This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alocon View Post
    Same. Had to chase the first one and now have one pending from last week. There is a support mail on their site, not sure how quickly they will respond though
    Originally posted by Wesley Harms View Post
    Sent an email querying why it was taking so long and the agent was able to process it instantly. Email said something like ‘sorry we are busy but that’s done for you now’

Have had to email every time
    Cheers lads

Absolutely shit practice that you have to go to those lengths, but I'll do that now

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
      I like the office too.
      But limit my commute by 8+ hours a week and save office for friday after work pints.
      I wouldn't take a job in Dublin due to commuting primarily. Would take a great opportunity & €€€ to change my mind.. However if I only had to commute 2x days a week that would change things significantly.

Would you consider the heading in the opposite direction to Midlands, Kilkenny etc with those circumstances?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
        No no no no no no
        This is my nightmare. Where I live is going to be over run with irritants from Dublin if this comes to pass and they’ll destroy everything that makes this place worth living in, it will ruin swathes of the West coast
        Thinking further about this we now have the appalling vista of 32 loons popping up demanding Galway for the Galweigians, Cork for the Corkonians, Dublin for the GODs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
          PSV frothing at the mouth reading that.
          I rented a one bed out two weeks ago for the same price as my previous tenants who left a week earlier and had my pick of people. They were queueing out the door.

Make of that what you will, mind you the place was sale agreed in January and the buyer pulled out so will take it off the market for now and let the market settle before deciding to sell (and/or buy again).

Will let all the hand-wringing johnny-come-property-experts have their say then see what the market actually does. I've been through three significant recessions in 20 years, been made redundant three or four times in that period, bought twice at the top various booms, have seen negative equity three times (once for over a decade) and each time all I've wanted was my own space or more space.

Still standing and ready to go again when the dust settles, whatever way it settles. Life is too short.
          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 07-05-20, 18:49.

Comment

I've been seeing them go down, but I think it'll take a bit of time. GF's rent has decreased over 20%, housemate on daft atm looking for another share and seeing places getting lowered. Room went down 100 today she's looking at.
            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 07-05-20, 19:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
              I've been seeing them go down, but I think it'll take a bit of time. GF's rent has decreased over 20%, housemate on daft atm looking for another share and seeing places getting lowered. Room went down 100 today she's looking at.
              It makes sense that house sharing is going down. Everyone has fucked off home for the lockdown. Year is basically over for all students.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                It makes sense that house sharing is going down. Everyone has fucked off home for the lockdown. Year is basically over for all students.
                Yeah it's a lot easier for her now. GF isn't sharing but asked for a reduction and got it. I'd say more people will ask in time.The student accom places look dead now.

Comment

Got some different razor blades, just for yolo. Not expecting any to compare with my go to Feathers. Tried the croma yesterday and they were just about usable; not as bad as Derby, but close. Have high hopes for the Voskhod.

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 07-05-20, 21:35.
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    I've no knowledge of the area, but read The Phoenix Project recently and thought it was fascinating on how IT can be a competitive advantage. A surprisingly engaging book, as the ratings suggest.
                    Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                    Haven't read it but a friend recommended it me a while back. Must give it a spin.
                    It's on audile... a bit American but the concepts are sound... a lot of it you would know if you are in a production/logistics background... waste is bad, bottlenecks worse lol office politics in that book... cant remember the market mangers name (read it like 4 years ago) but SHE was a keyboard warrior business Karen from Facebook.... wonder why they made he to be a women, taught that was a bit strange unless this is actually based on real events ... loll coilcam spoliers

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                    That level inequality was there before Covid TBF. Doesn't take long, in Dublin City, to see someone wearing 10K including bags and bling, walk alongside a homeless junkie pushing a pram.
                    Originally posted by Keane View Post
                    We just had a meeting this morning with the top guy in our site for the company I work for. He said based on what he's hearing from the highest levels the feeling is that there is no prospect of work going back to how it was, regardless of treatments or vaccines coming along for COVID. He said the days of working five days a week in the office are seen as being over, business travel is never likely to return to anything approaching previous levels etc.

I got the impression the basis for this feeling is more based on what they have observed in terms of efficiency, productivity, costs etc over the last couple of months than really anything to do with the virus.

The upshot of this was that when asked what opportunities he saw arising from this sentiment he said that without wanting to speculate too much he considers it essentially a given that any of us will basically be able to relocate to anywhere in Ireland we wish without any pushback. It's not much of a stretch to think that would extend to anywhere in the same timezone. If you removed the geographical magnetism from the physical office you basically live anywhere as long as everyone agrees on what hours they are going to be available online.

