Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
    What was this criteria? I think a lot of the opinions on this don't have all the facts.
    There certainly is a level of ambiguity around the original decision as the official results were not released.

Their conclusion however was that she is female. I know there was leaked results which suggested she may be intersex but given they aren't the official results it's quite hard to view them as more credible than the IAAF's original decison.

Given the results weren't released, I don't know the exact criteria that led to their decision so I suppose some facts are being missed but I suspect the decision to determine she was female wasn't taken lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
      There certainly is a level of ambiguity around the original decision as the official results were not released.

Their conclusion however was that she is female. I know there was leaked results which suggested she may be intersex but given they aren't the official results it's quite hard to view them as more credible than the IAAF's original decison.

Given the results weren't released, I don't know the exact criteria that led to their decision so I suppose some facts are being missed but I suspect the decision to determine she was female wasn't taken lightly.
      she was proven female last time round. this is not about testing and results. This is just down to sheer pressure from the various national federations saying it's not a level playing field, and deciding to implement a new law for testosterone levels, which means she basically can't compete as she is. this is politics, not sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Does anyone actually know any trans people IRL?

The Ls and Gs are obviously well represented but do we have any idea what % of the population the Ts are? Feels like the media coverage is way out of proportion to actual numbers but that's a completely uninformed opinion.
        I know two, which is a lot. The 0.3% figure is the % of patients who express feelings of gender dysphoria to a psychiatrist. An even smaller % of those people will actually transition, although that figure is rising rapidly.

One is an American transwoman in her 40's who has had her genitals removed, top surgery etc. She's fully bought into the ideology and thinks the doctors misgendered her when she was born because they had no framework for properly identifying a female penis...... I'm not sure how to challenge this narrative without starting World War 3, but it seems to be getting worse rather than better.

The other is Irish in her 20's and had always had gender dysphoria. She has started going by female pronouns, wearing female clothes and using women's bathrooms since about 2 years ago. She says it has helped her mental state immensely and the suicidal ideation that was a daily occurrence has lifted significantly. So we're all happy to go along if it prevents her from killing herself.
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
          she was proven female last time round. this is not about testing and results. This is just down to sheer pressure from the various national federations saying it's not a level playing field, and deciding to implement a new law for testosterone levels, which means she basically can't compete as she is. this is politics, not sport.
          I totally agree, the goalposts have been moved to satisfy one or more political agendas.

The results are largely irrelevant, not releasing the previous results is the correct call imo as it's a private matter.

Clearly there's enough humiliation in being subjected to the tests
          SPOILER
          without the precise results being published.

She's a woman, stringent tests have proven as much and she's the scapegoat for a poltical decision.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I have zero issues with biological males (for want of a better descriptor) dressing up and referring to themselves in the female. In my view, they are harming nobody and if it makes them happy, then have at it.

However, I don't think these people should then be allowed to compete against women in competitive sporting events nor select to be housed in a female prison etc.

If they want to undergo gender reassignment surgery and a hormone regiment, then go for it, that's genuine commitment and would feel (rightly or wrongly) that they are more legit of a trans person than someone just dressing up etc. I suppose the issue will then come down about those who can't afford the surgery and should the public coffers pay for it etc... another kettle of fish altogether!

In other news, my 8 month old daughter is fascinated by good looking, muscular men and by women with tattoo's, I don't know if I should be worried by either of these things...
              Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Any recommendations for food in Dublin around Grafton or Baggot St?

Good Steaks, wings, burgers type of place, group of 3 lads going. Willing to book somewhere but don't want a place where you show up and will have to wait 1 to 2hours to get a table as it's a feed before pints.

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                    Any recommendations for food in Dublin around Grafton or Baggot St?

Good Steaks, wings, burgers type of place, group of 3 lads going. Willing to book somewhere but don't want a place where you show up and will have to wait 1 to 2hours to get a table as it's a feed before pints.
                    Can really go wrong with Bunsen or wow burger for burgers
                    FXB/Brookwood for more upscale steak
                    Mad egg for chickeny things but if you are after wings, elephant and castle is king
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

+1 for Elephant and castle. Fantastic beer selection and great pre booze food.
                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

In fact, another IPB beers night in there would be sweet.

