Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand it from those involved in the industry but it's fucking embarrassing how much Irish people are upset that they can't yet go to a boozer.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

"Pat's Restaurant" opening for indoor dining. Please book in advance to avoid disappointment
      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
        Cashing out the England bet would be burning money at this stage. Practically a bye versus the winner of this and then playing Czechs or the Danes.
        I'm thinking the Danes will take em in the seni so will wait till then .

Comment

The goalscorer is wearing a bra.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
            "Pat's Restaurant" opening for indoor dining. Please book in advance to avoid disappointment
            I might open a pizza/BBQ/baba ganoush restaurant out the back myself. Fed 15 on Sunday and a bunch of 10 y/o's (tough crowd) today.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              I understand it from those involved in the industry but it's fucking embarrassing how much Irish people are upset that they can't yet go to a boozer.
              What's stopping you (not you, people in general) going to the pub? I spent 4 days last week in the pub, stayed in a hotel on Saturday and spent pre and post dinner in the bar, got home Sunday and popped to the pub, just spent the evening in the pub for the Germany game too. Will probably be there another evening this week too.

You need to stop following illogical whingebags. Pubs are open and doing a roaring trade.

Comment

Don't be one of those people who give something up and then go all puritanical.

Ex-smokers are the worst but you're showing strong tendencies here.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  The goalscorer is wearing a bra.
                  GPS vest

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

GPS vest
                    Looks ridiculous. Ronnie Drew never wore of those.

Comment

It's not puritanical to think it's a bit odd that people are bawling crying that they can sit outside but not inside a pub for two weeks.

I think ye guys don't realise how much of a national outlier Ireland is with its focus on pubs being shut as the main horror of covid (and not even shut anymore).

Just about all public health professionals and political parties agree on something, and then on the other hand is publicans. And you think a puritan is a person going 'maybe we shouldn't get health advice from publicans?'?
                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Ah shtop it's the national fucken pastime
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I wonder will the same number of people go back to it. Sitting out on the river banks drinking must be far more fun than sitting in a grimy pub paying a fortune. Like will people really go back to spending €100-150 on a night out after two years of going out to their mates for €20-30 a night - bag o cans and pizza round the park.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                            I wonder will the same number of people go back to it. Sitting out on the river banks drinking must be far more fun than sitting in a grimy pub paying a fortune. Like will people really go back to spending €100-150 on a night out after two years of going out to their mates for €20-30 a night - bag o cans and pizza round the park.
                            Not that many days in the overall year weather wise to sit comfortably on river banks or in parks.

You're only thinking like an old cunt. What if you're young & single. Don't remember picking up the fairer sex drinking a bag of cans.
                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

I think it's a bit off to say it's 'only a pause of two weeks'.

Imho this is going to be - a few weeks to work out whether letting only vaccinated people in is technically feasible or legal (it will likely be neither) then a pause for another couple of weeks whilst they take stock of the failure of that idea. At that stage 'getting the schools re-opened in September' will likely take precedence, and push back indoor hospitality again.
                              I've no particular dog in that fight - I doubt i'd have been in a pub more than once a month pre-lockdown and usually do a disappearing act after a few hours as don't really enjoy it.
                              If I'm biased it's with family who work in theatre, do gigs, acting, writing plays etc. I never got that gene.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the EU digital travel cert thingummyjig.
                              In theory as an EU country we have to sign up for it. In practise I can see us hmming and hawing until the last legal day and rejecting it even then and just paying a nominal fine instead.
                              Can't see any way we are going to be encouraged to be flying to EU countries in August.

Sorry for rant. I think they broke me today.
                              Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 29-06-21, 22:53.

Comment

COViD will likely stay with us for quite a while but we're clearly nearing the end game
                                in terms of the draconian stuff of the last 15 months.

The danger of our health system getting overrun
                                seems to have abated, that curve is flattened.

If they want to slow us down for another fortnight
                                I'll just about go along with that
                                but my unqualified instincts are that things like
                                travel and social gatherings should become possible
                                provided people have been fully vaccinated
                                & recent tests show they're clear of infection.

