Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They selling any €9 grub in that pub of yours down the sticks there Duke? Wouldn't mind escaping the farm kids for a few Guinness

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Ah no, I'd be fairly sure you are missing that the point I'm making is about scrutiny and integrity not a moral position on gambling.
      The transfer of Wigan from one dubious HK fund to another does seem to be pretty scandalous.

Mind you, the sudden transfer of all those horses from the ownership of Princess Haya to Sheik Mohammed seems to be going unmentioned in the trade papers and tv coverage.
      At least the Wigan situation is being discussed.

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
          This is worth yer half hour .
          ...Would have enjoyed it more if that guy David McIntosh didn't finish... Very good watch...Have you ever seen "The Barkley marathons"?... It was on Netflix for awhile, not there now sadly but would DEFINITELY recommend finding it if you enjoyed the above...Think Lazare was the one that mentioned it 3 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post

...Would have enjoyed it more if that guy David McIntosh didn't finish... Very good watch...Have you ever seen "The Barkley marathons"?... It was on Netflix for awhile, not there now sadly but would DEFINITELY recommend finding it if you enjoyed the above...Think Lazare was the one that mentioned it 3 years ago...
            Spent last night evening watching this from 2010.

Even better .

Comment

Even better .
              Only a read but tops them all I think... more than two marathons a day for 52 days straight and only 43 finishers in 22 years.

All around a New York City block.

Sri Chinmoy Self Transcendence 3,100 Mile Race
              Last edited by BennyHiFi; 04-07-20, 00:50.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                    They selling any €9 grub in that pub of yours down the sticks there Duke? Wouldn't mind escaping the farm kids for a few Guinness
                    I'll ask the wife, she's there. You could have a few with her in the Bumbles tonight.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Newstalk running a piece on city folk moving to the country due to wfh.
                      just a friendly reminder to any Dublin people thinking of making the move that you are not wanted and in any case we are all racist , homophobic cousin fucking knuckle dragging savages who voted against repealing the 8th so you wouldn’t like it anyway

Comment

In my continuing quest to raise the awareness of the chronically deluded I'm always struck by the moronic but widely held assumption that all horse racing is bent and that racing only exists to support betting when the truth is that soccer has far more money traded on it and is subject to much less scrutiny than racing.

Anyway this thread should be a bit of an eyopener.

lol, sport that wouldn’t exist if the daughter Kidnapper decided to pull all his dough out isn’t bent .
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-07-20, 09:41.

Comment

This weeks journal: https://medium.com/@daraghthomas/we-...3-cedc5a8a9941

Comment

I am not the best with heights so even just watching this made me nervous.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                Read or saw a few weeks ago that salt is used to enhance the flavour of something, while pepper is used to change the flavour. I guess its maybe quite obvious, but had never occurred to me before exactly why we add salt to something. Suggests a fairly fundamental lacking in the cooking department, despite being the person in the family who cooks. Like not even knowing what the point of salt is?! So I was thinking of maybe taking something like a year-long cooking course - the type of thing where you turn up for something like three hours one night a week for a year - and get up to beginning 'professional' chef level. Where you understand all these basics. How flavours work together. Ninja knife skills for chopping onions. How to cook ten types of sauces etc.

Has anyone ever heard a personal recommendation for a decent course like that in Dublin? Like proper how to cook, not those silly courses on 'learn to cook the five Lebanese dishes of your dreams on a Saturday morning'.
                                And there was me thinking the gender reassignment was in jest.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  Working all this weekend and next; slightly mad to think something that started with me drawing shapes on a wall in New York to a sceptical audience has now turned into data that enables all aspects of a chunky 12 figures (do the math) worth of investments. Nice to see something through.
                                  and I think we're just about done (unless everything blows up when the markets open )

Gin

Comment

Down the sticks for the weekend, her parents getting old and mother a bit dotty as happens. Mrs decided to do a clearout of kitchen. Had a bet on the line of oldest out of date product to be found. I took the unders @ 2010. Shipped quite early at a ghastly tin of tuna from 1993. Should have been spread betting. Sticking to wine till we gtfo tomorrow.

Comment

Read or saw a few weeks ago that salt is used to enhance the flavour of something, while pepper is used to change the flavour. I guess its maybe quite obvious, but had never occurred to me before exactly why we add salt to something. Suggests a fairly fundamental lacking in the cooking department, despite being the person in the family who cooks. Like not even knowing what the point of salt is?! So I was thinking of maybe taking something like a year-long cooking course - the type of thing where you turn up for something like three hours one night a week for a year - and get up to beginning 'professional' chef level. Where you understand all these basics. How flavours work together. Ninja knife skills for chopping onions. How to cook ten types of sauces etc.

