Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People seem be focused on China and Chinese people to keep the economic juggernaut on track over the coming decades.

In the next 20 - 30 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see most of China's money come from outside China. They are hoovering up businesses and resources all over the world. The workforce in these countries will keep the money trickling back to the mother land.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

You are an MMA guy. ? How do you rate Jiu Jitsu over lets say Kempo or Shotok?
      Brazilian jiu jitsu is hugely effective. Mainly as it exists as a full contact sport in itself. Forms a large part of MMA grappling. I’d spend more time on that and other training.
      Traditional Japanese JiuJitsu is less effective. As it often trained as compliant displays rather than active resisting . Not as bad as aikido, but similar. Japanese jiu jitsu, trained against resistance, using only what works, etc, became judo.
      I think with Karate and Kempo it’s similar. There are styles of each that are used effectively. But also many styles that are teaching nonsense. Kyokushin is generally considered the most full contact hard style of karate. I think Shotokan is related, but not 100%.

In general, anything that’s not full contact, includes more kata or choreography than sparring, would be in the questionable pile for me. Same way you won’t become a good boxer by doing boxercise fitness classes.

Comment

3 spots left before draw at 2.30pm for the race (have to be outta here then so cant leave it open any later)

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
          3 spots left before draw at 2.30pm for the race (have to be outta here then so cant leave it open any later)
          Go on then if in time.

Comment

Gowan

Comment

Right will do a randomizer draw and then a second draw for the odd horse out so someone will get 2 runners.

€200
              €100
              €40

Comment

Player Horse
                Dice75 Mister Fogpatches
                Raoul Duke Diol Ker
                DeadParrot Franco de Port
                Oleras Augusta Gold
                Elbows Class Conti
                Hectorjelly Scarlet and Dove
                Dice47 Foxy Jacks
                KK82 Smoking Gun
                Balfejohn Chriss Dream
                Dobby Escaria Ten
                Shrapnel Ex Patriot
                Solksjaer Brahma Bull
                Ionapaul Ontheropes
                Eamonhonda Braeside
                Lplate Longhouse Poet
                6Starpool Eklat de Rire
                Keane Death Duty

Ionapaul got the bonus horse of Coko Beach, gl all. Will sort money this evening.

Comment

Right will do a randomizer draw and then a second draw for the odd horse out so someone will get 2 runners.

€200
                  €100
                  €40
                  just remove sp's tip from the 18 and you'll be grand
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                    Brazilian jiu jitsu is hugely effective. Mainly as it exists as a full contact sport in itself. Forms a large part of MMA grappling. I’d spend more time on that and other training.
                    Traditional Japanese JiuJitsu is less effective. As it often trained as compliant displays rather than active resisting . Not as bad as aikido, but similar. Japanese jiu jitsu, trained against resistance, using only what works, etc, became judo.
                    I think with Karate and Kempo it’s similar. There are styles of each that are used effectively. But also many styles that are teaching nonsense. Kyokushin is generally considered the most full contact hard style of karate. I think Shotokan is related, but not 100%.

In general, anything that’s not full contact, includes more kata or choreography than sparring, would be in the questionable pile for me. Same way you won’t become a good boxer by doing boxercise fitness classes.
                    Interesting. Youll rattle some cages with that boxercise jibe not that i disagree although katas do teach discipline in movement . The Katas for 1st dan shoto kan are impressive imo

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Historically, I'd be a Kenpo guy and I'd largely agree.
                      There's a lot of 'magic punch' type bullshit out there and a lot of statue like opponents for drills that I've seen over the years
                      A ton of McDojo's with fat instructors.
                      Wado/Shodo ultra wide low stances always seemed ripe for a kick to the balls for me. TKD's flappy legs, much the same for other reasons.
                      It's a pity there isn't a wrestling/grappling tradition really in ireland as I think we'd have an aptitude for it.
                      BJJ is class, but equally not the be all and end all as it's sometimes touted.

