Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    I would agree with that wholeheartedly.

How did the people who invented such an elemental, thrilling sporting spectacle as hurling also manage to invent the turgid shite that is football? Mystifying.
    Seemingly one of the rising stars of hurling is an Iraqi lad. Scored a (from my no clue about the sport vantage point) screamer of a point today to win some inter-county thing for Leitrim.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      Seemingly one of the rising stars of hurling is an Iraqi lad. Scored a (from my no clue about the sport vantage point) screamer of a point today to win some inter-county thing for Leitrim.
      More research needed! [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
        A copy of????
        Itself. What else is a photocopy a copy of?

Repetitive banality, year after year, with some minor changes.

Comment

Itself. What else is a photocopy a copy of?

Repetitive banality, year after year, with some minor changes.
          Oh right, have you not in essence described every single sport in the world?

Comment

Oh right, have you not in essence described every single sport in the world?
            Nope. Athletics breaks new ground constantly.

Comment

Nope. Athletics breaks new ground constantly.
              Discovering new undetectable drugs is not breaking new ground.

Comment

I get your point though. Most sport is photocopied entertainment. GAA is just the least exciting of them.

Comment

I get your point though. Most sport is photocopied entertainment. GAA is just the least exciting of them.
                  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that!

I also absolutely get your point but I think it's not a GAA 'issue' more sort in general, I am from a GAA stronghold and am shall we say rather invested in the organisation so am horribly biased etc.[emoji16]

Comment

GAA is mostly not about the sport, it's cultural identity.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Discovering new undetectable drugs is not breaking new ground.
                      A lot of questions and suspicions around the sport for sure, these days. I'll give you that.

A ton of clean athletes though breaking ground.

Bannister breaking 4 for the mile in 1954 was mind blowing. It's now almost expected from elite milers. The world record holder for the beer mile did it in 4:24. That's drinking four beers while running a mile.

Kipchoge will break 2 hours for the marathon, he's attempting it again this year. When he does, just like Bannister it will become the standard.

In forty years time a 2 hour marathon will be commonplace.

Barring aesthetics, 1954 GAA is no different to today.

Comment

May aswel lay my cards on the table. It's it's close ties to the catholic church that stings me.

'The parish'

Comment

I'm sorry but that's bollox!

Both codes are unidentifiable from even 20 years ago, standards, fitness, equipment, training, etc. are all leagues apart from where they were.

Comment

jaysus I genuinely couldn't tell if you were trolling in your first couple of posts or you just have a deep hatred for the GAA. It's a mixture of both going by that comment.

Comment

Tribalism is the worst.

Comment

May aswel lay my cards on the table. It's it's close ties to the catholic church that stings me.

'The parish'
                                Should learn to read on before quoting. Deep hatred it is

Comment

I'm sorry but that's bollox!

Both codes are unidentifiable from even 20 years ago, standards, fitness, equipment, training, etc. are all leagues apart from where they were.
                                  Fair.

I suppose someone like you, invested in the sport, knowing the ins and outs and fine details can see what I can't.

I just see same ould same ould.

Maybe that's a me problem, to quote luckylloyd.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                    Should learn to read on before quoting. Deep hatred it is
                                    Can't handle the conservative catholic gabardine kit colours.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Thread is in bits. I'll just come back next week.

Comment

You've never seen the Carlow jersey I take it!

Comment

I've seen you make that argument before. I still dont get it. Ita not like they all wear black or something.

Comment

You're fairly limited to what you can do with a Jersey anyway. Look at the PL and I doubt they give a shit about Catholicism or the parish and the shirts are fairly plain. Sometimes you get an outrageous 3rd kit but the home and away would be fairly bland.

You can just say you hate things without needing an excuse. It's ok to hate stuff.

Comment

You're fairly limited to what you can do with a Jersey anyway. Look at the PL and I doubt they give a shit about Catholicism or the parish and the shirts are fairly plain. Sometimes you get an outrageous 3rd kit but the home and away would be fairly bland.

You can just say you hate things without needing an excuse. It's ok to hate stuff.
                                                I you dobby.

