Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    The bit that is making me think they are bots is that they have such ridiculously Irish sounding names that it can't possibly be real.
    I occasionally browse the Daily Express and Daily Telegraph comment sections on Brexit stories to try to gauge their readerships' ongoing reactions to and opinions of the latest goings on... have always thought that despite the well-known political leanings of said readerships, there must be some kind of messing going on in the comments. Not saying it is the Russians and/or automatic bots, could be a good old-fashioned troll farm of real-life activists located somewhere in middle England, but I just doubt the authenticity of the mob mentality I read. Too easy to whip up emotion and mass feelings via misuse of social media and other commentary channels, like you don't have to be clever or particularly devious to do it! It's really very sad how easy it has become to manipulate things like this.

Comment

One from last year in cash game

I get it in with 910dd on 7d8d2x flop for chunks. Board bricks and I'm to show so say 10 high. Guy looks a bit sheepish at this stage, so I show, he mucks and starts walking. Dealer tries to call him back asking "are you sure" and delays mucking his cards One of the first dealers to get an earful from me
      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Only go in once a month for the EOM but haven't had any problems recently. There's a red haired female dealer who I think is excellent.

Comment

Posted something on Twitter about Russia that got a lot of retweets. Now I'm normally a fan of Russia stuff (well I think they are not too bad), but this tweet seems to have got suspiciously high retweets from bots that is now making me doubt that maybe the Russians are up to something.
          Russians, up to something?

You need to look closer to home - at the liberal, abortionist, homosexual, multiracial, faceless eurocrat, George Soros, Bilderberg aliens! They're to blame for everything, including the holocaust and veganism.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
            I've played in the Fitz a lot, and you take the good with the bad. But there's usually some sort of structure for a tournament.

I arrived 10 mins late and paid and went upstairs. There was some oulwan that still hadn't been seated yet, so stood there for 2/3 mins. Then we were told to just take seats 1 and 2 at a table. She asked if she can have seat 1, so I jumped into seat 2. It took another few mins for our chips to arrive. Was meant to be a 10k stack, we were both given 9k.

An hour in, they asked for the next BB to be moved. The dealer sent the next 2 big blinds. We bust a couple of players and we're down to 6 players. I asked for another player was told there was only 7 mins left til the break and we should get another player then...

Lots of people had their chips and cards over the lines, are string betting and checking, but not checking. Folding out of turn, but no dealer said anything.

The first all-in was a guy for 31600. The dealer took 36600. He laid both stacks in a neat line so was easy to see. I pointed it out and it took a few mins of 'are you sure' and counting the chips. I felt like I did something wrong.

Another dealer, in the space of 15 mins counted all-in stacks wrong 3 times, and mis-dealt. I only called him on the first 2 because I was starting to feel like a prick. It's not fkin ticket science. As for knowing when to take full ante v half ante...

The fact I stone bubbled in 10th to a donkey AQ<A6 for heaps didn't help, but poor Fergus took the bad beat of the night. Guy opens to 17k at blinds 1500/3000. Fergus tanks and shoves 73k. He is almost beaten into the pot and your man proudly turns over the 106s and flops 2 pairs.

Maybe the standard of play has rubbed off on the staff, and there's still a ton of value in the games,. but they really need to get their act together.
            Oh I can feel the tilt factor rising in me just reading that! Wouldn’t have happened in Luke’s day...
            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
              Only go in once a month for the EOM but haven't had any problems recently. There's a red haired female dealer who I think is excellent.
              All of the dealers I mentioned were male. I think we had that dealer for about 5 mins before s break.

Comment

I've played in the Fitz a lot, and you take the good with the bad. But there's usually some sort of structure for a tournament.

I arrived 10 mins late and paid and went upstairs. There was some oulwan that still hadn't been seated yet, so stood there for 2/3 mins. Then we were told to just take seats 1 and 2 at a table. She asked if she can have seat 1, so I jumped into seat 2. It took another few mins for our chips to arrive. Was meant to be a 10k stack, we were both given 9k.

An hour in, they asked for the next BB to be moved. The dealer sent the next 2 big blinds. We bust a couple of players and we're down to 6 players. I asked for another player was told there was only 7 mins left til the break and we should get another player then...

