Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent article here on the Boeing 737 Max mess

Angle-of-attack sensors look like wind vanes because that’s exactly what they are. They are mechanical hands designed to rotate in response to changes in that angle of attack

In the 737 Max, only one of the flight management computers is active at a time—either the pilot’s computer or the copilot’s computer. And the active computer takes inputs only from the sensors on its own side of the aircraft.

When the two computers disagree, the solution for the humans in the cockpit is to look across the control panel to see what the other instruments are saying and then sort it out. In the Boeing system, the flight management computer does not “look across” at the other instruments. It believes only the instruments on its side. It doesn’t go old-school. It’s modern. It’s software.

This means that if a particular angle-of-attack sensor goes haywire—which happens all the time in a machine that alternates from one extreme environment to another, vibrating and shaking all the way—the flight management computer just believes it.

It is astounding that no one who wrote the MCAS software for the 737 Max seems even to have raised the possibility of using multiple inputs, including the opposite angle-of-attack sensor, in the computer’s determination of an impending stall. As a lifetime member of the software development fraternity, I don’t know what toxic combination of inexperience, hubris, or lack of cultural understanding led to this mistake.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Sharing these a lot lately but Vox had a brief explanation recently

This isn’t just a computer bug. It’s a scandal.Join the Video Lab! http://bit.ly/video-labTwo Boeing airplanes have fallen out of the air and crashed in the ...

Comment

Terrible murder in Derry last night.

He hasn't gone away you know

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Thread on Reddit of what's the hardest 'would you rather?' proposition you've heard.
            3-bet

SPOILER
            All songs exist but they are all performed by Pitbull, or only one Pitbull song exists but it's performed by every artist with their own cover interpretation?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
              My reading of that is that they wanted him out of the office area which was otherwise inhabited by SF and down the hall in the area inhabited by the indos?

Tobin was on a radio panel up against some not very bright shinner and the rest of the participants sat back and let the two of them get on with their intellectual cripple fight. You could hear the genuine hatred and anger the shinner had for him and it was a bit more scary than comic.

Comment

Thread on Reddit of what's the hardest 'would you rather?' proposition you've heard.
                Reddit is very focused on incest

Comment

That's not even a choice.

Toto's Africa one zillion percent. It's a cracking song.

Comment

Squirrels are resident in the garden of the new place.

Setting the line on when the dog has a heart attack at 2 weeks.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Not that long ago you’d be doing backflips of disbelief to get a stretch of weather like this for a few days in July
                      Sitting at the beach now, there arekids are splashing about in their togs not a bother. In mid April. Mad stuff

Comment

...One I was asked was- would you rather shag your girlfriends face on your mams body, or your mams face on your girlfriends body...

Comment

...Also, if you had to have sex with an animal, which would you choose...

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                            Not that long ago you’d be doing backflips of disbelief to get a stretch of weather like this for a few days in July
                            Sitting at the beach now, there arekids are splashing about in their togs not a bother. In mid April. Mad stuff
                            Cloudy mostly in the east, which is a pity. Hopefully the sun is out more tomorrow.

Comment

Comment

Started 10 days off today, can't complain as it's quite nice down here, walked a 10km loop, sat on the beach for a while, pretty busy with the amusements in full swing and Dooleys out the door as standard when the sun shines at all.

First of my mates from home coming down to see the house tomorrow so we'll probably spend the day out in Dunmore East and the night in Tramore.

Off to Cinque Terre on Tuesday for a few days hiking and eating. It appears to have become very popular in recent years so some of the allure is gone but still a reasonably priced break over Easter.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post

Off to Cinque Terre on Tuesday for a few days hiking and eating. It appears to have become very popular in recent years so some of the allure is gone but still a reasonably priced break over Easter.
                                  I'll be in positano and rome from next thursday on. Venturing towards there at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                    I'll be in positano and rome from next thursday on. Venturing towards there at all?
                                    Not sure if you've been before or not but Positano is special.
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                      Not sure if you've been before or not but Positano is special.
                                      Drove through it in 2015 when going from naples to puglia. stopped for lunch. wife has stayed at the hotel in the cliffs before hand and liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                        No unfortunately not, apparently it's fantastic though. Hopefully you get some decent weather, Cinque Terre can be erratic with many of the treks closed with minimal rain.

