'll get a kick up the arse. Conspiracy is a greater drug than boring old logic .

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                    Some day. Didnt take advantage other than a nice lie down in Merrion Park.

its gas the way people ask for directions.
                                                                    This well dressed gent hops out of a people carrier and asks would I know the way to the National Gallery. I laugh and reply that Im on my way there it's just at the end of this road.
                                                                    "oh he says do you know where the govt buildings are"

"You can see them from here" I say pointing.
                                                                    Like he couldn't entrust me with that weighty information at the start and thought he would work up to it. (I can just imagine the conversation he had before he set out ending with a testy "it's right beside the national gallery for fucks sake!, just ask someone")

Hope hes not consulting on anything related to infrastructure.

Sounds like heaven. The missus took the kids to Marley for the afternoon. The youngest arrives in the door , can we go to Corcaigh park. Another 2 hours running for him. No end to his energy. I finally wore him out . Tomorrow we go again.

Comment

You have a 70 year old sister?

Comment

Comment

Sounds like heaven. The missus took the kids to Marley for the afternoon. The youngest arrives in the door , can we go to Corcaigh park. Another 2 hours running for him. No end to his energy. I finally wore him out . Tomorrow we go again.
                                                                          Stick a Hurley in his hand! Sounds like a good midfielder

Comment

I know a girl in Drimnagh who was one of TWENTY kids. She has not actually met two of her Siblings. The father must have hopped on his missus in the maternity ward as soon as the new babby was snipped off.

Comment

I have a 72 year old sister too. Big family, 20 year gap.

Hope I make it to 93

Comment

I know a girl in Drimnagh who was one of TWENTY kids. She has not actually met two of her Siblings. The father must have hopped on his missus in the maternity ward as soon as the new babby was snipped off.
                                                                                I remember trying to work out how many cousins I had. Got to 157 deffos and gave up

Comment

Her maiden name wasnt Crowley was it?

Worked for a lad who owned a fountain making company many years ago who hadnt met 2 of his siblings also. Think they had 20

Comment

Her maiden name wasnt Crowley was it?

Worked for a lad who owned a fountain making company many years ago who hadnt met 2 of his siblings also. Think they had 20
                                                                                    only know the family name . Walsh .

Funny story of a family I heard had 15 kids all boys. I wonder what the odds were. Mellor be here later

Comment

Some of the coverage of the flooding seems pretty shitty. The bits on the BBC in Valkenburg reminded me of staying there for a week or so in 1986. If a film crew from 'anywhere' arrived on my doorstep after my house had been flooded to shit, they'd be lucky to be leaving in an ambulance.

Comment

More scumbag vids and audio.

Apart from the obvious scumbaggery . Its genuinely cringeworthy stuff. Wheel spins and shout outs to corpsio as they bully the traffic with their feral parade. Imagine their households . Poor kids think it's normal. Embarrassing.

Comment

Why are you watching the videos if they annoy you?

A Confederacy of Dunces comes to mind...

"He's out in the parlor right now looking at TV. Every afternoon as right as rain, he looks at that show where them kids dance."... "He don't like the show at all, but he won't miss it. You oughta hear what he says about them poor kids."..."Oh, my God!" Ignatius bellowed from the front of the house. "What an egregious insult to good taste."..."Do I believe the total perversion that I am witnessing?" Ignatius screamed from the parlor..."The children on that program should all be gassed," Ignatius said as he strode into the kitchen in his nightshirt.

Comment

Same reason you watch Spurs . Morbid curiosity. ?

Comment

Is it possible to enjoy being annoyed, to sometimes seek it?

I'm really annoyed by that same event, have also sought out the videos, knowing full well I would be furious.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                1,100+ cases today

​​​​​​What an individual digests is incredibly important. Goes for food crucially , obviously, but equally digital and media consumption. Age old doom sells caveat. Urge anyone close to me, on any side of the fence, there are many, to live the life they see in front of their eyes, invariably will be RADICALLY, INCOMPARABLY different than the one you will find yourself being exposed to otherwise if continually digesting 'news'. Almost all religions and spiritual teachings hint at the same. Triggering for lots to hear that; but utterly nothing to be gained from gorging on media as it presents in the current corroded environment.

Comment

Is it possible to enjoy being annoyed, to sometimes seek it?

I'm really annoyed by that same event, have also sought out the videos, knowing full well I would be furious.
                                                                                                  Righteous indignation has an enjoyable and indeed energising aspect to it, but despite there being some pleasure to it it is a negative mental state which is not helpful to cultivate. Mental equivalent of poisoning your body with shitty food.

Comment

Righteous indignation has an enjoyable and indeed energising aspect to it, but despite there being some pleasure to it it is a negative mental state which is not helpful to cultivate. Mental equivalent of poisoning your body with shitty food.
                                                                                                    Over thinking will do that to you there Hotspur . There is nothing energizing in watching the dregs of society running amok, however there is some in a solidarity of abhorrence. The more people are outraged the less tolerance of it. There is a comfort in that. I fail to see a mental poison and find it odd you think that way. However I haven't stacked my inner six pack with zen and enlightenment so I'll have to take your word for that. I will say the more I see of scum like that the more I'm determined to watch out for signs of it when my lads reach an impressionable age .
                                                                                                    Who knows maybe I'm already poisoned.

Or alternatively because woff.

Comment

Seeking out and consuming videos or any content of that nature, the only word for that is poisonous, as that anger, that lens of frustration and diguist, it goes somewhere. Subtle, incredibly so, but whatever it is that is soaked up in turn, it's very hard for you to not pass on. A kind of porn like corrosion of society. Really bad business to watch shit like that. I think you misunderstood what he meant by energising.

Comment

I misunderstood eh ? . I usually reply off the cuff so you get my initial thoughts and unedited reasoning. To debate such a point with 2 lads who have gone on an in depth inner journey is akin to pissing in the wind. My gut is you are overthinking this particular point in the extreme. There is a bigger picture , this is a pixel

Ok no more BBV dopamine tonight .I have zero discipline Back to my book . On 1st chapter since 9.

God bless .

Comment

Subtle, but great.

Comment

Slight possibility I might be posting drunk again!

Comment

This hit the nail on the head for me.

Mental equivalent of poisoning your body with shitty food.

Comment

Lots of juicy stuff here. Dont think I can contribute a coherent observation at this juncture. Think harder Homer

night all

Comment

Funny story of a family I heard had 15 kids all boys. I wonder what the odds were. Mellor be here later
                                                                                                                  We were a poker forum once. Surely we could all still work out something that trivial.

I think A Confederacy of Dunces is still my signature on boards for close to 15 years now. What a character.

Comment

Damn, that's proper heat out there. A day for shady activity (not the nefarious kind).
                                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Quick update on music and a few song recommendations: https://daraghthomas.medium.com/quic...e-f3329071ed54

Comment

This hit the nail on the head for me.

Mental equivalent of poisoning your body with shitty food.
                                                                                                                        For me, in a digital sense, that's Twitter. Just seems like pure poison and must have a corrosive impact. Avoid with extreme prejudice.

In a media sense, I do consume a lot of news but I do pick my sources carefully. I hope we never end up with a Fox equivalent here. I like Solk's point that our kids own the future and that we should be aware of what's going on the world.
                                                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

2 to the power of 15 give or take no?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X