This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

isn't she the one who cheated at the marathon (or a charity 10km) also, and just popped out of a house, all made up looking fresh, with 1km to go?
    Solid play tbf
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Today is international Toast day. (True story bro)

I dedicate it to Donald . They got his taxes .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Ha no way ? Legend . A real life wacky races .
        Former Miss World Rosanna Davison has denied claims that she cheated in the Flora Women’s Mini Marathon on Monday.

Comment

I laughed at 'pulling a fast one '

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
            Good tomatoes are super ultra mega important. San Marzano tomatoes have virtually no acidity and are the gold standard for Neapolitan style pizzas. Next time you see the cans in Dunnes/Tesco just fill your boots. They don't need much seasoning or prep at all. A can would easily do 8x 10 inch pizzas.
            San Marzano, you say... they don't look much now but come back to me in August

Actually grew a couple of plants of them last year and they were only moderately successful not great croppers and a bit on the dry side but I'm sure it was a mixture of poor weather and worse husbandry, hopefully will do better with them this time.

8xDLDQ7.jpg

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

What are good fresh tomatoes to buy here? I can eat them like an apple in Spain but can't stand the ones I buy in Ireland.

Comment

I see Joe Biden has decided to destroy women’s sport in the U.S

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                  I recall the conversation here at the time around Caster Semenya's ruling.

A couple of us mentioned that the ruling clearly had an eye on how transgender athletes would be included in the future.

It will be interesting because something will occur where a transgender athlete wins something at the Olympic level by a huge margin

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                    What are good fresh tomatoes to buy here? I can eat them like an apple in Spain but can't stand the ones I buy in Ireland.
                    You got to wait until July for the really good stuff to start appearing.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                      Decent progress from the last lad who wanted to destroy women.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

A couple of us mentioned that the ruling clearly had an eye on how transgender athletes would be included in the future.

It will be interesting because something will occur where a transgender athlete wins something at the Olympic level by a huge margin
                        Boxing ring!

Comment

I see some female athletes are coming out against Biden on this

Their point of recourse is to campaign for the end of Women's sport and everyone to play on the same field

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

isn't she the one who cheated at the marathon (or a charity 10km) also, and just popped out of a house, all made up looking fresh, with 1km to go?
                            That was for the Women's Mini-Marathon.
                            Some publicist wore her number at the start so that she would register as starting.
                            Rosanna took umbrage at being called out for claiming a time most club athletes would aspire to.

Comment

Obligatory South Park clip... Simpsons who?

Comment

I wish I could pick lotto numbers like social / political hot topics

Last edited by DeadParrot; 25-02-21, 20:37.
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

There's something wrong with the state of Irish tomatoes. Like they're obviously not importing the right ones. And there's barely any (what are known as, but not grown in) Crimean tomatoes which is strange as they are the king of tomatoes. I think maybe also known as beef tomatoes?
                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Payoff to the South Park bit above is kinda required

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

00 flour they have good stuff at €1 a bag in tesco and top quality ingredients (will be ordering some fresh salami soon and will drop some off when I can seeing as how I missed you at Christmas).
                                      Look out for Sheridan's selling off the good mozzarella and buratta's cheap as they often do as they approach sell by date... they are perfect for weeks afterwards as long as they stay sealed
                                      Mutti pizza sauce or just their chopped tomatoes are actually plenty good enough for most occasions, keeping the sauce simple is better than making an elaborate sauce IMO.
                                      Overall the KISS approach is best - fewer better ingredients.

I still enjoy the zen of kneading but I am also thinking of buying a Stand mixer, there is a 1000W Kenwood one for 299 but I'm stuck trying to decide if I should go to 419 for the kenwood chef which is the same spec but I can add attachments to and get more use out of.
                                      Excellent (and don't worry about the Strewelpeter Super-Salami, I'm sure I will find a way to win it off you next Christmas).

I decided to be a wanker and buy the branded peel and turning peel.

Will definitely go with the less is more approach until I work out WTF I am doing with this yoke. Some of the more epicurean recipes on the site do look amazing though. We have a Kenwood Chef but the kids seem to have fucked it so that it only goes at high speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

There's something wrong with the state of Irish tomatoes. Like they're obviously not importing the right ones. And there's barely any (what are known as, but not grown in) Crimean tomatoes which is strange as they are the king of tomatoes. I think maybe also known as beef tomatoes?
                                        Ah yes, that would be the sun Ted. As in 'the lack of'.

Same reason we don't make wine.

