Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    What party are ye?

Fianna Fail

Fuck off
    While many of the faces will be new, some of the names will be familiar. In the local and European elections, candidates are the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of well-known politicians. In Kerry there are Healy-Raes, a Ferris and a Griffin, and in Tipperary there are Lowrys and Mattie McGrath’s daughter, Máirín, is running for the first time. In Dublin, Charles Haughey’s grandson Cathal is running for Fianna Fáil, as is his distant cousin Hannah Lemass, great-granddaughter of Seán Lemass and granddaughter of the former TD Eileen Lemass. Emer Currie, daughter of the Fine Gael presidential candidate Austin, is running for the party in Dublin. There are more all over the country. Even in the European elections, President Higgins’s daughter, Alice Mary Higgins, is running as an independent, and Barry Andrews, the Fianna Fáil candidate, himself a former TD, is the son of a former minister and grandson of Todd Andrews, one of the founders of Fianna Fáil.

Comment

Was painful going down through the prefrences today, trying to figure out who I detested more, and then feeling fitly for putting a number beside the lower ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        If only everyone had Corky's Daughter to vote for. What credentials.

Is that real or shopped?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I see. I'm from the area and never heard of "Corky" and hadn't seen those posters. Shes already a sitting councillor and only moved to FF very recently from being Independent. She is actually quite highly thought of so don't understand the reasoning for it bar maybe because the boundaries have shifted slightly so she needs to appeal to new voters and there are a few big GAA clubs within the new lines. (Corky appears to have been a GAA player dunno if he was in politics though?)

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
              Like a particularly heavy shite, the splashback would impact us too. My gove for pm bet (made months ago) is maturing nicely though
              I still have my BJ for PM in 2019 @15/2
              This too shall pass.

Comment

I'm not a united supporter at all but loved this article about their 99 season. Captures the enthusiasm and excitement about the whole thing brilliantly.

Comment

You all sure that's free money? That's the type of story that Leo will sort out quick no?

Comment

The iconic publication will hit the streets until mid-June to give out free Beyond Sausages as part of its “Feeding the Future” campaign.

The economist have a vegan hot dog cart that is free in NYC, for the next month.
                    That's when you know a cause has made progress, when usually conservative corporate actors use it to sell products.

This week, The Economist began serving free vegan hot dogs made with Beyond Sausage in New York City as part of its “Feeding the Future” campaign that aims to educate readers about the benefits of meat alternatives. In collaboration with marketing agency Sense New York, the iconic publication created a red hot dog cart to bring its sister publication 1843’s article about the future of meat, titled “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Beef,” to life. Visitors to the cart will be granted a reduced subscription rate to The Economist and can opt for the publication to plant a tree on their behalf. Last year, The Economist dubbed 2019 “The Year of the Vegan” in its forward-thinking report “The World in 2019.” The publication’s vegan hot dog cart will be on the streets until mid-June.
                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-05-19, 14:56.

Comment

Booksmart is a great high school comedy. a real joy, will keep you smiling all the way through and throw in a few genuine laugh out loud moments. Great performances all round and beautifully directed.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Jesus. How rotten is the UK at present? Knock on wood Ireland doesn't go down this kind of rabbit hole...
                        Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                        Ireland is only coming out of that rabbit hole over the last 20-30 years
                        If only everyone had Corky's Daughter to vote for. What credentials.

Repeating myself; We are plenty fucktared on our own without the need to look elsewhere!
                        Last edited by Guest; 24-05-19, 15:31.

Comment

5 days until the start of the 2019 WSOP

Yes, we will run a Fantasy Draft

Comment

Paddy Power are amazing yet again!

Comment

Ha, that's a brilliant marketing move!!!!! How many folk will now stick €5 on impossible shots in the future

Comment

Just discovered the wonders of Lewis Capaldi's social media, it's amazing. It's so jarringly different from his music hahaha!

Comment

Charles Schwab golf on in the US.

Leader of the European tour event.

Mathais Schwab . Mad Ted

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                    Ha, that's a brilliant marketing move!!!!! How many folk will now stick €5 on impossible shots in the future
                                    Stuck a fiver on intelligent life being discovered in Kerry.

Comment

BBC

Listen to the career of a public pseudo intellectual vapourise before your ears in two minutes flat.
                                      Watch out Hitch you could be next 😎

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Bet the House, Today at 9:08 AM
                                        First time poster (long time lurker)...

As my user name suggests, I am about to make, by far, the largest bet of my life and will be buying 1,000 shares of Tesla once the funds clear in about a week or so. I will be using a good amount of borrowed money to make the purchase (which includes some margin from my broker as well).

