This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

Sure we were told 100k deaths here none of the modelling here esp the worst case scenarios have come near to fruition thankfully. Another stick to beat a down trodden people I’m sure the boost the booster campaign will stop it. Sounds like one of those god awful phrases paddypower promotions would come up with. Well at least that will be the herd immunity we have been waiting for bring it on.
    Really? Luckiest dumb fuckery white privileged people on the planet. I'm grateful of the accident of birth, but really?
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
      It's been a while, trying to catch up on what's been going on. How's the weather? Covid still hindering things I assume?
      Cold foggy frosty tonight? Stormy last week nothing like USA no tornadoes here. Covid dominates the news no surprise when rte and media is state sponsored. People in the country like a cheap hooker will swallow what’s put in front of them and pretend to like it. Thankfully more people are questioning the constantly changing and seemingly twisted narrative.Supposed to be going to Houston next year any tips ?

Comment

Cold foggy frosty tonight? Stormy last week nothing like USA no tornadoes here. Covid dominates the news no surprise when rte and media is state sponsored. People in the country like a cheap hooker will swallow what’s put in front of them and pretend to like it. Thankfully more people are questioning the constantly changing and seemingly twisted narrative.Supposed to be going to Houston next year any tips ?
        Damn covid , making liars , cheats , villains, heros , illness , and ultimately death out of us all. Religion must be jealous .

Meanwhile heard of a guy/acquaintance who has developed Guillian Barre Syndrome, great fun for him . Got covid in Spain . The virus does not care what you believe .

Comment

Sure we were told 100k deaths here none of the modelling here esp the worst case scenarios have come near to fruition thankfully. Another stick to beat a down trodden people I’m sure the boost the booster campaign will stop it. Sounds like one of those god awful phrases paddypower promotions would come up with. Well at least that will be the herd immunity we have been waiting for bring it on.
          In fairness to sickpup jury is still out on omicron , media still hyping it to the gills because that’s their game but reports from South Africa seem to indicate a decoupling of infections and deaths?
          I’ve completely switched off covid news though so Who knows .
          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Just to be clear I wasn't referring to private schools and u14s in south Dublin.

My brother's school program that he's run for 20 years on a voluntary capacity in Tullow (3 female and 3 male teams) has imploded due to lack of school support during covid times and fuck all support from the leinster branch rugby officer program. I'd say that's more symptomatic of the situation away from the rugby school base...

Here's an example of a player that his program helped produce. https://www.connachtrugby.ie/academy.../charlie-ward/

If you turn off that tap and you stick with your tradition rugby schools in leinster and munster then Irish rugby loses long-term.

I was also talking about the cohort of 17/18 year olds who have left school or 21/22 year olds who have left colleges and couldn't get a game or even train for two seasons....
            Rugby (as in anything other than the tag version) is finished, as a parent you’d want to be touched to be involving your kids on it, the concussion issue alone..,
            but sure do as the Irish times is saying andhand over more money to the version of the game none of the bandwagoners that pay the bills are interested in (womens team) - that’ll help
            Last edited by MysteryGuest; 14-12-21, 00:21.
            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              Hmmm, wish I hadn't had that bet with HH now after hearing some of the UK Omicron modelling. Basically 1 in 3 people to get it in the next 8 weeks.

Even if as mild as reported in SA, that would still be a lot of hospitalisations and deaths.
              I think I'll be handily winning that bet unfortunately and will spend it on fine hankerchiefs which I can cry into as I walk around my 2km zone.

The only advantage of Omicron seems to be that it looks to be so good at spreading that it should burn itself out quite quickly by literally infecting everyone in the world in a few months.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

In fairness to sickpup jury is still out on omicron , media still hyping it to the gills because that’s their game but reports from South Africa seem to indicate a decoupling of infections and deaths?
                I’ve completely switched off covid news though so Who knows .
                I don't know, but I've seen a few bits here and there that suggests that it would have to be massively less powerful than delta to not cause shutdown, as its transmission is so much higher. E.g. it might be ten times more transmissible than delta, so needs to be ten times less damaging than delta, to have the same impact as delta. Or something like that, if you get me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think I'll be handily winning that bet unfortunately and will spend it on fine hankerchiefs which I can cry into as I walk around my 2km zone.

