Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually head someone say “xxxx and I went to London last weekend” instead of the now widely accepted as grammatically correct “me and xxxx went to london last weekend”. Christ , they probably travelled by steam engine and Ford model T too

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      Hypocrisy? Seriously you are totally out of line here. I approach every conversation here in good faith.

I asked above if anyone could clarify who did the evicting and on whose behalf as I don't know and couldn't make out from the linked article. I hadn't seen or heard anywhere previously that the people who did the eviction are/were known to the authorities. I have no idea what the form-filling procedure is for these things and as always am happy to be informed by someone who knows better.

I made a general point as this incident reminded me of the previous incident in Dublin where a load of goons jumped out of the back of an untaxed NI reg van and assaulted protesters. There have been many reports of unscrupulous landlords using thugs to carry out extra-legal evictions over the last several months. I'm glad to hear this is not the case in this instance and grateful to anyone who takes the time to explain it to me.

I think there is some merit in the idea of state or council employed 'evictors', maybe there isn't. I didn't bother mentioning the people who burnt out the cars and maimed the dog as I inferred everyone was on the same page about them. If there is something in my posting to suggest I disagree with delinquent owners or tenants being lawfully evicted, and/or I'm a supporter of vigilantism I can only promise you I didn't intend to suggest either.

Anyway, I might be uninformed but I resent being called a hypocrite. Happy Christmas.
      These stories always have the same pattern, a great news headline and sound bite that anyone can support, but they always seem to have a rational back story, which no one ever hears. It’s like putting a slanderous story in bold on the front page, yet the apology is in small text mid-way through the paper.

No one wants to see people evicted, no one wants to see people go to jail for nicking Pringle’s, just like no one wants to pay high taxes, but there has to be consequences for not upholding your side of the social contract. You can’t claim to be a great man for the community and also be a tax defaulter, whether your funneling revenue through offshore means at the top end or simply undeclaring it at the bottom.

I’ve heard so many people talking about the cronyism of FF/FG but the reality is that it’s just not their cronyism. No one runs on a message of “we won’t do favour for anyone, even you!”. So, I find some of the populist posturing a bit rich.

Comment

Had to say Shrap correcting someone's gramnar was post of the day. WP.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

This place has gone to the dogs. Before when two people had a full on arguement, it went on for days and ended up with one challenging to the other to heads up for Rollz, or a blue collar boxing match or some sort of ridicilious prop bet to maintian their honour. Now we're conciliatory, willing to see other points of view and even concede we might have made a mistake in our assertions. Are we even on the internet at all?

In other news, came into work today and a staff all e-mail landed into my inbox, saying that they had picked up a coat left behind on Saturday night, if anybody was missing one. It was my coat. Now, I was pretty much the last person out of the place on Saturday night and the person who so kindly took the coat home, was gone before me so I know that they just took it, probably becuase their own coat wasn't warm enough for the squally weather or maybe becuase they were just an absolute drunkness mess. I decided to be like the new IPB and thank him for taking the coat home and leave it there but I could see they were sheepish as fuck. They know that they took it well before I left and they know that I know that they took it well before I left.

Comment

Fuck you and your coat you cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
              Fuck you and your coat you cunt.
              Blue collar boxing match in the new year?

No point playing for rollz, you're smashed after buying the new gaff

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                This place has gone to the dogs. Before when two people had a full on arguement, it went on for days and ended up with one challenging to the other to heads up for Rollz, or a blue collar boxing match or some sort of ridicilious prop bet to maintian their honour. Now we're conciliatory, willing to see other points of view and even concede we might have made a mistake in our assertions. Are we even on the internet at all?

In other news, came into work today and a staff all e-mail landed into my inbox, saying that they had picked up a coat left behind on Saturday night, if anybody was missing one. It was my coat. Now, I was pretty much the last person out of the place on Saturday night and the person who so kindly took the coat home, was gone before me so I know that they just took it, probably becuase their own coat wasn't warm enough for the squally weather or maybe becuase they were just an absolute drunkness mess. I decided to be like the new IPB and thank him for taking the coat home and leave it there but I could see they were sheepish as fuck. They know that they took it well before I left and they know that I know that they took it well before I left.
                woke up with a beret on a while ago. No idea ..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                  woke up with a beret on a while ago. No idea ..
                  You look like the type who'd wear a beret to be fair.

Comment

You look like the type who'd wear a beret to be fair.
                    The type to wear a bidet imo.

Comment

Nice of you to let them keep the coat.

