Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    That might change things. I'm not familiar with passport cards. You need to send up Eamo signal
    I don't see how it would change things. You can go to UK on a driving licence with any airline that isn't Ryanair last I checked.
    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
      Are you sure you can get to London without a passport? Thought you'd need a driving licence with Aer Lingus and Ryanair don't accept them?

If she gets to London can you get the Chunnel without the passport?
      thats right Aer Lingus cityjet and BA your ok but Ryanair won't let you fly
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Hitch - the other option is to go to the airport and find an Irish person flying to Dublin that looks trustworthy and ask them to bring the passport over with them for the missus. This might be the best bet.
        Solid plan... go to CDG and go to check in desk for Dublin, you will find someone... or some hungry looking fecker who'll do anything for €50

Could be the kind of thing where Facebook might be useful.

When is she due to fly?

Comment

Great idea GAB.

The whole thing is very christmassy, in a Planes Trains and Automobiles way.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            Great idea GAB.

The whole thing is very christmassy, in a Planes Trains and Automobiles way.
            "Those aren't pillows"
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              Solid plan... go to CDG and go to check in desk for Dublin, you will find someone... or some hungry looking fecker who'll do anything for €50

Could be the kind of thing where Facebook might be useful.

When is she due to fly?
              I'd do it for 40

Comment

Hitch - the other option is to go to the airport and find an Irish person flying to Dublin that looks trustworthy and ask them to bring the passport over with them for the missus. This might be the best bet.
                or some hapless stupid on a cusp of flunking
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The Irish times / Irishracing.com do a feature every week 'My racing story' highlighting someones involvement usually in one of the weeks big races.
                  This week they talked to Pat Flynn about a horse called Designs on Rome he bought and sold a few years ago that went on to be a superstar in Hong Kong
                  I thought it was good story.

SPOILER

The day I bought him I rang my wife and I said ‘I’m after buying the nicest horse I’ve ever bought in my life’ and I told the lads in the yard, ‘This will be the best horse that ever came into the place.’

His pedigree was fantastic but the minute I saw the horse walk out of the stable, the hair stood up on the back of my neck. That has only happened to me four or five times in my life and it has always proven a good pointer.

I’m restricted by budget and I see a lot of good horses I can’t buy, unless he has something like a splint that will put a lot of the buyers off.

With Designs On Rome, I just happened to go to the Orby Sale for a look that day. I had no big money to buy an Orby horse. I was having a cup of tea and I looked across and saw Moyglare Stud stables. I said I’d go over to have a look because I know the boss, Eva Bucher-Haefner, and because they always produce a lovely horse and I knew whatever I’d be looking at would be nice.

As it happened, Eva was in Switzerland but Fiona Craig was there and I asked Fiona if I could look at a Rock Of Gibraltar colt they had.

So I said. “I’m probably wasting my time here looking at him, I won’t be able to buy him.”

“Well”, she said, “we had a horse just came out there now unsold. We thought he’d make a hundred grand plus. We can’t believe it.”

“What horse was that?” I asked.

“The Holy Roman Emperor” she says and he was just after walking into the stable beside me. You wouldn’t believe it, it was like winning the Lotto! So I said I’d have a look at him and I knew straight away. I said nothing, kept talking away about the Rock Of Gibraltar horse, although of course I’d lost all interest in him.

Eventually I asked about this other fella and Fiona said there was a 20 grand reserve on him but I said I’d only 10. Fiona rang up Eva and told her the story, and once she heard it was me offering the 10, she said ‘Sell him to Pat.’ When we walked into the office, my hand was shaking. I couldn’t believe I was getting this horse for 10 grand.

And what was wrong with him? They were gone off the sire and he wasn’t walking that great in the ring but I thought he was the nicest horse I’d ever seen. I have unreal craic with Eva and Fiona over it now.

I didn’t sell any share in him because I wanted to be free to sell him. And that would always be the plan. If I had a couple of million in the bank, I would love to have held onto him but we have to get money to pay staff, bills and keep the place going.