Comment

GFYL

Comment

Them race jockeys and their colours . Dirty Catholic bastards the lot of them.
                                                    The hurling for example is sensational to watch . Every other viewpoint is wrong. That church get out Lazare ??? You can do better than that.
                                                    Hurling should be a world sport. Where did we fail ?

Comment

Paul G did a great job with this years Kerry away jersey tbf
                                                      Football is shocking shite sometimes VF, like the standard of shot taking on goal is awful, fisted goals make my eyes bleed as does lads picking the ball of the ground when they could just shoot (genuinely unsure , even after 16 years playing it whether shooting off the ground is against rules or whether it was just discouraged because it’s soccer shite.
                                                      Still better then watching fat sexual deviant cabbages run into each other (rugby)

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                        Football is shocking shite sometimes VF, like the standard of shot taking on goal is awful, fisted goals make my eyes bleed as does lads picking the ball of the ground when they could just shoot (genuinely unsure , even after 16 years playing it whether shooting off the ground is against rules or whether it was just discouraged because it’s soccer shite.
                                                        Still better then watching fat sexual deviant cabbages run into each other (rugby)
                                                        Not against the rules and drives me insane. Sometimes I play inside if the opposition have a big full back and the amount of times I'd slide a ball in front of an incoming team mate to just shoot on goal and he tries to pick it up is infuriating.

Comment

Sport is predominately for the participator not the spectator.
                                                          Kinda like fucking.
                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                            Hurling should be a world sport. Where did we fail ?
                                                            Our deep suspicion of nefarious foreigners meant we never really tried.
                                                            We knew (as the English had discovered with soccer) that if your game becomes a worldwide sport then you can't expect to retain any control over it. Pedro, Gunther and Ahmed will want to shape it their way.

And maintaining complete Croke Park control over all the structures was considered by far the most important thing.

In places where inroads could have been made (west coast USA in the 90s) we actively discouraged expansion by stopping Irish players playing and helping the locals because they might earn a disgusting professional dollar.

Comment

Definitely discouraged cause ''oh no the brits do that in their game''. Twice I scored headers and got taken off in underage gah ball and warned off doing it again.

A bitter sport held back by bitter men.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                Our deep suspicion of nefarious foreigners meant we never really tried.

We knew (as the English had discovered with soccer) that if your game becomes a worldwide sport then you can't expect to retain any control over it. Pedro, Gunther and Ahmed will want to shape it their way.

And maintaining complete Croke Park control over all the structures was considered by far the most important thing.

In places where inroads could have been made (west coast USA in the 90s) we actively discouraged expansion by stopping Irish players playing and helping the locals because they might earn a disgusting professional dollar.
                                                                [emoji85] complete bollox, there are over 200 GAA clubs in the US alone, all supported and funded from HQ, New York play in the AI Championship for God sake.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                                  Definitely discouraged cause ''oh no the brits do that in their game''. Twice I scored headers and got taken off in underage gah ball and warned off doing it again.

Ball came to me around halfway line, 2 bigger lads running at me so knocked it passed them instead if trying to pick up, ran at goal from there with ball on ground and scored

Our team celebrated, they complained to the priest/ref, he was a bollix

Did something similar a few minutes later... Didn't go down well

*Was made pretty obvious by the other team that if I tried it again that it might not work out well for me
                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 24-06-19, 05:33. Reason: *

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                      A downpour on what is otherwise expected to be a hot day has turned the morning into a surprise wet t-shirt contest. What a glorious day!
                                                                      That's every day here for the last 6 weeks.

