This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

That's just ruining it for everyone. Making the 12.5% service tip a base minimum on which to tip on top, rather than a highly acceptable tip in a country that already has a very high minimum wage.
    When I lived in the States for a few years I was driven demented by one of my friends who, when he and his girlfriend (now wife) were over to visit me, would routinely tip 30%+ after having lunch or dinner in regular neighbourhood diners and restaurants, instead of the 15% that was standard at that point. If I told him 'you're ruining it for the rest of us living here!' once, I said it a million times So much madness over there around tipping, a different time with work colleagues, one of the girls I worked with was deemed to have grossly under-tipped by a server and was followed out onto the street by said server for verbals!

Comment

That's just ruining it for everyone. Making the 12.5% service tip a base minimum on which to tip on top, rather than a highly acceptable tip in a country that already has a very high minimum wage.
      We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I always tip based on service in restaurants. On this occasion, the service was nothing short of excellent and as such, I felt that the 12.5% added to the bill didn't reflect how good it was so I gave extra.

Comment

You'll be as bad as Canada soon enough! When I first moved here min. wage was approx $9.80 an hour and the standard tipping was 15%. If you where working in a bar or restaurant you'd be milking it in on the weekend. Had a few friends clear $500 a night in tips regularly who worked in clubs/high end bars. A mate took a large enough pay cut to go from server to Engineer

Since then min wage has gone up to $15 an hour, so bars, restaurants etc. have now adjusted their prices to pay their staff (no issues there) but now you'll be handed a POS machine and the minimum tip prompts will start at 18% or even 20%! Min wage has gone up 50%, the price of the meal/beers has increased meaning a higher bill to be tipping at 15% anyway and now they're trying to move the minimum tip % up too. All round going out for food/drink has jumped a lot! And if you're a regular server working full time shifts you are making a very good living. The tipping culture here is madness.
        Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 03-08-21, 15:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post

You'll be as bad as Canada soon enough! When I first moved here min. wage was approx $9.80 an hour and the standard tipping was 15%. If you where working in a bar or restaurant you'd be milking it in on the weekend. Had a few friends clear $500 a night in tips regularly who worked in clubs/high end bars. A mate took a large enough pay cut to go from server to Engineer

Since then min wage has gone up to $15 an hour, so bars, restaurants etc. have now adjusted their prices to pay their staff (no issues there) but now you'll be handed a POS machine and the minimum tip prompts will start at 18% or even 20%! Min wage has gone up 50%, the price of the meal/beers has increased meaning a higher bill to be tipping at 15% anyway and now they're trying to move the minimum tip % up too. All round going out for food/drink has jumped a lot! And if you're a regular server working full time shifts you are making a very good living. The tipping culture here is madness.
          And its Lao Lao bringing this culture to Ireland. Cop on shipping man. Based on your description of the meal you were impressed with the food itself, and you gave that as your original reason for the tip. Yet. The. Waiters. Don't. Make. The. Food.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I always tip based on service in restaurants. On this occasion, the service was nothing short of excellent and as such, I felt that the 12.5% added to the bill didn't reflect how good it was so I gave extra.
            We would consider ourselves decent tippers when eating out because we both worked for long enough in the service industry and know what it's like. But I'd take the opposite opinion in that if a place is charging you for the service, it better be 110% absolutely spot on perfect. And I wont be tipping on top of it.

I get that not all Irish people tip and dont tip a lot because tbf the wages are pretty decent here but I'd always tip around the 20% mark. So they lose 7.5% from my tip but gain elsewhere from others who may not tip at all.

I'd be on Hitch side here. Dont want service charges to become common because I'm not guaranteed to get the service they're charging for.

Comment

And he wanted deposits last week. The middle aged middle class white man is indeed ruining the country. I'm going to lock myself in a basement to protect the country from people like me.

Comment

And he wanted deposits last week. The middle aged middle class white man is indeed ruining the country. I'm going to lock myself in a basement to protect the country from people like me.
                You're on the wrong side of the deposit debate tho they're definitely a good thing with no down side for genuine diners

Comment

I was meeting up with a guy earlier who looks a bit more broken than he did when I last met him six years ago. Just got divorced and finished selling off the family home. A nice home in a nice area, they cleared €700k. He's now facing into the conundrum of where the fuck do you live in Dublin when you've €350k to your name and not many future earning years left. He seemed life stumped.

