Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where'd you see that table, Hitch? Hopefully it is English, just for the lols on how few fucks they give about NI; they break out the Scottish and Welsh seats and parties (obv because the Cons, Lab or Brexit will win seats in those constituent 'countries' of the UK, but whatever), but just lump all NI parties into one blob. Would've been even funnier if the row was titled 'Irish' or 'Ireland' instead.
    Last edited by ionapaul; 26-06-19, 14:03.

Comment

But sure Brexit will be wonderful, they'll have more control than you can shake a stick at and the Brexit Party will dissolve itself in delight at a job well done.

Boris will be elected Emperor by popular acclaim.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
        I did a driving tour of Europe that summer. 1km walk from hotel to where car was parked one day in something like 45C nearly killed us. Was like opening an oven door when one of the lads wound down the window for a smoke.
        I was working at the WSOP on July 5, 2007 and it hit 47 degrees (hottest day ever until recently I believe).

Multiple days 40+ in the run up to it too IIRC. You'd feel sick very quickly if you were in direct sunlight for any length of time. The heat at night would take your breath away as you stepped out into it.

Great times due to the famously icy cool Rio air conditioning though.

I seem to remember the day I arrived back in Dublin there was a news report in the Irish Times that rain had been recorded 40 days straight somewhere in Ireland but I've never been able to find and verify online (though wife verified at the time it was a miserable, damp summer here.)

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
          Ive set up a twitter account to weigh in on any more Hitch parenting tweetwars
          Last week on the canal near Clondalkin I saw a lad coming at me on a bike holding a child somewhere between 2 and 4 year old under one arm like a sack of spuds, not holding on to the bike at all and a can of Lidl beer in the other hand which he was occasionally touching the handlebar with. Decent balance for a lad who is drinking cans in the middle of the day all the same.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
              I was working at the WSOP on July 5, 2007 and it hit 47 degrees (hottest day ever until recently I believe).

Multiple days 40+ in the run up to it too IIRC. You'd feel sick very quickly if you were in direct sunlight for any length of time. The heat at night would take your breath away as you stepped out into it.

Great times due to the famously icy cool Rio air conditioning though.

I seem to remember the day I arrived back in Dublin there was a news report in the Irish Times that rain had been recorded 40 days straight somewhere in Ireland but I've never been able to find and verify online (though wife verified at the time it was a miserable, damp summer here.)
              Stu Ungar won the wsop when the final when it was outdoors I believe!.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                absolutely. strikes me as good at his job though. I'd imagine if he didn't also have the sports brief he'd be more popular.
                He is definitely worse at his sports brief alright. He has made a total balls of that.

If health was able to get billions for a boondoggle and he couldn’t get the money for transport infra which is one of the govt’s big goals in terms of legacy than I can’t see how you could say he really achieved anything.

Better connections for Dublin city center from the rest of Ireland or a commutable city is literally what international business is asking for so we can keep our country moving forward.

Nobody expects him to be able to draft up a redesign for new transport links himself but he is expected to be able to make the case to his govt partners that the money should go his way. These plans have been outlined and future proofed years ago.

Comment

You didn't look very hard

Met Éireann statistics have confirmed what everyone knows - that there were 49 consecutive days of rainfall from June 11th to…
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Hows the health CourierCollie hope all is well?. You still doing what the docs tell you?. Whats thh exercise, eating, drinking regime like currently?

Comment

Weather warming up. Off today getting some minor bicep surgery . ( no wanker jokes necessary) Think I'll push the 5 year old in the buggy for rehab purposes. 15k should do it

Golf . Following horse in form. Revie at 25s ?

Comment

Of course cycling is a disaster, but it had previously been ignored and is now being invested in quite significantly.
                        It is incredible how far from the truth this statement is. In one small sentance, you managed to sum up almost EXACTLY the opposite of the situation cycling is in. The guardian had a great article on cycling in Dublin

In 2013 the Irish capital was ranked among the world’s top 20 bike-friendly cities, but only a small part of the promised cycle network was ever built

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                          Hows the health CourierCollie hope all is well?. You still doing what the docs tell you?. Whats thh exercise, eating, drinking regime like currently?
                          Still on the same shedload of prescription drugs. Had my last set of blood tests in April and the only number off was the hdl cholesterol which was a little bit low. Have been going to the gym 3 times a week for the last 10 weeks, haven't lost even the tiniest bit of weight though I'm certainly a lot fitter(literally lost 1kg a week for the first 4 weeks, and then put it back on over the next 4). Maintaining the one bottle of wine a week. Finally gave up the vaping about 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Why is everyone calling people doses all of a sudden?
                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                              Why is everyone calling people doses all of a sudden?
                              Have always used it. And always used it to describe something bad. Hangover, some dose. Sick, some dose. Man flu, some dose. Being beaten in a match by a last minute winner, some dose. Scoring some ugly wan at 3am in the nightclub, some dose. Annoying woman on Twitter forcing her son to do stuff so she can get likes, some dose.