It opens up a huge range of lifestyle options to me that were never all that realistic before, and could be amazing once the restrictions are in the rear-view mirror. I imagine if my crowd are saying this, as a fairly conservative example of the tech industry, the more forward thinking companies must as well. If that proves to be the case it will be very interesting to see the effects the freedom for large numbers of fairly wealthy people to live anywhere will have on different parts of the country.
                    Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                    I feel like the only thing that will make a decent % people not go to the office is if there is no office. So many people with kids longing for the office.

Making the decision to be officeless is a big decision.

Also the effect on company culture which despite the increasing eye rolling given the HR types focus on it is pretty important.

I wonder what the long term effects of officeless/ non face time work over a large data set would be? Is 3 months long term?

I can work from anywhere and have no kids so I’m loving this but what % if the workforce fit my profile?

I don’t know if we will ever be officeless, there is something to be said for having a communal space for a workforce. I think. Maybe not.

Interesting times in any case.
                    Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                    No interest in working from home. Like the daily routine of leaving the house and miss interacting with people in 3 dimensions.

While working at home has it benefits, I don't think now is the time to make a real do i like it/hate it call as it doesn't really reflect real working at home, obv outside factors playing on peoples mind (covid19) and also no childcare or schools, plus working from home is about flexi time, couple of hours in the morning get young people of to school do solid amount of work take break when children come home finish off work repeat... what I would think is good is if you wanted to work 3/4 days from home and then tomorrow you decide you want to go in, then go in... but this would only be for businesses that have a physical presence anyway... like manufacturing or service driven businesses.

coming to the conclusions that my business is fecked completely 80% of what I do was being on site with clients tuning what they did.... have to re-think strategy now... although looking forward to it... it will be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                      Got some different razor blades, just for yolo. Not expecting any to compare with my go to Feathers. Tried the croma yesterday and they were just about usable; not as bad as Derby, but close. Have high hopes for the Voskhod.

Feathers ftw...Those Gillettes are lethal.
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-05-20, 22:17.

Comment

Feathers ftw...Those Gillette's are lethal.
                        +1 million for feathers

Asking what razors you use really should be an interview question in any job
                        If the answer is Gillette Mach 3 , fusion or disposables show them the door and berate them for wasting your time

Comment

Bought a 'Harry's' starter set with one blade in Boots Jervis before Xmas. Been to about 5 different Boots since and other places and can't find anyone else that stocks it for a refill. Excellent shave.

Been meaning to buy online but keep forgetting. Been using that starter blade since then.
                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Thinking further about this we now have the appalling vista of 32 loons popping up demanding Galway for the Galweigians, Cork for the Corkonians, Dublin for the GODs etc.
                            You’ll be one of them the first time some dub in a pub In dingle gets a Kerry game switched over to A Leinster rugger game.
                            Thats where this could lead

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                              Leo laying into Mary Lou in good style in the Dail

Pity he couldn't have managed to land this type of knockout punch during the election.

Strange timing to be showing her rank hypocrisy and ineptitude up when it is more likely to have her running back to Posh boy Murphy and 'Richer than you' Barrett desperately trying to cobble together a minority government of those who 'Won The Election © Every not very smart shinner
                              I dunno about this. 20 years ago we put SF under huge pressure to accept that cumbersome Stormont assembly concept via the GFA. It's reasonable to say it wouldn't have been the first choice of the party or its 'backers' but they ultimately went along with it.

It seems a bit petty to now effectively blame SF for the limitations of that assembly that was foisted on them - limitations such that it can't set minimum wages or social welfare rates. Remember they're the one large party on the island who've never backed away from the wish that things like the Northern Ireland minimum wage and social welfare rates should be set from Dublin as part of a unified republic.

As for his parting shot about 'not blaming the Tories and London as things would be worse without their money'. This doesn't sit well with me either.
                              Plenty here (on IPB) have been comfortable blaming the Tories for the abject poverty of the sink-estates of England, the nonsense of Brexit, the shadowy people who get mega-rich via the disaster capitalism of Tories.
                              If they bear responsibility for the poverty and foodbanks of Middlesboro, Burnley and Glasgow, then I don't see how Leo can absolve them of the same issues in NI.

Comment

Went with a curry from Bombay Pantry tonight, 1st time in 6 weeks that I didn't cook for myself. Man, it was brilliant... Really miss eating out.
                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Looking for recommendations for decent lawnmower .
                                  Do feathers do a flymo type o thing. ?

Comment

You’ll be one of them the first time some dub in a pub In dingle gets a Kerry game switched over to A Leinster rugger game.
                                    No tvs in the good pubs in Dingle thanks be to Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                      I dunno about this. 20 years ago we put SF under huge pressure to accept that cumbersome Stormont assembly concept via the GFA. It's reasonable to say it wouldn't have been the first choice of the party or its 'backers' but they ultimately went along with it.

It seems a bit petty to now effectively blame SF for the limitations of that assembly that was foisted on them - limitations such that it can't set minimum wages or social welfare rates. Remember they're the one large party on the island who've never backed away from the wish that things like the Northern Ireland minimum wage and social welfare rates should be set from Dublin as part of a unified republic.

