Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    A lot of people go for "healing" for these retreats, and Aya is probably just a shortcut, they'd probably have most of the benefit if they had been on a meditative retreat, and all without the strain of a psychotic experience.
    A thing about this is that I think many of these people are ideal seekers. They tend to idolise people, things, and experiences, and are searching for an ideal experience to crack open their [insert aspects of themselves they wish to have cracked open and be free from].

So the more phenomenologically powerful experience the better for them in their minds. Add to this the tendency people have to conflate "powerful" as a description of an experience and "powerful" as having a significant long term effect and it can doubtless lead some to continuously chase experiences which they believe will free them, but then go about the rest of their lives with the same habit patterns which create their self and experiences of the world to begin with.

I do believe there is a route towards that freedom which consists of something breaking in a flash, but it appears to be extremely rare. The idea is very seductive though, especially for ideal seekers given to fantasy lives.

I think I would advise such a person to drop every ounce of bullshit they have, all their thoughts about themselves and the world, idealisations, narcissism, fantasies etc. and get into the body and start from the grounded reality in there. That's the beginning of a path which will work in the long run, rather than trying to catch moonbeams.

A lot of the people in the Western Buddhist tradition I practise in were psychonauts in the 60's/70's, but didn't think it gave them much. The founder called psychedelics "spiritual baby food".

I would also suggest there's no progress without living an ethical life. The mind will be too conflicted and agitated.

Comment

I think this thread is a great example of poker as the great equalizer. There are things in here which I have absolutely no knowledge of or, in some cases, ever heard of but you get detailed reviews and interesting “other” things, in a type of melting pot of life experiences which are pretty varied. The 5 jobs thing on Twitter I’d say would have a sparse enough Venn diagram, once poker dealer was removed!

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
        Thank you all who posted advice, I really appreciate it. Back an age ago when I started to post on bb thread we used to say BB thread delivers and it certainly did.

That article you linked Collicam was fantastic, I think I am the exact type of person would almost certainly freak out and maybe lose my marbles forever. Huge thanks to LimpWhacker /pm sent if you see it. This is a path I am going to go down. Really appreciate any advice and responses all which had a kind tone of helpful. Much love.
        No worries mate. Got the pm and shot you one back.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          When lost a similar amount of money in Dublin had to ask my dad to bail me out. He was all: and are strippers a problem for you Michael? Was somewhat awkward. Grand here though as seem to have way more disposable income
          How you haven't ended up in a ditch is beyond me
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
            A thing about this is that I think many of these people are ideal seekers. They tend to idolise people, things, and experiences, and are searching for an ideal experience to crack open their [insert aspects of themselves they wish to have cracked open and be free from].

So the more phenomenologically powerful experience the better for them in their minds. Add to this the tendency people have to conflate "powerful" as a description of an experience and "powerful" as having a significant long term effect and it can doubtless lead some to continuously chase experiences which they believe will free them, but then go about the rest of their lives with the same habit patterns which create their self and experiences of the world to begin with.

I do believe there is a route towards that freedom which consists of something breaking in a flash, but it appears to be extremely rare. The idea is very seductive though, especially for ideal seekers given to fantasy lives.

I think I would advise such a person to drop every ounce of bullshit they have, all their thoughts about themselves and the world, idealisations, narcissism, fantasies etc. and get into the body and start from the grounded reality in there. That's the beginning of a path which will work in the long run, rather than trying to catch moonbeams.

A lot of the people in the Western Buddhist tradition I practise in were psychonauts in the 60's/70's, but didn't think it gave them much. The founder called psychedelics "spiritual baby food".

I would also suggest there's no progress without living an ethical life. The mind will be too conflicted and agitated.
            i just did it to get fucked up man! what a ride!

Comment

a hemp wearing juggler
              Can we all take a moment to appreciate this please.
              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                Thank you all who posted advice, I really appreciate it. Back an age ago when I started to post on bb thread we used to say BB thread delivers and it certainly did.

