Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see The Unicorn is next on the chopping block (albeit for rental apartments incorporating a new restaurant).

"Former environment editor of The Irish Times, Frank McDonald, submitted his observation to the board in support of the objectors’ opposition.

Mr McDonald argued that The Unicorn restaurant was “legendary” and had a long-established cultural context, operating since 1938.

Mr McDonald was following up on his original objection with Dublin City Council where he said the Unicorn “has been part of the landscape and cultural memory of Dublin, patronised by a diverse and loyal clientele that included politicians, civil servants, lawyers, architects, artists, writers and business people”.

Mr McDonald said that the loss of a long-established restaurant would be a "serious blow to the cultural landscape of Dublin”.
    Last edited by Dice75; 11-10-21, 17:20.

Comment

All gone to shit since our resident townplanner Ghostface went underground. Probably counting his millions.

Comment

Beautiful! That looks amazing just based on the front cover.

Edit: DPs comic, not the fact that an artsyfartsy restaurant is being burned to the ground
        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 11-10-21, 17:16.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

He writes well (as do most of the contributors to the Currency). I presume you have a Uni-paid for sub?
          Yeah, you can see from chatting to him and from his newsletter that he's proper into investment.

No uni sub, so I just pay it myself - seems like the type of thing a prof of finance should be supporting.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I bought a copy of watchmen today, ostensibly for no1 grandchild (32 months old) telling her I'll mind it for her until she's 16 and here's a Dr Suess to keep you ticking over until then
            I can't be the only one whom found it to be a slog to get through?
            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

I can't be the only one whom found it to be a slog to get through?
              Yeah, i was a bit lost in places tbh. That and V for Vendetta have aged a wee bit, or have better movie versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                I see The Unicorn is next on the chopping block (albeit for rental apartments incorporating a new restaurant).

"Former environment editor of The Irish Times, Frank McDonald, submitted his observation to the board in support of the objectors’ opposition.

Mr McDonald argued that The Unicorn restaurant was “legendary” and had a long-established cultural context, operating since 1938.

Mr McDonald was following up on his original objection with Dublin City Council where he said the Unicorn “has been part of the landscape and cultural memory of Dublin, patronised by a diverse and loyal clientele that included politicians, civil servants, lawyers, architects, artists, writers and business people”.

Mr McDonald said that the loss of a long-established restaurant would be a "serious blow to the cultural landscape of Dublin”.

I do like the wording of one of the original objections from back in 2020

The association told the council that a new building with unsupervised short-term lets “in this neighbourhood with its surrounding pubs and night-life risks its deterioration into a Honky-Tonk, Temple Bar type location”.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Yeah, i was a bit lost in places tbh. That and V for Vendetta have aged a wee bit, or have better movie versions.
                  Jesus Christ, on both examples there you are way wrong. In my opinion anyway.

From Hell is another fantastic piece of art deminished by a shoddy movie.
                  Y: The Last Man s currently in it's fist season of tv, not bad so far. But the comic run is well worth checking out
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

V for Vendetta have aged a wee bit.
                    Harsh.

But fair.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Jesus Christ, on both examples there you are way wrong. In my opinion anyway.

From Hell is another fantastic piece of art deminished by a shoddy movie.
                      Y: The Last Man s currently in it's fist season of tv, not bad so far. But the comic run is well worth checking out
                      You watching Foundation ? Not familiar with the subject at all and am blown away with the story and where it can go, could be epic.
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Its been a minute...

Came across some oxtail last week so decided to make some beef tacos.

PXL-20211010-124001897.jpg

PXL-20211010-143959610.jpg

Smoked for 3 hours then off to a guinness bath for another 3.

PXL-20211011-105018946-MP.jpg

PXL-20211011-150633193.jpg

Amazed at the amount of meat.

PXL-20211011-155148822.jpg

Made some tortillas and inhaled.

PXL-20211011-155922252.jpg

PXL-20211011-160555060.jpg

PXL-20211011-163000520.jpg

PXL-20211011-163300393.jpg
                        This too shall pass.

Comment

oleras - bloody starving and did not need to see that GFYO

Comment

You think you make good tacos until you see that. Taco press and all is impressive, you must have some serious kitchen storage, I use parchment paper and a saucepan.