Lots of people had their chips and cards over the lines, are string betting and checking, but not checking. Folding out of turn, but no dealer said anything.

The first all-in was a guy for 31600. The dealer took 36600. He laid both stacks in a neat line so was easy to see. I pointed it out and it took a few mins of 'are you sure' and counting the chips. I felt like I did something wrong.

Another dealer, in the space of 15 mins counted all-in stacks wrong 3 times, and mis-dealt. I only called him on the first 2 because I was starting to feel like a prick. It's not fkin ticket science. As for knowing when to take full ante v half ante...

The fact I stone bubbled in 10th to a donkey AQ<A6 for heaps didn't help, but poor Fergus took the bad beat of the night. Guy opens to 17k at blinds 1500/3000. Fergus tanks and shoves 73k. He is almost beaten into the pot and your man proudly turns over the 106s and flops 2 pairs.

Maybe the standard of play has rubbed off on the staff, and there's still a ton of value in the games,. but they really need to get their act together.
                Now I'm just intrigued by the nuance of ticket science

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                  Now I'm just intrigued by the nuance of ticket science
                  I must have fixed 10 autocorrects in that before I posted it too. Stupid fat fingers 😁

Comment

I think there is a lot of shilling going on on twitter, I notice it with far right/nationalist posts too, a lot of traditional Irish names and photos of the likes of Michael Collins bigging up Gemma O'Doherty and her ilk... all seem very similar - Irish flag emoticons and the same old drivel, but then again maybe it's just the breed of those types.
                    Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Getting ready for Metallica.

Tee:

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I think someone was looking for a heads up for tailors mark here before, 40% off until Sunday with code Dad40

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                            Getting ready for Metallica.

Tee:

That is disconcertingly amusing for something associated with vegans and metallica fans

Wrap up warm, it could get very cold later on tomorrow. Last night I had to cover a whole load of plants from frost that I never had to after the third week of May before, global warming my arse.
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                              I occasionally browse the Daily Express and Daily Telegraph comment sections on Brexit stories to try to gauge their readerships' ongoing reactions to and opinions of the latest goings on... have always thought that despite the well-known political leanings of said readerships, there must be some kind of messing going on in the comments. Not saying it is the Russians and/or automatic bots, could be a good old-fashioned troll farm of real-life activists located somewhere in middle England, but I just doubt the authenticity of the mob mentality I read. Too easy to whip up emotion and mass feelings via misuse of social media and other commentary channels, like you don't have to be clever or particularly devious to do it! It's really very sad how easy it has become to manipulate things like this.
                              All the English papers are riddled with bots, only thing is how badly they want to fix it

Papers like the mail, the express or the Torygraph are happy for it as it needs into there core reader anyhu and keeps the hits coming

Apparently something like 50% of comments on daily mail site a couple of years ago were bots, they knew and didn't care

Guardian etc, not so sure, they defo don't close troll/bot accounts like they could but it's the same right-wing shite being pumped out

Comment

Have got the itch to play some live poker again. Zero interest in playing online.

Was going to go the Fitz EoM last month but ended up making other plans. Might be in Dublin for work this month. What time does it usually finish up at?

Comment

Has anybody read any good books on the recent rise of right wing populism in the West?

Comment

Comment

What rise? It's mainly been falling away.
                                      Re-emergence in political circles no?

Just a quick take so happy to be wrong and not sure of previous distribution but 11/28 EU states with some type of populist alignment? Perhaps higher than the past 2 decades?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                        Has anybody read any good books on the recent rise of right wing populism in the West?
                                        Na, but

Destroy social structure
                                        Sell off all public resources to pay for tax breaks
                                        Pump out dumb kids into dumb schools
                                        Flood media with cheap content
                                        Ignore the long fix as it takes time and you might not win the next election
                                        Accept zero responsibility for your actions
                                        Find someone to blame

Complain about the destruction of social structure while nimbying the shit out of it
                                        Call anyone who asks uncomfortable questions a racist
                                        Sneer at people who are fucked
                                        Get comfortable in an ivory tower
                                        Slag off Christian religion while defending other religions
                                        Virtue signal like a motherfucker
                                        Find someone to blame

That's both sides books covered

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                          Na, but

Destroy social structure
                                          Find someone to blame

