X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Doesn't look too much different to me.
    I use boards.ie on my phone. It is a mess. Can't find the soccer forum on it
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Categories > Sports > Soccer

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... Serious question, do you do any work at all? Between the amount you post on here, on twitter, courses on game design, you read quite a lot, two young kids, wife - Where do you get the time?

Comment

You can't find it cos it's not there. For some reason it didnt migrate over. It was in the announcement posted by boards this morning.

New site is pretty unusable on mobile. Haven't used desktop version yet and haven't in years. Just use my phone for everything. Mad how much of a mess they've made of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
            Hitchhiker's Guide To... Serious question, do you do any work at all? Between the amount you post on here, on twitter, courses on game design, you read quite a lot, two young kids, wife - Where do you get the time?
            Academia is a scam
            airport, lol

Comment

1st jab done (Pfizer).Arrived 3 mins before scheduled time for jab @ 10:25. Queue to get into a queue as soon as I got there. Was very busy in Punchestown. Out in the car @ 11:45.

Unfortunately I seem to be part of the small % that have symptoms. Very tired, aching pains, genuinely feel like I'm going to throw up. Suck it up and take a few paracetamol I suppose.
              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

All of the VR games, arguing on the internet will be filled under 'research' and projecting how 'clever' professors are. Look at twitter, it's a constant stream of academics arguing or back slapping each other. They have nothing better to do then try build their online persona, get on radio, get in the papers etc.

But on the other end of the spectrum, are the people everywhere that regularly work 50% more than their contracted hours, working silly 60 hour weeks (I believe I've seen yourself post this a few times). Stop it, you're ruining it for the rest of us who are trying to work less. If your job regularly needs you to work more than 35-40 hours a week leave immediately, it's not worth it.

Comment

Academia is actually notorious for the long working hours with 60 hours being average.

Comment

So Apparently one of those lads who was killed in the N7 scumbag crash last week had his hearse stolen and he got a last joyride through red lights etc, burning rubber etc. Videos doing the rounds on Whasapp. Toooo gud for this wooorld he was.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                      Academia is actually notorious for the long working hours with 60 hours being average.
                      I googled this, and the most recent time this was brought was by academics and where was it discussed? You guessed it, twitter debates! They're dossers projecting how hard they work.

Comment

Serious answer: i don't know?! Like, its something I genuinely ponder.

I publish far more research than most other academics, hence my current position which is extremely difficult to get. But it objectively doesn't add up to much 'output' - maybe 30,000 printed words a year, and 90 hours of teaching? But the ideas in those 30,000 words seem to be very strong and that's what science values, this development of new ideas. There's one idea I'm hopefully going to get published this year (its quite far along to being accepted in a scientific journal ranked quite prestigiously) on how to value NFTs, that's the first valuation model for NFTs that anyone has come up with. But did I work much on it; a few weeks maybe, and what was all the rest of the time during the year spend on? I don't know.

I developed a new course that will hopefully be approved by the government soon, and will (hopefully again) attract about €400,000 of annual student fee income. I had a 50% share in a successful application to get a new prof (as in, I did half of the work). That prof award is worth about €2million to the uni based on what the government will hand over in funding for the position. So I've paid my way, I've created more value than I've been paid.

But ... it goes in spikes. In September, October, January, I was easily working 70+ hours a week. Right now? Almost nothing.

The NFT study started from a hobby of looking at NFTs. I've now the first three finance publications on the topic. The new course is based on coding, which also started as a hobby. So, where will future ideas come from? Could it be game design. Might there be some meaning there that can be translated into finance, into business? The tweets are handy ways of maintaining some form of national recognition which help a bit with national program applications, like the new course, like the prof funding. Maybe. They also help to develop argumentative style, which is important in convincing academic studies. Here, I get a huge amount from - cop on, interesting ideas (think the NFT idea started here with DP), and sense of connection!
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

In Hitchs defence. It takes seconds to write a post . Seconds to read one etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                            So Apparently one of those lads who was killed in the N7 scumbag crash last week had his hearse stolen and he got a last joyride through red lights etc, burning rubber etc. Videos doing the rounds on Whasapp. Toooo gud for this wooorld he was.

