X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I'm always safe from these accusations as it never seems to be a surprise if I say something stupid. Raoul consistent in his line too. So must be someone who has broken ranks with their image. Kayroo obv.
      Ah heyor: The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

I'd like to think I can do that, without even being aware of it.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
        I agree with absolutely everthing Lloyd has said. Struck me as the world becomes more polar, you are this or you are this, that the platfroms really have a lot to answer for. we ecourage ppl to decide in a split second of they like someone or not, and expect that not to corrode our humanity. Like I feel rage and contempt and disdain for all those arguing against simple and true assumptions and points he is making but maybe thats just all the fucking hate we are drowning in. fuck that, and fuck you too.
        The good thing about this community is that you don't get that hate nonsense (and is why I never use the mainstream platforms like Facebook or Twitter which are drowning in it). So I'll take this as being a 3am rant that we would all partake in of time to time.

Even on the housing thing; I don't actually think there is all that much fundamental disagreement. People need to be housed, the disagreement is usually over the 'how'.

Plus my revenge on LL is that he is slowly being drawn into the middle classes. Give it five years and he'll be complaining about creche fees. Muhahahahahaha.

Comment

Gary does Tayto. 2020 not a complete write off

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

DNI, ODNI, Office, Director, National, Intelligence, DNI.gov
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

The good thing about this community is that you don't get that hate nonsense (and is why I never use the mainstream platforms like Facebook or Twitter which are drowning in it). So I'll take this as being a 3am rant that we would all partake in of time to time.

Even on the housing thing; I don't actually think there is all that much fundamental disagreement. People need to be housed, the disagreement is usually over the 'how'.

Plus my revenge on LL is that he is slowly being drawn into the middle classes. Give it five years and he'll be complaining about creche fees. Muhahahahahaha.
              I've long successfully clawed my way out of the gutter into the middle classes. We live in fear of creche fees and have been constantly noting to each other how lucky we are not to have toddlers running around the place during lockdown. That said, I don't think my fundamental view on politics will ever really change, if it hasn't by now.
              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

I've long successfully clawed my way out of the gutter into the middle classes. We live in fear of creche fees and have been constantly noting to each other how lucky we are not to have toddlers running around the place during lockdown. That said, I don't think my fundamental view on politics will ever really change, if it hasn't by now.
                Well, good luck with that.

The middle-aged drift into more realistic\conservative mindsets is a real thing. You're what, in your late 30s\early 40s? So probably successfully avoided it at this stage.

Comment

The middle-aged drift into more realistic\conservative mindsets is a real thing. You're what, in your late 30s\early 40s? So probably successfully avoided it at this stage.
                  Have to admit that my relatively recent reliance on prescription drugs has made me a lot more fearful of er, economic instability. I'm probably still somewhere to the left of Trotsky, but not as enthused as a younger me was

Comment

Hi lads, sign-up sheet is now available for another WW game is now open. Will run if enough interest.

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Get your n words while you can!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                        Opr Is there an app called Vrtify available on it?

A live gig app I had on the Samsung headset. There wasn't much content on it but there was a Gorillaz and a The XX gig up there and they were mind blowing.

Gorillaz one was a straight forward gig where you were up on stage beside the band one minute then out in the crowd the next. They had VR cameras set up in four or five locations. The XX one was seriously mind blowing though, they used the tech in really clever ways. Very difficult to describe the experience, was something totally new and absolutely amazing.
                        I always thought the big thing in VR would be experiencing things like the gig through the eyes of the artist on stage. It wouldn't be just about seeing new places, but instead experiencing things that you never could in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Will you give it a rest.
                          Chancer.

Comment

Anyone read Agassi's bio. EPIC read .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                              Anyone read Agassi's bio. EPIC read .
                              Yeah read it last year, it was very good. His description of his childhood and his lunatic father are gas.

Domestique by Charly Wegelius is another sports bio I read last year that I thought was incredible if you haven't come across it.

Comment

Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head. I know mostly paraphrased and attributed to Churchill later, but the point is generally valid I'd say.

I'd class myself as balanced, I don't think people who are in need should be left without basic services like housing and food in a civilised society, and those who benefit from civilised society such as property rights and law & order should be willing to contribute to sustain them.

Where most of the arguments seem to lie is to the extent of how far each should go.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Yeah read it last year, it was very good. His description of his childhood and his lunatic father are gas.

Domestique by Charly Wegelius is another sports bio I read last year that I thought was incredible if you haven't come across it.
                                  The idea that if he hits 3000 balls and day and therefore 1m balls a year means he can't help but be good is astonishing. To be fair to him, it worked.

