Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how it's always An Post that manages to fuck up amazon deliveries and not the ad hoc delivery companies that have just existed for a few weeks. Think I'd nearly pay a small premium for a non-AnPost delivery option at this stage.
    ​​​​​​
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Yep. Only Toyota went hydrogen in the end? We're back in the glorious Japan vs world days of VHS vs BetaMax
      A quick Google suggests they launched the Mirae to great fanfare in 2014.

By 2020, they had sold....fuck all.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

A quick Google suggests they launched the Mirae to great fanfare in 2014.

By 2020, they had sold....fuck all.
        This recent article on Toyota and hydrogen in New York Times is fascinating. Possibly what CC is referring to as it was a big article when it came out.

Tl;Dr none of the car companies have even the slightest doubt that everything will be electric and soon, they're just getting there at different paces.

The auto giant bet on hydrogen power, but as the world moves toward electric the company is fighting climate regulations in an apparent effort to buy time.

Comment

looking through the slow uptake of the FPL this year really hammers home how many posters we've misplaced along the way

kevirl, bohsman, mdoug, roadsweeper, ian_mac, davey devil, rigger, juanpablo, el rifle, eagle eye, silver tiger, flushdraw...sure there's a bigger list but that's just the obvious fpler's off the top of my head

all usual suspects missing in action and can't remember the last time I saw any of them post at all.

Anyway, only 1 week left until FPL starts for any interested parties.
          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

This recent article on Toyota and hydrogen in New York Times is fascinating. Possibly what CC is referring to as it was a big article when it came out.

Tl;Dr none of the car companies have even the slightest doubt that everything will be electric and soon, they're just getting there at different paces.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/25/c...-hydrogen.html
            That article seems to be calling out Toyota as a bad actor who are trying to stall the march to E-Cars

e.g.:
            Toyota also sided with the Trump administration in a battle with California over the Clean Air Act and sued Mexico over fuel efficiency rules.
            Toyota was the largest corporate donor by far this year to Republicans in Congress who disputed the 2020 presidential election result.

Comment

It's amazing the extent to which the gig is up with petrol cars. I think we'll be looking in astonishment at people buying petrol / diesel by 2025 at the absolute latest. Nothing non electric being sold from 2030. Hence why US car producers caved so easily here.

Declaring the U.S. must “move fast” to win the world's carmaking future, President Joe Biden has announced a commitment from the auto industry to produce electric vehicles for as much as half of U.S. sales by the end of the decade.

What's going to happen to all those oil companies? Worthless?
              Get out of jail free card.

"The deal with automakers defines electric vehicles as plug-in hybrids, fully electric vehicles and those powered by hydrogen fuel cells."

...With a range of 10 urban KM's, a few extra batteries to run small electric motors. They really need to state they have to have a minimum range.
              This too shall pass.

Comment

I don't know how it's always An Post that manages to fuck up amazon deliveries and not the ad hoc delivery companies that have just existed for a few weeks. Think I'd nearly pay a small premium for a non-AnPost delivery option at this stage.
                ​​​​​​
                Our postman who is spot on must be on holidays, I have amazon deliveries marked as received at 10pm on 2 days this week and several others still MIA.
                This too shall pass.

Comment

Pentathlon continuing to be one of the highest variance sports.

​​​​​​

Comment

That article seems to be calling out Toyota as a bad actor who are trying to stall the march to E-Cars

e.g.:

Absolutely. Although I read that as: if the evil villain bad guys are Toyota because they are only 70% of the way to electric, then the game is well and truly up.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                      Pentathlon continuing to be one of the highest variance sports.

​​​​​​
                      The horses have had enough
                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

No it's more just a belief that batteries are pretty filthy in their own way, and the requirement for rare metals will be a problem in the not very long term. Betamax was a far super product to VHS too.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Have they stopped using 'fear gorm' for black man?
                          Fear dubh was taken. But always a bit baffled why gorm/blue was up next instead of the much more obvious donn/brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                            Fear dubh was taken. But always a bit baffled why gorm/blue was up next instead of the much more obvious donn/brown.
                            I used to think is was because black people had a blue tint in old technicolour movies, though I guess it predates movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              the way it was explained to me was that the Irish word gorm should not be thought of as equalling the English word blue but rather as 'reflecting a dark shine, like indigo'

That was my Irish teacher's take on it anyway.