The only advantage of Omicron seems to be that it looks to be so good at spreading that it should burn itself out quite quickly by literally infecting everyone in the world in a few months.
                  Although we seem to have just about got all the elderly\vulnerable boosted in time.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Although we seem to have just about got all the elderly\vulnerable boosted in time.
                    FU Raiul D the turd .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

FU Raiul D the turd .
                      you and Collie

the sick, the halt and the lame

Comment

you and Collie

the sick, the halt and the lame
                        I'm the anti Sick Puppy heralded by the Evening Herald .

Got some booster tiredness yesterday. Floored but back on the horsie and ready to inhale the spores of the tin foil hat brigade .

Comment

we've had a big spike here again, due to omicron no doubt. We were trending at <100 cases a day for months, then went to between 200-300 cases and then over 3 days at the weekend hit 6,500 new cases.

A couple of weeks back they reintroduced some restrictions including needing the covid passport for entry to any places with at least a 50 people capacity but, for now, we still have full attendance in stadiums etc without passes. I expect if the weekends trend continues they'll start shutting stuff down again. Unlikely to be called for booster before Feb/Mar I reckon but all good. Thankfully haven't had any issues so far.

On a more positive note I still find myself surprised at the value available here for going out. There's a bar close by that we've become fond of and went to again last night, €16 for 3 beers and 3 glasses of rioja with a free tapa with each round. The tapas are basic, slice of iberico ham on a sliver of bread with some crisps, slice of cheese on bread with peanuts and cheese and pesto on bread with crisps but still just a nice touch.

On Saturday we went to local restaurant for lunch
                          fried goats cheese with blueberry confit / gratin potatoes with bacon & cheese and bread
                          truffle risotto with mushrooms / grilled pork steak and chips
                          tiramisu / pana cotta
                          2 sparkling waters
                          1 bottle of ribera del duero

€31 all in.

The 3 courses with 1 drink for €9.95 is available in a lot of places, though some are increasing it to €11 or even €13 but it's still great value.
                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Picked up A Gentleman in Miscow and Rules of Civility from the library. Enjoying AGIM at the moment.

Amor Towles could wrote out the phone book with a few observations and it would be better than 75% of the rubbish out there. Absolute pleasure to read.

Comment

Gerry adams is not all there is he? Must be the stress of being a British informant/mole all those years
                              Last edited by MysteryGuest; 14-12-21, 11:04.

Comment

Iago - when I was in Lisbon recently there were loads of smaller local places doing meal deals for under €10.

One place, in particular, had a lunchtime offer for €8 which was ridiculous. Bread, soup, main dish, a glass of wine and tea or coffee. I have no idea how they can survive by taking in so little for this meal. Obviously, the cost of living and wages are lower plus no crazy duty on booze. You can get a bottle of wine under €2 which doesn't taste like acetone but I just don't understand it.

Parts of Spain and Portugal must be incredibly poor compare to Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                  Iago - when I was in Lisbon recently there were loads of smaller local places doing meal deals for under €10.

One place, in particular, had a lunchtime offer for €8 which was ridiculous. Bread, soup, main dish, a glass of wine and tea or coffee. I have no idea how they can survive by taking in so little for this meal. Obviously, the cost of living and wages are lower plus no crazy duty on booze. You can get a bottle of wine under €2 which doesn't taste like acetone but I just don't understand it.

Happy Customers are more profitable in the long run.

Comment

Whats a good present for a couple with a 3 month old baby that will actually be of use to them (normal stuff now, I know most useful gift for the baby would actually be books to prepare for life as a feudal warlord)

Comment

Whats a good present for a couple with a 3 month old baby that will actually be of use to them (normal stuff now, I know most useful gift for the baby would actually be books to prepare for life as a feudal warlord)
                                      Condoms
                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Good trip down memory lane of how football used to be with the Forest Documentary on Netflix

Comment

This type of thing for the kid to chew on when teething starts properly.

Sophie the Giraffe Pure Teething Ring is the first teething ring made of 100% natural rubber. Made from the same natural rubber and food grade paints as the original Sophie la Giraffe. Easy to hold and is ideal for soothing painful gums with a variety of textures. - The first teething ring made of 100% natural rubber. - Made from the same natural rubber and food grade paints as the original Sophie la giraffe. - Great for little hands to hold and ideal for soothing painful gums. - Features a variety of textures to relieve baby at different stages of teething.

