X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by brianmc View Post
      I'd better not claim the spot to be mine but the hives are... I could spend all day just hanging around up there.

I think you could easily charge the people a dollar and a half to see 'em.
      A friend of my brothers was starting a few hives a few years ago, up in the grounds of the mental hospital afair, im sure its a small enough world, B.E. ?
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
        A friend of my brothers was starting a few hives a few years ago, up in the grounds of the mental hospital afair, im sure its a small enough world, B.E. ?
        We all had hives as kids . A right of passage in our clan. Da mudder reckoned it was from eggs but that made no sense to me . Cleared up quickly enough . Perhaps the lawn grotto helped with that

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
          You mentioned it before. I've just googled the project and I don't know him but we have mutual aquaintances alright. We may even have crossed paths. I'm not very involved in the associations for the last couple of years.

Comment

Lovely little slice of history. Mad how modern Limerick looks for 1935.

Sound on.

Seeing as everyone liked yesterdays video I colourised another. Round The Houses'. Cars race through Limerick streets (1935). Source: British Pathé Colourised using DeOldify.
            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

The Monash Outdoor Education shed is awesome, aside from one feature - the office. We asked for it to be outfitted with basic shelving and a long desk. When ...

Comment

I'm not very involved in the associations for the last couple of years.
                Were your beekeeping ideas too radical for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  I've no knowledge of the area, but read The Phoenix Project recently and thought it was fascinating on how IT can be a competitive advantage. A surprisingly engaging book, as the ratings suggest.
                  Haven't read it but a friend recommended it me a while back. Must give it a spin.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                    they're a hive of radicalism
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                      Lovely little slice of history. Mad how modern Limerick looks for 1935.

Sound on.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lime...9777828311708/
                      Some incredible changes for the worse over the course of the century in terms of the amazing buildings they demolished and the absolutely appalling stuff they replaced them with. Still happening in the city centre despite it being 'protected'.

Sadly they never seem to have changed the road layout back from the circuit designed for that vid and you still have a city centre racetrack of all huge wide streets with three lanes in the same direction. It's fucking deadly.

Comment

Surreal to throw an eye on dublin rental markets and see the most basic 1 beds still averaging about 1500. Is the demand still that high or are owners a bit stubborn to new reality or somewhere in the middle?

Gonna be a frightening juxtaposition between the unaffected masses in tech industry on nosebleed salaries and masses unemployed, prob start to see South African esque social issues creeping in quickly
                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                          Gonna be a frightening juxtaposition between the unaffected masses in tech industry on nosebleed salaries and masses unemployed, prob start to see South African esque social issues creeping in quickly
                          presume you're planning your exit so?

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank08 View Post
                            Not sure if this is the thread for this post but it’s me moaning so maybe it is

Have had my pokerstars account restricted and a pop up message of contacting customer support to sort it when I attempt to login

I can’t get In to the live chat feature as can’t login and have tried email and twitter to get help and have had zero luck,any ideas or do I just wait it out?? I have money in my stars account also which is just adding to the frustration
                            Yeah same thing happened to me. Took them 2 weeks to reply to my email but once they did my account was closed and money refunded in 48 hours. Only thing is you'll get raped on their exchange rates.

Best thing to do is just wait it out. They will 100% refund you, they're just the nut worst cunts to deal with

Comment

Surreal to throw an eye on dublin rental markets and see the most basic 1 beds still averaging about 1500. Is the demand still that high or are owners a bit stubborn to new reality or somewhere in the middle?

PSV frothing at the mouth reading that.

Comment

The parasites aren’t worried about the new reality anyway

Comment

Just had a look in the golf section on Boards. Jesus christ it is in meltdown. The entitlement and bitterness of some people is incredible in there. Doing nothing for the stereotype that golf is bound too.

GUI statement coming tomorrow. Should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                    Just had a look in the golf section on Boards. Jesus christ it is in meltdown. The entitlement and bitterness of some people is incredible in there. Doing nothing for the stereotype that golf is bound too.

