X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
    People queueing up to get in to Pennys.
    Well in fairness, the clothes they bought the last time have probably fallen apart by now

Comment

Irish hip hop continuing to make waves, as good an album as Ive heard in a while.

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

airport, lol

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          Finally able to cash in the remaining, in person, Biden bet today when Boyles reopened their doors. Straight into PTSB and then forwarded the cash onto Degiro. The AIB party is going strong (up 30% so far, based on blended prices I bought at), but still planning to top up the investment as ridic cheap still and everyone seems to be only realising it now.
          Degiro handy to negotiate? Might do this with a few shares, more fun than Crypto. Still sick i didnt lump on BOI a few years ago.

Comment

Lovely view! Awful place to live in fairness, that fucking wind would put years on you.
            The prevailing wind is southerly though so Howth must be nicely tucked into the shelter of Howth Head? Hence why it has a harbour.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Was cycling through a place yesterday that looked lovely - top class. Well as lovely as a housing estate can. Tudor Lawns in Foxrock (with a slightly dubious use of the location Foxrock as its right beside Leopardstown racecourse). Looked up the sales prices of the houses are they are all around €600k. Given the stupid prices of this part of Dublin that seemed weird as was expecting it to be something much more stupid like €800-900k.

A bit of googling further and see this charming news story that took place there:

Could it be something as simple as that - one guy loses his dick, balls, and ultimately his life, and thats why all the houses in the estate are about 20-25% below comparable prices?
              Definitely not Foxrock, certainly in the generally accepted sense of place.

3 bed houses, right beside an industrial estate and no real amenities near by. Sounds about right imo.

Comment

hmm Loeffler looks betable against.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...rce=reddit.com
                I'll take Loeffler for the standard amount if you want a HU bet. She's up against Warnock.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Degiro handy to negotiate? Might do this with a few shares, more fun than Crypto. Still sick i didnt lump on BOI a few years ago.
                  Degiro is pretty easy to use. Hope you're not in a rush, there's a waiting list to join. Think it took 2 weeks for me.
                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

The sites claim to be running GTO checks against players playing too well. One of them banned 40 accounts recently claiming they had found these players playing too close to GTO. The lines are really blurry here as you essentially saying players can't play too well. There is also an undercurrent that it gives the site a way to ban winning players and just claim they are using RTA.

Also while it will catch players who rock up to poker hardly having played before and just follow the RTA assistant it won't catch the guys using it cleverly. Someone who is already quite good at the game and just has the assistance running so he is aware of what the correct GTO line is the real danger. He knows enough to vary play enough that he isn't caught. It just means in spots he isn't sure he always can fall back on using something close to the solver and is never making big mistakes. Half the battle in poker is constantly getting negative and positive feedback based on the results of hands while not really knowing if the plays you make are correct. The RTA completely eliminates that doubt.

It is hard to believe High Stakes games are still running online with this stuff out there in the wild especially on these less known apps where there is probably much less security than some of the bigger sites and apparently the action is huge on them.
                    You have a fair amount of youtubers openly advertise solvers and showing them use them to win tourneys/cash game
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

You're saying names like they mean something to you, which makes me hesitant. Is Warnock not good? His current polls are fine.
                            Warnock is the Dem she's up against in her run-off. It's a HU match basically.

I think these Senate races will be a reversion to the mean in Georgia and GOP wins both.

Comment

I’m confused. BOI share price has fallen badly over the past 5 years. Is a few years = 10 years ago? Or did you miss that they did a share consolidation and whilst the share price is higher now the market value (until recently) was below the worst days post the GFC?
                              Attached Files
                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

I’m confused. BOI share price has fallen badly over the past 5 years. Is a few years = 10 years ago? Or did you miss that they did a share consolidation and whilst the share price is higher now the market value (until recently) was below the worst days post the GFC?
                                  Yeah they 10x after i was looking around the time my brother passed away and i got distracted. No guarantee i would have shipped them oiut at the right time ofc

Edit - when u get to my age 10 years is a few years ago
                                  Last edited by Dice75; 01-12-20, 16:10.