That article you linked Collicam was fantastic, I think I am the exact type of person would almost certainly freak out and maybe lose my marbles forever. Huge thanks to LimpWhacker /pm sent if you see it. This is a path I am going to go down. Really appreciate any advice and responses all which had a kind tone of helpful. Much love.
                Relevant

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  Nothing on Robert Caro. He started his biography of LBJ over 40 years ago and is still researching Volume 5. And he hasn't even got to Vietnam and The Great Society yet.
                  He did a good podcast with Conan O'Brien this week if like his stuff. Never heard of him til Monday

Comment

Some fantastic posting in here the last 24 hours. Well played.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                      I thought they were all raving about The Shadow Line (haven’t seen any of them)
                      Loved The Shadow Line

Comment

I've only ever seen one trip go completely sideways. Many years ago, acid with a group of about 10 people. Everyone having an incredible time but one guy ended up thinking he was a donkey for the whole night. Wandered the house on all fours, hee-haw'ing out of him randomly. You are obviously too involved in your own trip to see what he got up to all night but things were already mad enough tripping your balls off and then at times you would come across this guy on all fours making these noises at you and wondered if you were the one that has lost the grip on reality.I didn't know him and he headed off very early the next morning without speaking to anyone. Never got the story of what the experience was actually like for him so maybe it was enjoyable.

Opr

Comment

Liking this notion of machine elves.

Denny: have you ever encountered such beings on your pharmaceutical expeditions?
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In my experience, that is usually someone wrapped up in the idea of an outlandish experience and self fulfills. A form of self hypnosis if you will, aided by the perception changes and largely in the mindset of doing it to 'freak out' other people
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                              I've only ever seen one trip go completely sideways. Many years ago, acid with a group of about 10 people. Everyone having an incredible time but one guy ended up thinking he was a donkey for the whole night. Wandered the house on all fours, hee-haw'ing out of him randomly. You are obviously too involved in your own trip to see what he got up to all night but things were already mad enough tripping your balls off and then at times you would come across this guy on all fours making these noises at you and wondered if you were the one that has lost the grip on reality.I didn't know him and he headed off very early the next morning without speaking to anyone. Never got the story of what the experience was actually like for him so maybe it was enjoyable.

Opr
                              Probably embarrassed after making an ass of himself.

Comment

Probably embarrassed after making an ass of himself.
                                lol, bravo sir.
                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I had a horrendous, scary bad trip over 20 years ago. Ended up in hospital, although there was nothing they could do apart from let it wear off. About 6 months later, i had a full flashback that lasted 8 hours, and it repeated the whole thing over again exactly as it was.

I still get flashbacks and panic attacks now, but they've gotten shorter and less frequent as i learned to control it, but it still feels like i could fall back into it. I can understand how people end up in the looney bin after it!

Comment

Liking this notion of machine elves.

Denny: have you ever encountered such beings on your pharmaceutical expeditions?
                                    Ha, yeah they sound great alright, but no nothing like that for me unfortunately. I don't think I've enough of an active imagination for things like that.

Comment

Somewhat topical

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                          I went to see War Horse in BGT on Saturday. Presume many will have already seen it but if not it's well worth getting along to.

I also went to see Trad on The Peacock Stage of The Abbey last night. It's a good show that's nearly there imo. Seamus O'Rourke and Clare Barrett were excellent but I can't understand the casting of Emmet Kirwan in his role - seemed totally out of place and it grated with me for the entire show. That said you'll spend €20 in worse ways than to get along for a look.
                                          Probably because he's a tosser.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                            Probably because he's a tosser.
                                            Ah, he's not

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                              I had a horrendous, scary bad trip over 20 years ago. Ended up in hospital, although there was nothing they could do apart from let it wear off. About 6 months later, i had a full flashback that lasted 8 hours, and it repeated the whole thing over again exactly as it was.

I still get flashbacks and panic attacks now, but they've gotten shorter and less frequent as i learned to control it, but it still feels like i could fall back into it. I can understand how people end up in the looney bin after it!
                                              i used to take a lot of psychedelics back in the day, especially LSD, and i saw a number of my friends do bad trips. Some took a few days to get over them, some took years, just like FDs experience, one of them even thought he could fly and jumped off a 4 storey building. He survived but with a very broken body.