Comment

I was meeting up with a guy earlier who looks a bit more broken than he did when I last met him six years ago. Just got divorced and finished selling off the family home. A nice home in a nice area, they cleared €700k. He's now facing into the conundrum of where the fuck do you live in Dublin when you've €350k to your name and not many future earning years left. He seemed life stumped.
                    welcome him to the working class. Plenty of fine houses for 350k about, just not in leafy neighbourhoods with Range Rovers and Tesla's in the drive. Seems like he's never faced a little financial difficulty before, a nice learning curve for him later in life. Most people in Dublin would gladly switch financial situations with him, he needs to suck it up.

This isn't a financial difficult situation either. If he has a house that he's clearing 700k on he likely has a very healthy pension pot too something a lot of people his age don't have but might have an asset (their house) worth 275-300k and that's it.
                    Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 03-08-21, 15:59.

Comment

Sweet Jesus Hitch.

One minute, you're saying how people on EUR€10.20 an hour are on a very high minimum wage and the next you're feeling sorry for the lad who has $350K in his back pocket

You need to go back on Twitter - The twitter folk need to share some of the nonsense you spout, we can't deal with it all on here

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

It’s PAYE only and includes part timers.

Any views from your colleagues on the non tech sectors?

PS what is the value of share awards beyond the three year tax effective stuff which I assume are standard for everyone in tech.
                        Share awards are a massive pain in the arse and just handcuffs to keep people from leaving as easily. I spend a lot of time explaining to people that nobody else will compensate you for their loss in your next base salary.

not actually as widespread as you would think in tech. Just a few big names and us brands that do it - I do hear about it in the finance firms quite a lot tho

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

We would consider ourselves decent tippers when eating out because we both worked for long enough in the service industry and know what it's like. But I'd take the opposite opinion in that if a place is charging you for the service, it better be 110% absolutely spot on perfect. And I wont be tipping on top of it.

I get that not all Irish people tip and dont tip a lot because tbf the wages are pretty decent here but I'd always tip around the 20% mark. So they lose 7.5% from my tip but gain elsewhere from others who may not tip at all.

I'd be on Hitch side here. Dont want service charges to become common because I'm not guaranteed to get the service they're charging for.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from and generally agree. I'd normally be in round the 15% tip mark but on this occasion, the service was excellent. it's kind of hard to put into words but everything was just perfect service wise. Everything they did was spot on but there was no fuss, it was like they did something without you noticing - stealth like. There was just the right amount of interaction, they were super friendly and pleasant without being too over familiar. They seemed to pre-empt things we were going to ask for, they came across as being genuinely happy to be working there. You can argue that should be the case in every decent restaurant but sadly that is not the case so when it does happen, I think it should be acknowledged in the form of a decent tip.

If I was to choose, I would prefer no service charge and only tip and in places where they do have a service, I have often not tipped more as I felt that amount was adequate. Similarly, if we got terrible service, I'd have no problem telling them where to go with their service charge. Thankfully, I've only ever had to do that once and it was a very long time ago.

Comment

We finished season 2 of The Leftovers last night, I forgot how emotional Kevin singing homeward bound was, outstanding second season.

My memory of S3 is its the weakest, hopefully not.

Wife hasn't a clue whats going on...
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Reading this is like describing myself and my Dad. Had to explain to him about half a dozen times yesterday how to turn on/off the TV - 'You press the big red button on the top left of the remote' and then proceed to demonstrate it a few times so he knew it was right

Old age is a complete and utter cunt of the highest order.
                              Hope hes not too bad LL and that it's just regular being a fit forgetful.
                              My parents both passed within 3 years of each other in my early and mid twenties which was tough enough with illness involved etc but I think I would find it very difficult watching them decline mentally as well as physically.

One thing I was very impressed with was the bank girls patience.
                              No sign of frustration or brusqueness just very gently explaining what to do in any number of ways.

Comment

Hope Tim tips well

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

It’s complete madness.

and yet the place here will vilify you if you don’t tip.
                                  Bad service = 10% now.
                                  Good service = 25%

There is no real scenario where you don’t tip.

I am a net beneficiary of it though so I won’t complain, my missus is the GM of a very popular bar and she clears 6 figures easy(a lot of which is under the table and tax free) I worry that some day it’ll come crashing down.

She saved her house deposit at 22 with tip money earned from working the beer cart on a golf course in summer and serving in a bar over winter.

I don’t think it’s possible for a 22 year old to buy a house in Ireland no matter what they do!
                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

welcome him to the working class. Plenty of fine houses for 350k about, just not in leafy neighbourhoods with Range Rovers and Tesla's in the drive. Seems like he's never faced a little financial difficulty before, a nice learning curve for him later in life. Most people in Dublin would gladly switch financial situations with him, he needs to suck it up.