It's on reddit for now but probably will get taken down.

Comment

Meant to tidy that up before posting, but then the father rang and I clicked send like a hot potato. errors and ommissions excepted.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post

I googled this, and the most recent time this was brought was by academics and where was it discussed? You guessed it, twitter debates! They're dossers projecting how hard they work.
                                You can definitely get away with not much work in academia

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

You can definitely get away with not much work in academia
                                  You can do it in every job, the bigger the company/the more autonomy you have the easier it is. I myself keep a tight reign on how much work I do, I'm not working longer hours just because it's the done thing in the industry. I find it mad the labour abuse people will accept from the company they work for. People need to stop using it as some badge of honour, usually people with no hobbies, no social life, can't enjoy down time/their own company.

Comment

After 5 years of dealing with my court case I had a 1.5 hour negotiation today, where the opposition get to size you up (see that I am well presented, affable, how I come across kind of thing but are not actually allowed to talk to you, so they stare you down across a car park) and my case has finally settled. Delighted that it's over now. Should get paid in a couple of weeks I guess and nice not to duke it out in court. My solicitors said anybody talking to me would be keen to settle which is nice haha.

Got my covid vaccine text just as it settled, off to do the euro millions then.
                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 15-07-21, 15:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                      1st jab done (Pfizer).Arrived 3 mins before scheduled time for jab @ 10:25. Queue to get into a queue as soon as I got there. Was very busy in Punchestown. Out in the car @ 11:45.

Unfortunately I seem to be part of the small % that have symptoms. Very tired, aching pains, genuinely feel like I'm going to throw up. Suck it up and take a few paracetamol I suppose.
                                      Got mine today too. Arrived at UCD at 14.25 (appointment at 14.40). Jabbed and all by 14.30. Cycled home, now having a nice cold Kopparberg. Feeling grand so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                        After 5 years of dealing with my court case I had a 1.5 hour negotiation today, where the opposition get to size you up (see that I am well presented, affable, how I come across kind of thing but are not actually allowed to talk to you, so they stare you down across a car park) and my case has finally settled. Delighted that it's over now. Should get paid in a couple of weeks I guess and nice not to duke it out in court. My solicitors said anybody talking to me would be keen to settle which is nice haha.

Got my covid vaccine text just as it settled, off to do the euro millions then.
                                        Refresh my memory about this case.

Comment

Jesus, the new Boards site is awful.
                                          Makes our operation seem less bad here. Thanks boards!

Comment

You can do it in every job, the bigger the company/the more autonomy you have the easier it is. I myself keep a tight reign on how much work I do, I'm not working longer hours just because it's the done thing in the industry. I find it mad the labour abuse people will accept from the company they work for. People need to stop using it as some badge of honour, usually people with no hobbies, no social life, can't enjoy down time/their own company.
                                            "Most people here work until about 7" well why does the contract say half 5?

Agree, some of those big companies get away with murder.
                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

"Most people here work until about 7" well why does the contract say half 5?

Agree, some of those big companies get away with murder.
                                              Lol. I always laugh any time someone says that to me. Best one was in a hotel. Shift finished at 9.30pm and I'd generally clock out any time from 9.30 to 9.35. Manager called me in one time and said it was expected to stay a bit later. Told them to roster me for whatever time they wanted me to finish then. Never heard another word from them.

Thankfully the expectation that people work for free seems to be dying out

Comment

It's all just busy work anyway.

I reckon if I get a solid Monday and Tuesday in, the rest of the week takes care of itself.
                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Refresh my memory about this case.
                                                  Cycling along in the cycle lane, driver didn't see me, turned into me and fucked me up, unconscious, broken bones kinda thing.

