Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food is fuel. Burn it and you can eat whatever the hell you want. Pretty much.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      ah heyor. you can't out train a bad diet. not all food is created equal
      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
        One thing Im going to go back to as found it great for building a foundation for health routine is couch to 5k. I lost a shit load of weight when i did it 5 years ago and start the fitness journey.
        I'm doing C25K atm. Currently looking for bodyweight routine I can do on other days (being careful with my torn menisci knees). Trying to get myself to do more yoga, but most of me doesn't want to do it despite knowing the benefits.

I went for a nighttime stroll last night around 9:30 for the first time since all of this. Excellent decision, crisp cool air, minimal Other disturbing my peaceful contemplation. Not like the shower of garden-bothering, jogging-at-you-from-a-distance, old-people-giving-death-no-fucks, parents-with-hell's-angels-gang-of-young-kids-on-bikes-and-scooters, rabble all conspiring to tense my shoulders that you get during daylight hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
          ah heyor. you can't out train a bad diet. not all food is created equal
          Yeah of course, but you don't have to live a life of misery giving shit up.

A good diet can include plenty of sugar.

Comment

Are you trolling?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
              I'm doing C25K atm. Currently looking for bodyweight routine I can do on other days (being careful with my torn menisci knees). Trying to get myself to do more yoga, but most of me doesn't want to do it despite knowing the benefits.

I went for a nighttime stroll last night around 9:30 for the first time since all of this. Excellent decision, crisp cool air, minimal Other disturbing my peaceful contemplation. Not like the shower of garden-bothering, jogging-at-you-from-a-distance, old-people-giving-death-no-fucks, parents-with-hell's-angels-gang-of-young-kids-on-bikes-and-scooters, rabble all conspiring to tense my shoulders that you get during daylight hours.
              Nice one! How are you finding C25K?

Great to hear. C25K changed my life.

Get into the running thread too.

Comment

Are you trolling?
                No. The 'pretty much' was a caveat.

A good balanced diet, coupled with regular excersise can include ice cream and Mars bars.

Comment

Ah I've only finished week 2, so it's not very taxing. I'm unfit, but I've no weight on me. I'm on a treadmill atm as I think it's still too cold for me to run outdoors currently as it triggers my asthma.

Comment

I'm doing 5K2C

It's redonk easy and I am excelling at it so far.

In other news, has anybody used the Poker Now site? A mate of mine wants to set up a home game without everyone having to set up an account on Stars or the like. We can then transfer money from losers to winners afterwards.

From what I can see, it's just some random lad who has set up a play money website where you can play games with mates?

Comment

No. The 'pretty much' was a caveat.

A good balanced diet, coupled with regular excersise can include ice cream and Mars bars.
                      Meh, its really not like that for most people, there is just so much more to it than that but its a fact that you can't out train a bad diet.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                        I'm doing 5K2C

In other news, has anybody used the Poker Now site? A mate of mine wants to set up a home game without everyone having to set up an account on Stars or the like. We can then transfer money from losers to winners afterwards.

From what I can see, it's just some random lad who has set up a play money website where you can play games with mates?
                        we use pokerrr. we all connected on zoom and used the pokerrr app on our phones. worked well, and the app allows the hoster to change the blinds any time you want

Comment

I agree.

A bad diet is a bad diet.

Doesn't mean that pizza can't be part of a good diet.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Also, that 900 odd calories you burned on that 10k coupled with just existing probably amounts to close to 3500 for that day.

Lie in bed all day simply breathing and you'll burn more than that pizza.

Comment

I started it a few weeks ago too, finding the sessions grand but legs are in bits for days after it. Very tender shins and a nagging pain at the back of my ankle. Am using good but old runners. Assuming this is not the common experience?

Comment

What school did you go to ?

