Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's occupational so employer bit doesn't matter then. I need to figure out how much I want at the end of it in the pot.
    Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
    ...Thanks for the reminder TAR, I really gotta sort mine out...Currently my job stick in 11% of salary, and I'm sticking in 0%...31 now, reckon I really need to start thinking about future Liam...
    I'm curious does everybody get capitals for their name or just me? is it related to the .'s? Yeah get on it, I didn't do it for years either as I couldn't afford to and the earlier the better.

Originally posted by Keane View Post
    I made the gut-wrenching decision last week to reduce my pension payments down to the min 4% to get the max employer contribution (8%) for a couple of months. I didn't really expect buying a house to eat so badly into my cash reserves, but need the extra wiggle room to get the old emergency fund back up to scratch.

It's sickening the paltry amount extra coming into the bank account compared to the previous payment into the pension fund. I mean it's half obviously, but it feels like a real kick in the goolies not to be maxing out them juicy tax breaks.
    I don't know the feeling, these avocado toasts mean there is no house fund for my kind!
    I can only imagine there is much more stuff to a house that I well, imagine. Don't want to think about it yet. Once you are done with yours I'll get ETF and house lessons off ya.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
      Yes. Did anyone advise you on this when you were getting it setup?
      Yes, I spent an afternoon with someone from Irish Life putting some money into a 5 year plan thing, and setting up the pension.
      Though she said No when I asked if I could make a payment in respect of last year - she said I could go back to the start of this year but not last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
        Yes, I spent an afternoon with someone from Irish Life putting some money into a 5 year plan thing, and setting up the pension.
        Though she said No when I asked if I could make a payment in respect of last year - she said I could go back to the start of this year but not last year.

Is this pension in respect of a new employment in 2018? If it’s an occupational scheme related to a new 2018 employment than its true that you can’t contribute to that particular scheme in relation to a previous tax year.

However, you could still do a prsa now for 2017. However if you setup a prsa with Irish life, which I suspect you did, and she said no to 2017 pension contributions that’s just wrong and terrible advice. It’s costing them money and giving you wrong info. Terrible stuff.

I’m intrigued as to what the 5 year plan thing is. Is this just a savings plan?
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Is this pension in respect of a new employment in 2018? If it’s an occupational scheme related to a new 2018 employment than its true that you can’t contribute to that particular scheme in relation to a previous tax year.
          Nope not new employment. Its not to do with employer anyway, they don't contribute anything.

However, you could still do a prsa now for 2017. However if you setup a prsa with Irish life, which I suspect you did, and she said no to 2017 pension contributions that’s just wrong and terrible advice. It’s costing them money and giving you wrong info. Terrible stuff.
          I just logged in there now, it's called a 'Navigator Personal' Pension Plan.
          I just went into my local Ulster Bank to meet the Irish Life person, they seem to have a partnership.
          This is the blurb.
          Can you maybe give it a 60 second scan to see if I've made a big mis-step and should go for something else. I suppose the main thing being if it should actually allow me to contribute for last year.

I’m intrigued as to what the 5 year plan thing is. Is this just a savings plan?
          Aye, its a 5 year investment bond thing with them, they turned 60K into 75K in a previous 5 year bond so I just rolled it over.

Comment

Nope not new employment. Its not to do with employer anyway, they don't contribute anything.

I just logged in there now, it's called a 'Navigator Personal' Pension Plan.
            I just went into my local Ulster Bank to meet the Irish Life person, they seem to have a partnership.
            This is the blurb.
            Can you maybe give it a 60 second scan to see if I've made a big mis-step and should go for something else. I suppose the main thing being if it should actually allow me to contribute for last year.

Aye, its a 5 year investment bond thing with them, they turned 60K into 75K in a previous 5 year bond so I just rolled it over.
            Man you’re the reason a bank branch network still exists. I see no reason why you can’t backdate the payment for the 2017 tax year. Ask the adviser to confirm in writing that you can t make a contribution for 2017.

How much allocation are you getting on the pension and what charges are you paying on the savings plan? Any particular reason why you didn’t go seek independent advice. It would already have paid for itself.
            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Man you’re the reason a bank branch network still exists. I see no reason why you can’t backdate the payment for the 2017 tax year. Ask the adviser to confirm in writing that you can t make a contribution for 2017.

How much allocation are you getting on the pension and what charges are you paying on the savings plan? Any particular reason why you didn’t go seek independent advice. It would already have paid for itself.
              Cheers, 'I don't know' is probably the answer to pretty much everything.
              I'll read the paperwork over the weekend to find out the allocation rate, and will report back for general lolling.

