Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I firmly believe religion is at the heart of it. It's the stick they use and the carrot for recruitment. I'm surprised ye think otherwise. Then again I can hit a running leg to bring down an assailant but the cops disagree .

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

1000s of children die around the world daily malnutrition accidents diseases malaria nearly all preventable do you lament for these?
      my missus will testify (remember when the internet thought that was a cool word) I do indeed lament the suffering of all innocents , if you bring up a specific atrocity I will lament alongside you. ( not counting my corny joke here now)

I am making a stab at vegetarianism as my lamenting is not just limited to humans.

I'm failing though but no red meat is at least achievable.
      Last edited by Solksjaer!; 17-05-21, 17:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
        It’s a common misconception. Same way that people on the outside looking out at the Troubles in the North also erroneously generalise it as “basically about religion”.
        What caused the poverty divide in the 60s ? The troops actually came to NI to put manners on the Loyalists .

My killybeg school teacher told this terrible joke ad nauseam . He roared the punchline and us 9 year olds cheered .

SPOILER
        Rev Paisley sees a young Catholic bouncing a ball singing. The proddys have all the houses , the proddys have all the houses. Paisley chided him. Why cant you sing something nicer you wee brat child.

Kid bounces the ball. Jesus was born in a stable , jesus was born in a stable. Paisley smiled and said there is hope for you devil child.

Kid sing cause the proddy have all the houses .

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'm not stripping him of anything.

The more coverage Solks has, the better it is for the rest of humanity.
          Can I go to America with you Ted ?

I'm looking for the hidden punchline here . Hmmm. im too tired now . I have to keep my off the cuff unresearched comments high level . ( or is it base level ) .

May God bless America .

Comment

The two part HBO documentary on Tiger Woods is very good.
            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

The bolded bit always annoys me like there is rolling green fields and dense forest for these lads to skulk around in.
              Not only is it one of the most densely populated places on earth, any place that isn't is monitored by fleets of drones.

Don’t think the area is really suitable for forests but hamas and whatever other foreign power are sponsoring encouraging them know will be huge casualty’s as long as it makes Israel bad not a hard thing to do they do not care. 34000 people per square mile densely populated bombs missiles made to destroy concrete installations tunnels are bound to have innocent victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

Do you think Hamas have morals courage and would not fire from a crowded area. They know there will be a huge and destructive backlash but fire them anyway.
                How in the name of fuck are you supposed to find a place to retaliate from when you have been herded into a concentration camp at a population density of 5000 people per sq Km more than four times the density of Dublin City.

FFS! In fairness to the Israeli's their propaganda money is well spent on the battalion of smarmy US university graduates sent out to bat on every TV and radio station on the planet.
                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 17-05-21, 18:41.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                  How in the name of fuck are you supposed to find a place to retaliate from when you have been herded into a concentration camp at a population density of 5000 people per sq Km more than four times the density of Dublin City.
                  1. Hamas are not 'retaliating'. They deliberately escalated this conflict, knowing full well the IDF would respond. Any timeline of the last two weeks confirms this. Hamas fired their first hundreds of rockets on 10-May, Israel then retaliated.

2. In terms of population density; Gaza's population was just over 1m in 2000 (when it was occupied by Israel). Now (when it is not occupied) it's 2m.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

1. Hamas are not 'retaliating'. They deliberately escalated this conflict, knowing full well the IDF would respond. Any timeline of the last two weeks confirms this. Hamas fired their first hundreds of rockets on 10-May, Israel then retaliated.

2. In terms of population density; Gaza's population was just over 1m in 2000 (when it was occupied by Israel). Now (when it is not occupied) it's 2m.

You are just being silly now

1. Closing access to Al Aqsa in the middle of Ramadan and starting to evict Palestinians from Jerusalem as a ploy to manipulate government formation was as any unbiased commentator would tell you the events that triggered this escalation.

365 km2 (141 sq mi)
                    2,047,969[2]
                    5,046/km2 (13,069.1/sq mi)

Comment

If the Palestinians had any decent leadership, they would see that the path of Iranian-sponsored fundamentalist jihad is getting them nowhere fast. Instead they should be adopting the lessons of another famous resistance leader from history: Ghandhi.

