Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was only saying to my dad two nights ago how lucky we were that nobody on each side got covid

Spoke too soon, eldest tested positive on an antigen this morning. Nearest place for a pcr was punchestown. It was fucking packed up there.

She is not that sick at all thankfully, headache, slight sore throat and tired

Will be interesting to see who else is gonna get it in the house now.

I had put in for three days hols in work from 28th they were denied and wasn't a bit happy about it. Careful what you wish for wha

Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

I can ask a few people if you don't get sorted
      If you could, that would be appreciated. Cheers. It’s on Tuesday evening in Foxrock.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
        feels like half the country is riddled with it and the half that don't have it will in a weeks time.
        Dublin is riddled.
        They need to stop greeting each other by spitting in each others mouths up there.
        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
          Was lucky to have 3 bottles of Hibiki gifted to me from guys coming over from Japan. It is just out of this world good. I'm not normally a whiskey fan but this is smooth, neat, hits you with a tobacco and the floral tastes after. Pairs incredibly well with marlboro lights. Best spirit i've ever had.
          Hibiki is v.good. They’ve been so popular last 10 years that they ran out if aged stock, so the age statement stuff has been taken off market for a few years. Only the blend available.
          Looks like that one is the travel exclusive one which is supposed to be a step about.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
            Looking for a dealer for a home game on the 28th (in Dublin). Anyone know where I could ask? Anyone have a number for JP?

(GAB gave me a number before but she's not feeling 100% so can't do it)
            Plenty of dealers stuck for work at the moment. I sent you a pm there with someone's details and I've already asked if he's available and he is. He's a member/lurker on here too, Doyler92
            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post

Plenty of dealers stuck for work at the moment. I sent you a pm there with someone's details and I've already asked if he's available and he is. He's a member/lurker on here too, Doyler92
              Thanks for the recommendation but I’ve changed my name to something that more people will recognise me as

Comment

Perfect neighbourhood to flog some doggy umbrellas in too

Comment

feels like half the country is riddled with it and the half that don't have it will in a weeks time.
                  It genuinely seems like good news, as there will be no-one left to infect. Rough start to the year and then presumably cases will drop off a cliff. Could still be end of Jan before the restrictions start to lift out of caution. I'd say though that if we don't see a massive spike in hospitalisation in the next week then there will be overwhelming pressure to lift restrictions.
                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Some christmas boozing.

Was lucky to have 3 bottles of Hibiki gifted to me from guys coming over from Japan. It is just out of this world good. I'm not normally a whiskey fan but this is smooth, neat, hits you with a tobacco and the floral tastes after. Pairs incredibly well with marlboro lights. Best spirit i've ever had.

The Barr Hill gin vaults all the way to my #2 spot for favourite gin ever. It's lucious, sweet and coats your tongue like I imagine how J.Lo tastes. Had it neat, g&t's. Not sure if you can get it in Ireland but it's worth seeking out.

The Mojave gin is false advertising, Owned by a massive retailer and just threw some marketing hype on a dry gin. not worth it, but my friends liked it so who knows.

If you want to stay on the Suntory train, Roku gin is the way to go. Definitely my favourite gin at the minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

If you want to stay on the Suntory train, Roku gin is the way to go. Definitely my favourite gin at the minute.
                      it's pretty cheap over here. Have had it a few times. I enjoy it but don't love it if that makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        I'd say though that if we don't see a massive spike in hospitalisation in the next week then there will be overwhelming pressure to lift restrictions.
                        The biggest problem is likely to be staffing of critical sectors - transport, food, utilities etc.

And of course, the health sector itself.

That's the downside of 'letting it rip' although Omicron seems to have decided for us.

I'd love to know:
                        1. the breakdown in hospitalisations between Omicron and Delta
                        2. the breakdown in Omicron hospitalisations between vaxxed vs unvaxxed (medical consensus seems to be that vaxxed people just aren't presenting with Omicron)
                        3. what the true case numbers are vs the reported ones (i.e. what% take a positive antigen and then just isolate without making it into the official stats - and can we guess what % get Omicron without ever noticing)
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I’d love to know the % experiencing symptoms but not taking any kind of test or restricting movements as they don’t want to spoil their Christmas, % pinged as close contacts but ignoring it and % with a positive antigen test but ignoring it. I’d say a surprisingly large amount
                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

The biggest problem is likely to be staffing of critical sectors - transport, food, utilities etc.