Comment

Ah, I thought you were implying some extra knowledge about Warnock, that he is a gobshite or something, I don't know, only heard of him an hour ago. Maybe its reversion to mean. Its going to be another big betting market though and right now nobody is sure what is going to happen (repubs 1.5 in both) so its going to be turbulent. Looking forward to it.
                                    Think he's a preacher man. In an interesting twist on the usual GOP playbook, they have clearly decided they can't decry him as an enemy of God so let's go for portraying him as a 'religious radical'

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

You have a fair amount of youtubers openly advertise solvers and showing them use them to win tourneys/cash game
                                      Do you mean RTA or solvers? Solvers aren't the problem. At the end of the day, poker has always been about who has more information. Solvers are just the modern-day way of gaining that edge. If you are studying them away from the table that is fine. It still requires a tremendous amount of work to learn how to use solvers and then use them in a way from which you can gain meaningful benefit. They also require an understanding of poker to input meaningful questions with good ranges to actually get back good responses. Then you have to be able to look at the output and understand for example the solver is barrelling Q,10 because it unblocks flop backdoor draws and continues to Barrell because my hand blocks lots of his continuing range from the flop. You are basically using it to see outputs and then try to ask why the solver is doing what it is doing so you can apply the concepts across your game rather than memorizing solver outputs which is impossible. The answer is no good on its own and really all you have in a solver is a dumb calculator for poker. The hard bit is understanding how it got to the answers.

RTA is where they have some sort of precomputed database of all hands solved and are fetching these solutions in-game as they play hands. You can buy some really cheap ones already online on public sites for a very low cost but I've no doubt that some people are using more sophisticated ones based on posts like these.
                                      Last edited by Opr; 01-12-20, 16:38.

Comment

Elf on the Delf. None of that shit going down in my house 0_Shannon-Renee.jpg

Comment

Yeah they 10x after i was looking around the time my brother passed away and i got distracted. No guarantee i would have shipped them oiut at the right time ofc

Edit - when u get to my age 10 years is a few years ago
                                          That’s the thing. Apart from Wilbur Ross nobody got out at the right time so I wouldn’t be bemoaning the “loss” as it were, as in reality you’d still be likely holding the stock and no better off.

Irish banks are basically bouncing along the floor and the question is will tech and global banks just eat their lunch at some point or can they turnaround massively underperforming and culturally shot businesses. I vote
                                          no tbh and think they'll be turning off the lights in towns all over Ireland in the coming decade and paying off workers in various slow and fast ways of decline...
                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Lazare Hectorjelly LuckyLloyd or anyone else who's fond of craft beer.

Have you tried OL, they're a Danish crowd I tried recently and I thought it was great.

Anyone else I should be trying instead? I've tried a couple recently but I'm terrible at keeping track.

I ordered WhiteHag the time Lloyd recommended them and I liked the Phantom but not the Little Fawn if that helps.

​​​​​​​Also worth pointing out that if tagging Laz or HJ, alternative options include Lazare's Muffin and Hectoricecream

Comment

Was cycling through a place yesterday that looked lovely - top class. Well as lovely as a housing estate can. Tudor Lawns in Foxrock (with a slightly dubious use of the location Foxrock as its right beside Leopardstown racecourse). Looked up the sales prices of the houses are they are all around €600k. Given the stupid prices of this part of Dublin that seemed weird as was expecting it to be something much more stupid like €800-900k.

A bit of googling further and see this charming news story that took place there:

Could it be something as simple as that - one guy loses his dick, balls, and ultimately his life, and thats why all the houses in the estate are about 20-25% below comparable prices?
                                              So you'd lose your bollox without losing your bollox.
                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Have you tried OL, they're a Danish crowd I tried recently and I thought it was great.

Anyone else I should be trying instead? I've tried a couple recently but I'm terrible at keeping track.

I ordered WhiteHag the time Lloyd recommended them and I liked the Phantom but not the Little Fawn if that helps.

Also worth pointing out that if tagging Laz or HJ, alternative options include Lazare's Muffin and Hectoricecream
                                                Kinnegar is supreme imo. Such a fantastic, consistent brewery.

​​​​​​​Can't beat Irish craft ales.

Comment

Yeah Kinnegar def on top in Ireland, consistency is king, Rustbucket and scraggy bay are solid, do a lovely stout too

White hag over rated IMO, not even the best brewery in sligo,
                                                  and they’ve gone down the novelty pastry stout route
                                                  Tried a chocolate orange pastry stout from the recently, absolutely foul

OL pilsner is lovely too

Comment

I tried Kinnegar on Sunday, I mighty make an order with them then. 2 for 5.90e in Super Valu, not sure if that's good for what I bought.