Comment

A voucher for boots nappy’s baby wipes arse scalded creams formulaes for food all stuff that’s practical and of use. Kid will have enough fluffy toys

Comment

Coffee - some age appropriate books are always nice tho. Ones like the that’s not my sets which they rub.

linked to Amazon for ease.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I have the same questions as you...I cannot understand how they make money. I'll be in Lisbon in March (despite there being 2 cl qfs from Lisbon they are both away that week) bad luck/timing but all good and looking forward to exploring the city.

Cost of living in most of Spain/Portugal is very low, but so are the wages. Numbeo reckons Valencia is about 47/48% of the cost of living in Dublin. Average wage in Spain is around €26k but minimum wage is only €950 a month and there's a whole generation called mileuristas
                                                "The
                                                mileurista is that young graduate, with languages, postgraduate degrees, masters and short courses (...) who does not earn more than 1,000 euros. He spends more than a third of his salary on rent, because he likes the city. She doesn't save, she doesn't have a house, she doesn't have a car, she doesn't have children, she lives from day to day ... Sometimes it's fun, but it gets tiring (...)

I have one friend here who in January received his first ever monthly paycheque for more than €1k take home..he's 46. So costs are much lower, but wages are too. I guess if the bars/restaurants increased prices they simply wouldn't do any business. As it is, it's not unusual to see a patron rock up and order a coffee/beer and then take a home made sandwich out to eat with it. This is not only acceptable but pretty common in the local neighbourhoods.

it's a good life, but there isn't a huge amount by way of excess with it.

Comment

a number of years back when I was still in Ireland I was approached by the Spanish arm of my company to see if I was interested in moving across and working in Spain. The role was identical but the salary was around 35% of what I was earning in Dublin.

I turned it down obviously, but actually I think I might have had a better quality of life on that money in Spain than I did on the higher salary in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                    Cost of living in most of Spain/Portugal is very low, but so are the wages. Numbeo reckons Valencia is about 47/48% of the cost of living in Dublin. Average wage in Spain is around €26k but minimum wage is only €950 a month and there's a whole generation called mileuristas

I have one friend here who in January received his first ever monthly paycheque for more than €1k take home..he's 46. So costs are much lower, but wages are too. I guess if the bars/restaurants increased prices they simply wouldn't do any business. As it is, it's not unusual to see a patron rock up and order a coffee/beer and then take a home made sandwich out to eat with it. This is not only acceptable but pretty common in the local neighbourhoods.
                                                    We have a friend in Madrid who works for a multinational and gets decent MNC money. Her husband, presumably mid 40s or so, has a had a variety of 'jobs' throughout his life that would your average student here would laugh at but apparently that is completely normal as you say above.
                                                    They seem to have a great standard of living on what she makes.

Comment

Offer to babysit for them 3 times in 2022 so they can go out together plus throw in vouchers for their favourite restaurant/local cinema/theatre, etc so they have something nice to do while your at home with the nipper

Comment

Everyone hates Iago, right?

Comment

We have a friend in Madrid who works for a multinational and gets decent MNC money. Her husband, presumably mid 40s or so, has a had a variety of 'jobs' throughout his life that would your average student here would laugh at but apparently that is completely normal as you say above.
                                                          They seem to have a great standard of living on what she makes.
                                                          Yes, on her money they would be very comfortable. On the 'jobs' thing, even 'good' jobs are a minefield. There's one person I know who has been a teacher in the same public school for 14 years but only ever on 1 year contracts so every summer she has an anxious wait to see if she has a job for the following year. Another friend works for the public service and has the same issue, 10 years working there in a variety of roles but no permanent contract. He's hoping his latest role might come with a permanent contract for a bit of stability.

Comment

Yes, on her money they would be very comfortable. On the 'jobs' thing, even 'good' jobs are a minefield. There's one person I know who has been a teacher in the same public school for 14 years but only ever on 1 year contracts so every summer she has an anxious wait to see if she has a job for the following year. Another friend works for the public service and has the same issue, 10 years working there in a variety of roles but no permanent contract. He's hoping his latest role might come with a permanent contract for a bit of stability.
                                                            Christ we'd do well to introduce that level of insecurity to civil servants here
                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Meh, he has to put up with the really horrible shitty weath...oh no wait - Yeah, confirmed as hated.
                                                              ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Meh, he has to put up with the really horrible shitty weath...oh no wait - Yeah, confirmed as hated.
                                                                As long as it doesn't stop us living vicariously through him . Cuntofaguy

