This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    I don't know if the history of China is so ridiculously fascinating or the professor is so brilliant, but it's some course this China course. Haven't learned history since before the Junior Cert and it sure wasn't like this back then. Going to maybe follow another course after this, just to check if it's a general history-is-amazing thing.
    100% hacked.

Possibly by me.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

90s nymphomaniac was deffo not a vegan. Or any other 5 letter V word

Durty thought Do vegans swallow ? (Ok it's too early for that convo) still though a valid question.
      Nurse?
      “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.”

Comment

In a podcast yesterday Ed Gamble, now a vegan, was discussing how he thought about past meat he'd eaten. He said he thinks about it like a reformed hooligan - reliving past meat crimes and revelling in their debauchery, but never wanting to return to those days. Thought it was an interesting idea. The person he was interviewing about her favourite meals was a bit perplexed as to why she, also a vegan, when she thought about her favourite ever dishes also found herself drawn to some past meat dishes she had eaten.
        At first you tend to remember the great meals you've had in your life, as time goes on they fade and new memories appear. When I was watching that chicken eating man you put up I saw him take a bone out of a chicken wing and thinking how weird it was to see a bone of a living creature in somebodies meal, didn't register as food any more. I'd never have thought like that initially, everything would still have been "normal" but it's been 17 years and now it's strange to me.

This is a funny, Simon Amstel: Carnage:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...mstell-carnage

It's 2067, the UK is vegan, but older generations are suffering the guilt of their carnivorous past. Simon Amstell asks us to forgive them for the horrors of what they swallowed.
        There are AA style support groups for people that are reliving eating cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Jimmy Jimmy!!!

Now for Jimmy vs Kohli v 35.0
          Anderson wins.

@sp, we should start backing India now

Comment

@Tar actually he was a recent vegan at the time of this podcast so that might be it. That he hasn't had time to build new food memories.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Nurse?
              Can hardly remember. I remember going out on a Friday afternoon and reluctantly arriving home on Sat night smitten . No idea what Northside Georgian flat I left behind me . No mobiles back then so spent many times in coppers looking out for her if only I had a glass slipper to go on. All Exploits since then never matched up. She must have been a dancer with those moves... Some fucker has her albeit probably scrap value now

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

At first you tend to remember the great meals you've had in your life, as time goes on they fade and new memories appear. When I was watching that chicken eating man you put up I saw him take a bone out of a chicken wing and thinking how weird it was to see a bone of a living creature in somebodies meal, didn't register as food any more. I'd never have thought like that initially, everything would still have been "normal" but it's been 17 years and now it's strange to me.

This is a funny, Simon Amstel: Carnage:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...mstell-carnage

I was in the mudders recently for a birthday tea ( how quaint ).
                I turned down a few sambos due to my new eating departure
                The looks I got , you would swear i was claiming to be Francis of Assisi reborn.

I believe my new title is semi veg . Which is not accurate as I now rarely eat meat so semi is not right. . I'm thinking we need a new name I think transitionary veggie is accurate .

I also will eat meat if there are no other sambos available at a function or if I'm so demented with the hunger I'll eat what's in front of me. I'm open to coaching on this .

Comment

Sorry, but this lad can go fuck himself, the world is fucked if this sort of shit isn't immediately laughed at..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...s-58327844.amp
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                    Sorry, but this lad can go fuck himself, the world is fucked if this sort of shit isn't immediately laughed at..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...s-58327844.amp
                    It's been laughed at the world over this morning from what I read. America is full of these greedy little shits . It's the payment we have to pay for the music.

Comment

Do what's best for you Solks, sounds like you're trying, well done! No harm doing what you are able and expanding that if you feel able to later on.

Was just doing the old sign up to new deals for cheaper prices on internet and electricity, they are rather silly. Take the electricity for instance. I ring my provider up and say yo I'm out of contract, can I have the new customer deal on your site, they can't offer it to me. They offer some crap deal, I list off about other deals available and say that the best two deals are 1) Your New Customer deal. 2) Switching to Electric Ireland. I then just switch as they'd rather lose €1500 a year from me than let people get a deal that is 2 cent lower on rates.

Broadband guy was much better, released I didn't give a fuck about what he was talking about and gave me the deal I asked for so I stayed with them.

Comment

Do what's best for you Solks, sounds like you're trying, well done! No harm doing what you are able and expanding that if you feel able to later on.

Was just doing the old sign up to new deals for cheaper prices on internet and electricity, they are rather silly. Take the electricity for instance. I ring my provider up and say yo I'm out of contract, can I have the new customer deal on your site, they can't offer it to me. They offer some crap deal, I list off about other deals available and say that the best two deals are 1) Your New Customer deal. 2) Switching to Electric Ireland. I then just switch as they'd rather lose €1500 a year from me than let people get a deal that is 2 cent lower on rates.