I believe the government have handled the crisis
                                well overall but that public support is waning.
                                The time has come to book end this episode
                                with a desperately needed holiday
                                and physically engage with other humans.

Comment

I'll never stop reading these posts as if they are sonnets. Catches me every time.

Comment

Take your profit on the sassenachs Willy and let's get back to cheering the opposition.
                                    Let poor aul' Ronnie rest in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                      I'll never stop reading these posts as if they are sonnets. Catches me every time.
                                      Poetry in motion, that's me. ;-)

Comment

Daughter arrived home from the USA yesterday.
                                        She's in isolation from her friends for a fortnight so we'll have her to ourselves for a while.
                                        Bliss for us ..... Pray for her.

The dogs reaction to her return is extraordinary.
                                        You'd think we ceased to exist,
                                        follows her around and can't get enough tickles.

Comment

Was expecting this.

Have been inside a pub maybe a dozen times over the last five years.

Had three pub pints in 2020, and prob less than 20 in 2019.

They're mostly grim kips.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                            . Don't remember picking up the fairer sex drinking a bag of cans.
                                            Use of the likes of Tinder has exploded during covid, so that's that problem sorted!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                              I think it's a bit off to say it's 'only a pause of two weeks'.

Imho this is going to be - a few weeks to work out whether letting only vaccinated people in is technically feasible or legal (it will likely be neither) then a pause for another couple of weeks whilst they take stock of the failure of that idea. At that stage 'getting the schools re-opened in September' will likely take precedence, and push back indoor hospitality again.
                                              I've no particular dog in that fight - I doubt i'd have been in a pub more than once a month pre-lockdown and usually do a disappearing act after a few hours as don't really enjoy it.
                                              If I'm biased it's with family who work in theatre, do gigs, acting, writing plays etc. I never got that gene.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the EU digital travel cert thingummyjig.
                                              In theory as an EU country we have to sign up for it. In practise I can see us hmming and hawing until the last legal day and rejecting it even then and just paying a nominal fine instead.
                                              Can't see any way we are going to be encouraged to be flying to EU countries in August.

Sorry for rant. I think they broke me today.
                                              This is all spot on, unfortunately. Can't imagine we are getting away on holidays in August which is going to be a tragedy with the kids who don't realise the privilege of holidaying.

Comment

Was expecting this.

Have been inside a pub maybe a dozen times over the last five years.

Had three pub pints in 2020, and prob less than 20 in 2019.

They're mostly grim kips.
                                                Pubs are great spots, GFYL.

While i think the "only vaccied people allowed in" is a redic statement surely also the "we'll sue on discrimination" counterpoint also is.

If not Im going to be a millionaire with my back case portfolio from the "Not tonight Bud" crowd

Comment

Working in pubs on and off since I'm 14 has coloured my views of them.

You need to be sober inside one often enough to understand the grimness.

Comment

I love pubs . It's the best kind of grimness. If it weren't for pubs men would never have a wee chat like the wimmins
                                                    The trick is not to go in every night .

5 pints of Grimness mr Bartender please. Er I mean Guinness.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Again the long lockdowns were definitely the right choice up until now or a month or 2 ago but I’m not so sure we need to be so cautious now. whatever about indoor drinking surely indoor dinning is fairly safe.
                                                      I read this on my way down to get tested for covid, I literally have gone for one meal and somebody there tested positive haha. Nice juxtaposition for my nasal rape.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                        Take your profit on the sassenachs Willy and let's get back to cheering the opposition.
                                                        Let poor aul' Ronnie rest in peace.
                                                        The Spirit of Ronnie visited me last night. He has been walking the streets in shock at the pubs being closed and his followers getting lost. I assured him a cash out was imminent. We sang da monto together and he left. I spoke of Lazare and his hatred of pubs and the langeroo folk inside. Gudjaysus and then he left.

Comment

Youre not doing it right!

