X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

How do people who use Amazon square it with thinking they are a good person
      they are awful and vast majority of what they sell is absolutely useless tat. If you are regally ordering from them you need to reevaluate your life choices

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

u ok hun?

where should we be ordering from?
          Aliexpress obv.

PSV may get his wish in Jan or is there something now in place for Amazon deliveries to avoid customs/duty?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
            Each year, global gold mining adds approximately 2,500-3,000 tonnes to the overall above-ground stock of gold. (That's about 1.5% That's a big rounding error. )
            Total gold mines to date =/= Gold Reserves

That +2500-3000 per year is about the same amount as IMFs total gold reserve. Which has been fixed in size for about a decade.
            Gold reserves are a fraction of the total gold that’s been mined.

Comment

Yes!

All names below searchable at: https://boardgamegeek.com/ . Only issue is that some of the games have a max capacity of 4 players, all fun and a bit different. Some quite short play, some a bit longer.

Codenames
              King of Tokyo
              Santorini
              Pandemic
              Dixit
              Boo
              Exploding Kittens

The more risky choice is the fantastically popular: Secret Hitler from which I'd imagine few families recover.
              just for a bit of balance, we used to play king of tokyo (with the kids) but got bored of it very quickly (both the kids and I), and pandemic, whilst great, ends up with the dominant dominating the discussion and people just agreeing to try and get it finished (small kids won't like it).

Here are a couple more we've been enjoying:

Carcassonne -simple and good fun tile placing game which isn't very long (45 minutes)

Mysterium- This is a board game with a difference and knowing how the people you play with think is a plus. It's a board game for non board game players as you are not competing against each other per se, but are just trying to solve a mystery. This is the one we've been playing the most, recently.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                How do people who use Amazon square it with thinking they are a good person
                they are awful and vast majority of what they sell is absolutely useless tat. If you are regally ordering from them you need to reevaluate your life choices
                I think you are definitely trolling but I’ll bite anyway.

1. How is buying from amazon any more awful than buying from any other website? Or anyone central distributed retailer (which you definitely do regularly).

2. How is buying an third party product from amazon any different from buying the same product elsewhere for more.

Genuinely interested in your logic here. Is it just big corp = bad.
                Last edited by Mellor; 18-11-20, 10:35.

Comment

Yes!

All names below searchable at: https://boardgamegeek.com/ . Only issue is that some of the games have a max capacity of 4 players, all fun and a bit different. Some quite short play, some a bit longer.

Codenames
                  King of Tokyo
                  Santorini
                  Pandemic
                  Dixit
                  Boo
                  Exploding Kittens

The more risky choice is the fantastically popular: Secret Hitler from which I'd imagine few families recover.
                  I found exploding kittens to be fun for the first few games but then it gets repetitive and we might have donated it. Recently I've been playing scrabble with the missus a fair bit. Not a particularly nice feeling when she wins in her 2nd language .

A good cheap party game we had was Articulate. Ideal for large groups as you play in teams. Pretty much dead in the water since Covid. I've a brand new Catan box sitting idle for at least a year and likely to remain that way.

Comment

Yes!

Codenames
                    King of Tokyo
                    Santorini
                    Pandemic
                    Dixit
                    Boo
                    Exploding Kittens

ty sir

went for Codenames, King of Tokyo and Exploding Kittens
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I found exploding kittens to be fun for the first few games but then it gets repetitive and we might have donated it. Recently I've been playing scrabble with the missus a fair bit. Not a particularly nice feeling when she wins in her 2nd language .
                      Same. we got bored of exploding kittens very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Same. we got bored of exploding kittens very quickly.
                        Pussy

Comment

I'm currently doing a little project whereby son 2 and I are building a desktop from scratch (he's also a an aside, building a keyboard from scratch, and spends most of his time on twitch watching keyboard builders/customizers), and over the last few months, i've been buying parts as and when i find a good deal.

The only thing i'm missing now is the graphics card, but the whole world has gone completely mad! The new cards coming out are sold out within days, and then they're only available in the secondary market for 50 to 100% mark up . Not only that, but the older cards have been bumped up significantly and are still being sold at the prices at which they were launched.

Really fuckin annoying as i can't complete this without one!

Comment

I'm currently doing a little project whereby son 2 and I are building a desktop from scratch (he's also a an aside, building a keyboard from scratch, and spends most of his time on twitch watching keyboard builders/customizers), and over the last few months, i've been buying parts as and when i find a good deal.

