This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by premierstone View Post

Surely now you are just taking the piss??
    No. I'm not.

I don't use Insta. FB. Have no news feeds. Dont read the news papers. Certainly dont watch the news. Any views I have ate experential and guttural.intuitive sense of things.

I coold be radically wrong.

If you consider this social media, yeah maybe, but naively come in here as the place used to be utterly fascinating.

I no longer find it so. People change. I have. so have a lot of the posters I used to resonate with. And huge numbers no longer post.

Again I'd ask not to be quoted again. No longer want to be involved in the conversation. I also dont want anyone to feel.ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
      So, to try and respond a little less emotively.

I think anyone with the inclination to understand my opinion and POV, to actually understand why I am emotive, can understand why if they actually read my posts.

I think It is an extremely dangerous, and invasive overreach, for gov/pharma/tech (essentially this has become one arm) to suspend or take peoples right to work away if the want to choose what goes into their body. It's that simple. A lot of you seem to agree, that it should be a personal choice, but dont view that implicit coercion as not making it a choice, in what my definition of the word is.

I wont be responding to anything else. Actually finding this whole exchange quite traumatic as I am quite a sensitive person.

I believe we have a right to decide what goes into our body. I dont think our rights, to x y or z should be dependant on that. That's it.
      I think there are certain merits to what you are saying but I just don’t think it applies here tbh. This is a global pandemic, the likes we have never as a generation have never seen before, so some measures which aren’t in some people ideals have to be taken for the greater good. It has, so far, very few (for the population of people who have taken it) side effects and lots of very obvious good ones so I don’t, in this instance, feel that’s it’s an overreach by govt to try to do what it can to pursuance take up. You do, and that’s fine but we mostly disagree hence why there’s few people backing you on it. I don’t think you’re stupid I just disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
        jbravado

Perhaps post a bit about poker, food choices etc. Would be interested in hearing about that.

If you find yourself getting so frustrated that you're telling people to GFY etc you're not doing yourself any good and like you say you are a sensitive person which makes it even more difficult.

I think sometimes in life we need to compartmentalise things a bit to stay sane. Would enjoy hearing a tourney story, mental preparation etc.
        How did your health improve with giving up processed food etc.

Anyway just my 2c good luck anyway.
        Thanks very much but cant imagine that would be very interesting and I have no interst in doing so. Defo right about the other stuff. Thanks and all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Not being old or obese is the main thing.

People who are vaccinated are less likely to spread it, and if they do spread it they deliver a far lower viral load. Meaning milder infections. Also less likely to need hospitalisation or intensive care, which frees up space for others.
          Or internally obese etc etc. Be healthy. It will help. I'm fairly sure we may all be able to agree on that.

I dont know anything about that, not sure if it correlates with a lot of the emerging studies. Perhaps it does. I dont know

goodluck, be well.

Comment

jbravado

All right chief, take it easy.

Comment

Hard to see Sam get so exasperated. But also very hard to agree with him.

His underlying point that people are asleep at the wheel in comfy scenarios is very true.

I’ve had a lot of convos on this recently on the golf course. Makes for an awkward 4 hours when bucko tells you on the first tee how “Turdeau(good lol) and his cronies just want you to get vaxxed for control”.

Starting to just not engage anymore. Tired. Over it. Just wanna queef my ball into the woods in peace mate.
              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

. So the Chief died than ?

Remember this tribute

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                  Hard to see Sam get so exasperated. But also very hard to agree with him.

His underlying point that people are asleep at the wheel in comfy scenarios is very true.

I’ve had a lot of convos on this recently on the golf course. Makes for an awkward 4 hours when bucko tells you on the first tee how “Turdeau(good lol) and his cronies just want you to get vaxxed for control”.

Starting to just not engage anymore. Tired. Over it. Just wanna queef my ball into the woods in peace mate.
                  QUEEF ? Ah here

Comment

If ya ever listen real closely to a big right miss Willy. A big high spinny slice.

Pffffffffffffffffff

That’s the sound it makes.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

So maybe don't go to the canaries folks
                      https://youtu.be/h52mZbIteOw
                      ​​
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

No. I'm not.