Just without the 'expected to be a hot day' bit. It all dates back to PSV posting about climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool
                                                                        Modding a forum like this though tends to turn people off posting and quickly makes them sick of the squabbling and constant close to the line posting of some, which then makes them less likely to care enough to action posts, never mind be able to do it fairly and take context into account.
                                                                        not getting into it in the other place because it's a waste of time but if you take the above to it's obvious conclusion there's only one real reason that only a single person has weathered the storm and is still in place 14 years later...and it's not altruism no matter what other fans of a certain team would try and have people believe
                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                          not getting into it in the other place because it's a waste of time but if you take the above to it's obvious conclusion there's only one real reason that only a single person has weathered the storm and is still in place 14 years later...and it's not altruism no matter what other fans of a certain team would try and have people believe
                                                                          I'm pretty sure the place would be better if that person didn't remain a mod, but that's a different matter. I had the likes of you in mind when I said that. In fact I think you may have made a similar point yourself, in terms of being put off posting because you were then seen as a mod first poster second, rather than the other way around as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                            I'm pretty sure the place would be better if that person didn't remain a mod, but that's a different matter. I had the likes of you in mind when I said that. In fact I think you may have made a similar point yourself, in terms of being put off posting because you were then seen as a mod first poster second, rather than the other way around as it should be.
                                                                            Indeed, that's exactly the truth. It becomes hard, almost impossible even, to enjoy participating when you're also the gatekeeper. Only in the context of a forum where a % of people are only interested in waging war on another section of posters of course.

As always when quantity increases quality suffers. The united thread for example is impossible to wade through now, the only posters left are the ones that use volume to push their single minded narrative rather than actually engage with worthwhile chat. I've more united fans on ignore in that forum than any other cohort of fans.
                                                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Lads in mayo come out of the womb in the jersey. Must be so boring coming from Dublin and winning everything. You defacto win and somehow people care, that is how it is? Not that I've been paying attention much, just what I imagine it is like.
                                                                              Don't really take my opinion into account, love playing sport and hate watching, it's too simple so i just like watching computer games

Had my bday party at the weekend, i never really drink any more but was being given pints of g+t's at that, thought I had a good handle on things but clearly don't know what was really going on as somebody there messaged me today saying sorry they won't be able to make it to dinner in Barcelona with me? Haha!

Loved this that my friend drew for me, my life in a nutshell:

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-06-19, 09:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                Lads in mayo come out of the womb in the jersey. Must be so boring coming from Dublin and winning everything. You defacto win and somehow people care, that is how it is? Not that I've been paying attention much, just what I imagine it is like.
                                                                                Don't really take my opinion into account, love playing sport and hate watching, it's too simple so i just like watching computer games

Had my bday party at the weekend, i never really drink any more but was being given pints of g+t's at that, thought I had a good handle on things but clearly don't know what was really going on as somebody there messaged me today saying sorry they won't be able to make it to dinner in Barcelona with me? Haha!
                                                                                Very few teams have had a 100% record in a season like Sligo have had this year. Amazing consistency in the football. It'd bring a tear to the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

Ha I remember a lad getting subbed off for scoring a goal with his head in an u12 game when I was playing. Have definitely seen lads in modern intercounty spurn clear kick off the ground goal chances to pick the ball up and score a Grammy fisted point, it’s disgusting
                                                                                  Always wonder about the size of the back room teams these days, it’s a game with all the strategic depth of a game of snap

Comment

My late Father would swear and throw things at the TV when the Dubs were playing. He called them a rabble of over-eaters, drinkers, smokers when they lost and when they won there were the finest men in Ireland . He suffered ill health since I’d ever known him so he never made it to Croke Park in my lifetime however when as a lad I went to Croker he’d be lying on the sofa holding his belly , the odd grimace from pain and ask me to describe every details about the day. From the language on the HILL to what the opposition fans were saying on the walk up Clonliffe Road, he ask questions after questions so I’d have to make up stuff as I wasn’t paying that much attention . I was more into the experience of the big match day etc. Anyway, he was a highly intelligent man who turned into a soccer type lout when watching GAA, something I always found amusing about him. The Irish Rugby team also drove him demented. He didn’t care about the Intl soccer so much. It’s still a special day the All Ireland, no matter who plays in it even if a little of the romance has gone from the game.

Comment

Would splitting Dublin in 2 be a solution at all?

Comment

Sure stick yer Gaa memories down. I'm sure there might be a good yarn or two to read of a dull monda

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                          They'd be killings depending on the divide.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                            Swap it for Derry with the Brits?

Comment

Ha I remember a lad getting subbed off for scoring a goal with his head in an u12 game when I was playing. Have definitely seen lads in modern intercounty spurn clear kick off the ground goal chances to pick the ball up and score a Grammy fisted point, it’s disgusting
                                                                                              Always wonder about the size of the back room teams these days, it’s a game with all the strategic depth of a game of snap
                                                                                              I can tell you for complete certainty that the Dublin senior hurlers had 3-4 "analysts" for all games during the 2015 season (league & championship) so take from that what you will and extrapolate accordingly.

