This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I think we can fairly remove all folks written in the history books as "Occupation: Slave Trader", and then work on setting some rules.
    We run into trouble straight away here.

There was a fairly well-known slave owner called G Washington. Do we rename the capital of the USA to Trumpville DC?
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      I'd like to think it's at least possible to improve on the judgement of whoever was in charge when they decided to put statues of slave owners up everywhere.
      Again, context.

Nobody in their right mind would propose memorialising a slave trader today. A hundred years ago, people would hardly have blinked at the notion.

Comment

The story of Jebediah Springfield should be all you need to know about the folly of building statues

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Presumably shitloads. The whole Empire thing.

But like I asked earlier, where do you stop? Is Queen Victoria OK, but not King Leopold?
          Do you ban Huckleberry Finn?

History happened within the context of its time. We can therefore contextualise it. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a kind of historical mob rule.
          Presumably Washington will be renamed sometime soon.

Comment

There was a fairly well-known slave owner called G Washington. Do we rename the capital of the USA to Trumpville DC?
            Amerigo Vespucci too was a slave raider.

Should America itself be renamed now? I like Trumpland (might as well rebrand the whole place).

Comment

Oh bollix, Canada also needs a rebrand. The Iroquois were also slavers.

Trumpland North?

Comment

I don't know about the statue-toppling. It seems like modern-day iconoclasm.

These things are part of our shared history
                As is their removal!

Comment

Goddammit! The fecking Nahuatal were the most brutal slavers of all.

That's Mexico renamed too. Trumpland South.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

In time these places might be renamed

Cuntsville to NotCuntsville, HorriblePrick town to LessOfAPrick town

If they are they are...

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

As is their removal!
                        It doesn't change history.

You can see from my little fun exercise above that once you start digging into it, slavery was pretty much endemic everywhere. So topple the statues sure, but then you equally have to rename all those places.

Start with Washington.

Comment

Comment

Again, context.

Nobody in their right mind would propose memorialising a slave trader today. A hundred years ago, people would hardly have blinked at the notion.
                            Well, in 1920 you'd like to think people would blink a little bit - but regardless, I'm not convinced there is some magic line in the past before which we're stuck with whatever statue of whatever questionable character was erected by some other questionable character. Reasonable people might find it conceivable to agree there's a line somewhere between replacing statues of gowls and renaming America.

It's possible that if we took a less cowardly stance than 'it was put up in the past and I don't feel comfortable making any moral judgement about it from here in the present' that people could reach a consensus without getting to the point where everybody's mad as hell and decide to rip it down and fuck it in the river.

EDIT: 1920, not 1929
                            Last edited by Keane; 09-06-20, 22:06.

Comment

A simple rule that lets Washington off the hook and whatever obscure artifact Raoul scurried off to find about Canada.
                              And Mexico.

And America.

I mean if we're going to eradicate all historical memory of slavery, aim big ffs. No-one had ever heard of Bristol Slaver Guy before this week.

Comment

Have something published on my research coming out tomorrow in a newspaper, so went to look up the newspaper to see if I could fit it into the interview tomorrow as a last-minute sign of 'relevance' (the absolute bane of academics). Turns out it is the highest circulation French-language newspaper in the world with 2.5 million readers. Would anyone like to speculate without googling what the newspaper is, as its maybe not the first choice you'd pick? As happenstance would have it the reporter himself had spent a few years in Cork and wouldn't hear a word against the city despite my best efforts.
                                Would have said Le Monde but clearly not.

Something in Francophone Africa?

Comment

Comment

I suspect though its impossible to have European social housing without European taxes.
                                    Plenty of scope to increase property taxes, inheritance tax and employers PRSI. I think that is where the biggest gaps are between us and Europe.

But wait......... farmers.
                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I would be interested in Denny's thoughts on the Trump/Biden betting line
                                      Still hoping for something on this? Not meant as a dig or anything in the least, you're just normally on the ball w.r.t political betting stuff and taking the 'hope-casting' element out of it

Comment

a bit whiter... well possibly the whitest place imaginable.
                                        Something Canadian? The Daily Quebecer or something!

