Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    Fucking hell. How big is your car?
    Ford S-Max. With third row of seats down, that all fits easily, could definitely get another 15-20 cases in.

Roof box for clothes and other trivial shit.

I reckon when the finance gig dries up Lao Lao will give me a logistics job.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      One kid: OK
      Two kids+: not OK.

In fairness to ours, they are just about coming out of the feral state so we're working in the odd flight now.
      Must say ours are no trouble on planes or at airports. Even better when I'm doing the flying and I remind them that if they distract me we all might die.

Comment

Here's the bounty anyway, a reasonable plundering this year.

How many cases/bottles there?
        Around 40/250?

Comment

Originally posted by NoRiverRequired View Post
          Any grown man who hasn't learned to drive yet needs to have a good look at themselves.
          I dunno, I just pay guys to do it for me

Comment

Sunday morning titbit

Imagine how good it would be if the quickest player from every club raced each other to be crowned the fastest of all. In 1992, that actually happened.

Comment

Dunno how Inside No 9 has passed me by for so long. The English are really unrivaled when it comes to black comedy writing.
              Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                I've always lived in places where cars are more of a hindrance but at less than 500euro to get a license in Malta I should really do it for travel/weekends etc.

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                Dunno how Inside No 9 has passed me by for so long. The English are really unrivaled when it comes to black comedy writing.
                Very surprised it isn't mentioned more, one of the best things I've caught on Netflix recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                  How many cases/bottles there?
                  Around 40/250?
                  Didn't know myself so did a count.

18 * red
                  13 * white
                  3 * cider
                  1 champagne
                  6 cases of food

So a good estimate at 40 as the answer is 40.5!
                  Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 11-08-19, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                    I've always lived in places where cars are more of a hindrance but at less than 500euro to get a license in Malta I should really do it for travel/weekends etc.
                    A Vietnamese guy I work with passed his 2 weeks ago. He estimates he's into his full license for approx €1k, it is worth having I suppose but it seems like an unnecessary hassle for someone who spends the bulk of their time without a need for regular car use.

FWIW I didn't learn until my mid 20s and it was well worth it but I also live in the countryside in the Midlands so just silly on my part.

Comment

Didn't know myself so did a count.

18 * red
                      13 * white
                      3 * cider
                      1 champagne
                      6 cases of food

So a good estimate at 40 as the answer is 40.5!
                      What food did you pick up.
                      I assume the cannister on the left were goose fat. But now considering that they might be a small flock of ortolans.

Comment

I only got my license this year at the ripe old age of 37.

Very glad I did it but would have continued to get by without it though do wish I'd done it long ago.

Hasn't made a massive difference but is handy for stuff I didn't really think about - gonna play the tournament in the green isle next weekend and that would have been a total pain travelwise without it

Comment

I learned but never did the test, still have had no reason to really need it yet so haven't bothered. But I really should pick it up. Just a PITA to get any practice done.

Comment

Cricket

Draw in next weeks test shortened from 9/2 to 3/1 over last 2 days

Starts Wednesday, weather report for rain all day on day one and showers on weekend

Comment

To drop over 150 million on signings and start with the side Arsenal have today is a ludicrously poorly planned transfer window. Prob the biggest team selection price drift we'll see all season.
                              Profit before people.

Comment

To drop over 150 million on signings and start with the side Arsenal have today is a ludicrously poorly planned transfer window. Prob the biggest team selection price drift we'll see all season.
                                The season will be a 50 game plus season , it was an excellently executed transfer window and for a club that has got very little right over the last 10 years it was perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                  The season will be a 50 game plus season , it was an excellently executed transfer window and for a club that has got very little right over the last 10 years it was perfect.
                                  I'm not sure you'd echo those sentiments in two months time.
                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                    Wish I could do that in Calgary.

Not a hope you could survive without a vehicle. You’d need an extra 10 hours in the day.

I’m actually in the market for a new vehicle now, likely gonna but a big ole Ford Explorer, or very tempted to go whole hog on XC90. Likely be a 3 yr old explorer though cos I’d prob like the Volvo for 20 mins and then the knowledge of the depreciation and cost to own would eat at me for the time I have it.
                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I think Arsenal are going backwards.

City to run away with it.

Liverpool cant go another season without some injuries to key players.

Spurs are arguably weaker... Ish. I’m not convinced if it but I can see both sides. Tanguay looks good but poch fed up and Eriksen wants out. Static if not backwards.

United are weak, no depth and 2 players short of a team never mind a squad, kids do look good though so hope. Clean out was much needed and defense could actually be very strong.
                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I'm not sure you'd echo those sentiments in two months time.
                                        Time will tell I guess, obviously all transfers are a risk, but it's a massive positive compared to previous windows. It's best to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all!!

