Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Reading Truman Capote In Cold Blood at the moment, and it's just the most beautifully written book. Every sentence seems perfect like you are gliding through the story. Don't know quite how he does it. Nothing even slightly pretensious in the writing, no excessive words, just perfectly crafted.
    There's some interesting enough Capote talk show interviews on YouTube. Quite the cat.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
        We're now on full housebound curfew from 15:00 to 06:00 every day. Any member of the public without the necessary papers that allow them to be out post curfew (healthcare, food delivery, utilities etc) gets a fine and 21 days imprisonment if caught. Initial curfew period is for 21 days and reviewed post that but i'd imagine a full lockdown will be in place before then. Army and police on the streets each afternoon.

All fairly surreal but seems to be uniformly well received from the local population so far.
        Where is that?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
          No idea I was told by HSE I wont be retested because I am not working in Health Services.

Comment

...Gambling advertising...

... As there are no sports to watch, no horse racing to spunk money on, no live poker, in fact fucking nothing to get excited about, I am now offering you all a chance to join the IPB lotto syndicate, now in its 6th month and going spectacularly shite... For €10 a week, you will have the chance to have a share in absolute millions...

... Your only job will be to keep your balance topped up when prompted, absolutely fucking nothing else required of you!!!... link below if you want to have a look, spreadsheet on the 1st page...Join there or here, or by PM- I don't care how you get here, just get here if you can...

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
              Since you will soon be a God among men, striding majestically through the pestilence with immunity, what are you going to do with your new superhero power?

Also we need to identify you to law enforcement so they don't accost you, and people don't recoil from you. So some kind of emblem should be affixed to your outer garments. A gold star perhaps.

On that note, what helpful or useful things have people been doing or are planning to do for others?
              I'll be helping out with deliveries from my mates pharmacy at the weekend. He is trying to keep the shop as empty as possible. He was a life saver for me so it's the least I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                Got a message today from my nephew whose phd was on antibodies and immune responses in cancer and has been switched from cancer to working on this virus for a few weeks.
                NHS and Singapore MOH says otherwise m9
                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

On that note, what helpful or useful things have people been doing or are planning to do for others?
                  I haven't manslaughtered any joggers so far this week. One day at a time.
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                    I'll be helping out with deliveries from my mates pharmacy at the weekend. He is trying to keep the shop as empty as possible. He was a life saver for me so it's the least I can do.
                    They're gona call you patient 753 or some shit and you'll be the fucker in the little vids explaining what made things worse.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Why is it called 'novel coronavirus'?
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

This video was made in November.

Selected moments from the Event 201 pandemic tabletop exercise hosted by The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in partnership with the World Economic ...

Highlights as part of a 'War Games' of pandemic exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                              They're gona call you patient 753 or some shit and you'll be the fucker in the little vids explaining what made things worse.
                              video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                Why is it called 'novel coronavirus'?
                                I think the corona part was just a name somebody gave a family of virus because under the microscope it reminded them of the sun. Is the novel not just 'new', like a child before you decide on it's name?

Comment

Mentioned last week that we gave the old people next door our phone numbers in case they needed anything. Came home from my run on Saturday to find an envelope stuck on the door with a small list and €20 in it. Popped down and got their stuff for them. Left the 20 in the envelope (didn't touch it obvs), paid by card and gave it back to them, just left the shopping on the door handle, 1 small bag, and gave a knock so they knew it was there. Met the old lad out the back yesterday and he shouted thanks over the fence lol.

Comment

Became a little uncomfortable when the HSE started talking about algorithms instead of protocols.

Looks like a little bug crept into the system around the use of Boolean Operators.

Simple mistake. An OR instead of an AND.
                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Anyone watching Nationwide(Irish in NY). Did you notice how that freak holds a pen?

SPOILER
                                      Last edited by rounders123; 25-03-20, 20:04.

Comment

235 new cases and two more deaths

Comment

Looking at the Temporary COVID-19 Wage Subsidy Scheme on the revenue site
                                          To qualify for the scheme, employers must:
                                          • be experiencing significant negative economic disruption due to Covid-19
                                          • be able to demonstrate, to the satisfaction of Revenue, a minimum of a 25% decline in turnover
                                          • be unable to pay normal wages and normal outgoings fully and
                                            retain their employees on the payroll.

The Scheme is confined to employees who were on the employer’s payroll as at 29 February 2020, and for whom a payroll submission has already been made to Revenue in the period from 1 February 2020 to 15 March 2020.
                                          Anyone got any clue what the bolded bit means or how its calculated?

