This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    All these backlogged German cases are making it very hard to see if things are improving. I suppose the 600 odd cases today on top of the 12,000 puts us at 5% case growth rate which is heading in the right direction. Probably that most of those tests were done many days ago too. Seems hospital admission, ICU admission, and deaths are the more reliable indicators now. My poor graphs are useless!
    Below describes it well. Hospital trends most reliable especially with massive scale up on tests which is impressive given the standing start we had. Adds to the toolkit to fight this longer term.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
      No such thing as a caretaker government. They are the government. The point has zero merit.
      Yes the govt are sworn in etc and that doesn’t change. But it was the limited nature of the debate in a under resourced Dail I was wondering about. The nature of some of the stuff including the COVID emergency payment has been very sloppy so it doesn’t fill me with confidence as a lay citizen looking in from the outside BUT I certainly hope you’re right. The fact that they are representing themselves is probably a good sign...
      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
        Have you source for that?

I was actually surprised of their daily deaths reported today, thought it would be higher due to the known delay of weekend reporting and spike when it clears.
        It’s actually probably worse than that as there are less work place and traffic accidents one imagines...
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Project for the wine buffs

Her sky-ness
          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
            Wife showed me that last night. If I'd a bigger gaf I'd definitely build a cellar. Prob would have to fill it with 120 though.

Really looking forward to getting back to work. Didn't think I'd miss the research as much as I do. Things have gotten so desperate that I'm growing basil under a SAD light. Resorting to biology is the pit of despair.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
              Yes the govt are sworn in etc and that doesn’t change. But it was the limited nature of the debate in a under resourced Dail I was wondering about. The nature of some of the stuff including the COVID emergency payment has been very sloppy so it doesn’t fill me with confidence as a lay citizen looking in from the outside BUT I certainly hope you’re right. The fact that they are representing themselves is probably a good sign...
              The elected members of the current Dail Eireann voted for the legislation. The constitution provides for a previous Seanad to vote with a current Dail prior to the election of the new Seanad.

The Courts cannot, under any circumstances, pronounce upon or consider what happens in the Dail chamber. That is entirely a matter for the legislature. The legislature is answerable to the electorate only. It's just not judicially cognisable. So how quickly the legislation was passed (which is, again, provided for in the constitution itself) or how many people voted for it, etc. does not matter.
              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The elected members of the current Dail Eireann voted for the legislation. The constitution provides for a previous Seanad to vote with a current Dail prior to the election of the new Seanad.

The Courts cannot, under any circumstances, pronounce upon or consider what happens in the Dail chamber. That is entirely a matter for the legislature. The legislature is answerable to the electorate only. It's just not judicially cognisable. So how quickly the legislation was passed (which is, again, provided for in the constitution itself) or how many people voted for it, etc. does not matter.
                any thoughts on yesterdays wind farm settlement?
                Seems a strong precedent for future claims
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                  any thoughts on yesterdays wind farm settlement?
                  Seems a strong precedent for future claims
                  I literally know nothing about it. What happened?
                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I literally know nothing about it. What happened?
                    Three children who allegedly became ill and had to move out of their family home as a result of disturbance from a nearby wind farm have secured a total €225,000 as settlement of their High Court damages claims.

Three children who allegedly became ill and had to move out of their family home as a result of disturbance from a nearby wind farm have secured a total €225,000 as settlement of their High Court damages claims.

The settlements were made to Laura (15), David (17) and Jack (10) Kelleher, without admission of liability.
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

auto insurance 80% uk market/ 20% Irish
                      US car insurance companies offering refunds because people aren't using cars during lock-down. Any chance of giving a little back here DP?
                      Last edited by Wombatman; 15-04-20, 20:12.
                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        For Google Drive the big purchase reason is to store photos in their original format rather than the condensed web format. Makes a big difference imo in terms of future proofing photo quality.

For Dropbox Premium the big reason is the syncing capacity - as you can keep some files in the cloud without also having them on the laptop.
                        Dropbox premium is a crock of shite

I got fckd over badly last week by coding from a document that wasn't being updated properly from Dropbox.