The furthest we'll likely venture is Pisa for a day trip.
                                        Italian girl I work said it's somewhat unusual for an Italian town as it's supposedly not designed around a church & square and it has a large amount of greenery instead of cobblestone.

Comment

Was approaching the trolleys at Lidl earlier and a Roma gypsy man was sitting on the ground beside them selling the Big Issue. Did my usual, natural internal avoidance prep, avoiding eye contact.

I had some coins in my pocket and was rooting around for them.

Made eye contact with him and he did something that blew me away.

He took a €1 coin out of his jacket pocket and offered it to me.

Comment

He took a €1 coin out of his jacket pocket and offered it to me.
                                            Gotta speculate to accumulate.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                              Gotta speculate to accumulate.
                                              The cynic in me momentarily thought it was a clever ploy, offer €1 knowing trolley takes €2 and saps like me will hand over.

Either way it worked, gave him a few euro.

I don't think so though, he had a kindness about him.

Comment

What We Do in the Shadows , Tv show spin off from the Film is very good, Matt Berry in it, so has to be really.

Great theme song, from 1966!

American folk singer/songwriter Norma Tanega’s “You’re Dead” [1966] is the main theme included in the soundtrack for the brilliant, hilarious New Zealand ind...
                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

***** this is not in anyway lessening what happened to that journalist *****

But, all those criticisms aimed at politicians who call her death 'accidental killings' rather than 'murder' are wrong, no? As in doesn't murder have to be intentionally killing someone, or have I watched too much Boston Legal.

Do realise it's not the point, but ...
                                                    Personally I think if someone fires indiscriminately into a group of people it's murder if one of those people dies.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Personally I think if someone fires indiscriminately into a group of people it's murder if one of those people dies.
                                                          Was eggspecting more Jesus related posting from you

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                              Was eggspecting more Jesus related posting from you
                                                              Lazare gone quiet because atheists ruined Good Friday drinking for everyone. Had a few beers this evening they just don’t taste as good anymore, GFYL

Comment

Lazare gone quiet because atheists ruined Good Friday drinking for everyone. Had a few beers this evening they just don’t taste as good anymore, GFYL
                                                                I missed the oul Thurs night scramble for stock. Not the same. Bought a 12 pack of Grolsch in Lidl today and ate some chicken.

Every Friday is good anyway. Romans shoulda done it on a Monday.

Comment

Every Friday is good anyway. Romans shoulda done it on a Monday.
                                                                  Was it not yourself years ago who suggested all bank holidays should be moved from Monday to Friday? I thought it was a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                    Was it not yourself years ago who suggested all bank holidays should be moved from Monday to Friday? I thought it was a great idea.
                                                                    Yep. Tweeted about it tonight..

Comment

A nice, positive post that I'm sure hotspur will approve of!

SPOILER
                                                                      We'll just ignore the "we're all going to die due to global warming" undertones.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                        My reading of that is that they wanted him out of the office area which was otherwise inhabited by SF and down the hall in the area inhabited by the indos?
                                                                        It was the same SF office he was in. He had been told to vacate and apply for a office - as that's apparently the process - but refused.
                                                                        Can't say I have any sympathy tbh. Didn't he quit SF because they voted to support the right to abortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                          It was the same SF office he was in. He had been told to vacate and apply for a office - as that's apparently the process - but refused.
                                                                          Can't say I have any sympathy tbh. Didn't he quit SF because they voted to support the right to abortion.
                                                                          I think it's the tone rather than the technicalities that matters here. There is a pattern of Sinn Fein treating what they perceive as traitors in this way. Remember Maria Cahill....

Anyway off to do my 12 hours of painting now.

Manual labour is overrated, I don't care what Van the man says.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Anyway off to do my 12 hours of painting now.

Manual labour is overrated, I don't care what Van the man says.
                                                                            Ah sure what else would you be doing on Hitlers birthday. Arbeit macht frei,

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Wayne Hennessey is desperate to improve his knowledge of Hitler and Nazi Germany following the revelation he did not know what a Nazi salute was, Roy Hodgson has said.

