Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Was thinking the conversation would be about the US's 15,000 cases so far today. But no, it's some weird denny argument that he's playing a blinder.
    Was talking with two of my siblings that live in NY today. Their lack of concern about the situation is astonishing to me. The sister sounded like she was a bit down over her stock portfolio going down the toilet, but other than that meh.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Merkel gone into self quarantene.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post

Looked it too! The sound of the cursor moving brings back so many memories. It was a tricky game at times, but once you got got the hang of it, you could rattle in some centuries. The times where the red went into the pocket and didn't drop was the killer. Almost impossible to pot it and screw back
        haha yeah that was a killer, either that or a certain shot froze the game in many cases. On the game Match Day my brother hated the keys so much he used the fuller joystick instead which I knew was a mistake as I felt it took longer to transmit the signal but silence is golden!.
        Years later we watched Home Alone and remember Kevins brother Fuller. I said 'Fuller Joystick' to great laughs!. Ah its the small things.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
          The highlighted above isn't true to date though.

The most successful country to date especially if you have questions around the Chinese numbers is SK and they haven't applied the same draconian measures as others.

Similar can be said of Hong Kong & Singapore who have also been relatively lenient in their restrictions yet have been successful in containing the outbreak.

The draconian measures are not proving to be successful anywhere outside of China and if you believe their numbers are false then there's little merit in their effectiveness to date.
          Hong Kong have done a stunning job with containment.

Within just days of the first case confirmed in Hong Kong, an emergency response level was declared, quarantine stations were established, schools and public facilities were closed, and official celebrations for the Chinese New Year (the largest social event of the year) were canceled.
          I remembering reading about them closing schools until the end of April after a handful of confirmed cases. I thought it as somewhat of an overreaction at the time.

They currently have 317 cases with 4 deaths out of a population of 7.3 million. Remarkable considering the influx of workers in and out of China.

I think we are guilty in the West of not having our eye on the ball when the problem and workaround was a known.

Hong Kong are currently experiencing a mini second wave. Winter holiday makers coming back from hot spots in Europe.

In other news played a round of golf today with a buddy. We both had best intentions to keep at least 2 meters apart. Lapsed into old habits quite a few times. You really have to be concentrating 100% of the time on the social distancing. So easy to get distracted when trying to concentrate on the game. We both swerved the handshake that the end at least and just touched putter bases in a cheers like gesture. Wonderful to get out and about.
          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

New cases:

Ireland 102. 1 death sadly.
              Italy 5560. Nice little drop.

New York 12000
              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                  Unless you buy it direct. Your €15 bottle of wine in Ireland is €4.29 here (actual example of a wine we drink)

Not the best wine we have ever had by any means but a very acceptable bottle. Better than a Tuesday bottle at any rate
                  Ah yeah, I'm only talking Irish prices.

Our tax regime here sadly doesn't allow for French/Spanish prices.

I've had very limited experience of buying direct from a vineyard but when I did, the saving was pretty decent, around 30%

Comment

Been playing table tennis since getting here, the only 'sport' I even attempted as a kid. Awful at the beginning of the week, but its mad to see some of the old moves coming back gradually over the days - must be some sort of innate thing once you pick it up. Just can't quite seem to stop the wife slaughtering me. Anyone come across any useful sets of videos online that I could sneak in to be beaten less badly? I see YouTube is full of them, just wondering if anyone has any to recommend.
                    If there is one thing I've learned is that a good judge of someones ability as a ping pong player is proportionate to how far away they stand from the table.

No recommendations for vids. Sorry Hitch.
                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                      Cannot wait for all the sport to start back up.

It'll be like the olympics but with real sports.
                      About 20 of us in a whatsapp group pressed play on 2002 Masters final round on youtube @ 7pm exactly.

It's working. Have convinced myself it's live.

Comment

Comment

In happier news, cooked a nice piece of rib roast today.

SPOILER

Made a delish gravy with the meat drippings, so beefy from the fat.

At least when society crumbles and there is no electric, we can still bbq !
                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                            Convincing video if you ignore that he declared it an emergency in Jan.
                            It was good stuff he did the travel ban. Fair fucks. Loads of stuff he has done since have been shit.