Broadband guy was much better, released I didn't give a fuck about what he was talking about and gave me the deal I asked for so I stayed with them.
                        Switching Day. Should be in your diary every year.

Comment

I don't know if the history of China is so ridiculously fascinating or the professor is so brilliant, but it's some course this China course. Haven't learned history since before the Junior Cert and it sure wasn't like this back then. Going to maybe follow another course after this, just to check if it's a general history-is-amazing thing.
                          History is amazing If you like storytelling (like every other human), then the most fantastic things you can imagine, the greatest heroes, the vilest villains, they are all there and they were REAL people!

Comment

Switching Day. Should be in your diary every year.
                            Actually kinda wanted to switch since they didn't send out a reminder about contract end this year, dastardly. I'd just find out when my bill doubled. I know they count on inertia but they should still cave to the people who will switch, it's best for all involved.

Comment

@Tar actually he was a recent vegan at the time of this podcast so that might be it. That he hasn't had time to build new food memories.
                              When I was in NYC it was my brother's girlfriend's birthday so I brought them and my mother to Avante Garden, a vegan restaurant https://instagram.com/avantgardennyc...dium=copy_link
                              The food was amazing but so too was the occasion, the atmosphere, the furnishings, the evening, that we ordered everything on the menu, that you could see the head chef drinking a glass of wine while cooking and dancing, and that they got it for free.

These 3 non vegans now talk about the place and the food like it is the second coming of Jesus, best food they've had and so on. There's a lot that goes into those memories apart from the actual food.
                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 25-08-21, 13:31.

Comment

Oh absolutely. I think thats the glory of their podcast format (name your best starter, main course, desert) as it becomes a cool storytelling device as your favourite meal is always about the context.

Comment

Oh absolutely. I think thats the glory of their podcast format (name your best starter, main course, desert) as it becomes a cool storytelling device as your favourite meal is always about the context.
                                  This is quite the 360 from your previous attitude of blithely dismissing historical context from any debate (mainly because you usually have no idea of what it is). What will this new, improved HH do next?

Comment

Handling inconvenient facts that don't agree with your viewpoint is Research101.

"A range of studies that haven't had the same impact as X, Y, Z, have alternatively proposed..."

Footnote. Adjust font size smaller on footnote.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

History is amazing If you like storytelling (like every other human), then the most fantastic things you can imagine, the greatest heroes, the vilest villains, they are all there and they were REAL people!
                                      Registered for 2nd year of college today and chose the Irish Diaspora and Death and Disease as my 2 optional modules. I think both will be fascinating with some very interesting stories coming from the Irish one.

Comment

The situation:

Through a variety of past successful decisions and inheritances, they have a nice house in a nice area, worth a fair whack, and have a mortgage on it of €310,000. Paying €1,700 a month. They also have a recently acquired bundle of cash (inheritance) of €230,000 which is currently invested in prize bonds.

The guy was diagnosed by a decent financial advisor in the past as 'extremely risk averse' and feels very comfortable with that label. So bearing that in mind, and their types of jobs: what do they do?
                                        To give advice in any sort of real-terms you prob need to know what the mortgage rate is and what the bond rate is.
                                        But it’s pretty much a given that mortgage % > bonds %. So they’re essentially losing money overall.

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                        I've never heard of anyone owning prize bonds before. The rate isn't actually that bad -

"The National Treasury Management Agency (NTMA) sets the variable percentage rate used to calculate the prize fund. Effective from February 2021 this variable percentage rate is set at 0.35% of the total value of Prize Bonds outstanding."

I assume you can't get better in any long term savings a/cs?
                                        You can get regular interest paying bonds from Prize Bond/State Savings crowd. Top one is just under 1% aer.
                                        Given the “risk adverse” description above, I thought that maybe that’s what they had invested in.

Comment

This is quite the 360 from your previous attitude of blithely dismissing historical context from any debate (mainly because you usually have no idea of what it is). What will this new, improved HH do next?
                                          Not sure him doing a 360 is gonna get him or us anywhere

Comment

India have managed to lose their last 4 wickets for 0 runs. Good job I got distracted from backing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                              I'm thinking we need a new name I think transitionary veggie is accurate .
                                              Food fluid. I know it can be a confusing time for transitionary veggies. One day you find yourself wearing €300 bamboo runners whilst viciously swatting at bluebottles and you just break down crying and have to admit you have a problem. Alcohol could be a good solution for this. Except that wine and beer are often not even vegetarian never mind vegan. So then you turn to heroin, which is plant based and vegan.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Food fluid. I know it can be a confusing time for transitionary veggies. One day you find yourself wearing €300 bamboo runners whilst viciously swatting at bluebottles and you just break down crying and have to admit you have a problem. Alcohol could be a good solution for this. Except that wine and beer are often not even vegetarian never mind vegan. So then you turn to heroin, which is plant based and vegan.
                                                Team Hutch or Team Kinahen ?