Think myself that Arsenal will finish third this season.

Comment

Time will tell I guess, obviously all transfers are a risk, but it's a massive positive compared to previous windows. It's best to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all!!

Think myself that Arsenal will finish third this season.
                                          I'll take Spurs to finish above Arsenal for as much as you like if you want.
                                          Profit before people.

Comment

I'll take Spurs to finish above Arsenal for as much as you like if you want.
                                            Gentleman's 100 so??

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                              What food did you pick up.
                                              I assume the cannister on the left were goose fat. But now considering that they might be a small flock of ortolans.
                                              Mostly dinners for when you come in cold and late in the winter: cassoulet, coq au vin, saucisses with lentils etc. Some duck confit, some pates, some rillettes etc. Some stuff I'm not really sure what it is.

Some packs of Normandy biscuits, some jams - these mostly as presents.

Comment

I'm as disappointed in that team lineup as anyone, but not sure what the highlighted part in particular is meant to mean. They strengthened their defence after their captain decided he's had enough. Chambers has played really well in pre season. Tierney/Bellerin/Luiz can all come in whether it's a back 4, or a back 3 with wingbacks.

Their centre mid is solid, and we sold our biggest waster for 40m, and brought in flair in other positions. When Arsenal find their best starting 11 in 4/5 games time, i think it's going to be a pretty exciting season. I've been lookig forward to this season far more than any other in as long as i can remember.

Not everyone team can get all the players they wanted, but it's as good a window as Arsenal could have hoped for. Would have loved to see a couple of them starting. Mkhitaryan has been awful in pre-season and this will be his last season.

Emery's substitutions have won us a lot of points last season. He's not afraid to make half-time substitutions, and makes his first sub around about the 52nd min on average, so i have faith in him to make the changes needed to turn the game around if things aren't going well. Something Wenger was very reluctant to do.

I'm not as convonced as Premierstone that Arsenal can finished 3rd, but i think we should be battling it out for 3rd/4th. As long as we're competitive and not rolled over by teams, it will be a success.

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                Backwards from when?

It's the biggest step forward they have taken in years, and last season was also a forward step.

Comment

Here's the bounty anyway, a reasonable plundering this year.

Fck me that's impressive . Well done. I've often seen less come out of the back of a 40ft lorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                    I'm as disappointed in that team lineup as anyone, but not sure what the highlighted part in particular is meant to mean.
                                                    As in they should have got their business done earlier with a view to having their best 11 or close to it starting the first game. None of them being ready to start raises an eyebrow somewhat. Such is the standard of the top few it's far from ideal to be using the start of the season as an extended pre season of sorts.

They're still a million miles from competing with Liverpool/City and with Spurs now having a settled home I expect them to be comfortably better, Ndombele looks a fantastic addition, although if they lose Eriksen it will close the quality gap admittedly.
                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

City to run away with it.

Liverpool cant go another season without some injuries to key players.

Spurs are arguably weaker... Ish. I’m not convinced if it but I can see both sides. Tanguay looks good but poch fed up and Eriksen wants out. Static if not backwards.

United are weak, no depth and 2 players short of a team never mind a squad, kids do look good though so hope. Clean out was much needed and defense could actually be very strong.
                                                      Very hard to pick holes in any of that .

Comment

Cant believe Pepsi have relaunched the taste challenge again after all theses years

Surely once Coke figured it out (well the engineer hired for something else figured it out**), its dead!?

All coke have to do is run an add saying try a can full!?

**AFAIR The story was that after years of looking at it and changing the flavour etc, some engineer asked why was it a sip test and not a full serving test, Coke ran test as a serving/can, people said Pepsi too sweet and figures totally different

Comment

Gentleman's 100 so??
                                                          Nothing backs up the wisdom of an opinion like taking evens on the wrong side of a 2/5 vrs 6/5 shot.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                            Nothing backs up the wisdom of an opinion like taking evens on the wrong side of a 2/5 vrs 6/5 shot.
                                                            Are you sure you understand the bet?

How on earth could a two horse race be priced 2/5 and 6/5?? That's somewhere in the region of a 130% plus over round.

Comment

I was just looking at odds for top 4. Not not trying to find heads up odds for the purpose of a smart arse comment.

Comment

I was just looking at odds for top 4. Not not trying to find heads up odds for the purpose of a smart arse comment.
                                                                No, you quoted a completely irrelevant set of prices, it wasnt meant as a smart arse comment it was a genuine question.