Comment

Isnt it just upset about general lack of progress v countries with similar populations and vaccine stats? I mean we can go to the pub now and the weather is great for the outdoor thing, i dont think its the pub that is bothering many at the moment.
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

This gem from the high court in Belfast as they are throwing out the challenge to the NI Protocol

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Isnt it just upset about general lack of progress v countries with similar populations and vaccine stats? I mean we can go to the pub now and the weather is great for the outdoor thing, i dont think its the pub that is bothering many at the moment.
                                                                Its lovely out there though, all that outdoor dining and drinking and nearly everywhere open. I wonder why we're going around being upset over a small bit being missed. It doesn't seem a great mindset compared to one of: this is lovely now, and in a few weeks time it will be perfect.

Comment

Its lovely out there though, all that outdoor dining and drinking and nearly everywhere open. I wonder why we're going around being upset over a small bit being missed. It doesn't seem a great mindset compared to one of: this is lovely now, and in a few weeks time it will be perfect.
                                                                  Yeah and youre right, its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, think we just feel like we are getting harsher treatment that our neighbours as far as life's pleasures all the way through, and this was another sign of it. We will get over it pretty quick when theres something new to give out about. Would still disagree with a vaccine pass for hospitality though.
                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Yeah and youre right, its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, think we just feel like we are getting harsher treatment that our neighbours as far as life's pleasures all the way through, and this was another sign of it. We will get over it pretty quick when theres something new to give out about. Would still disagree with a vaccine pass for hospitality though.
                                                                    Sure, but again look at the numbers in Scotland since they opened up pubs, we have a free shot at sitting back and observing just how that turns out in a very similar society with a similar vaccination rollout.

Comment

My cooking course has me making a salade lyonnaise at the moment and for that I need frissee lettuce. Dunnes doesn't seem to have it. Has anyone ever seen it in a shop?

On a side-note, as we are doing the salad section of the course, I got a bit carried away with selecting a balsamic vinegar and spent a whopping €22.50 on a tiny bottle. Its like a different level of flavour.

Comment

My cooking course has me making a salade lyonnaise at the moment and for that I need frissee lettuce. Dunnes doesn't seem to have it. Has anyone ever seen it in a shop?

On a side-note, as we are doing the salad section of the course, I got a bit carried away with selecting a balsamic vinegar and spent a whopping €22.50 on a tiny bottle. Its like a different level of flavour.
                                                                        Its often in those mixed bags but i cant say ive seen it sold fresh as a head of lettuce in any supermarket
                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

nothing quite like opening a pub of a sunday morning and the stench of stale beer and shite.
                                                                          Granted, the smoke covered a lot of it, I can only imagine what it's like now
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

marks and sparks would be the first port of call for me
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Sure, but again look at the numbers in Scotland since they opened up pubs, we have a free shot at sitting back and observing just how that turns out in a very similar society with a similar vaccination rollout.
                                                                              Dunno if we're looking at different numbers. I see cases rising but hospitalisations and deaths completely flatlined. Looks to me like the vaccines are working perfectly.
                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Glad I wasn't in a pub last night, youngest child has forced me onto every ride in Tayto Park. Some cross-section of humanity here today.

Comment

Slightly restoring the faith is the fact that all five of the kids I brought have nominated 'Lemur Woods' as their favourite attraction. Which is, as the name suggests, is a place where you walk around with lemurs. And they try to eat your shoelaces.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Dunno if we're looking at different numbers. I see cases rising but hospitalisations and deaths completely flatlined. Looks to me like the vaccines are working perfectly.
                                                                                    You need 2-3 weeks to see cases reflected in ICU and 4 -6 for deaths.

There are varied estimates on exactly how effective the various vaccines are when fully delivered against delta, we know for sure it is less than alpha but its not yet clear how that will be reflected in hospitalisation's, ICU admissions and deaths.
                                                                                    Whatever those numbers turn out to be it is there is a hell of a difference between the outcomes of for instance a vaccine 90% effective at preventing any infection when delta is raging through a population where 45% are fully vaccinated and one where you have a 95% effectiveness in a 75% vaccinated population. Obv that kind of uncertainty in the numbers leaves you with the kind of range nephet came up with yesterday, my expectation is that all those numbers will be very much clearer in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

marks and sparks would be the first port of call for me
                                                                                      Actually that sounds precisely like the poncy thing that M&S was invented for

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

You need 2-3 weeks to see cases reflected in ICU and 4 -6 for deaths.