All this to say, everyone reacts very differently to them and they're not to be taken lightly, but for those who know how to let go and just enjoy the moment, they really are amazing when things go right, and are capable of transforming the mundane into incredibly wonderful or surreal situations, and there is no doubt in my mind that they are a powerful tool which should be, and i believe is used in therapy, for certain people.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                i used to take a lot of psychedelics back in the day, especially LSD, and i saw a number of my friends do bad trips. Some took a few days to get over them, some took years, just like FDs experience, one of them even thought he could fly and jumped off a 4 storey building. He survived but with a very broken body.

All this to say, everyone reacts very differently to them and they're not to be taken lightly, but for those who know how to let go and just enjoy the moment, they really are amazing when things go right, and are capable of transforming the mundane into incredibly wonderful or surreal situations, and there is no doubt in my mind that they are a powerful tool which should be, and i believe is used in therapy, for certain people.
                                                If you think you can fly, take off from the ground.
                                                IIRC, that's why shrooms got banned a few years back.

Comment

I flew . Fk the doubters .

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                    Thanks to Vues shitty website, would anyone like tickets to Avengers @ 11.10pm Wednesday 1st May?

1st come 1st served
                                                    still available.
                                                    Anyone who wants them can have them

Comment

Highschool kid breaks 10second barrier in 100m sprint

Comment

Massive tailwind apparently. Time wouldn't count in offical records. I'm sure lots of white folk would have run sub 10 in that wind.
                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                              Massive tailwind apparently. Time wouldn't count in offical records. I'm sure lots of white folk would have run sub 10 in that wind.
                                                              I'd break the 100m for MJ. Tailwind or not.

Comment

On the topic of athletics, Caster Semenya lost her legal case today regarding her elevated testosterone levels being too great in order to compete against women as it gave her too much of a competitive advantage.

The decision seems unfair to me in light of previous decisions which found she to met the criteria of a female athlete a number of years ago.

They even acknowledged that the result was discriminatory:

“The panel found that the DSD Regulations are discriminatory but that, on the basis of the evidence submitted by the parties, such discrimination is a necessary, reasonable and proportionate means of achieving the IAAF’s aim of preserving the integrity of female athletics in the Restricted Events.”

I understand that her advantage was an anomaly given:

"99% of females have around 0.12-1.79 nmol/L of testosterone in their bodies – while DSDs like Semenya are in the male range of 7.7-29.4 nmol/L".

Even so, I think it was the wrong decision to restrict her from competing, she was born with a naturally occurring physical advantage which she should be allowed utilise.
                                                                The idea she should be forced to take testosterone restricting medication in order to compete is wrong imo.

The South African 800m Olympic champion Caster Semenya is considering an appeal after losing her landmark legal case against athletics’ governing body, the IAAF, in a decision that could end her career as an elite athlete

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                  On the topic of athletics, Caster Semenya lost her legal case today regarding her elevated testosterone levels being too great in order to compete against women as it gave her too much of a competitive advantage.

The decision seems unfair to me in light of previous decisions which found she to met the criteria of a female athlete a number of years ago.

“The panel found that the DSD Regulations are discriminatory but that, on the basis of the evidence submitted by the parties, such discrimination is a necessary, reasonable and proportionate means of achieving the IAAF’s aim of preserving the integrity of female athletics in the Restricted Events.”

"99% of females have around 0.12-1.79 nmol/L of testosterone in their bodies – while DSDs like Semenya are in the male range of 7.7-29.4 nmol/L".

Even so, I think it was the wrong decision to restrict her from competing, she was born with a naturally occurring physical advantage which she should be allowed utilise.
                                                                  The idea she should be forced to take testosterone restricting medication in order to compete is wrong imo.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...iaaf-athletics
                                                                  I would assume the decision was less about her and more about the potential of trans athletes dominating events?

Comment

I would assume the decision was less about her and more about the potential of trans athletes dominating events?
                                                                    There be dragons
                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Does anyone actually know any trans people IRL?

The Ls and Gs are obviously well represented but do we have any idea what % of the population the Ts are? Feels like the media coverage is way out of proportion to actual numbers but that's a completely uninformed opinion.
                                                                      Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 01-05-19, 11:47.

