This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

How do they late this year get revved up for another season especially the senior players. Thought the ref has had a very good game.
    Not that I know a lot about GAA but one of those teams clearly played to their ability and one played like headless chickens overwhelmed by the occasion.

All those defeats in finals weighed them down.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The curse strikes again!
      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
        The curse strikes again!
        First non-EU winners since '72

Comment

I think Aidan O'shea is the Curse

Comment

Realistically Mayo got a load of credit for beating a zombie Dublin team without even playing well. Tyrone got no credit for beating a good Kerry team with a brilliant performance.

That wasn't a lucky win, if you run that 100 times Tyrone win most for sure.
            ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
              Realistically Mayo got a load of credit for beating a zombie Dublin team without even playing well. Tyrone got no credit for beating a good Kerry team with a brilliant performance.

That wasn't a lucky win, if you run that 100 times Tyrone win most for sure.
              ​​​​
              Dont agree . Missed chances handed it to them. The peno was a brain fart of the highest order .

Someone explain the decision to go for the point in the 96th minute

Comment

Channel 4 are broadcasting the wimmins us open final , because that Canadian/British bird is in it.
                “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

Comment

Tyrone Supremacy
                  Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Dont agree . Missed chances handed it to them. The peno was a brain fart of the highest order .

Someone explain the decision to go for the point in the 96th minute
                    Mayo always miss loads of chances, that's what having bad forwards leads to. Tyrone missed plenty themselves, if they had been level par for their chances straight after half time the Mayo penalty would have been nothing more than a chance to get back in touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Mayo always miss loads of chances, that's what having bad forwards leads to. Tyrone missed plenty themselves, if they had been level par for their chances straight after half time the Mayo penalty would have been nothing more than a chance to get back in touch.
                      Exactly Tyrone were no great shakes in attack either. Both were average. Cant see Kerry doing too much either. Dubs take it back easily next year imo :-)

Comment

Exactly Tyrone were no great shakes in attack either. Both were average. Cant see Kerry doing too much either. Dubs take it back easily next year imo :-)
                        Yerra I don't think ye have any idea what a phenomenon Jim Gavin was yet. Dublin will be there or there abouts for all eternity from now on but will only be a normal good to great team as opposed to the irresistible force they were for the five in a row.

​​If we had half decent management we'd probably win six out of the next ten and only be reasonably content about it.

Comment

Although if Mannion and McCaffrey started playing again that would be a big boost to Dublin obv. Their backs are in rag order though.

Comment

Keepers who kick points are a bonus but Hennelly had a mare. Decision to take O Hora was very strange .

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                              Keepers who kick points are a bonus but Hennelly had a mare. Decision to take O Hora was very strange .
                              My impression was that he was getting rinsed?

Comment

The curse strikes again!
                                I'd guesstimate one team in 32 would have to lose for a few thousand years* in a row in order for them to be deemed cursed, or for it to be deemed statistically impossible for them to win. But that's the type of thing you say and you get asked to leave parties.

* well, a huge number of years anyway
                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I'd guesstimate one team in 32 would have to lose for a few thousand years* in a row in order for them to be deemed cursed, or for it to be deemed statistically impossible for them to win. But that's the type of thing you say and you get asked to leave parties.

Don't ever go to Mayo.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                    Channel 4 are broadcasting the wimmins us open final , because that Canadian/British bird is in it.
                                    Pretty impressive stuff so far.

Comment

How about 11 losing finals?
                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Pretty impressive stuff so far.
                                        Bloody immigrants taking stuff from little englanders again
                                        “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Bloody immigrants taking stuff from little englanders again
                                          She's as English as Terry Wogan. Or the Saxe-Coburg Gothas.

Comment

How about 11 losing finals?
                                            About 300 of them maybe and we're good to start worrying.

Comment

Some game between these two kids. You can really see how young they are in some of the shots.

Comment

Wow that was a dramatic for a 6-4 6-3
                                                She's a class act
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  Wow that was a dramatic for a 6-4 6-3
                                                  She's a class act
                                                  They both are imo. Was unfortunate with the cut, really seemed to knock Fernandez off her game when she had the momentum.