There are varied estimates on exactly how effective the various vaccines are when fully delivered against delta, we know for sure it is less than alpha but its not yet clear how that will be reflected in hospitalisation's, ICU admissions and deaths.
                                                                                        Whatever those numbers turn out to be it is there is a hell of a difference between the outcomes of for instance a vaccine 90% effective at preventing any infection when delta is raging through a population where 45% are fully vaccinated and one where you have a 95% effectiveness in a 75% vaccinated population. Obv that kind of uncertainty in the numbers leaves you with the kind of range nephet came up with yesterday, my expectation is that all those numbers will be very much clearer in a couple of weeks.
                                                                                        Pubs have been open there since 26th April. Delta variant has been flying around for weeks. Still no increase in severe cases. The vaccines appear to have broken the relationship between cases and hospitalisations and deaths. NPHET are being overly cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                          COViD will likely stay with us for quite a while but we're clearly nearing the end game
                                                                                          in terms of the draconian stuff of the last 15 months.

The danger of our health system getting overrun
                                                                                          seems to have abated, that curve is flattened.

If they want to slow us down for another fortnight
                                                                                          I'll just about go along with that
                                                                                          but my unqualified instincts are that things like
                                                                                          travel and social gatherings should become possible
                                                                                          provided people have been fully vaccinated
                                                                                          & recent tests show they're clear of infection.

I believe the government have handled the crisis
                                                                                          well overall but that public support is waning.
                                                                                          The time has come to book end this episode
                                                                                          with a desperately needed holiday
                                                                                          and physically engage with other humans.
                                                                                          Two weeks ago marked the end of secondary school here in Spain with the traditional end of year trip to mallorca for the seniors.

1000 direct positives, more than 5000 close contacts in isolation

49 positives out of 86 students returning on one plane in one community

every community has seen positives rise since students started returning home

in our community we’ve gone from <100 cases a day to >600 and similar things are happening everywhere. Almost 10k cases in Spain yesterday after numbers had dropped way off

cases in the <25 age group have now risen to 293/100k while the overall incidence rate is now at 117/100k

portugal had over 2k cases yesterday which is a direct follow-on of the euro 2020 games in lisbon.

they removed the requirement to wear masks outdoors at the weekend, I can see it being reinstated pretty quickly.
                                                                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Pubs have been open there since 26th April. Delta variant has been flying around for weeks. Still no increase in severe cases. The vaccines appear to have broken the relationship between cases and hospitalisations and deaths. NPHET are being overly cautious.
                                                                                            Hopefully that continues, with the lack of hospitalisations! I guess you see some rationale, albeit that its overly cautious, for why they might be trying to slow things down? Its definitely overly cautious, but maybe thats okay.

Comment

France August holiday is a maximum of a 70% shot now. Could plummet in the next few weeks depending on this delta fecker. Strangely, the lucky so and sos who booked anything for July 19th on the dot are close to certain to fly.

Comment

Heading up to Portrush next week for some golf, indoor dining and public house drinking.
                                                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                  Heading up to Portrush next week for some golf, indoor dining and public house drinking.
                                                                                                  Delay by a week and you can admire the marching bands on the Twelfth

Comment

Took a lot longer than it should have to figure out where the water was leaking from in my washing machine. At least I now know how to replace the drain motor if it ever fails

IMG_20210630_170231_2.jpg
                                                                                                    Attached Files
                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                      Used to be the worst time of the year to frequent that part of the country (The Port, Bushmills, Coleraine etc...) what with the bands, flegs, louts, kerb painting, RUC and army (and sometimes worse) round every corner.

I'm sure it's all GAA jerseys and free state number plates these days though

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Used to be the worst time of the year to frequent that part of the country (The Port, Bushmills, Coleraine etc...) what with the bands, flegs, louts, kerb painting, RUC and army (and sometimes worse) round every corner.

