Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
    No doubt Eamonhonda will be around with his outrage and get a protest going or something.
    Haha! You must have the wrong impression of me from my comments in here, you'd be surprised how little I care about most things.
    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
      In that case saying my stance is "ridiculous" my be a bit of an overreaction on your part, no!?
      'Someone needs to explain to him that the fact he never even thought it was a bad idea shows how racist he actually is'.

This seems like a general point, i.e. not considering whether something is a bad idea reflects what a racist you are. If the point was specifically about this guy then your stance and what the rest of my post is about obviously don't intersect!

Genuine ignorance is a defence against accusations of racism, rather than a confirmation of them - that was my point. Apologies if I misread what you wrote.

I still don't know what the tongue thing means by the way? If that's from a minstrel show this guy can hardly claim ignorance.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Well first rewind 50 years before moving forward 2:33 mins. That's a clip from the US which had black slaves and from 1968. Whats the specific relevance to what a lad in Enniscorthy does? Did Enniscorthy also have black slaves and lynchings and lack of basic civil rights for African-Americans?
            I do think there's a problem with how we seem to be importing certain standards for outrage from America.

For example, there is/was a tradition - or at least an occasional practice - in some parts of Ireland to black up the face at Halloween to portray 'an púca' - a creature from folklore that amounts to a pre-Christian demon or devil (occasionally nice spirit also). Now, presumably, this callback to our Celtic heritage is out of bounds because of an utterly unrelated tradition from the last century in America. Does that seem irrefutably fair and reasonable? Not convinced.

As an aside, I have no idea if 'blackface' is considered outrageous by black Africans who would vastly outnumber black Americans in Ireland. Does it matter whether black Africans care about it or not in the context of someone doing blackface in Ireland? Not sure.

Probably important to be mindful of the fact that I can never recall hearing a minority complaining about 'political correctness gone mad' at the same time.
            Last edited by Keane; 25-11-18, 14:35.

Comment

South American cup final second leg postponed until tonight after the home fans attacked the Boca juniors bus on the way to the stadium.
              Apparently no away fans are allowed at matches in Argentina

LOL soccer, but might be worth watching if they can get past the 'supporters' tonight
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                South American cup final second leg postponed until tonight after the home fans attacked the Boca juniors bus on the way to the stadium.

LOL soccer, but might be worth watching if they can get past the 'supporters' tonight
                It was due to be played yesterday but there was 4 players in hospital after the attack. There's a tweet going around of a boca training session in a packed stadium and another 50,000 fans outside also. Mental stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                  Haha! You must have the wrong impression of me from my comments in here, you'd be surprised how little I care about most things.
                  Think he's mixing you up with Hectorjelly, the virtue signalling poster par excellence.
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

...Postponed again...Reckon they'll just get an empty stadium with no ref and say have at it lads...

Comment

Deaths are fairly commonplace at games, at least according to this which I read recently.

Football seems to simultaneously embody both the best and the worst of Argentina.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                        It was due to be played yesterday but there was 4 players in hospital after the attack. There's a tweet going around of a boca training session in a packed stadium and another 50,000 fans outside also. Mental stuff.
                        Barras brava

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                          Deaths are fairly commonplace at games, at least according to this which I read recently.

Football seems to simultaneously embody both the best and the worst of humanity.
                          FYP
                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Football seems to simultaneously embody both the best and the worst of Argentina.
                            Have you watched that Gore Vidal/Buckley thing that's on Netflix? Seems like the kind of thing you'd like, though you probably have transcripts of the actual debates. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3518012/

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                              Have you watched that Gore Vidal/Buckley thing that's on Netflix? Seems like the kind of thing you'd like, though you probably have transcripts of the actual debates. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3518012/
                              NO, I must have a look thanks. Have heard of the actual historical event obv. but never seen footage.

Gore Vidal was a rather quotable chap:

It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail.

Comment

@ Shrap, do you listen to much hip hop from the motherland? Came across this gem a while ago and have been listening to a lot more of their stuff...

Comment

Help please techno-geekoids.

Finally caved in and are getting eldest child a phone for Xmas. What is best model for a (forgetful, accident-prone) 12 y/o?

Ideally one where I can snoop on her cyberactivity and set browsing, usage time limits.

Comment

NO, I must have a look thanks. Have heard of the actual historical event obv. but never seen footage.

Gore Vidal was a rather quotable chap:
                                    I was sure he was a hairdresser

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                      @ Shrap, do you listen to much hip hop from the motherland? Came across this gem a while ago and have been listening to a lot more of their stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnj2kzaEN7w
                                      Not much anymore unless on recommendations from friends /family. Will give it a listen cheers

Comment

Help please techno-geekoids.