I had a green tick telling me it was current and I was even getting those annoying messages saying it had been updated but the poxy thing wasn't.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

All these backlogged German cases are making it very hard to see if things are improving. I suppose the 600 odd cases today on top of the 12,000 puts us at 5% case growth rate which is heading in the right direction. Probably that most of those tests were done many days ago too. Seems hospital admission, ICU admission, and deaths are the more reliable indicators now. My poor graphs are useless!
                          Probably not all that meaningful without being weighted for testing regiemes but out cases per million population isn't looking great

Comment

Why did people vote 12 greens as TD's ? They don't want any part of this future government it seems, Am I missing something here ?

Under what circumstances would they Govern ?

Random, but in my defense...I have had wine...
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

http://www.strombo.com/radioThe Strombo Show presents Steve Earle in an intimate performance from the home of George Stroumboulopoulos to celebrate his new a...

Did not know that, mentored by TVZ and Guy Clark.
                              Last edited by oleras; 15-04-20, 21:10.
                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                Probably not all that meaningful without being weighted for testing regiemes but out cases per million population isn't looking great

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...WE+CHE+GBR+USA
                                Just as well that statistic means almost nothing. Divide a thing that spreads among the population when almost everyone is susceptible by a small number any you always get a big number. If that's your measure than San Marino is 10x worse off than Italy (adjusted by days since 100 cases).
                                Last edited by Guest; 15-04-20, 21:18.

Comment

I literally know nothing about it. ?
                                  A red letter day for us all. Take a moment and reflect upon this momentous occasion

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                    Jack L has done a Facebook Live at 8pm on each of the past 2 Saturday evenings. He is going to keep it up for the foreseeable and this Saturday he is doing a themed gig and it will be a session doing Leonard Cohen covers. Should be good.
                                    The singing mechanic, fair play to him, remember him doing hotel bar gigs in 99, seen him a few times in Dolans down here also, one of those guys that with the right dust of magic would have been massive.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

People!

Protestors against the stay-at-home order in Michigan block streets leading to Sparrow Hospital

Opr

Comment

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Just as well that statistic means almost nothing. Divide a thing that spreads among the population when almost everyone is susceptible by a small number any you always get a big number. If that's your measure than San Marino is 10x worse off than Italy (adjusted by days since 100 cases).
                                          Surely it is of some use as a comparator between countries. If you include only countries that have at least 10000 cases we are currently 5th in the world behind Spain, Switzerland, Belgium and Italy. Obviously we will not stay there as this spreads to less developed regions but as European countries go we seem to have been hit pretty hard with respect to case numbers whilst somehow dodging a bullet on ICU admissions.

I haven't seen Belgium mentioned at all in the press. 4440 deaths from 33573 cases. What has gone wrong there? They have just over twice our population.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-04-20, 21:56.
                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                              The singing mechanic, fair play to him, remember him doing hotel bar gigs in 99, seen him a few times in Dolans down here also, one of those guys that with the right dust of magic would have been massive.
                                              All he had to do is shave the soul patch - too late now

Comment

The real data is an absolute fucking mess at this stage...just making the point per capita being applied to situations that don't warrant it. I think we're 4th in the world in tests per million now which may explain our high case numbers as Hitch says. No idea what's happened in Belgium tbh.

By the way I make us 17th not 5th in terms of total cases.
                                                Last edited by Guest; 15-04-20, 22:07.

Comment

Presser is eh, interesting.

He's blaming the WHO, bigly

Comment

We've probably identified loads of cases as we've tested proportionately more cases, no? Just means we've identified way more cases that other countries haven't identified. By the end of this week we'll be one of the highest tested nations in the world. Already 5th most tested nation for those with cases over 10,000. It'll be number 1 by the end of the week.
                                                    If you count countries that have processed at least 100000 tests we are 6th in Europe for tests in proportion to population. I don't know why you'd exclude Norway by making 10000 cases a barrier for entry. It seems odd to me that we are on the very Western edge of Europe yet we are well ahead in terms of cases in comparison to countries that are in proximity to the epicenter, Portugal and Austria to name two that have similar testing numbers to us.

In relation to being number one next week, we now have the lab capacity but not enough people are being referred to meet that capacity so the case definition is going to have to change again to allow GPs to refer more people. I'm not sure when that will be announced.

Comment

The real data is an absolute fucking mess at this stage...just making the point per capita being applied to situations that don't warrant it. I think we're 4th in the world in tests per million now which may explain our high case numbers as Hitch says. No idea what's happened in Belgium tbh.