Has anyone ever heard a personal recommendation for a decent course like that in Dublin? Like proper how to cook, not those silly courses on 'learn to cook the five Lebanese dishes of your dreams on a Saturday morning'.
                                      We were taught that salt draws flavour out of foods and that was when I started to use it more. I was very much one of those people that tried not to use the stuff.
                                      Unfortunately, it was Killybegs I went to learn the craft and thoroughly enjoyed my two years there. Watching Masterchef and doing my course changed how I cooked, for a while anyway as I got lazy/busy.

Starting to find more of a passion for cooking again lately since we started keto.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                        Down the sticks for the weekend, her parents getting old and mother a bit dotty as happens. Mrs decided to do a clearout of kitchen. Had a bet on the line of oldest out of date product to be found. I took the unders @ 2010. Shipped quite early at a ghastly tin of tuna from 1993. Should have been spread betting. Sticking to wine till we gtfo tomorrow.
                                        Go find Mrs Duke III and go on the lash in Glan. The Mother in Law was furiously trying to work out who your Mrs was.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post

We were taught that salt draws flavour out of foods and that was when I started to use it more. I was very much one of those people that tried not to use the stuff.
                                          Unfortunately, it was Killybegs I went to learn the craft and thoroughly enjoyed my two years there. Watching Masterchef and doing my course changed how I cooked, for a while anyway as I got lazy/busy.

Starting to find more of a passion for cooking again lately since we started keto.
                                          isn't it one of the truisms of restaurant cooking that they use way more salt and butter than you would ordinarily use at home? (hence why it tastes so damn good but why you wouldn't want to eat out every day)

Comment

isn't it one of the truisms of restaurant cooking that they use way more salt and butter than you would ordinarily use at home? (hence why it tastes so damn good but why you wouldn't want to eat out every day)
                                            Paolo Tullio used to recommend making mashed potato with equal weights of potato and butter. Never went that far myself tough always tempted.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Paolo Tullio used to recommend making mashed potato with equal weights of potato and butter. Never went that far myself tough always tempted.
                                                My father is now close enough to a 2:1 ratio of butter : spud
                                                I remember accusing him committing suicide by butter.... 20 years ago

Comment

The butter is absolutely huge in restaurants. I follow the head chef of Chapter 1 on Instagram and he's been doing Cabin Fever Classics at home for the last few months, with his missus recording them. Every dish has about 2lb of butter in them much to the protest/horror of his missus.

The amount of butter he put in his mash spuds was off the charts

I've actually started to use it more in cooking over the last few months myself (not to restaurant level) and there is definitely an improved taste.

Comment

Oh god yes!

And when I worked in the kitchen at the hotel, the amount of butter and salt in the mash was mental. But that mash was amazing!

Comment

Love it . All the foodies on here and the ol butter and mash da mudder made is dished out in the Michelin Star joints .
                                                      I wonder if that's where the expression 'butter them up' came from.

I ate a can of mushy peas after a run this evening . Hovered em up in a few seconds .

Comment

H
                                                        Last edited by Guest; 05-07-20, 23:28.

Comment

Yeah, butter the fuck out of everything.

Rolling roosters in melted butter and a crack of salt before sticking in the oven makes for sublime baked potato skin
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

One the most interesting poker player podcast I have listened to in ages. His personal poker story is very entertaining and some of the stories around the high stakes games he plays in are outrageous.

Comment

Read or saw a few weeks ago that salt is used to enhance the flavour of something, while pepper is used to change the flavour. I guess its maybe quite obvious, but had never occurred to me before exactly why we add salt to something. Suggests a fairly fundamental lacking in the cooking department, despite being the person in the family who cooks. .
                                                                No very well by the sounds of things.
                                                                Glad to heard you are dong ok. More morphine though

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

The butter is absolutely huge in restaurants. I follow the head chef of Chapter 1 on Instagram and he's been doing Cabin Fever Classics at home for the last few months, with his missus recording them. Every dish has about 2lb of butter in them much to the protest/horror of his missus.

The amount of butter he put in his mash spuds was off the charts

I've really enjoyed his videos and learned a lot from them. Joel Robuchon's famous mashed potatoes are 50/50 butter to potato!