I’m inside the 5K for my club
                                    If I snitch on all the outside 5Kers and should be cocooning crew I’ll have it to myself

Comment

PSV frothing at the mouth reading that.
                                      Massive social unrest is a given at this stage surely
                                      They are already making noises about cutting covid payments add in bailouts for undeserving parasites in the corporate arena and it’ll blow.

When are they going to start putting their hands in people’s pension pots again?

Comment

Pretty cool little vid:

You can buy a paddle, or buy wood to make a paddle, but what about making one from junk? Collecting junk wood found between my train station and my office, t...

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                          Fucking radicals.

There's three national organisations now. There was one when I started 10 years ago. The drama and politics are cringe-worthy and very frustrating.

Comment

I'm 4.85km as the crow files
                                            Fore!

Comment

There was a bunch of auld lads smacking golf balls on the playing fields in St Annes yesterday evening. While people were playing\walking through said fields.

I was about to politely tell them to fuck off but was beaten to it by a very large East European guy with his top off. I'm sure it would have been a close call in terms of the intimidation factor but they beat a hasty retreat in any case.

Comment

Fucking radicals.

There's three national organisations now. There was one when I started 10 years ago. The drama and politics are cringe-worthy and very frustrating.
                                                do you not get a buzz out of it?

Comment

That level inequality was there before Covid TBF. Doesn't take long, in Dublin City, to see someone wearing 10K including bags and bling, walk alongside a homeless junkie pushing a pram.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                    I’m inside the 5K for my club
                                                    If I snitch on all the outside 5Kers and should be cocooning crew I’ll have it to myself
                                                    For all the apparent Sportsmanship, Golf really is a sport for selfish bastards . There is no death horrible enough for a slow 4 baller that wont let you play through or some feckers who repeatedly wait for the green to clear when 250 yards back or equivalent distance for a 10 yard duffer . With that in mind I like your 'shouldn't these fuckers be cocooning ' stance. Then we go after the underlying condition bastards

I'm too nice though. I'll eat a handful of rape seed to get the gander up before teeing off. (Thanks for the tip Brian)
                                                    Last edited by Solksjaer!; 07-05-20, 14:22.

Comment

That level inequality was there before Covid TBF. Doesn't take long, in Dublin City, to see someone wearing 10K including bags and bling, walk alongside a homeless junkie pushing a pram.
                                                      Sometimes in the same family . Not joking .

Comment

We just had a meeting this morning with the top guy in our site for the company I work for. He said based on what he's hearing from the highest levels the feeling is that there is no prospect of work going back to how it was, regardless of treatments or vaccines coming along for COVID. He said the days of working five days a week in the office are seen as being over, business travel is never likely to return to anything approaching previous levels etc.

I got the impression the basis for this feeling is more based on what they have observed in terms of efficiency, productivity, costs etc over the last couple of months than really anything to do with the virus.

The upshot of this was that when asked what opportunities he saw arising from this sentiment he said that without wanting to speculate too much he considers it essentially a given that any of us will basically be able to relocate to anywhere in Ireland we wish without any pushback. It's not much of a stretch to think that would extend to anywhere in the same timezone. If you removed the geographical magnetism from the physical office you basically live anywhere as long as everyone agrees on what hours they are going to be available online.

It opens up a huge range of lifestyle options to me that were never all that realistic before, and could be amazing once the restrictions are in the rear-view mirror. I imagine if my crowd are saying this, as a fairly conservative example of the tech industry, the more forward thinking companies must as well. If that proves to be the case it will be very interesting to see the effects the freedom for large numbers of fairly wealthy people to live anywhere will have on different parts of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                          We just had a meeting this morning with the top guy in our site for the company I work for. He said based on what he's hearing from the highest levels the feeling is that there is no prospect of work going back to how it was, regardless of treatments or vaccines coming along for COVID. He said the days of working five days a week in the office are seen as being over, business travel is never likely to return to anything approaching previous levels etc.

I got the impression the basis for this feeling is more based on what they have observed in terms of efficiency, productivity, costs etc over the last couple of months than really anything to do with the virus.