Designs On Rome wasn’t really a two-year-old but he was so good he was able to win at two for us in Naas. He finished second then to Dawn Approach in the National Stakes and Danny Grant said to me if he’d another furlong he’d have won by three lengths. Seven furlongs was too short but as we saw in Hong Kong so often, he needed time to warm up, be last the whole way and then swoop around the outside to win.

When we sold him, I sent a message to his trainer, John Moore, that this would be one of the best horses that ever came into Hong Kong.

Myself and my son Mark flew over to watch him run in the Hong Kong Derby. It was some excitement when he won that. It was great to see him perform at such a high level and be named Horse of the Year. He won four Group 1s, including the Hong Kong Gold Cup twice.

It hasn’t had any positive impact on me other than the great money I got for him. I got no orders for two-year-olds or anything out of it. Sometimes you wonder what you have to do when you bought a horse like him, broke him and trained him. But that’s how it is.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-12-18, 13:40.
                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

This is something that's been on my mind for a long time.

Finally got it off my chest tonight and had a spat with Dobby about it.

Why the fuck are GAA colour combos so fucking depressingly miserable?

Why do they mimic convent school gabberdeens?

Misery. I think it's a big part of why I've always hated it.
                        Jesus Lazarus you're embittered. First the church and now the gaa-2 great irish institutions. It'll be the pubs next before you up sticks

Comment

Comment

Query which will most likely be answered by DeadParrot if anyone. There's an app which provides loads of useful airport and airspace data for the flight sim community at about 1/8 of the cost of the official aviation version. The only problem is that it requires an internet connection to work, so when you're flying the screen goes grey and says no-dice until you have internet.

The developers alluded to the fact that this could be circumvented on an online forum but obviously didn't say how. Any ideas how you could fool a Galaxy Tab into thinking it's connected to the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              Can't say I'm enormously looking forward to going to the Leinster game. Weather poxy already and forecast to be much worse.
                              Wind and rain actually dropped off in the first half before returning with a vengeance in Leinster's favour. Job very much done.

Comment

Jebus I'd murder a golly bar if I had one

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The 'contains non milk fat' statement reminds me of the second shittiest job in HB. Melting butter. And we're not talking commercially available sizes of butter. I'm not certain, but they were at least 10kg, maybe 20kg.

Melting Belgian chocolate for Magnums felt like a huge promotion

Comment

If you think they were silly jobs that should have been replaced by machines, the sillyist one was feeding a crusher with the biscuit pieces that coated a brunch. Like some other factory was supplying bags of buiscuit pieces that needed to be grinded up in real time to slightly smaller biscuit pierces.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                      Query which will most likely be answered by DeadParrot if anyone. There's an app which provides loads of useful airport and airspace data for the flight sim community at about 1/8 of the cost of the official aviation version. The only problem is that it requires an internet connection to work, so when you're flying the screen goes grey and says no-dice until you have internet.

The developers alluded to the fact that this could be circumvented on an online forum but obviously didn't say how. Any ideas how you could fool a Galaxy Tab into thinking it's connected to the internet?

name of said app?
                                      I'd imagine it's something to do with cloning GPS maybe?
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
                                        Jesus Lazarus you're embittered. First the church and now the gaa-2 great irish institutions. It'll be the pubs next before you up sticks
                                        The church, the GAA, FF and RTE are all targets of my ire.

Comment

name of said app?
                                          I'd imagine it's something to do with cloning GPS maybe?
                                          It's called Navigraph Charts. I don't think it's GPS related. It craps out when it doesn't sense Internet to make sure you don't use it in a real plane. Typically you can get cellular data to to a few thousand feet that keeps it happy but you couldn't depend on it.

Comment

Comment

It's not Flightradar24 is it?

Edit, just saw your post above.

As an aside, Flightradar24 is a fooking great app.
                                              Last edited by Lazare; 15-12-18, 23:15.

Comment

Myself and the missus have gone from watching Gregory Porter on the TV by the fire to seriously considering a trip to NY to see him in Feb.

Crunching the numbers here.