Think about it, if they went down the path of passive resistance against Israeli West Bank occupation\settlement their moral case would be so much stronger. The US might even be forced into re-examining its unconditional support under such an aproach and an international consensus similar to that which sank apartheid could be achieved.

Instead they've gone down the road of jihad, a choice which sets back their objectives by decades and one which benefits only the most sinister forces in our world today.

Jesus, even the PIRA had the brains to abandon force once they realised it was getting them nowhere.

Comment

You are just being silly now

1. Closing access to Al Aqsa in the middle of Ramadan and starting to evict Palestinians from Jerusalem as a ploy to manipulate government formation was as any unbiased commentator would tell you the events that triggered this escalation.
                        OK, so you see the Hamas rocket attacks (from Gaza, in response to a police action in the West Bank) as somehow justifiable?
                        Do you think Hamas didn't know exactly what would happen next? It's not like they haven't done this before.

For (2), the population of Gaza was 1.1 million in 2000. Now it's almost double that.

Comment

All those kids killing themselves. And poor little Israel forced to kill them. They're the real victim here.
                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Looking back over the history of the attempted use of force to destroy Israel is a lesson in failure. Every time the Arabs and the Israelis went to war, three things happened:
                            1. the Arabs lost on the battlefield, leading them to eventually realise they could never win - which led them eventually to peace treaties with Israel (see the 1978 Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty and the 1994 Israel-Jordan Peace Treaty).
                            2. the Israelis strengthened their regional dominance every time i.e. Arab military action was massively counter-productive
                            3. the plight of the Palestinians worsened
                            Since 1948, Palestine has been served appallingly by both its leaders and by its 'allies'. Where or indeed who is the Palestinian Ghandhi, Luther King or Mandela?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                              On to the potentially even more explosive topic - given the bookies are now open and those of us pretending to be sane for the purposes of a mortgage can now bet - who are we thinking is in with a decent shot for the Eurovision this week?

It turns out it is incredibly straightforward to make money this year, as Malta and Ukraine have it wrapped up between them.

Ukraine

Malta

Malta with the likeable lead singer could edge it with classic europop, but views of the Ukraine song are through the roof and its quite the creation.

Of the others:

Italy - too repetitive and not enough of newness
                              France - lovely song, reminds me a wee bit of the Portugese song from a few years ago, but think its too individual
                              Cyprus - they've just ripped off a Lady Gaga song
                              Iceland - seems like a sympathy thing as their song last year was so good, but this years is pretty bad
                              Bulgaria - huh?
                              Switzerland - didn't listen to it on the grounds that the Swiss are surely never winning anything

That's all songs up to 50/1 on betfair. Malta 7.8 ftw, Ukraine 38.

The big bet seems to be Ukraine at 1.81 to finish in the top three in the first semi-final. Surely there's no doubt about that. They are also, as this analysis says, 15th in the running - so playing second last tomorrow night. That will make the performance even more memorable when it comes to voting. To realise to what extent this is free money, have a listen to the fourth song in the running to be in the top three on Tuesday. Fill yer boots.

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 17-05-21, 19:49.

Comment

OK, so you see the Hamas rocket attacks (from Gaza, in response to a police action in the West Bank) as somehow justifiable?
                                Do you think Hamas didn't know exactly what would happen next? It's not like they haven't done this before.

For (2), the population of Gaza was 1.1 million in 2000. Now it's almost double that.
                                As a wise young Jew once wrote 'when you got nothing you got nothing to lose'

It is a complex equation for them, locked up in a concentration camp with only greatest pariah state in the world on their side. Fckd if I know what I'd do...I can accept that their situation is probably one where they can see no other hope.

Interesting that you seem to blame the victims for the quality of their leadership.

Comment

Who was team Blefuscu in the battle with Liliput ?

Dean Swift understood mankind . Fighting over a silly belief although breaking an egg at the small end is blasphemy.

Interesting .

Lilliput and Blefuscu represent England and France. The violent conflict between Big-Endians and Little-Endians represents the Protestant Reformation and the centuries of warfare between Catholics and Protestants.
                                  Last edited by Solksjaer!; 17-05-21, 20:01.

Comment

Interesting that you seem to blame the victims for the quality of their leadership.
                                    By any rational analysis, the Palestinian leadership, all the way back to Hitler's buddy, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, through Arafat, Abbas and now Hamas has been a tale of abysmal failure.