Do you ever try the masa tacos or just flour?
                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                              Just saw the replay of the Fury v Wilder match there. Very entertaining. Could see them fighting again.
                              Fury bate the shite out of him.

Comment

No reason for Tyson to give him another chance he's definitively proven himself the better man.

KIll time with a mandatory defense against Whyte and hope for a money match against AJ
                                or unifying fight with Usyk of he wins rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

You watching Foundation ? Not familiar with the subject at all and am blown away with the story and where it can go, could be epic.
                                  I'm really enjoying it. I read the entire series as a kid so it's great to see it on the little screen!

Comment

Bloody hell Oleras I'm going to use a phrase I never use cos it's for morons and American beours and I detest it but Oh. My. God. Looks truly amazing.

When is that post-covid dinner in your gaff

Comment

Meat is murder and bread/tortilla is a killer.
                                      Have you all forgotten the warnings of dearest Icky???
                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                        You think you make good tacos until you see that. Taco press and all is impressive, you must have some serious kitchen storage, I use parchment paper and a saucepan.

Do you ever try the masa tacos or just flour?
                                        Cant find the masa flour easily, must order some online. Storage is an issue to be honest.
                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                          Bloody hell Oleras I'm going to use a phrase I never use cos it's for morons and American beours and I detest it but Oh. My. God. Looks truly amazing.

When is that post-covid dinner in your gaff
                                          Im only really good for one course..that was nearly 8 hours in the making.

The new toy, such a steep learning curve from just using charcoal...so far i have only ruined a chicken, rack of ribs and an albeit very lean brisket flat, fun learning though !

PXL-20211004-162734772.jpg

PXL-20211004-162802320.jpg

PXL-20211005-155044746-MP.jpg
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Ole you are the King. Holy fuck.

I was telling my missus all about you the other day, about your set up. Showed her the pics just now. Bleedin amazing.

I could smell those tacos.
                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Wow that's some setup. I remember that shed when it was a few planks.

Comment

Having a bit of a disagreement with the wife about speeding. She thinks being caught is a high chance event, while I was thinking that if you are out at night and the roads are all empty, its probably a tiny chance of being caught. Nothing excessive, just maybe 10 above speed limit when the road is clear and straight. Thats surely no bother and tiny chance of being caught outside of regular hours? Whats the general habit? Just go the speed that the cars on the road allow, or stick closely to limits for fear of being done in?

Comment

Well first of all determine how inflated the speedometer is on your car by checking it versus Google Maps speed. You may think your speeding but actually going the speed limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                    I'm somewhat baffled by your post?

You then seem to be underestimating the impact The Cobblestone has had here. If you do even the slightest bit of research, you will the sheer amount of people who are crediting it with getting their break, a place that was so influential to them. To label it as some tourist spot full of pisspoor amateurs is way off the mark.
                                                    OK well it doesn't take much away from anything else I was saying other than about the value of it as a cultural institution, I'll allow myself the excuse that I'm on a break in London so not quite following the Irish news but I just realised that I had conflated the cobblestone and Merchant's arch stories as one and I thought you were all trying to preserve that kip of a pub in Temple bar
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Having a bit of a disagreement with the wife about speeding. She thinks being caught is a high chance event, while I was thinking that if you are out at night and the roads are all empty, its probably a tiny chance of being caught. Nothing excessive, just maybe 10 above speed limit when the road is clear and straight. Thats surely no bother and tiny chance of being caught outside of regular hours? Whats the general habit? Just go the speed that the cars on the road allow, or stick closely to limits for fear of being done in?
                                                      Heard before that of you were within 10% of the speed limit that you wouldn't be fined/prosecuted.

While there is a certain bit of logic to it, it's still quite likely to be an old wives tail though.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                        Well first of all determine how inflated the speedometer is on your car by checking it versus Google Maps speed. You may think your speeding but actually going the speed limit.
                                                        Ah? I'd noticed the difference, but was thinking Google Maps was wrong.

Comment

Ah? I'd noticed the difference, but was thinking Google Maps was wrong.
                                                          Waze/google map supposedly averages out the speed based on GPS tracking so it should be a good approximation. Every car I've been on the speed always appeared 5% to 10%-ish faster than waze/maps speed (noticeable on national roads or motorway as they're all 100kph +).