Ryanair have 40 Million in the bank so the scheme can't apply to them until that is all used up?
                                          A small business with say 100K in cash reserves and half a dozen employees and are closed down; will they have to use up all their reserves before they can apply the scheme

Sounds to me like its going to to exactly what its intended to prevent lead to anyone who isn't going to cost more in redundancy payments being laid off and to all sorts of exploits like breaking service etc.
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                            235 new cases and two more deaths
                                            broadly positive I guess
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Charles is in isolation with Covid 19
                                              Andrew is in isolation with Rebecca 16.

Comment

If large swathes of the population is already have already been infected is there any point in widespread testing? Boffins in Oxford suggest over 50% for Britons have contracted the virus many already have recovered.

Comment

What's more likely that 50% of Britions have contracted the virus and recovered, or their model is redonkulously bad.

Comment

Bollox to this.

Drummer Bill Rieflin is dead aged 59.

Cut his chops with Ministry and Revolting Cocks (and became an industrial music legend as a result) before moving on to the gentler assignment of REM and further out into the stratosphere as one of the three King Crimson skin's men.

Unique sound and style. RIP.

Here he is smashing up the dance floor with 1000 Homo DJs...

Album:Nativity in Black: Tribute to Black SabbathLyrics:I want to reach out and touch the skyI want to touch the sunBut I don't need to flyI'm gonna climb up...
                                                    Last edited by BennyHiFi; 25-03-20, 21:00. Reason: He didn't play on Pailhead's Trait

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                      What's more likely that 50% of Britions have contracted the virus and recovered, or their model is redonkulously bad.
                                                      Goes along with results from Iceland where 50% of confirmed cased were asymptomatic.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                        Goes along with results from Iceland where 50% of confirmed cased were asymptomatic.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/fea...ow-no-symptoms
                                                        There's 218 cases in Iceland. They're saying there's been 30,000,000 cases cured in the UK? 90%+ of tests are coming back negative.

That model doesn't pass any sort of rationality test. I'm amazed it got into the FT.
                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 25-03-20, 20:59.

Comment

More Corona good news

Comment

Someone on boards pointed out that they tested a whole town in Itay which completely disproved that theory.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                              NHS and Singapore MOH says otherwise m9
                                                              Channel 4 had a report on this tonight. The UK have purchased 3 million antibody tests but they will need to be validated to ensure they are reliable before they can be deployed. So it seems Strewelpeter's information was correct.

An announcement that the Government has ordered millions of tests to show if you've had coronavirus and have antibodies was challenged by the Chief Medical Officer just hours later as he warned the tests might not even work.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                Yes, that's exactly the one I meant. A €4.99 steal.
                                                                Have picked up a bottle of this.
                                                                Will consume and review in due course
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"At least the house will be tidier now that we're here more"....Greatest lie ever told. Place is a war zone.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                      "At least the house will be tidier now that we're here more"....Greatest lie ever told. Place is a war zone.
                                                                      Holy balls is this every true and theres only two of us.

Dishwasher on the go 24/7. Can't keep food in the place.
                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

You know you've gone down an internet rabbit hole when you google 'Bob Hawke sculling beer'.

Comment

Any other good craft beer delivery sites for Dublin other than craftcentral.ie?

Comment

Imagine what it's like when you live alone, and have barred visitors. I've put up this 'plague' sign. Am about introduce the Jizz bucket for enviromental reasons. (I didn't panic buy tissues)
                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                              White hag delivering to the door from their website. Nice range of IPAs, Little Fawn particularly agreeable and their apricot is interesting.

free delivery and you can use code LOYALTY for 20% off
                                                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                White hag delivering to the door from their website. Nice range of IPAs, Little Fawn particularly agreeable and their apricot is interesting.

free delivery and you can use code LOYALTY for 20% off
                                                                                I got your coffee. We begin brewing tomorrow. They did get deducted one point for using the strangest kind of envelope which scattered this strange asbestos-style crap everywhere when opened.

Comment

I think they're the best in Ireland. The puca is great if you're into sours.

Comment

Busy trivia:
                                                                                    1. World's busiest airport?
                                                                                    2. World's busiest shipping port?
                                                                                    3. World's busiest metro system?
                                                                                    4. World's busiest bridge? (Most vehicle journeys over it)
                                                                                    5. World's busiest museum?

I got 1/5.

Comment

Asked someone about this who is big into this scene. He says craft central has the best variety, but that https://57theheadline.com/product/beer-delivery/ does good stuff too. He also says that Whiplash will start to sell direct by the end of the week, they are setting up a webshop. That bit doesn't mean much to me, but might to you.

Comment

Was just about to write that Whiplash would be my fav of the Irish breweries. Their range of doubles are amazing. Was waiting on that news since they moved to Dublin.