Email going round my work that they're Ralph Lauren coat was taken at my work do, was thrown for a second

Comment

I got Mrs Lao Lao's brother in law in her family Kris Kindle. He's a lovely fella but he is the ultimate stereotype of the person who has everything and needs nothing, no pressure on the present front so!. To add to that, they live in Melbourne so need to get it sent there in time for Christmas. After racking the brains, eventually came up with a decent idea but it was too late to send from Ireland. 1st website, didn't deliver to Australia, 2nd website did deliver but couldn't get there in time so found a 3rd website, who are based in Australia and can deliver in time but don't take orders from anybody living outside of Australia for some weird reason (they take payment by VISA and Mastercard)

Had a drunken phone call with them Saturday night / Sunday morning and got no joy so sent a drunken e-mail at 4AM, cause you know, it would clearly change their company policy.

SPOILER
                        Hi Iconic,

This is 2018 here. I'm not sure what year you are living in but I'm guessing it's pre-globalisation, so it must be, at best, 1960 or maybe earlier?

So, here's the deal. My brother in law lives in Australia and I have him in my family Kris Kindle. I know, getting your brother in law is a pain in the hoop. You don't really know him that well but yet you are expected to somehow pull a top drawer present put of your Ying Yang or else, you'll be the black sheep of the family, not that being the black sheep is a bad thing, but the black sheep of the in-laws family is never a good thing. Sure most of them already think you were never good enough to marry into the family as it is (am I right? I'm certainly not wrong!) but it's never a title you aspire to.

So, what do you do? Well, first off, you spend about three weeks racking your brains, trying to come up with a present that A) doesn't look cheap as fuck and B) isn't totally over the budget ('cos, let's face it, nobody likes an in-law who comes in all flash, trying to buy the family love) and when that fails, you're generally left with a week before Christmas with no present bought. Queue, panic and not just panic but panic present buying. You've already missed the last post to make it to Australia so you embark on the epic journey of trying to find shops in Australia that have a delivery service.

And, then it happens. You come across Iconic. It's a modern website, it's laid out well, it's got good functionality. It's mobile friendly. As websites go, it's pretty impressive. Even better, it stocks good products and even better, it stocks Filson, a brand you know that your brother in law, the man that has it all, really, really, really likes. You can't believe your luck, it's like your team has won the grand final (my team is St Kilda by the way, please don't judge me) at the same that you pulled that girl that you fancied for about 5 years and thought she didn't know who you were while you also got a promotion in work and you realised that what you thought was the first nose hair was actually just a hair from your beard that had grown upwards (Let's be honest here, your first nose hair is a horrific event, it's the point when you realise, you are a grown up, and not just a grown up but a full on old grown up who is no longer cool, no matter how young you feel, once that nose hair arrives, the converse runners are gone, the hoodie under your coat, gone. Going to a three-day music festival, forget about it. Young people look at you like you are old, just like you looked at people with nose hair when you were young, it's like David Attenborough is doing the voice over to the end of your Dynasty)

Anyhow, I digress. Let's go back to finding that great present, the one that will cement your presence with the in-laws, the one that says, he's alright, she didn't marry down after all, maybe we were too harsh on him, I mean, he's bought something from Filson and he's managed to get it delivered to Australia in time for Christmas so he can't be a complete fucking idiot. And then it happens, the shiny, fancy, modern looking website says, "Your purchase cannot be processed"

It must be a mistake, some weird anomaly. So, you sit up until 3AM so you can be on the right time zone to call Iconic and see what went wrong and then, well, then, it all goes wrong. They tell you because you don't live in Australia, they can't take an order from you, even though it is to be delivered in Australia and even though you can pay by either Visa or Mastercard, two globally accepted methods of payments, two methods of payment that are accepted on the Iconic website. Surely, this cannot be true, not in 2018, the year that we have commercial passengers booking flights into space, the year that Russia presents a robot at a tech festival that turns out to be some lad in a suit, the year that Trump's lawyer gets sent to jail for three years, two thousand and eighteen, two thousand and eighteen.

Really? Surely, it's a mistake? Please, say it ain't so, cause I've got a brother in law who always thought I was never good enough to marry his sister in law and Iconic are proving his theory here, I mean, who the fuck can't order something online for delivery?

TLDR - They didn't change their company policy.

Comment

... That's the post of the year right there...Surely someone on IPB can help make this happen by being in Australia or knowing someone who does?...