Kata/Drills/Forms etc has it's place imo. Muscle memory is pretty important when it comes to an actual fight.
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I’ve already Backed Class Conti
                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

5 WPM, 5 Elliott, 2 HDB

not easy being a little man these days

Comment

My brother was in a Celtic Wrestling club in college (this sport maybe?) and represented Ireland in some pan-Celtic nations competition in Spain. Remember him describing it as similar to judo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

People seem be focused on China and Chinese people to keep the economic juggernaut on track over the coming decades.

In the next 20 - 30 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see most of China's money come from outside China. They are hoovering up businesses and resources all over the world. The workforce in these countries will keep the money trickling back to the mother land.
                              That is a very good point. They own half of Africa already (basically through the national equivalent of payday lending - pure predatory stuff) and big chunks of the rest of the world.

Comment

Ole gone at the first

Comment

What a start....
                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

looks a nice auld day down in co Kilkenny anyway

Comment

Sigh, let us know who/where to ship the loots to.

Comment

I can revolut Dice if that works
                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Bah. 4th place is probably the worst possible result although I guess I deserved it for slagging off Ole

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                            I can revolut Dice if that works
                                            Same
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Out and about so will post money details later as to who can pay Lplate, DP and myself

Comment

NVM

Comment

40 to 1 shot . Never in it

not my day.
                                                  Had Morikowa to be 1st round leader in Dubai at 22 to 1. He was 7 under but dropped to 4 in the last few holes. FECK. Then I noticed Larazabel was top of the leader board, aha, I had a small wager on him at 50 to 1. GREAT . Logged in , I mistakenly put in a different Player.

Comment

I only signed the aul lad (Lplate) up last minute to make up the numbers definition of running good

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                      I only signed the aul lad (Lplate) up last minute to make up the numbers definition of running good
                                                      That fella is a notorious luckbox, I remember him romping the Aintree Tipping Comp one year with some ludicrous cavalcade of 50/1 shots cruising home.

Obviously he didn't pass it down the generations.

Thanks to Dice for running.

Comment

Tried sending pm on phone but its breaking my heart...will sort later

Comment

Beat Dice so I'm happy
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Has anyone a Times account or a currency account?
                                                            Looking to get some articles relating my company going under.
                                                            Weirdly, neither work trying to subscribe, even tweeted the currency with no response as their form is broken
                                                            Usual outline, 12ft ladder sites or even niffty CSS wrangling doesnt seem to be doing the trick

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d...tion-jr0c62kzv is one of them

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

That fella is a notorious luckbox, I remember him romping the Aintree Tipping Comp one year with some ludicrous cavalcade of 50/1 shots cruising home.

Obviously he didn't pass it down the generations.

Thanks to Dice for running.
                                                              Was that not Elbows?
                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Was that not Elbows?
                                                                Nope, he luckboxed the Cheltenham one last year in similar spectacular fashion.

Currently busy getting his handicap mark dropped back down to the bargain basement.

Comment

That Sue Gray report must have got lost in the post...Boris clearly desperate to get to the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                    Weirdly, neither work trying to subscribe, even tweeted the currency with no response as their form is broken
                                                                    Usual outline, 12ft ladder sites or even niffty CSS wrangling doesnt seem to be doing the trick

SPOILER
                                                                    Jay Bourke, the bar and restaurant entrepreneur, hopes a cash windfall from the stock market flotation of an insurance company he invests in will allow him to pay off his debts.

John O’Callaghan of KPMG Ireland, Bourke’s personal insolvency practitioner, told the High Court in a submission written last October that without this windfall, Bourke’s personal insolvency application (PIA) — a financial rescue for heavily indebted borrowers — would fail. In that event, Revenue would have the right to proceed with its application for Bourke’s bankruptcy, O’Callaghan said.

However, the insurance company in question, XS Direct, has recently stopped taking on new business.