Comment

According to wiki, it's 0.3% of the EU population.

So in this country, that would be about 14,000 people. Or the population of Killarney. Which would make perfect sense when you factor in the accents.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                            There be dragons
                                                                            oh I know, I got caught in a conversation about it recently was was pretty flummoxed as my
                                                                            liberal leanings went down the "you are who you identify route" while my brain screamed at me for ignoring the very real physical differences.

I will say this though, I sincerely doubt there is enough volume of young athletes undergoing sex change operations to win the discus medal
                                                                            in the Olympics for this to be worthy of the reams of print dedicated to it.

The ruling above quietly allows the problem to be answered without disparaging gender or identity I guess.

Sucks for her obviously.
                                                                            Last edited by DeadParrot; 01-05-19, 12:02.

Comment

Don't know a single one and not even sure if any close friends or relations know any either, have never once heard it mentioned. Surely the actual % of trans folk in a general population is tiny, as in less than 1%?

Course at the same time we all tend to congregate in groups made up of similar type people, with similar backgrounds, experiences and so on - often am amazed when you see the % of households made up of unmarried people, single-parent families, etc... as every single one of my siblings and group of close friends did the very traditional 'get married before having kids' and likewise almost all waited to get married before buying a house.

No doubt if you have one trans friends, you probably have five!

Comment

The Ls and Gs are obviously well represented but do we have any idea what % of the population the Ts are? Feels like the media coverage is way out of proportion to actual numbers but that's a completely uninformed opinion.
                                                                                I know three people who have transitioned fully, I was in primary school with one guy and two girls in secondary school.
                                                                                My sis is very good friends with one of the girls now. <200 in both schools at the time too.

Largely agree DP too, there's been a couple of stories recently related to trans athletes competing in sports, I read a story about an American powerlifter who was banned recently.
                                                                                Last edited by Guest; 01-05-19, 12:07.

Comment

Uncles wife's niece is now a nephew. Whole thing seemed to split the parents up. That and probably the fact he is a senior detective in a rough enough area and word got around.

The kid seems fairly well balanced to be fair.

Comment

oh I know, I got caught in a conversation about it recently was was pretty flummoxed as my
                                                                                    liberal leanings went down the "you are who you identify route" while my brain screamed at me for ignoring the very real physical differences.

I will say this though, I sincerely doubt there is enough volume of young athletes undergoing sex change operations to win the discus medal
                                                                                    in the Olympics for this to be worthy of the reams of print dedicated to it.

The ruling above quietly allows the problem to be answered without disparaging gender or identity I guess.

Sucks for her obviously.
                                                                                    it's a terrible ruling tbf. it's ok for her to compete as long as she takes drugs? WTF?

Are we going to expunge all records and athletes who had a natural given edge, a mutation, a physiological advantage?

i think a lot of us here have read the sports gene by epstein and finding the freaks of nature in one form or another for different sports is part of the selection process in most countries.

Comment

it's a terrible ruling tbf. it's ok for her to compete as long as she takes drugs? WTF?

Are we going to expunge all records and athletes who had a natural given edge, a mutation, a physiological advantage?

i think a lot of us here have read the sports gene by epstein and finding the freaks of nature in one form or another for different sports is part of the selection process in most countries.
                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                        Don't know a single one and not even sure if any close friends or relations know any either, have never once heard it mentioned. Surely the actual % of trans folk in a general population is tiny, as in less than 1%?

Course at the same time we all tend to congregate in groups made up of similar type people, with similar backgrounds, experiences and so on - often am amazed when you see the % of households made up of unmarried people, single-parent families, etc... as every single one of my siblings and group of close friends did the very traditional 'get married before having kids' and likewise almost all waited to get married before buying a house.

No doubt if you have one trans friends, you probably have five!
                                                                                        Yeah our view of what's normal or average is so skewed. Wonder what the makeup of the median lifestyle is, what's the median weekend activity etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                          Uncles wife's niece is now a nephew. Whole thing seemed to split the parents up. That and probably the fact he is a senior detective in a rough enough area and word got around.