Comment

Have something published on my research coming out tomorrow in a newspaper, so went to look up the newspaper to see if I could fit it into the interview tomorrow as a last-minute sign of 'relevance' (the absolute bane of academics). Turns out it is the highest circulation French-language newspaper in the world with 2.5 million readers. Would anyone like to speculate without googling what the newspaper is, as its maybe not the first choice you'd pick? As happenstance would have it the reporter himself had spent a few years in Cork and wouldn't hear a word against the city despite my best efforts.
                                          Is it the equivalent of the commuter free-sheet Metro? Possibly called Le Metro though they probably came up with a better name.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Yep all of those. Plus that everyone should pay substantial social charges, no exceptions, whether you earn 100k a year or 1k a year. Although for people on lower-income they would need an increase in the minimum wage to compensate for this as couldn't fairly lower their current incomes. E.g. increase minimum wage from 10 euro an hour to 15 euro an hour and say that half of that increase is social charges. Everyone has to pay and this nonsense of 40% of people not paying anything is madness.
                                                Would have to decrease nasty consumption taxes then.
                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Armanijeans must be stopped from continuing to post in a larger font size. This simply cannot stand!

Comment

I suspect though its impossible to have European social housing without European taxes.
                                                    You can be sitting on a lot of natural resources

Comment

Still hoping for something on this? Not meant as a dig or anything in the least, you're just normally on the ball w.r.t political betting stuff and taking the 'hope-casting' element out of it
                                                      I don't know would be my answer. I haven't looked at it at all this year, or really thought about it. There's more outside forces, it's going to be tougher to have conviction, and it;s going to be a lot less fun to follow than last time. Obama was a slam duck bet for reelection, Trump nomination, and Trump overall at 4/1+ were also slam ducks, I don't think I'm gonna find a spot like that this year. (1/5 Biden for popular vote seems at least 2x what it should be, but there's no liquidity in that market)

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                        @Tar and others looking at buying a house in Dublin. Is there any scenario where you consider moving away from Dublin? Is it quality of life, family, amenities, culture and career opportunities that holds you there?
                                                        I'd never live in the country (quality of life / amenities ) so it's either Dublin, London or the US for me I think (Barcelona if I could remote work for good money). What's traditionally held me in Dublin has been relationships, having a lot of friends here and really liking my job (as well as laziness and inertia). A lot of what I value in life is friendships and relationships and I have a lot going on here, so it's a case of I have a lot of what I want. Not to mention football, board gaming, vegan, dancing, climbing meetups etc. For the job, I'm good at it, low pressure, short hours, pays well. So some of me is like why bother changing that and another is like, well will you just do this forever? Boring.

A couple of my brothers live in London (was meant to go modelling suits there recently, damn you covid!) and was thinking of moving and buying there a while back but was still really enjoying my job and my gf is eastern european (so cant live in UK soon I guess, plus is trying to find her footing on what she wants to do in life so another move so soon would be shit) and before that my gf was Brazilian and had a social media business based on living in Dublin so they both either couldn't or didn't want to live in London, so I put it to the back of my mind. I may still go there nevertheless but am enjoying getting to know her, so no rush and I will discuss with her. As for the US I would earn 3 or 4 times my wages and I still think it's such a grim place to live so don't really want to now I think. Though NY would be nice for a while.
                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 10-06-20, 01:49.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                          Went on a deep dive into Irish activist twitters response to #carrigaline and the blm protests.

really depressing stuff just extremist race baiting grifters on both sides. The right wing openly racist ones (rightly) aren’t given airtime on our national broadcaster but some of the left wing ones are
                                                          NGO sector needs a machete taken to it as part of the covid budget adjustments, 6BN a year there for the taking, just eliminate the duplication first and go from there

Comment

I kind of doubt this tbh
                                                            Is there not something like 70% home ownership in Ireland? Combined with whatever the % of social houses is and children/family who can reasonably expect to inherit a home and people who are planning to live in another country and I think the point is fair.