Comment

Comment

Not surprised about this. One lad meant to be isolating. Top parenting

Comment

Been playing table tennis since getting here, the only 'sport' I even attempted as a kid. Awful at the beginning of the week, but its mad to see some of the old moves coming back gradually over the days - must be some sort of innate thing once you pick it up. Just can't quite seem to stop the wife slaughtering me. Anyone come across any useful sets of videos online that I could sneak in to be beaten less badly? I see YouTube is full of them, just wondering if anyone has any to recommend.
                                  I play quite a lot in work, luxury of a start up that the Ping Pong is next to my desk.

No videos but I find the difference is the serve. I beat the people I have a better serve than and I lose to the people I don't.

Get one or two different serves down and you'll have a far better chance.

Comment

Comment

Queen concert from Montreal on Sky Arts was a cracking way to spend a boring Sunday evening. Freddie was different class.

Comment

Do you do the fancy Chinese serve or just a regular as low as possible over the net serve?
                                        The latter for sure. One backhand and one underhand. I'm probably below average in the place to be honest. Some have basically played every day for 2 years.

One guy is unbelievable, never seems to move but he just flicks his wrist and generates so much speed.
                                        Another girl is very good too, she just seems to return everything.

It's such a good sport, you'd never think until you play it but it's addictive.

Comment

Hitch, best advice would be don't try to win rallies, let the other person lose them instead. Concentrate on getting the ball back.
                                          Let the other person be the one doing the forehand smashes, you should just stand a distance behind the table and spin it back at them. They'll eventually miss.
                                          You'll just leak points if you try to smash your way through a marginally better player.

Comment

Anyone else see those videos floating around WhatsApp of the US freight trains?

About a mile long of military vehicles. Crazy stuff.
                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                              Hitch, best advice would be don't try to win rallies, let the other person lose them instead. Concentrate on getting the ball back.
                                              Let the other person be the one doing the forehand smashes, you should just stand a distance behind the table and spin it back at them. They'll eventually miss.
                                              You'll just leak points if you try to smash your way through a marginally better player.
                                              I'd say you t off with a 5 iron.

Smash and live. You'll lose but at least those winners will give you a semi.

Comment

Everything changes in table tennis when both you and the opposition have proper rackets. We call normal rackets levellers. When you get a decent racket, you're back to being worse than a beginner. Understanding and countering spin is ruthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                  Anyone else see those videos floating around WhatsApp of the US freight trains?

About a mile long of military vehicles. Crazy stuff.
                                                  The US is as scary a place as anywhere on earth . Every gobshite has a gun. Many will die from testosterone.

Comment

HH angle the bat

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                      but wouldn't they be standard enough? Presume others while sitting in their hotel room in The Rio have seen the monstrous freight trains rumble through. Would take what seemed like 15 minutes to pass but most likely half that?
                                                      The ones I saw weren't actually trains, just miles of military vehicle convoys (in San Diego I think)

Comment

Spare a thought for the hipsters. Losing the identity as every man Jack is sporting a beard now ..of sorts

Comment

Seeing multiple videos and pics of US mobilisation. Talk of national guard being deployed nationwide but looks like New York specific which, as an action, doesn't feel like its too out there

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yanks are going to shoot themselves to pieces pretending they are in the Walking Dead.

Comment

Ah ffs

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                                                                Seeing multiple videos and pics of US mobilisation. Talk of national guard being deployed nationwide but looks like New York specific which, as an action, doesn't feel like its too out there

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
                                                                Those vids are couple of days old no? Where are people seeing these new vids?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                  but wouldn't they be standard enough? Presume others while sitting in their hotel room in The Rio have seen the monstrous freight trains rumble through. Would take what seemed like 15 minutes to pass but most likely half that?
                                                                  Yeah I witnessed one myself on a drive from LA to Vegas. Amazing to see.
                                                                  Was more the cargo in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                    Ah ffs

Was the exact same on Thursday and Friday. Was delivering to a place just down the road.

Comment

Was able to share it via twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                        Was able to share it via twitter

That;s 2 or 3 days ago.

Comment

... Not sure how to get the video from Facebook...It is a running timeline of the coronavirus cases...