Fortunately, I have a pretty good and steady job that would allow me to pay back any loses within 4-5 years or so if things go south (I am a CPA as well so even if I lose my job I should be able to fine another one fairly quickly in my market). The way I see it, I am borrowing from my future to buy Tesla at this level today, as opposed to buying the same number of shares over the next 4-5 years.

I would never recommend this to anyone and am still having second thoughts myself but on my death bed I will look back at this and say I am glad that I did it (whether it works out for me or not).

Good luck to all but especially Tesla!

First response

If you’re going to do this please lock some profits on the way up
                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 24-05-19, 17:44.

Comment

On a more controversial note their campaign against waste-to-energy facilities is absolutely bull-headed in its stupidity. The only alternative to most waste is landfill, so by delaying waste-to-energy they were prolonging use of landfill. Landfill is painfully damaging for the environment, while modern waste-to-energy both produces energy to heat houses and has almost no emissions.
                                          I think you are rushing to judgement on complicated issues of which you aren't an expert, but the people you are criticising are. The issues aren't as simple as you lay out, for example a good argument against waste to energy is that it doesn't address the root cause of the problem - too much consumption, too much waste. Yes landfill is bad, but our whole system of producing constant excess has many bad effects, of which landfill is merely one. The point is these are rational people making decisions on very complicated issues, not really suitable for tabloid rhertoric. Its depressing that you managed to sway PSV with one bad post.

Also, even if they are entirely wrong on any number of matters, having a party who are interested in the environment is a good thing, because none of the other parties care.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                            In Amsterdam for 3 days for work and got tapped up for a job last night. Only downside is that it's in London. Need to somehow leverage it for uplift and stay in Dublin or bite the bullet and move to the UK. Decisions.
                                            So the last three months have been interesting.

I made the decision not to move to the UK as the job offered was at the same level as Dublin albeit in a bigger office with potentially more opportunities.

Instead, I went down the route of openly telling my boss what had happened and what I wanted - more money and eventually his job, either here in Dublin or elsewhere within our network.

So far, so good...

There has been an 18.75% uplift in monthly bonus achieved (Our monthly bonuses are actually more than our wages 'cos we're a weird US company )

I've been added to the free stock options plan (obviosuly will have to pay tax on profits)

And I've been given quite a bit of face time with some very senior people within the organisation on the basis that I am somebody who has potenial to move up the ranks.

Still a lot of work to do on the job promotion side of things (it could easily take 2-3+ years) and there are no guarantees but overall, it's turned out to be a very beneficial trip to Amsterdam - I think I need to travel more for work

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                              I always have raved about Mia's school as ye know... Just got the best news ever. Mia was going to Lurgan had the deposit paid and all.

School just rang fully paid scholarship worth 1k im fucking thrilled

Also refunding me the deposit.

Nearly crashed the car when principal rang!!! Over the moon.

Now ideas for a nice pressy for the principal, please
                                              Thats great news! Let's hope you get the money back for next week

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                Thats great news! Let's hope you get the money back for next week
                                                Shush 🤫
                                                Her sky-ness
                                                © 5starpool

Comment

HIGNFY just played that Ben Gilroy hurley vid
                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                    I always have raved about Mia's school as ye know... Just got the best news ever. Mia was going to Lurgan had the deposit paid and all.

School just rang fully paid scholarship worth 1k im fucking thrilled

Also refunding me the deposit.

Nearly crashed the car when principal rang!!! Over the moon.

Now ideas for a nice pressy for the principal, please
                                                    Delighted for you . I love hearing good news. If there's anyone locally offering meditation or mindfulness sessions most principals might appreciate it. You should be able to get 5/6 sessions for €50 . It's different and may be appreciated. If she's prepared to travel to Buncrana she can have 10 sessions on the beach with me for €50 alternatively I can offer you 400g of Inishowen air dried seaweed ground into powder form which is ideal for face masks,seaweed baths and foot spas . Also effective in treating eczema psoriasis and other skin conditions. € 20 delivered to you for the seaweed or € 35 for two bags if you want to spoil yourself as well. Keep the good news coming.

Comment

Anyone else feel a little unnerved by the % of unsavourys on that Euro ballot paper?
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                        HIGNFY just played that Ben Gilroy hurley vid
                                                        As if they're struggling for material over here.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                          As if they're struggling for material over here.
                                                          It was unfortunate that it's recorded at least a day earlier. Thought they might have done a May special.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                            Anyone else feel a little unnerved by the % of unsavourys on that Euro ballot paper?
                                                            I still had fun randomly assigning preferences 5-18, until I got to the FF wankstain.
                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 24-05-19, 21:20.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 24-05-19, 21:33.