That's not to say that there isn't a very vocal minority who are very concerned about housing or that there shouldn't be policies in place to help alleviate any housing issues people may have.

I think the reality though, in Ireland of today at least, is that there isn't the political will to take the steps necessary to do so. That political will is driven by the impact it will have in an election and that is driven by the realities that people don't want a home. They want a perfect house, with a nice garden, 5 minutes from their friends and family, close to the local schools and facilities and ideally for a price that allows them to still buy all the gadgets and things they want while enjoying two holidays a year and having a car for every adult in the house.

No party in the country can deliver that, at best they can move to Euro model of apartment living and even that would take years of building to deliver numbers, all the while the people that voted for the party to do that building would be complaining about having to live in apartments.
                                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                              I'd never live in the country (quality of life / amenities ) so it's either Dublin, London or the US for me I think (Barcelona if I could remote work for good money). What's traditionally held me in Dublin has been relationships, having a lot of friends here and really liking my job (as well as laziness and inertia). A lot of what I value in life is friendships and relationships and I have a lot going on here, so it's a case of I have a lot of what I want. Not to mention football, board gaming, vegan, dancing, climbing meetups etc. For the job, I'm good at it, low pressure, short hours, pays well. So some of me is like why bother changing that and another is like, well will you just do this forever? Boring.

A couple of my brothers live in London (was meant to go modelling suits there recently, damn you covid!) and was thinking of moving and buying there a while back but was still really enjoying my job and my gf is eastern european (so cant live in UK soon I guess, plus is trying to find her footing on what she wants to do in life so another move so soon would be shit) and before that my gf was Brazilian so they both either couldnt or didnt want to live in London. I may still go there nevertheless but am enjoying getting to know her, so no rush and I will discuss with her. As for the US I would earn 3 or 4 times my wages and I still think it's such a grim place to live so don't really want to now I think. Though NY would be nice for a while.
                                                              NY might actually be an option for me, as in to relocate there for 3-4 years. Would be financially rewarding for sure.

I love visiting but fairly ambiguous about whether I would actually want to live there. Similar feelings about London.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

Is there not something like 70% home ownership in Ireland? Combined with whatever the % of social houses is and children/family who can reasonably expect to inherit a home and people who are planning to live in another country and I think the point is fair.

That's not to say that there isn't a very vocal minority who are very concerned about housing or that there shouldn't be policies in place to help alleviate any housing issues people may have.

I think the reality though, in Ireland of today at least, is that there isn't the political will to take the steps necessary to do so. That political will is driven by the impact it will have in an election and that is driven by the realities that people don't want a home. They want a perfect house, with a nice garden, 5 minutes from their friends and family, close to the local schools and facilities and ideally for a price that allows them to still buy all the gadgets and things they want while enjoying two holidays a year and having a car for every adult in the house.

No party in the country can deliver that, at best they can move to Euro model of apartment living and even that would take years of building to deliver numbers, all the while the people that voted for the party to do that building would be complaining about having to live in apartments.
                                                                Nail on head there, room to improve and lifestyle supplements in the likes of the indo have a lot to answer for

Comment

Comment

For music fans the world over irrespective of genre

sorry CC it's a FB link

Comment

NY might actually be an option for me, as in to relocate there for 3-4 years. Would be financially rewarding for sure.

I love visiting but fairly ambiguous about whether I would actually want to live there. Similar feelings about London.
                                                                      can't speak for NY but London is an amazing city to live in. so much to see and do, and really important for me, parks everywhere with acres and acres of open spaces

Comment

As a home owner myself I'm quite interested in housing policy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm obviously roaring into a storm here but is there any rationale as to why 70% home ownership translates into 'most people don't give a shit about housing'? Note - I have expressed no position on what policy should be followed or who's the worst party at housing.