Might be different up here but at home that's the gist of it.

Comment

Dose fairly common in Dublin for gobshite

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                  I'm sure there's a reason why Ireland isn't loading up on cheap long-term debt to fund capital projects, but I'm not really sure what it is. If the market is offering you negative yielding debt I say take it.
                                  Did we not have this same conversation on here about 5-6 years ago?

If the banks/whoever want to pay to make your county all shiny and new, fucking let them!

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                    Dose fairly common in Dublin for gobshite
                                    Dose is fairly common in the west for a Dublin gobshite

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                      Dose is fairly common in the west for a Dublin gobshite
                                      It's a euphemism for Culchie\redneck.

Comment

Comment

You don't need to rely on dodgy journalism - you actually live in the city. You know cycling infrastructure is better now. Investment in cycling routes has never been higher and is constantly increasing, so how what I said is the opposite of the truth is beyond me.

I hope this isn't going to be another silly thing, where you argue 'but it's not perfect', when all that was said was that it is going significantly in the right direction.
                                          I cycle in the city every day. We don't have any cycling infrastructure. There are bike lanes in some places that cars park in, buses stop in and the path often winds up and down the pavement into pedestrians. This is not how a bike lane is supposed to work. I was in Mexico City last year and it is a joy to cycle in their lanes because they are for bikes only.

The article is an accurate depiction of where we are now. Did you read it? I was at the protest on the quays. That issue is a perfect example of whats wrong with the Dublin infrastructure - the bike lane on one of our busiest and most important roads also doubles as a bus terminus! The only time its possible to use is when they orgaise a protest of cyclists holding it open. Any other time you have to weave in an out of traffic to avoid the parked busses.

Dodgy journalism lol.
                                          Last edited by Hectorjelly; 26-06-19, 17:51.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Poor hitch, escapes twitter to avoid a pile on and jumps on here to get rounded on.

Weirdly I think he could have had some limited success on twitter supporting shane Ross and giving out about fat kids would have been a winner in here.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                  Recently announced his engagement. Probably too busy ridin' to post about it here.
                                                  Was over with V4V last night and he mentioned that he spotted my engagement on the BBV. Cheers for giving the shoutout Andy, apologies I didn't get to it myself.

All things go, set the date for next year, venue booked, missus has her wedding dress procured, was over chatting with V about getting myself back into healthy eating habits would like to drop a few lbs for the day.

I'd been looking to propose for awhile and should've done it a little sooner than I did but a bunch of work fell through which scuppered my plans but everything is falling into place now. She's a superstar so I'm looking forward to all the shenanigans to follow.
                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Shane Ross = Boris

Professional bullshitter exposed as wholly out of depth when put anywhere near actual responsibility.

Comment

That article makes the same mistake, by the way. Except they do it in a slightly smarter way by pretending that there was once good cycling and now it's gone. It's not a bad article, it's a decent article. Cycling is atrocious, but it's evidentially getting better.
                                                      DID YOU NOT READY WHAT I WROTE!!!!!! THE LANES ARE NO GOOD. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY KM OF BIKE LANES THERE ARE IF THEY ARE MAINLY OCCUPIED BY TAXIES AND BUSSES. IT HASN'T GOTTEN ANY BETTER.

In any case, the article is making the point that there was a push to improve cycling in Dublin years ago, I remember that, but if fell by the wayside and things are now worse than they ever have been. The only sign of progress is that they claim to have money to spend now. Not that they were claiming there used to be great bike lanes and now there aren't, but that there was a movement to create them that didn't materialse. In your rush to have an opinion on every single subject under the sun I fear you sometimes miss these subtleties.

"Brendan O’Brien, who is in charge of transport in the city, says he is “as frustrated as anyone”. “It’s actually only really this year that we have seen any significant funding allocated for cycling,” "

It's ok to admit you had an opinion on a subject you knew nothing about that turned out to be incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                        Poor hitch, escapes twitter to avoid a pile on and jumps on here to get rounded on.

Weirdly I think he could have had some limited success on twitter supporting shane Ross and giving out about fat kids would have been a winner in here.
                                                        Give the Fat Kids bikes and get them to cycle across Town at rush hour. You'll end up with a lot less fat kids.

Comment

Comment

Swap mobile numbers lads.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                DID YOU NOT READY WHAT I WROTE!!!!!! THE LANES ARE NO GOOD. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY KM OF BIKE LANES THERE ARE IF THEY ARE MAINLY OCCUPIED BY TAXIES AND BUSSES. IT HASN'T GOTTEN ANY BETTER.