This isn't a financial difficult situation either. If he has a house that he's clearing 700k on he likely has a very healthy pension pot too something a lot of people his age don't have but might have an asset (their house) worth 275-300k and that's it.
                                    Sure. It's a particular perspective on life he has and people like him (and he was quite aware of it, it in fairness to him). Been a boss for so long that he's probably forgotten what it was all like back in the day when there was a bit of a struggle. I think he can't get much of a mortgage as salary is split half with the wife.

Comment

Is that aimed at me? I don't think so. Haven't thought about beer in about two years. Pubs are handy enough for having loads of space though.
                                      Just thought it was an odd choice given your previous tendencies to go full-on Shane MacGowan on the smell of a damp beermat.
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Old age is a complete and utter cunt of the highest order.
                                        Beats the alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Just thought it was an odd choice given your previous tendencies to go full-on Shane MacGowan on the smell of a damp beermat.
                                          Maybe! Although I seemlessly transitioned from building a life around beer to building a life around other things, without the slightest glance in the rear mirror, so think it's no bother. Covid seems to have killed the beermat. Not sure there's many realistic options to just sit somewhere without hassle that aren't pubs.
                                          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 03-08-21, 16:52.

Comment

Sure. It's a particular perspective on life he has and people like him (and he was quite aware of it, it in fairness to him). Been a boss for so long that he's probably forgotten what it was all like back in the day when there was a bit of a struggle. I think he can't get much of a mortgage as salary is split half with the wife.
                                            If he can't get much of a mortgage well he'll just have to put up the guts of his 350k towards it and have a small mortgage that he can pay off in whatever time frame he has or dip into his pension pot (again assuming he has one). This is not a problem worth even discussing. His life has changed, he'll need to downsize/relocate to an area he can now afford, plenty of homes in the 350-400k range in nice areas/older quieter areas that may have been a little more rough in the past. He'll likely buy a place, meet someone else and be selling it again in a few years time when they move in together.

Feel for the men and women who are working normal jobs, get divorced and can only afford to rent a room in someone else's house while trying to see their kids on the weekend too but don't actually have anywhere for their kids to stay while still paying towards their ex's mortgage. Your mate has it easy.
                                            Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 03-08-21, 17:12.

Comment

Maybe! Although I seemlessly transitioned from building a life around beer to building a life around other things, without the slightest glance in the rear mirror, so think it's no bother. Covid seems to have killed the beermat. Not sure there's many realistic options to just sit somewhere without hassle that aren't pubs.
                                              Most sports clubs will have a club house with coffees, soft drinks and light bites during the week.

Comment

Libraries are great too Hitch.

That said, fuck it, enjoy the pub, the people watching and general buzz is refreshing even if you aren’t imbibing.
                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

If he can't get much of a mortgage well he'll just have to put up the guts of his 350k towards it and have a small mortgage that he can pay off in whatever time frame he has or dip into his pension pot (again assuming he has one). This is not a problem worth even discussing. His life has changed, he'll need to downsize/relocate to an area he can now afford, plenty of homes in the 350-400k range in nice areas/older quieter areas that may have been a little more rough in the past. He'll likely buy a place, meet someone else and be selling it again in a few years time when they move in together.

Feel for the men and women who are working normal jobs, get divorced and can only afford to rent a room in someone else's house while trying to see their kids on the weekend too but don't actually have anywhere for their kids to stay while still paying towards their ex's mortgage. Your mate has it easy.
                                                  I doubt his Mrs will let him dip into his Pension Pot as she'll want to keep it robust for her 50%!

Comment

One (of a few) mates getting divorced. No kids. He earns maybe 30% more than her but both on decent wedge. Agreed to sell house, split any loots and off they go. Seems fair.

Then her mate told her to get a Solicitor and see what she could get. Next thing she wants to stay in the house, him to pay half the mortgage and monthly payments with 50% of his pension. Money talks.

Comment

[QUOTE=Hitchhiker's Guide To...;n1699170]

Maybe! Although I seemlessly transitioned from building a life around beer to building a life around other things, without the slightest glance in the rear mirror, so think it's no bother. Covid seems to have killed the beermat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                        One (of a few) mates getting divorced. No kids. He earns maybe 30% more than her but both on decent wedge. Agreed to sell house, split any loots and off they go. Seems fair.