Bourke’s insolvency case, related to debts totalling €13.75 million, is before the High Court for mention today. Bourke — who has operated many well known bars including The Globe and The Front Lounge in Dublin and Bodega bar in Cork — is seeking an arrangement that would involve him paying off in full secured creditors such as Revenue, which is owed €558,000. However, Pepper Finance, would get less than 1 per cent of the €12.2 million it has sought. Pepper is seeking repayment of €12.2 million in a contingent liability from loans linked to Bellinter House, the hotel in Co Meath that Bourke co-owned. It is contesting Bourke’s PIA application.

Bourke said last week that he disputed the debt claimed by Pepper. He said he believed the debt associated with Bellinter House was cleared when it was sold below market value at the behest of the bank that subsequently sold the debt to Pepper.
                                                                    ADVERTISEMENT

A copy of the PIA proposal submitted to the High Court by KPMG shows that the businessman is an investor in XS Direct, a brokerage.

Bourke said he could not comment on XS Direct’s business other than to say: “I hope it is successful.”

The PIA submission shows Bourke is relying on receiving a pay day from his investment in XS Direct to make the insolvency proposal work. O’Callaghan said XS Direct’s management had confirmed it intends to float the company on the stock market within two years.

Bourke’s stake in XS Direct is valued at €190,000 but it would be worth €3 million in the event of the company floating at a planned valuation of €80 million. O’Callaghan said this was “very optimistic” but he believed the company would be worth at least €15 million and this would give Bourke at least €570,000, allowing him to clear his Revenue debt. Bourke intends to pay Revenue €400 a week until this capital event has happened.

Earlier this month, XS Direct issued a public statement saying it had stopped accepting new business because of the non-renewal of its agent agreement with Arch Insurance. The company did not respond to queries about its future last week.

The PIA proposal notes that Bourke and his wife, Sarah Harte, have invested €185,000 in Trillium Leisure, the company behind the Berlin D2 bar that was closed in 2021 after a breach of Covid regulations when a barman was filmed pouring shots into customers’ mouths.

Bourke was being repaid his investment on a weekly basis before the bar closed. O’Callaghan said “the business is negotiating a re-opening with Gardai and the courts” and is setting up a settlement with Bourke.

O’Callaghan said Bourke had a 30-year career, where he employed thousands of people “and played his part in changing the culture of Dublin and elsewhere”.
                                                                    ADVERTISEMENT

“This included having the first truly open LGBT bar The Front Lounge, and The Panti Bar which was deeply involved in the equality referendum and Repeal the Eighth [amendment] movement,” he said.

“[Bourke’s] endeavours in the restaurant business were equally revolutionary. It is [his] desire to re-calibrate his finances through this PIA and to continue to work [in] a positive and constructive way for the rest of his career.”

Bourke receives €2,000 gross every fortnight from his ongoing employment with Panti Bar and €1,500 a month from room rental.
                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The Currency

SPOILER
                                                                      A row with Revenue over attempts to offset capital gains from the €7 million sale of the Bodega bar in Cork led to a bankruptcy petition against publican and restaurateur Jay Bourke, according to a proposed insolvency settlement put forward by the businessman.

Upward only rent reviews are also blamed for the entrepreneur losing five of his businesses, including Bewleys on Grafton Street, currently controlled by the property developer Johnny Ronan.

Bourke, a veteran of the hospitality industry, this week applied to the High Court to approve a write down of around €12.5 million in personal debt, in a six year personal insolvency arrangement (PIA) that will see him remain in his family home in Rathmines valued at €1.4 million.

The proposed deal also sketches out how Bourke may be in line for a windfall of up to €750,000 from a stock market flotation in the next three years arising from an investment in insurance business XS Direct. And how this will be used to make bulk payments in service of his debts.

The 55-year-old, a key figure in Dublin’s nightlife for over 30 years, personally owes around €13.7 million, more than half a million of which is due to the Revenue Commissioners.

While Revenue is amenable to the PIA, the scheme has been voted down by an investment fund owed over €12 million in a debt linked to Bellinter House, the boutique Meath hotel formerly owned by Bourke and the late concert promoter John Reynolds. The fate of the insolvency proposal now lies in the hands of the High Court.

