Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cold wet smell of muck and wintergreen are my memories. That and a sliotar to the stomach at about age 10.

Was on the subs bench in Croker too.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
      Sorry Mick the skill levels in football are dwarfed by the Hurlers. Sure quite a lot of footballers couldn't even play a game of Leinster League soccer without tripping over the ball. Ooops a can of worms there.
      It’s a totally different game though. It’s very skillful no doubt but it’s gone a bit mad imo have to be half killed before you get a free Brian Cody used love telling the ref let it flow lee my men physically batter and foul the opposition more like Players hitting 70 yard shots gets boring for me I think the value of a goal should be more than 3 points.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
        The cold wet smell of muck and wintergreen are my memories. That and a sliotar to the stomach at about age 10.

Was on the subs bench in Croker too.
        Aaaahhh, the priest wouldn't let you have a run around on the big pitch so you sold your soul to Satan!?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
          Suggesting that success is not due to talent/skill, regardless of how it's achieved, is backhanded, imo.
          I'm aware of many resources but most would improve talent and ability. Which is why I asked what resources you were referring to. Shoukd be a straight forward to list.

Innate talent? You think killkenny dominated hurling becauce people in that tiny county are born with a genetic predisposition to hurling? Technical ability is a learned trait.

You claim they aren't producing superior talent. Then, in the same sentence, claim they are better able to develop their team? A bit of a contradiction. Either they are producing/developing better players, or they aren't.

Whether other counties can afford the same resources isn't relevant to my point.
          Nor am I suggesting that resources don't benefit.
          Do some sort of a choke hold onyour self do not stop till you pass go.

Comment

In Kilkenny all they do is hurl from birth almost. One rugby club in the county a few soccer clubs and a worse than useless football tean

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
              Do some sort of a choke hold onyour self do not stop till you pass go.
              Well thought out and insightful and as always SP.

Comment

Well thought out and insightful and as always SP.
                Was actually wondering is it possible without ligatures.

Comment

Suggesting that success is not due to talent/skill, regardless of how it's achieved, is backhanded, imo.
                  I'm aware of many resources but most would improve talent and ability. Which is why I asked what resources you were referring to. Shoukd be a straight forward to list.

Innate talent? You think killkenny dominated hurling becauce people in that tiny county are born with a genetic predisposition to hurling? Technical ability is a learned trait.

You claim they aren't producing superior talent. Then, in the same sentence, claim they are better able to develop their team? A bit of a contradiction. Either they are producing/developing better players, or they aren't.

Whether other counties can afford the same resources isn't relevant to my point.
                  Nor am I suggesting that resources don't benefit.
                  Well with all due respect Mellor, you jump to some rather strange conclusions, this a another example of such. It's not remotely a backhanded comment but infer what you wish.

No, I don't think Kilkenny dominated hurling due to innate talent, like I don't think Dublin are doing now.
                  Kilkenny dominated because they focus all their efforts into one sport, they had a particularly talented/skilled group of players and an excellent manager.

I said Dublin aren't dominating due to innate talent not because of innate talent?
                  To clarify, they're not producing better innate talent, they're simply developing them better due to resources, I cant understand how you find that contradictory to be honest.
                  Perhaps I should have used Dublin don't have superior innate talent but it still results in "producing more skilled players" due to resources but I suspect everyone else understands my point.

Well if it's not relevant to your point, perhaps you're better off explicitly clarifying your point because what you're trying to do here makes no sense.
                  I hope your point is something above the simple pedantry of clarifying the difference between talent and skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    You do have to wonder is BoJo actively trying to self-sabotage his own campaign. Coming across as potentially abusive and a coward atm.

these lesser headbanger isn't great mind
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Just to counterbalance all the soccerboys embarrassing themselves at GAA stories

Was playing a kick about up on the pheonix park and we had this GAA lad playing who was a mate of some of the boys

Fit, fast, tackle, decent shot etc but good luck getting a one-two out of him etc

Other team get a corner, I'm playing sweeper-ish and pick up one of their defenders, he is screaming stay with your man at everyone

They left themselves short at the back so my guy goes back to cover, GAA lad is still screaming at me "stay with your man", I'm ignoring him
                      Some delay in corner and he is pointing at the guy and still screaming

I "politely" point out that he is asking a centre back to go stand on the halfway line for a corner... Your man, your man etc

"Would you ever fuck off and play Gaelic" says I

Pitch goes quiet, looks at his mate..."what he said" was the reply he got

Comment

You do have to wonder is BoJo actively trying to self-sabotage his own campaign. Coming across as potentially abusive and a coward atm.