Comment

Get Merch designed with ❤ from https://kgs.link/shop-120 Join the Patreon Bird Army

Comment

Getting the army to stop looting obvs, the yanks love a bit of looting in times of crisis !
                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Haven't watched Trump speak for quite some time.

Rambling self-congratulation while Pence stands behind him like an unblinking automaton. You forget how nuts he is.
                                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Now he's jiggling like a little boy who needs a piss while the FEMA guy speaks.

Comment

Maybe one of the scientific types can answer this one.

In theory, if every family in the world self-isolated for, say, the next four weeks, what would happen with covid? Would it 'die out' or what would happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                      But it's undeniable that he took this seriously before anyone else.
                                                                                      I think you are confusing the vainglorious seizing of an opportunity to stick a knife in his enemy with taking covid seriously and acting ahead of the curve.
                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                        Maybe one of the scientific types can answer this one.

In theory, if every family in the world self-isolated for, say, the next four weeks, what would happen with covid? Would it 'die out' or what would happen?
                                                                                        Yes in theory but there were extreme cases in China where it took 5 weeks after displaying symptoms to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                          Why is it the relevant bit? Why are people getting so touchy about this whole thing? People are entitled to have the opinion that putting a huge number of people together in an enclosed area at the early stages of the current situation wasn't a good decision. Whether this guy contracted the virus in Cheltenham, or had it in Ireland and carried it over to Cheltenham to spread to huge numbers of people he would have been in close proximity with or whether he contracted it since his return is all largely irrelevant. The fact remains, it shouldn't have gone ahead. I am almost certain the numbers that will, unfortunately, come out of England over the next few weeks will be catastrophic partly down to completely stupid decisions made to allow things like this to go ahead.

Opr
                                                                                          If not running Cheltenham behind closed doors was a bad decision by the Jockey club and the government who advised them to go ahead then the decision to fly in 5000 soccer fans from the second worst affected area in Europe for a match in Liverpool was way way worse... and I would guess there were a large number of Irish people travelled to that as well.

Comment

Because I've been using Zoom a lot over the last week I played around with a green screen and virtual background tonight. Green screen was a disposable green rain poncho tacked onto the wall. Worked very well.

Comment

Oro stay the fuck abhaile,
                                                                                              Oro stay the fuck abhaileee
                                                                                              And nigh thy fking laimhe

Comment

Is it my imagination or have NetFlix lowered the quality of their transmissions?

I've checked the hardware settings and data speeds but 4k definition is definitely not coming off my screen.

First world problems etc but I'd expect even Trump to recognise the gravity of this.

Comment

This is what were were being told last week as well... Was it Holohan who said it would require c.15 minutes sharing personal space to transmit, it was certainly HSE information.

Comment

Ultimately we require a full lockdown. Cheltenhem and the Liverpool / Madrid match and queues of people at a chipper or a cafe are all different sides of the same coin: people will do whatever suits them and will always feel individually entitled to entertain themselves. We will need police / army on the streets actively taking individual choice away. For at least a month unbroken.

Cheltenhem is emotive here because so many on here are into horse racing and have travelled to similar festivals over the years. But I would reserve my ire for the organisers and the government that allowed it to go ahead before the people who attended. We had lads cramming into bookies and pubs railing the action in Dublin. Fundamentally it is far more about allowing people the leeway to make bad choices. Choice must be removed for the service of the greater good for a period.
                                                                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                                      Is it my imagination or have NetFlix lowered the quality of their transmissions?

I've checked the hardware settings and data speeds but 4k definition is definitely not coming off my screen.

First world problems etc but I'd expect even Trump to recognise the gravity of this.
                                                                                                      EU asked them to reduce quality so the Internet kept flowing properly during Coronavirus crisis (think that’s the correct terminology )

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                        Ultimately we require a full lockdown. Cheltenhem and the Liverpool / Madrid match and queues of people at a chipper or a cafe are all different sides of the same coin: people will do whatever suits them and will always feel individually entitled to entertain themselves. We will need police / army on the streets actively taking individual choice away. For at least a month unbroken.