The revolutionary

Bourke opened his first restaurant Wolfman Jacks in Rathmines in 1989. He went on to dominate the Dublin nightlife scene in the 1990s with a string of bars and restaurants including Ri Ra, The Globe, Odessa and Eden. Bourke claims credit for his part in changing the culture of the city with the first truly open LGBT bar The Front Lounge. “Our endeavors in the restaurant business were equally revolutionary,” he says in his PIA.

Outside of Dublin, Bourke ran The Bodega and The Savoy in Cork, Lunasa in London and the Cafe Bar Deli chain.

His business partner for years was Eoin Foyle.

Later ventures proved more problematic for the insolvent businessman including Bellinter House, which opened in 2006, the peak of the Celtic Tiger era, after a reported €16 million refurbishment. The operating company went into liquidation in 2010, sparking a court battle. The hotel was acquired by Irish businessman and Dragon’s Den star Barry O’Sullivan and a group of investors in 2016 for around €3 million.

Post the 2008 economic crash, Bourke is most readily associated with his failed recession era eaterie and bar Shebeen Chic, the successful Panti Bar on Capel Street and the Berlin bar.

In his personal insolvency application, Bourke said a main vulnerability of his hospitality ventures was that the leases all had upward only rent reviews. In this context, he says he lost five businesses including Bewleys of Grafton Street, Garavogue in Sligo and Eden in Temple Bar.

Other debts incurred include personal loans and bank guarantees he was unable to pay off in the wake of the crash. One of these personal debts is over €190,000. Among the list of creditors is law firm A&L Goodbody which is owed €22,500 in legal fees.

The future plan

Bourke, who has an academic background in economics, said he looked to move property on when prices were good. The Bodega Pub in Cork generated a capital gains tax bill of around €500,000 – a gain he said he tried to offset against other losses, such as Bellinter House, but he lost the argument against Revenue in the appeals tribunal and later in the Circuit Court.

When the CGT payment crystallized, Revenue instituted bankruptcy proceedings against Bourke. The proceedings were stalled to allow the entrepreneur put together a personal insolvency arrangement (PIA).

At a creditors’ meeting on October 28 last, the investment fund, owed a contingent debt of over €12 million in connection with Bellinter House, voted against the proposed scheme. The PIA did not pass.

As an unsecured creditor, the fund would receive 0.5 per cent of the debt under the PIA proposals. In bankruptcy, it risks receiving zero. The debt had previously been the subject of a court dispute.

The personal insolvency arrangement, devised by insolvency practitioner John O’Callaghan of KPMG, provides that Bourke will pay secured creditors Revenue and Bank of Ireland, owed around €68,000, in full. It is now under review by the High Court.

Bourke’s stated monthly earnings are €5,816, most of which comes from his Panti bar salary.

In total, the PIA envisages him forking out €695,000 by way of monthly repayments of €1,732 and a lump sum payment of €496,248.

But the full payoff is contingent on a number of investments coming good for the businessman by 2024, including a deal on a loan he advanced to the Berlin Bar on Dame Street which lost its license last May following Covid regulation breaches at a boozy brunch event the previous summer. Bourke and his wife put around €185,000 into operating company Trilium Leisure, currently said to be negotiating a reopening of the Berlin bar with gardai and the courts. The businessman understands he is in line for a settlement from the company.

A second investment that is expected to bring a sizeable return is the insurance business group XS Direct. According to the PIA documents, the management of XS Direct intend to float the company on the Stock Market in 2023. An €80 million valuation would yield a €3 million pay out to the restaurateur based on his shareholding. However O’Callaghan, the PIP, believes the projections are very optimistic and that a more likely return to Bourke on his circa €190,000 investment would be €570,000 to €750,000. Such a pay out would release €450,000 to clear his Revenue debt.

And if the XS Direct flotation doesn’t proceed? The PIP states: “If the Liquidity event does not happen at all, then the PIA will fail, and Revenue will have the right as all creditors will to proceed with a Bankruptcy.”