Of course they were mainly taking their lead from their Arab 'allies', who have used, abused and abandoned the Palestinians for the last 70 years.

It's interesting to look back to 1948 and see which Arab countries declared war on Israel, the day after it was established as a state, with UN approval.
                                    1. Jordan
                                    2. Iraq
                                    3. Egypt
                                    4. Syria
                                    and to think who is now backing Hamas. And why.

Comment

By any rational analysis, the Palestinian leadership, all the way back to Hitler's buddy, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, through Arafat, Abbas and now Hamas has been a tale of abysmal failure.

Of course they were mainly taking their lead from their Arab 'allies', who have used, abused and abandoned the Palestinians for the last 70 years.

It's interesting to look back to 1948 and see which Arab countries declared war on Israel, the day after it was established as a state, with UN approval.
                                      1. Jordan
                                      2. Iraq
                                      3. Egypt
                                      4. Syria
                                      and to think who is now backing Hamas. And why.
                                      oh that's awkward - you seem to have read strews post saying about victim-blaming and went to respond but then actually - awkwardly - forgot about the victims again. 58 dead children in a week, all killed by Israeli bombs, some of them bombed into pieces while they sat in UN school classrooms, they don't give a fuck about your history. And no part of that history obliged Israel to kill kids. The poor little things were probably day-dreaming about going home and playing with their dolls when the bombs hit.

Comment

It turns out it is incredibly straightforward to make money this year, as Malta and Ukraine have it wrapped up between them.

Ukraine

Malta

Malta with the likeable lead singer could edge it with classic europop, but views of the Ukraine song are through the roof and its quite the creation.

Of the others:

France - lovely song, reminds me a wee bit of the Portugese song from a few years ago, but think its too individual
                                        Iceland - seems like a sympathy thing as their song last year was so good, but this years is pretty bad
                                        Bulgaria - huh?
                                        Switzerland - didn't listen to it on the grounds that the Swiss are surely never winning anything

The big bet seems to be Ukraine at 1.81 to finish in the top three in the first semi-final. Surely there's no doubt about that. They are also, as this analysis says, 15th in the running - so playing second last tomorrow night. That will make the performance even more memorable when it comes to voting. To realise to what extent this is free money, have a listen to the fourth song in the running to be in the top three on Tuesday. Fill yer boots.

They're all fairly terrible really. Ukraine one may be slightly less terrible than the other two.

Comment

Thats some outfit from the greek miss.

Comment

oh that's awkward - you seem to have read strews post saying about victim-blaming and went to respond but then actually - awkwardly - forgot about the victims again. 58 dead children in a week, all killed by Israeli bombs, some of them bombed into pieces while they sat in UN school classrooms, they don't give a fuck about your history. And no part of that history obliged Israel to kill kids. The poor little things were probably day-dreaming about going home and playing with their dolls when the bombs hit.
                                            You are also forgetting that Hamas KNOW this will happen. I agree with you though but you seem hung up on one argument at the expense of the other bigger one . How does this stop ?
                                            what we think only really matters if we can offer a solution.
                                            In my view Israel needs to show concern for innocent lives and perhaps hold fire and show restraint . This restraint would show the world they have strength other than weaponry .
                                            Israel should back down NOW and make a big deal out of the lives they took.

Comment

Ukraine

Malta

Of the others:

Bulgaria - huh?

Covid robbed us of this winner
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

You are also forgetting that Hamas KNOW this will happen. I agree with you though but you seem hung up on one argument at the expense of the other bigger one . How does this stop ?
                                                what we think only really matters if we can offer a solution.
                                                In my view Israel needs to show concern for innocent lives and perhaps hold fire and show restraint . This restraint would show the world they have strength other than weaponry .
                                                But the world is almost completely (and that almost never happens) united in saying that the solution is for Israel to give back the land they have taken. The relevant land is internationally labelled as 'occupied territory'. So asking Hamas to come up with a solution is not asking the right country. How can Hamas solve the fact that Israel is occupying their land, and that this occupation is creating endemic poverty that is leading to extremism in a small minority? Of course it would. It did in Northern Ireland also. There is only one solution - and its not the people living 5000 to a square kilometre who can come up with the long-term solution.
                                                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 17-05-21, 21:30.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Covid robbed us of this winner
                                                  https://youtu.be/1HU7ocv3S2o
                                                  Brilliant! This year's icelandic entry is a shadow of that unfortunately.