And of course, the health sector itself.

That's the downside of 'letting it rip' although Omicron seems to have decided for us.

I'd love to know:
                            1. the breakdown in hospitalisations between Omicron and Delta
                            2. the breakdown in Omicron hospitalisations between vaxxed vs unvaxxed (medical consensus seems to be that vaxxed people just aren't presenting with Omicron)
                            3. what the true case numbers are vs the reported ones (i.e. what% take a positive antigen and then just isolate without making it into the official stats - and can we guess what % get Omicron without ever noticing)
                            You can work all these things out by tracking the UK data pro capita. We're a few days behind them, maybe 5 or 6. Real case numbers are probably 4-5 times higher as the positivity is off the charts right now. UK have already reduced their quarantine time for health staff to prevent staffing issues. Think it's 7 days instead of 10. They're talking about going to 5 days with a negative antigen test just in case it gets really bad. The whole country is riddlet. Herd immunity incoming.
                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                              Managed to impress my 15 y/o last night by revealing deep subject matter expertise of the East Coast-West Coast rap feuds of the nineties, culminating in the unfortunate and untimely deaths of Messrs Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac Shakur. (didn't tell her I picked this shit up from listening to the Slate Slow Burn series on the same topic)

Anyway, with my street cred as a Cool Dad at least temporarily restored, your post above is motivating me to get her to watch Lost in Translation later.

For relaxing times.

1*RHcF0_eb6412KpINEN30AA.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

You can work all these things out by tracking the UK data pro capita. We're a few days behind them, maybe 5 or 6. Real case numbers are probably 4-5 times higher as the positivity is off the charts right now. UK have already reduced their quarantine time for health staff to prevent staffing issues. Think it's 7 days instead of 10. They're talking about going to 5 days with a negative antigen test just in case it gets really bad. The whole country is riddlet. Herd immunity incoming.
                                Is there any (reliable) source who might have kindly crunched these numbers for us?

Agree the general point. UK = us, but a few days hence.

Comment

Kinda convinced myself I've already unknowingly had it as I've been exposed several times recently but antigens keep coming up negative. Doing them every 2 days.

Comment

Kinda convinced myself I've already unknowingly had it as I've been exposed several times recently but antigens keep coming up negative. Doing them every 2 days.
                                    Same . I'm convinced.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Same . I'm convinced.
                                      Alternatively, we have genetic superpowers.

Comment

Alternatively, we have geriatric superpowers.
                                        FYP

Comment

I was a very close contact from Sunday to Thursday with a positive case , moved him and daughter out to isolate. They both have had j&j so very little immunity, his symptoms were mild , she tested positive yesterday and felt worse. The others who were in the house last week are still testing negative despite that two of us had very slight symptoms yesterday. Feels like maybe it was just brushed off by the third dose of vaccine, will be another few days before we are clear but it's all looking positive for now.
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

So what are all the movies of 2021 I should watch now?

I think the only ones I went to see in the cinema were the Bond one and Spiderman (under duress).

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                              I was a very close contact from Sunday to Thursday with a positive case , moved him and daughter out to isolate. They both have had j&j so very little immunity, his symptoms were mild , she tested positive yesterday and felt worse. The others who were in the house last week are still testing negative despite that two of us had very slight symptoms yesterday. Feels like maybe it was just brushed off by the third dose of vaccine, will be another few days before we are clear but it's all looking positive for now.
                                              My unfortunate sister in law had Delta in Nov, quite badly, and now has tested positive again. Fair bit of FFS coming from that direction.

Comment

I think the only ones I went to see in the cinema were the Bond one and Spiderman (under duress).
                                                These are the 4 I went to see in the cinema. I'd recommend all of them, though get that a lot of people were disappointed with the Sopranos one.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Playing the % game and heading to pub at 12 for the racing just in case theres nobody left to man the pumps in the coming days

Comment

Thanks CC (shouldn't you be busy commemorating the 30th anniversary of the lowering of the red flag?).

Saw Druk - very enjoyable. Will watch the Sopranos one tonight.
                                                    Lamb doesn't look like my cup of lapsang souchong.

