• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auckland in 7.30 leop
    due to run well

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

sounds wonderful but the thoughts of talking to sommeliers and chefs while eating and drinking their food fills me with a kind of dread.
      Me too kinda i'd feel like i'm trying to keep pace in a kinda culinary fencing tete-a-tate. I'm sure it's flattering and all at the time and afterwards thinking back on it but the thoughts of it have a bit of dread to it aright. If i'm a millonaire ill be right into that shit and that bastard better be up to his game. Its probably just the deap seated Catholicism we cant shake off.
      Although I like staff to come over organically and of their own volition rather than a matter of course. Like in the Cedar Tree on Andrews Street last Thurs evening after Glorious Goodwood. I can tell you the fare there is still top notch tonto.

At one stage I after drinks arrived I was checking my evening 49's when the foreign waitress overheard and came over to ask about it keenly. I was giving here all the details but suggested keep to the bookie lotto numbers instead because its televised(newbs get a bit fretty when searching for results that aren't national).

As I was explaining to her the merits of keeping to the 3 numbers incl the bonus whilst checking my bet slip I realised I got 2 numbers and 1 away from the other number and when I showed her she was overcome in a kinda light bulb moment like you do when you think you have come across a time machine. She was thinking this is so easy by the sounds. I soon quenched her ideas with some reality before getting back to my rum based cocktail that tasted like liquid turkish delight and had almonds floating on the top which is something I would have never thought of throwing in but you dont question these things.

Got the Mezze which consisted of Hummus, Baba Ganouge, Tabouleh, Falafel, Arayess, Sujok, Fried Kibbeh, Fatayer Lahem, Spiced Potatoes & A Portion of Bread. Bread was kinda meh good for scooping the hummus but overall forget about it. And I was feeling full and done already thinking that was it when the main dish arrived which was Spiced Chicken Kafta served with Rice. Unbelievable it was but if I could change anything id have had the main first it was so good and then the Mezze but those sort of notions could get you killed in Lebanon or even Dublin as those kitchen chefs were as authentic looking as hell.

Comment

Screenshot_20210805_152601_com.android.gallery3d.jpg IMG_20210805_151720.jpg

Comment

I watched Arrival last night, a very clever sci-fi film. I loved it - 5/5. Don't want to give too much away but it's basically the opposite of independence day.

Comment

I know the owners, you would have been killed alright.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

think there's another option where you get 16 separate yokes as your starter, you got off lightly imo

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                Are they older or younger do you reckon?

Also I win the last longest.
                Erm, maybe not....
                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Yours is this week isn't it? No sign of mine.

Imagining a thick dublin accent saying "Baba Ganouge".

Comment

Never heard of getting the mezzes and a main course! Jaysus. Sounds amazing though.
                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I doubt I have ever actually consented to receive the main course after the mezze in the Cedar Tree.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                        I doubt I have ever actually consented to receive the main course after the mezze in the Cedar Tree.
                        correct play is to order mezze and say 'we'll see how we go'

Comment

If i get my 2nd jab cert tomorrow. Can i eat indoors tomorrow night?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

correct play is to order mezze and say 'we'll see how we go'
                            Didnt think that was an option as its all wrapped into the same price. Mezze for 2.
                            When the Mezze was done I was done but as she was taking the dishes away I joked like I wasnt even full that we will have a main course now. She kinda replied ok ok in a way that said hold your horses its coming. But when it arrived I had to apologize and say I was joking about that comment as I thought that was it.
                            You can see how in depth the choice was before ordering!. 'Mezze looks good doesnt it, yeah lets go for that'

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                              Possibly... Depends if you have your cert then.
                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Yours is this week isn't it? No sign of mine.

Imagining a thick dublin accent saying "Baba Ganouge".
                                I managed to misclick the medical questions.
                                to add to my punishment, the rescheduled time is 8:20am Sunday.

​​​​​​
                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Interesting, but hard to disagree with any of it.

I do notice a big switch in gears around marriage the last 10 years or so, whereas before it was always (at least to me) communicated as hard but rewarding work.

Now though there is a new veneer to society, rooted in selfishness, that if the relationship isn’t perfect for you all the time, go find one that is. I believe that leads to more unhappiness as now you’ve just ramped up already unreasonable expectations to new levels.

Humans are social creatures but independent thinkers. Tough oul nut.
                                  I get that sense as well. I think the more exposure you have to rose-tinted lifestyles, the perfect body/marriage/house the more unhappy and unsatisfied people become.

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                  Got to agree with all this, most of my freinds, mid thirties seem at best, bored senseless if not pretty unhappy in their marriages.