Wayne Hennessey was said to ‘desperate’ to improve his knowledge of Hitler following the revelation he did not know what a Nazi salute was

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                Reddit is very focused on incest
                                                                                As is Pornhub.
                                                                                Always has its fingers on the pulse of the Internet.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                  Yep. Tweeted about it tonight..

Move to Malta Lazare

Friday was a bank holiday here, Monday is not.

The next 2 bank holidays are Wed 1st May and Friday 7th June

On the flip side, 4 of the remaining 7 holidays following that fall on the weekend so you don't get to benefit from them!

Comment

Two best signs from the climate march

Comment

Anyways it's distasteful on my part to be even thinking like that in a time of personal tragedy, so will leave it.
                                                                                      I've seen the video. Laz is right, the narrative attempted by Saoradh of republican defenders if fucking appalling.
                                                                                      This was scumbags pure and simple.
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                        I've seen the video. Laz is right, the narrative attempted by Saoradh of republican defenders if fucking appalling.
                                                                                        This was scumbags pure and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                          Move to Malta Lazare

Friday was a bank holiday here, Monday is not.

The next 2 bank holidays are Wed 1st May and Friday 7th June

On the flip side, 4 of the remaining 7 holidays following that fall on the weekend so you don't get to benefit from them!
                                                                                          I'm a shift worker, 26 days annual leave and then get the 14 days public holidays added to my balance in lieu.

Comment

...Is there a live stream for the Irish open, and if yes would anyone have a link?...

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                              I'm a shift worker, 26 days annual leave and then get the 14 days public holidays added to my balance in lieu.
                                                                                              Holy shit. Any jobs going?
                                                                                              Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                ...Is there a live stream for the Irish open, and if yes would anyone have a link?...
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                  Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                                    Yeah we get 26 days too, but as we never work weekends, we just lose them (Think it's 6 this year) There has to be some perks for working weekends though!

Comment

...

Comment

35 days a year here plus an extra 2 days a month to compensate for 35-hour work week (RTT). Although we also lose bank holidays when they fall on the weekend. Doesn't affect me really as can't take all those holidays, but think average French gets about 28 days plus 24 days RTT, they usually take them all and still end up more productive than most other countries that get far more holidays. Proving that a good holiday is a bit of a win-win for both employees and employers.
                                                                                                        The French? Productive? Really?

Comment

Lol. Got a job offer this morning. Guy said you get 20 days holidays and that's made up of 2 weeks off (so 10 days) a d the rest are taken as the bank holidays. I almost laughed down the phone at him. Wont be taking that job.

Comment

One of the crowds I consult for have asked me to look at an email delay system they heard French businesses had implemented. If a work email is sent outside working hours it sits in a queue and get delivered when you are back in the next morning.
                                                                                                            A director of another place got me to limit his incoming emails to a one hour window in morning and one hour in afternoons. That was before xmas and he says he is delighted with the results.
                                                                                                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Mate of mine who is from/lives in Paris has 9 weeks holidays (45 days).

Her goal for next review is to up that to 10 weeks rather than a pay rise.

Mad stuff Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Mad stuff Ted
                                                                                                                33 days at sky
                                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                                      One of the crowds I consult for have asked me to look at an email delay system they heard French businesses had implemented. If a work email is sent outside working hours it sits in a queue and get delivered when you are back in the next morning.
                                                                                                                      A director of another place got me to limit his incoming emails to a one hour window in morning and one hour in afternoons. That was before xmas and he says he is delighted with the results.
                                                                                                                      Is there a way to switch off Outlook for Android at weekends? I'm always getting irrelevant IT emails.

Comment

Your in house guys can use conditional access on the exchange server to do that Denny.

What I am looking at is linking the HR/holiday booking system to Exchange to set all those things automatically. Our phone system already does this so if people are off it will go to voicemail or route call to appropriate colleague without them having to remember
                                                                                                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Mad stuff Ted
                                                                                                                          Tried to negotiate more holidays when I went for my last pay rise and they said it's not something they do and don't want to set a precedent by doing it for me. Still got the cash I wanted so it was all ok. I will try again for more holidays next time I'm due a bump, would happily take less than the value of a pay rise for extra days off.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X