I don't use Insta. FB. Have no news feeds. Dont read the news papers. Certainly dont watch the news. Any views I have ate experential and guttural.intuitive sense of things.
                        Where are you getting your info from then? Because much of what you're saying is either plain wrong or extremely questionable, and whenever any of us point out a mistake you're making, you just move on to some other point where you're either plain wrong or extremely questionable. It''s like a never ending game of whackamole for us and it's extremely frustrating for everyone, and taking a huge amount of energy out of everyone including yourself. Break the cycle m8.
                        Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 19-09-21, 21:41.
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

If ya ever listen real closely to a big right miss Willy. A big high spinny slice.

Pffffffffffffffffff

A miss for sure .

Comment

Pffffffffffffffffff

Best moment ever on a golf course was the time a load of ducks laughed at my m8s horrible tee shot.

The perfect guy for it to happen to too. A lad that takes himself far too serious on a golf course.

We were standing behind him. He swung this horrible disgusting clanger of a shot, ball skidding off the end of the tee box.

Right at that moment about 50 ducks on a nearby lake burst out with 'WHEHH WHEHH WHEHH WEH'

It was beautiful.
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Status Quo Bias: Those who were unfazed by Covid because it had a ~1% fatality rate were suddenly concerned about vaccines when they yielded a 1 in a ~million fatality rate. People see the risks of doing something but not the risks of doing nothing.

From this amazing tweet thread, some cracking stuff in there...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                ​​
                                I'm off in 10 days ​​​​​​
                                Be grand....
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Q1. Will employers have the right ask employees what their vaccination status is? Personal medical information. Who will check? How will the data be stored, protected and maintained? Regulations will have to be put in place right? Will the political appetite be there to put these regulations in place given how hot the issue will become?

Q2. If an employer is given the right to esquire about and profile based on Covid vax status, will they be able to profile on other metrics too without it being in an employees contact? Flu jab status, drugs in system, alcohol in system, pregnancy or mental health status? HGV drivers are profiled based of rest taken between driving period for example, underpinned by employment law of course.

Q3. Should employers who bar unvaxed employees show up to work have to pay them or at least enable them to work remotely where possible?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

PG reading bbv
                                    https://mobile.twitter.com/paulg/sta...96638134702083

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                      Status Quo Bias: Those who were unfazed by Covid because it had a ~1% fatality rate were suddenly concerned about vaccines when they yielded a 1 in a ~million fatality rate. People see the risks of doing something but not the risks of doing nothing.

Sounds like prospect theory too.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                        Q1. Will employers have the right ask employees what their vaccination status is? Personal medical information. Who will check? How will the data be stored, protected and maintained? Regulations will have to be put in place right? Will the political appetite be there to put these regulations in place given how hot the issue will become?

Q2. If an employer is given the right to esquire about and profile based on Covid vax status, will they be able to profile on other metrics too without it being in an employees contact? Flu jab status, drugs in system, alcohol in system, pregnancy or mental health status? HGV drivers are profiled based of rest taken between driving period for example, underpinned by employment law of course.

Q3. Should employers who bar unvaxed employees show up to work have to pay them or at least enable them to work remotely where possible?

The answer to question 1 is no. As it was announced on Friday in the Work Safely Protocol that they wouldnt have the right to ask.

So that makes questions 2 and 3 redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Why don't you look at some of the real life cases where employers have done exactly this? I'm sure the answers are out there, it's not some hypothetical where these things need to be resolved - it's already happened.

Like those 3k French healthcare workers who are now suspended for example.
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I don't really ever look at Twittery stuff but that is some good shit right there.

'The toxoplasma of rage'.

Comment

Loads of employees do medicals in work, no? Or at least to start a job. The system for recording is already in place. Whatever it is.
                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I was listening to a podcast recently and the person was saying her favourite sandwich (she was quite old, so it's quite an old idea) is cheese and onion. Been thinking about it nearly nonstop since, without doing anything about it. Fairly certain I've never had a sandwich of purely cheese and onion, but she was raving about it. She was mentioning about how you need a 'solid' bread, like a sourdough, and good mature cheddar, and a proper onion (of which only her local shop in some London Borough still sold). I've just been imagining the flavours - that lovely reliable cheddar stonking away and then you crunch into a piece of onion and that starts blasting away doing its thing. Sounds glorious. And presumably the reason why cheese and onion crisps were the original flavour.
                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                  ​​
                                                  Good call. There'll be more of it to visit when that stuff cools down.
                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

That's it's taking the steps to delete my account. So all the best to you all. Continued health and be well. Sorry I called you a prick Raoul and told you to fuck yourself Lazare.