I have been single around four years. I find the idea of 'asking the Mrs' if I can go out for a pint or away for the weekend or anything else absolutely one of the most depressing things in the world. Simply dont get it, obv some lads are happy to throw the Mrs under the bus as they just want to watch Netlix or whatever, but unless can find a relationship that allows the other person the freedom to live their life totally inhibited, cant imagine ever being in a relationship again. Parents 50 year anniversary last week was a strange things to look at from the outside.
                                  I’m not sure that looking for a relationship that will leave you totally inhibited is logical or likely to be successful. Being married or In a relationship to me is like a partnership there is mutually benefits and costs and I don’t think it’s optimal to think of as a ledger as to who’s ahead or behind. There are constraints on your life like a limit on absolute freedom but there is also the huge benefit of the absence of loneliness that come with it. Looking to find someone to give to I think is healthier And more likely to succeed than looking to find someone who won’t cramp your current lifestyle as much. My 2c

Comment

Anyone that likes there will quite like Shouk's food. Hard to finish the €30 mezze between two even.
                                    The most authentic Middle Eastern food in Dublin Based in the heart of Drumcondra, full menu for take away, collection and sit in dining. Available for event bookings contact us today.

Comment

Yes just the card is enough for dining, not for travel though.

Comment

Hasnt the Joe fellow turned into a lovely young fellow (to be said in a Dublin mammy voice ) sure hes a credit . Bread and jam in Donegal does you the world of good.

Comment

If you have your cert by tomorrow and they scan it, it will reject it until the 7 or 14 day period to qualify as fully vaccinated. If the place accepts the vaccine card youll probably be let in.
                                          airport, lol

Comment

Anyone that likes there will quite like Shouk's food. Hard to finish the €30 mezze between two even.
                                            https://www.shouk.ie/
                                            Made a veggie finger sambo last night I wont need to eat until Spring roll . My stomach is bloated like a Buddah belly. I think I reached enlightenment during the scoffing ritual
                                            Last edited by Solksjaer!; 05-08-21, 16:11.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

If you have your cert by tomorrow and they scan it, it will reject it until the 7 or 14 day period to qualify as fully vaccinated. If the place accepts the vaccine card youll probably be let in.
                                              Was in various pubs on Sat . Just showed my phone . No scanning. Anyone see the Danny Healy Rae pub Shenanigans . Ha no difince there Dinny .

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

Me too kinda i'd feel like i'm trying to keep pace in a kinda culinary fencing tete-a-tate. I'm sure it's flattering and all at the time and afterwards thinking back on it but the thoughts of it have a bit of dread to it aright. If i'm a millonaire ill be right into that shit and that bastard better be up to his game. Its probably just the deap seated Catholicism we cant shake off.
                                                Although I like staff to come over organically and of their own volition rather than a matter of course. Like in the Cedar Tree on Andrews Street last Thurs evening after Glorious Goodwood. I can tell you the fare there is still top notch tonto.

At one stage I after drinks arrived I was checking my evening 49's when the foreign waitress overheard and came over to ask about it keenly. I was giving here all the details but suggested keep to the bookie lotto numbers instead because its televised(newbs get a bit fretty when searching for results that aren't national).

As I was explaining to her the merits of keeping to the 3 numbers incl the bonus whilst checking my bet slip I realised I got 2 numbers and 1 away from the other number and when I showed her she was overcome in a kinda light bulb moment like you do when you think you have come across a time machine. She was thinking this is so easy by the sounds. I soon quenched her ideas with some reality before getting back to my rum based cocktail that tasted like liquid turkish delight and had almonds floating on the top which is something I would have never thought of throwing in but you dont question these things.

Got the Mezze which consisted of Hummus, Baba Ganouge, Tabouleh, Falafel, Arayess, Sujok, Fried Kibbeh, Fatayer Lahem, Spiced Potatoes & A Portion of Bread. Bread was kinda meh good for scooping the hummus but overall forget about it. And I was feeling full and done already thinking that was it when the main dish arrived which was Spiced Chicken Kafta served with Rice. Unbelievable it was but if I could change anything id have had the main first it was so good and then the Mezze but those sort of notions could get you killed in Lebanon or even Dublin as those kitchen chefs were as authentic looking as hell.
                                                Cedar Tree is great. Have been there a few times. First time I wasn't expecting or able for the chicken main after the mezze.