Comment

Ah, it seems ‘Duine de dhath’ is the preferred nomenclature https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/d...icon-1.4619400

Comment

​​​​​​
                                  I'm still waiting nearly 4 weeks for that pallet that they sent to Switzerland in error. Was guaranteed* it would be here Monday coming but now its lost again last spotted somewhere in Holland. Like their only job is to move pallets from A to B.

*not a guarantee it seems

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                    This argument seems to always play out along the “born like this” vs “opted to change” lines, where generally people are more sympathetic to the former over the latter. The arguments you make, as usual mellor, are very logical that it’s hard to find fault in it.
                                    I can definitely see how a “born like that” situation elicits sympathy. I do have sympathy for Semenya. She created no aspect of the situation, was likely oblivious to the existence of the issue for a long time. Was just doing what she was good at.
                                    I just don’t let sympathy excuse an inherent unfairness, that unfortunately is contrary to the way sports are segregated.

Comment

Hitch I can't stop thinking about you bringing six books away with you on holiday.

Just can't get my head around it.

Are you just indecisive, want a few options?

You're not gonna read six books surely?
                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Cracking run from Laura Muir, she's some powerhouse.

Comment

the way it was explained to me was that the Irish word gorm should not be thought of as equalling the English word blue but rather as 'reflecting a dark shine, like indigo'

That was my Irish teacher's take on it anyway.
                                          It’s not exactly equal, covers a different range of the spectrum or so. I have heard blighted potatoes and crows being gorm. But the blue of the sky was also the typical “gorm” in school.

It seems fear donn actually refers to brown haired man. More parallel to brunette. So would never makes sense for skin colour. Similarly the way fear rua means red haired not a red faced ail-fella down the pub.

Comment

George Hamilton owes us nothing and should be given the keys to Ireland for services given.
                                            However I've noticed he looks lost calling races at the Olympics. I doubt he has seen any track and field since the last Olympics though which wouldn't help. Where he comes good is at the crescendo or if something dramatic happens but calling the races in running he seems lost.

Comment

Some year for the Italians

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

I'm still waiting nearly 4 weeks for that pallet that they sent to Switzerland in error. Was guaranteed* it would be here Monday coming but now its lost again last spotted somewhere in Holland. Like their only job is to move pallets from A to B.

think you BBV'd me

I live at XXX Rise. New Virgin equipment sent to XXX Drive.

Literally round the corner so I wandered down to see did they have it for me.
                                                "oh sorry, knew it wasn't for us so we sent it back"

No problemo, I'll just call the courier (DPD) and get them to send to the right address.

Ring up, explain.
                                                Girl is totally puzzled; "can't you just knock into them and get it?"

"eh, no. As I already explained, they gave it back to your courier."

"ah OK, so. Let me call him."

<five mins later>

"He says he can leave it at <random premises in Clondalkin>, is that OK?"

This went on for some time, got upgraded to an offer of dropping it into the wrong address again but maybe next Tuesday, perhaps "if you can arrange it with the neighbour".

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                  Hitch I can't stop thinking about you bringing six books away with you on holiday.

Just can't get my head around it.

Are you just indecisive, want a few options?

You're not gonna read six books surely?
                                                  Normally read two books a week. Surely I'll up my game on holidays? If not then, then when? An hour or two a day while the kids are in the pool. No WiFi probably in the campsite - that's an extra hour or two.

Comment

Any restaurant recommendations in or around Wexford town?

Comment

It's about 120 pages a day, I reflect, as the ferry boarding wait continues. The likes of Raoul and WesternSean the IPB powerhouse readers would get through that just in the shower every day.

Comment

SPOILER

think you BBV'd me

I live at XXX Rise. New Virgin equipment sent to XXX Drive.

Literally round the corner so I wandered down to see did they have it for me.
                                                        "oh sorry, knew it wasn't for us so we sent it back"

No problemo, I'll just call the courier (DPD) and get them to send to the right address.

Ring up, explain.
                                                        Girl is totally puzzled; "can't you just knock into them and get it?"

"eh, no. As I already explained, they gave it back to your courier."

"ah OK, so. Let me call him."

<five mins later>

"He says he can leave it at <random premises in Clondalkin>, is that OK?"

This went on for some time, got upgraded to an offer of dropping it into the wrong address again but maybe next Tuesday, perhaps "if you can arrange it with the neighbour".