Comment

Alcohol could be a good solution for this. Except that wine and beer are often not even vegetarian never mind vegan. So then you turn to heroin, which is plant based and vegan.
                                                  I was in my local wanky wine shop last night and they had a reasonably large shelf marked as vegan wine.

Where will it end? Vegan cars? Vegan sex? Vegan pubs?

Comment

I'm looking for a bank account to just leave a lump sum in with no fees, what do people use?

I was in my local wanky wine shop last night and they had a reasonably large shelf marked as vegan wine.

Where will it end? Vegan cars? Vegan sex? Vegan pubs?
                                                    There's a vegan strip club in the US, finally!

Comment

When I was in NYC it was my brother's girlfriend's birthday so I brought them and my mother to Avante Garden, a vegan restaurant https://instagram.com/avantgardennyc...dium=copy_link
                                                      The food was amazing but so too was the occasion, the atmosphere, the furnishings, the evening, that we ordered everything on the menu, that you could see the head chef drinking a glass of wine while cooking and dancing, and that they got it for free.

These 3 non vegans now talk about the place and the food like it is the second coming of Jesus, best food they've had and so on. There's a lot that goes into those memories apart from the actual food.
                                                      has this
                                                      and that they got it for free.
                                                      directly influenced this
                                                      best food they've had and so on.
                                                      ?

I hold special reverence now to occasions and things where someone else has paid for it, which I guess is a mark of a true Dad.
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Rail thin waifs imperceptibly shivering in time to sitar R'n'B.

Like the last few wasps of autumn on a windowsill
                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The best meal I ever had I puked up just after we left the restaurant.
                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Although I know I shouldn't ask, I will. What makes it specifically vegan?

Comment

Quick Google later...
                                                              Inside the Insane Feud Between a Vegan Strip Club and the Steak House Next Door

Comment

'Puts the meat on the pole, not the plate' LOL

Comment

I'm looking for a bank account to just leave a lump sum in with no fees, what do people use?
                                                                  This is clearly a trick question, designed to flush out those with liquidity to shake down.

Comment

Onlyfans doing a u turn. Quelle surprise.

Comment

Good program on after the news for Solks later

Comment

In Nealons for a pint, first time since March 13th 2020. It really is a top class boozer. Nice to make use of the aul covid cert too

Comment

Onlyfans doing a u turn. Quelle surprise.
                                                                          sounds like a genius marketing campaign rather than a u turn

Comment

That old Rory Stewart two-parter on Afghanistan is wonderful (well, I've only watched the first part so far). It was made in 2012 and in giving an analogy for an historical incident he says "That would be like Britain leaving Afghanistan after 10 years and handing control back to the Taliban!"

I'm going to listen to his book on his time as a deputy governor of an Iraqi province. I just really like the guy.

Comment

That old Rory Stewart two-parter on Afghanistan is wonderful (well, I've only watched the first part so far). It was made in 2012 and in giving an analogy for an historical incident he says "That would be like Britain leaving Afghanistan after 10 years and handing control back to the Taliban!"

I'm going to listen to his book on his time as a deputy governor of an Iraqi province. I just really like the guy.

What probability would you ascribe to him as being MI6? I'd have it 80%+.

Comment

What probability would you ascribe to him as being MI6? I'd have it 80%+.
                                                                                100%

Comment

100%
                                                                                  Yeah. Although I think he's an admirable person, it must certainly inform your view of his 'travels'.

I'd say the stuff he left out of his books would make some great reading.

Comment

The missus friend found the word

Flexitarian

Comment

Still enjoy Bald and Bankrupt's videos. Pity he took down his covid one

Comment

He means he sees the same people outside all the time, so if there was a simulation we live in the memory is being used to do an update.

Actually yeaterday met the first new people properly since covid started.
                                                                                        It's like the same number of roles are covered by a smaller cast. So you routinely see the same people doing a wide range of activities, often repetitively, in an improbable timeframe. Obv normal and just more an indication of fewer people about in general.

I remain unconvinced about machine elves and happy to be proved wrong.
                                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 25-08-21, 21:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                          Good program on after the news for Solks later
                                                                                          In 6 mins .

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                            In Nealons for a pint, first time since March 13th 2020. It really is a top class boozer. Nice to make use of the aul covid cert too
                                                                                            I was at my first outdoor live gig in dog knows how long. Didn't even realise how much I missed things like being directed around by a man in a high viz. Or just generally being part of a crowd. There's something too about how it's far more noticeable that you're having pints when you're a long walk in public back to your table. Verus just walking to the fridge at home.

Just Mustard were playing. One of the many groups to come out of dundalk in the last few years. They're a funny group to watch in that they're effortlessly comfortable in their music but still come across as incredibly nervous in every other aspect of existing.