Comment

Remember hearing years ago that loads of them come from the Dutch tomato, bred for mass consumption and full of water weight?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Same reason we don't make wine.
                                            I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the Atlantic West of Brittany was neither very receptive to growing tomatoes - but in fact what did they, and I thought this was a smart move, was they bought them from another place that had sunshine. So I was more getting at, given we buy tomatoes, why don't we buy the good tomatoes like the Rennais.

Comment

And indeed your wine analogy works perfect here. While we don't make wine, we do sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

Remember hearing years ago that loads of them come from the Dutch tomato, bred for mass consumption and full of water weight?
                                                Don't know. The flavours are notably present.

Comment

These are a Russian variety called Krim that I love growing, they are supposed to grow well here but I can only get about half a dozen to ripen per plant, usually a couple of massive ones, more than double the size of the one in this pic, and a few more smaller ones like this then there are plenty of unripened fruits left at the end of the season which I can fry or make chutney with. Compared to one of the really productive varieties they seem like a waste of time but they are completely worth all the effort for the great eating from one.
                                                  I'll probably give half of all the Tomato space I have to them this year.

CiHgfKT.jpg

Comment

LED lighting is transforming and probably improving quality of not just Tomatoes but all manner of horticulture.

Comment

Bit of a blow for tax haven Ireland in the EU today. Voting against this basic tax transparency measures makes one feel so dirty and yet.......
                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

The blue bananas are meant t be like icecream, gotta be bs. Though freezing and thawing a banana can make something very similar to an icecream, can't imagine one bieng like it off the bat.

Agree Hitch, tomatoes are always terrible here.

Comment

I would not thank you for a Pizza . Much like the Godfather, it insists upon itself. I would especially not thank you for a goodfellows Pizza . I have had pizza in various parts of Italy , I find its popularity as a food to be overated in the extreme
                                                          My wife buys me pizza as a treat and I sigh heavily. I think its retribution for closing my ears when she talks shop .
                                                          As for noodles..fk you noodles.
                                                          You're mad Ted!

Pizza is one if the greatest things ever.

Comment

LED lighting is transforming and probably improving quality of not just Tomatoes but all manner of horticulture.
                                                            This is true. Mate of mine used to grow some absolutely savage weed plants in the wardrobe in his spare room using high quality industrial LED lights.

Some great nights getting baked on his home grown gear.

Comment

These are a Russian variety called Krim that I love growing, they are supposed to grow well here but I can only get about half a dozen to ripen per plant, usually a couple of massive ones, more than double the size of the one in this pic, and a few more smaller ones like this then there are plenty of unripened fruits left at the end of the season which I can fry or make chutney with. Compared to one of the really productive varieties they seem like a waste of time but they are completely worth all the effort for the great eating from one.
                                                              I'll probably give half of all the Tomato space I have to them this year.

CiHgfKT.jpg
                                                              Comrade!

The motherland appreciates you recognising krim (for crimea) as a Russian variety. Tonight we march in joy on Sevastpol.

They were the main ones we ate in France outside the summer season when you get the lovely southern French varieties. Can't seem to see them here at all.

Comment

Those tomato and mozza sandwiches look so class right now!

Comment

Comrade!

The motherland appreciates you recognising krim (for crimea) as a Russian variety. Tonight we march in joy on Sevastpol.

They were the main ones we ate in France outside the summer season when you get the lovely southern French varieties. Can't seem to see them here at all.
                                                                  LOL far be it from me to try and stir shit but I see that Comrade Navalnay has been dropped by Amnesty from their prisoner of conscience list because of his being something of a racist.

Comment

If I had the choice, I'd eat plantains over bananas any day but they never seem to be available in Ireland. Possibly in the African food shops in town?

Comment

Strewelpeter what size or sort of greenhouse have you got?

Comment

If I had the choice, I'd eat plantains over bananas any day but they never seem to be available in Ireland. Possibly in the African food shops in town?
                                                                        I've gotten them in Asian food stores quite easily. Definitely seen them sold on Moore St before also.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post

I've gotten them in Asian food stores quite easily. Definitely seen them sold on Moore St before also.
                                                                          Speaking of bananas, you could win many of them simply by playing the IPB Cheltenham Tipping Comp. There's already €900 in the pot and more en route.

According to my sauces, that could buy you about 0.9 metric tons of bananas. Enough to keep even the most devoted banana worshipper satiated.