I've definitely been potentially tagged based on the speed of my dial being slightly over BUT haven't got a ticket yet. I would flick on the cruise control at the limit on Waze/google maps and never worry about it. I've no idea what the +/- tolerance or margin for error on those speed guns but I'd suspect it's around 3-5%.

Aside from this, you're in an EV and the general rule is to keep it under 100kph to save battery so I'd probably be more worried about that tbh.

Comment

Wow that's some setup. I remember that shed when it was a few planks.
                                                            They grow up so fast !
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Shilling for my niece whose trying to win a competition on bear FM in Waterford

I don't really get insta but if you can go into the story and vote for Chloe and Veronica please. If you've got nothing better to do for a few moments

https://instagram.com/beat102103?utm_medium=copy_link

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Learn to drive competently first before moving up

Comment

You are driving how long?
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Probably should pass your driving test before you worry about speeding but driving over the speed limit in a residential area is not good at any time of day or night.

Comment

When on national roads/motorways.(Where the limit is 120) Set the cruise to 130km/h. Garda/Vans will only hit you over 132. Tried and tested. Confirmed by Gard friends.

Why is there no campaigns from RSA about sticking to the left lane unless overtaking so you greatly reduce your chance of smashing head on with people heading down the wrong side of the motorway? It happens so so often. You don't even see it coming. Your brain looks for the red lights and it happens so fast. So many fatalities because of it.

Comment

Ah yeah. I'm not talking about boy racer 2fast2furious stuff. It's things like 60kmh roads that seem to be in an odd midway point between the speed limits.

Comment

Hitch is a master of his craft tbf

Comment

The budget looks decent. Love the idea of half price public travel for under 24s. Homeowning pensioners are doing pretty decent out of pensions. €2,300 a month for a 66 year old retired couple near the top of their health?

Comment

I must say that lecture series on the history of China in the 20th Century is of remarkably high quality. The guy doing it is wonderful at it.

30 min lectures which I've been listening to during breakfast for the past three weeks and I've learnt so much so far. It's fascinating.

Comment

No. 1 tip I'd give to new drivers.

Move down the gears whilst overtaking. Youd be amazed how many dont cop this simple fact.

Comment

The budget looks decent. Love the idea of half price public travel for under 24s. Homeowning pensioners are doing pretty decent out of pensions. €2,300 a month for a 66 year old retired couple near the top of their health?
                                                                                  They vote.

Comment

Gimmeabreak see Sunday have a runner at Punchestown, best of luck, any insights? Going myself tomorrow, really looking forward to it.
                                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                      I must say that lecture series on the history of China in the 20th Century is of remarkably high quality. The guy doing it is wonderful at it.

30 min lectures which I've been listening to during breakfast for the past three weeks and I've learnt so much so far. It's fascinating.
                                                                                      He really is a master of his craft, isn't he? Just finished it last week. But also what a tapestry of history to work with also - that he seems to have a great knack from bringing alive.

Have you got to the cultural revolution yet? I realise its not necessary to spoiler a 1960/70s public event, but so as to allow him to tell the story in his way I'll spoiler it anyway

SPOILER
                                                                                      Where they sent the millions of college kids to the countryside to be farm labourers with no hope of returning. That was heartwrenching.

Edit: thank you for finding the series, it has very much been the learning highlight of my year.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                        No. 1 tip I'd give to new drivers.

Move down the gears whilst overtaking. Youd be amazed how many dont cop this simple fact.
                                                                                        Nor my wife who has been driving for 15 years

Comment

€200m for retrofitting, allegedly. Be interesting to see if there's any detail behind this.

Comment

Speaking of tradition and culture.

RIP Paddy Maloney

Comment

Could ye link that China history course again please?

Comment

Meant to ask a while back, but can I get a link to the History of China lectures?

Comment

Have that Keano fella on ignore obvs

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                      Why is there no campaigns from RSA about sticking to the left lane unless overtaking so you greatly reduce your chance of smashing head on with people heading down the wrong side of the motorway? It happens so so often. You don't even see it coming. Your brain looks for the red lights and it happens so fast. So many fatalities because of it.
                                                                                                      campaign - no never saw one.
                                                                                                      But it is taught to stay left, and we all know the rightmost lanes are "overtaking lanes", not fast lanes etc as most Irish people name them.
                                                                                                      Then again, learners aren't meant to be on motorways, so maybe it's too late to put theory into practice once they've past the test and are allowed on.