Comment

There is a counter argument to that, which leads you to something resembling where I am but there’s a lot of luck and timing involved, not simply doing extra hours as it’s the done thing. Similarly theres a lot of people who love what they do and don’t see the hours they work as taking away from their life but rather adding to it.

we’ve all got to try and figure out what combination of give/take works for us and try to apply it to our situations as best we can
                                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

There is a counter argument to that, which leads you to something resembling where I am but there’s a lot of luck and timing involved, not simply doing extra hours as it’s the done thing. Similarly theres a lot of people who love what they do and don’t see the hours they work as taking away from their life but rather adding to it.

we’ve all got to try and figure out what combination of give/take works for us and try to apply it to our situations as best we can
                                                      But how many people work in a job they love, or have turned their hobby/something they enjoy into something that earns them money? It's a tiny number. In my own life I don't know anyone who loves their job, not one, from a wide range of industries and on a wide pay scale. Anyone on here, can you honestly admit you love your job? Enough to give up time spent with family and friends, on your hobbies, just relaxing, reading, whatever you like for free (which it is most of the time)? I do know a lot of people working jobs where they are sinking 50/60 hours a week into for no thanks and no extra pay, giving up time with family, friends, cancelling trips last minute because even though they had the time off, they now have to work, or they're carrying their work phone and laptop everywhere with them.

They may enjoy parts and the pay makes life easier for some but I'm talking about people who are going to be working until they're 60/70 years old and giving over their time to employers. Not like yourself who retired young (I think you've retired anyway but may have you mixed up).
                                                      Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 15-07-21, 16:19.

Comment

Got called for an early shot, was in centre ten mins later.
                                                        needle in arm 5 mins after that, and then 15 mins wait. Job half done!

edit: I've since had half a tub of Ben and Jerry's not dairy peanut butter and cookies ice cream, 5 a side at 6pm.
                                                        Outdoors, be grand.
                                                        Last edited by Micknail; 15-07-21, 16:12.
                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                          Got called for an early shot, was in centre ten mins later.
                                                          needle in arm 5 mins after that, and then 15 mins wait. Job half done!

edit: I've since had half a tub of Ben and Jerry's not dairy peanut butter and cookies ice cream, 5 a side at 6pm.
                                                          Outdoors, be grand.
                                                          My swinging story outcome coming along nicely. That icecream is class though.

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post

Got mine today too. Arrived at UCD at 14.25 (appointment at 14.40). Jabbed and all by 14.30. Cycled home, now having a nice cold Kopparberg. Feeling grand so far.
                                                            GFYKK82..person in front of me in the queue was registering for their vaccine and when asked their appointment time he said 11:00, this was at 10:25, in fairness to him he probably only got around to registering for vax at that time cos there were so many people there.

Just don't understand when it says on the SMS don't turn up early, people still do. I'd imagine thats why it took so long for me to go through the whole process today.
                                                            Last edited by Pat Mustard; 15-07-21, 16:42.
                                                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

First vaccine I had no side effects bar the sore arm, went for a few beers after. The second kicked the bollocks out of me (and that seems to be the norm between most people I know), chills, headache, body aches, so I wouldn't have a packed day of activities planned the next day. It takes a good 6-12 hours to kick in and lasted about 18 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I wonder did he get cremated.

Again.
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

All of the VR games, arguing on the internet will be filled under 'research' and projecting how 'clever' professors are. Look at twitter, it's a constant stream of academics arguing or back slapping each other. They have nothing better to do then try build their online persona, get on radio, get in the papers etc.

But on the other end of the spectrum, are the people everywhere that regularly work 50% more than their contracted hours, working silly 60 hour weeks (I believe I've seen yourself post this a few times). Stop it, you're ruining it for the rest of us who are trying to work less. If your job regularly needs you to work more than 35-40 hours a week leave immediately, it's not worth it.