Comment

I looked into studies on this before:

The general consensus is that it is that societies have progressively gotten more liberal. In countries where this is not the case we don't see the same kepler-ish conservativism age effect. It seems more like peoples views are in general set by the time they are 25 and become harder to change, and because the the definition of conservative is fluid. Every generation pushes the envelope a little more. The liberals of the old generation made inroads and fought for their beliefs in their time, but as they get older those ideas have become the new conservative, because the next generation is pushing even further, not because they are necessarily more open, but because they started from the foundation of liberal that the earlier generation made possible for them, so now the younger generation's idea of liberal makes the older generation seem conservative.

Now we can also see that older people have something/more to lose, so a slight change in voting is expected to occur out of self preservation. Regarding belief, individuals seem to change but are actually just standing still while societies move around them.

Or as the Simpsons put it:

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.

It will happen to you!"
                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 12-06-20, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

That’s counterfeit Tayto ya mad yoke

Comment

Comment

Cheers I haven't. Sounds gruelling going by the title :-) . Will give this one a go. Ta

Comment

really enjoyed Agassi's autobiography. i grew up playing and watching a lot of tennis and his transformation from brat to hero was one i remember so well. Also loved Steffi at the time. it brought back lots of really cool memories for me.

will add domestique to the list. cheers

Comment

I'm always safe from these accusations as it never seems to be a surprise if I say something stupid. Raoul consistent in his line too. So must be someone who has broken ranks with their image. Kayroo obv.
                                              Thing is... I agree with Lloyd. I think the price of living in a civilised society and doing well from it is to contribute to the maintenance of those who have not been so fortunate. I think housing is a basic right that the State has an obligation to provide to people if they are unable to obtain it themselves. I also know that any system that provides like that will have a certain amount of people who seem to take advantage of it and that really they are the price that is to be paid rather than the taxation, which people of means should contribute gladly. I think stigmatising people who rely upon the social safety net is a pernicious form of "othering" that is used by parties of all colours to hide the obvious gaps in their policies.

I also think that the problem of housing is more complex than most people give it credit for and any discussion around it devolves (as I accept I was guilty of doing, and as Lloyd noted we both were) into a political issue rather than a substantive one. That's a pity and it's getting in the way of real discussion on what will likely be the main issue for most Irish people for some time.
                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

You've got me and rigger to thank for that. Told him to try them or we could send him a care package if he couldnt find them lol. Have befriended him on Facebook and messenger chat to him often enough, seems a really nice guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head. I know mostly paraphrased and attributed to Churchill later, but the point is generally valid I'd say.

I'd class myself as balanced, I don't think people who are in need should be left without basic services like housing and food in a civilised society, and those who benefit from civilised society such as property rights and law & order should be willing to contribute to sustain them.

Where most of the arguments seem to lie is to the extent of how far each should go.
                                                  I don't think you can do better than the simple societal philosophy that those of us who are able have both rights and responsibilities. And the two should be in balance and co-existant.

Too often, we see that balance being tilted too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I looked into studies on this before:

The general consensus is that it is that societies have progressively gotten more liberal.
                                                    Yeah, it's undeniably true. And a good thing. Most 30-50 y/os alive now would have a totally different mindset to social mores than their parents when they were the same age. In fact, when you meet someone of your age who expresses reactionary-type views, you always get a bit of a shock and then remember that those views were the norm 30 or 40 years ago.

The other thing that happens though as you get older (and especially as you progress career-wise) is you necessarily become more pragmatic, more solution-focussed and less idealistic.

Thus, I'd be fairly amazed if 90% of 15 year olds didn't think Communism was a great idea.
                                                    When you get to 30 however, the scales of idealism fall from your eyes and you can say 'yeah, that never fucking worked and it never will fucking work.'.

Comment

Comment

Those look like Nordie Taytos?
                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I don't think you can do better than the simple societal philosophy that those of us who are able have both rights and responsibilities. And the two should be in balance and co-existant.

Too often, we see that balance being tilted too far.
                                                          I think perception v reality is a big issue here.

People have strong views with little real information, people's perceptions of how much tax is raised, where it comes from, where it goes, how much is spent on health, how many immigrants are in the country, vs reality etc etc.

Doesn't help you've professional WUM like Paul Murphy.