Goodluck.
                                                    Good idea: your posts display all the signs of somebody going off the deep end

Comment

Those who enjoyed don’t fck with cats series might enjoy a quick search online for gabby petito. A don’t fck with cats as it’s unfolding presently. IG account houseinhabit story has lots. Mad stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        I was listening to a podcast recently and the person was saying her favourite sandwich (she was quite old, so it's quite an old idea) is cheese and onion. Been thinking about it nearly nonstop since, without doing anything about it. Fairly certain I've never had a sandwich of purely cheese and onion, but she was raving about it. She was mentioning about how you need a 'solid' bread, like a sourdough, and good mature cheddar, and a proper onion (of which only her local shop in some London Borough still sold). I've just been imagining the flavours - that lovely reliable cheddar stonking away and then you crunch into a piece of onion and that starts blasting away doing its thing. Sounds glorious. And presumably the reason why cheese and onion crisps were the original flavour.
                                                        Bag of cheese n onion. King is my preferred brand. Batch bread, sourdough a close 2nd, kerrygold butter lathered onto it and a big mug of strong tae. Make your sandwich and enjoy. Pure fucking bliss.

Comment

Didnt mean to ignore you.

I'm not places to answer

You can check this yourself but currently CDC website

0-19: age - 99.997 recovery rate

20-29 age - 99.98%

50-69 age -99.5%

70 + 94.6 %

I'd imagine this most vunerable agre group are now fully vaxed, non vaxxed getting vaxxed doesnt seem to reduce potential infection much. It clearly helps people get less sick.

There could well be a pathogen or virus that I would be onboard with compulsory vaccination. I'm not placed to know what numbers that would have to correlate to.

would you be comfortable handing your old man a 20 chamber revolver, telling him there’s one bullet in it, and that he had to spin the chamber and fire off one shot to his temple per month for the rest of his days?

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

I'm not being smart but if he is , perhaps he needs some support . There is some merit in his points however I think he is extremely passionate about them as opposed to merely being argumentative. I disagree with his argument but glad hes thinking about it to that level . No point in debating the issue further we all seem polarised in our diff viewpoint. What lies ahead is very interesting for sure .

btw Dun Laoghaire was hopping today . Was great .

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Why don't you look at some of the real life cases where employers have done exactly this? I'm sure the answers are out there, it's not some hypothetical where these things need to be resolved - it's already happened.

Like those 3k French healthcare workers who are now suspended for example.
                                                              In fairness I'd sat wombat was asking about Ireland specifically since the majority of posters here are in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Not sure why, but you have been utterly obnoxious to me 3 times in the last few times I posted. I have met you many times in real life and you were fine. We disagree politically essentially. That's Ok

Deep.end, because I believe passion people should have a right to.decide to what goes into their body.

I have been living in communities where people break breast together. Hug. Kiss. Live. No masks. No fear. People get sick. And recover. Acknowledge death is part of life. Actually sit with feelings of unpleasantness. Something almost everyone could do.

Again I'd ask you not to reference me in th is ongoing conversation.

Be well and all the best to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I'm not being smart but if he is , perhaps he needs some support . There is some merit in his points however I think he is extremely passionate about them as opposed to merely being argumentative. I disagree with his argument but glad hes thinking about it to that level . No point in debating the issue further we all seem polarised in our diff viewpoint. What lies ahead is very interesting for sure .

btw Dun Laoghaire was hopping today . Was great .
                                                                  I am extremely passionate about people have a right to decide what goes into their body. Yes. I am. That expression is now going off the deep end and as I am astonished that more here done feel the same, I'm off on one? Ok, if you feel like that.

Suprised I have to say this to a group that conaideres themselves so intelligent but, depending on your echo chamber, you are the weirdo or the guy who agrees with everyone. There are millions upon millions around the world who share my beliefs that this right is worth something. You guys dont. Fair enough.

Comment

I don't really ever look at Twittery stuff but that is some good shit right there.

'The toxoplasma of rage'.
                                                                    He did a similar one last year, equally as good if not better..

Comment

[QUOTE=Gimmeabreak;n1702601]

would you be comfortable handing your old man a 20 chamber revolver, telling him there’s one bullet in it, and that he had to spin the chamber and fire off one shot to his temple per month for the rest of his days?

I have seen my father go from being an active man, driven by social interaction, to a terrified old man, who crosses the road if he sees people coming who watches the news every day, gorges on death numbers and has to cajoled into leaving his house.

honestly I'd rather not see him rot. Grey. All of this lies in they grey.