TBH it looks like people give so many shits they literally can't read the posts they're replying to so anxious are they to get their two cents in

Comment

There may be 70% residual home ownership, but the percentage of this generation and the last who end up owning their own home is below that average and ever decreasing. That is coupled with the proceeds of family homes increasingly swallowed up by end of life care costs.

Irish people may have unrealistic expectations around property, but it would be incorrect to argue that the housing and infrastructure landscape in Dublin is fit for purpose. There's a ticking time bomb here, and it will only become an even bigger political issue imo. FG seem to have been blindsided by it in February and I can see why given the view on the issue from their supporters as articulated above. As Tar says, the it's a topic of strife and frustration for the generations behind you, rightly or wrongly.

To Glyn's question on the government formation and snap election: I think either suits SF just fine. I think they are likely to expand on their seats in another election, and will end up as the main opposition party for the coming five years in either scenario. FF are in a dreadful situation and I don't really know how the Greens think this will play out if they end up being blamed for bringing it back to the electorate. Ideally a program for government will be agreed this week and we'll get a bit of certainty.
                                                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I know it's your name, but I'd be concerned that people might confuse you with Maxwell photography. http://maxwellphotography.ie/
                                                                            I'd hope that people would be able to discern between the two different sites, no concern on my part.

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post

Looks good Danny.
                                                                            Would like to be able to click on a pic and make it bigger.
                                                                            Recommend using the kidpoker photo as your avatar here.
                                                                            Best of luck with it.

On a separate note, it's nice to see Bubbleking is alive and well.
                                                                            I did have that option enabled but removed it as I wasn't a fan, it's a working progress.

Thanks for the feedback

P.S hello BubbleKing

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Order a new fridge, unpacked older decrepit fridge. 2 men arrive, hmmmm, this is a 4 man job to get this up the stairs. We’ll have to come back with 4 men , we’ll let you know when we can come back. A call is made, for today. I was told to remove the bannisters in advance as the 4 men couldn’t get the fridge up those stairs. This morning I remove bannisters, TWO men arrive. Hmmmm, 4 man job but we can’t have 4 due to social distancing. WTF. So I’ve to reattached the bannisters. I rang up head office, and got chatting to a pleasant type of lad. Sez I I’m afraid our relationship is off as I can’t even get ye to come upstairs, he giggled and offered me some more suitable models that are easier to get upstairs. I said, normally I don’t give a blind feck what fridge we have but the missus wants this one and tbh your comms is pretty bad if you already knew it was a 4 man job and only sent TWO again. Also ye told us to unpack the old fridge for scrap. If we’ve had done that we’d have nothing now.

Fridge is silver, old fridge is white.

Comment

As a home owner myself I'm quite interested in housing policy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm obviously roaring into a storm here but is there any rationale as to why 70% home ownership translates into 'most people don't give a shit about housing'? Note - I have expressed no position on what policy should be followed or who's the worst party at housing.

TBH it looks like people give so many shits they literally can't read the posts they're replying to so anxious are they to get their two cents in
                                                                                tbf the post I quoted from you literally said 'I doubt this is true tbh' and I postulated some reasons for why it might be true.

I think RDIII was speaking about housing policies and the availability of housing as opposed to housing as a general concept. If 70% of people own a home and another x% have a home for life through social services and another x% stand to inherit a home and yet a futher x% don't plan on staying in Ireland then I think it's fair to assume that housing policies and the availability of housing are low on their bug bear list.

If anything most have a vested interest in keeping prices high.

As regards policy and which party is worse, my only position is that I don't believe there is a party that can currently fix the situation in a way that the vocal element on housing would be happy with.

Comment

Just reading there that the second season of The Politician is out on netfilx on friday week. I don't know how many of you watched it but I found it very enjoyable. I'd recommend it to all.
                                                                                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

There may be 70% residual home ownership, but the percentage of this generation and the last who end up owning their own home is below that average and ever decreasing. That is coupled with the proceeds of family homes increasingly swallowed up by end of life care costs.