I was in your old haunt of the Damascus Gate when things first opened up. Maitre D’ Shep Proudfoot was still there and as impressive. Completing unprompted, after the initial sitting down, when he left, my dining partner remarked that they'd trust him with their life.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Aviva are horrific in ireland. I wouldn’t even include them on a long list of potential options for clients.
                                                  People really get screwed if they get a bad company policy. I'm 0/2 now

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Going into an individual policy is such bad value. Double the fees for what is on offer in a similar corporate arrangement. Mastertrusts will be mainstream within the next few years which should give you some cheaper options but it’s very painful for an individual pension saver at present.
                                                  Rebate of 0.25% off Standard Life’s usual annual charges. So 0.75% annual charge for many Standard Life funds, 0.65% for Vanguard funds and 0.75% for Self-Directed area, allowing you to buy shares directly, ETFs etc.
                                                  Does it actually cose more than the advertised 0.65%? I understand that when the likes of Irish Life claim 1% for their funds they've understating the true costs. But, if Standard Life are charging a headline 0.65% and using low cost Vanguard, is there true cost still going to be greater than 0.65% + 0.12 or w/e Vanguard is?

Standard Life pay the broker 1.5% (5 year clawback), some deal for signing a few forms

Another broker is telling me that the real cost of standard life is far higher. And is pushing me towards the Conexim platform. But tbh, talking to him on the phone, it didn't even sounds like he was convincing himself.

1. Execution only via Conexim platform (Pershing) with access to all listed stocks and thousands of UCITS funds. https://www.leapplatform.ie/about/overview for more info on this pension product.

Costs: 1% initial transfer cost (payable by pension) & ongoing charges of 1% per annum base.... plus funds on top of that so circa 1.2% if choosing passive funds. OCF figures quoted and full transparency on this. No dealing fees/commissions etc on funds.

2. Execution only via Standard Life. Access to two Vanguard funds (global equity & emerging markets equities)

Costs: 1% initial and 1.25% ongoing. AMC quoted as opposed to OCF which is problematic as impossible to give accurate costs.

3. Managed portfolio of passive funds by discretionary fund manager PortfolioMetrix. Platform access via Conexim above.

Costs: 1% initial transfer cost (payable by pension) & ongoing charges of 1% per annum base.... plus funds and management fees equal 1.7% total ongoing charges. OCF figures quoted and full transparency on all fees. No dealing fees/commissions etc on funds. This option sounds more expensive than Standard Life above but we are comparing OCF and AMC which is not even close to a fair comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Cedar Tree is great. Have been there a few times. First time I wasn't expecting or able for the chicken main after the mezze.

I was in your old haunt of the Damascus Gate when things first opened up. Maitre D’ Shep Proudfoot was still there and as impressive. Completing unprompted, after the initial sitting down, when he left, my dining partner remarked that they'd trust him with their life.
                                                    Brilliant, haha what a thing to say from a casual dining encounter but Id feel the same. Just a very fair man. That said he'd scutch you with his own belt Fargo style if he didnt think you were playing straight also.

Comment

Feck it anyway.

I’ve posted a few times here about The Score as an investment.

I had plans of $75 CAD as my selling point. I figured their advantages in the Canadian market would make that a very achievable sp. ~4bil market cap or so.

The fuckers just sold out to Penn National (who also owns Barstool) for 2billion.

Made a very very tidy profit overall on the trade but what could have been.

Deal is 17USD cash (yum yum for my Canadian tfsa) and .2398 Penn Shares (listed in USD).

So overall the deal is prob a win tbh. Penn now in a great spot to take on Flutter in NA as king of the ring.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I support trans-rights in general. But the reality is that sports are segregated by sex, for obvious reasons. Being trans, doesn't solve a lot of those issues.

You have a martial arts background right. Say there's a black belt kickboxer, fed up with coming 3rd in his division. Turns up to competition and enters the womens division. Proceeds to kick the heads of the women in the division. Collects a gold. Do you think that's ok? Should he be unrestricted by his genetic make up and body chemistry? I've yet to hear any reasonable justification for that.
                                                        I largely agree with you. My point is that the scenario you have created paralells with Laurel Hubbard, not Caster Semenya.
                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

No, not officially. But it depends on the attitude of the restaurant I suppose. It's 7 days post second jab for Pfizer and 15 days for AstraZenaca
                                                          Last edited by mcnugget; 05-08-21, 17:41.

Comment

Wheres Elshambles? I havent seen him in a bit!
                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

A few probably still unaware of the /forum weblink. I wonder if an email could be sent out now that bbv is broadly working (although I think we could improve the overall forum design)

Comment

Todays Irish lesson

smugairle róin' is the Irish for -> jellyfish. 'smuga' meaning snot and a 'rón' is a seal! So in Irish a jellyfish translates as seal snot

You are welcome .