Comment

To my shame, I've never really looked up what Communism actually is. Probably like most people. Apart from having a general idea that resources are shared and benefits reasonably equal, but I guess its quite a bit more intricate than that.
                                                            I get a lol out of this guy.

https://selfcertified.wordpress.com/...d-why-its-not/

Comment

US covid deaths will go past their death toll in WW1 this weekend.

Another one to ponder silently for a minute. Speaking of the military, I see that Very Weak Overrated general came out very apologetically about his participation in the Trump nonsense in front of that church. That's something you almost never see in the US chain of command.

Comment

To my shame, I've never really looked up what Communism actually is. Probably like most people. Apart from having a general idea that resources are shared and benefits reasonably equal, but I guess its quite a bit more intricate than that.
                                                                I am no expert myself, my brother is but he isn't here to teach us. This ELI5 will do.

"Communism is a moneyless, stateless, & classless envisioning of society. Under communism there is no "private property" as there is today. Instead communists believe in a form of "personal property" that is determined by use of an object (as opposed to abstract ownership).

For instance: a house. If you eat, sleep, and just generally live in a house it is yours. You own it because you use it. That is your personal property. A house becomes private property when you no longer live in it, but still maintain ownership over it and charge others for the right to use it (in other words, renting property).

Communism rejects the concept of private property and it's effects on society, the economy, and production. They support common ownership of the means of production (anything that is used to produce a commodity) and of natural resources.

tl;dr Communism is a stateless, moneyless, and classless. No private property. Common ownership of the means of production."

"There are actually many different theories of Communism, and they are pretty different. But they all grow out of the teachings of Karl Marx. Marx believed (to simplify) that one of the really important parts of achieving a socialist state was that the people had to own all of the things that made things (capital) collectively, rather than letting individuals own factories, farms, and things like that, which would allow them to become richer and buy more factories and farms. Marx's vision of pure Communism actually required massive technological advances so that we were living in a world of extreme abundance, so that everyone could have anything they needed without anyone else not having it. What most people think of as a 'Communist State' would be seen by a pure Marxist as an intermediary step on the way to real Communism – where the very ideas of capital, class, economies, etc. all disappear, because we don't need them anymore."

Comment

Yeah, it's undeniably true. And a good thing. Most 30-50 y/os alive now would have a totally different mindset to social mores than their parents when they were the same age. In fact, when you meet someone of your age who expresses reactionary-type views, you always get a bit of a shock and then remember that those views were the norm 30 or 40 years ago.

The other thing that happens though as you get older (and especially as you progress career-wise) is you necessarily become more pragmatic, more solution-focussed and less idealistic.

Thus, I'd be fairly amazed if 90% of 15 year olds didn't think Communism was a great idea.
                                                                  When you get to 30 however, the scales of idealism fall from your eyes and you can say 'yeah, that never fucking worked and it never will fucking work.'.
                                                                  I don't think I can imagine what the scales of idealism before the eyes of a 29 year old RD3 might have looked like

Comment

Opr Is there an app called Vrtify available on it?

A live gig app I had on the Samsung headset. There wasn't much content on it but there was a Gorillaz and a The XX gig up there and they were mind blowing.

Gorillaz one was a straight forward gig where you were up on stage beside the band one minute then out in the crowd the next. They had VR cameras set up in four or five locations. The XX one was seriously mind blowing though, they used the tech in really clever ways. Very difficult to describe the experience, was something totally new and absolutely amazing.
                                                                    From a quick browse on the store, there seems to be a few apps doing something like you describe. I haven't tried them before for that type of experience. I know most people for that stuff use youtube to watch 360 videos of gigs where they have a huge amount of content when I just looked now and it sounds similar to what you are describing but again I haven't actually given one a go yet. Sounds cool and I certainly will. They have all sorts of meetup things, conferences, and talks that take place in VR but all that stuff is still in the infancy. They have a big screen cinema app too where they schedule films and you can watch them with an audience all in VR. Some small bands do similar for live gigs just to try and gain a bit fo traction.

The PokerStars app for VR is an attempt at this kind of social gathering thing in VR. They have obviously put a decent amount of money into development as it looks and feels like one best environment currently on offer. You get transported to the lobby of Casino. You have to walk up a certain area to get some free chips. Along the way, there are loads of people just chatting away in the lobbies and corridors. When I was standing to wait for some free chips I could overhear a conversation near me just two people casually chatting about there day at work. All a bit mad. Then you press a button on your wristwatch and it brings up a 3D screen with the games that are running. You pick one and are transported to the table of your choice with a load of other players sitting around playing poker in VR.