But in the meantime, Revenue would have received €400 a week for at least 3 years (€62,400 in reduction of the debt in 36 months) and “so will not be prejudiced in allowing the PIA to proceed”, O’Callaghan adds.
                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

That floatation proposal is optimistic at best

Comment

One from the Indo

SPOILER

Restaurateur Jay Bourke faces battle to get €12.2m write-off

Creditor lodges objection as it would get just €65,000 of what it is owed

Jay Bourke and his wife Sarah Harte. Photo: Tony Gavin
                                                                          Shane Phelan

January 04 2022 02:30 AM

Well-known publican and restaurateur Jay Bourke faces a battle to get court approval for a massive debt write-off, after a creditor owed €12.2million lodged an objection to the proposal.

Mr Bourke has debts totalling €13.7m, and it emerged in November he intended to ask the High Court to sanction a personal insolvency arrangement (PIA) that would wipe out around €12.5m of what he owes and allow him to keep his €1.4m family home in Rathmines, south Dublin.

However, the Irish Independent has learned the court has since been told his main creditor, Pepper Finance Corporation, is objecting.

Under the proposal submitted to the court, Pepper would receive just €65,000 of what it is owed. The debt stems from Mr Bourke’s involvement in Bellinter House, the Co Meath hotel he co-owned with the late music promoter John Reynolds.
                                                                          Read More
                                                                          It is understood Pepper will claim the proposed PIA is unfairly prejudicial to its interests and that it would get a better financial return if Mr Bourke (55) was declared bankrupt.

Pepper is also expected to argue that it is unreasonable for Mr Bourke and his wife to retain their home, given the scale of his indebtedness.

The Revenue Commissioners has already filed a petition to bankrupt Mr Bourke over an unpaid debt of €558,000, but this was adjourned to allow him seek protection from creditors and come up with the personal insolvency arrangement.

In November, Keith Farry, counsel for Mr Bourke’s personal insolvency practitioner John O’Callaghan of KPMG, told the court that both Revenue and Mr Bourke’s mortgage lender had agreed to the PIA.

Under the arrangement both the mortgage bank and the taxman would be paid off in full.

However, unsecured creditors such as Pepper would see debts owed to them significantly written down.

The matter is due back in court this month.

Mr Bourke has been in the pub, restaurant and hotels business since 1989, first opening the Wolfman Jack’s restaurant in Rathmines.

He went on to open Rí Rá nightclub, The Globe bar, the Front Lounge and Eden restaurant in Dublin, as well as Bodega and the Savoy in Cork, the Garavogue bar in Sligo, and the Café Bar Deli group.

At its peak, his group of pubs and restaurants employed more than 1,000 people.

His debt to Revenue stems from a capital gains tax liability of around €500,000 after he sold Bodega bar.

Mr Bourke attempted to offset this gain against the substantial loss in value of another asset he owned, Bellinter House.

However, his attempt to do so was opposed and he lost appeals at the Tax Appeals Commission and later in the Circuit Court.

Other debts relate to small bank loans he was unable to pay off or from personal guarantees he couldn’t honour following the financial crash in 2009.

He maintains that his companies were left vulnerable by the crash as the properties they leased had upward-only rent reviews.

In 2017 the High Court disqualified him from acting as a company director for seven years arising out of the liquidation of the former Shebeen Chic pub on South Great George’s Street in Dublin.

Mr Bourke was the manager of the Berlin D2 bar on Dame Street in Dublin when it was at the centre of controversy over a boozy brunch event in August 2020 at which social distancing regulations were breached,

The Berlin D2 incident led gardaí to successfully object to the renewal of its licence – a decision which is being appealed.
                                                                          Read More

Comment

Thanks all.
                                                                            Jungle telephone coming up with all kinds of theories today

Comment

That floatation proposal is optimistic at best
                                                                              Even if the numbers were not, the idea of anyone settling on something that might happen next year is a bit ridiculous.