Comment

LOL far be it from me to try and stir shit but I see that Comrade Navalnay has been dropped by Amnesty from their prisoner of conscience list because of his being something of a racist.
                                                                            There's a good letter to the IT about that.

The Guardian article also makes it clear that there is a co-ordinated campaign (gosh, I wonder by who) to discredit him for his past statements. Classic 'look, over there!' stuff and the spotlight gets taken off Putin. And it's working.

But w/e. I think everyone's waiting to see how Biden plays on this pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                              Strewelpeter what size or sort of greenhouse have you got?
                                                                              Its a polytunnel c. 3M * 8M
                                                                              Got it from https://polytunnelsdirect.ie and it only cost about a grand installed, great value.

Turns out I could have fitted in another 2M length and when it comes time to replace the plastic I will probably extend it unless I find enough space to build a second one.

Last year I did a really cool thing of putting in a compost hotbed to generate heat for early seeds - that's a 1.5 ^3M box of fresh manure that gives off heat as it decomposes. Worked great until about April when I needed to turn it to get the heat back to the top but by that time I didn't have space to move. Was a great idea but too much like hard work so this year I brought electricity in and built a hotbed. Its like an electric blanket embedded in wet sand and works a treat.

Anyway, you don't need any of that to get great value out of a polytunnel, its all about making growing easy and extending the season.

Here's a few pics of my rough as fck setup
                                                                              SPOILER

Comment

But w/e. I think everyone's waiting to see how Biden plays on this pitch.
                                                                                I think its fairly clear how an 80-year-old dude who grew up on James Bond movies is going to play this one.

Comment

In my first travel across town today since before Christmas, it seems notable quite how empty everything is when construction shuts down. Like there's just absolutely nothing happening in the centre. Even the Costas shut and they are like the cockroaches of the retail world.

Comment

I think its fairly clear how an 80-year-old dude who grew up on James Bond movies is going to play this one.
                                                                                    SO....AAAAHHH, I know we have gone over the whole you and maths thing on here before but this title of expert in personal finance the Independent gave you recently?

Does being able to count not come into this?

Joe Biden...78
                                                                                    First Bond movie... Dr No 1962

Joe would have been...?

Comment

Watching Briarpatch at the moment. Not particularly well-rated and got cancelled after the first season, but seems a pity as there some fairly obvious strokes of excellence to it. The filming style is glorious, a bit like Better Call Saul in parts. Its got some problems, but you'd imagine with a second season those could have been ironed out.

Comment

SO....AAAAHHH, I know we have gone over the whole you and maths thing on here before but this title of expert in personal finance the Independent gave you recently?

Does being able to count not come into this?

Joe Biden...78
                                                                                        First Bond movie... Dr No 1962

Joe would have been...?
                                                                                        At what age do you feel people stop growing? Is it reach 18 and done? I'd imagine a lot of us did our major maturing in uni, in our twenties and thirties. A bit in our forties. Who knows maybe our fifties and sixties will be big decades too. You never stop growing if you don't want to elshambo, you just need to believe you can grow.

Comment

At what age do you feel people stop growing? Is it reach 18 and done? I'd imagine a lot of us did our major maturing in uni, in our twenties and thirties. A bit in our forties. Who knows maybe our fifties and sixties will be big decades too. You never stop growing if you don't want to elshambo, you just need to believe you can grow.
                                                                                          What part did movies about a rapist spy, who announces himself as a spy to the bad guy as soon as plot possible, play in your process of maturing later in life ?

Comment

What part did movies about a rapist spy, who announces himself as a spy to the bad guy as soon as plot possible, play in your process of maturing later in life ?
                                                                                            I don't know, I'm just spitballing here!

However any modern leader should focus on the challenges of tomorrow in Asia and Africa, but the challenges of yesterday. Although I'm sure China and India would love Biden to be distracted by Russia. Its only a $6 trillion dollar difference now ($15tn vs $21tn) between the US and China and the US should be devoting every second of their time coming up with smart* plans to handle this new economic reality of the US being less than a decade away from being a second rate economic power.

* smart, as in actually smart and mutually productive. Not stupid plans like economic blocades where everyone loses.

Comment

BLOBs are becoming the bane of my life. I did make a Mr Blobby joke on a call earlier that fell flat. How do people from India not recognise the unique cultural figure that is Noel Edmonds!