Not black and white. But I'm the one not thinking clearly? Sure.

Comment

jbravado Sam, not sure what else you've done with some of the stuff you've wrote, as in, put out there but this is a nice forum if you ever felt like sharing. I think your mosquito poem would be well received.

https://www.thepoetryforum.co.uk

Comment

I have been living in communities where people break breast together.
                                                                          Your phone's autocorrect is dishing the dirt!

Comment

[QUOTE=jbravado;n1702604]

Not sure why, but you have been utterly obnoxious to me 3 times in the last few times I posted. I have met you many times in real life and you were fine. We disagree politically essentially. That's Ok

Huh??? Are you sure? I have never been intentionally obnoxious to you (or to any other poster I hope). Anyway, as you say yourself, be well.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

In fairness I'd sat wombat was asking about Ireland specifically since the majority of posters here are in Ireland
                                                                              OK, but France\Italy have the same EU legal framework so surely not that much of a leap forward?

Comment

RIP Greavsie.

It's a funny old game.

Comment

To balance my previous point on country v Dublin indoor requirements was in a bar off Stephens Green on Saturday and no info asked for or Covid Cert etc. Things seem to be loosening up fairly qucikly.

PS - No need to delete your acoount Sam, there are valid points on both sides and you are in a passionate place about arguing your point which is just your personality coming through.

Comment

Would many of ye have just given up the telly altogether? (not watching shows, but watching TV channels)
                                                                                    Not quite what he was getting at
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Was also in Dun Laoghaire yesterday and never seen it so busy - was really lovely, the outdoors market set up split across the library garden and the People's Park is so great. DL is such a weird place otherwise, some streets/squares look like heaven and others just around the corner are massively run down.

Comment

Anyone looking for a job or know someone who is? I posted our last opening here and we ended up hiring a friend of an IPBer, and he seems like he's enjoying it! Two roles open at present for people who know something about poker.

One thing to mention that isn't really obvious here is how generous the performance/annual bonus element of the package is; as people might know I worked at both Paddys and Full Tilt/PokerStars and our bonus is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than either, I'm pretty sure for most roles our bonus % is multiples of our competitors.

https://ie.indeed.com/jobs?q=ggpoker&l=North%20Dublin%2C%20County%20Dubl in&advn=6847671775805959&vjk=5d24e6d73fdaf356
                                                                                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 20-09-21, 15:39.

Comment

This is the last week of Angela Merkel's Chancellorship.

Surely the most important European political figure of our adult lifetimes, yet also the most low-key.

Comment

I am extremely passionate about people have a right to decide what goes into their body. [...]There are millions upon millions around the world who share my beliefs that this right is worth something.
                                                                                            The Irish State agrees with you Sam. It's been recognised as a right here for decades. Thing is, rights are not immutable. There are no truly absolute rights because each person's rights necessarily, at certain points, come into conflict with the rights of others. The right to refuse a vaccine, for example, means that the general populace will be more at risk from you and that the rest of us, through the State, may need to accommodate your medical needs in the event of you contracting the virus. So there is a conflicting rights issue. Those are not easily resolved.

Generally you need to examine the relative degrees of harm caused by the exercise of each right. If not taking the vaccine meant that you and you alone were at risk then there's no issue. You can refuse it. Jehovah's Witnesses refuse life-saving blood transfusions all the time, as is their right. For adults at least, this is not a controversy. However, when your choice impacts on the well-being and health of others, then we have to assess the risk to them from your action and decide what the proportionate response should be.

I think it is probably reasonable to arrive at a conclusion where the State will not actively force you to take the vaccine but, if you make that choice, that certain restrictions are placed on your ability to interact with society for the protection of those people who have taken the vaccine or, more to the point, for those people who wish to but cannot take the vaccine. That seems to me to be a proportionate balancing of rights, where you can make the choice you wish but you must do so in the knowledge that it will have certain consequences for the protection of others.

I know you aren't against the vaccine Sam, lest that be unclear. Rather against mandatory vaccination. As I've said before in this thread, it is not an easy question to answer and I think people with good intentions and fully armed with the facts can have genuine disagreements about the right approach to take. This is not a case of good faith v bad faith arguments. It's a genuinely difficult moral and social problem that, like most issues of that nature, probably has no absolutely correct answer.
                                                                                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I have seen my father go from being an active man, driven by social interaction, to a terrified old man, who crosses the road if he sees people coming who watches the news every day, gorges on death numbers and has to cajoled into leaving his house.

honestly I'd rather not see him rot. Grey. All of this lies in they grey.