Comment

Anti PSV here happy to be a scammer but can someone post a stream (or somewhere to get a stream) for the united match please

Comment

No, you quoted a completely irrelevant set of prices, it wasnt meant as a smart arse comment it was a genuine question.
                                                                    No, I mean by initial comment was a smart arse comment.

You are burning money of course, but we live in a world where Iwobi cost 34m, so...

Comment

Anti PSV here happy to be a scammer but can someone post a stream (or somewhere to get a stream) for the united match please
                                                                      The best solution is get onto discordapp.

Here is an invite which expires in 1 day
                                                                      Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

Then clink on relevant match link and it goes to footybite links. This has replaced the Reddit match streams forum.

Comment

LEAVER: I want an omelette.

REMAINER: Right. It’s just we haven’t got any eggs.

LEAVER: Yes, we have. There they are. [HE POINTS AT A CAKE]

REMAINER: They’re in the cake.

LEAVER: Yes, get them out of the cake, please.

REMAINER: But we voted in 1974 to put them into a cake.

LEAVER: Yes, but that cake has got icing on it. Nobody said there was going to be icing on it.

REMAINER: Icing is good.

LEAVER: And there are raisins in it. I don’t like raisins. Nobody mentioned raisins. I demand another vote.

DAVID CAMERON ENTERS.

DAVID CAMERON: OK.

DAVID CAMERON SCARPERS.

LEAVER: Right, where’s my omelette?

REMAINER: I told you, the eggs are in the cake.

LEAVER: Well, get them out.

EU: It’s our cake.

JEREMY CORBYN: Yes, get them out now.

REMAINER: I have absolutely no idea how to get them out. Don’t you know how to get them out?

LEAVER: Yes! You just get them out and then you make an omelette.

REMAINER: But how?! Didn’t you give this any thought?

LEAVER: Saboteur! You’re talking eggs down. We could make omelettes before the eggs went into the cake, so there’s no reason why we can’t make them now.

THERESA MAY: It’s OK, I can do it.

REMAINER: How?

THERESA MAY: There was a vote to remove the eggs from the cake, and so the eggs will be removed from the cake.

REMAINER: Yeah, but…

LEAVER: Hang on, if we take the eggs out of the cake, does that mean we don’t have any cake? I didn’t say I didn’t want the cake, just the bits I don’t like.

REMAINER: But you can’t take the eggs out of the cake and then still have a cake.

LEAVER: You can. I saw the latest Bake Off and you can definitely make cakes without eggs in them. It’s just that they’re horrible.

REMAINER: Fine. Take the eggs out. See what happens.

LEAVER: It’s not my responsibility to take the eggs out. Get on with it.

REMAINER: Why should I have to come up with some long-winded incredibly difficult chemical process to extract eggs that have bonded at the molecular level to the cake, while somehow still having the cake?

LEAVER: You lost, get over it.

THERESA MAY: By the way, I’ve started the clock on this.

REMAINER: So I assume you have a plan?

THERESA MAY: Actually, back in a bit. Just having another election.

REMAINER: Jeremy, are you going to sort this out?

JEREMY CORBYN: Yes. No. Maybe.

LEAVER: Where’s my omelette? I voted for an omelette.

REMAINER: This is ridiculous. This is never going to work. We should have another vote, or at least stop what we’re doing until we know how to get the eggs out of the cake while keeping the bits of the cake that we all like.

LEAVER/MAY/CORBYN: WE HAD A VOTE. STOP SABOTAGING THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE. EGGSIT MEANS EGGSIT.

REMAINER: Fine, I’m moving to France. The cakes are nicer there.

LEAVER: You can’t. We’ve taken your freedom of movement.

Comment

Croatian Uber driver/Cab driver was very disparaging of their EU experience in the short spin from hotel to port.

Basically said it was a waste of time and they are way way worse off. Guess cab drivers are the same everywhere in the EU.

Comment

The best solution is get onto discordapp.

Here is an invite which expires in 1 day
                                                                            Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

Then clink on relevant match link and it goes to footybite links. This has replaced the Reddit match streams forum.
                                                                            This expired can ya send again please?

Comment

WANTED: 1 ticket for the all.ireland football final. Some 2nd half performance.

Comment

This expired can ya send again please?
                                                                                Check out the Soccer YouKnowWhat community on Discord - hang out with 182225 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                  WANTED: 1 ticket for the all.ireland football final. Some 2nd half performance.
                                                                                  Glad Kerry won, it's hard to watch that Tyrone style, Clifford top drawer, pity O'Brien will miss the final.

In order to appeal the black card situation, does the appeal work in such a way that each is individually reviewed to see if one can be revoked?