Cheltenhem is emotive here because so many on here are into horse racing and have travelled to similar festivals over the years. But I would reserve my ire for the organisers and the government that allowed it to go ahead before the people who attended. We had lads cramming into bookies and pubs railing the action in Dublin. Fundamentally it is far more about allowing people the leeway to make bad choices. Choice must be removed for the service of the greater good for a period.
                                                                                                        Moral of the story, people are stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Yep, all streamers have reduced bandwidth usage.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                            In happier news, cooked a nice piece of rib roast today.

SPOILER

Made a delish gravy with the meat drippings, so beefy from the fat.

At least when society crumbles and there is no electric, we can still bbq !
                                                                                                            Fucking hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                              If not running Cheltenham behind closed doors was a bad decision by the Jockey club and the government who advised them to go ahead then the decision to fly in 5000 soccer fans from the second-worst affected area in Europe for a match in Liverpool was way worse... and I would guess there were a large number of Irish people traveled to that as well.
                                                                                                              Is there really a need to point this out? It just feels like such a petty shot. I fully agree and my posts extend to all large gatherings of people that went ahead. This isn't some partisan thing in which people need to defend their sport. I couldn't give a toss if the league doesn't get played out and if Liverpool need to wait another 50 years for a title. It is just so insignificant in the current situation. Even work just seems so stupid in the present climate.

Personally, this has all made me reevaluate my disregard for politics. I would have been very much in the Brand ideal that disengagement was warranted given the complete lack of difference or significant movement in idealogy between the parties. Having watched the capable people we have in charge navigate the current waters with a particular shoutout to Harris who has garnered such respect form me and who I think has just been so amazing on so many levels has really hit home how much having educated, intelligent and capable people in charge has an effect on peoples lives.

We are facing something which should unite us as a human race against a common enemy and all the things we consider life should fall into insignificance at the moment. If anything good could have come out of this it would be that shared humanity and the need to protect us all as a whole and we are not nearly as divided as we think but yet we have ended up with absolute buffons in a change in certain sections of the world which has made that message impossible.

Opr
                                                                                                              Last edited by Opr; 23-03-20, 00:16.

Comment

@ole, have you tried sous vide? Got one for xmas and consistent fab results for ribeyes/sirloins so far
                                                                                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                  Oro stay the fuck abhaileee
                                                                                                                  And nigh thy fking laimhe

Robbing this

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                                    @ole, have you tried sous vide? Got one for xmas and consistent fab results for ribeyes/sirloins so far
                                                                                                                    Oh yeah, got a machine a good few years ago, went and bought a full fillet and did some great steaks, great for chicken breasts also, no moisture lost...the best, for me...was carrots, they cook in their own juice, with a nice knob of butter, unreal they are...still use it the odd time.

The vac packer i got the same time is used a bit more often, i will do a pork neck on the bbq, portion it up and vac seal them and then freeze them. pot of boiling water and the vac packed pork neck heats up really good, smell of the bbq stays the same once opened.

Edit: wife gives out to me about taking pics of food and food i cook.

Thing is...ask me about a holiday i had 4 years ago in lanza or italy...its a blur, show me a pic of a meal i had and its instant memory, can remember what i was wearing that night and what i did pre/post meal....coming froma guy who has a really bad memory, its strange..

anyway...my first sous vide...i had pics...lol

SPOILER

Nov 2016 date, so not that far off.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by oleras; 23-03-20, 01:34.
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

When we made love you used to cry...gets me in the feels every time.

I cant do anything 'cept be in love with you..

Real Live Roadrunning is a concert film recorded live on 28th June 2006 at the Gibson Amphitheatre in Los Angeles towards the end of Mark and Emmylous' tour ...
                                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Buy/stream "El Dorado" here: http://MK.lnk.to/eldoradoMarcus King covers "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You" by Bob Dylan in Los Angeles. Recorded for ya...
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                          This is what were were being told last week as well... Was it Holohan who said it would require c.15 minutes sharing personal space to transmit, it was certainly HSE information.
                                                                                                                          I can't remember who said it, but yes it was a civil servant /HSE type, not a politician. Even if there had been some research to indicate that you couldn't get infected in 15 minutes, it shows no understanding of human behaviour to say so in public.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X