Finally caved in and are getting eldest child a phone for Xmas. What is best model for a (forgetful, accident-prone) 12 y/o?

Ideally one where I can snoop on her cyberactivity and set browsing, usage time limits.
                                        Moto g6 play. Great phone. Plenty of apps around to moderate content/usage

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                          Moto g6 play. Great phone. Plenty of apps around to moderate content/usage
                                          Thanks.

Seems like you could recommend an app while you're at it? I'd be looking to give her 1 hour max usage per day, be able to see what she's seeing and to lock down dodgy stuff. Like a controlling monster of a parent.

Comment

Comment

Thanks.

Seems like you could recommend an app while you're at it? I'd be looking to give her 1 hour max usage per day, be able to see what she's seeing and to lock down dodgy stuff. Like a controlling monster of a parent.
                                              I know I'm the least qualified person ever to give parental advice but I just can't imagine any scenario where that kind of app could work. At the most fundamental level your kids are always going to be smarter than you, unless you've being deliberately dropping them on their heads.

Comment

Thanks.

Only app I use is life 360 which is a GPS tracker. I pretty much trust them re content, but I've got access to their Gmail accounts so can see anyway. They've got very little data, so can only use Wi-Fi, which is where I put my parental control. Tbh, most of what they look at in YouTube is pretty tame and mostly relates to fortnite these days, although the young one went down the Queen rabbit hole after seeing bohemian rhapsody

Comment

Only app I use is life 360 which is a GPS tracker. I pretty much trust them re content, but I've got access to their Gmail accounts so can see anyway. They've got very little data, so can only use Wi-Fi, which is where I put my parental control. Tbh, most of what they look at in YouTube is pretty tame and mostly relates to fortnite these days, although the young one went down the Queen rabbit hole after seeing bohemian rhapsody
                                                  tx, I'll go with that. Bought the phone for 129 off Amazon, after seeking approval from the end user.

Comment

tx, I'll go with that. Bought the phone for 129 off Amazon, after seeking approval from the end user.
                                                    And for us, they're not allowed to use them during the week, other than if they need to for school.

Comment

Anyone know what the limit is with phone and NFC?

Trying to use N26 as a joint account where I have phone and quear wan has card. Don't believe you can have two active N26 cards.

AIB site says you can exceed the €30 limit with phone payment but it may be restricted by some merchant terminals.

Anyone ever do transactions over the €30 limit with the phone and Google Pay?
                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

My wife bought one of those Huawei phones people were talking about in here, P20 I think. Class phone. Came with a Google home mini. Was going to sell it or gift it but decided it might be handy in the kitchen.

Am casually mentioning 'NorthFace grey jacket' every now and then to see how quick I get an ad for one.

Comment

And for us, they're not allowed to use them during the week, other than if they need to for school.
                                                          That's our current rule for tablets + no TV Mon-Thurs.

Which apparently is quite draconian and tantamount to genocide on the scale of human rights abuses.

Comment

Which apparently is quite draconian and tantamount to genocide on the scale of human rights abuses.
                                                            If I was the benevolent Dictator I used to have RD3 and Kayroo as the only 2 males I'd let reproduce. Down to Kayroo now and pretty sure basic biology says that's going to be messy, though thankfully not in my lifetime.

Comment

Do you have a piano? I find it bizarre the way most people think they're middle class and they don't even have a piano. I'd consider not having a piano in your gaff child abuse.

Comment

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnj2kzaEN7w
                                                                  The only French hip hop album you'll ever need is Jazz Liberatorz - Clin D'eoil
                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Do you have a piano? I find it bizarre the way most people think they're middle class and they don't even have a piano. I'd consider not having a piano in your gaff child abuse.
                                                                    Nope. Eldest went for lessons with the music teacher two doors up and lasted precisely one session. Thus proving she had inherited our musical talents.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                      Anyone know what the limit is with phone and NFC?

Trying to use N26 as a joint account where I have phone and quear wan has card. Don't believe you can have two active N26 cards.

AIB site says you can exceed the €30 limit with phone payment but it may be restricted by some merchant terminals.

Anyone ever do transactions over the €30 limit with the phone and Google Pay?
                                                                      Yeah, Tesco is the only merchant I've come across that limits google pay to €30

Comment

@ Dom, I'll be sitting down for my bacon and cabbage dinner in about 15 mins. Just putting the cabbage on.

Great minds Keano, I did mine in d'oven.