As for his parting shot about 'not blaming the Tories and London as things would be worse without their money'. This doesn't sit well with me either.
                                      Plenty here (on IPB) have been comfortable blaming the Tories for the abject poverty of the sink-estates of England, the nonsense of Brexit, the shadowy people who get mega-rich via the disaster capitalism of Tories.
                                      If they bear responsibility for the poverty and foodbanks of Middlesboro, Burnley and Glasgow, then I don't see how Leo can absolve them of the same issues in NI.
                                      Relating to it being petty about stormont, the min wage thing stands. The welfare cuts do not.
                                      Stormont had that power but chose to relinquish it in order to deflect blame on Westminster
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Anyone else fucking love PSV?

Comment

Go to Dingle a fair bit as a mate lives there but remember being down some time in early 00s sitting in Bar na Sraide having a pint. Kerry had beaten Dubs in a match, probably league but not sure.

Now I couldnt give a fuck about GAA really tbh but ended up having afternoon pints at a table beside an ol' cute Kerry hoor.

"Did you see the match" he says after hearing my accent.

"No" says I, "But I think Kerry won".

Now this lad was about 85 minimum, and that's being generous.

3 times we do the same dance with me talking louder every time as i think the cunt is half deaf.

Third time I cop him winking at the barman. Cunt.

Love Kerry

Comment

Anybody know somewhere online I could get cheap small dumbbells or adjustable dumbbells delivered? Checked a few places via google but cant find anything in stock or that looks reasonable

Comment

+1 million for feathers

If the answer is Gillette Mach 3 , fusion or disposables show them the door and berate them for wasting your time
                                              Ah, I wouldn't go that far. Though I was surprised when Zuutroy mentioned giving up on de shaving because it was too time consuming. It really is my favourite new to me, old thing ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Valor View Post
                                                Anybody know somewhere online I could get cheap small dumbbells or adjustable dumbbells delivered? Checked a few places via google but cant find anything in stock or that looks reasonable
                                                Yeah, there's fuck all on Amazon, so I'd assume there's fuck all available.

Comment

Usually loads going secondhand on adverts, gumtree, etc. They're usually used for 6 months then just gather dust, so should be able to pick some up for next to nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                    Looking for recommendations for decent lawnmower .
                                                    Do feathers do a flymo type o thing. ?
                                                    Really depends on the size of your lawn - electric for small, petrol for larger. I have a small amount of grass to cut so I use a small cheapo flymo electric and 10m extension lead. Perfectly fine for what I need. Would not want to cut a big lawn with it as I'd be emptying grass every few mins. Almost zero maintenance compared to petrol, plug and play. When the DIY shops open again I'm thinking of buying an electric rake/scarifier to pull out all the moss and thatch. Although the missus is thinking of planting a load of veg so there may be no lawn left to deal with if she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                      Relating to it being petty about stormont, the min wage thing stands. The welfare cuts do not.
                                                      Stormont had that power but chose to relinquish it in order to deflect blame on Westminster
                                                      https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...35441?mode=amp
                                                      They spent about 12 months opposing the (Cameron government's) Welfare Reform Bill, and it was leading to a 'the assembly will be shut down' crisis. Their power-sharing partners the DUP and Alliance Party were happy to implement this bill.
                                                      And 20 years ago we said to SF that they had to work with these parties.

Anyway, if they'd kept their opposition to this bill and it hadn't passed, it's not as if Stormont would suddenly have had the power to increase welfare payments to ROI rates during this crisis. They can't independently borrow money like we can, as overall financial policy is still set from Westminster.

I think this is clearly Leo trying to blame SF for things which are out of their control, and to a good extent they are out of their control because parties like FG convinced them to go into such a limited power-sharing agreement.
                                                      So it's pretty two-faced of him.

Comment

+1 million for feathers

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Have got some gear off these lads and very happy with it. Would probably take a little longer in current circumstances for delivery but would recommend them.

The dumbbell is the probably the only type of fitness equipment that cannot be missing in any home gym. You might think that you can only use dumbbells to perform isolation movements, likes biceps curls or triceps extensions, but the truth is you can replace a barbell with dumbbells in most compound movements, like squats, deadlifts and even bench presses.

Comment

No leaving cert it seems. Replaced by predicted grades put forward by teachers, overseen by principal and school management.

Talk to Joe.

Comment

Some volume of self-indulgent stuff on Twitter from people whose teachers told them they'd never amount to anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                Sean O'Rourkes last show presently. Always enjoyed him in this slot.
                                                                Hard to see how they are going to be able to find anyone capable of keeping close to his standard from the internal pool. It will probably be Claire Byrne and while she is very capable I don't see her having the depth and range that Sean has shown.
                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

No leaving cert it seems. Replaced by predicted grades put forward by teachers, overseen by principal and school management.