Lol at the “and played his part in changing the culture of Dublin and elsewhere” as a good thing

Comment

Was hoping for more commentary on obvious nonce Andrew Windsor today. Looks like he still thinks that interview with Maitlis went well. Demanding a jury trial, when that is exactly what Guiffre has tried to get

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                  Was hoping for more commentary on obvious nonce Andrew Windsor today. Looks like he still thinks that interview with Maitlis went well. Demanding a jury trial, when that is exactly what Guiffre has tried to get

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Inadvertently read a spoiler for tomorrow's Wordle from a Japanese lad.

Having a bit of craic on the family WhatsApp groups saying 'I know this sounds mad, but I had a dream of tomorrow's word'

They've fallen for it. Can't bleedin wait for this.

Was gonna go to bed early and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                      Inadvertently read a spoiler for tomorrow's Wordle from a Japanese lad.

Having a bit of craic on the family WhatsApp groups saying 'I know this sounds mad, but I had a dream of tomorrow's word'

They've fallen for it. Can't bleedin wait for this.

Was gonna go to bed early and all.
                                                                                      Before dinner

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Before dinner
                                                                                        Just about to stick the scampi on, but got the oil too hot with the distractions. 265° it was.

Waiting for it to calm down

Comment

Have you moved onto Lewdle yet?

The lewd, crude and especially rude word guessing game.

'Swear' words only, both as the target and the guesses.

Comment

Exact wording of a letter home from school today:

[Your son] was very upset during an argument with another child and he bit himself on the hand and blamed the other child.

That's the type of shite that just ain't in the parenting manual.

Comment

This week's episode was easily the best episode of Boba Fett.
                                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                                              OK ok it was just an episode of The Mandalorian and squeezed in as the timeline made sense. Darksaber, Mandalorian Lore, new armour for Grogu, a classic ship. Loads to unpack.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                Exact wording of a letter home from school today:

That's the type of shite that just ain't in the parenting manual.
                                                                                                Ah that's just problem solving. Kid figured out a pathway out of a situation. He just, like all kids, hasn't yet learnt the nuances of social acceptance.

Comment

No longer the funniest man alive, RIP Barry Cryer

Quick-witted, inventive comedian and writer who was a longstanding panellist on BBC Radio 4’s I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Anyone seen any good documentaries recently? Non depressing, non sports, obv

Comment

Ahh ffs ..... 3 over!!!

SPOILER
                                                                                                      Last attempt was PERvY.
                                                                                                      Serves me right.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Interesting. Youll rattle some cages with that boxercise jibe not that i disagree although katas do teach discipline in movement . The Katas for 1st dan shoto kan are impressive imo
                                                                                                        Wouldn't expect the boxercise bit to be that controversial. If you do 1000s of jabs, crosses and hooks into the air at the local Flyefit, they'll start to look decent. You'll find a rhythm.
                                                                                                        But if you've never practiced the application that "boxing" on a person who was trying to a)avoid you, and b) punch you back, you probably little progress in terms of practical ability.
                                                                                                        I see that as the fundamental difference between Boxing Fitness classes and actual Boxing training. I think a lot of eastern martial arts have devolved in the Fitness category (some were maybe always there).

I agree kata's have a purpose. Movement, timing, balance, co-ordination. All important skills. But those skills should be applied in sparring, against resistance. I think the styles that only do kata/skills are severely limited in application. To the point that some of the skills start to drift from what is actually effective, as there is nothing to keep them in check.

As an example, this kind of complete nonsense

2,179 likes, 182 comments - mcdojolife on January 27, 2022: "Stacking bodies ➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖ @killcliff (Makes your drink hole..."

9,550 likes, 1,186 comments - mcdojolife on December 19, 2021: "Name this technique ➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖ @knuckle_sammys 20% off code:..."