Comment

Irish Greens are just not rational.
                                                                  They are a political party. Expecting rationality from any such organisation seems wishful thinking to me.

Is your report to IEPA public? Your recent description of a graphical representation that Zuutroy posted of carbon burning, as a graph you didn't understand, would lead me to think you should shut the fuck up.

Comment

Good night for the Greens

Comment

I smell a domestic.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                        Booksmart is a great high school comedy. a real joy, will keep you smiling all the way through and throw in a few genuine laugh out loud moments. Great performances all round and beautifully directed.
                                                                        Watched it there having never heard of it. Good recommendation and I find it hard to sit through almost all films. Was a bit sketch for the first 10 mins but enjoyed it when it settled down.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                            So the last three months have been interesting.

I made the decision not to move to the UK as the job offered was at the same level as Dublin albeit in a bigger office with potentially more opportunities.

Instead, I went down the route of openly telling my boss what had happened and what I wanted - more money and eventually his job, either here in Dublin or elsewhere within our network.

So far, so good...

There has been an 18.75% uplift in monthly bonus achieved (Our monthly bonuses are actually more than our wages 'cos we're a weird US company )

I've been added to the free stock options plan (obviosuly will have to pay tax on profits)

And I've been given quite a bit of face time with some very senior people within the organisation on the basis that I am somebody who has potenial to move up the ranks.

Still a lot of work to do on the job promotion side of things (it could easily take 2-3+ years) and there are no guarantees but overall, it's turned out to be a very beneficial trip to Amsterdam - I think I need to travel more for work
                                                                            I often wish I had professional ambition and drive, but fuck me, I really have no desire to do so.

Comment

Just want to clarify in case anyone takes hitches post seriously that he did not convince me to switch from greens to Renua. But he was a factor in me not bothering my arse going to the polling station, really gotta switch my vote, it’s where I used to live and out of the way, euro elections just didn’t have the glamour. Prob should have switched and voted for the local councillor who has actually sorted a few issue in our estate but fuck him if he can’t take a joke

Comment

You seem to be confusing the science of how carbon burns with effective and practical environmental policy
                                                                                I just doubt your ability to understand any research on the subject without any grasp of the fundamentals.

In other news I'm glad I've never used the word 'meme' in conversation. Only relatively recently discovered that it's not a two syllable word.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Fair play ye guys though - about 25% of you Dubliners voted for a Green Party guy who wants to abandon BusConnects so that some trees can be saved. Good luck on the commutes.
                                                                                      Just as well an MEP has no say in that essentially.

Comment

It's pronounced like 'beam'? As in 'meam'
                                                                                        Yes. Both the hilarious internet version and the original Dawkin's version. Great book, worth reading (The Selfish Gene). Particularly good audio book as he has updated it with new information and talks about parts of the book with current understanding. hard to believe it's 43 years old.

Fair play ye guys though - about 25% of you Dubliners voted for a Green Party guy who wants to abandon BusConnects so that some trees can be saved. Good luck on the commutes.
                                                                                        If that's the worst that can be leveled at somebody they are probably the best bet. It also gets other politicans to start caring about shit that is rousing the population.

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                        I often wish I had professional ambition and drive, but fuck me, I really have no desire to do so.
                                                                                        Ah yeah. Some people are like that, some aren't. No harm. A lot of people regret it later on as well. I DGAF (about most corporate work anyway), some people live for work.
                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-05-19, 22:42.

Comment

...

Comment

If the other parties don't even bother mentioning a lot of stuff that people care more and more about, it's their own fault. http://robincafolla.com/2019-05-05/C...ihEVUuRL2UQ5rY

Comment

And it was FF that has done the most for the environment through the plastic bag tax. Despite the Greens actually having shared power for a good few years.

The plastic bag tax that FF introduced was grand and had a huge impact (that Green's etc are now following with less practical things like straws), but the key was their decision to put all money raised from the plastic bag tax (and the landfill tax - which incidentally has more-or-less closed landfills) into a special 'Green Fund' with the EPA.

That has had a massive impact on knowledge of green issues in Ireland. E.g. it has led to the development of policies like the home insulation grants, educated many key policy makers etc.

As a country Ireland has made strong progress from almost zero environmentalism to okay environmentalism. None of it is traceable to the Greens.

Still a long way to go, but the route to the future is reasonably well set out. Richard Bruton's plans are excellent. Green's plans are just pure pie-in-the-sky idealism. E.g. passing an ordannance in Dun Laoighaire to make all new houses passiv housing - and thus adding maybe €100k to the cost of building a house there. I've forgotten the precise details of the Dun Laoighaire thing, but it's not a million miles from that. Most of the policies on their website are pure nonsense.