Then her mate told her to get a Solicitor and see what she could get. Next thing she wants to stay in the house, him to pay half the mortgage and monthly payments with 50% of his pension. Money talks.
                                                        Worse with kids though. Heard some horror stories of fathers being denied access.

Comment

Sports clubs and libraries. How many new lows can we reach.

Comment

This is such a shite, yet common, perspective. That people should ignore the pain they are personally feeling because someone else has it worse. To him, and that's all he's got, his situation is pretty fucking serious!

Comment

How would the other partner be entitled to anything if they've no kids?

Comment

Worse with kids though. Heard some horror stories of fathers being denied access.
                                                                Tell them to stick pictures of Joe O'Reilly around the place , smile and keep asking her if she has any questions. Worst case the kids get the bus to Port Laoise ever month to visit.

delete delete .

Comment

Sports clubs and libraries. How many new lows can we reach.
                                                                  V?

Comment

This is such a shite, yet common, perspective. That people should ignore the pain they are personally feeling because someone else has it worse. To him, and that's all he's got, his situation is pretty fucking serious!
                                                                    It is awful and easy isn't the right word. But it does make the financial side of divorce easier, that's what money does, life is easier with it, for him, his kids etc.
                                                                    Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 03-08-21, 18:13.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Hope hes not too bad LL and that it's just regular being a fit forgetful.
                                                                      My parents both passed within 3 years of each other in my early and mid twenties which was tough enough with illness involved etc but I think I would find it very difficult watching them decline mentally as well as physically.

One thing I was very impressed with was the bank girls patience.
                                                                      No sign of frustration or brusqueness just very gently explaining what to do in any number of ways.
                                                                      Yeah, my mam died when I was 21- It was a sudden heart attack with no warning which was very tough for us but there was no real suffering or anything drawn out for her which I guess is the best way to go from the departed's point of view.

With my Dad, it's been difficult to figure out exactly how he is doing, whether it's just old age forget fullness or something more serious. I've had a suspicion for a while that it's the later. He was always razor sharp (mentally wise) and I've felt like he's known that his mental state has been deteriorating but he still has enough about him to do a pretty decent job in hiding it. I think Covid has bizarrely helped him with this as he wouldn't have been socialising with as many people as normal, plus my sisters and I haven't seen each other anywhere as much as we normally would have and we probably haven't been as attentive on texts/calls as we would be in person. As restrictions have lifted, we're seeing/talking to each a lot more other more and we're noticing that we're sometimes getting three different stories for the same event from him.

One of my favourite strokes my Dad has pulled is around his driving. After his initial stroke, he had to have a regular test to ensure he could still drive safely. We had being gently trying to get him to give up driving for a while as he really shouldn't have been on the road (even before the stroke) but he would have none of it. On the day of the test, he would be up at 5am to get himself ready for an 11am test. Full on suit, shirt, tie, polished shoes, fresh shave, you'd think he was off to his own wedding - To look at, he looked perfectly normal and healthy which was almost half the battle. He'd have read/caught up on some very recent news/current affairs and would drop them into the conversation casually so from an outsider looking in, everything seemed rosy. but the real killer, would be that he'd go down the cul de sac that my house faces onto and remember every car reg plate off by heart. He wears glasses so when the tester would ask him about his sight and if there was any side effects from the stroke, he reply that with his glasses, he had 20/20 vision and that he could easily read the reg plates off any of the cars down the road. The tester would almost be in disbelief and would call out a few cars by color/make and sure enough my Dad would 'read' off the reg - Test passed! A week later, I'd call over to him and there would be a fresh scrape/dent on the car that was caused by "a really old lady who wasn't minding where she was going" and how he felt sorry for her so he let her head off and didn't bother putting the cost to fix it through her insurance as it'd be a bit of an ordeal for her to deal with at her age

Beats the alternative.
                                                                      I probably should have phrased that better, old age and poor health is a complete and utter cunt of the highest order!
                                                                      Last edited by Lao Lao; 03-08-21, 18:17.

Comment

Infuriating.

This won’t help Strewels vendetta against the legal profession.

The union of just and moral is where this lies.

She might be entitled to it under Irish law (I haven’t the foggiest) or entitled to a shot at it, but morally speaking could she be that person. I guess people are shitty man.

I say that knowing I don’t know the full story or the the level of vitriol in the breakup.

I’ve learned that just moving on and getting the mental space right again is worth so much more to a person than any sort of bad blood or prolonged engagement. But maybe that’s just me.