Whiplash is one that has popped too. Bit of musical theme going on.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Took an hour to set up & verify account btw. Can obv smell the money

Comment

Prince William doing all he can to avoid a Mountbatten exit. Plus Kate wearing green.

Comment

Got a few nice shots this afternoon while out on my bike, if ye'll indulge me to share them. It was a sensational day for it.

Comment

Nice wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                      Nice wheels
                                                                      That's only the winter bike

Comment

Comment

If you had you'd be down. massive dilution. Then Recent reverse split. Only in last month up. Down 66% still since 48 months ago

Comment

In a basic summary. And I may not have all the figures exactly right here.

But they make about 1.5% profit a year on a long-dated mortgage loan book worth about €80bn that they keep topping up as there's no real viable challenger on mortgages. Everything else they do is a wash - some other incomes, some other costs.

So their core minimum value is some sort of perpetuity €1.2bn income per year maybe discounted at a 10% rate = €12bn target value.

Current market cap is about €3.5bn.

Fill yer boots and exit when they are exceed about €8-10bn market cap.

Money has never been this easy.
                                                                            Caution advised

Comment

The RRP £450 Oral-B toothbrush that is making Lazare feel better about his knife purchase https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oral-B-Ulti...80&sr=8-33

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                The RRP £450 Oral-B toothbrush that is making Lazare feel better about his knife purchase https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oral-B-Ulti...80&sr=8-33

That kept me awake last night. Couldn't believe it wasn't a typo

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

That's only the winter bike
                                                                                  Fenit is a great spot for a swim, followed by a seafood feast in this place.

The burning question though is this; do you have Dryrobe wankers in Kerry?

Comment

In case you are thinking of buying business leadership books for someone this Christmas forget it , sexto just killed that whole market segment stone dead on social media

”mace sat down with brand ambassador Johnny sexton to learn about his thoughts on what constitutes leadership”

Should be some good learnings to apply in work environment. for learn about how to keep your reputation good when you keep crying off sick for important meetings.
                                                                                    will also be interested to hear his thoughts on the advantages of sulking like a petulant teenager when your boss makes a call you don’t like

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                      In case you are thinking of buying business leadership books for someone this Christmas forget it , sexto just killed that whole market segment stone dead on social media

”mace sat down with brand ambassador Johnny sexton to learn about his thoughts on what constitutes leadership”

Should be some good learnings to apply in work environment. for learn about how to keep your reputation good when you keep crying off sick for important meetings.
                                                                                      will also be interested to hear his thoughts on the advantages of sulking like a petulant teenager when your boss makes a call you don’t like
                                                                                      The big question is will you listen to it so that you can report back how terrible it was

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

The big question is will you listen to it so that you can report back how terrible it was
                                                                                        wouldn’t do that to myself, rugby talk on radio/podcasts is jumping across the room to switch off time for me

Comment

Dry robe wanker thing is weird - there’s plenty of sea for everyone- it’s the people who call it wild swimming who grind my gears

The snobbishness towards the new arrivals seems To be mainly a south Dublin thing anyway- doesn’t surprise me always found the forty foot crew to be a salty bunch at the best of times-was still a fair few not afraid to parade their shrivelled scrotums about for all 15 years ago I’m guessing that doesn’t play anymore

Comment

Bought AIB on 17 Nov after Hitch recommended. Sold this morning. 29% return .
                                                                                            Fees for LSE trade on Degiro were €4.32 for each transaction not including financial transaction tax.

NYSE trades a fraction of that, usually less than a euro.

Usually do about €500 to €1000 a trade.

Rarely make enough in a year to go over the annual exemption so don't think about the tax too much.
                                                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting an Xbox Series X or PS5 before Xmas.

I feel I could be in the same situation as Arnold Schwarzenegger in Jingle All The Way when he asks where he can get a Turbo Man on Xmas eve

I envisage this will happen if I ask in GameStop

Comment

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting an Xbox Series X or PS5 before Xmas.