Comment

Hour of Eng v Arg 98 and Fra v Ger 82 at 1.15pm on BBC1

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                      I started it a few weeks ago too, finding the sessions grand but legs are in bits for days after it. Very tender shins and a nagging pain at the back of my ankle. Am using good but old runners. Assuming this is not the common experience?
                                      You might simply be running a little too fast. There's no need to. Try run at a pace that you can talk at. Try not to be out of breath.

The goal is to get your lungs, your aerobic system used to sustained effort. Running nice and slow and easy achieves this most efficiently.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                        Last night TG4 had the whole Italia 90 match of England v Ireland. 80% of it was defences hoofing it up randomly into the opponent's half. Very few passes were not into space. Truly terrible football, despite there being very talented players on the pitch.

Comment

Last night TG4 had the whole Italia 90 match of England v Ireland. 80% of it was defences hoofing it up randomly into the opponent's half. Very few passes were not into space. Truly terrible football, despite there being very talented players on the pitch.
                                          Historic game though, with Gary Lineker taking a shit on the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                            Historic game though, with Gary Lineker taking a shit on the pitch.
                                            He wasnt the only one

Comment

Don't forget to vote in the Music King final!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru....php?p=1131569
                                                Or play Alphabet Sheep!

There's really no reason to leave IPB for the rest of the long weekend with this level of top notch entertainment options.
                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Have been playing on stars lately and just wanted to withdraw €50 from my account and get this error 'The minimum amount you can withdraw using the Visa option is € 95.00. Please select an alternate payment method or try again with a higher amount.'

Do I really need to withdraw 95 then deposit 45 to get the 50 I want? Seems a bit retarded. This a new thing from stars?
                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Planning on getting stuck into it later. When is voting over?

Comment

Voting open until 8pm Sunday.

Comment

dobby added a spotify playlist:

6Stars votes count for 2.

Comment

dobby added a spotify playlist:

6Stars votes count for 2.

Comment

Spotify playlist made for easier listening. Only song not available was the Jim O Rourke one.

Comment

Glad I read this page of the bbv, had no idea normal people is now a tv show.

Was in Luxembourg start of the year, and at their train stations they have a bookshelf of free books to read to take for your journeys(really cool idea) and that was the only book available in English. An okay read for all the train rides in the mist, hopefully be a bit of a weird show like the end of the fucking world which is class.
                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

French bottle job as per

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 02-05-20, 13:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                    That's all part of the misery eating habits that society have developed over the last two decades or so.

Laz is undeniably right.

A normal man doing normal activity needs about 2,500 calories a day. Add a 10k run on top of your normal activities and you can have an extra 1,000 calories if you want.

Whether you choose to eat fast calories (like the bread of a pizza) or slow calories (like fatty meats) within that calorie limit doesn't make the slightest difference and is for personal preference - a calorie is just a calorie.

Your diet should also allow you a reasonable variety of nutrients - which are most prevalent in fruit and vegetables and less present in processed foods such as pizzas. The only other thing is that we should minimize carcinogenic foods - mainly fried foods, often meats because of how we usually cook meat - as carcinogens have quite a strong (smoking-like) relationship with some cancers.

That's it, its no more complicated than that. Anything that gets away from that simple message is nonsense and usually nonsense that was created because someone is trying to sell something or overthinking things.
                                                                    Calories dont equal each other in anything other than count

Comment

Didn't want to infringe on the Music King thread but I love this video from the Grateful Dead . The missing finer on the skeleton

Comment

French bottle job as per
                                                                        GFYD

I actually remember that game as it was the first wc I got into (was 11 at the time) . Was sickening.

Comment

Used to enjoy the jogging in Sydney, but when moved back to Ireland, that kinda fell to the wayside and piled on the weight again. Just finish a tough work session which meant I couldnt leave the apartment for couple of days on end. Thankfully will calm down a bit and will be able to stop working at 6pm most days for the the next couple of months.

So decided to redo the C25K as felt very unfit. Week one start here and it will dovetail nicely with the government roadmap for easing restrictions.

So far so good..
                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                              Na it's not, diet 7 up, low calorie icecream...