You'd have to be running very scared to be dodging debates with Hunt, any decent secondary school level debater would fancy their chances of wiping the floor with him.
                        He must be hoping the 'domestic' story will blow over, I have a feeling that unless he addresses it immediately it will grow and define the contest. Every day that he hasn't killed the story there are going to be more examples of his bullying and selfishness discussed in the media. Any attempts to defend him are coming over as 'only nosy parkers would report domestic abuse' which is an unacceptable position or else they try to imply it was trivial row but it doesn't sound like anyone who has heard the tape is saying that.

When this has been the main talking point of the election every day for a week the oul wans who are the majority of the Tory electorate might not be as forgiving of a philandering, abusive bully as the Stepford wives of the Republican party have been.

Got to admit the schadenfreude is large on this and it would be just wonderful if it sank him.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Regarding the performance analysis. i do a lot of work with it and have seen different levels of depth to it.

There's a soccer team here in germany who has a 40 square metre tv at their training pitch, training is live streamed onto the tv and if something's wrong, the coach can stop, rewind the video, show players where they were standing, what options, space looked like etc. Then can super impose players new position so they can see the difference with a helicopter view and eye line etc.

That's just one aspect, I dont know much about what they do in GAA but i'd assume pre game previews which most of the analysts will work on will range from heat maps of kickouts, hand pass/ kick pass percentages, turnover attack / defence, left foot right footed shots, % of success rate under high balls, how tight they defend in certain areas. You can basically predict what every player will do in every situation to 90%

That's just the video and stat work, no mention of performance aspects with GPS, how fast certain people are, when does performance dip under fatigue.

As an industry it has moved on so much in the last 5 years that guys with masters degrees are coming into sport, rather than sport people transitioning into analysis. This is a great aerticle about liverpool and the work done by the anayltical department there.

Comment

Dublin success is probably down to a few factors, money being one, but playing pool being another. The difference in having 20 talented u18s and 100 is night and day, the level of competition they get from a young age means that they make more decisions under pressure. The more decisions we make under pressure the more our subconscious takes over which speeds up player development.

Higher level of competition forces guys to be better and that coupled with "pressure making diamonds" means the same few areas will continue to produce high performing players.

You could give the dublin budget to leitrim, fermanagh and wicklow and there might be a small increase but they'd still be where they are i'd say

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                              Aaaahhh, the priest wouldn't let you have a run around on the big pitch so you sold your soul to Satan!?
                              No, I was just shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                I said Dublin aren't dominating due to innate talent not because of innate talent?
                                To clarify, they're not producing better innate talent, they're simply developing them better due to resources, I cant understand how you find that contradictory to be honest.
                                The original post that I quoted didn't use the word innate. Now are just shoving in in everywhere where. You don't produce innate ability, by definition. It's not a product of training environment. The first post said talent generally, and that's what I was talking about.

Perhaps I should have used Dublin don't have superior innate talent but it still results in "producing more skilled players" due to resources but I suspect everyone else understands my point.
                                Do you think any counties have superior innate talent to others?
                                I highly doubt there's genetic variation for that tbh..

Well if it's not relevant to your point, perhaps you're better off explicitly clarifying your point because what you're trying to do here makes no sense.
                                I hope your point is something above the simple pedantry of clarifying the difference between talent and skill.
                                Where did say anything about a difference between taken and skill? For the purpose of this I consider them synonymous.

Im not suggest Dublin's success in down to natural improvements. I thought that was clear. I'm saying if having better resources allows Dublin to produce better players, then those players are more talented/skilled, (as well as possibly better prepared physically). That fact those resources are unbalanced doesn't change that. I found your suggestion that they were not more skilled a bit silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                  You'd have to be running very scared to be dodging debates with Hunt, any decent secondary school level debater would fancy their chances of wiping the floor with him.
                                  He must be hoping the 'domestic' story will blow over, I have a feeling that unless he addresses it immediately it will grow and define the contest. Every day that he hasn't killed the story there are going to be more examples of his bullying and selfishness discussed in the media. Any attempts to defend him are coming over as 'only nosy parkers would report domestic abuse' which is an unacceptable position or else they try to imply it was trivial row but it doesn't sound like anyone who has heard the tape is saying that.

When this has been the main talking point of the election every day for a week the oul wans who are the majority of the Tory electorate might not be as forgiving of a philandering, abusive bully as the Stepford wives of the Republican party have been.

Got to admit the schadenfreude is large on this and it would be just wonderful if it sank him.
                                  Do you think that this will matter to enough conservative party members to stop them electing Johnson? Genuinely?