I feel I could be in the same situation as Arnold Schwarzenegger in Jingle All The Way when he asks where he can get a Turbo Man on Xmas eve

I envisage this will happen if I ask in GameStop

i'd say put your name down on all the waiting lists across all the major stores, you might get lucky. and if stock becomes available on a 1st come 1st serve, then mash that f5 like crazy!

Comment

Cracking thread, some breathtaking images..

Comment

If anyone has any advice about retrofitting\upgrading a house, I'd be very glad to hear it.
                                                                                                    Starting to get into project mode on this now.

Writing this down to try to get my own thoughts in order but basically story is this:
                                                                                                    We bought a house last year, constructed early 70s. Probably a typical house of the time for the area (Clontarf).
                                                                                                    Very solidly built (like drilling a hole in a wall is a major effort just to hang up a picture or a curtain or w/e).
                                                                                                    Only ever had one family live in it and we bought from the estate.
                                                                                                    Great location, home for life. General site footprint is great - big (for Dublin) garden, good bedroom sizes, huge attic. i.e. we don't really need to increase actual square footage

State of the house currently:
                                                                                                    1. open fireplace in living room
                                                                                                    2. old style air vents in various rooms
                                                                                                    3. unsealed suspended wooden floor
                                                                                                    4. roof insulation not great
                                                                                                    5. external wall insulation bad
                                                                                                    6. shitty old windows (single glazed), you can literally feel the wind come through them
                                                                                                    7. crappy enough old doors
                                                                                                    8. old OFCH heating system, old controls
                                                                                                    9. old wiring, lighting
                                                                                                    10. old main bathroom, old ensuite in master (which was adopted for disability and basically unsable right now ). Crappy old style downstairs WC
                                                                                                    11. terrible, bordering on insane access to attic - currently it's via a hatch located over the sink in the main bathroom
                                                                                                    12. old kitchen extension at rear with old style kitchen
                                                                                                    13. current BER (brrrrrr) is E2. I actually think it might be worse but that's still pretty shit.
                                                                                                    So what we want to do is take this old house and basically upgrade to 2020 standards. We got an architect in at the start of 2020 to do floorplans and sectionals. And have since basically done nothing using covid as our excuse for masterly inactivity. The onset of cold weather now reminding me.

Want to:
                                                                                                    1. knock old kitchen extension at rear and build a new bigger one to house a modern kitchen and den area. Adding a small bit, ~10sq/m to house size.
                                                                                                    2. reconfigure internal downstairs layout slightly - new utility room, new cloakroom area, bigger jacks
                                                                                                    3. Full insulation of external walls and attic
                                                                                                    4. seal\insulate raised floors
                                                                                                    5. new windows all round, triple glazed
                                                                                                    6. replace all doors, internal and external
                                                                                                    7. replace open fire place with modern inset stove
                                                                                                    8. full rewire, modern lighting
                                                                                                    9. new bathrooms all round
                                                                                                    10. move access point to attic, properly floor attic to make it more usable
                                                                                                    11. strip out old OFCH and replace with an air heat pump. Gets us back some garden space too as old boiler house can be knocked and oil tank removed
                                                                                                    12. solar panels on roof

Ignoring cosmetic stuff like new wardrobes, bookcases etc basically the objective is to take an old house and do a full retrofit up to A rating. Make it a carbon neutral house.

Seeing as BBV knows all, are there any tips about this proposed project? My main one is really the ambition of it - are you mad to think you could ever get to A-rated on a 1970s house and should we scale it back to 'modernisation' and maybe a C rating. Has anyone done similar?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Seeing as BBV knows all, are there any tips about this proposed project? My main one is really the ambition of it - are you mad to think you could ever get to A-rated on a 1970s house and should we scale it back to 'modernisation' and maybe a C rating. Has anyone done similar?
                                                                                                      My bro took my mother's "new" house from an F rating to an effective C1 rating which he felt was the most economical. It was built in the 1970s too.

As you mentioned in order to get into A rating you need to air to water, solar but that wasn't viable financially.

He felt his biggest issue was the insulation of the extension which he did to an extent but he regrets not knocking it.

On a personal note, I'd be sure I want an A rated house before I invest to get there. Its something I mentioned before.

I understand all the merits of it but as someone who bought one and who has friends who bought one too, they are uncomfortably warm at times.