Complain about the destruction of social structure while nimbying the shit out of it
                                          Find someone to blame

MIEN MAN OF was a riot

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                            Na, but

Destroy social structure
                                            Find someone to blame

Find someone to blame

MIEN KAMPF was a riot

Comment

All of this brings back painful memories. I left because I felt that what little improvements I made were being rolled back; I realised I was wasting my time. A good example is the setup, they assign the newest dealers to set the tournament up, of which the most important work is making up the chips stacks and putting them out. Literally every week one of the dealers would make a mistake, either due to inexperience or incompetence. Usually the TD or someone would spot it. At one EOM every table was setup with 20k stacks, but one table all had 25k. This is a problem because a 25k stack looks fine. I was the tournament director, and we only noticed the mistake about 30mins in - so we added 5k to every other stack in the tournament! (Which seemed like a more elegant solution than removing 5k from everyone at that table). It would be funny if it wasn't a regular occurance.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                Oh I can feel the tilt factor rising in me just reading that! Wouldn’t have happened in Luke’s day...
                                                Perhaps not, but lots of other shady things would!

Comment

Best sub €300 android available at the moment?
                                                  Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Has anyone read Guns, Germs & Steel? Starting it on sunday

Comment

biggest party in France in most recent election?

Comment

Governing party in Italy
                                                        Governing party in Hungary
                                                        Coalescing in Austria (although government just fell)

and, for the craic: AfD have 12.6% of the vote. An all-time high (since, ahem, the unpleasantness) for the far-right in Germany, of all fucking places.

So, I assume you meant the opposite of what you said.

Comment

Why do you say that?

Here is an infogram I saw earlier on the % shift from 08-18 of populist party vote across European countries:

I chose the book What is Populism by Jan-Werner Mueller.

Although a 2005 book The People by Margaret Canovan sounds very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                            some flashbacks there
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Anyone thinking of buying Chris de Burghs old gaff? Can't see it getting the €12.5m. And lol at the 30 mins to Dublin airport. The only way you're doing that is in a chopper.

An exquisite early 19th-century country home privately positioned within a picture-postcard scene, nearby to Enniskerry village and just 13 miles from Dublin...
                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Biggest and most prestigious international World Cup event of the year across all sports kicks off tonight, shameful stuff that nobody’s organized a sweep here, sexism alive and well on the BBV
                                                                Last edited by Guest; 07-06-19, 16:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                  Shady things like??? Give us some juice

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                    One of the best I've read. Diamond is a genius, I'm mid-way through his current offering https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41716904-upheaval
                                                                    It's pretty interesting and quite pertinent to the current politic climate, you can see how remnants of previous political crisis have similarities to events such as Brexit & US politics though he hasn't really gone into them as of yet.

He appeared last week at Dalkey Book Festival, he sold out the Mansion House.
                                                                    Guns, Germs & Steel is better than similarly popular books in that genre such as Sapiens imo, thoroughly enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                      One of the best I've read. Diamond is a genius, I'm mid-way through his current offering https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41716904-upheaval
                                                                      It's pretty interesting and quite pertinent to the current politic climate, you can see how remnants of previous political crisis have similarities to events such as Brexit & US politics though he hasn't really gone into them as of yet.

He appeared last week at Dalkey Book Festival, he sold out the Mansion House.
                                                                      Guns, Germs & Steel is better than similarly popular books in that genre such as Sapiens imo, thoroughly enjoyable.
                                                                      Collapse is another one of his that is uber relevant to where we are today

Comment

Ah no, I was in blissful ignorance until now. Guess it should just be assumed that you're usually get done when you're playing poker.

Comment

Not sure if Keane is the only one who can link the invite but for anyone interested in the group:

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                  Some familar faces playing. Just the casual 1k/2k blinds.

🤩 Did someone say CASH GAME?!? 📣 The Triton Jeju 2019 No Limit Holdem Cash Game has finally been released, featuring the likes of Tom Dwan, Andrew Robl, Je...

Opr
                                                                                  Did you watch this Opr?

Nanonoko does a perfect job of talking about hands, and then staying quite while the guys are talking or telling a story. It's been a pretty entertaining 4 eps so far. JRB just seems like such a horrible, self-entitled cnut any time i see him in a cash game. And Bobby Baldwin is like the drink uncle that talks crap non-stop, and is one of the worse players i have ever seen in a game of poker. He really really really wants to be Durrrr's best friend too!