Comment

My favs this year:

Promising young woman

Last night in soho

Titane (really fucked up but i loved it)

Shiva baby (i think you'll really enjoy this one)

Petite maman

Palm springs

Nomadland

Dune

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                        Playing the % game and heading to pub at 12 for the racing just in case theres nobody left to man the pumps in the coming days
                                                        I've persuaded myself Champagne Platinum is the JP one in the PP chase.

Boycotting the Welsh National on the grounds that it's the first time I can remember where the going isn't heavy. Some Christmas traditons are sacrosanct and not to be fucked with.

Comment

Thanks CC (shouldn't you be busy commemorating the 30th anniversary of the lowering of the red flag?).
                                                          Ha. Can't remember if I posted this postcard before. How time flies!

Comment

Another couple of photos from the past. Somewhere in Rathmines in 2011 iirc.

Comment

After timing alert for those who get triggered by it.

Arrived home yesterday, Dad has racing on the telly. Good Boy Bobby was running in the next at Wetherby so I stuck the high roller amount of a fiver on him at 4/1 for the sole reason one of my dogs is called Bobby and he is a good boy easy aul game really.

Comment

Feck! A lad I know early forties some health problems but not afaik that would considered high risk, tested positive on Friday and died sometime on Christmas day. Could be more to it than covid, they will be doing a PM but it's a hell of a shock.

Comment

Eldest confirmed positive.
                                                                  Thankfully I have booster so my restricted movements are cut to five days.

We are a bit confused on how long her isolation is. Is it ten days from her first symptoms or ten days from test?
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

The power of the dog

Comment

have a bottle unopened in the press following a taste and purchase a few years ago. Neat with Ginger was the recommendation at the time. How do you drink yours?
                                                                      Have never had it neat, must try that.

Usually just drink it with a slice of ginger, few ice cubes and tonic.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                        Eldest confirmed positive.
                                                                        Thankfully I have booster so my restricted movements are cut to five days.

We are a bit confused on how long her isolation is. Is it ten days from her first symptoms or ten days from test?
                                                                        When you can stop self-isolating

Most people can stop self-isolating when both of these apply:
                                                                        • You have had no fever for 5 days.
                                                                        • It has been 10 days since you first developed symptoms.
                                                                        https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid...-self-isolate/

Comment

it's pretty cheap over here. Have had it a few times. I enjoy it but don't love it if that makes sense
                                                                          I always find it interesting the way brands are pitched differently in different countries.

It's by no means the most expensive gin on sale here but it is marketed as somewhat of a premium brand with it usually retailing for between €40 and €45.

Tesco had it on sale just before Christmas reduced to 25 so picked up a few bottles of it.

Comment

Think Mia is the only one in the house happy, delighted she doesn't have to go to work.

Also think the Hse should list contrary as a symptom Jesus she is hard work with this covid
                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

NOEL EDMONDS' LIVE, LIVE CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST SHOW

Worth a look just for Fergal Sharkey not miming along about 29 minutes in.
                                                                              Last edited by ComradeCollie; 27-12-21, 13:03.

Comment

Watched Power of the dog. SP is trolling.

Comment

How was the Christmas lunch satnav?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                    How was the Christmas lunch satnav?
                                                                                    It was lovely, the food I couldn't fault bar the lack of roast spuds. The only thing I wasn't mad about was, it kinda resembled an old folks home lol it was mainly pensioners there.

They provided music too which was nice just a chap on guitar.

I would have liked to have spent longer there but after 2.5 hrs two daughters were bored of it all.
                                                                                    Yes we left a nice tip, even Mia dug deep IMG_20211227_135133.jpg IMG_20211227_135123.jpg IMG_20211227_135205.jpg IMG_20211227_135143.jpg IMG_20211227_135152.jpg

Attached a few pics
                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Very good. Looks lovely.

Comment

Only an hour landed in Rome, en route to Sorrento, and already knee-deep in multiple dishes of pasta, pizza. There is surely no country that has made such a joy of the simple carb.

Comment

Is there any (reliable) source who might have kindly crunched these numbers for us?

Agree the general point. UK = us, but a few days hence.
                                                                                          This Dr of Nursing based in Carlisle does excellent analysis IMO:

Gap between first symptoms and possible complications is only 9 to 10 days with omicronhttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/25/dodgy-data-used-push-t...
                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Only an hour landed in Rome, en route to Sorrento, and already knee-deep in multiple dishes of pasta, pizza. There is surely no country that has made such a joy of the simple carb.
                                                                                            100% bringing the work laptop abroad in the next two months and working from somewhere sunny / warm for a bit.