Comment

Fedrerer looking dodgy at Wimbledon.
                'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                  Fedrerer looking dodgy at Wimbledon.
                  ...Very dodgy right now...

Comment

Cheers, 'I don't know' is probably the answer to pretty much everything.
                    I'll read the paperwork over the weekend to find out the allocation rate, and will report back for general lolling.
                    Pension charges.
                    Just read a big pdf file there, great fun.

Allocation seems to be 99%, is that good. It seems a nice high figure.

% of contribution invested 99%
                    charges
                    Yearly Fund Charge .90%. Yearly Plan Charge .25%.
                    Also
                    A plan fee will be deducted from your fund on a monthly basis. The fee is currently €4.69 a month and increases in line with the CPI.
                    But the biggie I think is this one.
                    What Intermediary Sales/Renumeration is payable?
                    Year 1. €6116.
                    Year 2. €512.
                    Year 3. €517.
                    Year 10. €927.
                    Year 15. €994.
                    Does that mean what I think it means, that someone is taking 33% of my first year contributions and a small but steady percentage afterwards?
                    That seems, well, wrong.

Apols for boring everyone.
                    Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 11-07-18, 16:26.

Comment

...Absolute epic match this Federer Anderson...8-8 on serve in the 5th set...

Comment

An Englishman and Frenchman are chatting in a bar. Englishman says " we're playing Croatia on Wednesday" the Frenchman says " what a coincidence, we're playing them Sunday".
                        Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

...Absolute epic match this Federer Anderson...8-8 on serve in the 5th set...
                          10-10. They should be made to drink a shot between points.
                          'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

Comment

€6,000 first year fees on a €75,000 fund. My good god. They saw you coming.

Having said that, I've no idea of the fees on my pension either and no real clue how it turns into something at retirement.
                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                              10-10. They should be made to drink a shot between points.
                              ...Stop lying M8, it's 11-11...

Comment

Beyond the public sector pension I just lump the spare loot into blue chip stock. Costs fook all, easy to understand, and element of gamble.
                                “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                  Beyond the public sector pension I just lump the spare loot into blue chip stock. Costs fook all, easy to understand, and element of gamble.
                                  ...Visa and Amazon have been so good to me for so long in this regard...

Comment

...Stop lying M8, it's 11-11...
                                    ...WOW, Federer out...Had a match point to win in straight sets, and loses 13-11 in the 5th...What a comeback from Anderson...
                                    ...Pity, I would have loved a Federer Nadal final...

Comment

No joy as expected unfortunately TylerD. Martingale it.
                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                        On China's sea power, the miliatry spend is nothing compared to what they are doing in trade. State owned Chinese companies are slowly becoming the largest players in their field. In the last 5 years, for example, the state owned shipping line has gone from number 6 in the world to soon to be the number 3 spot through a series of acquistions worth billions that come from bottomless government coffers. They are also hoovering up ports and terminals all over the world, all designed to create a seemless route to market for the goods they produce.
                                        Seems as AJ is boring people with pensions I'll bore people with how China is dominating the seas/trade.

Cosco Shipping Holdings is an investment holding company principally engaged in container shipping and related businesses. It's a state owned Chinese entitiy. They own a shipping line called COSCO and terminals all over the world.

COSCO is the 4th biggest shipping line in the world.

Last week, Cosco Shipping Holdings got the final regulatory approval (5 from different bodies around the globle were required) to purchase OOCL in conjunction with SIPG (Shanghai Intl Port Group) (OOCL is the 8th biggest shipping line in the world) The combined shipping entity will be the 3rd biggest shipping line in the world.

Shanghai Intl Port Group is the exclusive operator of all the public terminals in the Port of Shanghai and is owned by the Chinese government.

The deal was that Cosco Shipping Holdings would own 90.1% and SIPG would own 9.9% however, they wanted to keep OOCL's listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange so in order to do so, they had to meet the 25% public shareholding threshold.

So, they agreed to sell shares to the following groups in the below percentages. They also agreed to sell the shares to each party for the same price they bought them for

Cosco Shipping Holdings - 75%
                                        Shanghai Intl Port Group - 9.9%
                                        Silk Road Fund 7.7%
                                        CK Hutchison - 5.0%
                                        SDIC 2.4%

Silk Road Fund is a state owned investment fund of the Chinese government

CK Hutchison is a Cayman Islands–registered multinational conglomerate headquartered in Hong Kong. The company was formed in March 2015 through the merger of Cheung Kong Holdings and its main associate company Hutchison Whampoa. (Cheung Kong (Holdings) Limited, was a multinational conglomerate, based in Hong Kong - Hutchison Whampoa Limited (HWL) was an investment holding company based in Hong Kong)

SDIC is a Chinese state owned investment compnay controlled by the State Council of China

Last edited by Lao Lao; 11-07-18, 16:45.