Comment

Laura Kuenssberg and Boris make for an interesting gruesome twosome
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                      Do you think that this will matter to enough conservative party members to stop them electing Johnson? Genuinely?
                                      Not in itself but if its going to lead to a vonc within days or weeks that they would probably lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                        I get your point though. Most sport is photocopied entertainment. GAA is just the least exciting of them.
                                        Ah FFS Lazare

First the Catholic Church and now the GAA -all that many of us hold sacred

Emigrate

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                          Sure stick yer Gaa memories down. I'm sure there might be a good yarn or two to read of a dull monda
                                          Oh I could do a long one for this... I'll give you one from the last time Dublin lost a Leinster Championship for the week that's in it.

Dublin were hammered by Meath in the Leinster semi-final and so the unusual fixture of Dublin v Tipperary played out on a reasonably miserable day in Croke Park. The game was poorly attended in part because of the weather and in part because the World Cup was on in South Africa and the fans sought better fare elsewhere.

Hill 16 thus took on a rather pleasant feeling of a general gathering of like-minded, if nefarious, individuals who were enjoying the game for what it was worth. The peace was broken by one Dublin fan who decided to breach the gap between the World Cup and the All Ireland Qualifiers by bringing a Vuvuzela to Croke Park. Blowing it with great gusto (almost constantly) he was a bloody nuisance.

Two lads were stood next to him, one rather large and rotund chap and one smaller skinny lad with a rollie behind one ear and a Happy Mondays style fisherman hat perched on his head.

Big Fella: "Here, mate... is that one of them Vuvuzelas?"
                                          Punter: "Yeah, painted it blue and navy for the Dubs"
                                          Big Fella: "Ah that's great stuff. Stevo, isn't that great stuff?"
                                          Little Fella: "Magic Damo"
                                          Big Fella: "Do you know what Vuvzela means pal?"
                                          Punter (Looking fascinated and delighted at the questions) "No, actually!"
                                          Big Fella: "It means if you blow that fucking horn again I'll shove it up your hole"

Explosions of laughter follow from the 50 or so people who had tuned into this conversation. Once they died down, the conversation continued...

Little Fella: "Here, Damo..."
                                          Big Fella: "Yeah Stevo"
                                          Little Fella: "You never told me you spoke South African"
                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

a lovely hatchet job
                                            The Tory party is about to foist a tasteless joke upon the British people. He cares for nothing but his own fame and gratification, says the former editor of the Daily Telegraph Max Hastings

Comment

Have been over in StatSports HQ in Newry a few times, they told me Dublin's use of their technology and analysis was up there with the Ireland Rugby team and Premiership Soccer outfits.
                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Would love it,love it if the USNWT crash out here

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                  You n me both. (AJ's multi sports comp)

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                    Jaysus they're a hateful bunch of cunts. Apparently even some of the media in America were disgusted with their antics in the game against Thailand, celebrating goals when going 9, 10 and 11-0 up like they were last minute winners.

Comment

Originally posted by limpwhacker View Post
                                                      You n me both. (AJ's multi sports comp)
                                                      Edit: Fckn yank bitches. Come on the spanis !!

Comment

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...Just sticking it up here due to the connection...On tonight's Rte crimecall there will be a special appeal on the Icelandic guy that went missing from the poker event over here back in February... odds are very slim, but if anyone from here was there that weekend, it may jig your memory in even the slightest way possible, and may even be of some relief to the family...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                              ...Just sticking it up here due to the connection...On tonight's Rte crimecall there will be a special appeal on the Icelandic guy that went missing from the poker event over here back in February... odds are very slim, but if anyone from here was there that weekend, it may jig your memory in even the slightest way possible, and may even be of some relief to the family...
                                                              He went missing on the first Saturday of the Festival and i was over the second weekend for the Deepstack game (Thurs-Sun) and the first i heard of it was the following week on the news. Altough maybe they didnt start a proper investigation till he missed his return flight?

Comment

That's a cracking story Kayroo. Pure Dublin.

Comment

Trivia time:

who was history's first dollar billionaire?

what rivers are the following cities on:
                                                                  • Prague
                                                                  • Moscow
                                                                  • Madrid
                                                                  • Florence
                                                                  • Melbourne?
                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Adjusted for inflation?

Comment

Really makes you wonder.....

Comment

Trivia time:

SPOILER

Hearst ?

hat rivers are the following cities on:
                                                                          • Prague - Valastavla (or something like that)
                                                                          • Moscow - Moscow
                                                                          • Madrid - Tagus ( City isn't really on a river it drains a few different ones afaik )
                                                                          • Florence - Arno
                                                                          • Melbourne? Yarra
                                                                          [

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                            Adjusted for inflation?
                                                                            I'm assuming actual dollars

Checked the answer, I got it wrong guessing based on when - was out by about 30 years

Comment

Adjusted for inflation?
                                                                              Tori wankur?