By the way I make us 17th not 5th in terms of total cases.
                                                      For us being 5th, I was referring to "Total cases per 1 million population" where there were at least 10000 confirmed cases (excluding San Marino, Vatican etc) as per Worldometers figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                        Presser is eh, interesting.

He's blaming the WHO, bigly
                                                        Fauci nowhere to be seen? Think it is the first one I have seen him not attend.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                                                          For us being 5th, I was referring to "Total cases per 1 million population" where there were at least 10000 confirmed cases (excluding San Marino, Vatican etc) as per Worldometers figures.
                                                          As I said above its meaningless in the early going, until your population starts to limit the ratio of susceptible to infected people which no country in the world is even close to. Removing the countries that skew the data to make the point shows how meaningless it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                            Fauci nowhere to be seen? Think it is the first one I have seen him not attend.

Opr
                                                            Fauci is a realist and popular with every class. Was only a matter of time before Trump reduced his time due to being more liked (and answering questions semi-honestly) than him.
                                                            Birx is a yes man!

Comment

Party Poker

Phase 1 - check
                                                              Phase 2 - check
                                                              Phase 3 - levels 1 to 19 check, level 20 (qualify for €1000 ticket) ...oooooh shiny suited Ace ...oooh top and bottom ...pot.....call.....oooops

Ah well €1 well spent I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                                                                Fauci is a realist and popular with every class. Was only a matter of time before Trump reduced his time due to being more liked (and answering questions semi-honestly) than him.
                                                                Birx is a yes man!
                                                                Fauci has sat a few pressers out I think.

Comment

Fucking lunatic

Comment

What is it with people forwarding unaccredited medical advice. It really frustrates me when they dont even bother doing a basic check on it, just happily click the forward button thinking they're doing their bit to save the world when in fact its entirely possible they may have helped kill somebody.

I've had a friend do it, debunked it.
                                                                    Sister did it 3 times debunked all and caused an argument as another sister liked "the bit about the breathing:

Had a colleague on to me today about herd immunity (doctor x he saw on YouTube). Did you check his credentials I ask. "How do I do that?" FFS
                                                                    Also he thinks our right to free speech is gone and is worried about a police state.
                                                                    He cited Trump at one point.

Have a friend she sent me the fake hoax Dansebank thing that was knocking around.
                                                                    I said thanks for that but you realise you did send that to
                                                                    me yesterday also.
                                                                    It explained how it was a fake hoax and that there was a reward for reporting it to the regulator.
                                                                    "Really? How much?"

Bah!

Comment

I joined this this site nearly a decade ago. most of ye know my life story..

Mia turned 15 today. How mad is that!

All of ye have followed her life journey which is pretty amazing for a bunch of people I don't know, have met an odd time and made besties here.

Sometimes the net can be a wonderful place

It's mad how I felt I had to let my bbv buddies know
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Comment

For Google Drive the big purchase reason is to store photos in their original format rather than the condensed web format. Makes a big difference imo in terms of future proofing photo quality.

For Dropbox Premium the big reason is the syncing capacity - as you can keep some files in the cloud without also having them on the laptop.
                                                                          I'm not fully sure what photo format you are referring to. I don't really use either for photos, mainly for document storage. But I just downloaded a test photo from my google drive just now and it was still in the same format and compression.
                                                                          All my photos these days are taken on my phone, so probably best to maintain native apple raw format in icloud.

Drop boxfile sync is available with the free version too. Up to the 2GB limit.
                                                                          I think you're talking about of smart sync though. Which sounds like it dynamically manages sync as space is needed. iCloud will also do that, for less.

Don't get me wrong. Dropbox is good. I'm working on a project with an firm in London, and we're using dropbox instead of local for all day to day filing. But as I said to GAB I don't think that there's any point paying for 2TB+ when you storing <2GB. And on a mac, the apple equivalent is probably a bit more seamless.

for archiving files <2GB, paying for

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                            I've probably seen him live c.20 times in all types of settings. He has an unbelievable voice and when on form is an exceptional show man. He never signed to a label and I figure never knew how good he was and what might have been. One of his early albums/tours was constructed under an EIS scheme. He has a good link up with Jools Holland for UK support gigs but I can't help but feel he should be doing more than that. Still lives in Athy from what I know. The last time I saw him it was in the NCH, the time before that he was filling diesel into a beaten up BMW station wagon in the filling station down the road from my house.