Just listening to some of the dress rehearsals tonight. I'm not sure the Ukrainian song comes across too good on the stage. Maltese one is being blasted out and sounds great. Cyprus rehearsal is getting all the views, but i think thats based on singer hotness. Its really hard to get away from the fact that it sounds like a lady gaga song.

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

But the world is almost completely (and that almost never happens) united is saying that the solution is for Israel to give back the land they have taken. The relevant land is officially internationally labelled as 'occupied territory'. So asking Hamas to come up with a solution is not asking the right country. How can Hamas solve the fact that Israel is occupying their land, and this is creating endemic poverty that is leading to extremism in a small minority? Of course it would. It did in Northern Ireland also.
                                                      It's interesting you use the NI parallel.

Because when did Sinn Fein start making real political progress? When they dropped armed struggle. A united Ireland is more likely now via constitutional means than it was when Adams, McGuinness and their PIRA were murdering thousands.
                                                      The Palestinians should learn from that.

Hamas, Islamic Jihad etc should stop firing rockets and start focussing on winning the battle of ideas. Modern day Ghandhism. And if they won't stop (or their Iranian sponsors won't let them), then the Palestinian people should vote them out - they are making the chances of a settlement more unlikely with every rocket fired.

Comment

They can't back down while rockets are being launched at their cities. It's a political impossibility, they can't just ignore them and sit on their hands.

Comment

No, nothing Israel can do. The 58 kids just have to die.

Comment

Think i'm going to suck it up and bet on Cyprus. Don't like the song, but everything is saying thats what people really like. Will do Ukraine in a few top 3, top 5 things.

Comment

Nonviolent resistance. Thats the shtick that'll sort this mess out.
                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

What caused the poverty divide in the 60s ? The troops actually came to NI to put manners on the Loyalists .
                                                                The troubles started long before the 60s. As did the property divide. But that’s getting to the crux of it.
                                                                Religion is a co-related to the cause. It’s is not the cause.

Comment

The troubles started long before the 60s. As did the property divide. But that’s getting to the crux of it.
                                                                  Religion is a co-related to the cause. It’s is not the cause.
                                                                  LDO .

Comment

Remember when all we debated on was peas.
                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

LDO .
                                                                      It’d have thought it was obvious myself.
                                                                      I’d also have thought it was obvious that it wasn’t actually over religion too.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                        Remember when all we debated on was peas.
                                                                        Give peas a chance

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                          Nonviolent resistance. Thats the shtick that'll sort this mess out.
                                                                          Violent resistance is not exactly working out now, is it?

The Palestinians are worse off now than in the 1970s. They were worse off in the 1990s than in the 1970s. They're worse off now than in the 1990s.

Violent resistance has taken them backwards. They've lost all their Arab allies and Israel has grown stronger and more emboldened.

Hamas remind me a bit of WW1 generals preparing yet another charge into the enemy machine guns. Like I say, even the PIRA here eventually came to realise their armed struggle was futile.

Does anyone here actually think the Hamas rocketeering is achieving anything?

Comment

It’d have thought it was obvious myself.
                                                                            I’d also have thought it was obvious that it wasn’t actually over religion too.
                                                                            Both religion and land.

Edit to say the first element has come far more into play, on both sides, since the 1990s. You've only got to look at the composition of the right wing in Israel and the Palestinian leadership to realise that is true.
                                                                            Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 18-05-21, 07:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Give peas a chance
                                                                              Dont be going all mushy on us now.
                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

To say NI and ME conflicts have nothing to do with religion is pretty ridiculous.

They're about land grabs and oppression. Tribal land grabs, with religion at the centre of those tribal identities.

Comment

Speaking of land grabs, did you see that video going around WhatsApp of the traveller family in Killinarden fencing off about 100m of communal space at the back of their house.

Bonkers stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                    Speaking of land grabs, did you see that video going around WhatsApp of the traveller family in Killinarden fencing off about 100m of communal space at the back of their house.

Bonkers stuff.
                                                                                    Probably for their own protection, 83 cars burnt out on that park in 3 years.

They're the Israel in this situation!!!
                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Probably for their own protection, 83 cars burnt out on that park in 3 years.