Comment

They both are imo. Was unfortunate with the cut, really seemed to knock Fernandez off her game when she had the momentum.
                                                    Yeah, wasn't watching the market but I thought she could still win the 2nd set from 5-4 but would have made her a big dog if it went to a 3rd set

Comment

Luckily I haven't really worn shirts much for the last 18 months but would be interested in the new Tailors Mark (which was great as you say), if it's out there. Any ideas?
                                                      I only really started looking myself for similar reasons. It's a bit irritating as I think I'd really settled on what I want from them.

I meant to ask you (or any other bike commuters) how do you manage shirts going into work?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I only really started looking myself for similar reasons. It's a bit irritating as I think I'd really settled on what I want from them.

I meant to ask you (or any other bike commuters) how do you manage shirts going into work?
                                                        I keep a set of clothes at work and use them on days that I cycle I'd rarely cycle more than a couple of days in a row though.

Comment

I can't stop laughing at this
                                                          Attached Files
                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I have a shower in work. Then change into work clothes.

Comment

Holy fuck F1

Last edited by Micknail; 12-09-21, 22:04.
                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Not sure if Medvedev is playing really well or Djokovic is a bit flustered in the tennis here. Although if anyone can win from this position...

Comment

About 300 of them maybe and we're good to start worrying.
                                                                  Are you saying 300 because a curse is beyond ludicrous. Or you genuinely that we need that name tests for statistical significance?

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                    Holy fuck F1

3 place grid penalty for Max in next race seems lenient to me.
                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Are you saying 300 because a curse is beyond ludicrous. Or you genuinely that we need that name tests for statistical significance?
                                                                      That many. It's a lot of coin flips you need to lose before you can definitively say the coin is against you. And Mayo are most often the worst team in every final due to the far easier Connaught route to the final, so aren't there with a straight 50:50 coin flip.

Can't link the doc directly, but the point is made well in a googleable document called: Why Throwing 92 Heads in a Row is not Surprising

Comment

Connacht, not Connaught, please Sorry, that old spelling (think it is the anglicised version) drives me crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

3 place grid penalty for Max in next race seems lenient to me.
                                                                          Outcome of crash is not to influence the punishment.
                                                                          Eg. A 51G impact at Silverstone and a five place grid penalty

I think Hamilton knew well what he was doing squeezing in there, but also once Max hits the sausage kerb he was never making the turn.

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                            Connacht, not Connaught, please Sorry, that old spelling (think it is the anglicised version) drives me crazy.
                                                                            Oh sorry!

Comment

The Brighton Marathon yesterday became an Ultra as 500 yards miscalculated. Damn right to claim it

Connacht is Connacht. No? Why did the brits make it more complicated? Havent they done enough damage.

Comment

The Brighton Marathon yesterday became an Ultra as 500 yards miscalculated. Damn right to claim it

Connacht is Connacht. No? Why did the brits make it more complicated? Havent they done enough damage.
                                                                                I was in the Connaught Hotel once (posh).
                                                                                In fairness, Irish is hard enough to the non-natives.

Try getting a foreigner to pronounce Dun Laoghaire for entertainment value.

Comment

Buxted 7.45 kempton

Comment

That many. It's a lot of coin flips you need to lose before you can definitively say the coin is against you.
                                                                                    There’s a difference between definite and probably though. Mathematically, a million to one shot is possible. But so is a rigged coin.

And Mayo are most often the worst team in every final due to the far easier Connaught route to the final, so aren't there with a straight 50:50 coin flip.
                                                                                    Agree there’s an easier Connacht route to provincial champions. But that only gets you to last 8. You expect the quarters and semis to neutralise reasonably well.

I’ll check out that article though.
                                                                                    30 in a row is in the order of billion to 1 shot.
                                                                                    92 must be over a few billion, billion, billion.

300 coin flips? That would surely be approaching a magnitude of a googol.

Comment

Thank God I live in in a more clear cut province like Leicester .

Comment

Thank God I live in in a more clear cut province like Leicester .
                                                                                        could be worse, you could be in Lunster

Comment

Hey. What do I do about the possibility of punctures. What do ye wander around with in the back of a car - a repair kit, a spare mini-tire, a spare full tire, a general handykit of carjacks etc? In general, what should I do to prepare for a burst tire? There seems to be loads of competing options.

Comment

Hey. What do I do about the possibility of punctures. What do ye wander around with in the back of a car - a repair kit, a spare mini-tire, a spare full tire, a general handykit of carjacks etc? In general, what should I do to prepare for a burst tire? There seems to be loads of competing options.
                                                                                            start with what's in the boot of your car already. Many insurance policies have roadside assistance as standard.