Will cost about £1000 after October 31st

Comment

Trivia time:

what rivers are the following cities on:
                                                                                • Prague
                                                                                • Moscow
                                                                                • Madrid
                                                                                • Florence
                                                                                • Melbourne?
                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                First Billionaire: Rockefeller

Melbourne: Yarra

Comment

Comment

Seems like RD3 might have had a lucky escape so, not all fantastic verdure and eames chairs after all.

Comment

Eoghan ODea 4/9 in the wsop 10k PLO

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                              Someone with far too many followers arguing with me on twitter because she was going 'why is everyone judging me for bringing around my four year old kid in a buggy'. Why the fck would a four year old be in a buggy?
                                                                                              We were in the park last weekend and left the pram in the car. The 2 year old was off to see the animals (yeah we were in Clondalkin) and it was a bit of a walk back for him. So I took the 5 year old back to the car with me to get the pram for the 2 year old, One the way back the 5 year old was knackered so I said hop in the pram. Jayz the looks as I wheeled him the 1k back to where his brother was. I was only recently thinking it would be great to visit eg Rome and hail a giant buggy for when yer feet got blistered and chill with a beer whilst nodding at the places of interest . But NO, too many HH types, who the fuck puts an ol lad in a parm? FK you HH FKKKK YOU

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                  Seems like RD3 might have had a lucky escape so, not all fantastic verdure and eames chairs after all.
                                                                                                  Deftly avoiding more insane replies, I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                    Zero appetite to discuss it tbh, though I see Mellors point.

HJ is the only one who I feel compelled to reply to.
                                                                                                    He's won too many poker related discussions over the years that I feel a need to try even the score whenever I can.

Comment

In the WW1 battlefields around Ypres, the Belgian army pick up all the unexploded ordnance that farmers churn up once a week and do a controlled explosion on it.

God knows how many bombs are still sitting quietly under German cities (or the jungles of Cambodia).
                                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Someone with far too many followers arguing with me on twitter because she was going 'why is everyone judging me for bringing around my four year old kid in a buggy'. Why the fck would a four year old be in a buggy?
                                                                                                        That the Maia Dunphy wan? Woman I know follows her and comments and RTs all her shite. Had to unfollow her. All her posts are just bullshit stories about her kids for clicks anyway. She comes across as a very needy weirdo

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                          Have been over in StatSports HQ in Newry a few times, they told me Dublin's use of their technology and analysis was up there with the Ireland Rugby team and Premiership Soccer outfits.
                                                                                                          They're giving it to IRFU and Dublin GAA for free from what I understand. We couldn't ever get near an IRFU deal because of this.

It's madness on their part (STATSSports)

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                                                            They're giving it to IRFU and Dublin GAA for free from what I understand. We couldn't ever get near an IRFU deal because of this.

It's madness on their part (STATSSports)
                                                                                                            I would have thought it's just very clever marketing. Surely it's very easy to sell it to other organisations when they can show it being successfully used by two (well at least one anyway) very successful organisations.
                                                                                                            Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Met her many moon ago at a PPP photoshoot, the usual Paddy Power style one - a few 'celebs' and a few models posing around whatever promotional materials brought along. She was there accompanying her father, who was one of the celebs used, she wasn't involved in the shoot.

What I found interesting was how pretty she was, she outshone the hired models, was a few years older than them of course. At one point one of the models complimented her on her looks (basically a 'oh, you could easily join in here, you're so beautiful'), to which her Dad jumped in with a chortling 'of course she's gorgeous, her mother was a beauty queen!'

She seemed like a nice enough person anyhow, wasn't famous at the time IIRC.

Comment

A bizarre online argument to persue Hitch. You ok
                                                                                                                Last edited by The Situation; 25-06-19, 09:51.
                                                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Back when babies in buggys could get into the zoo free, I was ten in a buggy while 6 year old brother was a 'babe in arms'

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                    A bizarre online argument to persue Hitch. You ok
                                                                                                                    encouraged by his success in bullying french academics, hitch has ventured onto vacuous twitter personalities.
                                                                                                                    It's like gaining XP in an RPG, he'll be here in 6 months slaying all before him

Comment

The sequel to probably the greatest hip hop album of last ten years (Pinata) is out Friday. Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - Bandana

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana: https://smarturl.it/xBandanax"Crime Pays"An Object and Animal ProductionExecutive Producer : Justin Beneoliel (@objectandan...
                                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                        Sly digs are a bit out of character for you Tar.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Mellor; 25-06-19, 10:29.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X