Historically, I'd be a Kenpo guy and I'd largely agree.
                                                                                                        There's a lot of 'magic punch' type bullshit out there and a lot of statue like opponents for drills that I've seen over the years
                                                                                                        A ton of McDojo's with fat instructors.
                                                                                                        Wado/Shodo ultra wide low stances always seemed ripe for a kick to the balls for me. TKD's flappy legs, much the same for other reasons.
                                                                                                        It's a pity there isn't a wrestling/grappling tradition really in ireland as I think we'd have an aptitude for it.
                                                                                                        BJJ is class, but equally not the be all and end all as it's sometimes touted.

Kata/Drills/Forms etc has it's place imo. Muscle memory is pretty important when it comes to an actual fight.
                                                                                                        Partners that a total compliant are probably the really common issue is most/all dojos of a certain style. But the above instragram page is pretty eye opening for the nonsense that people are peddling. No touch knockdowns, chi/energy attacks. I find that level of compliance really boggling. what are people thinking while they are assisting these Grandmaster Sensei. It's cult levels of group delusion.
                                                                                                        TKD definitely exists and works are a full contact style. But you are correct that the vast majority is the useless flappy legs variety (as a result of the light touch rules). It just encourages poor martial ability imo. The perfect example being the gold medal DQ in last years olympics. Guy lunges in, with a sloppy haymaker, unprotected face, and gets knocked out. Ref judges the kick too hard and guy on the mat gets up to a gold medal (he absolutely played it up too).

BJJ is definitely not the be all. There are aspects that exist purely due to the sports meta, with no real application. Similar to TKD, if you train purely for sports, you'll have holes. As does any grappling that pretends strikes don't exist. But it's very easy to solve that. Put on some gloves and allow you partner to punch. You'll quickly figure out what works and how to adapt.

You might be surprised to know that Ireland actually had a traditional grappling for thousands of years. Most likely it was older than Hurling. Tailteann Games/Cúchulainn era stuff. Right up to the 1800s. It developed independently into a jacket wrestling style like Judo or Sambo. It made it's way to America and was pretty popular. George Washington being a famous practitioner. It seems to have died out in Ireland with the famine, and in America shortly after gave way to Catch-wrestling. A bit of a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                          My brother was in a Celtic Wrestling club in college (this sport maybe?) and represented Ireland in some pan-Celtic nations competition in Spain. Remember him describing it as similar to judo.
                                                                                                          The collar and elbow revival is pretty recent. Largely on the back of this podcast https://thousandholds.net/episode-1-...lar-and-elbow/ by an Irish grappler living in German. (Worth a listen for anyone is into Irish History/Wrestling/Sports History)
                                                                                                          They've had competitions on a small scale in Germany, Ireland and Iceland. But nothing like an international world championships with teams.
                                                                                                          If I had to guess I'd say you brother was doing Goureen. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouren ) . Came from the Celts/Gauls in Britany, so would fit. And they have a world championships. Scoring looks identical to judo.

Comment

A,double bogey 6, the shame.

Anyone from Sligo please check your PMs

Comment

This game is pretty fun also. It's a double wordle

Last edited by shrapnel; 28-01-22, 08:02.

Comment

Fundalk Friday

Wonder Spirit 5.00
                                                                                                                Crystal Dawn. 7.00

from 2 different sources

Comment

Funny story about how Limp Bizkip treated their fans terribly: https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/...kit_partnered/

Comment

A,double bogey 6, the shame.

Anyone from Sligo please check your PMs
                                                                                                                    Raging I had it spoilt, looked like a tough one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                      Anyone seen any good documentaries recently? Non depressing, non sports, obv
                                                                                                                      the alpinist is lovely if you enjoyed "free solo" and "the dawn wall", and if you haven't seen those, well then you're in for a treat!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

the alpinist is lovely if you enjoyed "free solo" and "the dawn wall", and if you haven't seen those, well then you're in for a treat!
                                                                                                                        Or very much not in the recent category but in the same genre as the above, "Touching the Void" is a great watch too for those that haven't seen it. I watched it again recently having not seen it since a cinema release nearly 20 years ago. Still enthralled me.

Comment

I have Currency ac if you want to give me a shout

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X