The only thing i'm missing now is the graphics card, but the whole world has gone completely mad! The new cards coming out are sold out within days, and then they're only available in the secondary market for 50 to 100% mark up . Not only that, but the older cards have been bumped up significantly and are still being sold at the prices at which they were launched.

I built one last year and haven't used it yet. I had great intentions of using it for a side project but never really tried in the end.

It has a GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI D5 4G 4 GB GDDR5 would that fit?

If so, you can have it and replace it with a same/similar card next year or whenever you can get your hands on it.

Its probably been turned on once and never used at all.

You can double check it's working fine etc

Comment

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I bought all the parts last week for a new computer and experienced this myself, it was so frustrating. Ended up paying nearly double the expected price for the CPU

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

I built one last year and haven't used it yet. I had great intentions of using it for a side project but never really tried in the end.

It has a GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI D5 4G 4 GB GDDR5 would that fit?

If so, you can have it and replace it with a same/similar card next year or whenever you can get your hands on it.

Its probably been turned on once and never used at all.

You can double check it's working fine etc
                                    thanks man, that's very kind of you but sadly a 1050 won't run most of the games we play (i've got a 1060 in my laptop, and that's not powerful enough any more). I'll probably end up buying a 2nd hand one for a few months then sell it on, or with the new AMD cards due out today, we may see a new influx of GPUs on the market.

Comment

During confinement when we were stuck in a house in the middle of the country, all the local supermarket had was this game. I'd say we got through at least 50 plays of it over the three months. Was playing it recently and despite its flaws it now has a slightly nostalgic twinge to the play.

61YIH308pZL._AC_SX466_.jpg
                                      Absolute classic!!!

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I bought all the parts last week for a new computer and experienced this myself, it was so frustrating. Ended up paying nearly double the expected price for the CPU
                                      It's absolutely crazy at the moment!!! was worried about the CPU too as that was the penultimate buy, but managed to get one of the new Ryzen 5 5600 at the normal retail price (although haven't received it yet, so that could be another bottleneck if the store haven't got it as yet)

Comment

Absolute classic!!!

It's absolutely crazy at the moment!!! was worried about the CPU too as that was the penultimate buy, but managed to get one of the new Ryzen 5 5600 at the normal retail price (although haven't received it yet, so that could be another bottleneck if the store haven't got it as yet)
                                        Component shortages are at an all time high. I've a work laptop on back order for the last two months and the ETA is early December. Most new Dell builds are taking 1 month to deliver and some up to 2 months. These are standard configs with no customization.

Comment

thanks man, that's very kind of you but sadly a 1050 won't run most of the games we play (i've got a 1060 in my laptop, and that's not powerful enough any more). I'll probably end up buying a 2nd hand one for a few months then sell it on, or with the new AMD cards due out today, we may see a new influx of GPUs on the market.
                                          No problem, I figured it might not be much use to you.

Hectorjelly I'd make you the same offer on the CPU as I have a Ryzen 5 2600x but I've already promised that to someone else.

The speed at which relatively high end components become relatively obsolete for gaming is incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I think you are definitely trolling but I’ll bite anyway.

1. How is buying from amazon any more awful than buying from any other website? Or anyone central distributed retailer (which you definitely do regularly).

2. How is buying an third party product from amazon any different from buying the same product elsewhere for more.

Genuinely interested in your logic here. Is it just big corp = bad.
                                            Not trolling
                                            they treat their employees disgracefully https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...e_iOSApp_Other

lots of places do I’m sure but Amazon seem to excel at it

but in addition they play a big role in driving down quality- not just talking about the many fakes on their site but also their encouragement and contribution to manufacturers driving quality sown so morons can think they are getting a bargain.

last thing I bought off them a few years ago was a set of Stanley flasks- they were shocking - hot coffee lukewarm after 4 hours. Either fakes or just that Stanley have decided to go f”uck our good rep let’s just make cheap tat -Ned it’ll be flogged on Amazon anyway ”

fake products, shit products, fake reviews, that’s the Amazon way
                                            they aren’t even that competitive on price for electronics
                                            dont get me started on their surveillance products and the idiots who buy them.

regulate/ break them up- time for big government to shine

they are quite clearly a net negative for humanity but spoilt little emporers in the west ignore it all for some extremely minor convenience

God bless the EU
                                            Last edited by Guest; 18-11-20, 13:20.