Comment

Bought one of those Insta360 Cameras a few weeks ago for work. Made some fab looking walkaround videos and been getting great response on them.
                                                                      I had one of the Samsung Oculus headsets with my last phone and it have me an awful headache watching stuff on it for any length of time.
                                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart
                                                                          6Star...not only are you killing me... You're harming him, would do him good to be....

Comment

I don't think I can imagine what the scales of idealism before the eyes of a 29 year old RD3 might have looked like
                                                                            you're not known for your imagination though

what was I doing at 29...probably had just met Mrs D3 at that stage

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

Oh Yeah!, Got a leg of Lambay lamb last autumn from a guy who knows a guy on Lambay, Not a big fan of lamb at all but it was good.
                                                                              Whats regrettable about learning this from the internet?. Maybe in written form you might have read more in detail?.
                                                                              Regrettable in contradistinction to learning about it from a real life tour of the island (which is / was possible) whereupon I chanced across a wallaby, was amazed, and called it a kangaroo. What was the last animal you saw in real life that you didn't know existed until you saw it? I think mine was a red panda in a zoo.

Comment

Is there any decent VR sexual experience apps? I speak for the 99% of the world that is waiting for this to be sorted out before considering it a viable investment of my hard-earned* money

* may not be true
                                                                                The companies pouring the most money into VR is the porn industry. They are certainly the ones at the forefront of pushing the real video capabilities. For anyone who had never seen a porn scene in a good virtual headset, I think the experience is way beyond what they think it might be at this stage.

Comment

Is there any decent VR sexual experience apps? I speak for the 99% of the world that is waiting for this to be sorted out before considering it a viable investment of my hard-earned* money

* may not be true
                                                                                  *Cut version of clip, will try find full version

Full version on Facebook, drags it out like all his jokes but...

https://m.facebook.com/bbccomedy/vid...3233112442491/

Last edited by Guest; 12-06-20, 16:12.

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

Great! Although seems to cut off at the critical point.
                                                                                        Watch the Facebook link

Comment

Jaysus, RD - wait till you get to 60-odd (and I mean odd - happens to most of us, sadly)!

Comment

RD, thought I had "quoted" your post about how 15-yr-olds think Communism is great etc - but it didn't show above. Sorry, that's what my post was replying to (dammit - never end a sentence with a preposition!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rahenyrhythm View Post
                                                                                              Jaysus, RD - wait till you get to 60-odd (and I mean odd - happens to most of us, sadly)!
                                                                                              it sure beats the alternative

Comment

Is Hectorjelly a bit of a Benjamin Button then?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                  Is Hectorjelly a bit of a Benjamin Button then?
                                                                                                  Should have been strangled at birth ?

Comment

Queues for Penney's starting at 4 in morning

Fuck socialism, society needs to fail, I'm switching sides!

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                      Queues for Penney's starting at 4 in morning

Fuck socialism, society needs to fail, I'm switching sides!
                                                                                                      When did you grow that nice new beard ?

In the queue at Penny's.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                              Not exactly sure his pension was a viable target for the creditors?
                                                                                                              But yeah he kinda revels in the infamy
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Biden doubling down on BunkerBoy.

I just seen you already posted. This race is going to be some theatre

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Not exactly sure his pension was a viable target for the creditors?
                                                                                                                  But yeah he kinda revels in the infamy
                                                                                                                  I don't know but I think we can all agree, fuck him.

Comment

Dave Chappelle.

Holy fuck.
                                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Dave Chappelle.

Holy fuck.
                                                                                                                      Is this in reference to the 8:46 special? I haven't watched it yet.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of those 360 3D videos. I think the quality may have annoyed me when I last tried VR last but some of the stuff on youtube is really good with much-improved quality. I got lost watching some gigs and other cool stuff for a few hours tonight on youtube.

Comment

Is this in reference to the 8:46 special? I haven't watched it yet.
                                                                                                                        Yeah. It's raw, powerful stuff.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of those 360 3D videos. I think the qufality may have annoyed me when I last tried VR last but some of the stuff on youtube is really good with much-improved quality. I got lost watching some gigs and other cool stuff for a few hours tonight on youtube.
                                                                                                                        Ah that's cool to hear. It sounds like an awesome piece of kit. That poker room experience you posted about earlier just blew my mind. Especially the bit about hearing conversations of other people at the cash desk.

​​​​​​The possibilities of this tech, holy shit.
                                                                                                                        ​​​​​​
                                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I've never had a Netflix subscription, but it always seems to be disappointing when I flick through it. Just yards and yards of junk and a feeling of choice overload.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X