Irish people may have unrealistic expectations around property, but it would be incorrect to argue that the housing and infrastructure landscape in Dublin is fit for purpose. There's a ticking time bomb here, and it will only become an even bigger political issue imo. FG seem to have been blindsided by it in February and I can see why given the view on the issue from their supporters as articulated above. As Tar says, the it's a topic of strife and frustration for the generations behind you, rightly or wrongly.

To Glyn's question on the government formation and snap election: I think either suits SF just fine. I think they are likely to expand on their seats in another election, and will end up as the main opposition party for the coming five years in either scenario. FF are in a dreadful situation and I don't really know how the Greens think this will play out if they end up being blamed for bringing it back to the electorate. Ideally a program for government will be agreed this week and we'll get a bit of certainty.
                                                                                    I'm not sure if FG's supporters feel the same way as I articulated, it's simply my position on it.

I also don't disagree that there is an element of a (not two, I'm not that old) generation behind me that feels that they've been hard done by..I don't agree with them necessarily but everyone is entitled to an opinion and if they feel they have been hard done by, nothing I am going to say is likely to change that feeling. That generation is more or less the vocal minority I spoke of. Will they always be a minority? Undoubtedly not, but that has as much to do with how the population is changing in terms of socio-economic split as it does age profile imo.

I also didn't suggest that the housing and infrastructure was fit for purpose, in fact I specifically said that there was a need to change the landscape, but that cuts two ways. There is also a need for people to change their outlook and position on what a 'home' looks like, and to hitch's earlier point, what that looks like in terms of taxes and charges. I don't believe there's an easy solution and I don't believe that as things stand any particular party has a better answer than the rest.

The subject of costs being swallowed by end of life care is prime example of the above, in order to avoid this happening there is a need for a different taxation and charging structure throughout life. Care needs to be funded, how that funding happens is up for debate. There seems to be a correlation between those shouting for better/cheaper housing and those shouting for lower/less taxes..(I admit this is an outsiders view based on little evidence other than what I see/read/hear)

Pay more in taxes and to the state and the state can provide better options for housing and care, pay less in taxes and to the state and you must needs privately fund housing and care.

Comment

Look we are being encouraged to grow our own food but we are not allowed water the garden any more because the absolute morons who claim to be socialists refused to allow people pay consumption charges for water. These are the same people who claim 'Know how to fix housing' through so loaves and fishes miracle of pay no tax and get subsidised housing in return

The cost rental model the Greens are proposing might be transferable to the real world but it will depend on them being willing to not oppose every fucking permission that is more than three stories between the Canals and the M50.
                                                                                      The reality is that the housing crisis as it existed in the lead up to GE2020 is no longer what it was and we don't have much of a clue yet how its going to look in even 2-3 years from now.
                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...

Comment

Did that Dublin interview just there. Seemed to go spiffingly well, but lets see if thats enough. Hung up the call and then started shaking like a mad thing. Didn't feel any nerves during the whole thing, so must have been holding everything in reserve.
                                                                                          Good luck!

Comment

There's a lot of people out there who want everything handed to them on a plate. They want to go out and drink a couple of nights a week, dine in top restaurants weekly, have their expensive holidays, drive brand new cars which they are paying monthly for and then expect that we'll make it easy for them to buy a house.
                                                                                            How about you don't drink, don't eat in restaurants, no holidays and buy an older car with cash and save your money for two years. I'm sure most would be in position to get a mortgage if they did that.
                                                                                            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                              There's a lot of people out there who want everything handed to them on a plate. They want to go out and drink a couple of nights a week, dine in top restaurants weekly, have their expensive holidays, drive brand new cars which they are paying monthly for and then expect that we'll make it easy for them to buy a house.
                                                                                              How about you don't drink, don't eat in restaurants, no holidays and buy an older car with cash and save your money for two years. I'm sure most would be in position to get a mortgage if they did that.
                                                                                              It honestly amazes me how often people who express this view are excoriated by others as being mean-spirited, conservative hate-mongers. How is this a controversial opinion??
                                                                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