Comment

Messi off to pastures new.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                    Todays Irish lesson

smugairle róin' is the Irish for -> jellyfish. 'smuga' meaning snot and a 'rón' is a seal! So in Irish a jellyfish translates as seal snot

You are welcome .
                                                                    Have they stopped using 'fear gorm' for black man?
                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

2nd jab today. Much quicker experience in Punchestown. In and out in 30 mins including waiting time.

running at Tipperary tomorrow
                                                                      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                        A few probably still unaware of the /forum weblink. I wonder if an email could be sent out now that bbv is broadly working (although I think we could improve the overall forum design)
                                                                        Yeah been meaning to fix that....

Should be fixed now, hopefully won't break anything else
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                          Messi off to pastures new.
                                                                          Currently 2/1 to stay at Barcelona. La Liga will blink and let Barca break the rules due to 'unforeseen financial difficulties brought on by the pandemic' and they'll kick the can down the road. La Liga TV deal and a large investment currently being negotiated, Barca seeing their chance to force their hand as they can veto the deals and no Messi = less money for everyone.
                                                                          Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 05-08-21, 19:54.

Comment

Planning permission for 221 houses rejected as there is only space for 235 cars provided. When will we ever grow the fuck up?

Comment

Planning permission for 221 houses rejected as there is only space for 235 cars provided. When will we ever grow the fuck up?
                                                                              Rough enough oul end of the town already. Can't be adding more social housing down there Hitch. It'll become a ghetto.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                Todays Irish lesson

You are welcome .
                                                                                Speaking of jellyfish, I recently learnt of immortal jellyfish.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Speaking of jellyfish, I recently learnt of immortal jellyfish.
                                                                                  This also happens to Male humans aged 40+ they revert mentally to age 20 but the transition usually leads to their death via an irate spouse

Comment

The lucky few that made it to the holidays reading list. Mainly unashamedly pure entertainment. I've been throwing in crap like Little Fires Everywhere into my reading every now and again to get more in touch with my feminine side. Just read the most painfully boring book, Queenie, due to that mission. Oh my god it was painful - I was wondering when all the writing about feelings would stop and the story start, but it turns out the whole 350 pages were just about feelings. But then again the swerve did lead to the spectacular Where the Crawdads Sing, so all is forgiven for a few years.

4okjJ90.png

Comment

Hitch, get ibuprofen, water and lucozade for the missus tomorrow morning. I got jabbed at 9.30am Tuesday and was fine all day, woke up yesterday with what I'd describe as bad hangover symptoms. Dry mouth, sore head, few aches and feeling weak. 2 bottles of lucozade, few tablets and a pile of water saw me right.

Hopefully shes ok but travelling tomorrow could be rough for her.

Comment

King Sitric in Howth tomorrow for lunch. Think it was recommended here but I cant remember by who. Had a quick look at the menu this evening and really looking forward to it. Assume/hope the lobster was taken from the sea today or even tomorrow morning.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                          Hitch, get ibuprofen, water and lucozade for the missus tomorrow morning. I got jabbed at 9.30am Tuesday and was fine all day, woke up yesterday with what I'd describe as bad hangover symptoms. Dry mouth, sore head, few aches and feeling weak. 2 bottles of lucozade, few tablets and a pile of water saw me right.

Hopefully shes ok but travelling tomorrow could be rough for her.
                                                                                          As chance would have it I spoke to the pharmacist and she was all over the fluids and ibu recommendations. Thanks! I think we're grand anyway. We just need to get to the ferry. Get on the ferry. And that's it for the day. The day is done. So it's maybe a grand old day to be getting through symptoms. Have the club lounge as part of our cabin so don't even need to be near people.

Comment

As chance would have it I spoke to the pharmacist and she was all over the fluids and ibu recommendations. Thanks! I think we're grand anyway. We just need to get to the ferry. Get on the ferry. And that's it for the day. The day is done. So it's maybe a grand old day to be getting through symptoms. Have the club lounge as part of our cabin so don't even need to be near people.
                                                                                            Ah that doesn't sound too bad so. Nice nap and a few tablets and she should be grand. Enjoy the trip.

Comment

Surprisingly nervous for what should be something very uneventful. I think the last year has made me (and a lot others probably) excessively nervous about stuff.

Comment

It's amazing the extent to which the gig is up with petrol cars. I think we'll be looking in astonishment at people buying petrol / diesel by 2025 at the absolute latest. Nothing non electric being sold from 2030. Hence why US car producers caved so easily here.

Declaring the U.S. must “move fast” to win the world's carmaking future, President Joe Biden has announced a commitment from the auto industry to produce electric vehicles for as much as half of U.S. sales by the end of the decade.