I do work more hours than I should and there is several reasons for it and you can argue both sides on the reasons.

I do mostly enjoy my job. The last 16 months have not been as enjoyable but a lot that is outside everyone's control. The effect that Covid has had on my industry is massive and it's not just me or my company - I speak to people right across the industry all the time and we are all pretty much in the same boat (pardon the pun) It's also not likely to change much in the next 6-8 months so that's something I need to deal with - I'm not saying there is no job in my industry that has less hours/stress/pressure at the minute, but I haven't found one at my level yet that does.

I wouldn't say I'm a complete perfectionist but when it comes to work issues, I'm pretty bloody close so I want everything done right, every time. I'm also super competitive so if me working extra hours is the difference between me winning and keeping business over my competitors, than I am absolutely going to do it every time. I just don't have it in my make up to walk out the door at 5:30 because that is my official clocking off time when I know something isn't done when it needs to be done, regardless of how or why we got to that point.

I am also very well paid for what I do which helps when putting in the additional hours but it's not the only thing. There are, of course, times when no amount of money will make up for the hours that are required but there is an element of taking the good with the bad.

I don't think I have no life - I see friends and family regularly, I have hobbies, I go to the pub, I eat out, take holidays (admittedly, some are disturbed with calls now and then but I'm not glued to a laptop when off or actively working) Could I do more of these goods things if I worked less? Absolutely I could but again it about getting the right balance.

The amount I work is something I am definitely thinking about more and more over the last few months and I think it is something that will become a bigger part of my overall outlook on life over the next couple of years - it's harder to put the longer hours in, the older you get

Serious answer: i don't know?! Like, its something I genuinely ponder.

I publish far more research than most other academics, hence my current position which is extremely difficult to get. But it objectively doesn't add up to much 'output' - maybe 30,000 printed words a year, and 90 hours of teaching? But the ideas in those 30,000 words seem to be very strong and that's what science values, this development of new ideas. There's one idea I'm hopefully going to get published this year (its quite far along to being accepted in a scientific journal ranked quite prestigiously) on how to value NFTs, that's the first valuation model for NFTs that anyone has come up with. But did I work much on it; a few weeks maybe, and what was all the rest of the time during the year spend on? I don't know.

I developed a new course that will hopefully be approved by the government soon, and will (hopefully again) attract about €400,000 of annual student fee income. I had a 50% share in a successful application to get a new prof (as in, I did half of the work). That prof award is worth about €2million to the uni based on what the government will hand over in funding for the position. So I've paid my way, I've created more value than I've been paid.

But ... it goes in spikes. In September, October, January, I was easily working 70+ hours a week. Right now? Almost nothing.

The NFT study started from a hobby of looking at NFTs. I've now the first three finance publications on the topic. The new course is based on coding, which also started as a hobby. So, where will future ideas come from? Could it be game design. Might there be some meaning there that can be translated into finance, into business? The tweets are handy ways of maintaining some form of national recognition which help a bit with national program applications, like the new course, like the prof funding. Maybe. They also help to develop argumentative style, which is important in convincing academic studies. Here, I get a huge amount from - cop on, interesting ideas (think the NFT idea started here with DP), and sense of connection!

Thanks for the detailed feedback - I probably should have said that I wasn't having a dig, I was genuinely interested as if you were working full time, I'd have no idea how you are fitting it all in - The above makes sense

Comment

I do work more hours than I should and there is several reasons for it and you can argue both sides on the reasons.

I do mostly enjoy my job. The last 16 months have not been as enjoyable but a lot that is outside everyone's control. The effect that Covid has had on my industry is massive and it's not just me or my company - I speak to people right across the industry all the time and we are all pretty much in the same boat (pardon the pun) It's also not likely to change much in the next 6-8 months so that's something I need to deal with - I'm not saying there is no job in my industry that has less hours/stress/pressure at the minute, but I haven't found one at my level yet that does.