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Lao Lao Ive got some very reliable buds in Melbourne. If I can help, I will.
                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Comment

Juncker can do what he likes imo. Legend.

Comment

Should have asked Mellor to buy it for you and send him the loots!

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                      Lao Lao Ive got some very reliable buds in Melbourne. If I can help, I will.
                                      Cheers man, just managed to get it sorted but appreciate the offer!

Comment

Comment

It's only in last year or 2 have started to use REFS deploying servers, which is next evolution in file systems. Was a game changer when NTFS allowed files >>4gb on commonly available hardware. That increase in storage capabilities helped drag CPU and RAM development along to handle doing stuff with the larger files and DBs. Virtualisation has been a cosmic shift for server admins in last 10 years, and REFS has some nice features to enhance that platform
                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

where that old thread with all my laughing gifs?
                                            Last edited by DeadParrot; 18-12-18, 09:59.
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Give it t' Giggsy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                Opened my final 2010 Meerlust this evening. Tis mighty.
                                                Went digging around at the bottom of my stash last night, discovered that my sole remaining Meerlust is a 2007. I'd say that's been quietly maturing away there for at least eight years.

Will report post Xmas consumption.

Also found a 2004 Musar. Nothing pre-millenium, sadly.

Comment

Wine question, I've a half dozen bottles of tesco's €8.50 per screwtop bottle specials that are sitting around for 12 months.
                                                  Are they a/ safe b/ any more or less drinkable than they were a year ago?

Same question but 36 months+ for some good quality chablis?
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Having shivers of schadenfreude for that cunt Mourinho.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                      Wine question, I've a half dozen bottles of tesco's €8.50 per screwtop bottle specials that are sitting around for 12 months.

a/no reason for them not to be safe

b/pot luck. some might taste fine, others not. Fact is, some might have tasted awful from the get go.

same answers for the Chablis

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                        Give it t' Giggsy.
                                                        Carrick seems to be the name touted

however...
                                                        SPOILER

MA! WHERE'S ME RED TOIE?!
                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Comment

Michael Carrick, the next in line sent forward to attempt to clean up Fergies mess. Happy Xmas to me
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Pogba with the tweet and delete

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                  Pogba with the tweet and delete

Was on his instagram and twitter.

That would've been a scheduled post one would assume.. Just unfortunate timing; hence the swift deletion

Comment

The Tesco wine will definitely be safe to drink. No idea as to the quality of it. At 8.50 a pop, I wouldn't have thought it would be great quality but it's possible to get a bargain.

I wouldn't have any issues on the Chablis at all.

Comment

Tesco definitely safe to drink. May or may not taste good though. Depends on how old it was when you bought it, the variety, etc. Probably best to drink it soonish.

Good Chablis will be fine after 3 years. Probably even improved. Some would be at their best after 10 years.

On the topic. I found myself on a wine auction site at the weekend. It's Christmas I thought, so now I'm the owner of a 1996 Penfolds. Will find an excuse soon as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                        Starting to become a bit of an important inflection point in US markets.

Looks like the year will end up a minor loser, which is rare enough, but not too rare (S&P500 ends up negative about 25% of the time).

But if markets were to trundle into 2019 and maybe lazily dip another 10% or so in the first few months, then the whole tone of the market will flip around towards a safety story. People starting to ditch equity ETFs in favour of 3% US gov bonds and a resulting self-fulfilling effect of further falls.

Could be nasty. Probably won't. But could be.

The plus side is that there doesn't seem to be any major smoking gun to blow up markets. Also generally theres a wall of money that needs to be invested so will be looking for opportunities to dive back in.

We'll see. Bro was saying his US bank is already cutting back planned bonuses for the year (he works in the division where he has to account for the planned overall bonus amount).
                                                                        Haven't been in a rush to add into the pension the last couple of months.

Is it still the case that we have until Nov 2019 to pay in for 2018?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                          Haven't been in a rush to add into the pension the last couple of months.

Is it still the case that we have until Nov 2019 to pay in for 2018?
                                                                          Yes. You could also just put it into cash via your pension and collect the tax relief and switch to something else later.
                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Buy the dip!

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                              Yes. You could also just put it into cash via your pension and collect the tax relief and switch to something else later.
                                                                              What's the story with using your pension pot to invest (buy shares in) a private company that you currently have no ownership in?

I'll be investing in a company in the next couple of months and am due a work bonus which I could use to make an AVC into the pension and avail of the tax relief, just wondering if I can marry the two...
                                                                              Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                                                What's the story with using your pension pot to invest (buy shares in) a private company that you currently have no ownership in?