Not black and white. But I'm the one not thinking clearly? Sure.
                                                                                              For the avoidance of any doubt, you've not answered my question. You've rambled complete with an anecdote.

But Nobody seemed to be taking the time to read what you write. So yea, whatever, get down off the stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

The Irish State agrees with you Sam. It's been recognised as a right here for decades. Thing is, rights are not immutable. There are no truly absolute rights because each person's rights necessarily, at certain points, come into conflict with the rights of others. The right to refuse a vaccine, for example, means that the general populace will be more at risk from you and that the rest of us, through the State, may need to accommodate your medical needs in the event of you contracting the virus. So there is a conflicting rights issue. Those are not easily resolved.
                                                                                                Any idea how the other EU states that have implemented mandates have done this?

Surely we can't be that much of a legal outlier?

Comment

Any idea how the other EU states that have implemented mandates have done this?

Surely we can't be that much of a legal outlier?
                                                                                                  Different constitutional regimes give different balances to rights. Ours is a classic common law constitutional order which gives a lot of weight to individual rights over community rights. A lot of civil law systems balance the rights more on the community side. It's really a political choice.

I also think a general mandate might survive legal challenge here if it was done right. The political will just isn't there to do it.

Comment

Had an extremely large dose of luck today. 5 year old punched me full force in between the legs and managed to miss by mms. I was waiting to drop but its seems the todger took the full brunt . I will never again doubt that I run good .
                                                                                                    1st time I was ever close to kicking him up the hole. Little fecker. Still hurt a bit .

Lotto tickets bought for Weds.

Comment

Different constitutional regimes give different balances to rights. Ours is a classic common law constitutional order which gives a lot of weight to individual rights over community rights. A lot of civil law systems balance the rights more on the community side. It's really a political choice.

I also think a general mandate might survive legal challenge here if it was done right. The political will just isn't there to do it.
                                                                                                      So jbravado should take the fight to Italy . Forza Sam

Comment

Not sure if you will know but in health care the hep vaccine seems to be standard - is that mandatory or just a case that everyone gets it so it seems so.

I know my wife has to give proof that her shots are up to date when she moves job for instance?

Comment

Tipped up to Dublin for culture night. Ended up in the National Museum (Archaeology) as our first stop. Pretty cool to see the Ardagh Chalice, Cross of Cong etc. All things that I remember reading about in history books at school over 20 years ago. I was in a kind of stunned drooling state to see them and the condition of some of the artefacts is unbelievable. It's a really great little visit and completely free. Went across the road to the Irish Freemason's Grand Lodge on Molesworth Street. That is a very interesting building and has a pretty cool background. Its only public open day is culture night and well worth booking a tour some time. I knew little of the place and the tour only really touches the surface. The last place we went to was the Little Museum of Dublin which is a trove of recent Irish history and pop culture. Minus points for the U2 room but I won't hold it against them. The guides in the museum are good skins and really get into the role.

The next place I'm most keen on visiting is the Natural History Museum but I believe it's being renovated at the moment. Can't believe I've been in Dublin so many times and never went to any of the museums bar Collins Barracks on a youth club tour.

Loads of employees do medicals in work, no? Or at least to start a job. The system for recording is already in place. Whatever it is.
                                                                                                          In our place, everyone does a medical as part of the hiring process. They do a drug screen before you start but that's it once you're in the door. Numerous people have never turned up or ghosted once they heard about the screening. The previous HR manager said you wouldn't believe the number of people that popped for weed/pills - I would actually have thought this could have been higher than they suggested but anyway...

Managers were told that they can't ask staff about vaccination status and we only stopped mandatory antigen testing last week. Expecting to see a lot more people encouraged back to the office in October.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Not sure if you will know but in health care the hep vaccine seems to be standard - is that mandatory or just a case that everyone gets it so it seems so.

I know my wife has to give proof that her shots are up to date when she moves job for instance?
                                                                                                            Literally no idea. But I would suspect it's entirely reasonable and proportionate in those circumstances. Plus, if they're a medical professional then they shouldn't really have an issue with vaccines and if they do that's probably a decent red flag.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                              Anyone looking for a job or know someone who is? I posted our last opening here and we ended up hiring a friend of an IPBer, and he seems like he's enjoying it! Two roles open at present for people who know something about poker.

