X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Opr
    not a chance in hell I'm sitting out there
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

in yet another example of "is the world really just trying to wind me up?"

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Cut the enlarged lawn for the first time this evening with somewhat mixed results. The newly-grown sides look like the Centre Court at Wimbledon, all lush and bright. The old middle is more Central Criminal Court.

Can see Reseeding v2 in my September list of jobs.
        Evergreen 4 in 1 will brighten it up.

I went from this building site last september to this with just a bag of seed, applied 4 in 1 10 days ago and greened it up and thickened it.

There may have been a lot of hard work also, but that was free.

Still a few patches, but expect it to thicken a bit more as the season progresses.

Thread in the other place about it.
        Last edited by oleras; 06-05-20, 18:08.
        This too shall pass.

Comment

Ah lads...

Grass is so noughties... it's all about the wildflower lawns now.

https://pollinators.ie/gardens/

Comment

Originally posted by brianmc View Post
            Ah lads...

I see Limerick coco is using that as an excuse not to cut verges
            This too shall pass.

Comment

Ah lads...

Share the picture of your lawn!!
              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                Share the picture of your lawn!!
                Still a work in progress obviously, but yeah, that's the lawn finished. I only have that much because I had to compromise for other people.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                  I'm feeling a little let down by Gangs of London cosnidering all the positive feedback it's got here. These type of TV shows are 100% up my street and was expecting something amazing!

The first few episodes weren't bad, but the end of Episode 4, and whole of Episode 5 were juts a pile of wank imo. Ep 6 was a little better, and that's where i am up to now.

It seems a little disjointed and all over the place.

Doesn't appear to be the popular opinion though.
                  Said the same thing to a friend who has been pushing me to watch it the last couple of weeks. 3 episodes to go and I'm struggling

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                    I'm feeling a little let down by Gangs of London cosnidering all the positive feedback it's got here. These type of TV shows are 100% up my street and was expecting something amazing!

The first few episodes weren't bad, but the end of Episode 4, and whole of Episode 5 were juts a pile of wank imo. Ep 6 was a little better, and that's where i am up to now.

It seems a little disjointed and all over the place.

Doesn't appear to be the popular opinion though.
                    I agree. 1 episode to go and it's just too much. Violence is completely ott, too many storylines going all over the shop, can't wait for it to end.

Comment

Gangs of London, just seen the first 2 but as said, violence way ott, the opening scene was enough to set the stage of the type of person we are dealing with, the rest could go on in the background, then maybe you would have to rely too much on storyline ?
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Ah lads...

Lawns have to be one of the worst inventions of the modern age. Hard to maintain, bad for the environment and boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                          Lawns have to be one of the worst inventions of the modern age. Hard to maintain, bad for the environment and boring.
                          I don't have a garden but come on, freshly cut grass is one of the greatest smells in the world, and worth having a garden just for that!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                            I don't have a garden but come on, freshly cut grass is one of the greatest smells in the world, and worth having a garden just for that!
                            I prefer the smell of lavender

Comment

Hardly 'modern', unless you have a uniquely long view of history?
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I used not really think about it and enjoyed a nice lawn. Then I thought about them and I can’t understand them at all any more.

The goal seems to be lush, uniform green-ness but still technically grass so we cut, fertilise, weed, spray herbicides, water and in some cases even paint them when a piece of green carpet would meet the criteria much quicker and more easily.

In the meantime we’ve effectively removed a piece of land from the ecosphere because a maintained lawn is about as useful to wildlife as a green carpet would be.

Stop doing all the work and accidentally save the planet.

If it’s the neighbours you’re worried about, then mow the edges or a path through it to show that it’s not neglected.

Comment

There's smell of fresh cut grass
                                  And it's filling up my senses
                                  And the sun is shining down
                                  On the blossoms in the avenue.
                                  There's a buzzing fly hanging
                                  Around the bluebells and the daisies
                                  And there's a lot more loving left in this world.

Comment

Boogaloo Shrimp poppin', lockin' and backslidin' to Tour de France in the 1984 movie Breakin'

RIP Florian.

Comment

This is pretty rad also... (some NSFW)

Produced by IamHelgiMixed by Kaiku StudiosMastered by Heba KaudryLyrics by Daughters of ReykjavíkDirector: Þuríður Blær JóhannsdóttirEditing: Guðmundur Felixson

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

For those championing a natural non grass garden and also PSV in particular I'd say, will be horrified by what I've been doing the last two months.

Cleared out a prairie, put in a lush green rugby pitch and have it manicured to perfection. Finishing off gravel road around property today and then start work on building clubhouse next week.