In any case, the article is making the point that there was a push to improve cycling in Dublin years ago, I remember that, but if fell by the wayside and things are now worse than they ever have been. The only sign of progress is that they claim to have money to spend now. Not that they were claiming there used to be great bike lanes and now there aren't, but that there was a movement to create them that didn't materialse. In your rush to have an opinion on every single subject under the sun I fear you sometimes miss these subtleties.

"Brendan O’Brien, who is in charge of transport in the city, says he is “as frustrated as anyone”. “It’s actually only really this year that we have seen any significant funding allocated for cycling,” "

It's ok to admit you had an opinion on a subject you knew nothing about that turned out to be incorrect.
                                                                I know it's autocorrect but tis amusingly ironic

Comment

Dublin used to be very safe to cycle in. Need to reduce the cars . Moves afoot. Back on me pennyfarthing soon.

Comment

This seems like a tipping point decision in US democracy.

Demographics suggest that Democrats will hold the natural voting majority at most state levels and in House of Representatives for the foreseeable future. So Republicans need to gerrymander. Supreme Court to decide tomorrow on whether that is allowed.

Bit mad really. The argument is essentially whether you can draw boundary districts to get higher proportions of a parties representatives elected than their votes received would fairly allow. Not sure how that's even a debate, but there we go.
                                                                    FiveThirtyEight uses statistical analysis - hard numbers - to tell compelling stories about elections, politics and American society.

This is quite a good walk through the history of gerrymandering and its impact.

Comment

Comment

That looks like a class resource. Must go through those reads. Cheers.
                                                                        I dont know if you've had much exposure to 538, its run by Nate Silver, Signal & the Noise guy, he recieved a lot of notoriety after predicting the results of 49/50 States in the 2008 elections.

Perfect for the likes of me who has a passing interest in US politics and the predictions he uses based on poll data is pretty cool.

The visuals are second to none.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                            Lol... good man. And to think i used to do online research for a living

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                              Stu Ungar won the wsop when the final when it was outdoors I believe!.
                                                                              He did indeed. Hard to believe now it was just 10 years before my first stint there (given that 10+ years have passed since then!).

Poor quality footage but still worth a look for those that haven't seen it.

In other news Eoghan O'Dea picked up sixth and $169K in the 10K Omaha. Nice touch but i'm sure he's probably a little disappointed not to have lasted a bit longer.

I have great memories of arriving into Vegas in 2008 while Marty Smyth was at the final table of the same event and dashing from the airport directly to a rowdy ringside seat.

Did he ever flog off/give away his bracelet? Think that was his plan at one point anyway (unless i'm confusing him with someone else).

Comment

He did indeed. Hard to believe now it was just 10 years before my first stint there (given that 10+ years have passed since then!).

Poor quality footage but still worth a look for those that haven't seen it.

In other news Eoghan O'Dea picked up sixth and $169K in the 10K Omaha. Nice touch but i'm sure he's probably a little disappointed not to have lasted a bit longer.

I have great memories of arriving into Vegas in 2008 while Marty Smyth was at the final table of the same event and dashing from the airport directly to a rowdy ringside seat.

Did he ever flog off/give away his bracelet? Think that was his plan at one point anyway (unless i'm confusing him with someone else).
                                                                                I watched a lot of that last night, looked like he nitted it up to ladder up. The commentary made reference to that exact thing a couple of times when talking about EOD and it did seem like it

Comment

I see Beth Chapman died (wife of Dog the Bounty Hunter).

She shed some amount of weight from my memories of her.

Very sad reading tweets about her etc - seemed like a very nice woman

Comment

I'd say a night at the dogs might be a thing of the past soon after that RTE thingy if the good people of Twitter have their way.

Comment

...

Comment

Is there really much attendance apart from cheapo corporate outings? Remember being at a few ones that were empty apart from one or two coffin dodgers. But maybe that was picking the wrong nights.
                                                                                        Apart from a couple of big nights year i doubt it. Was there a couple years ago...as you say groups at dinner and starting point for stags and the die hards. Couple people on here would be better clued in. Anyone for the Waterford Dogs in the morning...first hare off at 8.12am

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                          I'd say a night at the dogs might be a thing of the past soon after that RTE thingy if the good people of Twitter have their way.
                                                                                          What hitch said , do most greyhound meets not just exist for betting shop filler material/Asian degens to bet on. Went to Harold’s cross?? I think when I was living in Dub ,couldn’t get out of there fast enough and I used to frequent the Jackpot

Comment

Nice bit of popcorn over on Reddit where they have quarantined The Donald subreddit