Talk to Joe.
                                                                    Some result for the students. Even the biggest of dossers and dopes will be scored more favourable than than they would have gotten.

Comment

Every LC student should of done drama.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                                          Every LC student should of done drama.
                                                                          You should have done grammar chadley

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                            Some result for the students. Even the biggest of dossers and dopes will be scored more favourable than than they would have gotten.
                                                                            That’s no no real benefit though.
                                                                            If everyone is bump up a graded, the relatively ranking is unchanged.

A few lick-arses will get grades they don’t deserve.
                                                                            But the guys who do nothing, until the exams will be screwed over.

Comment

...

Comment

As the real currency provided by the LC is points for the CAO system which isn't exactly perfect I don't really think it's that big a deal to cancel the LC. I would guess the vast majority of people will end up where they wanted to be anyway.

On the other hand, with ~22 community transmissions of COVID-19 in the country yesterday and teenagers accounting for probably around zero serious cases I find it bizarre that they've cancelled what must be the most easily socially distance-able major event imaginable which was due begin in 82 days' time.

Comment

Like, they started reopening schools in Denmark three weeks ago. We're cancelling the most important exams in the education system that aren't due to start for three months.

Again, I don't really think it's a big deal to skip the LC for the year, I just find it bizarre.

Comment

Really dont get what's the big deal regarding the leaving Cert, the school year has not been completed, everyone re-sits next year!

No matter what you do people will complain to try and game the system... think the above is the fairest way out of it!!

Philip

Comment

First of all that leads to no first years in university. Secondly where do all the 5 year olds due to start school go?

Comment

As the real currency provided by the LC is points for the CAO system which isn't exactly perfect I don't really think it's that big a deal to cancel the LC. I would guess the vast majority of people will end up where they wanted to be anyway.

On the other hand, with ~22 community transmissions of COVID-19 in the country yesterday and teenagers accounting for probably around zero serious cases I find it bizarre that they've cancelled what must be the most easily socially distance-able major event imaginable which was due begin in 82 days' time.
                                                                                        I don't think the event itself is the problem, but the preparation for it. Some students at a disadvantage etc. Great result for universities though.

Comment

...

Comment

It's bad enough every year having to listen to the inane coverage of the LC, there's going to be whinging for years about this.

Comment

75 year anniversary of VE Day today.

Those are some strange-ass waves\salutes

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

First of all that leads to no first years in university. Secondly where do all the 5 year olds due to start school go?
                                                                                                They go to bloody school.

Comment

...

Comment

Confusingly held on different days across Europe. I guess commemorating 'end of occupation' rather than 'victory'.

Interesting thing to ponder on today as we sit, generally comfortably enough, under lockdown and think about how much worse global war was.

Entire global death toll for covid was probably a bad week on the Eastern Front.

Comment

Have to say Europe Day has largely passed me by.

Good idea though.

Comment

Bear in mind that predicted grades is absolutely the most-hassle situation for the Dept of Education. Probably up to three years of lawsuits that they will have to personally defend. Running the regular LC leads to no legal hassle. So the fact that they are going for the most-hassle situation suggests it is genuinely being made with the interest of students in mind.
                                                                                                        Can the government just bring in legislation that states "it is what it is"

Pay off a few high court judges to suppress the first challenge.
                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

They are missing out on a fundamental rite of passage TBF. Leaving cert anxiety is as Irish as falling into nettles with shorts on.

Comment

Bear in mind that predicted grades is absolutely the most-hassle situation for the Dept of Education. Probably up to three years of lawsuits that they will have to personally defend. Running the regular LC leads to no legal hassle. So the fact that they are going for the most-hassle situation suggests it is genuinely being made with the interest of students in mind.
                                                                                                            It could be a decision being made based on an increasingly weird-seeming level of conservatism in the medical advice.

Comment

Bitcoin is probably going to broach 10k usd today, and stay that way for a while. Anyone punting on the halving?

Comment

Talk to Joe.
                                                                                                                My sister's English teacher hated her for no reasons except his own pettiness. She never got higher than a C on any assignment in his class. She got an A1 in her actual exam.
                                                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

just give everyone top marks. things will sort themselves out in due course. it might also prove life changing in a good way to a few people. Let unis select on interview.

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                                        My sister's English teacher hated her for no reasons except his own pettiness. She never got higher than a C on any assignment in his class. She got an A1 in her actual exam.
                                                                                                                        i called a teacher a cunt and a whore (she used to sleep around with students) because she fucked up my uni applications, and I didn't get a single interview with a UK uni (other than cambridge which i royally fucked up ).

I got expelled...again.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                                          Seems like that worked out beautifully then.

Maybe he had metagame that your sister didn't quite appreciate.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X