I wouldn't say I'm a complete perfectionist but when it comes to work issues, I'm pretty bloody close so I want everything done right, every time. I'm also super competitive so if me working extra hours is the difference between me winning and keeping business over my competitors, than I am absolutely going to do it every time. I just don't have it in my make up to walk out the door at 5:30 because that is my official clocking off time when I know something isn't done when it needs to be done, regardless of how or why we got to that point.

I am also very well paid for what I do which helps when putting in the additional hours but it's not the only thing. There are, of course, times when no amount of money will make up for the hours that are required but there is an element of taking the good with the bad.

I don't think I have no life - I see friends and family regularly, I have hobbies, I go to the pub, I eat out, take holidays (admittedly, some are disturbed with calls now and then but I'm not glued to a laptop when off or actively working) Could I do more of these goods things if I worked less? Absolutely I could but again it about getting the right balance.

The amount I work is something I am definitely thinking about more and more over the last few months and I think it is something that will become a bigger part of my overall outlook on life over the next couple of years - it's harder to put the longer hours in, the older you get

Thanks for the detailed feedback - I probably should have said that I wasn't having a dig, I was genuinely interested as if you were working full time, I'd have no idea how you are fitting it all in - The above makes sense
                                                                    Appreciate the reply. But this just makes it seem like the company is grossly understaffed and the industry as a whole. Workload goes up you hire people, you don't just keep piling the work onto the current staff. Sounds like the industry as a whole are in agreement to work the staff to the bone so they can't go elsewhere as they'll be going into the same culture.

I am the opposite, I'm salaried for 'x' and I'm only working 'x' unless it's my own fault (procrastination/messing something up). I'm in my early 30's and have already had enough of working, just another 30 years to go

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                      GFYKK82..person in front of me in the queue was registering for their vaccine and when asked their appointment time he said 11:00, this was at 10:25, in fairness to him he probably only got around to registering for vax at that time cos there were so many people there.

Just don't understand when it says on the SMS don't turn up early, people still do. I'd imagine thats why it took so long for me to go through the whole process today..
                                                                      I was early for mine (because anticipated traffic didn't materialize) but fully intended to wait in the car until my time. One of the employees/volunteers i met on the way in told me to go in though.

Comment

Appreciate the reply. But this just makes it seem like the company is grossly understaffed and the industry as a whole. Workload goes up you hire people, you don't just keep piling the work onto the current staff. Sounds like the industry as a whole are in agreement to work the staff to the bone so they can't go elsewhere as they'll be going into the same culture.

I am the opposite, I'm salaried for 'x' and I'm only working 'x' unless it's my own fault (procrastination/messing something up). I'm in my early 30's and have already had enough of working, just another 30 years to go
                                                                        Think it is (or at least should be) a give and take thing. I've no problem working a couple hours extra if something urgent comes up or if there is a deadline approaching etc. I think it's probably incumbent on an employee to do so if at all possible, within reason. For this i don't necessarily want anything in return but if I need to take an hour or two some day for personal reasons then i expect to be able to do so without using annual leave. Works fairly well where i am now with my current boss.

If working extra becomes a regular occurrence then i'd expect overtime/time in lieu.

Not every industry is the same and there will be cases where you kinda have to put the hours in. One also has to be cognizant of the way one's refusal to work extra hours could be viewed by peers/management. Not saying it's correct or anything but just that it's the way in works in practice.

Comment

I probably make Hitch look like fastidious, but can get high value stuff done in low amount of time. I've also found that effort vs actual reviews and what people think of you don't line up at all.
                                                                          People have different priorities, I am not working long hours for more money for example, some people will want that and unfortunately some people need that.