I'll be investing in a company in the next couple of months and am due a work bonus which I could use to make an AVC into the pension and avail of the tax relief, just wondering if I can marry the two...
                                                                                Tricky. You could potentially do this a SSAS if you were doing it on an arms length basis. Ie you had no connection to the company and you had enough funds to justify setting up a small self administered pension scheme.

Typically that means 500k+ in your pension pot and a company that you have no connection with allowing you to buy in. I doubt this is the case in reality so therefore it’s probably a non runner for you.
                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                    Give it t' Giggsy.
                                                                                    Mike Phelan and Solakjaer the latest reports

The circus continues

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                      Mike Phelan and Solakjaer the latest reports

The circus continues
                                                                                      Mr Solskjaer to you

Comment

So this guy has over 200k subscribers, and all he does is sit and smile

All hell seemed to break loose in this episode though..

This episode of Sitting and Smiling features a very special guest.
                                                                                        About 2.5 hours into the webcast, I hear someone come into the
                                                                                        house, which is odd, because my only housemate is at work, and we
                                                                                        aren't expecting anyone. I realize I didn't check to see if the doors
                                                                                        were locked before starting the webcast. I hear the person stealthily moving
                                                                                        around the house, and then I hear them stealthily climbing the stairs,
                                                                                        towards my room. My door opens, and I hear an unfamiliar male
                                                                                        voice say "Hello?". Then, after presumably seeing me sitting still and
                                                                                        smiling in front of a camera, lit from beneath by a florescent bulb, he
                                                                                        promptly descends the stairs and exits the house.

You can see this happen at 2:36:30

As it turns out, the doors were locked, and he had broken one open.
                                                                                        We found nothing missing, as there is not really anything of value
                                                                                        in the house other than the laptop I was using to webcast.

Comment

The new white hart lane looks like it’s gonna be straight in at number 1 on best Premiership stadiums and up there with anywhere in the world.
                                                                                          Looks like it’ll be good for atmosphere too, they’ve learned from the Emirates and emptyhad anyway, good to see

Comment

It would be such a beautiful thing if the blatant abusing his so called charity as a personal slushfund is what sinks Trump.

Comment

Spent three hours drinking gin and discussing cricket, arranged marriage and Indian classical dance just now. Time well spent imo although my views on the latter two topics may have been slightly less than well-informed.

Comment

Also developed and revealed a rather elegant theory about the cultural framework of citizens of small countries vs large.

Which is: citizens of small countries know a little about a lot, citizens of large countries know a lot about a little.

Quite pleased with this so GFYL.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                  Spent three hours drinking gin and discussing cricket, arranged marriage and Indian classical dance just now. Time well spent imo although my views on the latter two topics may have been slightly less than well-informed.
                                                                                                  Also developed and revealed a rather elegant theory about the cultural framework of citizens of small countries vs large.

Which is: citizens of small countries know a little about a lot, citizens of large countries know a lot about a little.

Quite pleased with this so GFYL.
                                                                                                  Such a nice way to celebrate Joe Stalin's birthday.
                                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                    Such a nice way to celebrate Joe Stalin's birthday.
                                                                                                    I bet you dug out the old Red Banner and pleasured yourself to old recordings of May Day parades. You filthy animal.

Comment

7 seems the optimal Tuesday pint number.

Comment

I bet you dug out the old Red Banner and pleasured yourself to old recordings of May Day parades. You filthy animal.
                                                                                                        Recently found a large Papal/Vatican flag from 1979. I'm considering wearing it as a poncho on xmas day, at my still Catholic sisters gaff.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                          Recently found a large Papal/Vatican flag from 1979. I'm considering wearing it as a poncho on xmas day, at my still Catholic sisters gaff.
                                                                                                          A bandana would be more sightly imo.

Comment

...

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Catching up on David vs Goliath, spoilers for an episode or two after the merge.

SPOILER
                                                                                                                The blindside to get rid of John is the most perfectly executed tribal council move I've ever seen. Unbelievable move.

Comment

...

Comment

Quality Map porn

USA segment is an amazing revelation

Comment

@keane yep! Beautiful.
                                                                                                                      Next episode was reckless as well. Exceptional season.

Comment

...

Comment

It's just a nice bunch of people. Will wait till you catch up before expressing favourites in case of inadvertent spoilers. But have two clear ones, one from beginning and other from around episode 3.
                                                                                                                          When is it due to finish?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X