DPD have lost the plot recently. Used be great and now they are pretty poor.
                                                        Had a similar thing go wrong when I was on route to Killarney recently and learned an Ikea order that wasn't due for a further week was arriving today...facccckk. Had the option to re-route the parcel by weblink which I took up so had it re-routed to a Mace in Raheny close to a brother. Later that morning as I was eating lunch a lovely lunch in Adare I got the DPD text message that the package was dropped in Mace so I dispatched the brother who soon replied "Just went to Mace and they knew nothing of such a package of course they didnt"(Everything goes wrong for this lad so he takes a perma cynical line.
                                                        Its soon solved when I checked the house cam and the driver I presume left it around the back as seen him approach and not re-appear again for a minute or two empty handed. Hadn't the heart to dispatch the brother around again in case a neighbour took it in and it wasn't around the back.

Comment

It's about 120 pages a day, I reflect, as the ferry boarding wait continues. The likes of Raoul and WesternSean the IPB powerhouse readers would get through that just in the shower every day.
                                                          yeah, 6 books wouldn't last long on holidays

although I have pretty much switched to kindle 100% now so at least amn't carting around mountains of paper..

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                            Any restaurant recommendations in or around Wexford town?
                                                            The cheeky cod operating out of a container on the quay is top class for fish & chips plus a few other dishes. It's an offshoot of the La Cote restaurant right next to it. Sorry I don't have any other recommendations as everywhere else was shut when I visited a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

The cheeky cod operating out of a container on the quay is top class for fish & chips plus a few other dishes. It's an offshoot of the La Cote restaurant right next to it. Sorry I don't have any other recommendations as everywhere else was shut when I visited a while back.
                                                              Cheers, was looking at La Cote but is booked up when we're there

Comment

yeah, 6 books wouldn't last long on holidays

although I have pretty much switched to kindle 100% now so at least amn't carting around mountains of paper..
                                                                I was 100% kindle for years, but after reading a book called Digital Minimalism earlier in the year, I've started to reintroduce paper books.

Comment

I was 100% kindle for years, but after reading a book called Digital Minimalism earlier in the year, I've started to reintroduce paper books.
                                                                  Why?
                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

when i moved to London, no more room for my books. gave away 1k+. was a sad day, but to be fair i'd been on an ereader for years before then so the sadness was in getting rid of the collection and not so much the format. love my ereader although they only seem to last for a few years so onto my 4th or 5th already (never kindle though ).

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Why?
                                                                      I don't know tbh. I've found it a bit more immersing to be reading a paper book. It might be the novelty factor. It might be just nothing. I maybe hadn't bought a paper book for ten years before this year. In my last uni I spent the full five years having never once visited the library.

Comment

My Gen1 kindle is still doing a powerful job. Usually 40-50 books on there (rarely bother taking them off unless I know I'll never revisit)
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I don't know tbh. I've found it a bit more immersing to be reading a paper book. It might be the novelty factor. It might be just nothing. I maybe hadn't bought a paper book for ten years before this year. In my last uni I spent the full five years having never once visited the library.
                                                                          I think I made that exact argument on here about a decade ago, if not more

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Thiughts on audiobooks from the purists? Got 3 on the go atm

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I think I made that exact argument on here about a decade ago, if not more
                                                                              You did! I remember mocking you at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                George Hamilton owes us nothing and should be given the keys to Ireland for services given.
                                                                                However I've noticed he looks lost calling races at the Olympics. I doubt he has seen any track and field since the last Olympics though which wouldn't help. Where he comes good is at the crescendo or if something dramatic happens but calling the races in running he seems lost.
                                                                                George's eyesight has to be gone, he barely gets any football players names right anymore and that's not difficult. But he can't be as bad as the Canadian commentators, was watching the 4x100m men's earlier and they didn't even mention the Italian running down GB in the final few meters to get the win. Just called the race as if Canada was running. And they even admitted after they didn't even know Italy had won.

Not sure if this will be geo blocked, but this is an awful call or am I being overly critical?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                                Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 06-08-21, 16:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                  Thiughts on audiobooks from the purists? Got 3 on the go atm
                                                                                  I go for a few hour walk every day, listen to books then, it's great. I used to on my commute as well. Not the same experience but a very good one too. In some ways worse, some better.

Comment

Audiobooks not for me.

Too often I find I'm hearing the words but not listening and trying to find the last part of the book you were cognizant for is a disaster.
                                                                                    Same with listening in bed. Fall asleep and you are hooped.

A good old text book lets me skim back and figure out where to start again.