Comment

Now this is a job to be proud of. Reading novels to workers in a Cuban cigar factory.
                                                                                          Perk: free cigars.
                                                                                          Must have: jaunty hat angle, speaking voice

Comment

Quiz:
                                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                                            Atlanta, Shanghai, Tokyo, Dartford, Louvre

Comment

Really horrible here in Spain, over 1300 deaths in the last 48 hours.
                                                                                              Due to shortage, patients over 65yo been taken off respirators and sedated until they die.
                                                                                              12 days into lockdown and the curve is getting steeper, the UK will not know what hits it this time next week.

Comment

Quiz:
                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                Atlanta, Shanghai, Tokyo, Dartford, Louvre
                                                                                                Yes, Yes, Yes, No, Yes.

Very good. You take the early lead.

Comment

Busy trivia:
                                                                                                  1. World's busiest airport?
                                                                                                  2. World's busiest shipping port?
                                                                                                  3. World's busiest metro system?
                                                                                                  4. World's busiest bridge? (Most vehicle journeys over it)
                                                                                                  5. World's busiest museum?

I got 1/5.
                                                                                                  SPOILER

Atlanta
                                                                                                  Rotterdam
                                                                                                  Paris
                                                                                                  No idea, Sydney Harbour as a mad guess?
                                                                                                  British Museum?

Firmly expecting 0/5 there.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                                    SPOILER

Atlanta
                                                                                                    Rotterdam
                                                                                                    Paris
                                                                                                    No idea, Sydney Harbour as a mad guess?
                                                                                                    British Museum?

Firmly expecting 0/5 there.
                                                                                                    Yes, No, No, No, No.

Is this:
                                                                                                    (a) the soundtrack to most IPBers sex lives or
                                                                                                    (b) 6stars scores?

Comment

Bridge choice was bad as it's only a bridge in one direction.

Comment

Yes, No, No, No, No.

Is this:
                                                                                                        (a) the soundtrack to most IPBers sex lives or
                                                                                                        (b) 6stars scores?
                                                                                                        (a) would surely be "yes............is that it?"

Comment

Was just about to write that Whiplash would be my fav of the Irish breweries. Their range of doubles are amazing. Was waiting on that news since they moved to Dublin.
                                                                                                          hey, I'm the person who gave Dom the info

I organised a large bulk buy from Whiplash yesterday, gave them a grand and delivered beer all over Dublin for them.

Anyway, one of the owners told me that they have a good few DIPAs and other things sitting in tanks waiting to be packaged.

They are very close with the crowd who run The Big Romance on Parnell St and through some licence finagling they are going to be able to start to sell from the brewery in volumes lower than the current allowed 21 Litre minimum that breweries are currently allowed, so keep an eye out for it.

The Dot Brew mixed box from The Headline is decent for the money.

Craft Central is the best, but Martin's in fairview is also worth a look.

Award winning family run off-licence with a carefully selected range of craft beers, fine wines and boutique Spirits.

Comment

I've used Drinkstore.ie for years, Ken and the lads are bang on. Great shout by Lloyd on White Hag too. The have a good selection on their site. Also Dead Centre brewer in Athlone just set up their store in the last few weeks: deadcentrebrewing.com. They only have a few beers on but worth a look.

Some other options for buying direct from the brewery:

Shop all things Wicklow Wolf from our exceptional core range beers to perfect glassware and sustainably sourced clothing.

Buy Irish craft beer online from Eight Degrees Brewing.

Comment

Bridge choice was bad as it's only a bridge in one direction.
                                                                                                              I never even heard of that one? I thought it might be this.

Comment

Beer wankery seems to be the new wine wankery.

Pass me a chocolate flavour Imperial Stout there Monty.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                                                  I've used Drinkstore.ie for years, Ken and the lads are bang on. Great shout by Lloyd on White Hag too. The have a good selection on their site. Also Dead Centre brewer in Athlone just set up their store in the last few weeks: deadcentrebrewing.com. They only have a few beers on but worth a look.

Some other options for buying direct from the brewery:

Shop all things Wicklow Wolf from our exceptional core range beers to perfect glassware and sustainably sourced clothing.

https://www.eightdegrees.ie/shop/
                                                                                                                  jaysis WW is fairly hit and miss

8 degrees isn't craft since they are part-owned by Pernod

Comment

Sweet Jesus, volunteering to pay the tax man money is really painful.

It seems way easier to claim money back from them than to pay them more!

Comment

Beer, Gin, Whiskey, Wine - take your pick. We've had many cycles of wankery in the last 10 years. We were definitely back as fuck.

Comment

Dartford is the M25 Thames bridge. Other direction is a tunnel.

Comment

Sierra Nevada mastered beer. No need to look beyond them imo.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X