Will upload pics later

Comment

Still a work in progress obviously, but yeah, that's the lawn finished. I only have that much because I had to compromise for other people.

I used not really think about it and enjoyed a nice lawn. Then I thought about them and I can’t understand them at all any more.

The goal seems to be lush, uniform green-ness but still technically grass so we cut, fertilise, weed, spray herbicides, water and in some cases even paint them when a piece of green carpet would meet the criteria much quicker and more easily.

In the meantime we’ve effectively removed a piece of land from the ecosphere because a maintained lawn is about as useful to wildlife as a green carpet would be.

Stop doing all the work and accidentally save the planet.

If it’s the neighbours you’re worried about, then mow the edges or a path through it to show that it’s not neglected.
                                            That looks amazing!
                                            Some amount of work to get that done, did you use a digger?

I was looking at doing a bigger area but I've started for this year clearing about 25sq M and seeded it with this

Been over three weeks now but germination doesn't look great so far, hard to see what is from the mix and what is nettle and willow herb and the other seeds turned over by the clearing,plenty of scutch coming back already too. I hope I don't regret not using roundup

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Pesto time!
                                                I've made wild garlic pesto and it's one of the best pesto's I've had:

Comment

Bad for the environment? why is that?
                                                  I don't have a lawn or know about looking after one, so never heard anything about the above.
                                                  Hardly 'modern', unless you have a uniquely long view of history?
                                                  The "Modern" era, in the history sense, covers the period from the renaissance to the war. Practically everything in our lives is a modern invention (or newer).
                                                  A confusing name that won't age well along side the everyday use of modern.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                    I don't have a lawn or know about looking after one, so never heard anything about the above.

The "Modern" era, in the history sense, covers the period from the renaissance to the war. Practically everything in our lives is a modern invention (or newer).
                                                    A confusing name that won't age well along side the everyday use of modern.
                                                    It takes a lot of effort (water, cutting, fertilisers in some case) to create something that is of no-use whatsoever.

“I’ve heard lawns compared to a biological desert,” Windhager said. “That’s really unfair, because deserts can be very diverse places.”

Neil Tyson often conjectures that maybe aliens have concluded humans aren’t intelligent enough to contact. He’s probably referring to our capacity for war, but lawns may display our talent for fruitless carnage even better.

Why poison the earth when you can have wildflowers at your feet and songbirds in your trees without even trying?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                          It’s not just lawns but cultivated grasslands too. We’re suffering huge biodiversity loss and one of the major issues is habitat loss. A big green field is great for feeding cattle and sheep but does practically nothing for insects and other invertebrates. That then, trickles up the food chain. Lawns are easier to change than farms.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                            Think they're a necessary evil as we don't have enough public play and mingling places so kids end up playing by themselves in their back garden. A pretty woeful sign of society really - the garden as a sign of how insular societies have become.
                                                            Nothing to stop kids from playing on a less manicured area of flowers. In fairness, football, etc. yeah. There’s a huge amount of verges and at least 50% of most parks etc. that could be turned into something more interesting though.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                              That looks amazing!
                                                              Some amount of work to get that done, did you use a digger?

I was looking at doing a bigger area but I've started for this year clearing about 25sq M and seeded it with this

Been over three weeks now but germination doesn't look great so far, hard to see what is from the mix and what is nettle and willow herb and the other seeds turned over by the clearing,plenty of scutch coming back already too. I hope I don't regret not using roundup

It’s the aftermath of having the builders in. We’re not sure what’s going where for now but the intention is it will be pretty free form. For the moment I’ve down a big area with phacelia, sunflowers, and some veg mixed in for fun.

I like your wildflower mix! Too many non-native mixes on the market. I think some of the seed is unlikely to germinate until after a winter? It might get more interesting next year?

I have the same concerns as you about trying to get wildflower established on bare ground. Not sure how to transition past nettles and docks. I think I’d prefer to start from grasses and sow in some yellow rattle to weaken them, then take the slowly let it happen approach - cut once a year.

How are the bees?

Comment

There aving a go at the Lawns now.

What's next Boutiques and swinging hot spots ?

Comment

You don't know what you've got till it's gone
                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                    There aving a go at the Lawns now.
                                                                    They being country folks with septic tanks and one-off housing on massive plots.

I don't know, I mean I can sense something ironic about this but I'm not sure what it is. It will come to me at some stage. I'm old.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                      You don't know what you've got till it's gone
                                                                      In open D tuning .

Comment

So golf courses, Football/Sports stadia are all fecking up the planet. The mudders lawn is nicely set out with the Virgin Mary grotto with 24/7 candle. The perimeter adorned with various flowers . Have to tell her later she is fucking up the planet. And that Statue has got to go especially that fucking plastic casing around the Virgin mudder. RIP ME.