Comment

I have the same questions as you...I cannot understand how they make money. I'll be in Lisbon in March (despite there being 2 cl qfs from Lisbon they are both away that week) bad luck/timing but all good and looking forward to exploring the city.

it's a good life, but there isn't a huge amount by way of excess with it.
                                                                  I have a few Spanish friends who moved here to study English and get a jump on the civil service panels back home. If you speak English you get a massive bump up the ranking but it's still years waiting for a call in many positions and you never need to use those language skills. Plenty of them ended up staying as they could get a start in so many different jobs un-skilled or unrelated to their qualification. Within a few years, they ended up completely fluent and in general doing well relatively speaking. They all spoke of this lost young generation over the last 20 or so years. Highly educated but with very poor long term prospects at home. There seems to be a very strong desire amongst them to return home, not unlike the post-2007 crash Irish generation who left for Australia. Though cheap 2 hour flights home dampens that desire somewhat. A great place to retire, visit as a tourist or live if you have that MNC salary but a different story if you're an average joe.

Give me a shout if you want any specific recommendations for Lisbon. My missus' parents have a small apartment in the old town area so quite familiar with it. I would 100% say to get out of the city to Sintra on a day trip if at all possible and tour the area, it's a magical little place.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Offer to babysit for them 3 times in 2022 so they can go out together plus throw in vouchers for their favourite restaurant/local cinema/theatre, etc so they have something nice to do while your at home with the nipper
                                                                    3 times - grandparent level of commitment

Comment

Techie fellas, ye up the walls with Log4j?
                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Step in it so often but keeps the kids quiet .

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Condoms
                                                                          Extra like here for literally making me laugh out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                            Techie fellas, ye up the walls with Log4j?

There is moderate to excited panic amongst those who use it, its a bad time of year to be rolling out hurriedly built updates.
                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Also, whoever said succession was crap, I feel sorry for you. Very enjoyable last couple of episodes to the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                Also, whoever said succession was crap, I feel sorry for you. Very enjoyable last couple of episodes to the series.
                                                                                Last two episodes stood out for not being exactly the same as the previous ten... Its not crap, its very entertaining but it is just a frothy (slightly) improv comedy.
                                                                                My criticism is just that IMO it doesn't work as a drama at any level at all, for instance take how badly written the Greg scenes have been this time around or how clumsily signalled the 'twist' at the end was.

Nice to see the ghost of RDIII future getting a spin out as the gold digger

Comment

Make sure you have a car, you're fucked if not.

Bone in ribeye here. Best i've ever had. https://www.vicandanthonys.com/location/houston/
                                                                                  Game hotdogs and cheap beers here http://damngoodfoodcoldassbeer.com/m...l#anchor-u2095
                                                                                  BBQ in Killeen
                                                                                  Try the vietnamese crawfish, a lot of garlic, butter and chillis.

Covid basically doesnt exist in the public sphere here anymore. Pharmacies, walmart etc giving out walk up booster shots. Ive been travelling a lot last few months and surprised with how lax it is compared to other countries( wasnt even allowed into some bars in Helsinki), but I could not tell you the infection rates, hospitalisations or anything. Some peple mask up, majority don't.

Comment

I've already seen exploit attempts happening in the wild so it's some scary shit. As bad as Heartbleed was.
                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hmmm, wish I hadn't had that bet with HH now after hearing some of the UK Omicron modelling. Basically 1 in 3 people to get it in the next 8 weeks.

Even if as mild as reported in SA, that would still be a lot of hospitalisations and deaths.
                                                                                      Small sample size obviously but the amount of people that I know that have tested positive in the last few days or so is worryingly high. Thankfully, I haven't had contact with any of them in weeks.

Out of all of them, the below are the best/worst ones

Mrs Lao Lao mate plus husband plus kid all tested positive (along with a LOT of other people) after being at a family wedding, looks to be a super spreader event.

A guy that works for me was on holidays in Canaries for a week. Went to fly home last Friday and tested positive at the airport. This was followed up by a PCR test which also came back positive. Currently now in quarantine in a hotel room in Canaries but still has zero symptoms.

Very good friend who I was meant to have pints with on Saturday last week tested positive today. I bailed on the pints as I was wrecked and had to work the weekend. My other 5 mates that went are now in isolation and waiting test results. Possible bullet swerved there

Comment

20% of cases in the UK are Omicron, next week it will be 90%+. We're not doing much genetic sequencing here so we haven't a sausage. :-/
                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                          20% of cases in the UK are Omicron, next week it will be 90%+. We're not doing much genetic sequencing here so we haven't a sausage. :-/
                                                                                          I wonder will people even bother testing if it's as mild as being reported

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                            Do I have to watch this now to work it out, or is he just saying I'm Tom?