@Hitch: Over the shutdown I've self taught myself from the internet. I'm now at the point where I couldn't just throw a steak on the pan. I'm dry aging beef at home, to sous vide and the finish with the flame thrower to sear! I don't think there's a huge amount of point in going to cookery school for home use. Once you have the interest just do your internet research...all the stuff about the 5 main sauces of French cooking is there. Maybe buy La Technique by Jacques Pepin as well. Everyone swears by it.

This is an entertaining YouTube channel to start with, and as requested he has an onion chopping video!

Hi ! "Salut" ! I'm Alex, self-taught Homecook & Filmmaker. On this YouTube channel, I just want to make recreate Perfect food. Is that too much to ask ? Well... Get my cookbook here : http://smarturl.it/frenchguycooking AWESOME merch here : http://www.frenchguycooking.com Chat with me : twitter.com/frenchguycookin See through my eyes : Instagram @frenchguycooking Get Friendly : Facebook.com/frenchguycooking

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Sagan, circa 1995
                                                                        I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance

Comment

Noticed the margarine sections in the shop have diminished dramatically in favour of real butter over the years. Yet Flora was the sign that you cared for your family's health as a kid. I'd imagine we'll be hearing about things like almond milk is a similar vein to margarine in a few years.
                                                                          The process for appointing a French Prime Minister seems bizarre (seems to basically be the President selecting a civil servant who no-one has ever heard of and going "OK, France meet your new PM")

Explain this strangeness please from your sick bed.

Comment

Anyone got any recommendations for West Cork area for medium-sized kids (13\11\9). Skibbereen\Baltimore area.
                                                                            Already booked one of these lads.

Comment

Can follow a recipe. Just don't quite know how or why things balance. It's surely not that unusual to not know much about something you've never really had any training in.
                                                                              Exactly the same. I think there is probably no substitute for learning in-person from a good cook, probably as a small child.

I can follow a recipe exactly to the smallest detail and then go 'OK, that really didn't taste like it should'. I have no feel for it.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

I've really enjoyed his videos and learned a lot from them. Joel Robuchon's famous mashed potatoes are 50/50 butter to potato!
                                                                                Yeah, I've loved his videos, to the point where Mrs Lao Lao now calls me 'such a fucking fan boy' in jest. I'm looking forward to the one tonight with his parents, should be a bit of craic.

Comment

So, tomorrow, myself and Mrs Lao Lao are one year married. Yesterday we headed back down to our wedding venue (which only fully reopened on Wednesday) for some breakfast/brunch and a stroll around the grounds where we got married.

Yesterday was also Mrs Lao Lao's Dad's birthday who she has only seen once in the last 16 weeks. So we invited him over for a birthday/romantic anniversary dinner.

Pork chops on the bone, wilted spinach and roasted spuds, parsnips, pears and carrots.

All washed down with a nice Bordeaux.

SPOILER

P.S. There was only a smidgen of butter used in the wilting of the spinach.

Comment

Can follow a recipe. Just don't quite know how or why things balance. It's surely not that unusual to not know much about something you've never really had any training in.
                                                                                    Fair enough if we’re talking about advanced techniques like umami flavours, or balancing bitterness. Or some of the pizza making black magic posted here.
                                                                                    but I’d have thought the purpose of salt was pretty basic.

On a related note, whenever something from scratch tastes a bit bland compare to the
                                                                                    jar/packet/takeaway version. Most of the time it probably just needs salt.
                                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 05-07-20, 11:33.

Comment

Next IPB get together....

Check out the new Succession Season 1 Episode 4 clip starring Brian Cox! Let us know what you think in the comments below.► Learn more about this show on Rot...
                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

uh3g2bd16b7x.jpg
                                                                                        Attached Files

Comment

Even better .

Really enjoyed that, thanks.

Comment

Gibbet Rath. The Curragh of a Sunday morning.

Comment

...

Comment

They'll be offering a drive through service next.

"Can we take your order please"
                                                                                                "Yes could I have 4 scourges regular please with a side order of 2 large stonings"
                                                                                                "would you like hair shorts with that sir"
                                                                                                "Yes please 2 large and 2 regular thanks:
                                                                                                "Thank you that will be €400 if you could just proceed to waiting area number 2 , one of our Jesuits will be with you shortly"

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Really enjoyed that, thanks.
                                                                                                  The boy Killian had some decade after that so it seems.

Comment

The boy Killian had some decade after that so it seems.
                                                                                                    Must be a good advantage being born and living/training at altitude. Tough competitor all right.