Comment

Hip Hop fans.

This has been a nice recent find for me

https://antilillyandphoniks.bandcamp.com/album/stories-from-the-brass-section
                                              airport, lol

Comment

Just nabbed an RX 6800 on release. the AMD website was all over the shop but persevered and got the order confirmation. It's more than i would have like to pay, but buying a cheapy one now and upgrading in a year when things might get back to normal would cost more in the long run.

Comment

Paul Reynolds suggesting that this recent seizure may have been orchestrated by Jeff Bezos:

Comment

Hookey must be stuck for a few bob.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

His expert guests were an accupuncturist and a newspaper columnist... right so
                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

classic hookster.
                                                          Even during the Emergency and the troubles people were never so savaged on twitter
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

No problem, I figured it might not be much use to you.

Hectorjelly I'd make you the same offer on the CPU as I have a Ryzen 5 2600x but I've already promised that to someone else.

The speed at which relatively high end components become relatively obsolete for gaming is incredible.
                                                            I like how it drives the technology forward. Obsolete is a bit much though, just not the latest games with the highest frame rates on a high resolution and max graphics. I'm still on an overclocked 2500k from 8 years ago gaming at 1440p since then. Upgrading the gfx card does most of the work, everything else is as old as my cpu.

Comment

I had ordered the Philips OLED 805 55" TV from richer sounds but after delaying delivery they say now they can't fulfil it and are offering me an LG OLED55CX5LB instead (which is nominally dearer), but it is missing the killer feature I wanted, the philips ambilight on the TV. Stupid website. No irish retailer seems to stock it, I can't drive to Newry to buy one with Covid at the price it was on RS in Currys (they don't have it in the Irish Currys) and I don't really want to trust parcel motel with delivering it. Annoying when I decided what overpriced TV I was going to commit to.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I like how it drives the technology forward. Obsolete is a bit much though, just not the latest games with the highest frame rates on a high resolution and max graphics. I'm still on an overclocked 2500k from 8 years ago gaming at 1440p since then. Upgrading the gfx card does most of the work, everything else is as old as my cpu.
                                                                Yeah that’s true, perhaps the perception of obsolescence; the same across all tech I guess.

I feel I should do something with the PC now.

Perhaps turn it into a loss making Bitcoin mining machine.

Comment

Trump must be broke. He's is stumping up $3m for a recount of the two most populous counties in Wisconsin but not the full $8m for the whole state.

Surprisingly (), those counties are where most of WI's black voters live....

Comment

Yeah that’s true, perhaps the perception of obsolescence; the same across all tech I guess.

I feel I should do something with the PC now.

Perhaps turn it into a loss making Bitcoin mining machine.
                                                                    You could play losing poker during the day and mine shitcoins during the night to fully max this strat

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                      Hip Hop fans.

This has been a nice recent find for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvrvrYGu2I
                                                                      Nice. Never heard of him before and enjoying it a lot so far.

Have you come across this cat?

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                        I had ordered the Philips OLED 805 55" TV from richer sounds but after delaying delivery they say now they can't fulfil it and are offering me an LG OLED55CX5LB instead (which is nominally dearer), but it is missing the killer feature I wanted, the philips ambilight on the TV. Stupid website. No irish retailer seems to stock it, I can't drive to Newry to buy one with Covid at the price it was on RS in Currys (they don't have it in the Irish Currys) and I don't really want to trust parcel motel with delivering it. Annoying when I decided what overpriced TV I was going to commit to.
                                                                        Get a hue lamp and plug it in behind the TV.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Get a hue lamp and plug it in behind the TV.
                                                                          Wouldn't work near the same. I'm sure I'll cope with my terrible first world problem.

Comment

Finding a bit of time for reading lately. Almost finished Robert Harris' latest 'V2'. Really enjoying it. Have read his Cicero series and Pompeii.

Can anyone recommend anything else by him or similar authors?
                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Wouldn't work near the same. I'm sure I'll cope with my terrible first world problem.
                                                                              i've a hue lightstrip stuck to the back of the TV and very happy with it - couple of decent Apps if you want light reaction etc too but don't use that much -
                                                                              TVIMG_0921.jpg
                                                                              Last edited by paul8200; 18-11-20, 21:24.

Comment

Parcel Motel wouldnt have delivered anyway.