Comment

Womens boxing needs 3 min rounds, taylor would have taken her out in longer round

Comment

The UK's former representative to the EU, Sir Ivan Rogers spoke at the invitation of the University of Liverpool's Heseltine Institute for Public Policy and Place.Here is the full transcript:

This is a seriously good Brexit read. Well good as in, clearly stating just how fucked they are

Comment

It's called Navigraph Charts. I don't think it's GPS related. It craps out when it doesn't sense Internet to make sure you don't use it in a real plane. Typically you can get cellular data to to a few thousand feet that keeps it happy but you couldn't depend on it.
                                                      This not the gist?
                                                      The apps store downloaded charts in a local cache for quick access,

Comment

This.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Myself and the missus have gone from watching Gregory Porter on the TV by the fire to seriously considering a trip to NY to see him in Feb.

Crunching the numbers here.
                                                          There is no excuse needed to go to NYC. My favourite city in the world, if the numbers work, absolutely do it, Gregory Porter aside, it will be amazing.

Comment

In other news, tonight was my work Christmas party, a squally night to head out but head out I did in a very nice coat with nice scarf and hat in toe.

Come leaving time (leaving time to hit another venue) I discover that my coat is gone. Now, one could consider somebody picking up the wrong coat in a drunken state and consixer it fair game, but this cunt took my hat out of my left coat pocket and my scarf out of my right coat pocket, left them both there and took my coat.

If getting home from town on a squally night wasn't bad enough, getting home with no coat was taking the fucking piss.

To add insult to injury, I bought the hat and scarf while Mrs Lao Lao bought the coat so clearly my taste is absolute shit whereas she is in the know.

I'm not sure which is worse, having me coat stolen by a cunt I work with or me missus having better taste in men's clothes than me. #firstworldproblems

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                              There is no excuse needed to go to NYC. My favourite city in the world, if the numbers work, absolutely do it, Gregory Porter aside, it will be amazing.
                                                              Saturday night buzz talk that has to survive the Sunday gloom.

Wife is 40 in May, want to do a lot of special things for her, plus, he's playing NY on Valentine's night.

Comment

It might be checking in with an external IP address over the internet, has to respond to a ping every 2 mins or a specific packet. Theres a tool called wireshark that could analyse data going to and from the app using a PC. Find out what traffic the app generates then could use your phone as a hotspot to respond to pings/packets and spoof the IP/packet. Any networky tech in Uni would be able to help with it I would expect.
                                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Saturday night buzz talk that has to survive the Sunday gloom.

Wife is 40 in May, want to do a lot of special things for her, plus, he's playing NY on Valentine's night.
                                                                  Fuck the numbers and just do it. A trip like.that you will never regret. We booked Vegas for February cos I turned 30 and missus got sole mortgage approval this year which let her buy her ex out of the gaff. We were looking at numbers for about 2 weeks before we just said fuck it and booked it. Can't wait now.

Comment

This not the gist?
                                                                    Yea I suppose if I could dig them out of the cache rather than going through the app that would work but I'm not sure what file format they'd be stored in or how to access the cache! Ah don't worry about it, I just thought there might be an easy answer.

Comment

Haha

Comment

If you are not sure what to get Denny.....

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                          If you are not sure what to get Denny.....

https://www.easons.com/unofficial-je...-9781911622093
                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                          I was expecting a Musk calender
                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 16-12-18, 13:18. Reason: Thought I spoilered

Comment

Originally posted by RTE News
                                                                            Gardaí in Co Roscommon are investigating an attack at a house in the early hours of this morning.

Eight people were injured, three of whom required treatment at Sligo and Mullingar hospitals.

Four vehicles were burned out and one dog was killed.

The attack took place at around 5.30am this morning at a recently repossessed house and farm in Falsk near Strokestown.

Security personnel were at the scene when a large number of men in high-viz jackets arrived and attacked them with baseball bats.

Comment

Is there any way to check what PP's odds were on a market yesterday?

Odd situation where I looked up the rugby FTS market on one of the machines in the local shop. Threw a €10 dart on Conan @14/1.

Returned in triumph just now only to be told PP's odds were 10/1 and 'the machines have different odds to us'. Bizarre.