I think the 5 out of 7 day work weeks are outdated and we will see a slow shift towards shorter weeks, I think I even posted here that I'd been recently offered a few 4 day work weeks from companies already. Some industries will obviously cling tighter, Lao above for instance, they are happy they get to work people to the bone and that's it, and the nature of the work may need people there more but that should bring about more employees, not more work. For instance, if a company loses an employee and the position is vacant, they will shunt that work onto another employee or several, if that work keeps being done satisfactorily because those people now work harder and have a worse quality of life, the position will often disappear, why bother hiring somebody, these fools will do it anyway.

Comment

We are understaffed, as is the entire industry. I wouldn't say grossly but definitely understaffed. For example, in my department, the hiring of one other person would make the world of difference but it has to be the right person or it would cause more problems.

We've been looking to recruit now in my department for the guts of 3-4 months and the lack of suitable candidates is shocking, absolutely shocking and that is again an industry wide problem.

Despite all the issues around hiring, as a company, we've hired around 20 people in the last year (some areas are easier to get staff) but we have had to pay to do it. Pay rates for people who are between complete noobs to 3/4 years experience have shot up and competition to keep staff is insane.

We had a plan to get into the schools to try set up a feeder system into work for people who want a good career but don't want to go to college but again Covid has put those plans on hold. Hopefully, we can kick start it again later this year/early next.

Comment

Thing about management though, is that they know who the work clock-watchers are and if they think you are one of those then you can say goodbye to any chance of promotions or favours when needed.
                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Thing about management though, is that they know who the work clock-watchers are and if they think you are one of those then you can say goodbye to any chance of promotions or favours when needed.
                                                                                I don't agree with that.

I think the vast majority of clock watchers aren't interested in getting promoted. They are happy to do their 9-5, switch off and go home. They're not interested in taking on the additional responsibilities, pressure and possible workload that may come with the promotion. And that's fine. From an employer point of view, you need to have a varied workforce. You need people who are noobies, people who are steady eddies and people who are chomping at the bit to get to the next level. The hard bit is getting and keeping that balance right.

I have people who work for me that come in, do their 9-5 and go home, but the quality of their work is excellent. I treat them the exact same way as everyone else when it comes to favours, be it coming in late/going early when needed, taking an early/late lunch or whatever it is. You can't treat people different in that regard.

If management are doing that, then the problem is with them, not the staff. You have to have a fair and consistent approach with all staff.

Comment

COVID has been pretty great for my work life balance or at least this year has - last year was a shot show.

I used to need to call people outside of office hours since most people are not overly comfortable taking recruitment calls in earshot of their boss.

With everyone working from home they now prefer to take these calls during the day instead.

Still have a whole weeks worth of admin pulled up at the end of the week tho

Comment

Measuring human work output and productivity in hours is LOLbad.
                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

IPB Open Sweep 2021 Round 1 Update

Some making eagles others hacking in the long grass.
                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I don't agree with that.

I think the vast majority of clock watchers aren't interested in getting promoted. They are happy to do their 9-5, switch off and go home. They're not interested in taking on the additional responsibilities, pressure and possible workload that may come with the promotion. And that's fine. From an employer point of view, you need to have a varied workforce. You need people who are noobies, people who are steady eddies and people who are chomping at the bit to get to the next level. The hard bit is getting and keeping that balance right.

I have people who work for me that come in, do their 9-5 and go home, but the quality of their work is excellent. I treat them the exact same way as everyone else when it comes to favours, be it coming in late/going early when needed, taking an early/late lunch or whatever it is. You can't treat people different in that regard.

If management are doing that, then the problem is with them, not the staff. You have to have a fair and consistent approach with all staff.
                                                                                        think we have a terminology issue here. I agree with what you are saying. But in my mind clock watchers are those that put the minimum effort into work to survive, they are those that just care about the bottom line and that as soon as that clock hit 5, they are gone regardless whether the work is done or not, and that's fine, I know who they are, and can live with that, but no way would they be considered for promotion or special effort would be made on their behalf. Late lunches etc is not really special favours, but you can be damn sure management won't speak up on their behalf if the situation calls for it, whatever that may be.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                          Measuring human work output and productivity in hours is LOLbad.
                                                                                          Not exactly what I am talking about, more about work attitude.