It honestly amazes me how often people who express this view are excoriated by others as being mean-spirited, conservative hate-mongers. How is this a controversial opinion??
                                                                                                I honestly don't know how anybody could be against that opinion. I had to do it myself, and it took me three years as I had a little bit of hard luck. I think some are looking at friends who have studied hard and worked hard and ended up earning good money for all their hard work and want the same as them without putting in the work. Will imo you can go shag off if you are not willing to put in the hard work or sacrifice to get money together.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Well, it’s probably controversial because it’s not really true. It certainly suits the cohort of the population motivated ‘to keep housing prices high’ to push the narrative that generations behind them looking to hop on the ladder are lazy and entitled and so on.

Meanwhile, the data released by the Central Bank yesterday indicates that a significant portion of FTBs are inheriting or being gifted at least some of their deposit. Everyone wants to think they are self made of course, but it often isn’t the full story.

"Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Part of the point of making all those changes is to show that you can make the repayments if something bad should happen and you either take a dip in earnings or a hike in costs.

I had thought that when we finally got our house we would be able to loosen the purse strings and still save a bit without much thought. Turns out owning a house costs as much as saving a deposit for one especially when your wife wants to fill it with babies.

Comment

Well, it’s probably controversial because it’s not really true. It certainly suits the cohort of the population motivated ‘to keep housing prices high’ to push the narrative that generations behind them looking to hop on the ladder are lazy and entitled and so on.

Meanwhile, the data released by the Central Bank yesterday indicates that a significant portion of FTBs are inheriting or being gifted at least some of their deposit. Everyone wants to think they are self made of course, but it often isn’t the full story.
                                                                                                        which country would you hold up as a model for us to follow in terms of policy here?

Comment

It's a bit of a double edged sword though Lloyd, people graduating today (COVID excluded) have the highest chance of a decent job and staying in Ireland, not expected to emigrate for work, can get university education for free (basically), and the population more generally lives longer. So with more people staying and prospects improving you're going to have a natural reduction in available supply as the cohort of people who can afford a €200k house has significantly increased. Likewise you have a much higher labour force participation rate for married women and a much higher prevalence of same sex cohabitants which means every desirable house is competed on by two-income households. That has obvious impacts on affordability for FTBs.

What we've also done is increase the overall standard of living, and (imo more importantly) increased awareness of the standard of living of those around us through social media and higher exposure that many people's aspirations for housing are unrealistic. As Iago said earlier, if we were to build 20,000 apartment which could safely house all of those on waiting lists, direct provision and temporary accommodation there would still be complaints that they weren't of a sufficient standard or that they've kids who need a garden etc.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

The problem is: its really really really hard. You have this long-term objective, but you also want to live your life. You're tired, so you order a take-in, you're exhausted of working so you go on a night out. We have these constant battles between short-term and long-term. You look at the hassle that parents go through and think 'man, I want to enjoy my money now before all that shit starts happening'. All life stuff.

What's worked for us since moving to France is this state saving account that takes money out immediately and then under no circumstances can you remove the money without actually shutting down the account. Pays a decent interest rate as compensation. Works brilliant as the money is just gone at the beginning of the month and can't be considered in any circumstance. So you make do with what is left.

What's dodgy about the similar Irish accounts is that normally you can touch the money, as so you know its always there. It's not people being weak, its just human nature. An alcoholic wouldn't litter their house with bottles of whiskey, yet people have some of the same relationship with money and walk around with the weapon of a bank card in their pocket all the time. We need self-restraint tools.
                                                                                                                We do: pension contributions, which the government effectively gives you a 40% bonus on

And you keep V in robot lawnmowers and handmade leather gloves.

Comment

Well, I'm not entirely sure it's untrue Lloyd and I'd like to see data either way. I accept mine is anecdotal so not great and the Central Bank data doesn't just cut the way you've interpreted it. It more so backs up GL2ME's post.