The upshot of this was that when asked what opportunities he saw arising from this sentiment he said that without wanting to speculate too much he considers it essentially a given that any of us will basically be able to relocate to anywhere in Ireland we wish without any pushback. It's not much of a stretch to think that would extend to anywhere in the same timezone. If you removed the geographical magnetism from the physical office you basically live anywhere as long as everyone agrees on what hours they are going to be available online.

It opens up a huge range of lifestyle options to me that were never all that realistic before, and could be amazing once the restrictions are in the rear-view mirror. I imagine if my crowd are saying this, as a fairly conservative example of the tech industry, the more forward thinking companies must as well. If that proves to be the case it will be very interesting to see the effects the freedom for large numbers of fairly wealthy people to live anywhere will have on different parts of the country.
                                                          A lot of companies already have this. My boss lives somewhere in rural Missouri.

Comment

Hopfully big conferences are a thing of past anyway. I used to work for a state agency. The amount of money spent on conferences, including travel and accommodation, was embarrassing. Conference wankers tended to be work shy, incompetent blow holes.

Video conferencing FTW.

Comment

Absolutely but when the many who were scraping by before fall under the poverty line now, former things like frustration or even bitterness and begrudgery will now take on a more visable and problematic edge imo.
                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

I feel like the only thing that will make a decent % people not go to the office is if there is no office. So many people with kids longing for the office.

Making the decision to be officeless is a big decision.

Also the effect on company culture which despite the increasing eye rolling given the HR types focus on it is pretty important.

I wonder what the long term effects of officeless/ non face time work over a large data set would be? Is 3 months long term?

I can work from anywhere and have no kids so I’m loving this but what % if the workforce fit my profile?

I don’t know if we will ever be officeless, there is something to be said for having a communal space for a workforce. I think. Maybe not.

Interesting times in any case.
                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

. I imagine if my crowd are saying this, as a fairly conservative example of the tech industry, the more forward thinking companies must as well. If that proves to be the case it will be very interesting to see the effects the freedom for large numbers of fairly wealthy people to live anywhere will have on different parts of the country.
                                                                  No no no no no no
                                                                  This is my nightmare. Where I live is going to be over run with irritants from Dublin if this comes to pass and they’ll destroy everything that makes this place worth living in, it will ruin swathes of the West coast

Comment

Ideally for me I like a place where I go to the office once or twice a week. A friend lives in Sligo making wanker bread all day while working for Oracle in Dublin, goes up there now and again for a day. Very nice lifestyle for him.
                                                                    His wife is a specialty nurse that works 2 days a week in Dublin as she gets as much as 5 days as a nurse in Sligo.

Comment

Plenty of noise in my place to the effect that home working isn’t the dream it’s painted out to be
                                                                      Now that may be coloured by being trapped at home with kids/teenagers of various ages

Comment

No interest in working from home. Like the daily routine of leaving the house and miss interacting with people in 3 dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                          do you not get a buzz out of it?
                                                                          I gave it 30 minutes but I still can't let myself thank this post.

Comment

No no no no no no
                                                                            This is my nightmare. Where I live is going to be over run with irritants from Dublin if this comes to pass and they’ll destroy everything that makes this place worth living in, it will ruin swathes of the West coast
                                                                            I didn't say good, I said interesting!

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                            Ideally for me I like a place where I go to the office once or twice a week. A friend lives in Sligo making wanker bread all day while working for Oracle in Dublin, goes up there now and again for a day. Very nice lifestyle for him.
                                                                            His wife is a specialty nurse that works 2 days a week in Dublin as she gets as much as 5 days as a nurse in Sligo.
                                                                            Before all this started I would have thought I couldn't stand the idea of working from home as much as a day a week. As it started to progress I found that I was getting into it and starting to quite like it. I've gone from thinking about WFH one day a week to thinking about going to the office one day a week - now I'm at the point where I'm thinking of everything I could do if I only needed to turn up to the office once a month. Heading to west Clare or Connemara for six weeks in the summer, spending weeks at a time at home in Kerry or where my fiancé is from in Tipp. Even spending weeks at a time in cities abroad (or even at home) when the mood takes you. Just seems like huge potential for deciding what lifestyle you want and pursuing it.