Liked the running style of the second place lad, lands to front of foot, looks economical.

Comment

Anyone got any recommendations for West Cork area for medium-sized kids (13\11\9). Skibbereen\Baltimore area.
                                                                                                      Already booked one of these lads.
                                                                                                      Avoid Baltimore. Absolutely nothing to do for the kids and fuck all to do for adults really. Spent a long weekend there once and couldnt wait to leave. Cobh is a nice spot with more options, Fota and closer to the city if you're stuck for entertainment. I dont know Skibb. If you're set on west cork, I'd prefer Roscarbery/Clonakilty area.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

THIS. If you've never met a real sociopath or if you've never had a sociopath reveal themselves to you before it can be unbelievably strange. Stay as far away from her as you possibly can, never be alone with her and be absolutely sure to tell someone you trust about the experience.
                                                                                                        Ran into that person again. Confirmed sociopath.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Joel Robuchon's famous mashed potatoes are 50/50 butter to potato!
                                                                                                          I've had these and found them way too rich for my taste. Like eating a piece of velvet but not in a nice way (quite a wet texture IIRC).

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Ran into that person again. Confirmed sociopath.
                                                                                                            Is that why you centered your post?

Confirmed insane

Give us the details, I enjoyed the first tale. Could very much relate to your emotions and thoughts.

Comment

Always had a soft spot for Southampton.

Comment

Is that why you centered your post?

Confirmed insane

Give us the details, I enjoyed the first tale. Could very much relate to your emotions and thoughts.
                                                                                                                Sounds convoluted but.

Six months ago her then boyfriend expressed his feelings for my girlfriend. Sociopath and boyfriend broke up. We haven't seen them until last night. They got back together,came to a party we were at.

She made a beeline for me. She asked me was I working (I had a trading role fall through due to covid), was I still living in my place, asked was it crippling, it must not be what I want for my life etc etc. To everyone else she's a fun outing person. I'd come across as crazy if I tried to describe her behaviour to people.

​So odd. Last I saw them she was drunkenly driving a car load of people to another party.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                  Sounds convoluted but.

Six months ago her then boyfriend expressed his feelings for my girlfriend. Sociopath and boyfriend broke up. We haven't seen them until last night. They got back together,came to a party we were at.

She made a beeline for me. She asked me was I working (I had a trading role fall through due to covid), was I still living in my place, asked was it crippling, it must not be what I want for my life etc etc. To everyone else she's a fun outing person. I'd come across as crazy if I tried to describe her behaviour to people.

​So odd. Last I saw them she was drunkenly driving a car load of people to another party.
                                                                                                                  What's the boyfriend like? Does he have any level of awareness?

Comment

He's not an idiot but he is a mess. Think he's binded/captivated by her. Her sister is an award winning actress and she has similar level skills. I found it rather unsettling when she demonstrated before how she could put emotions on.

Comment

Amazing the people we work/play with and we haven't a clue who they are.

Frank Murphy (RIP) was a Fitz tournament regular and played on the downstairs tourney table usually. A nicer gent you could not meet. Unassuming and modest.
                                                                                                                      I remember chatting to him saying how I was doing a bit of running etc. He said that he had done a bit himself when younger but nothing to indicate the remarkable athlete that he was.
                                                                                                                      1500 metre silver medalist in the European Championships in 1969 and a 2 time Olympian

I only found this out after he had passed away in 2017.

Wish I'd known sooner I'd have plagued him with questions!

Comment

Frank Murphy (RIP) was a Fitz tournament regular and played on the downstairs tourney table usually. A nicer gent you could not meet. Unassuming and modest.
                                                                                                                        I remember chatting to him saying how I was doing a bit of running etc. He said that he had done a bit himself when younger but nothing to indicate the remarkable athlete that he was.
                                                                                                                        1500 metre silver medalist in the European Championships in 1969 and a 2 time Olympian

I only found this out after he had passed away in 2017.

Wish I'd known sooner I'd have plagued him with questions!
                                                                                                                        He was always willing and ready to talk about his career with pride and without any sort of self aggrandising in his own good natured way, as you say Frank was a gent and always a pleasure to meet.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 05-07-20, 22:17.

Comment

I can't say I didn't have any clue of what this guy is made of but I heard a terrible story tonight about a lad I know who apparently attempted to commit suicide with a gun but only managed to blow away half his face.
                                                                                                                          Fucking hell

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X