Comment

Comment

How are the bees?
                                                                            Very busy , seem to be thriving. No2 Daughter who is the beekeeper went in to rearrange the supers the other day and they got very angry.
                                                                            Will be trying to catch another hive from this lot at some stage.

You need a Honeysuckle plant in your life.
                                                                            I'm devising a plan to propagate a large amount of them and plant them in local hedgerows

Comment

A brand new twist this year. Can't login to the account as need a personal email address registered on the account but the only way to register a personal email address is to login to the account. IT seem unable, for now, to bypass this tautological security restriction.

Just to emphasise - they'll be setting up maybe 100s of these visiting prof accounts each year - and they've set up the registration system in a way that no one can register. Special folk.
                                                                              Is that not IT in most large organisations now?
                                                                              You need a ticket
                                                                              2 months later after a few phone calls where person on other end of line can barely speak English you get mail to say ticket closed
                                                                              Rinse and repeat

Comment

They being country folks with septic tanks and one-off housing on massive plots.

I don't know, I mean I can sense something ironic about this but I'm not sure what it is. It will come to me at some stage. I'm old.
                                                                                GFYRDIII

Comment

...

Comment

GFYRDIII
                                                                                    I won't even start with the irony of Green Party support being by far at its lowest in rural areas...

Comment

Maybe it is! The rather pressing issue is that I can't actually teach anyone until they sort it out.
                                                                                      there's always a silver lining

Comment

Bewley's gone again I see. Used to work there in my college days. Campbell gave it to his idiot son as a project around 2000 and he's repeatedly run it into the ground. Probably one of the most unlikeable people I've ever met.

Comment

Very busy , seem to be thriving. No2 Daughter who is the beekeeper went in to rearrange the supers the other day and they got very angry.
                                                                                          Will be trying to catch another hive from this lot at some stage.
                                                                                          Oilseed rape nearby? They can get a bit aggressive when they're on it.

Comment

Is it that I'm here in my paradise but I'm still concerned for everyone else?

Attached Files

Comment

Spent the last month trying to perfect this technique. A ridiculous amount of thinking work, for me at least. Was running it tonight on something with the brand new code and it seems to work like a beast. Going to mark this down as the big win of the confinement, albeit that I'm still only maybe 10% towards being fully fledged in the area compared to the pros.

Such a class skill - take as many millions of stories as you wish - feed them into the code and out pops what the stories are talking about. Limitless potential really.
                                                                                              I've been working on something to determine media bias in news stories
                                                                                              pro/anti FF/FG/SF/Grn/Lab etc
                                                                                              I've torn it all up and restarted more than once at this stage.
                                                                                              Think I need a good refresher course in python concepts.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                Bewley's gone again I see. Used to work there in my college days. Campbell gave it to his idiot son as a project around 2000 and he's repeatedly run it into the ground. Probably one of the most unlikeable people I've ever met.
                                                                                                the owner wanted them out ages is the rumour.
                                                                                                1.5 million a year on rent is a lot of overpriced mediocre frys
                                                                                                Can't wait for a new boutique hotel/startbucks

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                  the owner wanted them out ages is the rumour.
                                                                                                  1.5 million a year on rent is a lot of overpriced mediocre frys
                                                                                                  Can't wait for a new boutique hotel/startbucks
                                                                                                  Easy few articles about Dublin losing its soul for a certain Irish times columnist

Comment

Awww brian that looks amazing! Lovely photo and lovely spot...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                        guarded by specially trained killer bees

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                          I'd better not claim the spot to be mine but the hives are... I could spend all day just hanging around up there.

I think you could easily charge the people a dollar and a half to see 'em.

Comment

Not sure if this is the thread for this post but it’s me moaning so maybe it is

Have had my pokerstars account restricted and a pop up message of contacting customer support to sort it when I attempt to login

I can’t get In to the live chat feature as can’t login and have tried email and twitter to get help and have had zero luck,any ideas or do I just wait it out?? I have money in my stars account also which is just adding to the frustration

Comment

...

Comment

A brand new twist this year. Can't login to the account as need a personal email address registered on the account but the only way to register a personal email address is to login to the account. IT seem unable, for now, to bypass this tautological security restriction.