Comment

Now that Ruby Walsh is retired I guess we are never going to get that hard hitting article on how is it appropriate for a leading active jockey in the most bent “sport” going to be doing ads for a gambling company. Oh well

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                            Now that Ruby Walsh is retired I guess we are never going to get that hard hitting article on how is it appropriate for a leading active jockey in the most bent “sport” going to be doing ads for a gambling company. Oh well
                            He would have fallen at the last given you his answer

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                              Can really go wrong with Bunsen or wow burger for burgers
                              FXB/Brookwood for more upscale steak
                              Mad egg for chickeny things but if you are after wings, elephant and castle is king
                              I suggested Bunsen, FXBs and Canal Bank Café. Canal Bank won out, it has class wings as well actually. It's near work so have been there many times and never dissapoints. Huge portions as well, you would need to be on your a game to finish them as a main without having any starters!!

Comment

I totally agree, the goalposts have been moved to satisfy one or more political agendas.

She's a woman, stringent tests have proven as much and she's the scapegoat for a poltical decision.
                                What politics?
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                  In fact, another IPB beers night in there would be sweet.
                                  Happening this Sunday. PM Andy for details.

Comment

What politics?
                                    Perhaps politics is the wrong word but it alludes to issues around equality and political correctness.

Those who associate as a given gender should be afforded every opportunity that gender is afforded.

Comment

Bang

Comment

Soccer commentator just said Messi is the master of his domain.

Eh eh rounders

Comment

Thought that free kick took a deflection of Gomez
                                          Liverpool have actually been a bit unlucky tonight, tie over, a bit grim not to get silverware after such a season

Comment

Perhaps politics is the wrong word but it alludes to issues around equality and political correctness.

Those who associate as a given gender should be afforded every opportunity that gender is afforded.
                                            That smells of bollix, given that equality of the sexes is now the (social and legal) norm in any civilised state.

Comment

Liverpool have actually been a bit unlucky tonight, tie over, a bit grim not to get silverware after such a season
                                              They're the Clermont of soccer.

Comment

€400,000,000 buyout clause for that Dembele lad who couldn't stick it in from 11 yards. Worlds gone mad.

Comment

That smells of bollix, given that equality of the sexes is now the (social and legal) norm in any civilised state.
                                                  Yes that's true but that's not pertinent here, it's within gender I'm referring to not between genders.
                                                  Irrespective of the sex one was born to(say male), they should be afforded every opportunity that the gender they associate with (say female) should afforded.

In order to prevent advantageous athletic situations arising such as biologically born males transitioning to females, the IAAP has decided that to avoid discrimination issues which will inevitably arise the more risk averse action is to place a "testosterone ceiling" which will essentially be all encompassing irrespective of your biological sex.

You're a female athlete if you're under X no matter what sex you born as, that's the precedent here.
                                                  Caster Semenya is female but she's above X threshold ergo she's not allowed compete.
                                                  Athlete was born male but is now below X threshold ergo athlete is allowed compete against females.
                                                  Last edited by Guest; 02-05-19, 06:57. Reason: Punctuation

Comment

Nah not at all

Comment

Athlete was born male but is now below X threshold ergo athlete is allowed compete against females.
                                                      Are you sure that will now be the case? Surely if you've had the advantage of years of testosterone, whatever the source, can't just make like that doesn't matter.
                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Messi is the greatest.

Really looking forward to Barca without him.

Comment

Do you think it acceptable for a transgender female to fight a cisgender female in an MMA or boxing match? I think that's lunacy in the name of equality tbh.

For clarity. Transgender Has not gone under any reassignment surgery. Not hormone therapy. They just identify as female.
                                                          Cisgender = biological female (that's the correct word to distinguish btw).

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                            Do you think it acceptable for a transgender female to fight a cisgender female in an MMA or boxing match? I think that's lunacy in the name of equality tbh.

For clarity. Transgender Has not gone under any reassignment surgery. Not hormone therapy. They just identify as female.
                                                            If the two fighters are the same weight would it not be equal?

Comment

GOT

SPOILER
                                                              this post on reddit sums it up pretty hilariously

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/co...ter_episode_3/
                                                              Last edited by CHDad; 01-05-19, 23:40.

Comment

If that was the case, why would they segregate men and women at all?