They're the Israel in this situation!!!
                                                                                      Cliffs?

Comment

Was in a park recently, with everyone out enjoying the sunshine, and two knacker kids start a game with each other of going around slapping picnickers on the head and running away. The looks of complete disbelief from the recently-slapped folk of Blackrock were almost a joy to behold. They are indeed a different breed.

Comment

The missus is currently conducting a team meeting in VR from Prague . Tomorrow is Miama beach

Some companies have too much money

Comment

The missus is currently conducting a team meeting in VR from Prague . Tomorrow is Miama beach

Some companies have too much money
                                                                                            Does it work well?

I read a decent book that was very convincing that the sense of presence in VR is far better than normal screen interaction.

Comment

Hey. I've a building question. How much would it cost in approximate millions to put an extra floor on a building like this? Like would it be about 5 mil, 10 mil, 30 mil?

SPOILER

Comment

Does it work well?

I read a decent book that was very convincing that the sense of presence in VR is far better than normal screen interaction.
                                                                                                Well the feedback from her team is all positive energy. Eg Can write in the air if you want to demo some idea . Seems interesting . I borrow the headset for my own entertainment. Took a wander through Venice last night. Now I'm deffo going.

Comment

Brilliant! This year's icelandic entry is a shadow of that unfortunately.

Just listening to some of the dress rehearsals tonight. I'm not sure the Ukrainian song comes across too good on the stage. Maltese one is being blasted out and sounds great. Cyprus rehearsal is getting all the views, but i think thats based on singer hotness. Its really hard to get away from the fact that it sounds like a lady gaga song.
                                                                                                  Going just by the two videos, as havent watched any live rehearsals;
                                                                                                  Malta seems to have everything, just from the video.
                                                                                                  Plus sized female singer in a song about female empowerment and *most importantly* has the classic eurovision horn hook.
                                                                                                  I'm going deep.

Ukranian one, will be getting the sympathy vote. Video carries a lot of water for that song, which will be missing live.

This is a dark horse

Billie Eilish vibes, a teeny bit too much autotune, but WAIT!
                                                                                                  Here it is live...

Top 5 @ 6/1
                                                                                                  200/1 ew PP paying top 4
                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

ffs. you've definitely crystalised a fear that Ukraine might be riding on a video.

Comment

Was my fav Eurovision song but did badly. Still play it.

Comment

3/1 top 10.
                                                                                                        gonna get a lot of jury votes and 1/4 to qualify

Damn you hitch....I'm starting to get all eurovisiony now

Comment

Cliffs?
                                                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Does it work well?

I kinda thought the best bit of video meetings was the lack of presence. If someone is droning on you can be working on something else. Only need to pay attention when it matters.

Comment

Does it work well?

More importantly. Which VR companies should we plough our pensions into ahead of the revolution?

Comment

No idea tbh. My personal bet is on metaverses - virtual worlds - which have land-related NFTs you can buy. As my thinking is that these will be the places that people will hang out in VR worlds.

Comment

Split my bet, and first physical cash used in maybe six months, as:

€70 Malta win, 6/1
                                                                                                                  €40 Ukraine to finish in Top 5, 3/1
                                                                                                                  €40 Romania to finish as Top Balkan State, 18/1

Comment

Hey. I've a building question. How much would it cost in approximate millions to put an extra floor on a building like this? Like would it be about 5 mil, 10 mil, 30 mil?

SPOILER
                                                                                                                    Mellor would probably have the best handle on this but I'd guess that unless the possibility was designed in a rebuild would be cheaper.

Comment

Mrs cant work due to those hackers so had 3 hours in IKEA inflicted on me this morning. That place really is like some kind of Hell to me tbh, I genuinly was close to tears towards the end. Might start a Gofundme to pay the hackers quicksmart.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                        Mrs cant work due to those hackers so had 3 hours in IKEA inflicted on me this morning. That place really is like some kind of Hell to me tbh, I genuinly was close to tears towards the end. Might start a Gofundme to pay the hackers quicksmart.
                                                                                                                        It seems to be a universal rule that that place is heaven for women and hell for men.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

It seems to be a universal rule that that place is heaven for women and hell for men.
                                                                                                                          Tuesday evening, half an hour before closing - if you know exactly what you want and where to find it - is the nut time to visit.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X