Comment

Well said Bogey

https://youtu.be/2QvnvNk-uCQ

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                            An Englishman and Frenchman are chatting in a bar. Englishman says " we're playing Croatia on Wednesday" the Frenchman says " what a coincidence, we're playing them Sunday".
                                            If any of you lot BBV Croatia I will hunt you down and kill you. I may not follow football, but I can't stand the arrogance of the fkrs and I don't want to listen to the commentators till the day I die bang on about 1966 AND 2018

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                              If any of you lot BBV Croatia I will hunt you down and kill you. I may not follow football, but I can't stand the arrogance of the fkrs and I don't want to listen to the commentators till the day I die bang on about 1966 AND 2018
                                              If you don't follow football you won't hear the commentators so problem solved now run along and make some tea and sandwiches like a good woman

On another note, heard some sports shops in Scotland sold out of Croatia jerseys and couldn't keep up with demand lol

Comment

How do you raise money for a massive balloon that portrays Trump as a baby and manage to get the direction of his hair part wrong. Quite tilting.
                                                “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Investments aren't included

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                  It's that time again When looking at maximum pension contributions I assume it's based on total earnings per year? That would include bonus'? How about investments?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                    If you don't follow football you won't hear the commentators so problem solved now run along and make some tea and sandwiches like a good woman

On another note, heard some sports shops in Scotland sold out of Croatia jerseys and couldn't keep up with demand lol
                                                    Haha My hubby has it on and can't get away from it lol. It used to bug me as a kid/teen when I was right into football. Just got fed up as I got older.
                                                    I am sitting in East Midlands airport in the Croatia colours

Comment

Haha My hubby has it on and can't get away from it lol. It used to bug me as a kid/teen when I was right into football. Just got fed up as I got older.
                                                      I am sitting in East Midlands airport in the Croatia colours
                                                      Which as luck would have it are also the England colours so you'll fit in lol

Comment

Ye had your chance 4 years ago and pussied out. Sing your anthem and support your Overlords like a good Commonwealth lady there

Comment

uh oh
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Which as luck would have it are also the England colours so you'll fit in lol
                                                            They will know who I am supporting if they get an equaliser.

The fkn roar of the cunts here. Reserved tables for a bunch of them all round the big TV's at the bar.

Comment

They will know who I am supporting if they get an equaliser.

The fkn roar of the cunts here. Reserved tables for a bunch of them all round the big TV's at the bar.
                                                              Imagine that. A bar in an English airport full of English people cheering on England. Outrageous

Comment

Pension charges.
                                                                Just read a big pdf file there, great fun.

Allocation seems to be 99%, is that good. It seems a nice high figure.

charges

Also

But the biggie I think is this one.

Does that mean what I think it means, that someone is taking 33% of my first year contributions and a small but steady percentage afterwards?
                                                                That seems, well, wrong.

Apols for boring everyone.
                                                                Can I just preface this by saying I don’t want your business AJ or anyone else’s as this really isn’t the end of the pensions market I’m in.

If you just went shopping online you’d have gotten better value. 99% allocation is shit when 100% allocation is available online with no advice or sales overhead. And it’s not like the advice you got was great...

The annual charges aren’t great either but personal pension products are typically poor value. You’re basically paying 1.15% pa for a standard enough fund. You could get 1% online and maybe better with a good adviser.

The charges on that 75k savings product are certainly worth a review as well as I’d say you’re being rodgered. Are you still in your cooling off period?

By way of comparison I’m looking after a guys 2.15m pot at the minute and only charging 5k (we look after his companies corporate plan hence why I’m bothering) No ongoing charges and I’ll charge a review fee if he needs a review. Better advice and lower charges. Big windows in that bank.

Comment

Imagine that. A bar in an English airport full of English people cheering on England. Outrageous
                                                                  I am not sitting near them lol. I nearly shit myself as I am working down the back of the departure lounge!

So that isn't what I am meaning. Just the noise of them!

Comment

Spent 5 hours in East Midlands once. Premium lounge is essential.

Comment

Good call on Ile Aux Moines Hitch. There’s fuuuuck all near the campsite though. Basically 20 min drive to any civilization. Don’t know how you managed sans car. Nice place though.

Comment

Good call on Ile Aux Moines Hitch. There’s fuuuuck all near the campsite though. Basically 20 min drive to any civilization. Don’t know how you managed sans car. Nice place though.
                                                                        Yeah we became best friends with the local taxi driver. Well not sure about friends, but we definitely funded at least one of his kids through college in fares so he'll remember us fondly.