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                                                  To save Tyson et al. from being battered by fat women obv.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                                                    GOT

SPOILER
                                                                    this post on reddit sums it up pretty hilariously

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/co...er_episode_3//
                                                                    Link corrected because it really is very funny:

SPOILER

Comment

Not even close to equal.
                                                                      Biologically, Men have a physical advantage whether they are bigger or not.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                        Are you sure that will now be the case? Surely if you've had the advantage of years of testosterone, whatever the source, can't just make like that doesn't matter.
                                                                        No not sure itll be the case but I can imagine it's the question that will eventually arise.

I'd agree, I find it hard to square that the athletic advantages of males can be simply mitigated by reducing testosterone levels arbitrarily say after puberty.

No as I said above, I think the advantage is too great, it doesn't have to be fighting it's a variety of sports imo.

Apologies for the language, I wasn't using the terms correctly generally I would be mindful if chatting with my sister's mate tbf.

Comment

Highschool kid breaks 10second barrier in 100m sprint

-----------👀👀👀👀See it for yourself👀👀👀👀👀--------NEW WORLD RECORD at 9.98 seconds to #1 runner in the US 100M Strake Jesuit - Matthew BolingTwitter: ...

SPOILER
                                                                          I bet nobody expected the white kid!!!
                                                                          That makes it all the more impressive. He's only the second white person to break 100m
                                                                          I’ve broken 100m a few times, just not at those speeds.

Not even close to equal.
                                                                          Sexist pig!

Comment

Camille Paglia talks some sense on it (trans stuff) , it’s a fashion and it’s being pushed and fostered in people far too young to consider the consequences so their parents can bump up their progressive XP points
                                                                            You can see a lot of holier than thou progressives themselves who think this stuff is getting ridiculous now and then getting shredded for it eg Graham linehan. Easy enough to avoid anyway especially if you are not on Twitter

Last edited by Guest; 02-05-19, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                              Link corrected because it really is very funny:

SPOILER
                                                                              That meme and downfall memes never get old , surprised nobody’s ever done a Downfall IPB one about any of the various dramas over the years

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                BBV has finally gone down the LGBTQHEFJINSKDI£EFA, Trans, Cis, Etc Rabbit Hole. There is no answer to be found.
                                                                                Talk to us about your identity

'Identity' is definitely one of those words that has got abused to within an inch of its life in the last decade.

Comment

Does anyone actually know any trans people IRL?

The Ls and Gs are obviously well represented but do we have any idea what % of the population the Ts are? Feels like the media coverage is way out of proportion to actual numbers but that's a completely uninformed opinion.
                                                                                  Was at a funeral a few months back now, my uncles father in-law had passed, I’d have been quite close to the uncle when I was younger so said I better show a face. Anyway, I rocked up fairly late as the Padre was about to kick off proceedings to what could only be described as a disappointing turnout. I parked myself mid div, slotting in on the edge of a pew next to my sister (hyper-intelligent but very oblivious type). As I’m surveying the turn out I notice my cousin, the only child in that family who was 10 years younger than myself, was notable by her absence. She was always a bit odd as a teenager, goth type and a bit of a loner. Had dropped off the radar in later years, I heard she was in Dublin somewhere but didn’t come home to Sligo much. Says I to the sister, “jays there’s no sign of Mary, bad aul form not to show up to this gig”.Anyway, there were the usual crew of cousins, aunts and uncles on their side I didn’t know well, many made the trip back from Liverpool sitting up the top of the church. One of the lads was very familiar, I assumed I had meet him as kids growing up (you can see where this is going). So the ceremony finishes up and were standing solemnly outside freezing our collective bollocks off, when this young chap and his GF approach my sister and thank her, by name, for coming. The penny immediately drops with me and everything goes into slow motion as the artist formerly known as Mary makes her way through the crowd in my direction, my poor head about to explode trying to process wtf was going on, and how I had somehow missed the family memo on this particularly notable change of circumstance. It’s an understatement to say I was ill-prepared and ill-equipped for dealing with the looming reunion with my long-lost cousin. Luckily, she was intercepted by some other family member and our paths diverged. I made my way over to my sister who, it quickly became clear had not yet joined the dots. I made my excuses for not going to the pub afterwards and headed off, leaving my dozy sister to carry on, still totally oblivious, on her own. It only took a few hours before the texts came rolling in calling me every name under the sun for not tipping her off, detailing how she made a complete tit of herself until some aunt pulled her aside and put her wise.