It's only a small amount but baffled by this. Are they correct and is there a way to check?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                Important question: wife lost her passport in Dublin last night. How does she get her flight back today? (Irish passport). Help greatly appreciated!
                                                                                How the fk has she got an Irish Passport? I haven't even got one of them.

On the passport issue..
                                                                                Did you get her home?

Comment

Video doing the rounds of that Roscommon incident. Assume it was taken before it all kicked off cos it's tame enough with a private security firm dressed in black just dragging lads from the yard outside the gate

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                    Video doing the rounds of that Roscommon incident. Assume it was taken before it all kicked off cos it's tame enough with a private security firm dressed in black just dragging lads from the yard outside the gate
                                                                                    There will be imbeciles on FB claiming there was no dog involved there either

Comment

There will be imbeciles on FB claiming there was no dog involved there either
                                                                                      Dunno. Never bother with the comments section on Facebook. Apparently the video I saw was last Tuesday when they first turned up to evict the people and they've been occupying the house since which lead to last night's incident. I have little sympathy for them anyway, if they're gonna be violent towards people they have to expect violence in return.

Comment

They are correct. The Machines are run by BGT.
                                                                                        My bad so. I was fairly nonplussed but the counter lady said it was a common scenario.

Good to know.

Comment

Anyone got a list of available screeners?

Comment

I've not read anywhere why the eviction took place in Roscommon? Can anybody link to what the residents failed to do to retain possession?
                                                                                            None of their supporters including Fitzmaurice are saying anything about the background except that two of the people are Elderly and that is repeated three times per paragraph in every utterance about it.

Ah sure they are probably only a couple of grand behind and paying a bit every month

Comment

loliverpool ?

Comment

That screen can't be real, can it?

Comment

...

Comment

None of their supporters including Fitzmaurice are saying anything about the background except that two of the people are Elderly and that is repeated three times per paragraph in every utterance about it.

Ah sure they are probably only a couple of grand behind and paying a bit every month
                                                                                                    Rumour is the security guards are nordie loyalist paramilitaries, certainly changes my feelings on the incident a bit, lol

Comment

...

Comment

I guess the implied story is that people connected to the evictees burned down the house so that no-one could have it?
                                                                                                        Was the house burned down? Haven't read that anywhere yet?

Comment

The house was not burned in any way. Damage to front and back door only.
                                                                                                          Thought as much. Have only read of the vans being torched

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                            Rumour is the security guards are nordie loyalist paramilitaries, certainly changes my feelings on the incident a bit, lol

Comment

...

Comment

This Roscommon incident only serves to prove why rural folk should never be allowed access to the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                  This Roscommon incident only serves to prove why rural folk should never be allowed access to the internet.
                                                                                                                  How come there’s never any repurcussions for the urban sophisticates who lend these delinquents money .
                                                                                                                  Let’s not forget Brian o donnell, plenty of dubs who thing paying your mortgage is for the little people too, in fact there was a pretty big chunk of Dublin’s professional classes who hid behind the ail “family home” after being stupid greedy cunts during the boom

Comment

How come there’s never any repurcussions for the urban sophisticates who lend these delinquents money .
                                                                                                                    Let’s not forget Brian o donnell, plenty of dubs who thing paying your mortgage is for the little people too, in fact there was a pretty big chunk of Dublin’s professional classes who hid behind the ail “family home” after being stupid greedy cunts during the boom
                                                                                                                    Twink is the one that comes immediately to mind.
                                                                                                                    Can't pay, they'll take it away seems fair enough imo. It's not like its not pretty much the last resort after dozens of negotiations

Comment

I've not read anywhere why the eviction took place in Roscommon? Can anybody link to what the residents failed to do to retain possession?
                                                                                                                      Some detail here.
                                                                                                                      Revenue seem to have been the main cause of the difficulties with their insistence on being paid.

Comment

So did the guy who was evicted the other week originally own (as in have the mortgage for) the house and he was thrown out by debt collectors for the bank?

Comment

Despite the illegality of these repo men getting a fright bless there cotton socks. Self described Britishers in paramilitary style uniforms dragging elderly folk off there land in full view of the guards who done nothing stinks. No sympathy for the bullying scumbags.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X