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                    Glad Kerry won, it's hard to watch that Tyrone style, Clifford top drawer, pity O'Brien will miss the final.

In order to appeal the black card situation, does the appeal work in such a way that each is individually reviewed to see if one can be revoked?
                                                                                    He's playing in the final. Take it to the bank.
                                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The Meath one will be revoked I'd imagine as that was down to the ref having a mare. The Meath black card in the same game wasnt close to a black either. Would expect O Brien to play in the final

Comment

The eldest offspring has always wanted to be a Dr, she has been doing subjects to help achieve that goal. We applied to Universities in the UK, one being in Belfast, but god, it is expensive. Unfortunately, she was late in the application and she got turned down.

She got her results for her A Levels, where she aced them, especially the A in advanced chemistry, a subject she only started when she moved to Malta. Did Science for her Junior Cert only.

She applied to the University of Malta to do Medicine & Surgery and was told she has the grades. But because she is not Maltese, she needs to learn Medical Maltese. She basically had 2 months to learn the language, where she will sit a 30 minute role play exam that costs €500 to sit.

The course applications were to be in by March, the course was 6k! but she missed it. Due to brexit, there has been a downturn on UK applicants and the course didn't run. SO the course will be just done with a private tutor and come to about 450 for the lessons!.

BUT, the best part. The Uni course is FREE, once she gets in, that is it. They have no Fees for students who live in Malta. It is like the Scottish Uni system. It is fantastic that you don't need to have loads of €€€ to be able to go to Uni here and everyone gets a chance.

Can I borrow a few folks one times for the 5th of September when she sits the exam! she is petrified of failing of course, but I think she will do it.

I am so proud of her, she has worked hard so far and the final hurdle is now in sight...

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                          He's playing in the final. Take it to the bank.
                                                                                          Absolute LOL. The GAA where rules matter occasionally.

Turnout of less than 30K paying customers today should set off alarm bells but it won't.
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Turnout of less than 30K paying customers today should set off alarm bells but it won't.
                                                                                            On the first one I cant think of a single sport that doesn't regularly overturn decisions on appeal, this particular one is a nonsense rule and O'Brien will rightly play.

On the second point, couldn't agree more that the game is facing, if not already in the midst of, a massive crisis but I disagree about the alarm bells, they are ringing very loudly and the top brass are extremely worried. What exactly they do about it is another matter!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                              The eldest offspring has always wanted to be a Dr, she has been doing subjects to help achieve that goal. We applied to Universities in the UK, one being in Belfast, but god, it is expensive. Unfortunately, she was late in the application and she got turned down.

She got her results for her A Levels, where she aced them, especially the A in advanced chemistry, a subject she only started when she moved to Malta. Did Science for her Junior Cert only.

She applied to the University of Malta to do Medicine & Surgery and was told she has the grades. But because she is not Maltese, she needs to learn Medical Maltese. She basically had 2 months to learn the language, where she will sit a 30 minute role play exam that costs €500 to sit.

The course applications were to be in by March, the course was 6k! but she missed it. Due to brexit, there has been a downturn on UK applicants and the course didn't run. SO the course will be just done with a private tutor and come to about 450 for the lessons!.

BUT, the best part. The Uni course is FREE, once she gets in, that is it. They have no Fees for students who live in Malta. It is like the Scottish Uni system. It is fantastic that you don't need to have loads of €€€ to be able to go to Uni here and everyone gets a chance.

Can I borrow a few folks one times for the 5th of September when she sits the exam! she is petrified of failing of course, but I think she will do it.

I am so proud of her, she has worked hard so far and the final hurdle is now in sight...
                                                                                              Do whatever it takes to get her through this. Ask local doctors to sit and have medical conversations with her. Appeal to their charitable instincts but invest a few k if you have to paying local medical students to tutor her. This is a sliding door moment.
                                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

every sport has an appeals process m8. Relax the outrage

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                  Do whatever it takes to get her through this. Ask local doctors to sit and have medical conversations with her. Appeal to their charitable instincts but invest a few k if you have to paying local medical students to tutor her. This is a sliding door moment.
                                                                                                  I was at the hospital over a week ago and she came with me. The nurses told her various things to say to patients too and the Drs chatted for ages with her. She is doing lots of lessons with a tutor who specializes in this exam. I have to go see the Dr to get vallium for my flights soon, may take her along to chat. She needs to learn the conversational, and all her friends are Maltese. I told them to only talk to her in Maltese! she is also going to our next door neighbours, who is a teacher for lessons. We will get her there!