Anyway TLDR, my cousin was a girl and now’s a boy, complete with convincing enough facial hair, girlfriend and new name. Took all the juice it seems and seems to have done the trick. It’s a brave new world out there kids.

Comment

Jesus, that sounds like it would really be a bit of a mind-melter! How would you even start a conversation - "changed your hair I see... looks good! etc..."

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                      Sexist pig!
                                                                                      It is what is is.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                        Jesus, that sounds like it would really be a bit of a mind-melter! How would you even start a conversation - "changed your hair I see... looks good! etc..."
                                                                                        Absolutely, luckily I exited stage left just in the nick of time to avoid the inevitable car crash that conversation would have been!

Comment

Camille Paglia talks some sense on it (trans stuff) , it’s a fashion and it’s being pushed and fostered in people far too young to consider the consequences so their parents can bump up their progressive XP points
                                                                                          You can see a lot of holier than thou progressives themselves who think this stuff is getting ridiculous now and then getting shredded for it eg Graham linehan. Easy enough to avoid anyway especially if you are not on Twitter
                                                                                          I always think it's a sign of how easy or good things have become that bathrooms and pronouns are a such a source of strife. I doubt it was something that many considered during WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                            I always think it's a sign of how easy or good things have become that bathrooms and pronouns are a such a source of strife. I doubt it was something that many considered during WWII.
                                                                                            Ah sure remember the first time you had an orange after The Emergency.
                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                                                                              In combat/fighting sports, ethics and ego maybe?

Not even close to equal.
                                                                                              I know males have a naturally larger aerobic capacity pound for pound which translates to stronger endurance, but is that it?

If you weighted for it, say by taking the endurance element out of the sport would intersex fighting not be equal if both fighters are equally trained and of equal weight?

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                Ah sure remember the first time you had an orange after The Emergency.
                                                                                                My mother likes to trot that one out, although she was born in June 1945 which tends to reduce the narrative power somewhat.

Comment

Talk to us about your identity
                                                                                                  Surely you spotted it in his list of lettered identities.

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                  LGBTQHEFJINSKDI£EFA
                                                                                                  I like the cut of NoRiverRequired's jib. That was a splendid trip report.

Comment

The weirdest gender thing I came across was a couple I know vaguely who had a baby and after the birth there was some sort of stewards enquiry where it took them nearly a fortnight to figure out what sex the baby was. The Docs were saying that it wasn't really clear to them and if I think there were chromosome tests and maybe some small bit of surgery involved and eventually it was more or less stated that a decision was made as to which sex the child is.
                                                                                                    That was a long time ago, there are a number of kids in the family and they are all grown up now and for the life of me I can't remember which of the children it was or even if it emerged as a girl or a boy, and there wouldn't be any uncertainty now as to their gender.
                                                                                                    Very odd, I never heard of anything like it before or since but I do remember they were told by the medics that it wasn't all that rare.
                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

In combat/fighting sports, ethics and ego maybe?

I know males have a naturally larger aerobic capacity pound for pound which translates to stronger endurance, but is that it?

If you weighted for it, say by taking the endurance element out of the sport would intersex fighting not be equal if both fighters are equally trained and of equal weight?
                                                                                                      There's way more: Bone shape. Bone density. Muscle density and fibrousness (fibrosity?). Some of it is there pre-puberty but the differences skyrocket during puberty. One of the sources of confusion is that the differences are only significant on average, but massive at the tail ends of the distribution. So an elite female athlete could kick my ass at pretty much anything, but would get absolutely annihilated by an elite male.
                                                                                                      Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 02-05-19, 10:27.
                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                        Guilty.
                                                                                                        That was a surprising verdict in the Tipp Murder case.
                                                                                                        I mean he may well have done it but the summaries I read and heard of the evidence presented to the court seemed to me to fall a long way short of a safe conviction.
                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

This is all very Lou Reed:

Official Audio for ”Walk on the Wild Side” by Lou ReedListen to Lou Reed: https://loureed.lnk.to/listenYDWatch more videos by Lou Reed: https://loureed.lnk.t...