What's going to happen to all those oil companies? Worthless?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I largely agree with you. My point is that the scenario you have created paralells with Laurel Hubbard, not Caster Semenya.
                                                                                                  The part about being a male athlete first is Hubbard alright, that a fair assessment - but removing it doesn't change the morality.

Hubbard or my hypothetical kickboxer shouldn't be allowed enter the womens division because they are genetically female.
                                                                                                  Caster Semenya.is not genetically female either. So what basis can she be grouped in that category?

You seem to be approaching it as it Semenya is biological female who happens to have a genetic disposition to high testosterone. If that were the case, it would seem to be the case of an athlete getting caught up in the red tape of an other issue. But that's not the case for Semenya. Even with a reduction to the limit, there would still be an unfair advangage imo. The limit is 3 times the normal female range.

Comment

It's amazing the extent to which the gig is up with petrol cars. I think we'll be looking in astonishment at people buying petrol / diesel by 2025 at the absolute latest. Nothing non electric being sold from 2030. Hence why US car producers caved so easily here.

Declaring the U.S. must “move fast” to win the world's carmaking future, President Joe Biden has announced a commitment from the auto industry to produce electric vehicles for as much as half of U.S. sales by the end of the decade.

What's going to happen to all those oil companies? Worthless?
                                                                                                    This reminds me of when the government announced a metro for Dublin 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                      The part about being a male athlete first is Hubbard alright, that a fair assessment - but removing it doesn't change the morality.

Hubbard or my hypothetical kickboxer shouldn't be allowed enter the womens division because they are genetically female.
                                                                                                      Caster Semenya.is not genetically female either. So what basis can she be grouped in that category?

You seem to be approaching it as it Semenya is biological female who happens to have a genetic disposition to high testosterone. If that were the case, it would seem to be the case of an athlete getting caught up in the red tape of an other issue. But that's not the case for Semenya. Even with a reduction to the limit, there would still be an unfair advangage imo. The limit is 3 times the normal female range.
                                                                                                      This argument seems to always play out along the “born like this” vs “opted to change” lines, where generally people are more sympathetic to the former over the latter. The arguments you make, as usual mellor, are very logical that it’s hard to find fault in it.

Comment

This reminds me of when the government announced a metro for Dublin 15 years ago.
                                                                                                        The cost may be high but the cheapest time is always now.

Comment

I'll make a prediction; the majority of cars on this planet will still be using the fuel-burning internal combustion engine in the year 2030

Comment

I'll make a prediction; the majority of cars on this planet will still be using the fuel-burning internal combustion engine in the year 2030
                                                                                                            Bold . I'll make a prediction that cars will be less important and prevalent than they are now . ( as we know them )

Comment

That could include hydrogen though, which would be a lot cleaner and renewable.
                                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Nope. The car companies agreed to make a minimum 50% electric by 2030 as all their internal data is showing that the horse is bolted.

Comment

Maybe, as there's a cost effect. In Europe though - min 70% of all cars electric. Edging towards 80%. It will be bizarre to consider non-electric by 2025.

I'd also say it will be up around that in a lot of Asian places, including China. As petrol is quickly wiped out as a policy decision by non-oil producing Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

There is absolutely nothing, and I mean ZERO, to suggest that this will not be the case. I've not seen one reasonable commentator anywhere suggest that this will not be the case. This rates as just about the worst post of merit in your very long posting history. Let's say, if by magic, you can only buy electric in the years 2030+, it's still going to take several years to shift the balance to a majority of electric.
                                                                                                                    Ah, I've made many worse posts than that!

My point is that we tend to see\hear shiny optimistic announcements all the time and never fail to conflate these with actual delivery. e.g. Dublin Metro, Childrens Hospital...pick your own egregious example

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

There is absolutely nothing, and I mean ZERO, to suggest that this will not be the case. I've not seen one reasonable commentator anywhere suggest that this will not be the case. This rates as just about the worst post of merit in your very long posting history. Let's say, if by magic, you can only buy electric in the years 2030+, it's still going to take several years to shift the balance to a majority of electric.
                                                                                                                      I'm hugely confused Ted . Must be the double negative. If looks like you are agreeing with him and also not agreeing with him. I need more sleep probably.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

That could include hydrogen though, which would be a lot cleaner and renewable.
                                                                                                                        the car companies have pretty much dropped hydrogen, right?

Comment

the car companies have pretty much dropped hydrogen, right?
                                                                                                                          Yep. Only Toyota went hydrogen in the end? We're back in the glorious Japan vs world days of VHS vs BetaMax

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X