Comment

Kerry are known to only venture twice a year to Dublin
                                                                                                    Once in September for all Ireland Sunday and the 2nd time for Christmas shopping
                                                                                                    I’d say they can’t wait for Christmas

Comment

I agree, no issue with a card being rescinded at all but is it usually investigated in this way?

It seems as though they should be decided upon after the match which it occurred in.

That's kind of why I asked the question because the whole thing seems a tad opaque.

Comment

I agree, no issue with a card being rescinded at all but is it usually investigated in this way?

It seems as though they should be decided upon after the match which it occurred in.

That's kind of why I asked the question because the whole thing seems a tad opaque.
                                                                                                        I think everything about the black card is a bit of a mess and needs reform.

Comment

Opened the elevator last night in hotel and the Colm Boyle was going up they were obviously dejected be a fair few retirements surely how can they keep taking the pain. What can be done though ? 30k on a dry day for an all Ireland semi is a disgrace. Clearly the teams fans have no belief that they can beat the dubs who can blame them. It was being said all week mayo won’t fear Dublin etc what good is it when they got beat out the gate regardless. Attendances will keep dropping the monster has been created how can it be stopped ?

Comment

Pretty much what premierstone said. Peter Harte got off a suspension for some game this year after appealing a black card also.

It's still unclear to me what actually merits a black card as every referee seems to give it for different things but what he did today was a certain black as it was the type of foul it was brought in to combat

Comment

It's seems fair enough to say that the GAA appeals process is friendlier than most sports. Like if someone was appealing 2 yellows in the soccer World Cup that led to a suspension you'd have them as 25/1 dogs to get off. GAA system seems to find in the players favour much more often, so much that it's seems to be generally accepted that this player will win.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                It's seems fair enough to say that the GAA appeals process is friendlier than most sports. Like if someone was appealing 2 yellows in the soccer World Cup that led to a suspension you'd have them as 25/1 dogs to get off. GAA system seems to find in the players favour much more often, so much that it's seems to be generally accepted that this player will win.
                                                                                                                Amateur sport innit

Comparing it to the world cup is a stretch tbf

Comment

1982

Two semi finals

Kerry v Galway - Kerry going for 5-in-a-row. 25,111 people.

Armagh v Offaly - Offaly the previous year's finalists - 17,523 people.

1986

Two semi finals

Kerry v Meath - 45,405 people in attendance

Tyrone v Galway - 26, 644

Alarm bells won't go off because there's no need. Been here before. Fact is that attendances at semi-finals during a dominant period for any team tend to be lower. That will correct in time.

Comment

Quick read regarding streaming and Juventus saying it's killing football

In a bizarre campaign titles Piracy Kills Football, Juventus are attacking the very fans they have priced out of the game in Serie A

Comment

1982

Two semi finals

1986

Two semi finals

Alarm bells won't go off because there's no need. Been here before. Fact is that attendances at semi-finals during a dominant period for any team tend to be lower. That will correct in time.
                                                                                                                      Perhaps it's simply a change in my own interests and those of my friends but there certainly appears to be a greater interest in the Hurling championship over the past number of years than that of the Football.

Even in Kildare I've noticed a waning interest in Kildare football at intercounty level, they lost arguably their best player prior to the beginning of the season because of focus on his studies, though I heard he lacked the interest tbh.

It just feels as though people are less interested but perhaps the numbers don't indicate that, not sure tbh and it is cyclical but certainly feels as though people want a change.

Comment

Perhaps it's simply a change in my own interests and those of my friends but there certainly appears to be a greater interest in the Hurling championship over the past number of years than that of the Football.

Even in Kildare I've noticed a waning interest in Kildare football at intercounty level, they lost arguably their best player prior to the beginning of the season because of focus on his studies, though I heard he lacked the interest tbh.

It just feels as though people are less interested but perhaps the numbers don't indicate that, not sure tbh and it is cyclical but certainly feels as though people want a change.
                                                                                                                        These things really are cyclical. And the GAA need to do more to minimise the effect of those cycles, but my point is more that the level of worry over this is really over-blown. The great funding issue surrounding Dublin started as a means of addressing a cyclical change in interest levels in the capital when rugby went professional and the soccer team was going strong.

It's clear that the GAA needs to have a clear vision again of how to keep the games alive in all parts of Ireland but the attendance at an All Ireland semi-final isn't the canary in the coal mine it is being presented as.

Comment

1982

Two semi finals

1986

Two semi finals

This isn’t just another dominant period.
                                                                                                                          It’s a professional sports team playing in an amateur and semi-pro competition.
                                                                                                                          Odds coming on all the time on the 10 in a row.
                                                                                                                          The future of The SFC is a Dublin boot stamping on the faces of all the other counties, forever.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X