Comment

Nah I think your gone too far into this Hector. They've started segregating routes a bit now. There's greenways popping up all over the country with beautiful cycle routes. And as Brendan said the money is now going in. My original point was just that investment is now going in. Which is also Brendan's point from your quote. Have a look at what you originally quoted from me and you'll see that. There's massive further investment needed but it has now at least made itself on to a line in the budget of councils and the government, where previously it wasnt. You seem to have turned what I said into something different in your head that you wanted to argue about. But there's no argument from me on it's insufficiency, I was just giving Ross a nod for starting something.
                                                                                              My point is that we have had promises of investment before, most of the investment never materialised, and the money they did spend made the situation worse, not better. On the quays and other places like Pearse st the cycle lane makes cycling more dangerous than it would be without a lane. They could vastly improve the cycling experience tomorrow, without spending any money, but they don't have the will to do it. So you can see why I might not be willing to give Ross any credit for starting anything.

I have no idea what the situation is in other counties.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

This seems like a tipping point decision in US democracy.

Demographics suggest that Democrats will hold the natural voting majority at most state levels and in House of Representatives for the foreseeable future. So Republicans need to gerrymander. Supreme Court to decide tomorrow on whether that is allowed.

Bit mad really. The argument is essentially whether you can draw boundary districts to get higher proportions of a parties representatives elected than their votes received would fairly allow. Not sure how that's even a debate, but there we go.
                                                                                                    Presumably not a debate in a republican majority Supreme Court unless I’m missing something very obvious.

Comment

...

Comment

Subscribe to our channel for more soccer content: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=MLSWayne Rooney scores from beyond the midfield stripe....

Comment

oh yeah been following him since his first blog. The guy is great. Not convinced he got the Trump election all that wrong either.
                                                                                                          I think the LA times(&Denny) was the only major US publication to predict Trumps victory.

I've been following the site over the past few weeks and based on what I've read, Elizabeth Warren appears to me to be the most likely candidate instead of Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                            What hitch said , do most greyhound meets not just exist for betting shop filler material/Asian degens to bet on. Went to Harold’s cross?? I think when I was living in Dub ,couldn’t get out of there fast enough and I used to frequent the Jackpot
                                                                                                            Yeah, the grimmest of the grim.

Went to Shelbourne one Sat in May a few years ago. Was communion day. All the adults were shit faced in their McGregor 3 pieces while the kids were all queing up at a special kiosk to place play bets.

Couldn't exit quick enough either.

Tear the whole lot down I'd say.
                                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Ah there's nothing like a reverse trio to convince your workmates you are some kind of gambling savant.
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                Yeah, the grimmest of the grim.

Went to Shelbourne one Sat in May a few years ago. Was communion day. All the adults were shit faced in their McGregor 3 pieces while the kids were all queing up at a special kiosk to place play bets.

Couldn't exit quick enough either.

Tear the whole lot down I'd say.
                                                                                                                Some of us liked the grim. If anything Shelbourne went too fancy.

Also couldn't be bothered visiting New York since it was cleaned up and the chances of getting murdered have become close to everywhere else. They probably don't even have guys routinely jerking off on the subway anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Having opinions on matters he doesn't understand and being spectacularly wrong is basically Hitch's USP.

Literally every Twitter chat we have is me correcting him about why he's gotten something wrong. I will say this for him, the last one I pulled him up on he did correct and remove it.

Growth.
                                                                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

It's not quite that straightforward, I think. As the legal precedence will then allow Democrats to do the same, which is quite a dangerous tool to hand over to a party that in the medium-term onwards will have much more capability to gerrymander.
                                                                                                                    If you start thinking like a 70 year old dyed in the wool American republican rather than a 40ish years old European academic who specializes in looking at future trends you may come to a different point of view.

Comment

It's not quite that straightforward, I think. As the legal precedence will then allow Democrats to do the same, which is quite a dangerous tool to hand over to a party that in the medium-term onwards will have much more capability to gerrymander.
                                                                                                                      The point of gerrymandering now is to stop the other side every having the chance to do it later.

Actually Democrats already do it. The reason it's seen as a Republican issue is that the Republicans won more State houses and Governorships prior to the last census so they were better placed to rig the game thereafter. In order to maintain power they need to keep rigging the game.
                                                                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I might be wrong on most things but the trend of my wrongness is trending strongly in the right direction. You see? We actually agree. Therefore I was right all along. Hey, a yellow car!

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                                          I think the LA times(&Denny) was the only major US publication to predict Trumps victory.

I've been following the site over the past few weeks and based on what I've read, Elizabeth Warren appears to me to be the most likely candidate instead of Biden.
                                                                                                                          You should be emptying the clip on Trump so.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X