One thing to mention that isn't really obvious here is how generous the performance/annual bonus element of the package is; as people might know I worked at both Paddys and Full Tilt/PokerStars and our bonus is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than either, I'm pretty sure for most roles our bonus % is multiples of our competitors.

https://employers.indeed.com/j#jobs/...d=d2db6029512c
                                                                                                              think you need to fix that link?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                Had an extremely large dose of luck today. 5 year old punched me full force in between the legs and managed to miss by mms. I was waiting to drop but its seems the todger took the full brunt . I will never again doubt that I run good .
                                                                                                                1st time I was ever close to kicking him up the hole. Little fecker. Still hurt a bit .
                                                                                                                Very Freudian.

Comment

Q for BBV, random drug test in the place you work, what's the % rate that will come back positive? I know if you work in a smaller company the numbers will be skewed. Self employed or sole traders we already know its 100% so no need to post
                                                                                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Generally you need to examine the relative degrees of harm caused by the exercise of each right.
                                                                                                                    Extending it beyond rights I have observed that people are as bad at evaluating competing ethical principles in a complex ethical issue as they are at Bayesian probability. Very few people get educated in bioethics, and I almost always see people merely holding to one principle in situations where there are competing ones.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Extending it beyond rights I have observed that people are as bad at evaluating competing ethical principles in a complex ethical issue as they are at Bayesian probability. Very few people get educated in bioethics, and I almost always see people merely holding to one principle in situations where there are competing ones.
                                                                                                                      Could not agree more.

Comment

Literally no idea. But I would suspect it's entirely reasonable and proportionate in those circumstances. Plus, if they're a medical professional then they shouldn't really have an issue with vaccines and if they do that's probably a decent red flag.
                                                                                                                        I either had a head cold (most likely as herself had similar the week before) or mild reaction to the first vaccine dose. I rang the health insurance advice line and they said go to the GP as they need to log stats on reactions and also likely get a Covid test. Ended up in the out of hours doc with an older Saffa chap seeing me. I was a bit taken a back when he started telling me to google Ivermectin and he actually wrote it down on a piece of paper gave it to me after. He couldn't understand why it was being given to Irish patients as it was "proven to have worked" on some group of African people who were being treated for parasites. According to him the side effect of the parasite treatment was a super fast recovery from Covid.....

At that point I hadn't heard a lot about the drug but when I googled as I was instructed, I didn't find any reference to what he was talking about. Only that it had been effective in killing Covid in-vitro with 20x times the safe human dosage. Also that it was a particularly harsh drug that should very carefully administered to humans. Plus all of the alarming psuedo-science claims about it. That was probably only my 2nd questionable interaction with a health professional. The only other-time was a vaccine sceptic nurse but that conversation was not in a clinical setting. Fwiw I was all clear after the test and back at work in a few days.

Comment

Generally you need to examine the relative degrees of harm caused by the exercise of each right. If not taking the vaccine meant that you and you alone were at risk then there's no issue. You can refuse it. Jehovah's Witnesses refuse life-saving blood transfusions all the time, as is their right. For adults at least, this is not a controversy. However, when your choice impacts on the well-being and health of others, then we have to assess the risk to them from your action and decide what the proportionate response should be.

I think it is probably reasonable to arrive at a conclusion where the State will not actively force you to take the vaccine but, if you make that choice, that certain restrictions are placed on your ability to interact with society for the protection of those people who have taken the vaccine or, more to the point, for those people who wish to but cannot take the vaccine. That seems to me to be a proportionate balancing of rights, where you can make the choice you wish but you must do so in the knowledge that it will have certain consequences for the protection of others.

I know you aren't against the vaccine Sam, lest that be unclear. Rather against mandatory vaccination. As I've said before in this thread, it is not an easy question to answer and I think people with good intentions and fully armed with the facts can have genuine disagreements about the right approach to take. This is not a case of good faith v bad faith arguments. It's a genuinely difficult moral and social problem that, like most issues of that nature, probably has no absolutely correct answer.
                                                                                                                          It's the precedence that would be set I'd be concerned about. Like in software development, when fixes are applied, bugs and exploits are often unwittingly introduced too.

Being vaccinated has a massive impact on your ability to fight the virus. Like maybe only 17% of those in ICU these days are fully vaccinated. Employers are mainly concerned about the spread of the virus right. I'm not sure if being vaccinated has a massive impact on transmission on a micro scale.
                                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X