Just eat less of it but make it the good stuff when you do

It's not about calories, it's about habits, hormones, sugars and insulin production...worry about calories later if you want

You won't change the habit by taking the option marketed as "healthy"

You won't sort out insulin if you keep spiking it

The world has gotten obese following the grain good, fat bad, count calories, healthy junk food diet...
                                                                              You don't think consuming too many calories has anything to do with the world getting obese?

I understand everything you're saying and agree with a lot of it. I think you're describing an approach that works for you personally. I'm a big believer that people should find what works for them as individuals. A LOT of these different approaches to food can work. If concerned about body weight and body fat (which does have a massive knock on effect to health and well-being whatever way you slice it or dice it), I think calories should be one of the main considerations when making food choices.

Is 100 calories of chocolate the same as 100 calories of broccoli? Obviously not. Can substituting diet 7up for tonic water be a good idea? Of course!

If people are uninformed about food composition, I'd recommend they look at calories first and foremost. I totally agree with your thinking about "healthy" foods. I think the term "healthy food" should be eradicated from people's mindset. You need to learn to read food labels and see what's in food when making decisions. Calories is a part of this process.
                                                                              Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

The biggest pitfall people fall into is they usually vastly undereat when crash dieting, people may do a month of 1000- 1500 per day calories and lose a pile. But your body doesn't take long to adjust to that new eating pattern. You dont need to burn as many calories so your basel metabolic rate slows down significantly. If you then go straight back to a normal ~2500 calories that's a significant overeat to your new normal and you'll pile back on the weight very quick even though most people believe they're just returning to an amount of calories that will stabilise weight. So the scales start going north, people get frustrated and end up giving up and eating more than ever . So the calories in/out is a bit of a myth as they're far from independent of each other.
                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

If you want to post diet advice you should have to post a recent picture too

Comment

If you want to lose weight. Eat less calories.
                                                                                    If you want to lose weight and be healthy. Eat less calories and eat nutritious foods.
                                                                                    If you want to lose weight and keep decent muscular density and be healthy, eat less calories and eat nutritious foods high in protein.

There is no magic. If you don’t eat less calories than you need in a day, you won’t lose weight. If you do, you will.

It’s really that simple.

Also your metabolism doesn’t “slow down” due to your “new eating pattern”. The reason you put back on weight is the same reason you lost it. Calories.

People who weight less need less calories.

Your metabolism doesn’t “slow down” due to you eating less at least not in timeframes of weeks or even month to month.

Your Basel Metabolic Rate is just the number of calories you need to maintain the same weight at rest and it’s directly proportional to weight. A lighter person needs less. A heavier person needs more.

It doesn’t “slow down”.

All that’s happening is that as you eat less, you lose weight, and as you lose weight you have a lower calorie need to maintain it. So when you go back to eating regular amounts you are usually eating in a calorie surplus and so gain weight.

Weight loss fundamentally is about calories in and calories out.
                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

My RMR is 1344, from a test in February.

Meaning if I lay motionless for the whole day my body would consume 1344 kcal

Comment

And your activity level prob brings it up to an average of 2000 a day.
                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                          why?
                                                                                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

In fairness Lazare you look built for long distance slim naturally. I was ok at long distance as a kid cross country but was an excellent sprinter. Even when I fat a d older early 30s in rugby training with 70 lads I’d be top 3-4 in 20 meter sprints llonger distances I’d be a disaster. Been counting my calories and I putted how much I wanted to lose on my fitness pal. Allowing me to lose 2 pounds a week I’m allowed 2650 calories before I’ve walked a step. Now if you eat clean foods veg meats some fruit a few nuts even dairy it’s a lot of food. Can still enjoy food even does not feel like dieting. There is nothing extreme about it walking 10-16 miles a day. Will incorporate some jogging feel better and am ahead of schedule. Think it is sustainable but log everything I eat no selective memory loss here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                              What if you had a brilliant surgeon say cardiologist and he was a bit chubby would you not heed his advice cos he likes a few cakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                And your activity level prob brings it up to an average of 2000 a day.
                                                                                                It's about 2300 average I would say over the past few months.