And it’s also easy to say with the benefit of having zero experience in the matter.

Comment

How would the other partner be entitled to anything if they've no kids?
                                                                          I don't know how it works, random guessing about conduct of spouse along with accustomed lifestyle and probably other things we can't think of.
                                                                          Strange situation though, if people marry somebody earning a lot less it's most likely quite a risk, although it depends on the people, some won't want anything even if they could get it, not wired like that.

Comment

GAB riding married women imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                              had a conversation last evening the jist of which was

> the majority of married couples are unhappy
                                                                              > people succumb to social pressures at a point in their lives to get married and have kids without due thought and consideration for the long term
                                                                              > for many women, at a point in their life they have a plan, and they are just looking for somebody to slot into it at that point to help them fulfil it

The divorce referendum is starting to show us, belatedly, just how unhappy many people have been in marriages for generations.
                                                                              Interesting, but hard to disagree with any of it.

I do notice a big switch in gears around marriage the last 10 years or so, whereas before it was always (at least to me) communicated as hard but rewarding work.

Now though there is a new veneer to society, rooted in selfishness, that if the relationship isn’t perfect for you all the time, go find one that is. I believe that leads to more unhappiness as now you’ve just ramped up already unreasonable expectations to new levels.

Humans are social creatures but independent thinkers. Tough oul nut.

Comment

I would think younger people are happier now than previous generations, actually thinking more, more exposure to people and choices, and getting somebody they want to be with. Most people my parents age seem to have terrible relationships, one shot at it and stick with it kind of thing.

I often hear of people married very fast still though, like after a couple of years is too soon for that, I'd be on my 3rd or 4th marriage. Also now seems to be more people just choosing to not marry, and only wanting it after a while for legal reasons.

Comment

Indeed, divorce in Ireland is usually a very bad option for working father's. Dice's mate with no kids needs better legal people, no reason why he should be at anything less than 50:50 and if she wants to stay in the family home she can pay half the current price.
                                                                                  Just about every father I know who's been through it handed over too much too easily and while it helped the kids have an extra but if stability as they got through second level and college those lads are mostly banjaxed now and their exes are sitting pretty.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

There's plenty of men getting screwed to the wall after a divorce but I'd guess the numbers aren't much different when it comes to women being left to raise the kids alone with no input from the dead beat dads. It was next to impossible for my mother to get the legal system to enforce it when I was growing up, no idea if it has changed. And I definitely wasn't alone in my group of friends, plenty of mother's working their ass off juggling some type of menial job while trying to control teenage boys alone.
                                                                                    Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 03-08-21, 19:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                      Indeed, divorce in Ireland is usually a very bad option for working father's. Dice's mate with no kids needs better legal people, no reason why he should be at anything less than 50:50 and if she wants to stay in the family home she can pay half the current price.
                                                                                      Just about every father I know who's been through it handed over too much too easily and while it helped the kids have an extra but if stability as they got through second level and college those lads are mostly banjaxed now and their exes are sitting pretty.
                                                                                      Yeah, I would have thought Dice's buddy has no real choice here but to lawyer up with the meanest sonofabitch shyster he can find.

Basically make it clear that he's willing to do whatever it takes to hang onto his fair share of his current and future loot.

divorce_lawyer_2469675.jpg

Comment

Got to agree with all this, most of my freinds, mid thirties seem at best, bored senseless if not pretty unhappy in their marriages.

I have been single around four years. I find the idea of 'asking the Mrs' if I can go out for a pint or away for the weekend or anything else absolutely one of the most depressing things in the world. Simply dont get it, obv some lads are happy to throw the Mrs under the bus as they just want to watch Netlix or whatever, but unless can find a relationship that allows the other person the freedom to live their life totally inhibited, cant imagine ever being in a relationship again. Parents 50 year anniversary last week was a strange things to look at from the outside.

Comment

Jbravado riding married women imo

Comment

Jbravado riding married women imo
                                                                                            A woman that’s bored in a bad sex relationship would be nearly thanking you if you gave her a spin allegedly married man here.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                              Just to say I've no idea what the outcome will be but he was just a bit shocked telling me the latest.

Comment

My mother spent €200k in legal fees to get a better divorce split and managed to get about €20k extra as a result. Well €20k minus her €100k share of the legal fees. It was such an ill thought out gambit. Criminal that the solicitor encouraged it.

Edit: there wasn't even 'much' to fight over to begin with. A few hundred k in home equity. The legal fees were maybe half of the equity available outside of splitting my dad's income up.
                                                                                                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 03-08-21, 20:35.