Comment

Sure stick yer Gaa memories down. I'm sure there might be a good yarn or two to read of a dull monda
                                                                                                Played soccer goalkeeper for the school, not really involved with the GAA other than the interclass games where played outfield.
                                                                                                But got shanghai-ed to play in goal for the GAA team in the first round of the Dublin schools competition when they were short players "you play in goal don't you, you'll do".

Managed to do the following in the 25 minutes before being hooked.

Deliberately palmed a dangerous cross over the bar for a corner.
                                                                                                Did a (superbly accurate) overarm long throw out to a defender.
                                                                                                Caught the ball with a great diving save, but forget you can't just lie there for 4 seconds whilst everyone backs off.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                  The difference between now and previous eras of dominance was that the previous gap was caused by a difference in talent.

Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone dont lack talent when compared to Dublin, the gap now is resources which Dublin have a major advantage in.
                                                                                                  Out of curiosity, what "resources" are you referencing?
                                                                                                  And how do you think they benefit a team, if its not talent/skill development?

As on the face of it, the above just comes across as a backhanded comment.

Comment

Never knew Strewelpeter was Solks' dad.

Funny old world to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                      Out of curiosity, what "resources" are you referencing?
                                                                                                      And how do you think they benefit a team, if its not talent/skill development?

As on the face of it, the above just comes across as a backhanded comment.

How is that a backhanded comment? What do you think I'm referring to when I say resources exactly?

When I say talent, I mean innate talent, the reason why Dublin get to the level they are at is not because they have suddenly produced superior "talent", it is because their resources have afforded them the luxury to develop their teams in a such a way that other's cannot because they don't have the resources to match.

My example above, the hurlers have 3-4 paid analysts to use at their disposal, do you think other county boards have similar resources for their senior team in any code, let alone the code that isn't primary focus?

One can of course argue the value of analysts or whatever else in GAA but it's a representation of what they afford to do above other counties.

Comment

How is that a backhanded comment? What do you think I'm referring to when I say resources exactly?

When I say talent, I mean innate talent, the reason why Dublin get to the level they are at is not because they have suddenly produced superior "talent", it is because their resources have afforded them the luxury to develop their teams in a such a way that other's cannot because they don't have the resources to match.

My example above, the hurlers have 3-4 paid analysts to use at their disposal, do you think other county boards have similar resources for their senior team in any code, let alone the code that isn't primary focus?

One can of course argue the value of analysts or whatever else in GAA but it's a representation of what they afford to do above other counties.
                                                                                                        The Hurlers are hardly tearing down trees ( apart from the Ash) so these analysts should be fired .
                                                                                                        From a football prospective the skill level requirement is not very high (lets be honest here ). The fitness should not be an issue . So what resources are available that should make such a difference ? Numbers playing is all I can come up with.

Comment

AJ's reminded me & I think I've posted before, also a keeper story, although I think I was put in goals due to being shite

Made hurling goalkeeping debut at half time u-13 or so when other lad hooked cause he wouldn't dive in mud

First save, full strech dive, I knocked one out of the top corner, old lads behind goal...jasus son, that's the best save I've seen on this pitch...yadi yada

I'm loving it until next shot, fella spins about 15 yards out, hits full pelt thru crowd, I didn't see it, missed my head by inches

Turn to auld lads... Think I'm playing the wrong game lads, couple of minutes later, ball comes into the square, I chest it down(plastic slyther), take on my knee and kick the full back with the outside of my left foot

Auld lads staring at me...lads I'm definitely playing the wrong game...aye son, start laughing

Next game I start, given shitty visor for the sun, miss two balls on air due to visor(and me being shit)...hooked, hurling career over

*Just comparing to AJ's, too similar....no wonder the GAA lads called us all soccerboys (and worse) when ever we show up at the GAA
                                                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 24-06-19, 11:23. Reason: *