What is the craic with getting into Spain/ Italy/ France?
                                                                                            Be boosted and show a neg PCR test from last two days?
                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                              Another couple of photos from the past. Somewhere in Rathmines in 2011 iirc.

Surprising lack of makeup on Keane
                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

What sort of gobshites schedule the two big handicap chases to go off at the same time. FFS!
                                                                                                Big dog darver star ew double

Comment

Congrats on getting there. I really didn't imagine it going ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

100% bringing the work laptop abroad in the next two months and working from somewhere sunny / warm for a bit.

What is the craic with getting into Spain/ Italy/ France?
                                                                                                    Be boosted and show a neg PCR test from last two days?
                                                                                                    Neg PCR in past 48 hours or negative antigen from last 24 hours. Plus be vaccinated, with last vaccine in the previous 9 months.

They seem to be quite no nonsense here. They've banned non vaccinated from just about everywhere, including shops at the weekend.

Have to wear a surgical mask, which handily stops the fashion faux pas of the noser brigade. Have to wear it outside all the time.

That would be so class to work abroad for a few months! You should so do that. Apparently Portugal is where loads of folks are going.

Comment

Neg PCR in past 48 hours or negative antigen from last 24 hours. Plus be vaccinated, with last vaccine in the previous 9 months.

They seem to be quite no nonsense here. They've banned non vaccinated from just about everywhere, including shops at the weekend.

Have to wear a surgical mask, which handily stops the fashion faux pas of the noser brigade. Have to wear it outside all the time.

That would be so class to work abroad for a few months! You should so do that. Apparently Portugal is where loads of folks are going.
                                                                                                      I was in portugal in september, every surf camp in ericeira was packed with long term visitors. Paying a cheap rate to stay in shit accomodation, surf every day and then work with the nice weather. It's a great country and the weather is fantastic. Can find very cheap rentals there.

This past january when I was in Tulum it was insanely busy with the same thing albeit a lot more americans and british people. It seems to be the same social media influencer crowd as the place to be has gone Tulum - Bali - Portugal with a sprinkling of Dubai in there.

Comment

Hospital numbers will inevitably rise because of Omi but the majority will be in hospital with Covid and not because of Covid.

Workforce planning will be impacted because of test results, not because people are too sick to go to work.

The game has changed because of Omi and vaccinations. We need a new approach.

Covid is no longer the threat it was. We need to treat it like a winter flu now. No restrictions. No testing. Deal with the sick as they present. Stay away from work if you are sick.
                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                          Hospital numbers will inevitably rise because of Omi but the majority will be in hospital with Covid and not because of Covid.

Workforce planning will be impacted because of test results, not because people are too sick to go to work.

The game has changed because of Omi and vaccinations. We need a new approach.

Covid is no longer the threat it was. We need to treat it like a winter flu now. No restrictions. No testing. Deal with the sick as they present. Stay away from work if you are sick.
                                                                                                          It's hard for me to put this without it sounding sarcastic, but it's a real choice we have to make as a society. How many deaths are worth it to you for evening entertainment being open until 11pm instead of 8pm?

Like is it say, 50 excess deaths over normal mortality, 500 excess deaths, 5000 excess deaths over the space of maybe the next six months?

The reason why I don't mean it sarcastically is because its a real choice we need to explicitly make.

I suspect though a lot of people who are arguing for full reopening don't want to make that choice explicit. Hence using more calm phrases like 'deal with the sick as they present', rather than engage with real stories like strew posted above of his friend passing away and saying "I'm kinda okay with your friend passing away as a reasonable, if sad, side effect of opening society". Obviously noone will say that, but every 'excess death' is someones friend.

I don't know what the answer is myself. There's probably some level of excess death that is acceptable for evening entertainment, but I've no clue. It's probably not your idea of whatever happens is fine.
                                                                                                          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 27-12-21, 16:27.

Comment

It's hard for me to put this without it sounding sarcastic, but it's a real choice we have to make as a society. How many deaths are worth it to you for evening entertainment being open until 11pm instead of 8pm?