Comment

Gambit seems to be the word of the day.

Comes from the Italian gambetto, which means 'tripping up'. Somehow ended up in chess terminology and from there to an opening position in legal negotiations.

Comment

Re. 'the family home'; isn't the usual that the wife can stay in it until the kids have finished full time education? At which stage she can buy the ex-husband out or else they sell up and split the proceeds.

Not sure how that works in a kid-free divorce. In my mind, the wife of Dice's buddy is chancing her arm.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                                      Got to agree with all this, most of my freinds, mid thirties seem at best, bored senseless if not pretty unhappy in their marriages.

I have been single around four years. I find the idea of 'asking the Mrs' if I can go out for a pint or away for the weekend or anything else absolutely one of the most depressing things in the world. Simply dont get it, obv some lads are happy to throw the Mrs under the bus as they just want to watch Netlix or whatever, but unless can find a relationship that allows the other person the freedom to live their life totally inhibited, cant imagine ever being in a relationship again. Parents 50 year anniversary last week was a strange things to look at from the outside.
                                                                                                      How common is this? Maybe if there's child minding involved it warrants a discussion, but otherwise?

Comment

Was hoping to swerve this for a bit but seeing as we are on topic....... I'm doing a trial separation at the moment.

Reached a tipping point with the arguments and toxic interactions. Moved out of the family home about two week ago into a small one parson flat. Don't think lock-downs had anything to do with it TBH. It's had been coming for a few years.

Progeny M18 F16 are OK with is. Both busy with their summer jobs and probably are a little relieved that the some of the tension in the house has been diffused. As long as their unpaid taxi service keeps running they will be grand.

I think if it went on any longer we could have lost all respect for each other and possibly ended up hating. Still enough there to salvage something good.

I fully believe the bit of separation will benefit everyone. We have both agreed to try counseling in a couple of months, after we have had time to reflect. We have been absorbed in difficult 'project kids' for a long time, and now that it is coming to an end, we are both wondering what has happened to 'US' as a couple.

Anyway, it's 6 months of separation no matter what. I triggered the move but we are both on board with it.

I'm will still be working from the family home a few days a week so I can pet sit when she is in the office.

Not sure how she will play it when the dust settles but all possible outcomes seem more appealing to me than continuing as we were. I guess in 6 months it will be reconcile, continue trial or splitsville.

All a bit weird. Still very much coming to terms with it.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Sounds like you are taking a mature approach and being honest with the kids. GL with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

It’s complete madness.

and yet the place here will vilify you if you don’t tip.
                                                                                                            Bad service = 10% now.
                                                                                                            Good service = 25%

There is no real scenario where you don’t tip.

I am a net beneficiary of it though so I won’t complain, my missus is the GM of a very popular bar and she clears 6 figures easy(a lot of which is under the table and tax free) I worry that some day it’ll come crashing down.

She saved her house deposit at 22 with tip money earned from working the beer cart on a golf course in summer and serving in a bar over winter.

I don’t think it’s possible for a 22 year old to buy a house in Ireland no matter what they do!
                                                                                                            I remember the Canadian posters on 2p2 used to spend about 20% of their posts discussing tipping. Henry17 probably covered that house deposit.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

How common is this? Maybe if there's child minding involved it warrants a discussion, but otherwise?
                                                                                                                Going for a pint <> going away for the weekend with the lads.

All situational imo - if you have a young baby at home and announce blithely you're heading out on the town, it probably won't go down well with a sleep-deprived wife! And rightly so.

Some men also like to use their wives as an excuse for not going out.

Comment

Yeah, with very young kids in the house you've got to sacrifice your 'freedoms' for a while.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Hope everything works out for you WBM, a very honest thing for you to post.
                                                                                                                    ​​​​​​Also hope your bro is doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                      Yeah, with very young kids in the house you've got to sacrifice your 'freedoms' for a while.
                                                                                                                      I think that was a lot of the opposition to pubs shutting during corona for so long. Men seeing the 'but I always do this' route to easy escapes vanishing by the month as dining in became the new normal and going out the 'file a request' rarity.

Comment

Some men also like to use their wives as an excuse for not going out.
                                                                                                                        It's like in the younger days the excuse was they were either working or had no money.

Comment

This is a fantastic piece of writing..

There had never been an Olympic final quite like this. In truth, there has never been a race quite like this, over any distance, not at any point in the history of this sport. Here was a performance, two performances, plucked from the realm of the extraterrestrial.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X