Just to emphasise - they'll be setting up maybe 100s of these visiting prof accounts each year - and they've set up the registration system in a way that no one can register. Special folk.
                                                                                                                I think you guys use google apps? I know in an O365/MS environments I could just get an excel sheet with everyone's details and mass create logins with a few clicks. You could feed this O365 forms for registration. Alternatively forms could feed a power automate workflow to do much of this automatically. Someone competent on their IT team should be able to knock something together. I'd imagine the IT/helpdesk guys just keep fighting fires on tickets and back-office don't care. No appetite to improve or integrate systems. You'd think with tuition fees of €15k a year that they'd have a few shillings left over to sort something simple like this.

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                Is that not IT in most large organisations now?
                                                                                                                You need a ticket
                                                                                                                2 months later after a few phone calls where person on other end of line can barely speak English you get mail to say ticket closed
                                                                                                                Rinse and repeat
                                                                                                                We brought in a cloud-based helpdesk and IT productivity went through the roof. More tickets solved faster. Recurring issues started being picked up faster and many preventative fixes implemented to allow more project based time. We're a small team of 7 across 3 countries. While not strictly as important to the business as BI or ERP systems that were introduced over the last few years. Having a ticket-based helpdesk system allowed us more time to build and refine business critical systems.

Large organisations are a different kettle of fish. One large UK based automotive company we deal with is a bloody nightmare. If you raise a ticket with some of their web portals/apps, the ticket will ping across time-zones, continents and teams with no knowledge of the system for a few days. Multiple outsourced systems and helpdesks with no connection. Legacy apps remain and the in-house knowledge pool has long moved on. I have a colleague that's 3 weeks trying to get someone to fix their problem of PDF downloads not working on a basic web portal. You'd think it would be a pretty straightforward fix right?

Invariably many CIOs will look at a metric of we solved X tickets: "We're busy and productive - How great are we? We outsourced x,y,z systems, saving €€€'s and reducing headcount. Where's my bonus please?" End user and customer experience goes to shit, business process becomes slower and time invariably costs money. Your mileage will absolutely vary across organisations and industries. The smallest and biggest companies outsource for the same reason - a business decision made that it's too expensive to have on-site IT and knowledge. There's a sweet-spot somewhere in between that can be achieved. However only based on how the higher ups perceive IT. Is it another cost centre or is it something that can be leveraged to help deliver a competitive advantage?

Comment

guarded by specially trained killer bees
                                                                                                                  Murder Hornets I believe

Comment

Originally posted by bigfrank08 View Post
                                                                                                                    Not sure if this is the thread for this post but it’s me moaning so maybe it is

Have had my pokerstars account restricted and a pop up message of contacting customer support to sort it when I attempt to login

I can’t get In to the live chat feature as can’t login and have tried email and twitter to get help and have had zero luck,any ideas or do I just wait it out?? I have money in my stars account also which is just adding to the frustration
                                                                                                                    happened to me. took forever (i gave up). or try and get on the chat and they might be able to help faster

Comment

I'd suggest this as a starter. Shows how to model a body of texts into topics.

If you fed in all 'Irish news' articles you would then have a natural sorting of topics, so would be able to see relative sizes. It also solves a bit for bias, as the topics would emerge statistically rather than through your choices.

From the labelling of these topics you'd see the ones that relate to government, opposition, and probably two standalone topics on FG and SF.

From that you can extract the articles related to each topic and run sentiment on them fairly handily. E.g. I've this basic code from ages ago that seemed to work fine, although could undoubtedly be improved.

Code:
                                                                                                                      import pandas as pd
                                                                                                                      from textblob import TextBlob

text = data_set["text"]

for i in range(0,len(text)):
                                                                                                                          textB = TextBlob(text[i])
                                                                                                                          sentiment = textB.sentiment.polarity
                                                                                                                          data_set.set_value(i, 'Sentiment',sentiment)
                                                                                                                          if sentiment <0.00:
                                                                                                                              SentimentClass = 'Negative'
                                                                                                                              data_set.set_value(i, 'SentimentClass', SentimentClass )
                                                                                                                          elif sentiment >0.00:
                                                                                                                              SentimentClass = 'Positive'
                                                                                                                          else:
                                                                                                                              SentimentClass = 'Neutral'
                                                                                                                      You should take up music. It's basically maths logic and an ear . Hmm maybe the ear might be the problem . But maybe apply this to ID progressions in the top 30s by the diff genre charts . Tits and giggles ?

Comment

...

Comment

happened to me. took forever (i gave up). or try and get on the chat and they might be able to help faster
                                                                                                                          Can’t use the live chat feature as can’t get logged into account.not sure if getting someone else to bring up my problem in the live chat when logged into their account would be a good idea or if they would take any notice.

Only I have money in my account that I obviously want back and the fact we are using this site as a platform for home games I would just give up,god it’s annoying

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X