Like is it say, 50 excess deaths over normal mortality, 500 excess deaths, 5000 excess deaths over the space of maybe the next six months?

The reason why I don't mean it sarcastically is because its a real choice we need to explicitly make.

I suspect though a lot of people who are arguing for full reopening don't want to make that choice explicit. Hence using more calm phrases like 'deal with the sick as they present'
                                                                                                            2020 wants it's post back.
                                                                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I suspect though a lot of people who are arguing for full reopening don't want to make that choice explicit. Hence using more calm phrases like 'deal with the sick as they present', rather than engage with real stories like strew posted above of his friend passing away and saying "I'm kinda okay with your friend passing away as a reasonable, if sad, side effect of opening society". Obviously noone will say that, but every 'excess death' is someones friend.

I don't know what the answer is myself. There's probably some level of excess death that is acceptable for evening entertainment, but I've no clue. It's probably not your idea of whatever happens is fine.
                                                                                                              SP literllay said his mate had health problems and that there could be more to it than covid.

I get the point you're making but I think you're being disingenuous by just thinking people want "evening entertainment" back. I just want life back and that includes a full reopening. If people die (they do anyway) or if there is excess deaths (hasnt seemed to be any major excesss so far), then so be it. Death is the most natural thing in the world, so is living and we ain't doing much living at the moment.

Comment

Yet preliminary estimates suggest the total number of global deaths attributable to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 is at least 3 million, representing 1.2 million more deaths than officially reported.

sure, no major excesses
                                                                                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

sure, no major excesses
                                                                                                                  Fair enough that's on a global scale, I was only thinking about Ireland cos its the only place igaf about since I live here and want to get back to the way things were asap. Covid is pretty much over now imo. Treat it like the flu and crack on. Have no idea if we have or have not had excess deaths (in Ireland) but assume it would have been reported as such if we did.

Comment

Full text

On 30 January 2020 COVID-19 was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) with an official death toll of 171. By 31 December 2020, this figure stood at 1 813 188. Yet preliminary estimates suggest the total number of global deaths attributable to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 is at least 3 million, representing 1.2 million more deaths than officially reported.

With the latest COVID-19 deaths reported to WHO now exceeding 3.3 million, based on the excess mortality estimates produced for 2020, we are likely facing a significant undercount of total deaths directly and indirectly attributed to COVID-19.

COVID-19 deaths are a key indicator to track the evolution of the pandemic. However, many countries still lack functioning civil registration and vital statistics systems with the capacity to provide accurate, complete and timely data on births, deaths and causes of death. A recent assessment of health information systems capacity in 133 countries found that the percentage of registered deaths ranged from 98% in the European region to only 10% in the African region.

Countries also use different processes to test and report COVID-19 deaths, making comparisons difficult. To overcome these challenges, many countries have turned to excess mortality as a more accurate measure of the true impact of the pandemic.

Excess mortality is defined as the difference in the total number of deaths in a crisis compared to those expected under normal conditions. COVID-19 excess mortality accounts for both the total number of deaths directly attributed to the virus as well as the indirect impact, such as disruption to essential health services or travel disruptions.
                                                                                                                    Estimates suggest the total number of global deaths attributable to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 is at least 3 million, representing 1.2 million more deaths than officially reported.

so i’m not being disingenuous

i think people are just fed up of the whole thing and because it’s not anyone close they rationalise that it would be better to just open up and deal with it. Which is all well and good until we do have someone close affected.

maybe this new variant will lead to a change due to a lower risk of serious infection, and over time we will ultimately get to a point where we just get on with it. That could be now, but damned if I have any knowledge that would allow me to state it with certainty.
                                                                                                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

sure, no major excesses
                                                                                                                      How is Senor Omicrono getting on in Spain?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

My favs this year:

Promising young woman

Last night in soho

Titane (really fucked up but i loved it)

Shiva baby (i think you'll really enjoy this one)

Petite maman

Palm springs

Nomadland

Dune
                                                                                                                        Thanks dude. I've seen Nomadland which is great (for some reason had it pegged as a 2020 film).

Dune is on the watchlist for the sci-fi fans of this house, which doesn't include me.

Palm Springs and Promising Young Woman look good.

Comment

Why "no testing"?

I have no idea what benefit ignorance would bring?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X