Ive been up there a lot and never had any trouble. (In fairness don’t think we were ever there on the 12th)
                                                                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

pray4bows

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Just got this gift today so this:

lVgNShNm.jpg

I asked what my followers like to eat and will share some screenshots of that an what my friend has been eating for dinner this week too
                                                                                                            Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

I think in general you can veggie up the meals you usually eat with alternatives or just cook new things and see what you like, make curries, burritos, bolognaise, soups, roast stuff potatoes/veg, lasagne, pizza, whatever. It shouldn't need to be too different, just using a few different ingredients like beans,lentils, buts, fake meat things like that. It's not a big deal if you slip up or whatever, just try to find some veggie meals you like and start adding to it as you go along.

For breakfast I have smoothies (I'm sponsored by myprotein now so use a lot of protein powder and that craic, in smoothies or pancakes etc), porridge (with things on top like seeds, peanut butter, berries), granola with yogurt and toppings, scrambled tofu, avocado toast, or straight up have a regular lunch kinda meal. For lunch and dinner it could be anything tbh.
                                                                                                            How did you get the freebie protein, must have a sizable following to stand out. I think I post too much booze to swing any sponsorships
                                                                                                            Have you posted your IG name here? Apologies if I missed it. I've recent started doing one day a week vegetarian (today in fact) so always keen for ideas.

Comment

Saw an 840I BMW on the M50, 212 D 8 reg.

10am on July 1st.

Obv just rolled off the forecourt.

Some dude really happy with his shiny new beast. Some car.

Comment

Stand down the search dogs, have found frissee.

Keep thinking today is the start of the weekend. Not actually sure why I'm pretending to work at all really.

Comment

Saw an 840I BMW on the M50, 212 D 8 reg.

10am on July 1st.

Obv just rolled off the forecourt.

Some dude really happy with his shiny new beast. Some car.
                                                                                                                  Wow looks great. Don't they retail for like EUR 100k?
                                                                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Stand down the search dogs, have found frissee.

Keep thinking today is the start of the weekend. Not actually sure why I'm pretending to work at all really.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

How did you get the freebie protein, must have a sizable following to stand out. I think I post too much booze to swing any sponsorships
                                                                                                                      Have you posted your IG name here? Apologies if I missed it. I've recent started doing one day a week vegetarian (today in fact) so always keen for ideas.
                                                                                                                      They contacted us as they are expanding into veganism a lot, so we get that stuff, myvegan, for free (more than I can use tbh) and make commission on sales. We aren't that big at all but our followers would be very narrow (as in you will definitely sell more/get more followers through us than through a huge but less focused account). Not sure our instagram (veganlife.ie) would suit somebody not in Ireland as it is just about products/food here (usually not healthy products of course), though we answer any questions sent to us and my partner has been posting her dinners recently. You're probably more after a recipe account like avantgardevegan or something simpler.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 01-07-21, 12:51.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Four of my mates headed up to Portrush about 20 years ago and were initially a bit nervous about it but when they got there it was grand. Great craic out in the pubs and no problems at until the end of the night.

They were in a chipper getting food and 3 of the lads had got their food and were waiting outside, while 1 lad was still inside when a few lads started to call him a Fenian prick and other lovely terms. He didn't want any hassle so ignored it and left once his food was ready and the four lads started to head back to their B&B.

One local lad follows them out of the chipper and is walking a bit behind them, hurling abuse at them , every possible derogatory term you could think of. All the lads decided just to ignore until one of them said, fuck this, turns to the local lad and says

'What the difference between an apple and an orange?'

The local lad hadn't got a clue and just shrugged his shoulders and so my mate roared at him 'Have ya ever heard of an apple bastard?'

All my mates cracked up laughing and the local lad backed off and let them be. A few minutes later, the loads looked around to see about 20-30 people running at them all armed with some form of sticks/golf clubs/base ball bats, etc. They just about made it into the B&B before they caught them and were shitting themselves as they thought they were going to kick the door in.

The next morning, they woke up and all the lads were still sitting across the road waiting for them. They were due to head home anyway but they had to get the B&B to call a taxi and sneak them out the back to the bus stop which was less than a two minute walk away

Fun times!

Comment

I highly appreciate the "this seems dangerous, but I'm not leaving without my chips" mindset.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X