Comment

Expedition Happiness on Netflix. Feel good road trip documentary. Enjoyed the scenery

Comment

If you're not sitting outside on this balmy night, the likes of which we see less than half dozen or so of a year, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Mr Inbetween

SPOILER
                                                                                                Good series overall, didn't love the ending.
                                                                                                I can live with him letting Freddie live and the final scene was well done
                                                                                                but
                                                                                                How the fuck does Ray not have enough cash not to have to live in a caravan and drive a cab FFS! There was enough cash floating around the last few episodes for a decent chunk of the oul lads gym that was perfect for Ray to take over.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Hope you don't mind, but one small correction

If you're not outside having sex on this balmy night, the likes of which we see less than half dozen or so of a year, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Hope you don't mind, but one small correction

Ha! I'd have to pick about three square foot of garden that wasn't overlooked.

Even then it would be a solo effort. You do know I'm married?

Comment

If you're not sitting outside on this balmy night, the likes of which we see less than half dozen or so of a year, you're doing it wrong.
                                                                                                      Thanks Lazare, now I've got two huge insect bites on me leg that are drivin me mental

Edit: Not sex related
                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

~citation needed

Comment

I downloaded one of your NFT papers actually. Yet to read it. How much research/effort/ hours when into that. I find that many studies can summarise quite a lot of work efficiently.

I also think there's a small, but >0% chance that Michael D is a buried in a library somewhere, researching away. Unaware that you've taken to posing as him online for years.

Last edited by DeadParrot; 16-07-21, 09:06.

Comment

ResearchGate is the place to track down any studies fwiw! Academia.edu essentially shut down a decade ago. But has a lot of remnants.

It didn't take long to write that NFT study. That's what I was trying to get at yesterday but on rereading didn't say it well enough. Like that particular study took only a week or two, which is phenomenally short. But I think that's to do with practice and wanting to stamp a mark on the area quickly rather than perfectly.

Comment

Mellor should edit that post to remove identifying material imo. Bad form.

Comment

Mellor should edit that post to remove identifying material imo. Bad form.
                                                                                                                The photo is so old that no-one would recognise him

I do always find that to be an interesting form of vanity. People who put up photos of their much younger selves on company intranets, linked in etc. Not to generalise too much (OK, I will), it tends to be the people that age has not treated too well.

Then you meet them in person and wonder where the youthful glow has gone. And where the extra 6 stone came from.
                                                                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I do always find that to be an interesting form of vanity. People who put up photos of their much younger selves on company intranets, linked in etc. Not to generalise too much (OK, I will), it tends to be the people that age has not treated too well.

Then you meet them in person and wonder where the youthful glow has gone. And where the extra 6 stone came from.
                                                                                                                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'm always amazed by the amount of people who will do a video call using their laptop camera, and leaving the laptop in a position that is comfortable for typing. Nobody want's to see what your ceiling looks like, and that 35o angle is doing nobody any favours.
                                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Hitch has posted who he is 783 times, he probably wants people to know for the twitter clout, but still should be up to him to post anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I'm always amazed by the amount of people who will do a video call using their laptop camera, and leaving the laptop in a position that is comfortable for typing. Nobody want's to see what your ceiling looks like, and that 35o angle is doing nobody any favours.
                                                                                                                        Somebody needs to develop tech that allows you to look at someone's eyes and for the other user to experience you looking at their eyes.

Always find that off putting. I look at the camera so that it appears I'm looking at their eyes, but that's also off putting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                          Hitch has posted who he is 783 times, he probably wants people to know for the twitter clout, but still should be up to him to post anything about it.
                                                                                                                          Yep. I was careful not to make the link when I posted one of his tweets the other day. Was going to say 'this guy made a good point' but figured somebody would assume I didn't know and out him.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X