Comment

The Hurlers are hardly tearing down trees ( apart from the Ash) so these analysts should be fired .
                                                                                                            From a football prospective the skill level requirement is not very high (lets be honest here ). The fitness should not be an issue . So what resources are available that should make such a difference ? Numbers playing is all I can come up with.
                                                                                                            Come on if it was just about being fit no bother flog the lads doing laps and sprints and strength work. I t takes considerable skill to kick a point when there is a man pulling and dragging out of you the same goes for soloing the ball. Kick passing fielding anticipating a runner in space all skills. If it was just about size and speed I’d Have a couple of all Ireland’s with Galway in 1998 and 2001 instead of Derek savage or padraig Joyce. I did once get subbed immediately after missing an easy goal chance in a minor challenge game caught a lovely high ball shouldered the full back outta the way and blasted wide from 8 yards out. I was immediately called a shore threw the jersey at the manager as came off only played one gaa match after stuck to egg ball.
                                                                                                            .

Comment

Sorry Mick the skill levels in football are dwarfed by the Hurlers. Sure quite a lot of footballers couldn't even play a game of Leinster League soccer without tripping over the ball. Ooops a can of worms there.

Comment

Any restaurant recommendations for Vilamoura?

Comment

Yes but as I said, it's not about the value they provide-little in my opinion- but it demonstrates the resources they have at their dispoasl to gain any type of small advantage if it exists.

I agree the skill level to play football is not particularly high when compared to hurling but obviously to play at a county level it's significantly higher and the margins are tight, Dublin have an abundance of advantages at those margins.

Dublin have the advantage in revenue, numbers, facilities, exposure to name a few. Dublin retain their best players because the players also see the advantages of playing for Dublin -regardless of result- has on their professional/personal life.
                                                                                                                  Take Daniel Flynn for Kildare, arguably their best player last season, drops off the panel, if he played for Dublin and they bowed out as Kildare did do you think he's as likely to drop off the Dublin panel given the additional exposure you get for being part of that set up?

When you say fitness levels, what exactly are you referring to? It's not quite as simple as running laps here? Keane & Dobby will tell you that there was a marked drop off in the conditioning of the Kerry senior team when Cian O'Neil left, guys at that level are not particularly easy to replace so gaps in "fitness" will arise.

Dublin have use of DCU's high performance unit which to my knowledge is the best in the country, I suspect some advantages exist there too.

They had a top sports nutritionist who I know took a huge role in sports nutrition department with a big food group a few years ago.

All of the above are small advantages but they add up and that's only the hurlers who arent winning anything.

Comment

You do have to wonder is BoJo actively trying to self-sabotage his own campaign. Coming across as potentially abusive and a coward atm.

Comment

You do have to wonder is BoJo actively trying to self-sabotage his own campaign. Coming across as potentially abusive and a coward atm.

I always thought he wanted to take over after brexit tbh, the great saviour, claiming he would have done it better

Stating the obvious and all but Moggs lack of interest in the big job up til now is explained by what is happening to Boris

Imagine Moggs life and financial history getting a proper looking at, better to run country from the back benches and make millions off the back of it
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Guest; 24-06-19, 11:50.

Comment

Black Mirror

SPOILER
                                                                                                                        Andrew Scott really carried that. Enjoyable episode but it only worked as it was a deranged Irish man

The Terror is looking promising, think I'd watch anything with Ciran Hinds and Harris, even with his strange accent.

Comment

Suggesting that success is not due to talent/skill, regardless of how it's achieved, is backhanded, imo.
                                                                                                                          I'm aware of many resources but most would improve talent and ability. Which is why I asked what resources you were referring to. Shoukd be a straight forward to list.

Innate talent? You think killkenny dominated hurling becauce people in that tiny county are born with a genetic predisposition to hurling? Technical ability is a learned trait.

You claim they aren't producing superior talent. Then, in the same sentence, claim they are better able to develop their team? A bit of a contradiction. Either they are producing/developing better players, or they aren't.

My example above, the hurlers have 3-4 paid analysts to use at their disposal, do you think other county boards have similar resources for their senior team in any code, let alone the code that isn't primary focus?.
                                                                                                                          Whether other counties can afford the same resources isn't relevant to my point.
                                                                                                                          Nor am I suggesting that resources don't benefit.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X