Comment

Any of you ever have a doctor ask you about erectile dysfunction? Think it was a standard question when you're on a shedload of drugs that have side effects. The answer that I haven't been able to jizz myself in the face like I used to apparently was not the correct reply. #things you miss

Comment

If I was the benevolent Dictator I used to have RD3 and Kayroo as the only 2 males I'd let reproduce. Down to Kayroo now and pretty sure basic biology says that's going to be messy, though thankfully not in my lifetime.
                                                                            As a recent father I can confirm
                                                                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                              As a recent father I can confirm
                                                                              Please tell me you have a baby grand piano Give me some hope for the future of humanity.

Comment

Please tell me you have a baby grand piano Give me some hope for the future of humanity.
                                                                                My baby is grand, that's the best I can do

Comment

Piano in our gaff Collie. We're upwardly mobile working class though.

Comment

To ease your worries Collie we have two guitars and a pretty decent keyboard in the house. No room for the baby grand just yet.

Comment

Kicking off in Kiev.
                                                                                      State of war to be declared
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                        Kicking off in Kiev.
                                                                                        State of war to be declared
                                                                                        Didn't the Russians fire at some boats earlier? Doesn't look good anyway

Comment

In a case of almost amazing conincedental timing
                                                                                          The US has starting firing tear gas over the Mexican border at the Caravan of drug dealing isis lepers

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                              The only thing a state of war does is delay elections. Which Poroshenko is going to lose to Yulia whatsername. Both politicians are heavily anti-Russian, so it's not a pro- anti-Russian thing it's a simple dictatorship play.
                                                                                              I'm sure Russian actions have a little bit to do with it. They're effectively created a blockade

Its fascinating (though I'm sure not for your average Ukrainian) the intricies of geopolitics in all of this.
                                                                                              NATO won't get involved past sanctions, us is publicly distancing themselves from NATO. Canada has troops in Ukraine as part of 'Training assistance' which is really a buffer so Russia won't directly attack certain places and Canada has leverage on Ukraine dealings.
                                                                                              Ukraine is massively outgunned and effectively fucked since they surrendered their nuclear deterrent meaning no country on earth will ever do that again (take note NK).
                                                                                              And on the flip side Russian motivations are a matter of controlling their western borders. Ukraine cosying up to nato in recent years was the the justification Putin needed.

Facinating... From a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                In a case of almost amazing conincedental timing
                                                                                                The US has starting firing tear gas over the Mexican border at the Caravan of drug dealing isis lepers

Mohicans should've fired tear gas at those Ulster says No type cunce on the Mayflower. Would have nipped all this in the bud.

Comment

Mohicans should've fired tear gas at those Ulster says No type cunce on the Mayflower. Would have nipped all this in the bud.
                                                                                                  I thought they were Puritans not Presbyterians....

Comment

Speaking of French music I've been listening to a lot of "The Blaze" (electronic duo). Came across them at EP and were one of my highlights. Even booked to see them in Berlin next year.

Comment

...Joe Schmidt to step down after world cup next year...Not surprising but a pity all the same...The success he has had is unbelievable, and we've such a strong squad of players coming through that we should be in good hands for the next few years...
                                                                                                      ...It's amazing how much Irish rugby has progressed compared to the soccer team going backwards in the last while...Reckom Schmidt would get the nod in that job too if he wanted lol...

Comment

Very good very good .

Hey Courier Collie you are the new best poster since Hotspur died.

Comment

Comment

There's no value in poker

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Comment

Magnus Carlsen must be trolling Caruna in the World Chess, he's just offered a draw to take the tournament into a biltz playoff on wednesday when he had a very playable position and time advantage. All 12 games have ended drawn with both players at different stages blowing up when in promising positions, most noticeably Magnus in one of the early games.

Comment

Off to Belfast on Saturday, dinner sorted but any bar/late bar recommendations for a few 40 somethings not full of 18yo's welcome.

Comment

Today's hangover is all kinds of special.

Comment

...

Comment

Chip and a chair table tennis style......

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                                        ...Joe Schmidt to step down after world cup next year...Not surprising but a pity all the same...The success he has had is unbelievable, and we've such a strong squad of players coming through that we should be in good hands for the next few years...
                                                                                                                        ...It's amazing how much Irish rugby has progressed compared to the soccer team going backwards in the last while...Reckom Schmidt would get the nod in that job too if he wanted lol...
                                                                                                                        The best coach, in any sport, we've ever seen in Ireland imo.

Interesting that he said he's getting out of the coaching game altogether. Obviously knows it's all downhill from Ireland.

Comment

Today's hangover is all kinds of special.
                                                                                                                          You seem to be on a George Best post-op experimental buzz.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X