All on the assumption I don't end up embarrassed about that post where I said how stupid I thought the idea of society collapsing was. Although if I have cause to be embarrassed I'll probably have other things to worry about.

Comment

I gave it 30 minutes but I still can't let myself thank this post.
                                                                              that stung a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                I noticed that the bees were far more noticeable this past week, you post has made me realise that the uptick is correlated with 25 acres of rape coming into bloom this past week. Is there a link?
                                                                                It's pretty much on the other side of the road to you, right? Maybe so then. I wouldn't expect to see much more than a very localised effect.

Comment

Leo laying into Mary Lou in good style in the Dail

Pity he couldn't have managed to land this type of knockout punch during the election.

Strange timing to be showing her rank hypocrisy and ineptitude up when it is more likely to have her running back to Posh boy Murphy and 'Richer than you' Barrett desperately trying to cobble together a minority government of those who 'Won The Election © Every not very smart shinner

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 07-05-20, 15:29.
                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Im trying to keep up with the thread but it's impossible. The meltdowns people are having is incredible.

Im 25k away from my club so no go for me for a while.

That guy Greebo is the GOAT troll. He's up there with PSV for me.

Comment

From chatting to my boss it will be a long time before everyone is back to the office full time. Probably 2 days on-site for me, then next 2 days for my colleague. Boss on-site alongside me and colleague 1 day each. However in manufacturing a large number of the workforce still have to be physically on-site to run production and logistics. Keeping these people socially distant and safe is key for us. We're still producing for healthcare sector as normal but automotive/industrial production is shut down until UK and mainland Europe factories open back up. We recently started making faceshields which has brought a few people back to work.

Comment

...
                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I didn't say good, I said interesting!

Before all this started I would have thought I couldn't stand the idea of working from home as much as a day a week. As it started to progress I found that I was getting into it and starting to quite like it. I've gone from thinking about WFH one day a week to thinking about going to the office one day a week - now I'm at the point where I'm thinking of everything I could do if I only needed to turn up to the office once a month. Heading to west Clare or Connemara for six weeks in the summer, spending weeks at a time at home in Kerry or where my fiancé is from in Tipp. Even spending weeks at a time in cities abroad (or even at home) when the mood takes you. Just seems like huge potential for deciding what lifestyle you want and pursuing it.

All on the assumption I don't end up embarrassed about that post where I said how stupid I thought the idea of society collapsing was. Although if I have cause to be embarrassed I'll probably have other things to worry about.
                                                                                          I've always wanted to try it and honestly find it easy to get work done as I have no kids and it's just so much less stressful being at home, not commuting etc, jsut more relaxing with my music blaring, cooking when I want etc.
                                                                                          I usually am out every evening doing hobbies so it's not like I'd miss people.

Another friend of mine is often just travelling since she can work at home. One week she will be in NYC, another in Thailand doing a Muay Thai course and just working whenever. Have no idea what her job is, just realised haha.

Comment

A lot of companies already have this. My boss lives somewhere in rural Missouri.
                                                                                            You'd have to question their judgement on this.

Comment

No no no no no no
                                                                                              They'll go back when they realise how much it rains
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                                Im trying to keep up with the thread but it's impossible. The meltdowns people are having is incredible.

Im 25k away from my club so no go for me for a while.

That guy Greebo is the GOAT troll. He's up there with PSV for me.
                                                                                                Yeah. I only pop in a few times a year but he's always in there winding people right up. No idea how he has not been fucked out.

He used to be a mod i think.

Comment

Missus workplace said it will be September earliest before they even think about going back to the office. WFH permanently has been put forward for those that want it. Easy for us, no kids and like to do our own thing anyway. Her colleagues with kids cant wait for the office to reopen.