Comment

The current ECJ case is going to be interesting. Full on twitter meltdown incoming me thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post

start with what's in the boot of your car already. Many insurance policies have roadside assistance as standard.
                                                                                                Would you mind ELI5ing that. There is roadside assistance - would you normally ring them if its something as simple as a burst tire, or they'd expect it to be something more serious for call out? Would they normally be quick as a general rule? I was mentally thinking that breakdown assistance is for events where there's no prospect of you doing something about the event.

Comment

well i guess - first things first - what is in the boot of your car in terms of enabling the driver to remediate a roadside breakdown?

Roadside assistance callout is just that - if you can't solve it and need assistance, etc.. If it is part of your insurance read the highlights of it to see how it can be used. I have no idea what's in the boot of my car to help me, it's such a rare occurrence that I figure ill deal with it when it happens.

Comment

I had my first flat car tyre after 33 years of driving earlier in the summer (that's an anti-curse, right?).

Mrs HiFi had to commandeer the manual to methodically read the instructions for the tools etc... I had pretty much given up ('the tools aren't right", "there's tools missing' "its not working" "you need to call somebody"etc...) and we did indeed call the insurance co. who were gonna take 90 mins to arrive.

So we tried again with a bit more focus this time and In the end it took about 20 mins to change

Comment

ah. So its very irregular that a car would break down. I might be overly remembering how often my dad's banjaxed cars broke down and forgetting that modern cars are a lot better.

Comment

ah. So its very irregular that a car would break down. I might be overly remembering how often my dad's banjaxed cars broke down and forgetting that modern cars are a lot better.
                                                                                                        Sure yours is just a giant battery on wheels, what could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Only puncture was 20y ago. Hottest day of the year at the Toll Bridge on the M50 in a suit, great fun.

*Dont look on this as an invitation please BBV Gods*

Comment

Only ever needed roadside assistance once when the gearbox broke down mid drive. Usually the annual car service would be good enough to ensure you wouldnt break down as they would typically spot potential issues with parts in advance of them breaking down. Usually only have problems with tyres in the older cars due to it being unbalanced but in the newer models the annual service would check the wear and advise if need to be changed etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                              Only puncture was 20y ago. Hottest day of the year at the Toll Bridge on the M50 in a suit, great fun.

Got one a few months back (first one I can remember). Roadside assist from the insurance to put on a temporary tyre and off we went to the local tyre merchant.

(no spare in the car, by design apparently)

Comment

Would you mind ELI5ing that. There is roadside assistance - would you normally ring them if its something as simple as a burst tire, or they'd expect it to be something more serious for call out? Would they normally be quick as a general rule? I was mentally thinking that breakdown assistance is for events where there's no prospect of you doing something about the event.
                                                                                                                I've got them them out for a flat battery.. more than once!
                                                                                                                Within an hour mostly.

If they cant fix the problem they tow the car to your nominated mechanic.

Familiarise yourself with changing a tyre. The hardest part is loosening the nuts (WD 40 handy here, in fact its great for everything squeaky doors etc)
                                                                                                                Mind you with these fancy new cars you might have run flats.

Comment

I'm not sure if it's ever been expressed anywhere in the million-plus posts on here, but ye guys are an absolute fountain of knowledge.

Comment

Newer cars are a pain in the hole . A lot dont have Spares and if you have alloy wheels , good luck yanking the tyre off. Then if you blow a light bulb you need tiny Trump hands to get at the damn thing. Was easier when the model T came out .

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post
                                                                                                                      The current ECJ case is going to be interesting. Full on twitter meltdown incoming me thinks.
                                                                                                                      In simple terms, is it not just a case of his current conviction being quashed and he gets convicted again at a retrial without the phone data?

I've only loosely followed it and that could be way off without looking into it further. Twitter doesnt need an excuse for a meltdown tbf.

Comment

Judd Trump currently on the table playing the US Open in Pool. Up 2-0 but could be interesting. Doesn't look especially comfortable.

Comment

You'd have to be a completely useless gobshite to do it but it appears to have become almost standard for people to call someone out to change a puncture for them.

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Do you only drive a small few miles or have you been abnormally lucky ​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X