Comment

Season 2 or what we do in the shadows started back tonight. It's just as hilarious as ever.

Comment

Interesting the views of Americans in terms of Trumps response and what they fear the most as time has progressed: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ex_cid=rrpromo

Comment

What is the best anti virus to use at the moment? Don’t mind paying a sub if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                    What is the best anti virus to use at the moment? Don’t mind paying a sub if needed.
                                                                                    lol, spent a good five seconds thinking you meant corona.

Comment

Friend on facebook said if you drink water you wont get the virus!! - o wait...

edit: Damn Lazara!!

Comment

I put NOD32 on our computers and nothing ever happens when its on, stops people opening dodgy email and websites, shop around online for best price

not claiming to be an expert, but when i dont put on people computers shit happens

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                          What is it with people forwarding unaccredited medical advice. It really frustrates me when they dont even bother doing a basic check on it, just happily click the forward button thinking they're doing their bit to save the world when in fact its entirely possible they may have helped kill somebody.

I've had a friend do it, debunked it.
                                                                                          Sister did it 3 times debunked all and caused an argument as another sister liked "the bit about the breathing:

Had a colleague on to me today about herd immunity (doctor x he saw on YouTube). Did you check his credentials I ask. "How do I do that?" FFS
                                                                                          Also he thinks our right to free speech is gone and is worried about a police state.
                                                                                          He cited Trump at one point.

Have a friend she sent me the fake hoax Dansebank thing that was knocking around.
                                                                                          I said thanks for that but you realise you did send that to
                                                                                          me yesterday also.
                                                                                          It explained how it was a fake hoax and that there was a reward for reporting it to the regulator.
                                                                                          "Really? How much?"

Bah!
                                                                                          the amount of this shite going around Facebook, you ask for proof and they send you a meme with pictures like that is something... usually they nearly always have the Clintons on it!!

I taught up what I taught was a funny one the other day... was going to put it around that the cornaVirus was created by the Clintons and everyone it infected believed that Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself... No loose ends... I held back cause the world is that much of a rubbish bin on fire that it might actually catch on!!

Comment

Any further thoughts on the current job market?

Has there been any changes in your opinion in the past couple of weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                              I joined this this site nearly a decade ago. most of ye know my life story..

Mia turned 15 today. How mad is that!

All of ye have followed her life journey which is pretty amazing for a bunch of people I don't know, have met an odd time and made besties here.

Sometimes the net can be a wonderful place

It's mad how I felt I had to let my bbv buddies know
                                                                                              The real question, is does she know she is an IPB star?

Comment

...

Comment

Finished up watching "The Boys" S1 on Amazon prime last night. It was absolutely excellent and way better than I expected. A real tonic to the holier than thou typical superhero genre, the absolute antithesis. The brutality and gore was disgustingly hilarious at times. Some great performances and features an Irish actress Dominique McElligott in one of the main roles. Must get onto Watchmen S1 next.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                                    The real question, is does she know she is an IPB star?
                                                                                                    No. The only time she mentions ye lot is when she needs a, question answered

Em mam shur thought you knew solicitors, bankers, doctors,lecturers Hitch (comes up alot) on that forum
                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

...

Comment

Oh yeah totally. But surely no-one has less than 2gb files.

Re Photos, maybe they've updated the policy, but this says there is some compression if you are using the free option. I'm just guessing here that 1080p (the maximum under free storage) will seem archaic in a decade.
                                                                                                        For the last two years I've had to upgrade my Google Drive, think I'm at 200gb. Thing is a lot of that is junk. Have no desire to go through it deleting stuff. Is there any software out there that will do that for me. Something that will keep photos and vids of family and dump everything else?