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Well I'm the eldest of six. I never got a penny from anybody. I had to work hard and save hard to get on the property ladder. Now at 50 I've finally gotten myself a family home that I want. I had to make do with lesser properties but it was better to be paying off a mortgage than renting so I did that.
                                                                                                                    I moved to the US for four years when I was younger to make money. I worked two jobs starting out for the first two years to get myself in a good spot. I was thinking strongly of staying over there but family won out and got me back over here. I then put the head down and saved hard for three years and had a good deposit and bought with a big mortgage.
                                                                                                                    Now I'm at the other end of it. I've gotten a small mortgage with this house that I'll have paid off in three years when some of my investments mature. I'm interested now in a second house but it's an investment. I want to rent it out and make the money back in 15-20 years so that my kids have something to help them down the road.

Yes there are many who get help from their parents or other relatives but you can also be self-made, it just takes focus, determination, discipline and hard work. If you haven't studied hard and worked your way into a decent paying job or worked two jobs to make up the difference then you don't deserve anything imo. An awful lot of people had to struggle to get to own their own house and pay it off. Nobody ever said it was easy. If you can't save it with the your job then either get a better job or get a second job. There's no such thing as being stuck in a bad job with no outlook.

It really annoys me to hear the likes of Mary Lou McDonald talking about how the wasters of our society need more help. This country gives far too much to them already. I'm paying about 300 euro more in tax per week than I was in 2007 but poor Paddy who never worked a day in his life should get more and take it off me in more taxes.

Oh and this bollocks about a United Ireland, that showed up Pearse Doherty and SF for the bluffers they are with the figures they claimed it would cost.

Comment

The problem is: its really really really hard. You have this long-term objective, but you also want to live your life. You're tired, so you order a take-in, you're exhausted of working so you go on a night out. We have these constant battles between short-term and long-term. You look at the hassle that parents go through and think 'man, I want to enjoy my money now before all that shit starts happening'. All life stuff.

What's worked for us since moving to France is this state saving account that takes money out immediately and then under no circumstances can you remove the money without actually shutting down the account. Pays a decent interest rate as compensation. Works brilliant as the money is just gone at the beginning of the month and can't be considered in any circumstance. So you make do with what is left.

What's dodgy about the similar Irish accounts is that normally you can touch the money, as so you know its always there. It's not people being weak, its just human nature. An alcoholic wouldn't litter their house with bottles of whiskey, yet people have some of the same relationship with money and walk around with the weapon of a bank card in their pocket all the time. We need self-restraint tools.
                                                                                                                      I was't aware of the French thing, it's very good. I wish we had that here.
                                                                                                                      Well credit cards are the disaster. I just don't understand why people want to consistently spend money they don't have on frivolous stuff. Do people never learn from their past idiocy? I don't have a credit card, I had one about 20 years ago but didn't use it much.
                                                                                                                      I don't really want to get into what I'd do but it's pretty clear to me that a hell of a lot of dole money is making it's way into the pockets of drug dealers and publicans. I think we have to find a way to not give cash to people on welfare, instead give them a card and at least that way we can follow their spending. It'd make it a lot easier for the authorities for track down money spent on illegal stuff too.
                                                                                                                      As for a big family, well you had an input into that decision.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I was't aware of the French thing, it's very good. I wish we had that here.
                                                                                                                          Well credit cards are the disaster. I just don't understand why people want to consistently spend money they don't have on frivolous stuff. Do people never learn from their past idiocy? I don't have a credit card, I had one about 20 years ago but didn't use it much.
                                                                                                                          I don't really want to get into what I'd do but it's pretty clear to me that a hell of a lot of dole money is making it's way into the pockets of drug dealers and publicans. I think we have to find a way to not give cash to people on welfare, instead give them a card and at least that way we can follow their spending. It'd make it a lot easier for the authorities for track down money spent on illegal stuff too.
                                                                                                                          As for a big family, well you had an input into that decision.

the real wasters in the financial industry have been busy making sure that you and yours will be experiencing financial pain for a long time to come

told you we should have hung them in 2008
                                                                                                                          The U.S. financial system could be on the cusp of calamity. This time, we might not be able to save it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X