.
                                                                                              The greens would turn your argument around. All those tiny improvements mean almost nothing. Living the way we do now is pie-in-the-skie idealism. The fact you highlight the plastic bag tax as a huge win means we're on very different pages as to exactly the situation the world is in right now.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Having a line 'Declare a climate emergency', shows the shambolic nature of that chart given the meaningless nature of that. EPP even come out bad on carbon trading despite being fundamental in actually introducing carbon trading! (unlike the Greens who had no role). Would I be right in thinking that Robin who created that chart isn't fully neutral on the matter?!

I'm not against European Greens by the way. Love pro-climate policies. Just Irish Greens who are demonstrably anti-Green in their actual policies.
                                                                                                      "climate emergency" probably shows intention more than anything, which is also important. The current administration were laughed and jeered at on TV during the reading of the budget over their great plans for the climate. The aul give money to farmers, do nothing, let's take the EU fines instead of doing anything that was. I guess people will take people with good intentions doing the wrong thing over people without good intentions in the first place. This is the issue that people are voting over right now, people in my work were out campaigning for the greens, never heard them talk about politics ever before this. Yeah, he mentioned his affiliation in italics near the start haha, and a link to contact him for corrections. Just a normal dude who gives a shit, know him. That's always something I laugh about. Imagine researching something and you thought it was best, so they start following through on your intentions - in this case join a party because they align best with what you think, suddenly they lack credibility because of that action! Double-edged sword, as obviously it can be true too.

https://twitter.com/jackpowerIT/stat...32622329323520 I do think even if the greens are stupid it was a good thing to vote for them to put the fire up more clued in politicans.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-05-19, 23:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                        Saw this earlier, but it doesn't look real

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-traffi...ie-summit.html
                                                                                                        Seems crazy to have 300 there in a day. When about 600-800 complete it annually.
                                                                                                        Bad weather creating a back long during peak season?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Nope, was just that the chart itself is so bad. How EPP can be behind on carbon trading given they helped create it is bizarre. Surely they get some kudos for that. Carbon trading is amazing and has revolutionised green policy in Europe - EPP alone among the parties helped create it. I don't get why that means EPP are shown up as bad on that chart for carbon trading compared to Greens who've actually done nothing.
                                                                                                              What are you referring to as behind? Or bad, there is no mention of that in the chart and there is this in the analysis below? There is no mention of what is better or worse in the chart at all, just the position of parties?

Emissions trading
                                                                                                              While silent on almost everything else the EPP spring into life for trading. One of the few mentions of climate change in either of their 2 manifesto documents is that renewable energy should be achieved through emission trading.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-05-19, 23:53.

Comment

...

Comment

I see you've changed tack from the previous claim I knew nothing about the issue. Just skipped right over it really!

If plastic bags are minor, then I guess recent Green focus on plastic straws is what?
                                                                                                                  I acknowledge you claim to have written a major report on the subject isn't available online and you don't have a copy of it.

The focus on straws is part of a big movement to ban ALL single use plastic. Straws are a very visible form of a culture that needs to change.

Comment

Compared to the Green Party dream description on the chart it's clearly inferior looking for EPP. Yet only one of those two parties has actually done anything.
                                                                                                                    Lol, this is enough internet for today. The lad doesn't even agree with the greens in his analysis.
                                                                                                                    I didn't even vote #1 for them why am i talking about this
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 25-05-19, 00:06.

Comment

Really find it hard to care about "climate emergency". It's like peak oil, every few years we're told we've only x time left. Tough too to take the people around the movement seriously. Usually wasters who've just switched from having legalising weed as their prime cause in life. So much virtue signalling too, if they really cared about the carbon footprint they'd be out marching for nuclear, not worrying about plastic straws. Don't think I've ever seen a sign for more nuclear power on any of those marches.

The people involved tend to be impractical and support policies that are counterproductive, the Paris Accord would have raised global emissions by capping production in the most efficient country in the world and encouraging industry in one of the world countries for output. Solar panels have been a disaster in Germany. Perhaps its something that I should care about, but it seems so far down the list of things I have a practical impact on. Zealots just make me lose interest. Sod off swampy.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 25-05-19, 00:16.

Comment

...

Comment

There is actually a very achievable and realistic thing that could be done to help the environment. End planned obsolescence in consumer goods. It is possible to build fridges, bulbs, washing machines,cars etc that last decades, its been done in the past and could be again.
                                                                                                                          Would not suit idiot shareholders and rent seekers who can’t see past the next financial quarter though.
                                                                                                                          Even simple things like government just sending the army in to Gillette and Bic factories ,shitting them and their shit razor producing facilities down and forcing everyone to only use double edged or cutthroat razors would make a real difference
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 25-05-19, 00:48.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X