Comment

Something about delayed refunds that bother me far more than they should. Waiting about 6 weeks now for a few Ryanair flights to be refunded, I know they'll eventually get around to it and it doesn't make a jot of difference whether it lands today, tomorrow or in 3 months but still tilts me on some level despite any effort to reason it with myself.
                                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

25000 more people dead in the UK in the year to 14 April then would have been actuarially expected based on recent mortality trends. That’s some figure even allowing for statistical variations...
                                                                                                            A fairly reliable source alright.
                                                                                                            This is lightbulb moment stuff for me btw. Cuts through all the inaccuracies of the covid 19 data, the variances in testing and mortality reporting, the toxic politics in the UK, etc. You simply can't explain away additional dead people when compared to last year. It's a clear and unambiguous data point. Thanks for posting it!!
                                                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                              Something about delayed refunds that bother me far more than they should. Waiting about 6 weeks now for a few Ryanair flights to be refunded, I know they'll eventually get around to it and it doesn't make a jot of difference whether it lands today, tomorrow or in 3 months but still tilts me on some level despite any effort to reason it with myself.
                                                                                                              The hassle we're having with an agency to get clarification on a refund is incredible. It's only 300e but we don't actually know if we will get it back. TBF when I contacted Aer Lingus directly, they were very understanding but it's not on them.

That said, it could be worse, I know one couple who were due to fly out on their honeymoon very soon and they're looking at a very sizeable sum which is completely up in the air at the moment.

Comment

Oh yeah totally. But surely no-one has less than 2gb files.
                                                                                                                Everyone has more than 2GB of crap accumulated. That's a few movies.
                                                                                                                I personal don't think file everything because you can is a good approach, but I know some that do.

Re Photos, maybe they've updated the policy, but this says there is some compression if you are using the free option. I'm just guessing here that 1080p (the maximum under free storage) will seem archaic in a decade.
                                                                                                                That's Google Photos. Completely different service. I've never used it, but looks like individual file size is limited, but unlimited storage capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                  US car insurance companies offering refunds because people aren't using cars during lock-down. Any chance of giving a little back here DP?
                                                                                                                  no but I imagine if you have had something like telematics on your car you could probably try make a case for some kind of mid term adjustment. Depends on the carrier really. I wouldn't hold my breath

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                                                    Finished up watching "The Boys" S1 on Amazon prime last night. It was absolutely excellent and way better than I expected. A real tonic to the holier than thou typical superhero genre, the absolute antithesis. The brutality and gore was disgustingly hilarious at times. Some great performances and features an Irish actress Dominique McElligott in one of the main roles. Must get onto Watchmen S1 next.
                                                                                                                    both brilliant.
                                                                                                                    Watchmen is, I think, a one and done.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                      For the last two years I've had to upgrade my Google Drive, think I'm at 200gb. Thing is a lot of that is junk. Have no desire to go through it deleting stuff. Is there any software out there that will do that for me. Something that will keep photos and vids of family and dump everything else?
                                                                                                                      That's kinda what I was getting at. Keeping everything just means it's hard to find the important stuff. Nobody needs to delete the useless photos when you've got the space.
                                                                                                                      Does my mallet in work when people just file all sort of crap and clog up project folders.

You could probably deleted all non-photo and video files easily. Sorting out family shots from 2002 football memes might be harder.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                                        This is lightbulb moment stuff for me btw. Cuts through all the inaccuracies of the covid 19 data, the variances in testing and mortality reporting, the toxic politics in the UK, etc. You simply can't explain away additional dead people when compared to last year. It's a clear and unambiguous data point. Thanks for posting it!!
                                                                                                                        A couple of weeks ago I did a rough check on Dublin and Kildare deaths reported on RIP.ie against the same two weeks over five years and found that other than a spike in Dublin for one of those years the overall numbers were up in line with the HSE reported deaths.

I haven't got the bandwith to do a proper job on it but I'd imagine someones already done it properly and I'd think its going to be as reliable a guide as you'll get ahead of CSO figures.

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                                                                                                          I put NOD32 on our computers and nothing ever happens when its on, stops people opening dodgy email and websites, shop around online for best price

not claiming to be an expert, but when i dont put on people computers shit happens
                                                                                                                          We use Sophos in work with the anti-ransomware add-on (intercept-X). Web-filtering keeps out a lot of junk sites. They have a free offering that just needs email signup but I'd imagine it doesn't have all the enterprise features.

Windows defender already does a reasonable job. If you want peace of mind go with any of the main players and you'll be fine. NOD32 isn't a bad shout at all.

both brilliant.
                                                                                                                          Watchmen is, I think, a one and done.
                                                                                                                          Ah crap I was just looking at the reviews and getting excited. Still have to finish the last season of Legion too. Its incredibly trippy now, a lot like Hannibal.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X