Comment

1. Eating too many calories.
                                                                                                  2. Adherence to eating less calories

Solve both of those problems and you will lose all the weight you want.

One requires you to figure out what you need to eat to maintain and eat less.
                                                                                                  Two requires you to find some discipline.

It’s hard.
                                                                                                  Highly calorific foods are curiously delicious to a human for the same reason sweet foods are. Energy!!

Guessing how many calories are in a food is a recipe for disaster.
                                                                                                  Guessing how much you’ve burned on that run is too.

Often you get it hilariously wrong in both directions. Eating way too much and overestimating the exercise burn (those stupid calorie counters on gym machines are to blame for this nonsense).

Oh I burned 800 calories in yoga. You did in your hoop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                                                    In fairness Lazare you look built for long distance slim naturally. I was ok at long distance as a kid cross country but was an excellent sprinter. Even when I fat a d older early 30s in rugby training with 70 lads I’d be top 3-4 in 20 meter sprints llonger distances I’d be a disaster. Been counting my calories and I putted how much I wanted to lose on my fitness pal. Allowing me to lose 2 pounds a week I’m allowed 2650 calories before I’ve walked a step. Now if you eat clean foods veg meats some fruit a few nuts even dairy it’s a lot of food. Can still enjoy food even does not feel like dieting. There is nothing extreme about it walking 10-16 miles a day. Will incorporate some jogging feel better and am ahead of schedule. Think it is sustainable but log everything I eat no selective memory loss here.
                                                                                                    That's some amount of walking Mick, fair play. Yeah a bit of easy jogging added to the mix will work wonders.

Yeah, I'm a skinny fucker, always have been. Finally found something in life where it's a positive. No longer self conscious about it.

Comment

If you want to lose weight. Eat less calories.
                                                                                                      If you want to lose weight and be healthy. Eat less calories and eat nutritious foods.
                                                                                                      If you want to lose weight and keep decent muscular density and be healthy, eat less calories and eat nutritious foods high in protein.

There is no magic. If you don’t eat less calories than you need in a day, you won’t lose weight. If you do, you will.

It’s really that simple.

Also your metabolism doesn’t “slow down” due to your “new eating pattern”. The reason you put back on weight is the same reason you lost it. Calories.

People who weight less need less calories.

Your metabolism doesn’t “slow down” due to you eating less at least not in timeframes of weeks or even month to month.

Your Basel Metabolic Rate is just the number of calories you need to maintain the same weight at rest and it’s directly proportional to weight. A lighter person needs less. A heavier person needs more.

It doesn’t “slow down”.

All that’s happening is that as you eat less, you lose weight, and as you lose weight you have a lower calorie need to maintain it. So when you go back to eating regular amounts you are usually eating in a calorie surplus and so gain weight.

Weight loss fundamentally is about calories in and calories out.
                                                                                                      Exactly. I think that should be the foundation of the discussion when talking about weight loss specifically. Any "diet" or "weight loss programme" that doesn't have calories as a cornerstone is fundamentally flawed*

*yes there are exceptions, but for ~99% of people this is true. This may not apply for some individuals with certain medical conditions etc
                                                                                                      **weight loss and overall health are not the same thing, but they are linked. Overall health is a more all encompassing discussion. Saying calories are important is not the same as saying calories are the be-all and end-all or that calories are the only thing that matters.
                                                                                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

1. Eating too many calories.
                                                                                                        2. Adherence to eating less calories

Solve both of those problems and you will lose all the weight you want.

One requires you to figure out what you need to eat to maintain and eat less.
                                                                                                        Two requires you to find some discipline.

It’s hard.
                                                                                                        Highly calorific foods are curiously delicious to a human for the same reason sweet foods are. Energy!!

Guessing how many calories are in a food is a recipe for disaster.
                                                                                                        Guessing how much you’ve burned on that run is too.