I'm pretty sure some audiobook apps have solved some of these problems but meh, just avoid them altogether with text.
                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

If it makes you feel any better, I've just discovered this afternoon that my office in Chicago has misrouted one of my shipments. It should have been arriving in Dublin this week but instead it is on its way to Bangkok and won't get there until the 1st Sept. We'll then have to go through the painful rigmarole of re-exporting it from Thailand and sending it to Dublin so it should get here around the start of November, provided everything goes smoothly.

It's the second shipment that they have misrouted in about 9 months - Last one, they sent to Korea instead of Dublin - Getting that re-routed was an extremely painful experience.

But, yeah, LOL at four weeks from Switzerland to Dublin

Comment

Books, audiobooks and e-readers all have their place and time. I actually own all the ASoIaF books in all 3 formats.
                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Normally read two books a week. Surely I'll up my game on holidays? If not then, then when? An hour or two a day while the kids are in the pool. No WiFi probably in the campsite - that's an extra hour or two.
                                                                                          I'd probably average 30 mins a day, a great evening is an hour uninterrupted.

On holidays I reckon I'd do well to get through one book, but probably just to do with the age profile of the kids.

After they've gone to bed my only time, and then there's other pressures, TV with the wife, cooking.

Comment

Never listened to an audio book.

The only podcast I ever listened to was the Rome one.

Just not a format that works.

Re: DPD, they lost a ~€250 order from that french food site that was recommended here. Never got any restitution in the end.

Also, had an incident at my last address, DPD dropped a package to a neighbouring business. The manager insisted that the driver drive back, take it and personally hand it over to me. Very bizarre for a business that would rely on local custom.

Comment

We use DPD a lot in work, they're generally grand. Good customer service in my experience. Few issues but no business in that industry is free of issues.

GLS on the other hand are absolute cunce.

Comment

We use DPD a lot in work, they're generally grand. Good customer service in my experience. Few issues but no business in that industry is free of issues.

I remember I used to deliver NTL boxes, must have been 10 years ago. You'd get the odd customer who wasn't home on a Friday afternoon, who would insist on it being delivered on a Saturday morning between 7 and 8. I always made sure I was there to wake them up at 7am on the dot. Never had one who I wasn't getting out of their bed.

Comment

I'm usually asleep within 3 min of listening to an audio book on the couch or in bed.
                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

How did the missus hold up today Hitch?

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                      looking through the slow uptake of the FPL this year really hammers home how many posters we've misplaced along the way

kevirl, bohsman, mdoug, roadsweeper, ian_mac, davey devil, rigger, juanpablo, el rifle, eagle eye, silver tiger, flushdraw...sure there's a bigger list but that's just the obvious fpler's off the top of my head

all usual suspects missing in action and can't remember the last time I saw any of them post at all.

Anyway, only 1 week left until FPL starts for any interested parties.
                                                                                                      Can't even remember when it took place, but when this site moved to the new 'style' it ruined it for me. Very, very rarely log in anymore and used to be on it the whole time.

Comment

You did! I remember mocking you at the time.
                                                                                                        Guess I should have wrote a book about it

Comment

got me 2nd jab today.
                                                                                                          Offically bulletproof

Comment

got me 2nd jab today.
                                                                                                            Offically bulletproof
                                                                                                            gz. Few pince next Friday?
                                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

got me 2nd jab today.
                                                                                                              Offically bulletproof
                                                                                                              You do know it takes a couple of weeks to take effect?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

gz. Few pince next Friday?
                                                                                                                I'm up for some. I'll try not to embarrass yiz too much <fingers crossed emojee>

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                  How did the missus hold up today Hitch?
                                                                                                                  She's one of the four of us that hasn't yet got sick, but is threatening to be next in the vomitorium that has already claimed the two kids as early fallers. It seems we got lucky with the mild calm crossing last year and the sea is actually a horrible mean beast.

Just 14 more hours till arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                    I'm usually asleep within 3 min of listening to an audio book on the couch or in bed.
                                                                                                                    Yeah, I find them very soporific.

Comment

Some of the stories I heard about G*L*S* during lockdown...couldn't put them in print they were that bad

Comment

Am in the market for an e-reader / e-ink note taker. Remarkable 2.0 except not that kinda cash. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'm up for some. I'll try not to embarrass yiz too much <fingers crossed emojee>
                                                                                                                          Mad that we can just pop into town for a few pince coz we feel like it. Let's do this. What's to be embarrassed about?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X