The kid seems fairly well balanced to be fair.
                                                                                          That's transexual, as opposed to transgender?

I am very confused Ted.

Comment

Yeah our view of what's normal or average is so skewed. Wonder what the makeup of the median lifestyle is, what's the median weekend activity etc.
                                                                                            I plan to become a total deviant in retirement.

Comment

I am very confused Ted.
                                                                                              I was at the bar last night, the lounge girl said. Anyone know CPR? I said I know the whole bloody alphabet girl. Everyone laughed, well everyone apart from one humourless fucker

Comment

Surely it is unfair for hermaphrodite / transsexual / transgender athletes to compete in women's events? I also would consider it unfair if a miracle surgery fixed a guy's paraplegia and he decided to still compete in the Paralympics.

Sports events have binary categories for the time being, and for good reason. You may get to choose your sex / gender, but you don't get to choose the category of sports competition imo.

Yes that may mean you don't get to compete in it, but that's life sometimes. Think about all the women who are being unfairly competed with maybe and don't be so selfish? There's a reason why there is a women's category, respect the sport imo.

Comment

I am very confused Ted.
                                                                                                  Is it. Ok. I dunno.

Comment

Is it. Ok. I dunno.
                                                                                                    Transsexual = actual gender reassignment surgery
                                                                                                    Transgender = identifying as a different gender

Gotta respect the commitment implicit in the former. Whereas if the latter means 'call me Shirley at weekends', it seems a bit...fucking trivial tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                      Spent the day in the CCJ observing the Patrick Quirke trial. Tis some building. Interesting case. Him being found innocent long odds on.
                                                                                                      Guilty.

Comment

Gotta respect the commitment implicit in the former. Whereas if the latter means 'call me Shirley at weekends', it seems a bit...fucking trivial tbh.
                                                                                                        I see.

So those in Camp B who don't make it to Camp A are just all talking bollocks then?

Comment

Ok you've admitting to being confused. That's half the battle . Now which one ya xonsidering going for ?

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...iaaf-athletics
                                                                                                            What was this criteria? I think a lot of the opinions on this don't have all the facts.
                                                                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                              Ok you've admitting to being confused. That's half the battle . Now which one ya xonsidering going for ?
                                                                                                              Shure fuckit, can't I have both?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                Surely it is unfair for hermaphrodite / transsexual / transgender athletes to compete in women's events? I also would consider it unfair if a miracle surgery fixed a guy's paraplegia and he decided to still compete in the Paralympics.

Sports events have binary categories for the time being, and for good reason. You may get to choose your sex / gender, but you don't get to choose the category of sports competition imo.

Yes that may mean you don't get to compete in it, but that's life sometimes. Think about all the women who are being unfairly competed with maybe and don't be so selfish? There's a reason why there is a women's category, respect the sport imo.
                                                                                                                Daddy daddy whats transexual.?
                                                                                                                Spurs my lad Spurs

Comment

I see.

So those in Camp B who don't make it to Camp A are just all talking bollocks then?
                                                                                                                  Sure, what do I know.

Which category is your niece\nephew? I assumed actual surgery based on your post.

Comment

I see.

Obtuse but I like it.

Comment

Ahead of tonight's Champions League clash with Barcelona, the British Home Office have warned fans to be aware of pickpockets and thieves before and after the game.

A spokesperson said: "scousers are well known for these kinds of acts, so the Catalans should be on their guard."

Comment

Sure, what do I know.

Which category is your niece\nephew? I assumed actual surgery based on your post.
                                                                                                                        Hormones/Surgery and all the rest

Comment

why are they running the wrong way down the track?
                                                                                                                          Wind was high, so they reversed direction in to have a tailwind instead of a headwind.

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                          Wind was 4.5 or so. Higher than 2.1 excludes records being set.
                                                                                                                          It would have been 10.1 with wind at 2.0, still hugely impressive for a teen. Especially considering he's probably clean.

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                          Amend your spoiler. It makes us whiteys seem like quitters
                                                                                                                          Nah. Not quitters. Just genetics.
                                                                                                                          Something like 140 people have broken 10 seconds. And maybe 5 were not West African descent.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X