Comment

Plenty of noise in my place to the effect that home working isn’t the dream it’s painted out to be
                                                                                                    Now that may be coloured by being trapped at home with kids/teenagers of various ages
                                                                                                    We are both working full time from home now with a 17 month old. It is pretty near impossible for us to get what we need to get done during 'normal working hours' but wont see any changes until childcare up and running properly again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                      wow!
                                                                                                      Jaybers. Well said imo.

That was the riposte of a man who's been working crazy hours, has had enough bullshit and knows he's only Taoiseach for a few more days. Should have done more of that before the election!

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                        yeah I'm already seeing this as a soft target.
                                                                                                        The stigma of remote working is dead and gone.
                                                                                                        Give me the option of a bigger place to live and set up a decent work / life balance
                                                                                                        and hit the office for meetings.
                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                          Leo laying into Mary Lou in good style in the Dail

Pity he couldn't have managed to land this type of knockout punch during the election.

Strange timing to be showing her rank hypocrisy and ineptitude up when it is more likely to have her running back to Posh boy Murphy and 'Richer than you' Barrett desperately trying to cobble together a minority government of those who 'Won The Election © Every not very smart shinner

Good punishment beating but he overplayed the Facebook /food parcel outrage

Last edited by Guest; 07-05-20, 16:37.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                            yeah I'm already seeing this as a soft target.
                                                                                                            The stigma of remote working is dead and gone.
                                                                                                            Give me the option of a bigger place to live and set up a decent work / life balance
                                                                                                            and hit the office for meetings.
                                                                                                            I genuinely don't mind going to the office at all, in fact I am more productive there as I don't have to attempt parental and animal control functions.

Probably missing out on a lot of business travel though and that is one thing I don't miss at all. Our client 'likes to see us in person', that has obviously gone by the wayside and has made fuck all difference as we adjusted instantly.

Comment

Anyone here ever withdrew from Pokio?

Are they very slow?

My docs have definitely been verified on it before - Two withdrawals pending 5+ days now

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post

Are they very slow?

My docs have definitely been verified on it before - Two withdrawals pending 5+ days now
                                                                                                                Same. Had to chase the first one and now have one pending from last week. There is a support mail on their site, not sure how quickly they will respond though

Comment

137 new confirmed cases today. Probably vast majority outside of the influence of normies. They're surely going to have to accelerate the exit from restrictions.

EDIT: Yeah just see on Twitter 22 cases in the general population. Time to let people start getting back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post

Are they very slow?

Originally posted by alocon View Post
                                                                                                                    Same. Had to chase the first one and now have one pending from last week. There is a support mail on their site, not sure how quickly they will respond though
                                                                                                                    Sent an email querying why it was taking so long and the agent was able to process it instantly. Email said something like ‘sorry we are busy but that’s done for you now’

Have had to email every time

Comment

137 new confirmed cases today. Probably vast majority outside of the influence of normies. They're surely going to have to accelerate the exit from restrictions.

EDIT: Yeah just see on Twitter 22 cases in the general population. Time to let people start getting back to work.

https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/sta...37801898541059
                                                                                                                      Thought this was a good article
                                                                                                                      Ministers are looking at how to ease the lockdown. How cautious should they be?

Coronavirus: Is it time to free the healthy from restrictions?

Comment

Jaybers. Well said imo.

That was the riposte of a man who's been working crazy hours, has had enough bullshit and knows he's only Taoiseach for a few more days. Should have done more of that before the election!
                                                                                                                        Pity he went off the rails a little with stormont jibe.
                                                                                                                        The whole thrust of his argument will be lost over the minimum wage bit.
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I genuinely don't mind going to the office at all, in fact I am more productive there as I don't have to attempt parental and animal control functions.

Probably missing out on a lot of business travel though and that is one thing I don't miss at all. Our client 'likes to see us in person', that has obviously gone by the wayside and has made fuck all difference as we adjusted instantly.
                                                                                                                          I like the office too.
                                                                                                                          But limit my commute by 8+ hours a week and save office for friday after work pints.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X