I don't think they could campaign for people to stay left solely on the actions of a few drugged up Muppets escaping the guards though really.
                                                                                                      Perhaps the campaign should be "let's not drive the wrong way on a motorway to begin with".
                                                                                                      Last edited by Micknail; 12-10-21, 14:13.
                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

campaign - no never saw one.
                                                                                                        But it is taught to stay left, and we all know the rightmost lanes are "overtaking lanes", not fast lanes etc as most Irish people name them.
                                                                                                        Then again, learners aren't meant to be on motorways, so maybe it's too late to put theory into practice once they've past the test and are allowed on.

I don't think they could campaign for people to stay left solely on the actions of a few drugged up Muppets escaping the guards though really.
                                                                                                        Perhaps the campaign should be "let's not drive the wrong way on a motorway to begin with
                                                                                                        ".
                                                                                                        Think that is a bit Naive, If it wasn't for the boys cooking on the Naas Road i would have never thought of people escaping from the Gards and i've long felt like this.
                                                                                                        Most head on collisions on national motorways are caused by this(Obviously) and it's more doddery old folks, genuine mistaken wrong turns on to the motorway, tourists or people on a suicide mission doing the driving in broad daylight then what you suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                          Could ye link that China history course again please?
                                                                                                          https://www.wondrium.com/the-fall-and-rise-of-china

Comment

A fitbit email informs me that my steps last week were 150,252. A not-too-shabby 16.5 kilometres a day. Still haven't caught Tar though.

Comment

Serious light show here last night. We took a spin out to north of city to get away from lights as much as we could and it was class.
                                                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

Think that is a bit Naive, If it wasn't for the boys cooking on the Naas Road i would have never thought of people escaping from the Gards and i've long felt like this.
                                                                                                                Most head on collisions on national motorways are caused by this(Obviously) and it's more doddery old folks, genuine mistaken wrong turns on to the motorway, tourists or people on a suicide mission doing the driving in broad daylight then what you suggested.
                                                                                                                Well improved signage would probably mitigate that, If it even is possible in some of the cases above.

​​​​​​The problem is the bolded people above, not the fact people drive in the correct direction on motorways in the lanes provided.

I'd laugh at the perceived impact on people at an Ad on Tele saying keep left on the motorway, someone might come against you the wrong way!!! What if the scrotes use the hard shoulder to your left, should you stay right just in case?

How many "speed" campaigns do they run, and you have newbie driver here wondering are speed limits really limits in built up areas already?! I really do like driving, and riding a bike, but I do hope lots of road users are allowed to work from home, as they are fucking chronically bad on a daily basis for getting from point A to B.

Tldr, campaigns are shite,
                                                                                                                Most drivers are shite too.
                                                                                                                But don't target the people driving the correct way down a motorway.
                                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

A fitbit email informs me that my steps last week were 150,252. A not-too-shabby 16.5 kilometres a day. Still haven't caught Tar though.
                                                                                                                  Stop walking after him, you need to cut him off at the turns.
                                                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Will we ever give up table service in pubs? It seems a far better system.

Comment

Will we ever give up table service in pubs? It seems a far better system.
                                                                                                                      A far better system if implemented right. But I've seen bar staff who are already sick of it and just end up saying you need to order at the bar. Last 3 places I was in stopped serving us at the table and told us we could only get drinks at the bar.

Then you have the issue of places refusing to split a bill which means someone has to pay and we have the hassle of who owes what to transfer it to bank or revolut or sort out cash.

Much easier to just go to the bar, get my drink, pay and be happy. Irish bar staff are pretty shite in general anyway and table service has been pretty poor most places I've been.

Comment

I will be happy to see the back of masks tho. I'm not anti mask and I wear it everywhere I'm required to but jesus I'm sick of it. The sooner we go back to optional, the better. At this stage people should have the choice whether to wear them or not and decide on what situation requires it.

Comment

Ballsy stance from Sally Rooney. Fair play.
                                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X