During this time, we can no longer process very large items measuring more than
                                                                                95 X 48 X 55cm (roughly the size of a wheelie bin) and such items will not be accepted in our receiving centres in Newtownabbey or Dublin.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                  Finding a bit of time for reading lately. Almost finished Robert Harris' latest 'V2'. Really enjoying it. Have read his Cicero series and Pompeii.

Can anyone recommend anything else by him or similar authors?
                                                                                  Fatherland is a good Harris counterfactual.

Archangel was another one I recall as being a page turner.

Comment

At least you didn’t take the weak mans option and go with scAmazon . Respect

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Fatherland is a good Harris counterfactual.

Archangel was another one I recall as being a page turner.
                                                                                      Thank you. Just bought a set with those two and Enigma.

Comment

Bought them off Bezos, fair play to him.

Comment

Hope they're not fakes.

Comment

Yeah, the b&m stores source their same products from a better class of Chinese wage-slaves.
                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Ambilight is fantastic Whole UK trade flow is backed up behind loads of containers of shite PPE bought by tory cronies.
                                                                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I got the 58 inch philips ambilight last week in Tesco reduced to 517. Its absolutely fucking amazing.

The background colour just changes everything. So give Tesco a try!!

This one

https://www.did.ie/philips-series-78...pus7855-12-prd

The ultra HD is unbelievable. I'm a newbie to it
                                                                                                Last edited by SatNav; 18-11-20, 22:45.
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

i've a hue lightstrip stuck to the back of the TV and very happy with it - couple of decent Apps if you want light reaction etc too but don't use that much -
                                                                                                  TVIMG_0921.jpg
                                                                                                  I've made my peace with it now, I've no interest in a 3rd party rigging of it or just a passive lighting effect really.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

Parcel Motel wouldnt have delivered anyway.

During this time, we can no longer process very large items measuring more than
                                                                                                    95 X 48 X 55cm (roughly the size of a wheelie bin) and such items will not be accepted in our receiving centres in Newtownabbey or Dublin.
                                                                                                    Ah ya, I know, I was speaking in general, and for the new year also when they'll allow larger items again. With Covid, it'll be ages until I could within rules travel to the north probably to pick one up myself, and even if they were relaxed a bit around christmas I wouldn't darken the door of somewhere like Newry then.

Err, ya, I've never ordered anything from there, honest!

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

I got the 58 inch philips ambilight last week in Tesco reduced to 517. Its absolutely fucking amazing.

The background colour just changes everything. So give Tesco a try!!

This one

https://www.did.ie/philips-series-78...pus7855-12-prd

The ultra HD is unbelievable. I'm a newbie to it
                                                                                                      I want to go for OLED specifically as the main priority. Was considering a good LED, but decided to make the step up for extra quality. I know I probably wouldn't notice for 99% of things, but still.

Comment

I want to go for OLED specifically as the main priority. Was considering a good LED, but decided to make the step up for extra quality. I know I probably wouldn't notice for 99% of things, but still.
                                                                                                        After spending 4k on a philips TV with a surround system 18 yrs ago in boom times, I swore never again. I couldn't give it away 10 yrs later. There can't be a massive difference in tvs nowadays once you have decent sound the 4k res. Like 500 odd v 1kkk odd I personally don't think it's worth it

The picture, sound, apps and lighting on this is just amazing for small money.

Amazon prime, netflix and rakuten TV press of a button too.

Bargain of 2020 for me anyway.

Why don't you lower budget and invest in the sky sound box also amazing. I don't get commission for that BTW lol. But if you want to wake up Dublin some investment
                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

This finishing state to a chess game I just played was harder to pull off than you would imagine (obv vs computer opponent).

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 23.32.43.png

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Thank you. Just bought a set with those two and Enigma.
                                                                                                            If you enjoy Enigma, Munich is probably another to check out.

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

Tbf some smart home stuff is tempting enough
                                                                                                                  finall won an internal battle against buying Philips hue light setup yesterday when I did enough research to convince myself that buying a lighting system where the Philips van just void the bridge controller when it feels like squeezing a few extra quid out of you isn’t a good idea- that and the lol pricing

The money being spent on some of this garbage is nuts

Comment

...

Comment

This ones for you hitch
                                                                                                                      and calling devices aren’t always listening to you if you use the right ones /enable certain settings (doesn’t apply to android)

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X