Comment

I've got an ever growing list of books to go through however, behind the bastards podcast is sucking up my traditional reading time. Addictive stuff
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Ana Kriegel trial is depressing.
                                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                        Brother recommended me this so I'd read it.

Comment

...

Comment

Saw a post about some Italian politician being a former porn star and *famously* fucking a horse. Went to find the clip and couldn't find it. But didn't and instead watched loads of other horse porn. It's quite something.
                                                                                            Ah the dogs wearing mittens on their front paws so they don't scratch is the stuff you want

Comment

Saw a post about some Italian politician being a former porn star and *famously* fucking a horse. Went to find the clip and couldn't find it. But didn't and instead watched loads of other horse porn. It's quite something.
                                                                                              Assume it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilona_Staller though no mention of horses.

Comment

Comment

Italy is a dead country of old people.

Meh Hungary.

Austria hasn't worked out and Germany has fallen AfD support.

Racism isn't what it used to be.
                                                                                                  Jaykers, it's like the heart has gone out of you. You're like a Trump pastiche!

At least invent some semi-convincing facts or something.

As per hotspur's excellent post:

Comment

Read some awful review of his most recent book?

Guns, Germs is phenomenal though.
                                                                                                    I'm halfway through now, Harari thought highly of it. It's an interesting concept

SPOILER
                                                                                                    Basically has 12 factors which contribute to the nations ability to recover from national crisis, strong national identity being one which seems pretty relevant now.

He uses a few examples, post WW2 Germany, Pinochet Chile, post Shogun Japan, Finland WW2 among others, moving on to Australia now.

I can see how it's pretty polarizing, he acknowledges the various atrocities but it sometimes feels a reach that the countries subsequent successes can be attributed to their ability to thrive as a result of national crisis.

Also the fact that he outlines factors like strong national identity as well as national consensus that one’s nation is in crisis, the acceptance of national responsibility to do something among others give the impression of a somewhat right wing narrative.
                                                                                                    I don't think that's the agenda by any means.

I suspect a better understanding of the historical events would give the reader an ability to be more critical but lots of the info is relatively new to me anyway so some of his argument is probably wasted on me.

I think he gets in to how personal crisis can be viewed in a similar manner so looking forward to getting through it.

Comment

...

Comment

And where exactly is the 20% Irish vote for right wing populism in that link?

I can't believe you made me interrupt horse porn for that level of stupidity.
                                                                                                        Ireland is clearly a rather excellent outlier. We prefer to vote for local headbangers rather than demagogues.

Liking the attempt at diversion though. Just say 'fake news!' You know you want to.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

The sad heart-wrenching thing for you is that Hotspur, as a numbers and logic guy, is going to come on and confirm those stats aren't related to right wing populism.
                                                                                                                Let's await his arrival.

In the meantime, you might supply the stats in support of your argument.

Comment

In not unsurprising news, Hazard officially joins Real.

Comment

New divine comedy album is class, this track is both comedy and musical genius
                                                                                                                    Neil Hannon

Comment

Diamond put in a good turn on BBC's start the week podcast this week talking about his new book on pschyoanalysis for countries.

Comment

Did you watch this Opr?

Nanonoko does a perfect job of talking about hands, and then staying quite while the guys are talking or telling a story. It's been a pretty entertaining 4 eps so far. JRB just seems like such a horrible, self-entitled cnut any time i see him in a cash game. And Bobby Baldwin is like the drink uncle that talks crap non-stop, and is one of the worse players i have ever seen in a game of poker. He really really really wants to be Durrrr's best friend too!
                                                                                                                        Yeah been watching them. The poker hasn't been that interesting but the table talk has been good fun at times. It is hard to be that invested when you have so many poor players at the table, you know so little of the dynamic/history between them or really anything about them. I don't think Baldwin is that bad but he certainly plays up the fool angle. Tom seems to have exited GOD mode from when we last seen him playing on the likes of HSP and PAD. The next set filmed on the last Triton stop with Jungle, Loeliger, Dwan etc should be good.

Currently watching the 5th one. Given your views on JRB you should enjoy it

Opr

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X