Comment

There's one of those surveys here for the EU elections where you answer questions and it tells you what party your views align with best if anyone is interested:

Check out my alignment with the political parties running in the upcoming 2019 European Parliament elections

I have basically zero political allegiance but find it interesting that whenever I do one of these surveys the Green Party come out on top by a mile. The vast majority of the questions are not related to the environment either.

Comment

No as I said above, I think the advantage is too great, it doesn't have to be fighting it's a variety of sports imo.

Apologies for the language, I wasn't using the terms correctly generally I would be mindful if chatting with my sister's mate tbf.
                                                                                                              I thought your point about being afforded every opportunity of the gender they identified with was in relation to sports. Apologies if I got that wrong.
                                                                                                              My point was that identity isn't nearly enough in sport.

The language thing was aimed as somebody who asked the question above, but your post.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                              The weirdest gender thing I came across was a couple I know vaguely who had a baby and after the birth there was some sort of stewards enquiry where it took them nearly a fortnight to figure out what sex the baby was. The Docs were saying that it wasn't really clear to them and if I think there were chromosome tests and maybe some small bit of surgery involved and eventually it was more or less stated that a decision was made as to which sex the child is.
                                                                                                              That was a long time ago, there are a number of kids in the family and they are all grown up now and for the life of me I can't remember which of the children it was or even if it emerged as a girl or a boy, and there wouldn't be any uncertainty now as to their gender.
                                                                                                              Very odd, I never heard of anything like it before or since but I do remember they were told by the medics that it wasn't all that rare.
                                                                                                              Intersex
                                                                                                              Basically a baby with XXY chromosomes and traces of both sets of genitals. Parents have to decide which way to go with corrective surgery.
                                                                                                              My aunt has delivered a babies like before and said doctors usually advised the parents to go female as it's easier, in some regard. Neither way would be fully functional I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                I would go with “sorry for your loss” since it’s a funeral and make sure my eyes don’t drift down to where her tits used to be and his pecks are now in place.

Comment

Hoping for an opportunity to post The Graph™

Comment

Aerobic capacity is a minor factor.
                                                                                                                    Strength is way way more critical. There are other factors, like bone structure and density. But strength is huge difference.

Pound for pound, men at so much stronger than women. Not even remotely close.
                                                                                                                    Look at world records in sprinting, jumping, weightlifting where aerobic capacity is not a factor, and performance is power based.
                                                                                                                    At the last Olympics the men's 69kg gold medal clean was 190kg
                                                                                                                    The women's was 145kg.

They were Chinese elites strength athletes juiced to their eyeballs. Among regular people its a wider gap.

Comment

I thought your point about being afforded every opportunity of the gender they identified with was in relation to sports. Apologies if I got that wrong.
                                                                                                                      My point was that identity isn't nearly enough in sport.

The language thing was aimed as somebody who asked the question above, but your post.
                                                                                                                      No not my position, more an observation of what I would have called the "politics" involved, identity politics etc.

The goal for the trans community is equal opportunity across all domains, sport being one, that's something i dont have much issue with in essentially all cases but I think sport is different as the advantage is so evident as you said.

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                      There's one of those surveys here for the EU elections where you answer questions and it tells you what party your views align with best if anyone is interested:

Check out my alignment with the political parties running in the upcoming 2019 European Parliament elections

I have basically zero political allegiance but find it interesting that whenever I do one of these surveys the Green Party come out on top by a mile. The vast majority of the questions are not related to the environment either.
                                                                                                                      Basically the same, no allegiance at all, Green Party and Labour equal with weights and Green Party slight edge with no weights.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                        Been feeling this weird sense of depression since finding out I don't have to have a heart operation. It's like I'd been running on adrenaline for a few months in anticipation and then it all flowed away. Is that 'normal'? It's kinda freaking me out. Am drinking - but think that's a reaction rather than a cause. As was really depressed on holidays when wasn't drinking, and drink very little in any case. Wondering if I should talk to the doc about anti-depressants or something. Just so weird as was thinking I'd be elated after the heart news and then this thing just descended on me.
                                                                                                                        Get some help Michael. Go and have a chat with a doctor or a good life coach and just talk through some of the stuff that you’re only prepared to talk about here. Do it now before things spiral out of control and use it as a spring board to bounce back to your most ebullient self. GL.
                                                                                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Is there anything more cringe inducing than people wishing you a happy work anniversary on LinkedIn?

Eh, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X