Perhaps a house with a larger sq/ft which I know you'll have may be easier to dissipate heat from but since I've moved in, we have lit the pot-belly stove 3 times and regretted it that night. It now houses a candle.
                                                                                                      The house doesn't feel "warm" in the traditional sense either so sometimes you feel cold in the short term. It's just not the most welcoming imo.

Perhaps worth checking out Boards as I've come across threads a number of retro-fit threads there.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Guest; 02-12-20, 13:47.

Comment

Buy a house that needs less work done would be the obvious advice but that ship has sailed

With regards to the difficulty drilling the hole:
                                                                                                        Are you using the right drill bits/the right drill for the job!?

Probably worth looking into if you're going to be doing a lot of decorating!

Comment

Which of the 3 vaccines offered at the moment allows one to take a drink the soonest ?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                            If anyone has any advice about retrofitting\upgrading a house, I'd be very glad to hear it.
                                                                                                            Starting to get into project mode on this now.

Writing this down to try to get my own thoughts in order but basically story is this:
                                                                                                            We bought a house last year, constructed early 70s. Probably a typical house of the time for the area (Clontarf).
                                                                                                            Very solidly built (like drilling a hole in a wall is a major effort just to hang up a picture or a curtain or w/e).
                                                                                                            Only ever had one family live in it and we bought from the estate.
                                                                                                            Great location, home for life. General site footprint is great - big (for Dublin) garden, good bedroom sizes, huge attic. i.e. we don't really need to increase actual square footage

State of the house currently:
                                                                                                            1. open fireplace in living room
                                                                                                            2. old style air vents in various rooms
                                                                                                            3. unsealed suspended wooden floor
                                                                                                            4. roof insulation not great
                                                                                                            5. external wall insulation bad
                                                                                                            6. shitty old windows (single glazed), you can literally feel the wind come through them
                                                                                                            7. crappy enough old doors
                                                                                                            8. old OFCH heating system, old controls
                                                                                                            9. old wiring, lighting
                                                                                                            10. old main bathroom, old ensuite in master (which was adopted for disability and basically unsable right now ). Crappy old style downstairs WC
                                                                                                            11. terrible, bordering on insane access to attic - currently it's via a hatch located over the sink in the main bathroom
                                                                                                            12. old kitchen extension at rear with old style kitchen
                                                                                                            13. current BER (brrrrrr) is E2. I actually think it might be worse but that's still pretty shit.
                                                                                                            So what we want to do is take this old house and basically upgrade to 2020 standards. We got an architect in at the start of 2020 to do floorplans and sectionals. And have since basically done nothing using covid as our excuse for masterly inactivity. The onset of cold weather now reminding me.

Want to:
                                                                                                            1. knock old kitchen extension at rear and build a new bigger one to house a modern kitchen and den area. Adding a small bit, ~10sq/m to house size.
                                                                                                            2. reconfigure internal downstairs layout slightly - new utility room, new cloakroom area, bigger jacks
                                                                                                            3. Full insulation of external walls and attic
                                                                                                            4. seal\insulate raised floors
                                                                                                            5. new windows all round, triple glazed
                                                                                                            6. replace all doors, internal and external
                                                                                                            7. replace open fire place with modern inset stove
                                                                                                            8. full rewire, modern lighting
                                                                                                            9. new bathrooms all round
                                                                                                            10. move access point to attic, properly floor attic to make it more usable
                                                                                                            11. strip out old OFCH and replace with an air heat pump. Gets us back some garden space too as old boiler house can be knocked and oil tank removed
                                                                                                            12. solar panels on roof

Ignoring cosmetic stuff like new wardrobes, bookcases etc basically the objective is to take an old house and do a full retrofit up to A rating. Make it a carbon neutral house.

I’d say you can get to a B rating without too much difficulty doing the above but I’m not sure id necessarily be willing to commit to an A rating. A B2 rating would be enough to justify an air/water solution from a running costs perspective and then you could heat your house for 300 a year on electricity. Is it worth going all the way to full passive? Particularly if you are generating the electricity as part of a broader move to manage the future electricity consumption in the house.

The type and objectives of your solar panels need to be thought through. Project forward a few years when you have an electric car etc. and see if photovoltaic and a battery solution make economic sense.

I look forward to hearing the renovation costs btw.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1681726&d=1606917661&type=thumb
                                                                                                              Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                              Cracking thread, some breathtaking images..