Or Greg???

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                              If our battle with Covid was a chess game resignation would be the decent thing to do.
                                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Would you have to be fairly psychopathic to not want a shut down in schools before Christmas, so the spike over Christmas is higher and the popular demand for pubs to shut in January will be unstoppable?

Comment

Do I have to watch this now to work it out, or is he just saying I'm Tom?

Or Greg???
                                                                                                  Pip Torrens playing to type as the disreputable upper class English toff.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I think he'll be gone before Tuesday. Not willing to put any shekels where my mouth is though
                                                                                                    Well at least I didn't bet on it
                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Well at least I didn't bet on it
                                                                                                      His followers would storm Parliment and sit in the Speakers chair wearing MGBGA hats .

Comment

Pip Torrens playing to type as the disreputable upper class English toff.
                                                                                                        had to Google:

8435b981a2c5424b8d830bed7c675181.jpg

Comment

Felt like he was channelling a version of you in his turn in Patrick Melrose.

Great show by the way top class.

ga_16_patrickmelrose_s01.jpg

Comment

"Fuck Em." - Logan Roy
                                                                                                            SPOILER

Comment

457 in hospital today down from 481 last night.

ICU up 1 to 109.

516 in hospital and 117 in ICU last Tuesday

Two weeks ago 561 in hospital and 122 in ICU.

Three weeks ago 590 in hospital and 130 in ICU

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                457 in hospital today down from 481 last night.

ICU up 1 to 109.

516 in hospital and 117 in ICU last Tuesday

Two weeks ago 561 in hospital and 122 in ICU.

Three weeks ago 590 in hospital and 130 in ICU
                                                                                                                Are we doing this shite again, where we forget that hospitalisation follows cases? The cases haven't happened yet, we just know they are certainly arriving.

Unfortunately this is almost certainly going to be a brutal wave. Hopefully it's a big bang January and done, rather than stretched out, but I think we're going to be quite strongly restricted in January. Now, maybe all those countries are overreacting, but I suspect not.

Comment

1st poker outing in 2 years tonight.
                                                                                                                  D1 Cash League with 15k in the pot.
                                                                                                                  Loved it,
                                                                                                                  felt like I'd been released from prison.

3 cash tables going strong when I left and it was striking how much fun people were having.
                                                                                                                  God knows the poker community can be gowls
                                                                                                                  but the atmosphere & banter was top notch.

Fuck off COViD.

Comment

I personally think it's bonkers to be doing any sort of socialising right now, risking having to isolate over Xmas.

Would impact too many people.

For me also it's the only time of year when I get a break from work. Never get uninterrupted holidays during the year. Having that fucked because of Covid would be heartbreaking.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

You're dead right.
                                                                                                                      Got a couple of calls from people I hadn't seen in an age and cracked.

No regrets (yet), heading back into isolation.

Daughter home on 23rd and
                                                                                                                      having mother over for Christmas Day.
                                                                                                                      Will probably risk taking a box at Leopardstown
                                                                                                                      for extended family and a few friends.
                                                                                                                      We'll see but the social isolation
                                                                                                                      has taken my mental health to the edge
                                                                                                                      in the last few months ago so I need something.

Comment

Last two episodes stood out for not being exactly the same as the previous ten... Its not crap, its very entertaining but it is just a frothy (slightly) improv comedy.
                                                                                                                        My criticism is just that IMO it doesn't work as a drama at any level at all, for instance take how badly written the Greg scenes have been this time around or how clumsily signalled the 'twist' at the end was.

It’s true that it took a while to warm up but I don’t really mind that vs. series that think every episode had to be a cliffhanger. I love the dialogue as it’s different to most series, albeit a little improv-y as you say but good mind-off TV.

Comment

I've suffered back pain for years even whilst at my fittest . Local witch doctor in Athgoe/Newcastle appears to be something of a wizard . I have to accept some funky conversations on health in general but his actual corrective work is very effective .

Ex US hippy type . in between my cracking noises have had some 'far out' music discussions

Did you know smart watches eg Apple watch . SAP your strength . Party trick performed on me .

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X