Comment

The blue bananas are meant t be like icecream, gotta be bs. Though freezing and thawing a banana can make something very similar to an icecream, can't imagine one bieng like it off the bat..
                                                                                                I've looked into this in the past more extensively than is reasonable. The idea of a blue banana that tasted like vanilla ice cream would make up for a lot of the bad things in the world. Pretty sure I've posted on here about it. Anyhoos, having watched various video reviews of people eating their first one it doesn't appear to really taste like vanilla ice cream, but all agree it's very tasty.

The bananas we know (99% of exported bananas are the Cavendish) may become extinct soon as they are being attacked by Panama disease which it was once resistant to. And given that they're sterile they cannot evolve their way out of it.

I think I should do a monthly Banana Watch segment.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I've looked into this in the past more extensively than is reasonable. The idea of a blue banana that tasted like vanilla ice cream would make up for a lot of the bad things in the world. Pretty sure I've posted on here about it. Anyhoos, having watched various video reviews of people eating their first one it doesn't appear to really taste like vanilla ice cream, but all agree it's very tasty.

The bananas we know (99% of exported bananas are the Cavendish) may become extinct soon as they are being attacked by Panama disease which it was once resistant to. And given that they're sterile they cannot evolve their way out of it.

I think I should do a monthly Banana Watch segment.
                                                                                                  I remember driving through banana plantations in Northern Arsetralia and all the tree trunks were covered with what looked like tinfoil. Presumably to deter some class of scavengers but can't work out what.

Comment

HR have asked me to do an inter country Jerusalem dance off. I responded 'only if I can do it Naked ' . An excellent tactic as I'm off the team. Phewww.

Comment

HR have asked me to do an inter country Jerusalem dance off. I responded 'only if I can do it Naked ' . An excellent tactic as I'm off the team. Phewww.
                                                                                                      How awful. Organizations tripping over themselves trying to give off a Lego movie style "everything is awesome" when you work for us cringe vibe.

Fcuking guards out dancing around the country must be leaving some unsupported crime victims with a bad taste in their mouth. Sorry sergeant, the drone didn't get that last take. Reset and do it again. Five hours later. Double time OT.

John Player Tops will be back next.

</rant>
                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

This Ruby Roman grape video is still one of my fav fruit-related videos. That fruit shop looks divine!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                          Fcuking guards out dancing around the country must be leaving some unsupported crime victims with a bad taste in their mouth.
                                                                                                          You're making a play for PSV's crown aren't you? You've been slowly consolidating your position recently, and hoping to take advantage of the fact that he's probably blocked by half the people here.

Comment

Strewelpeter do I recall you having bees? I was watching that show The Missing and the lead has become a bee hobbyist in his spare time but he can't get them to produce honey. I thought of you watching it and was wondering if I was getting confused.

I know someone else on here has them but don't want to tag as I'm not 100% sure. Anyway I've since checked and it does seem like a pretty hard thing to get right.

Comment

Strewelpeter do I recall you having bees? I was watching that show The Missing and the lead has become a bee hobbyist in his spare time but he can't get them to produce honey. I thought of you watching it and was wondering if I was getting confused.

I know someone else on here has them but don't want to tag as I'm not 100% sure. Anyway I've since checked and it does seem like a pretty hard thing to get right.
                                                                                                              brianmc is the bee man.
                                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

My sister has bee hives on a huge farm, they don't take the honey, let them have the craic with it.

Comment

Forgive how silly this question is, but can you buy lottery tickets with debit cards? Have an inkling that tonight is my night to win the €210m on the euromillions, but vaguely remember overhearing someone trying to buy scratch cards (maybe not the same thing) with a card the other day and being turned down as its cash only. But wasn't fully listening to the conversation.

Comment

My sister has bee hives on a huge farm, they don't take the honey, let them have the craic with it.
                                                                                                                    Did you ever see that bee documentary, Honeyland? It was a big enough feature of that about always leaving the bees enough honey.

Comment

Forgive how silly this question is, but can you buy lottery tickets with debit cards? Have an inkling that tonight is my night to win the €210m on the euromillions, but vaguely remember overhearing someone trying to buy scratch cards (maybe not the same thing) with a card the other day and being turned down as its cash only. But wasn't fully listening to the conversation.
                                                                                                                      You can do the lotto online with a debit card. They stopped accepting credit cards recently.
                                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

brianmc is the bee man.
                                                                                                                        That's who I thought it was but wasn't sure as plenty of @Brians

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
                                                                                                                        Forgive how silly this question is, but can you buy lottery tickets with debit cards?
                                                                                                                        Yeah just on www.lottery.ie, I only ever do ridiculous sized Euromillion draws on it, might need ID though.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X