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

I look forward to hearing the renovation costs btw.
                                                                                                                This.

Couple with bemoaning why you didnt have even more on Biden.

Comment

Also worth pointing out that if tagging Laz or HJ, alternative options include Lazare's Muffin and Hectoricecream
                                                                                                                  For Danish craft beer, I'm a huge fan of mikkeller
                                                                                                                  His Ich Bin Raspberry Berliner is fucking amazing. A really really good weiss sour beer.
                                                                                                                  Side eyes is such an easy drinking IPA, though probably more of a summer beer.
                                                                                                                  ​​​​​​​Great story behind them too,
                                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Kinnegar is supreme imo. Such a fantastic, consistent brewery.

Can't beat Irish craft ales.
                                                                                                                    Rustbucket FTW.

You are right though, we are pretty spoiled for choice.
                                                                                                                    Bru does some really good stuff, Wicklow Wolf, Whiplash, Rascals, Yellow Belly, 8 degrees and of course White Hag.
                                                                                                                    Craftcentral has made me session through the lockdown
                                                                                                                    Last edited by DeadParrot; 02-12-20, 14:27.

Comment

Thanks - some good stuff there

[QUOTE=Murdrum;n1681720]

My bro took my mother's "new" house from an F rating to an effective C1 rating which he felt was the most economical. It was built in the 1970s too./QUOTE]

wouldn't surprise me if that's where we end up ultimately

As you mentioned in order to get into A rating you need to air to water, solar but that wasn't viable financially.
                                                                                                                      I think if we can be sold on the long-term benefits and that it's practically feasible, then the financials are fine (within limits, Dice gold-plated jacks maybe optional )

On a personal note, I'd be sure I want an A rated house before I invest to get there. Its something I mentioned before.

I understand all the merits of it but as someone who bought one and who has friends who bought one too, they are uncomfortably warm at times.

Perhaps a house with a larger sq/ft which I know you'll have may be easier to dissipate heat from but since I've moved in, we have lit the pot-belly stove 3 times and regretted it that night. It now houses a candle.
                                                                                                                      The house doesn't feel "warm" in the traditional sense either so sometimes you feel cold in the short term. It's just not the most welcoming imo..
                                                                                                                      really interesting - maybe it just feels 'alien' because we are used to a different airflow pattern

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                                        Buy a house that needs less work done would be the obvious advice but that ship has sailed

With regards to the difficulty drilling the hole:
                                                                                                                        Are you using the right drill bits/the right drill for the job!?

Probably worth looking into if you're going to be doing a lot of decorating!
                                                                                                                        the walls are solid, solid concrete . It's just a regular drill.

Obviously my objective in life is to do the bare minimum of DIY.

Comment

more goodness - thanks

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                          RDIII, some comments for you..

1. Remove all open fireplaces and replace them with insert stoves. Personally i'd stick with solid fuel over gas. As a rule of thumb each open fireplace in a house will bring you down 1 notch on the energy rating scale. The insert stoves are very tidy, call out if you want to see one in action.
                                                                                                                          this is exactly the plan. Mrs D3 being a good culchie from a turf-burning area like yourself does want that solid fuel option.

We had this insert in the last place which was A1. Would have ripped it out and taken it with us if I could have.

2. Insulation is cheap. Lash it in. The spray foam, beads, all that jazz. Just get it in. One thing to note. Many of those old houses in Clontarf have the rear wall (and maybe others) as single leaf cavity block rather than double leaf block. The former obv not suitable for bead injecting so make sure you figure that out before you set your sights on a remedy.
                                                                                                                          yup, that's the plan

3. Pack all the floors with layers of rock wool insulation. I added an extra layer to my ceiling when i moved in here at a cost of c.750e for 2200sqr ft. So easy game with lots of upside. I then floored my attic and have more space up there than I can use but for small enough money i'd have no issue converting to dormer or a very generous office solution.
                                                                                                                          yes, definitely need this. We ripped out the manky old carpets and put some cheap-ass laminate 'wood' down when we moved in but you can still feel air coming in through the floor!

The rest is all a case of throwing money at it.
                                                                                                                          if you could just tip up the winner of the GN, the Lincoln and the County Hurdle there please I'll get the required trebles on

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X