Comment

Today I killed a few hundred caterpillars that were starting to feed on my cabbages, kale and sprouts. Does that mean they are no longer vegan or do unborn butterflies not count?
                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The Philo programme is quite good but really did they have to drag out that prick Clayton, Is there a horribler cunt stalking the land than him?

'The big thing that hangs between your legs' GTFO you slimey fucktard.
                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Today I killed a few hundred caterpillars that were starting to feed on my cabbages, kale and sprouts. Does that mean they are no longer vegan or do unborn butterflies not count?
                                                                                                  It's not the vegetables fault that you're happy to murder the larvae.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                    The Philo programme is quite good but really did they have to drag out that prick Clayton, Is there a horribler cunt stalking the land than him?

'The big thing that hangs between your legs' GTFO you slimey fucktard.
                                                                                                    Adam?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                      I remain unconvinced about machine elves and happy to be proved wrong.
                                                                                                      I'd like to think they exist on some plane of consciousness.

Comment

Adam?
                                                                                                        He was a cunt too, don't get Strewel started on him.
                                                                                                        "Did I ever tell yis the time I was the first person in the whole world?"

Comment

He was a cunt too, don't get Strewel started on him.
                                                                                                          "Did I ever tell yis the time I was the first person in the whole world?"
                                                                                                          The first vegan.

Although eating apples produced some unexpected results.

Comment

Far too excited to discover there's a new FitBit badge for going over 25,000 steps.

I was thinking on the evenings walk in between hearing Richard Osman's ideal meal about a recent 'shake things up' personal philosophy. Well mini philosophy or even smaller than that.

I was cycling back from Dundrum a month ago and lifted by hands from the handlebar for a moment and felt a fission of excitement. And this stuck with me a bit: how childishly excited I was about something that was a standard part of childhood. Maybe I've become too cloistered too grown up too risk averse.

​​​​​​And I was thinking about it as the holidays were approaching and past holidays and wondering - maybe I've become the family member who says no. Who sits on the deckchair rather than slip down the pool slide. Not that those things are important, but it's more what that means for everything else in life.

Anyway, I don't want to end this as a redemption story, but I resolved for this holiday to say yes to everything. To be the grump for nothing. One notable event was being at the top of an 18 metre platform and jumping off attached to a rope. Something I would have previously looked at and sniggered at the idea of someone doing. And on the ground I was there like a kid thinking fuck yeah.

Maybe it's about how we can get into a rut or patterns that aren't what we want. I've only scratched the surface of the idea but going to try to pay more attention to it.

Comment

Far too excited to discover there's a new FitBit badge for going over 25,000 steps.

I was thinking on the evenings walk in between hearing Richard Osman's ideal meal about a recent 'shake things up' personal philosophy. Well mini philosophy or even smaller than that.

I was cycling back from Dundrum a month ago and lifted by hands from the handlebar for a moment and felt a fission of excitement. And this stuck with me a bit: how childishly excited I was about something that was a standard part of childhood. Maybe I've become too cloistered too grown up too risk averse.

​​​​​​And I was thinking about it as the holidays were approaching and past holidays and wondering - maybe I've become the family member who says no. Who sits on the deckchair rather than slip down the pool slide. Not that those things are important, but it's more what that means for everything else in life.

Anyway, I don't want to end this as a redemption story, but I resolved for this holiday to say yes to everything. To be the grump for nothing. One notable event was being at the top of an 18 metre platform and jumping off attached to a rope. Something I would have previously looked at and sniggered at the idea of someone doing. And on the ground I was there like a kid thinking fuck yeah.

Maybe it's about how we can get into a rut or patterns that aren't what we want. I've only scratched the surface of the idea but going to try to pay more attention to it.
                                                                                                              I like where this could go.

The BBV throws out things at you and you have to say Yes to doing them.

We could get a TV series out it.

Comment

PM with bank details sent. Ta very much!!
                                                                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

great post - i can relate - perhaps not such a lucid plan as above but have been having the same motivations since early summer when the world started opening....i think my kids have noticed

Comment

iPO in October & European Open in February being tentatively announced as happening.

Passes acquired from she who must be obeyed.
                                                                                                                    Excited.

Comment

Dont be jolting that dodgy ticker too much now. I say instead of steps do 1200 hops . Alternate feet . Enjoy your new healthy bones

Comment

If the US FDA is now moving from 'emergency use' to 'full authorisation' for Pfizer (with presumably the same to follow for the other vaccines), that provides legal cover for employers to mandate that their employees must be vaccinated. Indeed some companies and indeed state organisations e.g. the US armed forces, are now starting to do this.

Do we think we'll see the same here? Completely different employer-employee balance of power obv.

Comment

What reasonably priced decent restaurant would I still get a booking for this weekend?
                                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X