Ile aux Moines is quite lovely! Presume you've been to places like Vannes before? Can't imagine its too much of a trip in the car. Lot of nice things to do there. Think Raoul was impressed with it too.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                            Yeah we became best friends with the local taxi driver. Well not sure about friends, but we definitely funded at least one of his kids through college in fares so he'll remember us fondly.

Ile aux Moines is quite lovely! Presume you've been to places like Vannes before? Can't imagine its too much of a trip in the car. Lot of nice things to do there. Think Raoul was impressed with it too.
                                                                            Planning on taking the bus in. Find driving in cities stressful on the wrong side of the road and the car and it being a manual. Fucked up on one of those red and black arrow right of way roads yesterday which resulted in the gendarmerie following me for a couple of stressful km.

Comment

Spent 5 hours in East Midlands once. Premium lounge is essential.
                                                                              Not worth 80 quid for us though as we were here since 11.30 this morning.

Been sitting in Castle Rock, done the job. They have a kids play area and the little one has made some new friends.

Comment

Christ, for that long it has to be close even in terms of food and drinks consumed!

Comment

Bit of an odd one.. perhaps someone in recruiting might have some insight.

I have an interview (for a job I really really want) on Monday morning. The recruiter has just sent me an email asking I bring passport and utility bill to the interview for them to take a copy to pass to their "pre-screening" company in the event of a successful interview.

Now I've been out of the interview game for some time now but surely this is highly unusual?
                                                                                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Atmosphere sounds great after that equaliser. Now let's see who's got the Hitch-sized heart.
                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Can I just preface this by saying I don’t want your business AJ or anyone else’s as this really isn’t the end of the pensions market I’m in.
                                                                                      Epic burn.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                        Bit of an odd one.. perhaps someone in recruiting might have some insight.

I have an interview (for a job I really really want) on Monday morning. The recruiter has just sent me an email asking I bring passport and utility bill to the interview for them to take a copy to pass to their "pre-screening" company in the event of a successful interview.

Now I've been out of the interview game for some time now but surely this is highly unusual?
                                                                                        Any UK financial services firm with an Irish operation will generally do a background check and require this sort of info. I’ve had to provide my address for the past 5 years on previous occasions. I’m not sure if it’s a requirement for all Irish financial services firms but if you are being passed by a fitness and probity test for the CBI it may well be required.

Comment

Any UK financial services firm with an Irish operation will generally do a background check and require this sort of info. I’ve had to provide my address for the past 5 years on previous occasions. I’m not sure if it’s a requirement for all Irish financial services firms but if you are being passed by a fitness and probity test for the CBI it may well be required.
                                                                                          Ok. But Im in engineering not financial services

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                            Ok. But Im in engineering not financial services
                                                                                            Chinese spy perhaps?

Comment

Chinese spy perhaps?
                                                                                              Ha! Certainly not the last time I checked.

I've also been a supplier to this company for 7 years now... I'm definitely not a stranger.

Comment

If England don’t win tonight Roy is going to be epic on ITV. Said at half time that the players will never forgive themselves if they don’t win...

Comment

England all over the shop.

France will stroll the final against whoever stays upright here. Does seem somewhat unfair to have that extra 24hrs of rest\preparation\recovery - especially if this goes to ET?

Comment

What odds were Croatia to win before the tournie started?

Comment

This must be having a mindboggling impact on the Croat population. Their tiny little country in with a chance to get to the final. Yet haven't seen a single article on that, but a million on how England 'need' this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                        What odds were Croatia to win before the tournie started?
                                                                                                        33/1
                                                                                                        PMA

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                          England all over the shop.

France will stroll the final against whoever stays upright here. Does seem somewhat unfair to have that extra 24hrs of rest\preparation\recovery - especially if this goes to ET?
                                                                                                          Should be a lump job @ 4/6 after this match is over. But then I remember 2016 in Paris, against a Ronaldo-less Portugal.....shudders....

Comment

Croats dead on their feet, Modric is wrecked!

Comment

The pace they played the last 30mins of second half was crazy, looks like gave it all

Rose looks like he is carrying his left leg
                                                                                                              PMA

Comment

Modric is pulling the strings in that team

Comment

Never lost it bbv, never lost it....

Comment

Jaysis, England played for 45 mins of 120.

Croatia were blessed to get to half time only 1 down, England blessed to make it to 90 after only being 1 up!

Comment

Poor Dobby and Lazare , a great footballing team are going home. Thoughts are with you.

Comment

Dolazi kući

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                                          Poor Dobby and Lazare , a great footballing team are going home. Thoughts are with you.
                                                                                                                          Thoughts and prayers.....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X