Often you get it hilariously wrong in both directions. Eating way too much and overestimating the exercise burn (those stupid calorie counters on gym machines are to blame for this nonsense).

Oh I burned 800 calories in yoga. You did in your hoop.
                                                                                                        Once people understand the basic science (which, in one sentence, you could say is calories-in vs calories-out), weight loss is largely a psychological endeavour imo. Which is why I think finding what works for the individual is the best advice.

Intermittent fasting, eating small meals, keto, no sugar at all, a little bit of sugar to curb surgar cravings, if it fits your macros, adding more exercise so you can eat more, not eating meat on Fridays etc etc are all legitimate ideas. There are pros and cons of any "diet", but as they say, the best "diet" is the one you can stick to.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Jam-Fly; 02-05-20, 16:32.
                                                                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Sat into a 27 e buy in on party poker. Its been a while like.

Did a deal heads up little over 500 quid, fucking delighted

Withdrew immediately!
                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                                            Actual language used from the interview, "did we miss a trick in the nursing homes"

If you think that's appropriate in tone, you can fuck off. I'll certainly be advising my parents in the strongest possible terms to continue to stay inside. Imagine you lost an elderly loved one and are watching that shite. No issue with going on the LL, understand it cant always be hardhiitng stuff, but where was the platform for actual media and journalists to ask questions?

I'm fucking amazed people are Ok with this, but seem to very much be in the minority.
                                                                                                            Well now, you're posting in a place where politics is treated as a team sport, and there are lots of FG jerseys pulled snugly around the shoulders. My favourite recent example of this was Varadkar's announcement that he had reregistered as a doctor being salivated upon to much thanks for how it would 'melt the heads' of his critics or some such.

I'm personally of the view that a national Public Health emergency is a time to give the sitting government a lot of leeway. That said, it's valid to question the cosiness of last night's chat. To be honest, Tubs has always been a terrible interviewer, and gets it wrong in all sorts of scenarios. We should be wary of softball prime time tv on the national broadcaster for a leader at any point. If it's a political broadcast or national statement it should be presented in that way.

The nursing home stuff and testing backlogs are areas where the government has performed poorly in reacting to this crisis. That said, overall they have done an excellent job in trying circumstances. The roadmap released yesterday is pitched at the right level of detail and strikes the right notes imo. They also deserve credit for not trying to fudge or obfuscate numbers that indicate failings in the way their UK counterparts have done and continue to do so. That more than any other thing will help to maintain trust and support from the public.
                                                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Well that's a very good post.

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                                                                                why?
                                                                                                                Wankbank material obv.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                    I'm doing 5K2C

Yep have used it for a couple of games in exactly that regard, prizes agreed on & shipped after. Works well, can have zoom running on the side. Game owner decides when blinds go up, can pause the game as required. Good craic!

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                        Normal People is a quality production. Feels authentic in its Irishness. Evocative of relationships many of us had in our youth. Has a real depth to it. Lenny knows what he is doing.

The champagne glass wanker scene made me chuckle.

Your man from it came across very well on the late late.
                                                                                                                        Listened to LiveLine during the week with an aul lad on talking about "fornication" and how the "young married women of the parish" had contacted him complaining about it. 37 official complaints to it apparently fielded by RTE.

I thought it was excellent, with really positive presentations of youth interactions and sexual consent. Plus it looks and sounds great.
                                                                                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                          Race Across the World is a decent show. 5 teams set off from London to see who is the first to make it to Singapore without using flights. They have the price of the flight to do the trip and nothing else.

It's by BBC, so none of that camera-edited fake-tension nonsense of the American types of these shows. Just five couples trying to work out the seemingly impossible. Find it very nice. As much a tourism show as a race.
                                                                                                                          A fantastic show. That was season 1 travelling through Asia, season 2 just finished last week travelling from Mexico, through South America and finishing in Argentina at the worlds most southerly point. Season 3 is open for applications now. Not sure where they're going but through Africa would make a great show.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X